Caring for a Puppy With Parvo

Category Health
It is important to consult your veterinarian about your puppy's health concern. This guide is about caring for a puppy with parvo.

Ok, before the editors can place their "disclaimer" along with this post, I am going to place it here first. We full well understand NOT everyone is capable or has the knowledge we have behind us. So with this said, home treatment can be as expensive as vet treatment. Knowledge of animals is what helped us. Also, there are 2 forms of Parvo. We were lucky enough to be dealing with the intestinal type. If your dog develops the cardiac type, seek immediate vet help.

Editor's Note (the real one): Please discuss with a professional health care provider before starting this or any home treatment.

We have a pair of 7 month old Bull Dogs. Both had 1 set of shots. We received them as strays, so true age and health issues are truly unknown. Our male began showing signs and symptoms on Sept. 8th. On Sept. 11 we were told he had Parvo. On Sept 12, he received 1 anti-biotic shot and was sent home from a vet friend's home with orders to take him to the local vet hospital. Instead, we did our research and the following is what we did. This worked for us, I will not guarantee it will work in all cases.

Our first stop on our way home was the grocery store. We picked up Pedialyte, liquid infant anti-nausea medication, and Peptobismal. Every 30 minutes we gave him 10 cc of the Pedialyte. We also gave him 10 cc of Pedialyte with 5 cc of anti-nausea medicine.

The next morning, we made a run to town (we live in a vast farming community). First stop was more Pedialyte ($3.00 per bottle), rubber gloves ($5.00 per box), 1000mg MSM ($5.00 per bottle). The next stop was the health food store for 90 ppm colloidal silver ($20.00) - this item is a MUST, DO NOT skip it; Peppermint oil ($10.00), goldenseal root ($12.00), echinacea ($10.50), and Source of Life Gold Liquid vitamins ($16.00). All of these items are in liquid form. From there we went to the feed store and picked up antibiotic ($40.00) and needles. **Again DO NOT attempt this if you have never given an animal a shot before. My family are ranchers and so I was raised around this stuff.

Now, as our dog was throwing up we did an enema treatment. This is a must, and will get the medications into your dog without them throwing them right back out. Recipe to follow at the end. We did the enema 3 times the first day, 2 times the next day, and 1 the final day, only because he started eating and drinking on his own.

Our schedule basically consisted of:

• First Day: Pedialyte and silver in between enemas. Antibiotic shot in the morning (only one per day).

• Second Day: Rotate Pedialyte and Pedialyte with silver between enemas. Antibiotic shot.

• Third Day: He was drinking on his own, so there was no need for Pedialyte.

Now our female was starting to show signs, so we started her on the treatment early and her signs are not nearly as severe as our male. It was more or less similar to depression. Honestly, if you are getting a new puppy, most of these items can be purchased and kept on hand just in case.

The enema recipe is as follows:

• 2 (1000mg) MSM capsules, empty capsules to dissolve powder
  • 6 drops goldenseal
  • 6 drops echinacea
  • 4 drops peppermint oil
  • 1 - 2 cc colloidal silver (this is a must, do not skip)
  • 4 cc anti-nausea liquid
  • 4 cc Peptobismal
  • 5 cc Liquid Gold
  • 60 cc Pedialyte

Directions:

Mix all of this in a purchased enema bottle. We used disposable ones by emptying out the included solution, rinsing it out, and then using the bottle.

Make sure mixture is mixed well and MSM is dissolved, coat tip with some form of non-toxic lubricant and make sure back bone is straight. We discovered that it was best to lay our dog down, straighten back, and insert, talking the whole time. We then rubbed his belly afterwards and he thought he was getting lovies.

Anyways, this is what worked for us. We do NOT guarantee it. The medications in the enema are the same as what is in Parvaid. That is why we purchased them. We did not/could not afford to wait. As for food, we bought turkey with rice baby food and mixed it with baby rice cereal. When he took his first bite we knew we had conquered this deadly illness.

One more thing, if your dogs show sign of Parvo, do not give them their next round of vaccines. This will make things worse. This includes any and all dogs exposed. This comes straight from our vet friend.

By Ealasaid from Four Corners, NM

Anonymous

My 9 month old lab was diagnosed with parvo yesterday, he started showing signs of being sick Wednesday morning. They gave him a shot of antibiotic and sent us home with IV to inject under his skin between his shoulder blades. He is still not eating or drinking tryin to give him Gatorade with a child's meds syringe not going to good. He's foaming a bit is this a bad sign? Do we still have a good chance of recovery and should we try to force liquids or food in him. If he's not better by monday should we put him down praying not we love him so much and can't imagine him not being with us.

A sick dog sleeping, with a close up of his mouth and nose.

When caring for a pet with parvo, many owners would like to know the average recovery time for an infected pup. This is a guide about recovery time for dog with parvo.

I found online a herbal medication for parvo, It's called Parvaid.

By Harleys mom from Kent, WA

Editor's Note: If you have experience with this product, please post your feedback here.

My puppy has not been eating in 2 days. After he drinks water he automatically throws up white foam. He has watery diarrhea. He itches a lot. And he sleeps a lot. I think he has parvo, but I don't have any money to go to the vet. I just don't know what to do?

