Caring for a Puppy With Parvo

It is important to consult your veterinarian about your puppy's health concern. This guide is about caring for a puppy with parvo.

September 17, 2010 Flag

Ok, before the editors can place their "disclaimer" along with this post, I am going to place it here first. We full well understand NOT everyone is capable or has the knowledge we have behind us. So with this said, home treatment can be as expensive as vet treatment. Knowledge of animals is what helped us. Also, there are 2 forms of Parvo. We were lucky enough to be dealing with the intestinal type. If your dog develops the cardiac type, seek immediate vet help.

Editor's Note (the real one): Please discuss with a professional health care provider before starting this or any home treatment.

We have a pair of 7 month old Bull Dogs. Both had 1 set of shots. We received them as strays, so true age and health issues are truly unknown. Our male began showing signs and symptoms on Sept. 8th. On Sept. 11 we were told he had Parvo. On Sept 12, he received 1 anti-biotic shot and was sent home from a vet friend's home with orders to take him to the local vet hospital. Instead, we did our research and the following is what we did. This worked for us, I will not guarantee it will work in all cases.

Our first stop on our way home was the grocery store. We picked up Pedialyte, liquid infant anti-nausea medication, and Peptobismal. Every 30 minutes we gave him 10 cc of the Pedialyte. We also gave him 10 cc of Pedialyte with 5 cc of anti-nausea medicine.

The next morning, we made a run to town (we live in a vast farming community). First stop was more Pedialyte ($3.00 per bottle), rubber gloves ($5.00 per box), 1000mg MSM ($5.00 per bottle). The next stop was the health food store for 90 ppm colloidal silver ($20.00) - this item is a MUST, DO NOT skip it; Peppermint oil ($10.00), goldenseal root ($12.00), echinacea ($10.50), and Source of Life Gold Liquid vitamins ($16.00). All of these items are in liquid form. From there we went to the feed store and picked up antibiotic ($40.00) and needles. **Again DO NOT attempt this if you have never given an animal a shot before. My family are ranchers and so I was raised around this stuff.

Now, as our dog was throwing up we did an enema treatment. This is a must, and will get the medications into your dog without them throwing them right back out. Recipe to follow at the end. We did the enema 3 times the first day, 2 times the next day, and 1 the final day, only because he started eating and drinking on his own.

Our schedule basically consisted of:

• First Day: Pedialyte and silver in between enemas. Antibiotic shot in the morning (only one per day).

• Second Day: Rotate Pedialyte and Pedialyte with silver between enemas. Antibiotic shot.

• Third Day: He was drinking on his own, so there was no need for Pedialyte.

Now our female was starting to show signs, so we started her on the treatment early and her signs are not nearly as severe as our male. It was more or less similar to depression. Honestly, if you are getting a new puppy, most of these items can be purchased and kept on hand just in case.

The enema recipe is as follows:

• 2 (1000mg) MSM capsules, empty capsules to dissolve powder
  • 6 drops goldenseal
  • 6 drops echinacea
  • 4 drops peppermint oil
  • 1 - 2 cc colloidal silver (this is a must, do not skip)
  • 4 cc anti-nausea liquid
  • 4 cc Peptobismal
  • 5 cc Liquid Gold
  • 60 cc Pedialyte

Directions:

Mix all of this in a purchased enema bottle. We used disposable ones by emptying out the included solution, rinsing it out, and then using the bottle.

Make sure mixture is mixed well and MSM is dissolved, coat tip with some form of non-toxic lubricant and make sure back bone is straight. We discovered that it was best to lay our dog down, straighten back, and insert, talking the whole time. We then rubbed his belly afterwards and he thought he was getting lovies.

Anyways, this is what worked for us. We do NOT guarantee it. The medications in the enema are the same as what is in Parvaid. That is why we purchased them. We did not/could not afford to wait. As for food, we bought turkey with rice baby food and mixed it with baby rice cereal. When he took his first bite we knew we had conquered this deadly illness.

One more thing, if your dogs show sign of Parvo, do not give them their next round of vaccines. This will make things worse. This includes any and all dogs exposed. This comes straight from our vet friend.

By Ealasaid from Four Corners, NM

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 11 Comments

January 11, 2010 Flag

I found online a herbal medication for parvo, It's called Parvaid.

