Bathroom Paint Color Advice

Bathroom Paint Color Advice, Several paint cans, paint chip cards, and a roller and brush.
Choosing the perfect color paint for your bathroom can be very confusing. You have to consider the existing colors of such things as the tile, fixtures, flooring, cabinets, etc. This is a guide about bathroom paint color advice.

Some of you may recognize this suggestion, as I have written it several times. When I am in doubt about paint color, I take a look at nature; I consider green to be a neutral color. Green grass, trees, leaves of all shades. Green seems to go with any color. All the colors of flowers go with green. It is safe, serene, and clean; you can't fail with green.

By hopeful from temporarily in Texas - Salem, OR

My husband does not like the beige walls in his bathroom. We wish to retain the dark brown shower curtain and bath set. The sink and tub are kind of a creamy off white. The toilet is white. The floor tile is a mottled beige. What wall color would you suggest?

By Belinda

Answer Was this helpful? 2

If it would not make the room too dark, what about a brown a few shades lighter than the shower set? A golden yellow or medium green could also work. Turquoise and brown is another possibility. Hope this helps.

A very light coral, light minty green-pale yellow. Any pastel color but a very light one would look nice. Good luck

And my color would be to go black. Sort of a reverse negative. I accented my bright green sewing/crafting/computer room with BLACK. O M G. Thought I was nuts with the green, then add the black? But it works great! Curtains, etc. So a black wall.....backspace for alot of contrast items.

I have a small bathroom with gray/white floor tile and a white vanity with black/white top. Any suggestions for wall color?

By Sharon

Answer Was this helpful? 2

I cannot do a major renovation in my bathroom, but I need a cheap fix for now. I would like suggestions to paint my vanity to match the existing tiles on the wall. Suggest color for vanity, counter top, and a wall to wall bathroom carpet. The toilet and tub is white. I have sliding doors on the tub, mirror and glass with chrome trimming.

My daughter is renting a condo with a salmon marble counter top in the bathroom. What color paint would make this counter top look less pink?

By Adalyn from Fountain Valley, CA

Brown or green (not pastels!) should help tone it down. Another great place to get some ideas is the paint counter at your hardware store; grab samples! Good luck, salmon pink is a challenge!

Choose a super lightened version of the salmon/pink color, but match the color carefully. You will be amazed how it takes away from the intensity you don't care for. You don't want any color that contrasts with the salmon, that will only make it stronger. Then you can add your accent colors. Or you could find a wallpaper with light background but small bits of the salmon in the design, that would also draw the attention away.

I would suggest going to a paint store with wallpaper books and check out a few books. That way you will have lots and lots of samples to compare with the countertop. Look through the books at the store and get books that have the salmon color in them so they will also have co-ordinating colors and papers. The clerks should be able to point you in the right direction and give you some advice also. Be careful with using a brown with too much red or it will only tend to pull your salmon out more.

Being this is a rental are you allowed to paint. I kind of look at it like this in rentals a person can't be too fussy about colors. I have lived in rentals since 1983, and have given up trying to work with colors, they have all been neutrals, but there are times I would like some color on the walls. I could paint, but then when I move I would have to repaint back to the neutral, so I live with it.

How about adding decorative elements on the countertops so you block most of it?

I agree with EGGZ, a lighter version of that color will take the harsh effect of the salmon color away. Also she could find some colorful prints to hang on the walls with other colors to distract from the salmon. Once she does this she may even like the salmon counter top:)

My current bathroom has a light purple tub and light purple and white tiles half way up the walls. I want to paint and add some accessories, but don't know what colors to use.

By Pam

Answer Was this helpful? 1

What color do I paint a canary yellow tiled bathroom? Help.

Susan from Connecticut

I have a similar issue, a yellow tub and tile accents. I think if you pair it with gray pt and very modern accents and chrome fixtures it will have a mid century modern look. There is also special tile paint at home improvement stores.

Hi Susan,

First of all it would be good to decide what 'character' you want the room to have: quaint and welcoming? Or perhaps modern and sleek?

Pick a small object or accessory that you like and than can stand the moisture in a bathroom and build the room around it. Personally I use a lot of small objects from thrift stores or given by friends to characterize my rooms.

