Camera Tips and Tricks

Whether you are using a 35mm film camera, a point and shoot digital camera or a DSLR, some photographic tricks will help you take better pictures. This is a guide about tips and tricks for using your camera.

May 14, 2009 Flag

This is a tip for those pictures where you need a flash but then you take the picture and it totally whites your picture, but if you take the picture without the flash it's too dark. Try putting your finger in the middle of your flash. It still lets the flash do it's job but at the same time, limits the light but not too much! Try it. It works!

Source: Personal experience, I take lots of pictures.

By Karen from Arnold, MO

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Put a layer of a handkerchief or a layer if tissue over the flash only; easier than a finger. To shoot through glass with out reflection into the camera you must be at least at an angle of 15 degrees from vertical to the glass.

May 23, 2012 Flag

Use a soap container to carry your camera in. I bought one at the Dollar store for mine, it fits perfectly. It's easy to carry it around in your purse and there is less chance of breaking it.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi, Just be sure to glue lining into the soap box (felt or something) and it will not let your camera scratch as you bounce your purse around. Good idea!

January 8, 2007 Flag

If you have a camera, you can save lots of money by taking your own portraits. Here's one of my son when he turned 6 months. We didn't have the money to get professional photos taken, so I did my own session! This particular photo looked better black and white (a quick fix with Photoshop).

For his next photo shoot, I'm going to play around with different backdrops or just go outside! The trick is to take a LOT of photos to get that one perfect shot. Try different angles (this one is from above) and work with the child's personality to get a smile or look to capture. Good luck!

By Carrie from Yakima, WA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is strange but try as I might, I cannot see the black & white photo of the baby. The only picture I see by that post is a Google ad for Professional Portraits.

Editor's Note: The photo is now visible.

October 28, 2010 Flag

When you are on vacation, taking pictures of family/friends or just scenery you want to save, remove the memory card from your camera when going through the airport security check points and put it in your purse.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 6, 2005 Flag

Why spend alot of $ at the photo studio when you can take pictures like this with your own camera! This is my 13 month old daughter Maggie Mildred. She loved sitting amongst all the wonderful flowers in this park. She really is the happiest baby I know!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 11, 2010 Flag

Remember those photos many years ago where the subject was so far away you could barely tell who it was? Get your shot ready in your camera screen, then take a couple steps closer to your subject, making sure you still have the subject totally within the screen.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 19, 2007 Flag

Unexpected photo op, clouds reflected on windshield behind cross.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Don't let photo ops go by unnoticed. One of my son's friends came by to show us his new car. He had just got back from Iraq the day before. While standing there looking at his car I noticed this cross hanging from the rearview mirror.

August 10, 2010 Flag

Diffuse the flash on your camera with a coffee filter to soften the brightness. You can also try putting coffee filters over lights or lamps to lessen the harshness when taking indoor photos.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 20, 2008 Flag

Camera memory cards can be misplaced easily or stolen. To insure return of a memory card, a person can make a computer business card with pertinent information regarding their name, address, phone number, email address, etc.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 22, 2012 Flag

An excellent published professional photographer once told me that it's often best to do outdoor photography on cloudy days. Colors of flowers and leaves look much more vibrant on overcast days and there are fewer shadows to deal with.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 18, 2005 Flag

A boy sitting posted outside.

Photography - It isn't about the background, but more so about the subject, so fill your contents with the subject of the photo. If not, the subject might get lost in the background.

April 8, 2008 Flag

When going out to take photos, don't take the camera case with you. This is like putting up a "Steal me" sign. I use one of the soft padded containers people use as lunch boxes.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 28, 2011 Flag

Protect your camera from the rain, sand, and elements (at the beach, etc.) by putting it in a plastic bag such as a Ziploc bag.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 4, 2005 Flag

Boy sitting on rock on the shore.

When taking pictures, watch the foreground. If you can place trees, branches or some other object in the front of the picture, it "frames" the photo. Also taking pictures before/after a storm gives you cloud formations, lightning effects, and taking pictures at the level of a kid (get on the floor!) is better than from up high.

February 16, 2007 Flag

Two horses in a pasture.

Always keep your camera with you on walking or bicycling trips. The point and click automatic digital cameras over five megapixels, create near professional quality photographs.

July 1, 2005 Flag

Tips for using digital cameras. Post your ideas.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 18, 2005 Flag

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Usually I am ranting against the use of flash with digital pictures, and that flash should only be used for pictures of mother-in-law and police mugshots, with very few exceptions.

September 7, 2006 Flag

Closeup of roses.

Flash Over Exposed One Third. This photo was shot on program with the flash over-exposed by one third. This highlights the flowers.

October 3, 2008 Flag

boy on slide

When picture taking outside, I noticed the pics looked really dull. So I always get the kids to dress up in bright colored clothes or use bright back grounds. I also like using the sky as a background by letting the kids climb a tree, monkey bars or swing set take the picture looking up at them. T

January 17, 2007 Flag

little girl in cowgirl hat

Taking Outdoor Portrait Photos. A great background and lighting makes a big difference in how your portrait photo turns out. I love taking photos outdoors because there are so many scenes to choose from and the lighting changes depending on the time of day.

February 24, 2010 Flag

If you have no pencil with which to write down information, take a photo with your camera phone.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 14, 2005 Flag

My tip is to use a digital camera with a 256 mega-byte card and click away using auto focus, at anything that catches your fancy...then load the pictures into your computer. Now, fix them one by one. Those that are blurry, delete. Those that you decide are not worthy of keeping, delete.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 16, 2005 Flag

Ingredients: One Willing Subject, One Camera, One Special Moment.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 8, 2005 Flag

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When trying to capture a 'stop-action' photo, take multiple shots as fast as you can to raise the possibility of getting a good shot. By Aginghippie

August 5, 2008 Flag

Peach colored sky.

I took this picture as we were driving down the street in Tinley Park, IL. My tip when taking pictures in a moving vehicle; steady your arms against your body to eliminate movement. Movement causes blurry pictures.

April 7, 2008 Flag

When you take a photo, don't just make sure the person is smiling and looks good. Make sure you have a nice background. A simple background works best, be it a plain white wall or a dark green couch, or even your full length curtains.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 2, 2007 Flag

Taking Photos At Home

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Taking professional style photographs at home with your digital camera... and some old sheets.

Taking Photos At Home

October 23, 2006 Flag

I enjoy trying new recipes to preserve the harvest of different vegetables and fruits. You never know when you will have an over abundance of an item. But often after canning, I forget the name of the recipe used or where to find it again.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 3, 2005 Flag

When taking pictures keep your chin at a 60 to 90 degree angle to your neck and turn your head slightly to your best side. Keeping your chin above a 90 degree angle is unflattering....

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Photos Taking PicturesNovember 28, 2011
Broken Digital Camera
Uses for a Broken Digital Camera
Couple Buying a Digital Camera
Buying a Digital Camera
Blue digital camera.
Cleaning a Digital Camera
A girl in a striped shirt holding a camera to her eye.
Buying a Camera
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 12, 2017 at 2:22:49 AM on 10.0.1.114 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.