By Harleys mom from Kent, WA

Editor's Note: If you have experience with this product, please post your feedback here.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 21, 2016 Flag

I bought a puppy 5 days ago. She was really quiet. I thought she was just wormy, but at 9 weeks old the lady I bought her from said she had had 2 sets of shots. My puppy has parvo. She is little, but a fighter. After reading up on parvo and after going to the vet very morning for 2 shots, this is what I've learned. Puppies can get parvo if they are given their shots too early and with a short time in between. This puppy had shots at five and nine weeks. If a dog is over bred it also lowers the puppy's ablity to fight the parvo virus. The puppy's mom had puppies that were 10 months and a litter that was nine weeks. We are fighting hard. I have not gotten much sleep as I am giving this little girl fluids every 15 minutes. On a personal note, if you are going to breed dogs please don't over breed. I am really upset to find out that the breeder knew the puppy was sick when I bought it as she had another one that was already sick. I know this because she uses the same vet as I do.

I guess my question is, what are her chances of making it?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

With you as her owner at least she does have a chance. The kind of breeding engaged in by the seller is disgusting. If you paid money for this puppy, and are paying Vet bills, I would consider taking her to small claims court. That is the only way this kind of breeder learns. Best of luck to you and your little girl. Let us know how she does.

February 24, 2014 Flag

If my 2 month old puppy has parvo, could I give him his 1st shots or do I wait til after parvo treatment?

By Shae M. from Stockton, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Please, please be aware that parvo in puppies is very, very dangerous. Parvo can kill your puppy within hours and its a painful death. No shots til 6 months of age. Once it contracts parvo its to late for shot. please, please get your dog to a vet. ASAP

August 7, 2016 Flag

My Pit Bull started having symptoms of parvo yesterday with vomiting, blood in poop (looks like straight blood) and wouldn't eat. The vomiting has stopped, but she is still pooping blood. She's drunk water on her own here and there, but hasn't vomited. Is that common if she has parvo? Any info will help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please take your dog to your vet immediately to clarify the problem and provide medical treatment. May or may not be the deadly Parvo, however, her symptoms are dire and she needs help now!

June 23, 2016 Flag

I wanted to asked one lady about where she bought the Zofran for her 9 month Pit Bull puppy. My puppy is 2 months and I think he may have parvo, because he's throwing up yellow or white foam. I would like to know if you can get it over the counter.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please take your pup to your vet immediately to clarify the medical condition and start appropriate medical treatment. Trying to save money by attempting to diagnose and treat the pup's medical problem yourself will only result in worsening of the problem and much more costly medical treatment and possibly death.

January 9, 2016 Flag

We adopted an 8 wk puppy. She weighs 9.3# and she showed symptoms of parvo. The vet put her on Tamil. We are 3 days in and she eats a little and drinks a little. We help hydrate her with a syringe of H2O and clear Gatorade. She seems sluggish at times and a little active at others. Is she in the clear? She never really had "severe" loose stools, like watery, they were always like pudding, sometimes in a form. She may vomit 1 maybe 2X a day, if that. Now what should I offer her, wet food, or puppy milk? Please help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have had 2 dogs with parvo. One of my dogs was so sick he spent 5 days on a IV at the vets. The other dog just received a series of shots and some medicine. When my dog first started to eat again the vet suggested I only give them rice or pasta. I found that pasta was better for the dogs and they enjoyed it much more than rice. My vet told me to stop offering milk to the dogs after they are finished nursing from their mother. They no longer need the milk. What your dog needs now is water and some bland food.

After the problem with parvo I only feed my dogs pasta and some cooked chicken, fish, or beef. I stay away from ground beef because it can cause crystals in their urine. I basically buy packages of scraps from my local store to cook and feed to my dog. It has been 5 years now since the problem with parvo and both of my dogs are healthy and haven't been sick since this time.

April 22, 2016 Flag

My 2 puppies suffered from parvo 5 days ago, but on the 3rd day they started to eat by themselves. I gave them chicken with rice, and they ate it all. But they don't want to drink water so I've been giving them Pedialyte and Gatorade every hour.

Why don't they want to drink? I heard once they eat by themselves they had survived the virus, but they don't want to drink :( Did they relapse?
Are they going to die? I am so worried:(

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please contact your vet immediately to help your puppies. They will quickly become dehydrated and could relapse or die.

March 30, 2016 Flag

We have had parvo in two puppies that were not fully vaccinated yet. They are now on the mend after being very sick. They are now eating and drinking with no more sickness. Their poo is still soft, but not runny.

They developed the parvo a few days between each other. I have them in separate rooms, but now 5 days after the last one came home from vet they are restless. They are wanting each other and are crying, making it very stressful. When can they go back together? There was a week gap between each one getting sick. Also they are due for their second puppy vaccination next week. Can we still go and get them; will they be fit?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'd wait on that vaccination until they are completely well. They are still contagious to other dogs, so bringing them to the vet is not a good idea unless an emergency happens.

