Caring for a Puppy With Parvo

Category Health
It is important to consult your veterinarian about your puppy's health concern. This guide is about caring for a puppy with parvo.

Ok, before the editors can place their "disclaimer" along with this post, I am going to place it here first. We full well understand NOT everyone is capable or has the knowledge we have behind us. So with this said, home treatment can be as expensive as vet treatment. Knowledge of animals is what helped us. Also, there are 2 forms of Parvo. We were lucky enough to be dealing with the intestinal type. If your dog develops the cardiac type, seek immediate vet help.

Editor's Note (the real one): Please discuss with a professional health care provider before starting this or any home treatment.

We have a pair of 7 month old Bull Dogs. Both had 1 set of shots. We received them as strays, so true age and health issues are truly unknown. Our male began showing signs and symptoms on Sept. 8th. On Sept. 11 we were told he had Parvo. On Sept 12, he received 1 anti-biotic shot and was sent home from a vet friend's home with orders to take him to the local vet hospital. Instead, we did our research and the following is what we did. This worked for us, I will not guarantee it will work in all cases.

Our first stop on our way home was the grocery store. We picked up Pedialyte, liquid infant anti-nausea medication, and Peptobismal. Every 30 minutes we gave him 10 cc of the Pedialyte. We also gave him 10 cc of Pedialyte with 5 cc of anti-nausea medicine.

The next morning, we made a run to town (we live in a vast farming community). First stop was more Pedialyte ($3.00 per bottle), rubber gloves ($5.00 per box), 1000mg MSM ($5.00 per bottle). The next stop was the health food store for 90 ppm colloidal silver ($20.00) - this item is a MUST, DO NOT skip it; Peppermint oil ($10.00), goldenseal root ($12.00), echinacea ($10.50), and Source of Life Gold Liquid vitamins ($16.00). All of these items are in liquid form. From there we went to the feed store and picked up antibiotic ($40.00) and needles. **Again DO NOT attempt this if you have never given an animal a shot before. My family are ranchers and so I was raised around this stuff.

Now, as our dog was throwing up we did an enema treatment. This is a must, and will get the medications into your dog without them throwing them right back out. Recipe to follow at the end. We did the enema 3 times the first day, 2 times the next day, and 1 the final day, only because he started eating and drinking on his own.

Our schedule basically consisted of:

• First Day: Pedialyte and silver in between enemas. Antibiotic shot in the morning (only one per day).

• Second Day: Rotate Pedialyte and Pedialyte with silver between enemas. Antibiotic shot.

• Third Day: He was drinking on his own, so there was no need for Pedialyte.

Now our female was starting to show signs, so we started her on the treatment early and her signs are not nearly as severe as our male. It was more or less similar to depression. Honestly, if you are getting a new puppy, most of these items can be purchased and kept on hand just in case.

The enema recipe is as follows:

• 2 (1000mg) MSM capsules, empty capsules to dissolve powder
  • 6 drops goldenseal
  • 6 drops echinacea
  • 4 drops peppermint oil
  • 1 - 2 cc colloidal silver (this is a must, do not skip)
  • 4 cc anti-nausea liquid
  • 4 cc Peptobismal
  • 5 cc Liquid Gold
  • 60 cc Pedialyte

Directions:

Mix all of this in a purchased enema bottle. We used disposable ones by emptying out the included solution, rinsing it out, and then using the bottle.

Make sure mixture is mixed well and MSM is dissolved, coat tip with some form of non-toxic lubricant and make sure back bone is straight. We discovered that it was best to lay our dog down, straighten back, and insert, talking the whole time. We then rubbed his belly afterwards and he thought he was getting lovies.

Anyways, this is what worked for us. We do NOT guarantee it. The medications in the enema are the same as what is in Parvaid. That is why we purchased them. We did not/could not afford to wait. As for food, we bought turkey with rice baby food and mixed it with baby rice cereal. When he took his first bite we knew we had conquered this deadly illness.

One more thing, if your dogs show sign of Parvo, do not give them their next round of vaccines. This will make things worse. This includes any and all dogs exposed. This comes straight from our vet friend.

By Ealasaid from Four Corners, NM

Anonymous

My 9 month old lab was diagnosed with parvo yesterday, he started showing signs of being sick Wednesday morning. They gave him a shot of antibiotic and sent us home with IV to inject under his skin between his shoulder blades. He is still not eating or drinking tryin to give him Gatorade with a child's meds syringe not going to good. He's foaming a bit is this a bad sign? Do we still have a good chance of recovery and should we try to force liquids or food in him. If he's not better by monday should we put him down praying not we love him so much and can't imagine him not being with us.

