Brown Bag Wallpaper

I live in an old home and many times the plastered walls have cracks in them. Here is an alternative if the cracks keep showing up soon after you paint. I "papered" my walls in brown paper and rosin paper that have been painted.

I wanted to go with a copper theme and have always wanted an elegant bathroom so I took pieces of brown craft paper and tore them into irregular pieces, saving some of the ones with a straight edge for where the ceiling and the wall meet. I then crumpled them all up very hard and then semi smoothed them out so that you could clearly see the wrinkles in them.

I used a sponge brush and brushed on copper leaf paint on some, barely touching the surface of the wrinkles and then used gold spray paint on others. Let them dry (doesn't take long at all) and then apply them with wallpaper paste. The wall should be sized first.

I already have a claw foot tub and my kids inserted a sink into a dresser that I faux painted and applied copper paint stenciling. I had rough plastered walls so the roughness of the walls added to the dimension of the treatment. My curtains are copper colored and I made a shower curtain with some copper color in it and put copper colored beading on the edges. I painted the bottom of my claw foot bathtub brown.

By Elaine from Belle Plaine, IA

This is really beautiful!

Wow! It is absolutely beautiful!

You not only did a stellar job, but the photos' are nice, too. This reminds me of an ice cream shop in Old San Diego, and the flooring was done in old news print. It looked really neat. Very creative!

I love this look. We are currently redoing my youngest daughters old bedroom and I showed this to my hubby and he loves it too.

Not sure if it will work for a bedroom but am willing to try. TFS

I would love to see more pictures of this bathroom. Mine needs redone, and I would love to "steal" your ideas. I love the idea of using the dresser as a vanity. The whole room is beautiful!

Hi Sandy, the bathroom is small so I only have a picture of the clawfoot tub and shower surround. Just to show you how much it improved, when I bought the house, this is how the bath looked. LOL, quite a change.

Hi Sandy, since the bathroom is small, I will show you the clawfoot tub and shower surround but there is not a whole lot more of the bath. You might be interested in seeing the before pic too and I will post it if I can be allowed to post more than one pic.

THis is absolutely beautiful. I remember That lady. I cannot remember her name now but she had a show on TV on HGTV a long time ago and she was a designer. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Anyway she taught how to do this and I wished that i had been able to videotape her show so I would know how to do this again.

Now thanks to your lovely article I can actually do this. I love this and I too love the copper look since i live in the southwest Arizona, so the look is perfect. Thank you. You did a beautiful job.

Anonymous

Great job!

This is lovely. I did the brown paper technique over vinyl tile floors several years ago. It's necessary to put four to seven coats of urethane over it. It wears very well.

I absolutely love this! A dream creation, as I'm a major copper lover and love brown bag crafts!!! Magnificent!!!

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating WallpaperDecember 20, 2011
👒
🐛
🌻
👔
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf55211869.tip.html