Parvo can be fatal. Take him to the vet and work out a payment plan.

My dog was diagnosed with the parvovirus. He has been hospitalised for 5 days already, but he is looking so much better. He was even playing and biting me. The vet says he still has to stay because he has a fever.

Is it necessary for that? Or can I look after him at home? The bills are going to be insane.

This is a serious illness. I would do what the vet advised. Try to work out a payment plan

My two puppies are already recovering from the parvovirus and show lots of improvements since their last medication. They are past the first 3 critical days. Can they be together in the same house already?

I don't think they need to be separated but ask the vet to be sure. Make sure you disinfect and burn the poop. Parvo can stay in the ground or on surfaces for years! Bleach will kill it. Be sure to do all areas where they were. They will never get parvo again but any other dog might. Glad they're doing ok. We have a few die and a few live! It's a horrible virus! I work for a rescue in SC

My puppy has parvo. I have been giving her Pedialyte and she is not dehydrated. She is still playing and moving around on her own. She finally ate a little today, but she still has bloody stool, kinda not a lot. She had it today. She also drinks on her own.

I had a dog with parvo. U can get a do it yourself shot that you insert into the back of his/her neck. Very easy unless you have a weak stomache like me. Be sure to spread lime or bleach where the dog has had access to so other animals don't catch it. Humans can also contract the disease too. Hope this was helpful to you

Any suggestions in taking care of puppies recovering from parvo? Should they take vitamins? any more vaccines? When can I bathe them?

Thanks in advance.

The vet should have given you medications. I would not give my dog anything without the vet's approval. Dogs are usually very lethargic. I would probably wipe the dog down, rather than give him a bath.

My 7 month Cane Corso has parvo. On Thursday 03-30-17 she was acting very strange. We took her to the vet the next day and they told us she has parvo. She had lost about 7 pounds and she weighed 63 pounds at the vet, I'm sure she weighs less because she has not eaten anything since Wednesday 03-29-17. We took her home that day and have been giving her anti-vommiting medicine once daily, her antibiotics 2 times daily, 1/2 teaspoon of Pepto 2 times daily, about 3-4 ounces of Pedialyte 5 times daily, and about 2 ounces of chicken broth 3 times daily. Her stool has improved slightly, it is still watery, but no bloody stool so far. She vomits grass and mucus, she eats grass when I take her out to go potty. She drinks water on her own, not much, but she is drinking some. She still won't eat any wet of dry dog food. How long does parvo last? I'm concerned. This is my first puppy to have parvo and I'm not sure if I'm doing everything right. Please help me!

Parvo can last a few weeks. Your dog should not be eating grass. I would take it out of her mouth immediately. Make sure she drinks and keep in touch with the vet. No solid food until 24 hours passed with no diarrhea/vomiting.

My dog was diagnosed yesterday with parvo. She was really bad so we took her to the vet and they sent us home with the fluids and medicine to get her rehydrated and stop throwing up and the antibiotics. She is doing great today it has been 14 hours of no throwing up, so we attempted water. She is holding down water and is excited to drink it. So we tried food. She will not eat her food or chicken or rice. Idk what to do. It's like she wants to eat, but she won't. Any suggestions?

Your dog can go 8 weeks without food. The most important thing in liquids. Use children's Pedialyte instead of water so your pet with get the most nutrient possible.

My Caucasian Shepherd puppy has had parvo for 10 days now. It's really skinny and depressed, it is also very weak. It started drinking a little water yesterday, but it throws it all up. How do I get it out of this, how many syringes of baby food and water should I give at once and how frequent should I give it?

Vomiting and diarrhea can dehydrate a dog or cat very quickly. You need to at least call the vet.

My puppy is on her 6th day of parvo. I've been feeding her baby cereal. Is that what she needs to eat? How long until she can eat hard food? Any tips for recovering pups?

As a holistic veterinarian, congratulations on her surviving parvo, and to help her live a very long and healthy life you may want to check out the 7 keys to health at MyHealthyAnimals.com

To start moving her back to food it is best to use organic chicken, cooked lightly and super soggy rice (1C in 4 C water) as long as she is not vomiting. Start by feeding small amounts, then slowly increase the amount unless there is any nausea. Next, if she is doing fine with that, I would take the time to make bone broth - www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/how-to-make-bone-broth-for-your-dog/

Also, give some organic Aloe Vera, marshmallow root slurry made from the powder, GreenHopeEssences.com "Digestive Woes and Immune support", Vit C 500 mg twice a day.

And think about finding a holistically trained vet to work with, even if you love your current one.

My puppy is 7 months old and and tested positive for parvo 9 days ago. He is eating chicken and staying hydrated and running around and being rotten as can be. My question is how long will he be pooping the parvo smell? Also can I try feeding him anything else other than chicken? I have fed him so much he's burnt out on chicken. Is there anything else I can try?

If he is eating and drinking, and not vomiting or having diarrhea or blood in his stool, he is well on his way to recovery. He also is energetic. It could take a couple of weeks for him to recover completely, and the smell will go away.