They will probably get better more quickly if you put them together. Stress prolongs illnesses. Since they both have parvo they are both now manufacturing parvo antibodies so they should not be able to infect each other.

December 4, 2010 Flag

Help. I have 4.5 mo old standard Poodle pup with Parvo. I have been to vet twice. I am giving her 1/2 bag of IV fluids under the skin, an antibiotic shot every 12 hrs, and an anti nausea shot every 24 hrs.
On the second visit to the vet we added generic flagyl and Pepcid, half tab every 12 hrs. The first vet visit was Wednesday 12/1/10 and then again on Friday 12/3/10.
She was 27 lbs pre-parvo and has not eaten or had anything to drink for 2 full days. She is not vomiting, but has awful diarrhea. On the second day, for half of the day she was drinking water and eating.
Also, the breeder gave her a parvo vaccination just a few days prior to Wednesday (day 1). Please help me, help her get better. We love her and feel helpless. Thank you! Posting Sat 12/4/2010.

By Kathy from Phoenix, AZ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Activated charcoal helped alot with my parvo puppies. They vomited it up and I gave them a little more which stayed down longer. I used an enema to give charcoal to one of them. I also used enemas to give pepcid and electrolytes because they were vomiting so much. I had been to vet so I also had an i.v. bag and used it to give fluid under the skin. Trying to give them meds and fluids by mouth just adds to their misery and doesn't help at all. I've treated 12 dogs with parvo over the years and trying to give them everything by mouth never worked. Also, when they do start to eat again, pureed beef liver is the best.

December 15, 2012 Flag

I have a 4 month old puppy who is recovering from parvo. How long do I keep her away from other dogs in the house?

By Heather

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We just found our my puppy thats 10 weeks old has it. We got told not to have him around others till about 2 months if the others do not have parvo shots they do not to need to be around them at all untill they have. Parvo will stay in an area for 5-7 years. They told us the best way to clean is pure bleach, or amonia and vinegar. Hope this helps and I pray your puppy gets better, I know it's hit our little man rough.

October 29, 2013 Flag

My Chihuahua was recently diagnosed with parvo. The vet gave him some fluids and antibiotics, also a prescription for me to give him, but he still will not eat or drink is it still too soon or what?

By YF

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Bless it's heart! I have heard of this product called Parvaid. I would order it from Amazon and try it.

September 17, 2016 Flag

My 3 month old puppy has parvo. We have went to the vet and they gave her medicine, but it's not doing much. She's been drinking water, but not eating food. She is still throwing up blood and the vet said she has a 50/50 chance of living. I don't know if I should give her liquids to eat. I'm not sure what to feed her?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 21, 2014 Flag

How long can my puppy go without eating? I have been giving him Pedialyte every 30 minutes and antiobiotics twice daily. It is the 3rd day now and he is showing signs of blood in his stool; is this a fatal sign?

By Christina from Yuba City, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you taken him to the vet? Parvo is almost always fatal if not properly treated and treated quickly. Blood in stools is never good. Please get the pup to a vet fast.

September 26, 2015 Flag

She made it. My 7 week old German Shepherd puppy survived an outbreak of parvo, in my litter of 8. She was the only female and the runt. It's been 7 days since she's been eating, drinking, running, and playing with no signs of Parvo at all. Today she's thrown up twice with grass in it along with her baked chicken breast and a little dog food mixed. I am scared to death she is going to die. I've been a responsible breeder for 7 years and never lost a single puppy. To say the least, my family is devastated.

Here are my questions. She's been healthy in appearance for about 7 days. She's had the two week antibiotic shot from the vet and Paxxin. Is there any related secondary disease commonly associated with parvo that she could be getting in her particular situation, keeping in mind she's had the two week antibiotic shot? Could she suddenly get worse all over again and die? Because she can't do that it will destroy me. And finally is it just part of her healing and she's going to have days?

Please no holding back. I truly need to know so I can handle this. Any information and experience is very much appreciated. Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The baked chicken breast may have been to rich for her at 7 weeks. They eat grass so they'll puke up whatever is disagreeing.

