Bathroom Paint Color Advice

Choosing the perfect color paint for your bathroom can be very confusing. You have to consider the existing colors of such things as the tile, fixtures, flooring, cabinets, etc. This is a guide about bathroom paint color advice.

My husband does not like the beige walls in his bathroom. We wish to retain the dark brown shower curtain and bath set. The sink and tub are kind of a creamy off white. The toilet is white. The floor tile is a mottled beige. What wall color would you suggest?

By Belinda

Answers

If it would not make the room too dark, what about a brown a few shades lighter than the shower set? A golden yellow or medium green could also work. Turquoise and brown is another possibility. Hope this helps.

A very light coral, light minty green-pale yellow. Any pastel color but a very light one would look nice. Good luck

I cannot do a major renovation in my bathroom, but I need a cheap fix for now. I would like suggestions to paint my vanity to match the existing tiles on the wall. Suggest color for vanity, counter top, and a wall to wall bathroom carpet.

The toilet and tub is white. I have sliding doors on the tub, mirror and glass with chrome trimming.

My daughter is renting a condo with a salmon marble counter top in the bathroom. What color paint would make this counter top look less pink?

By Adalyn from Fountain Valley, CA

Answers

Brown or green (not pastels!) should help tone it down. Another great place to get some ideas is the paint counter at your hardware store; grab samples!

Good luck, salmon pink is a challenge!

Choose a super lightened version of the salmon/pink color, but match the color carefully. You will be amazed how it takes away from the intensity you don't care for. You don't want any color that contrasts with the salmon, that will only make it stronger. Then you can add your accent colors. Or you could find a wallpaper with light background but small bits of the salmon in the design, that would also draw the attention away.

I would suggest going to a paint store with wallpaper books and check out a few books. That way you will have lots and lots of samples to compare with the countertop. Look through the books at the store and get books that have the salmon color in them so they will also have co-ordinating colors and papers.

The clerks should be able to point you in the right direction and give you some advice also. Be careful with using a brown with too much red or it will only tend to pull your salmon out more.

Being this is a rental are you allowed to paint. I kind of look at it like this in rentals a person can't be too fussy about colors. I have lived in rentals since 1983, and have given up trying to work with colors, they have all been neutrals, but there are times I would like some color on the walls. I could paint, but then when I move I would have to repaint back to the neutral, so I live with it.

How about adding decorative elements on the countertops so you block most of it?

I agree with EGGZ, a lighter version of that color will take the harsh effect of the salmon color away. Also she could find some colorful prints to hang on the walls with other colors to distract from the salmon. Once she does this she may even like the salmon counter top:)

My current bathroom has a light purple tub and light purple and white tiles half way up the walls. I want to paint and add some accessories, but don't know what colors to use.

By Pam

What color do I paint a canary yellow tiled bathroom? Help.

Susan from Connecticut

Answers

By nurse h (Guest Post)

I have a similar issue, a yellow tub and tile accents. I think if you pair it with gray pt and very modern accents and chrome fixtures it will have a mid century modern look. There is also special tile paint at home improvement stores.

By Stef (Guest Post)

Hi Susan,
First of all it would be good to decide what 'character' you want the room to have: quaint and welcoming? Or perhaps modern and sleek?
Pick a small object or accessory that you like and than can stand the moisture in a bathroom and build the room around it. Personally I use a lot of small objects from thrift stores or given by friends to characterize my rooms.

When it comes to paint, general advice is to choose a shade of a contrasting or matching colour. Assuming the sanitary ware is white, I would say.
1. Contrasting would be lilac or purple, only advisable if it's a period property and the room gets lots and lots of late.
2. A matching shade is another yellow, beige, or perhaps a Magnolia with high yellow content.

There is nothing wrong with white, obviously, but even matt (as opposed to gloss) white paint would be very unforgiving on any wall imperfection and be somehow too stark.

Personally I would go for a very very pale blue, possibly even white with just a hint of blue (perhaps from a tester pot). It would look fresh and welcoming.

Don't forget that accessories that match the room's character (as mentioned above) the wall colour will help 'tie in' the scheme. Things like towels, bath mats, storage cabinets, perhaps dried flowers.

And last but not least, make sure you use paint for 'kitchen and bathrooms', the special kind that can sustain moisture and scrub-able and hard wearing. Happy painting!

By Beviejo (Guest Post)

I would use a royal blue with white baseboards and crown molding. Some gold in your fixtures will set it off.

Green...think sunflowers.

A medium blue along with the yellow will give you a french country look......and you can go from there. There are a lot of fabrics you could get to complement the two colors. Also, I have seen numerous prints with said colors. You could add solid color accessories, just be sure to include both colors. Have fun.

We just remodeled our bathroom due to some water damage problems. Here are the finished pictures. We only need to paint the walls now. I want something bright and fresh. I was thinking coral or a light shade of blue, but really am open to any ideas. Yellow? What do you think?

I included a close up of the tile we used in the shower. We have black white and gray for colors going on now.

I have a small full bathroom with the original 1951 yellow ceramic tile that goes half way up the wall. There is black ceramic tile borders around the top and bottom edge of the wall tiles. The floor tiles are the same yellow ceramic tiles as the wall tiles in a criss cross pattern.

I am looking for a paint color that would go well with the yellow and black tiles for the upper half of the walls (other than white, unless that is all that will work). I think I would prefer to leave my ceiling white. Any suggestions? Thanks.

By Carl M

I have a small bathroom with grass green toilet and tub. The ceramic tile is a 70's rectangular two toned-green/pinky beige with some tiles of lavender pink flowers. The woodwork is very orange in tone. The sink is white with a green marble top which I plan to replace with a small chrome sink and white arborite top. The vanity will go white as will the wood work. What color should go on the walls? Now it is painted green and it is just too much green.

By Myrna S. from Saskatchewan, Canada

My small bathroom has green/yellow floor tiles and counter top. It is presently painted a green from the floor tiles. I am tired of this and thought maybe a navy would be nice. The ceiling is white stucco. Any suggestions?

By Patricia from southern Ontario, Canada

Answers

I would paint the walls white because the tiles are already dark. If you paint it blue the bathroom would feel smaller and cramped. I would also change the tiles to white as well because the vanity is dark.

What color should I paint the bathroom wall to match the hunter green tiles?

By Helen from Gaithersburg, MD

Answers

Try a dark beige/tan. This should give it a rich spa look, whereas white would be too contrasting and not attactive. Alternatively, you could try a buttery yellow. I think the dark green tiles do present a challenge. Go to your local paint store or big box hardware and you'll be able to buy small samples for $3-$4. You can put a number of colors alongside the tile to see which one you like best.

Aqua.

I'd use a warm almond color. You don't mention the color of the floor and that should influence your choice as well. I think white would be too stark. If it was me, I'd do warm almond walls with your hunter green tiles and chocolate brown accents.

We just installed new tile around our bathtub and the color is grey with hints of pink and brown. Our tile on the floor is brown and light tan. What color should we paint the walls in the bathroom?

By Aubre

Answers

Paint the walls the same color as the gray tile or use the shade of pink in the tile. To add more brown may be a bit much with the flooring being brown and tan and the tile having brown in it too.

I would go with a shade of pink from the tile or a shade or two darker would be awesome. Even a darker gray than in the tiles would be nice. Definitely would not go with any shade of brown since there is so much in the room now.

Taupe.

Load More