Camera Tips and Tricks

Whether you are using a 35mm film camera, a point and shoot digital camera or a DSLR, some photographic tricks will help you take better pictures. This is a guide about tips and tricks for using your camera.

May 14, 2009 Flag

This is a tip for those pictures where you need a flash but then you take the picture and it totally whites your picture, but if you take the picture without the flash it's too dark. Try putting your finger in the middle of your flash. It still lets the flash do it's job but at the same time, limits the light but not too much! Try it. It works!

Source: Personal experience, I take lots of pictures.

By Karen from Arnold, MO

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 10 Comments

May 23, 2012 Flag

Use a soap container to carry your camera in. I bought one at the Dollar store for mine, it fits perfectly. It's easy to carry it around in your purse and there is less chance of breaking it.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

January 8, 2007 Flag

If you have a camera, you can save lots of money by taking your own portraits. Here's one of my son when he turned 6 months. We didn't have the money to get professional photos taken, so I did my own session! This particular photo looked better black and white (a quick fix with Photoshop).

For his next photo shoot, I'm going to play around with different backdrops or just go outside! The trick is to take a LOT of photos to get that one perfect shot. Try different angles (this one is from above) and work with the child's personality to get a smile or look to capture. Good luck!

By Carrie from Yakima, WA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 12 Comments

October 28, 2010 Flag

Because I just learned a valuable lesson, I'm sharing this tip. When you are on vacation, taking pictures of family/friends or just scenery you want to save, remove the memory card from your camera when going through the airport security check points and put it in your purse. That way if your camera goes missing, you'll still have those family reunion pictures. Coming home from two reunions, my camera went missing. Needless to say that's when I learned too late to remove that picture card.

One other thing, Homeland Security has the last say as to what you can bring on an airplane. It doesn't matter what the airline says. It also depends on which airport you start at or go through on your travels. Coming back was totally different than going. You can not take even water (to take medication ) at some airports. It was allowed in others. Maybe you can find a list of rules online from Homeland security. I couldn't. Hope this helps others.

By Great Granny Vi

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 5 Comments

October 6, 2005 Flag

Why spend alot of $ at the photo studio when you can take pictures like this with your own camera! This is my 13 month old daughter Maggie Mildred. She loved sitting amongst all the wonderful flowers in this park. She really is the happiest baby I know!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 11, 2010 Flag

Remember those photos many years ago where the subject was so far away you could barely tell who it was? Get your shot ready in your camera screen, then take a couple steps closer to your subject, making sure you still have the subject totally within the screen.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 19, 2007 Flag

Don't let photo ops go by unnoticed. One of my son's friends came by to show us his new car. He had just got back from Iraq the day before. While standing there looking at his car I noticed this cross hanging from the rearview mirror.

Unexpected photo op, clouds reflected on windshield behind cross.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 10, 2010 Flag

Diffuse the flash on your camera with a coffee filter to soften the brightness. You can also try putting coffee filters over lights or lamps to lessen the harshness when taking indoor photos.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 20, 2008 Flag

Camera memory cards can be misplaced easily or stolen. To insure return of a memory card, a person can make a computer business card with pertinent information regarding their name, address, phone number, email address, etc.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 22, 2012 Flag

An excellent published professional photographer once told me that it's often best to do outdoor photography on cloudy days. Colors of flowers and leaves look much more vibrant on overcast days and there are fewer shadows to deal with.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 18, 2005 Flag

Photography - It isn't about the background, but more so about the subject, so fill your contents with the subject of the photo. If not, the subject might get lost in the background.

A boy sitting posted outside.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 8, 2008 Flag

When going out to take photos, don't take the camera case with you. This is like putting up a "Steal me" sign. I use one of the soft padded containers people use as lunch boxes.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 28, 2011 Flag

Protect your camera from the rain, sand, and elements (at the beach, etc.) by putting it in a plastic bag such as a Ziploc bag.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 4, 2005 Flag

When taking pictures, watch the foreground. If you can place trees, branches or some other object in the front of the picture, it "frames" the photo. Also taking pictures before/after a storm gives you cloud formations, lightning effects, and taking pictures at the level of a kid (get on the floor!) is better than from up high.