When it comes to paint, general advice is to choose a shade of a contrasting or matching colour. Assuming the sanitary ware is white, I would say.

1. Contrasting would be lilac or purple, only advisable if it's a period property and the room gets lots and lots of late.

2. A matching shade is another yellow, beige, or perhaps a Magnolia with high yellow content.

There is nothing wrong with white, obviously, but even matt (as opposed to gloss) white paint would be very unforgiving on any wall imperfection and be somehow too stark.

Personally I would go for a very very pale blue, possibly even white with just a hint of blue (perhaps from a tester pot). It would look fresh and welcoming.

Don't forget that accessories that match the room's character (as mentioned above) the wall colour will help 'tie in' the scheme. Things like towels, bath mats, storage cabinets, perhaps dried flowers.

And last but not least, make sure you use paint for 'kitchen and bathrooms', the special kind that can sustain moisture and scrub-able and hard wearing. Happy painting!

I would use a royal blue with white baseboards and crown molding. Some gold in your fixtures will set it off.

Green...think sunflowers.

A medium blue along with the yellow will give you a french country look......and you can go from there. There are a lot of fabrics you could get to complement the two colors. Also, I have seen numerous prints with said colors. You could add solid color accessories, just be sure to include both colors. Have fun.

We just remodeled our bathroom due to some water damage problems. Here are the finished pictures. We only need to paint the walls now. I want something bright and fresh. I was thinking coral or a light shade of blue, but really am open to any ideas. Yellow? What do you think?

I included a close up of the tile we used in the shower. We have black white and gray for colors going on now.

My small bathroom has green/yellow floor tiles and counter top. It is presently painted a green from the floor tiles. I am tired of this and thought maybe a navy would be nice. The ceiling is white stucco. Any suggestions?

By Patricia from southern Ontario, Canada

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I am having trouble deciding what color to paint my bathroom. I used tiles from Home Depot that are the color of a sandy beach. I really do not want to go with green, as serene as it is; my bedroom is green. I do not want a green over kill. Help?

By Chris C.

I need advice on how to paint a bathroom with burgundy ceramic tile halfway up the wall. The other half of the wall and closet are white. The tub and sink are gray and the toilet is also white. What colors can I use that will complement these colors?

By Glenda from Lake Charles, LA

Explore shades of blue.

With so many colors in the room, which no doubt is on the small-ish side, I'd go with an off-white with a hint of grey. To add another color could overwhelm the space.

I'd say go with a light gray or cream or beige

What color should I paint my small window-less hall bathroom? It's my little girl's bathroom and decorated with brown, pink, and white polka dot shower curtain, rug, trash bin, and dishes.

By Michelle from Winder, GA

I would go with a pale pink. It would go with the pink dots and also be girly.

How about robins egg blue! It looks nice with both pink and brown.

I would paint the walls white and put pink and brown polka dots on the walls. Or paint the walls Pink and put brown and white polka dots on the walls-that would be cute too! You can buy the dots to put on your wall at Walmart, Target, Home Depot, or pretty much any home decor store. Good luck!

Since its used by a little girl, I would use the same color of pink that you already have on the shower curtain for the walls and other accessories. too many polka dots would be overwhelming, in my opinion.

I am redoing my bathroom. The shower tiles are charcoal and the floor tiles are a cream colour. The tub, sink, and toilet are white. The fixtures are brushed nickel, the trim is an off white, a tinge yellowish. What colour do you suggest for the walls and towels?

By Tracey

Our ladies bathroom at work has pale pink ceramic tiles on the walls about 4 feet high with light and dark pink tiles on the floor. We have gray stalls and greenish blue cabinets. Since I cannot change any of those items, is there a color other than white I could paint the walls to soften up the room?
Thanks.

By Kim C.

I have a small full bathroom with the original 1951 yellow ceramic tile that goes half way up the wall. There is black ceramic tile borders around the top and bottom edge of the wall tiles. The floor tiles are the same yellow ceramic tiles as the wall tiles in a criss cross pattern.

I am looking for a paint color that would go well with the yellow and black tiles for the upper half of the walls (other than white, unless that is all that will work). I think I would prefer to leave my ceiling white. Any suggestions? Thanks.