A sick dog sleeping, with a close up of his mouth and nose.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

When caring for a pet with parvo, many owners would like to know the average recovery time for an infected pup. This is a guide about recovery time for dog with parvo.

I found online a herbal medication for parvo, It's called Parvaid.

By Harleys mom from Kent, WA

Editor's Note: If you have experience with this product, please post your feedback here.

My 6 week old Maltipoo lost his appetite 2 days after we got him. He started getting diarrhea and vomiting so he's pretty weak. He's being treated by the vet who has had him 2 days now as he's on antibiotics and IV fluids and gravol. They started him on Pedia Sure which is staying down and he's drinking water, but refuses to eat. What can I try that may peak his appetite's interest?

Here are some great ideas from The Spruce:

Tempt your pets appetite with pungent-smelling foods that make the food more palatable. Liverwurst or peanut butter are often favorites.

Meat-based baby food is also very palatable for most puppies and easier to eat if the mouth is sore. Try adding warm water or no-salt chicken broth to dry foods to make a slurry in the blender. Warm up the food -- that can unlock the aroma and pique your pups appetite. Zap the food in the microwave for ten seconds or so.

My dog was just diagnosed with parvo. Can he stay outside due to his uncontrollable bowels?

Is your dog under the care of a veterinarian? Hopefully you can call their office and ask any questions you are concerned about.

I would suggest trying to keep your dog in as small a confined area as possible as everywhere your doggie goes will have to be cleaned to eliminate the virus.

Here is a link to a site that has a lot of information about Parvo and what needs to be done - during and after your doggie gets well. This is a long article but please try to read it to the end.

http://www.2ndc  e.info/parvo.htm

I have two 4 month puppies. They where exposed to the parvo virus. One got sick first. He only had his first shot. He is now recovering and is back to normal. My second puppy started showing signs. She has had 3 parvo vaccinations. She is now recovering. Should I keep them separated or can they both be in the same room? Can they re-contaminate each other?

some vets say they can, and will, get parvo again, just not as severely. with viruses mutating all the time why take a chance? keep them separated a few more weeks.

My puppy has not been eating in 2 days. After he drinks water he automatically throws up white foam. He has watery diarrhea. He itches a lot. And he sleeps a lot. I think he has parvo, but I don't have any money to go to the vet. I just don't know what to do?

This animal needs help urgently - Not only by a vet but by someone that will love & care for it. You are incapable of giving this animal a life of care - animals are not toys - they can be expensive to look after - I plead that you take this animal to the vet & once it is well, then it needs to be rehomed to someone who can afford to give it a lifetime of love & care.

In my lifetime of owning pets I've only had one dog have parvo and that was over 20 years ago. My puppy, I think has parvo. She only threw up once, but right away I knew what it was because of that awful smell. I immediately went out and purchase Pedialyte. Almost instantly, she was recovering. I couldn't believe it. She was drinking the Pedialyte on her own, resting, but no more throwing up. She still has diarrhea, and today being the second day she threw up again. She drinks Pedialyte after throwing up, but is now, again, really tired. This morning she was bouncing around like a normal puppy, but since throwing up once more, she's now just laying there. I'm getting scared again. What should I do? Is it normal for your dog to be up and about one minute and down the next. Also I purchased a six in one shot for my puppy's first set of shots when should I give this to her?

DO NOT vaccinate a sick dog.

My dog was diagnosed with parvo, but he only had vomiting and diarrhea for one day and then it stopped and the diarrhea was not bloody. It's been 3 days since he was diagnosed and he is lethargic. We have given him IVs and he got 2 shots, but I'm wondering how long it will take for him to completely get over it? Is he on his road to recovery?

It can take several weeks to recover completely.

My two puppies are already recovering from the parvovirus and show lots of improvements since their last medication. They are past the first 3 critical days. Can they be together in the same house already?

I don't think they need to be separated but ask the vet to be sure. Make sure you disinfect and burn the poop. Parvo can stay in the ground or on surfaces for years! Bleach will kill it. Be sure to do all areas where they were. They will never get parvo again but any other dog might. Glad they're doing ok. We have a few die and a few live! It's a horrible virus! I work for a rescue in SC

My 4 month old pup has been sick for 4 days. Day 1, she wouldn't eat or drink, had diarrhea and vomiting maybe 3 times total, and didn't want to move much. Day 2, she started drinking water and was more alert, even barked at a person walking by. Day 3, she ate some canned food, still drank water, got a little shaky, was still walking around, but was mopey. Now it is day 4, she is still only vomiting and having diarrhea maybe 3 times a day, still drinking water, won't eat, walking and alert, but still mopey and shaky.
She's not dehydrated from what I can see, gums go back to pink right away.
I've been syringing Pedialyte and antibiotics, as well as Pepto throughout the day.