Boy sitting on rock on the shore.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 16, 2007 Flag

Always keep your camera with you on walking or bicycling trips. The point and click automatic digital cameras over five megapixels, create near professional quality photographs.

Two horses in a pasture.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 1, 2005 Flag

Tips for using digital cameras. Post your ideas.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 18, 2005 Flag

Usually I am ranting against the use of flash with digital pictures, and that flash should only be used for pictures of mother-in-law and police mugshots, with very few exceptions.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 7, 2006 Flag

Flash Over Exposed One Third. This photo was shot on program with the flash over-exposed by one third. This highlights the flowers.

Closeup of roses.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 3, 2008 Flag

When picture taking outside, I noticed the pics looked really dull. So I always get the kids to dress up in bright colored clothes or use bright back grounds. I also like using the sky as a background by letting the kids climb a tree, monkey bars or swing set take the picture looking up at them. T

boy on slide

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 17, 2007 Flag

Taking Outdoor Portrait Photos. A great background and lighting makes a big difference in how your portrait photo turns out. I love taking photos outdoors because there are so many scenes to choose from and the lighting changes depending on the time of day.

little girl in cowgirl hat

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 24, 2010 Flag

If you have no pencil with which to write down information, take a photo with your camera phone.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 14, 2005 Flag

My tip is to use a digital camera with a 256 mega-byte card and click away using auto focus, at anything that catches your fancy...then load the pictures into your computer. Now, fix them one by one. Those that are blurry, delete. Those that you decide are not worthy of keeping, delete.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 16, 2005 Flag

Ingredients: One Willing Subject, One Camera, One Special Moment.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 8, 2005 Flag

When trying to capture a 'stop-action' photo, take multiple shots as fast as you can to raise the possibility of getting a good shot. By Aginghippie

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 5, 2008 Flag

I took this picture as we were driving down the street in Tinley Park, IL. My tip when taking pictures in a moving vehicle; steady your arms against your body to eliminate movement. Movement causes blurry pictures.

Peach colored sky.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 7, 2008 Flag

When you take a photo, don't just make sure the person is smiling and looks good. Make sure you have a nice background. A simple background works best, be it a plain white wall or a dark green couch, or even your full length curtains.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 2, 2007 Flag

Taking professional style photographs at home with your digital camera... and some old sheets.

Taking Photos At Home

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 23, 2006 Flag

I enjoy trying new recipes to preserve the harvest of different vegetables and fruits. You never know when you will have an over abundance of an item. But often after canning, I forget the name of the recipe used or where to find it again.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 3, 2005 Flag

When taking pictures keep your chin at a 60 to 90 degree angle to your neck and turn your head slightly to your best side. Keeping your chin above a 90 degree angle is unflattering....

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Patty Hankins & Bill Lawrence0 found this helpful
February 6, 2005 Flag

Recently, we've been taking advantage of the weather to update our photos of some of the local monuments.  The metro Washington, DC area is one of the top places for monument photography, but many places have their memorable monuments.  We thought this month we would suggest a few tips for monument photography.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 3, 2010 Flag

How do you take a black and white picture with a digital camera?

By Carol S from Greensburg, KY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Some cameras offer the option in the menu. If yours does not, then you have to manipulate it to remove the color in your computer. If you do not have software to do so (it often comes with the camera), you can download Picasa for free from Google. It is really a nice program (recommended to me in a photography class), and not hard to use. Just be aware that the first time you run it on your computer, it will catalog all the photos stored on your computer, so it may take a bit of time. (The cataloging is nice, it will catalog them in chronological order, using the electronic time stamp digital cameras have.)

Load More
Photos Taking PicturesNovember 28, 2011
Broken Digital Camera
Uses for a Broken Digital Camera
Couple Buying a Digital Camera
Buying a Digital Camera
Blue digital camera.
Cleaning a Digital Camera
A girl in a striped shirt holding a camera to her eye.
Buying a Camera
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 2:01:53 PM on 10.0.0.57 in 12 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.