By Carl M

I have pink countertops, sink, and jacuzzi with pink tile on the floors and light pink looking vanity. I think the name for the color is pickled. What color should I paint my bathroom walls?

By Brenda C.

I have a small bathroom with grass green toilet and tub. The ceramic tile is a 70's rectangular two toned-green/pinky beige with some tiles of lavender pink flowers. The woodwork is very orange in tone. The sink is white with a green marble top which I plan to replace with a small chrome sink and white arborite top. The vanity will go white as will the wood work. What color should go on the walls? Now it is painted green and it is just too much green.

By Myrna S. from Saskatchewan, Canada

What color should I paint the bathroom wall to match the hunter green tiles?

By Helen from Gaithersburg, MD

Answers

Try a dark beige/tan. This should give it a rich spa look, whereas white would be too contrasting and not attactive. Alternatively, you could try a buttery yellow. I think the dark green tiles do present a challenge. Go to your local paint store or big box hardware and you'll be able to buy small samples for $3-$4. You can put a number of colors alongside the tile to see which one you like best.

Aqua.

I'd use a warm almond color. You don't mention the color of the floor and that should influence your choice as well. I think white would be too stark. If it was me, I'd do warm almond walls with your hunter green tiles and chocolate brown accents.

We just installed new tile around our bathtub and the color is grey with hints of pink and brown. Our tile on the floor is brown and light tan. What color should we paint the walls in the bathroom?

By Aubre

Paint the walls the same color as the gray tile or use the shade of pink in the tile. To add more brown may be a bit much with the flooring being brown and tan and the tile having brown in it too.

I would go with a shade of pink from the tile or a shade or two darker would be awesome. Even a darker gray than in the tiles would be nice. Definitely would not go with any shade of brown since there is so much in the room now.

Taupe.

I have a mustard yellow bath surround that must stay. I would like some suggestions on paint and floor tile colors.

We just bought our first home and everything is a bit dated. My first project is the bathroom. I do really well with a blank slate, but I'm stuck. I'm removing the wall paper (it's everywhere, even on the cabinets). Anyway, the tub and sink are taupe, the toilet is white, there are glass sliding doors on the tub, color block vinyl flooring in brown, beige, black, white, and a dark tan, the tiles are a yellow beige and the countertop is a flecked brown.

I don't have a clue what to paint the walls. (Just wait until I ask for help on the kitchen!) I was actually thinking of a terra cotta on the walls, but there's no window and the room is so sad right now. What do you think?

I just moved into a house and one of the bathrooms has a beige tub that we can't replace right now. Any ideas on a wall color to offset it?

Thanks.

The master bedroom accessories are all earth tones. I'd like to carry the color scheme into the master bath. Unfortunately the vanity, floor, sink, tub, etc. are all light gray. Right now I have dark sage green walls. We're selling in about 6 months and I need to make it a little more neutral. I could really use some advice on wall color in the bathroom. I'll be repainting the bedrooms walls a neutral tan or beige.

I have a bathroom with white tiles, sky blue accent tiles, white sink, white tub and toilet, bright blue (almost turquoise) counter, and light blue and cornflower small tile floor,. It is a 1950s bathroom. I want to get rid of the wallpaper and update it. I have brown rugs now. What color would you paint it and use for curtain and shower curtain?

I ordered a tan shower curtain with a black dandelion on it. I'm not sure what color to paint my bathroom now. I was thinking grey, but I don't want it to look drab and gloomy.

My mom and I are moving into a new house and the bathroom was renovated before we had a say in anything. They put in a bright 80s reject purple counter top big enough for a double sink. They haven't painted the walls yet so I was wondering what colors would look good and not clash with the tacky counter?

What colors do I use in a bathroom that has a light beige counter, off white toilet, and light beige tiles? The cabinets are a medium color wood. I was thinking of doing either beige walls with light blue accessories or light blue walls with gray accessories.

By Jen T. from Toms River, NJ

How should I use brown, green, and possibly beige colors in my bathroom? What color for walls, trim, and cabinets? My bathroom is not large, but not tiny. I have a beige sink with a marble white and beige counter top, brushed nickle fixtures, white cabinets, beige shower.

Load More