I adopted a Catahoula Leopard dog from the shelter on 3/20/2017. I was told she is almost 3 months old. She seemed very shy and timid when we adopted her and brought her home. She began vomiting and I thought it was because she was nervous or had car sickness. The next day when I got home from work, I took her outside and she had bloody diarrhea. I called the shelter immediately and they told me to bring her in. When I call they say there is no improvement. Should I be taking her to an animal hospital or caring for her at home? I worry that they do not have 24 hour monitoring or enough staff to help my baby get better.

Parvo can be fatal. Your dog should be under a vet's care. I'm surprised there is no vet at the shelter. If there isn't, take her to a vet, and don't waste any time doing so.

I am the proud owner of the most rambunctious ten month old, blue nose Pit Bull, one may ever meet. Hence her name, Kalypso. Sadly however she was diagnosed with the Parvovirus around five days ago.

The day before yesterday I purchased two large bottles of Pedialyte, and have been giving this to her to help replenish the electrolytes lost through vomit and diarrhea. She hasn't had much trouble drinking water/Pedialyte on her own other than when she would vomit.

Also, only yesterday, I purchased a bottle of (knock-off) Pepto Bismol, and have been giving that to her as well. She has had an attack of diarrhea twice since I gave her the Pepto the first time yesterday, and I've noticed it to be a significantly smaller puddle of it.

She is also known to have anxiety issues (mostly because I have these same issues) so I've been giving her some doggie medicine for that as well. It's to calm her, and help her sleep.

And of course there's good ol' TLC. Lots of love, hugs, kisses, and being called a 'good girl'.

I've noticed a slight spike in her energy level over the last couple days. She has almost completely stopped vomiting (Unless she drinks too fast). I understand it takes time for her to heal from this.

My question is, does it sound like she is on the road to recovery? It could be the optimism of a diligent pet owner, but it seems as though she is.

If I continue on this path, how much longer should it take for the diarrhea symptom to be alleviated completely? Obviously, even after the last symptom is gone, I will have her take it easy for at least another week or so. I just need someone to tell me if I'm doing the right thing or not. I can't afford to take her to the vet, but I have been doing everything else that I am possibly capable of to make sure she is comfortable, (I've not really slept since she first got sick) and working towards recovery. I hope someone replies soon. Thank you so much for taking time to read.

Sounds good. The main thing is keeping her hydrated. If you're working hard to help her keep fluids down chances are your dog will recover.

I have a two month old Bulldog puppy and we've been battling parvo for about 4 days. Now he's to the point where he's pooping blood and vomiting blood. I've been keeping him plenty hyrdrated and use Pepto for upset stomach. He hasn't had his 9 & 1 shot yet. Can I give it to him while he has parvo? Please help. I don't wanna loose him. We are on day four and still no eating or drinking.

It is very sad to hear about your baby but hopefully he is doing better.

I do not believe you should give a vaccination of any kind until your puppy is much, much better and the vet agrees that he should have one.

Since Parvo is such a serious disease I would advise you to take him to the vet if at all possible. The services will be very expensive but it may be the only way to save your puppy.

If taking your puppy to the vet is not an option than maybe you can gleam some useful information from one of these sites:

https://www.ear  /pets/parvo.html

https://pethelp  -Puppy-Has-Parvo

If my 2 month old puppy has parvo, could I give him his 1st shots or do I wait til after parvo treatment?

By Shae M. from Stockton, CA

Best Answer

Please, please be aware that parvo in puppies is very, very dangerous. Parvo can kill your puppy within hours and its a painful death. No shots til 6 months of age. Once it contracts parvo its to late for shot. please, please get your dog to a vet. ASAP

I bought a puppy 5 days ago. She was really quiet. I thought she was just wormy, but at 9 weeks old the lady I bought her from said she had had 2 sets of shots. My puppy has parvo. She is little, but a fighter. After reading up on parvo and after going to the vet very morning for 2 shots, this is what I've learned. Puppies can get parvo if they are given their shots too early and with a short time in between. This puppy had shots at five and nine weeks. If a dog is over bred it also lowers the puppy's ablity to fight the parvo virus. The puppy's mom had puppies that were 10 months and a litter that was nine weeks. We are fighting hard. I have not gotten much sleep as I am giving this little girl fluids every 15 minutes. On a personal note, if you are going to breed dogs please don't over breed. I am really upset to find out that the breeder knew the puppy was sick when I bought it as she had another one that was already sick. I know this because she uses the same vet as I do.

I guess my question is, what are her chances of making it?

With you as her owner at least she does have a chance. The kind of breeding engaged in by the seller is disgusting. If you paid money for this puppy, and are paying Vet bills, I would consider taking her to small claims court. That is the only way this kind of breeder learns. Best of luck to you and your little girl. Let us know how she does.

My 3 month old puppy has parvo. We have went to the vet and they gave her medicine, but it's not doing much. She's been drinking water, but not eating food. She is still throwing up blood and the vet said she has a 50/50 chance of living. I don't know if I should give her liquids to eat. I'm not sure what to feed her?

That would be a question only the vet who saw her could answer. This post is several months old. I am wondering if the puppy made it through?

Load More