This is my second pup from the same parents, different litter, going thru this. Her sister from the same litter and in a different home is also sick with the same thing. I just want her to feel better. I am so stressed out.

Dogs should have bland diet until no diarrhea or vomiting for 24 hours.

My dog was diagnosed with the parvovirus. He has been hospitalised for 5 days already, but he is looking so much better. He was even playing and biting me. The vet says he still has to stay because he has a fever.

Is it necessary for that? Or can I look after him at home? The bills are going to be insane.

This is a serious illness. I would do what the vet advised. Try to work out a payment plan

My puppy has parvo. I have been giving her Pedialyte and she is not dehydrated. She is still playing and moving around on her own. She finally ate a little today, but she still has bloody stool, kinda not a lot. She had it today. She also drinks on her own.

If the dog is drinking and active that is good. No solid food for 24 hours without vomiting,

Diarrhea or bloody stool. Keep in touch with the vet.

How can I save my puppy from parvo with a home remedy?

Parvo can kill puppies quickly. Call a vet.

My dog was diagnosed yesterday with parvo. She was really bad so we took her to the vet and they sent us home with the fluids and medicine to get her rehydrated and stop throwing up and the antibiotics. She is doing great today it has been 14 hours of no throwing up, so we attempted water. She is holding down water and is excited to drink it. So we tried food. She will not eat her food or chicken or rice. Idk what to do. It's like she wants to eat, but she won't. Any suggestions?

Your dog can go 8 weeks without food. The most important thing in liquids. Use children's Pedialyte instead of water so your pet with get the most nutrient possible.

Any suggestions in taking care of puppies recovering from parvo? Should they take vitamins? any more vaccines? When can I bathe them?

Thanks in advance.

The vet should have given you medications. I would not give my dog anything without the vet's approval. Dogs are usually very lethargic. I would probably wipe the dog down, rather than give him a bath.

So I couldn't afford the vet and I looked up the ingredients in the Paxxin Parvaid and some other medicine used for parvo and I got the ingredients and made my own version of this.

I used Immunity Boost the super green tea. I bought a box from the store. I went to Nature's Cupboard and bought 2 ml of olive leaf herb and spearmint herb and I put lavender essential oil, 4 drops, and geranium essential oil and garlic and I blended it into a tea. I've been giving him 5 ml of it every ten to 15 minutes and animal Pepto I bought from a tractor supply store.

I gave him the 9 way shot and he's still acting funny, but he's drinking water on his own and he hasn't vomited or had diarrhea anymore. I've also been giving him Gatorade for electrolytes, but I've watered it down and I made a chicken broth that I've been feeding him with a syringe. I put olive leaf, three bouillon chicken flavored cubes, and spearmint, garlic, a dash of garlic salt, and a dash of Himalayan salt and he's been eating it, but out of the syringe. So far he's able to keep it down. I do this ever twenty minutes because he hasn't eaten in three days. He just had water and I felt he was losing too much weight. He still is just laying around, but he can get up and he can drink water on his own.

He's no longer shaking either, but he still looks out of it every now and then. Am I doing the right thing? Do y'all think he's gonna make it? I feel like he's such a strong pup. He's only 14 weeks old. If there's anything else anyone can suggest please do I'm all ears. I just don't want any negative comments cause I'm doing the best I can and all the ingredients I used except chicken broth and Gatorade are listed in the ingredients for Paxxin and the other medicine Vibactra used for parvo. I just couldn't afford any of it so I made my own version of it.

Parvo is very serious and can result in death. I would at least call the ASPCA and get their opinion.

My puppy is on her 6th day of parvo. I've been feeding her baby cereal. Is that what she needs to eat? How long until she can eat hard food? Any tips for recovering pups?

As a holistic veterinarian, congratulations on her surviving parvo, and to help her live a very long and healthy life you may want to check out the 7 keys to health at MyHealthyAnimals.com

To start moving her back to food it is best to use organic chicken, cooked lightly and super soggy rice (1C in 4 C water) as long as she is not vomiting. Start by feeding small amounts, then slowly increase the amount unless there is any nausea. Next, if she is doing fine with that, I would take the time to make bone broth - www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/how-to-make-bone-broth-for-your-dog/

Also, give some organic Aloe Vera, marshmallow root slurry made from the powder, GreenHopeEssences.com "Digestive Woes and Immune support", Vit C 500 mg twice a day.

And think about finding a holistically trained vet to work with, even if you love your current one.

My Caucasian Shepherd puppy has had parvo for 10 days now. It's really skinny and depressed, it is also very weak. It started drinking a little water yesterday, but it throws it all up. How do I get it out of this, how many syringes of baby food and water should I give at once and how frequent should I give it?