July 21, 2016 Flag

My puppy has parvo and I don't know how many times he can eat a day. I give him chicken and he eats it fast like he hasn't eaten. I feed him once a day. I don't know how much I have to feed him in a day?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 25, 2012 Flag

On May 19th I noticed my pup Karma wasn't looking good. Her hair was dull, she looked so sad and wouldn't eat, but was drinking a little bit. I didn't realize she was sick cuz she was always very mellow. I took her to the vet and confirmed it was parvo, but no way I can afford the hospital stay so we did treatment at home. By 1pm on May 20th she started having what seemed to be stomach spasms and passed away with me and my husband with her.

My other pup is sick now. On May 20th when I lost Karma our pup Sutra was running around like a mad man. The morning of the 21st Sutra no longer wants tho eat. It's now May 25th and she looks so bad. I'm forcing feeding her Pedialyte, chicken broth. baby rice cereal, Pepto, and antibiotics.

She started having loose slimy stool with little strings of blood. Yesterday she had liquid diarrhea that was almost black (she only had this 3x). Karma was passing bright red diarrhea. She's thrown up about 3x also; it's slimy yellow and foamy. I'm wondering how long till the parvo is out of her so she will get better. She's on day 4. I hope that's a good s sign.

By Julie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Needs IV's and vet care. Not possible? Going to try at home? Go to health food store. Get colloidal silver, at least 10 ppm. Enema with cs. Half hour later another enema. This cleans the parvo germs from the intestines and stops the multiplication of them. CS kills bacterial, viral and fungus. Hydrate hydrate hydrate. Pedialite, broth,water, gatorade, chicken soup by mouth.

If you constantly attend to your dog, even with an eyedropper every 2 minutes to get liquids in by mouth the chances for survival are better. Most die of dehydration. You must be in attendance even all night long.

Still advise IVs by your vet. Most vets will take payments. Your home and property are now very dangerous to other dogs, racoons and will be for a year. No new pups.

August 16, 2013 Flag

I had two 3.5 months old German Shepherds. One showed all the symptoms of parvo while the other didn't. The one who didn't make it died yesterday. His brother stayed here with my older dog, a 3 yr old Lab, he's fully vaccinated while neither of the puppies was.

Yesterday after the death of my one pup, the other puppy was checked for parvo and came out negative. I vaccinated him. And today, he started to have the same early symptoms. He vomited only once, but that was enough for me to think he might have gotten parvo. The doctor checked his blood and said it was perfectly normal, but a second parvo test showed him positive this time. I left him in the hospital praying that God will help my poor puppy. I feel terrible knowing I could have prevented him and his brother from getting it.

What are his chances of surviving? I took him in within an hour of when he vomited and his blood was good. Doctor said it was a 14.7 reading. He drank water and did not vomit it out. I don't want to lose him too :( Is there anything I should do?

By Nadia C from TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You may not have been able to prevent parvo in your puppies. A certain number of puppies get it even when they are vaccinated. Vaccination is the right thing to do,but with parvo it is not a guarantee. You did make a mistake, but you also need to forgive yourself. Go visit your puppy, he needs your love to fight through this. Good luck.

May 23, 2012 Flag

My sister got a puppy and within 36hrs they had to sadly put the puppy down because it had parvo. All they are asking for is the money they purchased the puppy for and not the vet bill to put him down. They sent a copy of the certificate from the vet stating that the breeder sold them a puppy unfit to sell. The breeder even after seeing the certificate claims that they got the puppy sick.

They picked the puppy up on a Thursday evening and came right home, they rushed the poor thing to the animal hospital at 2am Saturday morning. The vet also explained that the parvo virus syptoms generally show 5 to 7 days after contracting the disease, which means he got it while still with the breeder. The breeder says that the other puppies in the liter are fine and does not believe the vet report or my sister. Is it possible for only a few puppies in a liter to get parvo while others do not?

By Carol

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am with K9cats advice 100% including suing for the vet bills! It is possible only one can get it but more than likely some or all will/did. Incubation is actually 4 to 14 days so that puppy definitely had the virus before it left the breeder.

Also, print out the information from the following link to take to court along with the vets detailed bill and also the vets affidavit of explanation if he/she isn't able to personally testify in court.

http://www.vetinfo.com/dparvo.html

July 15, 2010 Flag

I just joined and saw posts by people with dogs that have parvo. I have a pup that someone didn't want and took it home and now after three days found out it has parvo.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Pets Dogs HealthMay 26, 2013
A cute black puppy chewing on its owners finger.
Teething Advice for Puppies
dog with parvo
Information About Parvo
A dog being seen by a veterinarian.
Can a Dog Get Parvo Again?
Puppy Smelling Flower
Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 8:27:30 AM on 10.0.2.91 in 7 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.