Vomiting and diarrhea can dehydrate a dog or cat very quickly. You need to at least call the vet.

My 7 month Cane Corso has parvo. On Thursday 03-30-17 she was acting very strange. We took her to the vet the next day and they told us she has parvo. She had lost about 7 pounds and she weighed 63 pounds at the vet, I'm sure she weighs less because she has not eaten anything since Wednesday 03-29-17. We took her home that day and have been giving her anti-vommiting medicine once daily, her antibiotics 2 times daily, 1/2 teaspoon of Pepto 2 times daily, about 3-4 ounces of Pedialyte 5 times daily, and about 2 ounces of chicken broth 3 times daily. Her stool has improved slightly, it is still watery, but no bloody stool so far. She vomits grass and mucus, she eats grass when I take her out to go potty. She drinks water on her own, not much, but she is drinking some. She still won't eat any wet of dry dog food. How long does parvo last? I'm concerned. This is my first puppy to have parvo and I'm not sure if I'm doing everything right. Please help me!

Parvo can last a few weeks. Your dog should not be eating grass. I would take it out of her mouth immediately. Make sure she drinks and keep in touch with the vet. No solid food until 24 hours passed with no diarrhea/vomiting.

My puppy is 7 months old and and tested positive for parvo 9 days ago. He is eating chicken and staying hydrated and running around and being rotten as can be. My question is how long will he be pooping the parvo smell? Also can I try feeding him anything else other than chicken? I have fed him so much he's burnt out on chicken. Is there anything else I can try?

If he is eating and drinking, and not vomiting or having diarrhea or blood in his stool, he is well on his way to recovery. He also is energetic. It could take a couple of weeks for him to recover completely, and the smell will go away.

I am the proud owner of the most rambunctious ten month old, blue nose Pit Bull, one may ever meet. Hence her name, Kalypso. Sadly however she was diagnosed with the Parvovirus around five days ago.

The day before yesterday I purchased two large bottles of Pedialyte, and have been giving this to her to help replenish the electrolytes lost through vomit and diarrhea. She hasn't had much trouble drinking water/Pedialyte on her own other than when she would vomit.

Also, only yesterday, I purchased a bottle of (knock-off) Pepto Bismol, and have been giving that to her as well. She has had an attack of diarrhea twice since I gave her the Pepto the first time yesterday, and I've noticed it to be a significantly smaller puddle of it.

She is also known to have anxiety issues (mostly because I have these same issues) so I've been giving her some doggie medicine for that as well. It's to calm her, and help her sleep.

And of course there's good ol' TLC. Lots of love, hugs, kisses, and being called a 'good girl'.

I've noticed a slight spike in her energy level over the last couple days. She has almost completely stopped vomiting (Unless she drinks too fast). I understand it takes time for her to heal from this.

My question is, does it sound like she is on the road to recovery? It could be the optimism of a diligent pet owner, but it seems as though she is.

If I continue on this path, how much longer should it take for the diarrhea symptom to be alleviated completely? Obviously, even after the last symptom is gone, I will have her take it easy for at least another week or so. I just need someone to tell me if I'm doing the right thing or not. I can't afford to take her to the vet, but I have been doing everything else that I am possibly capable of to make sure she is comfortable, (I've not really slept since she first got sick) and working towards recovery. I hope someone replies soon. Thank you so much for taking time to read.

Sounds good. The main thing is keeping her hydrated. If you're working hard to help her keep fluids down chances are your dog will recover.

I have a two month old Bulldog puppy and we've been battling parvo for about 4 days. Now he's to the point where he's pooping blood and vomiting blood. I've been keeping him plenty hyrdrated and use Pepto for upset stomach. He hasn't had his 9 & 1 shot yet. Can I give it to him while he has parvo? Please help. I don't wanna loose him. We are on day four and still no eating or drinking.

It is very sad to hear about your baby but hopefully he is doing better.

I do not believe you should give a vaccination of any kind until your puppy is much, much better and the vet agrees that he should have one.

Since Parvo is such a serious disease I would advise you to take him to the vet if at all possible. The services will be very expensive but it may be the only way to save your puppy.

If taking your puppy to the vet is not an option than maybe you can gleam some useful information from one of these sites:

https://www.ear  /pets/parvo.html

https://pethelp  -Puppy-Has-Parvo

If my 2 month old puppy has parvo, could I give him his 1st shots or do I wait til after parvo treatment?

By Shae M. from Stockton, CA

Best Answer

Please, please be aware that parvo in puppies is very, very dangerous. Parvo can kill your puppy within hours and its a painful death. No shots til 6 months of age. Once it contracts parvo its to late for shot. please, please get your dog to a vet. ASAP

Load More