Browsing: Caring for a Puppy With Parvo

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Caring for a Puppy With Parvo

It is important to consult your veterinarian about your puppy's health concern. This guide is about caring for a puppy with parvo.

Puppy With Parvo
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 21, 2016 Flag

I bought a puppy 5 days ago. She was really quiet. I thought she was just wormy, but at 9 weeks old the lady I bought her from said she had had 2 sets of shots. My puppy has parvo. She is little, but a fighter. After reading up on parvo and after going to the vet very morning for 2 shots, this is what I've learned. Puppies can get parvo if they are given their shots too early and with a short time in between. This puppy had shots at five and nine weeks. If a dog is over bred it also lowers the puppy's ablity to fight the parvo virus. The puppy's mom had puppies that were 10 months and a litter that was nine weeks. We are fighting hard. I have not gotten much sleep as I am giving this little girl fluids every 15 minutes. On a personal note, if you are going to breed dogs please don't over breed. I am really upset to find out that the breeder knew the puppy was sick when I bought it as she had another one that was already sick. I know this because she uses the same vet as I do.

I guess my question is, what are her chances of making it?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

With you as her owner at least she does have a chance. The kind of breeding engaged in by the seller is disgusting. If you paid money for this puppy, and are paying Vet bills, I would consider taking her to small claims court. That is the only way this kind of breeder learns. Best of luck to you and your little girl. Let us know how she does.

If your puppy is still alive, give it Silver Coloidal...I saved a pup many years ago using this...hd to force it with an eye dropper to begin with then put in water and food and still forced with eyedropper for several days...Good Luck! Hope this helps

September 17, 2010 Flag

Ok, before the editors can place their "disclaimer" along with this post, I am going to place it here first. We full well understand NOT everyone is capable or has the knowledge we have behind us. So with this said, home treatment can be as expensive as vet treatment. Knowledge of animals is what helped us. Also, there are 2 forms of Parvo. We were lucky enough to be dealing with the intestinal type. If your dog develops the cardiac type, seek immediate vet help.

Editor's Note (the real one): Please discuss with a professional health care provider before starting this or any home treatment.

We have a pair of 7 month old Bull Dogs. Both had 1 set of shots. We received them as strays, so true age and health issues are truly unknown. Our male began showing signs and symptoms on Sept. 8th. On Sept. 11 we were told he had Parvo. On Sept 12, he received 1 anti-biotic shot and was sent home from a vet friend's home with orders to take him to the local vet hospital. Instead, we did our research and the following is what we did. This worked for us, I will not guarantee it will work in all cases.

Our first stop on our way home was the grocery store. We picked up Pedialyte, liquid infant anti-nausea medication, and Peptobismal. Every 30 minutes we gave him 10 cc of the Pedialyte. We also gave him 10 cc of Pedialyte with 5 cc of anti-nausea medicine.

The next morning, we made a run to town (we live in a vast farming community). First stop was more Pedialyte ($3.00 per bottle), rubber gloves ($5.00 per box), 1000mg MSM ($5.00 per bottle). The next stop was the health food store for 90 ppm colloidal silver ($20.00) - this item is a MUST, DO NOT skip it; Peppermint oil ($10.00), goldenseal root ($12.00), echinacea ($10.50), and Source of Life Gold Liquid vitamins ($16.00). All of these items are in liquid form. From there we went to the feed store and picked up antibiotic ($40.00) and needles. **Again DO NOT attempt this if you have never given an animal a shot before. My family are ranchers and so I was raised around this stuff.

Now, as our dog was throwing up we did an enema treatment. This is a must, and will get the medications into your dog without them throwing them right back out. Recipe to follow at the end. We did the enema 3 times the first day, 2 times the next day, and 1 the final day, only because he started eating and drinking on his own.

Our schedule basically consisted of:

• First Day: Pedialyte and silver in between enemas. Antibiotic shot in the morning (only one per day).

• Second Day: Rotate Pedialyte and Pedialyte with silver between enemas. Antibiotic shot.

• Third Day: He was drinking on his own, so there was no need for Pedialyte.

Now our female was starting to show signs, so we started her on the treatment early and her signs are not nearly as severe as our male. It was more or less similar to depression. Honestly, if you are getting a new puppy, most of these items can be purchased and kept on hand just in case.

The enema recipe is as follows:

• 2 (1000mg) MSM capsules, empty capsules to dissolve powder
  • 6 drops goldenseal
  • 6 drops echinacea
  • 4 drops peppermint oil
  • 1 - 2 cc colloidal silver (this is a must, do not skip)
  • 4 cc anti-nausea liquid
  • 4 cc Peptobismal
  • 5 cc Liquid Gold
  • 60 cc Pedialyte

Directions:

Mix all of this in a purchased enema bottle. We used disposable ones by emptying out the included solution, rinsing it out, and then using the bottle.

Make sure mixture is mixed well and MSM is dissolved, coat tip with some form of non-toxic lubricant and make sure back bone is straight. We discovered that it was best to lay our dog down, straighten back, and insert, talking the whole time. We then rubbed his belly afterwards and he thought he was getting lovies.

Anyways, this is what worked for us. We do NOT guarantee it. The medications in the enema are the same as what is in Parvaid. That is why we purchased them. We did not/could not afford to wait. As for food, we bought turkey with rice baby food and mixed it with baby rice cereal. When he took his first bite we knew we had conquered this deadly illness.

One more thing, if your dogs show sign of Parvo, do not give them their next round of vaccines. This will make things worse. This includes any and all dogs exposed. This comes straight from our vet friend.

By Ealasaid from Four Corners, NM

September 17, 2016 Flag

My 3 month old puppy has parvo. We have went to the vet and they gave her medicine, but it's not doing much. She's been drinking water, but not eating food. She is still throwing up blood and the vet said she has a 50/50 chance of living. I don't know if I should give her liquids to eat. I'm not sure what to feed her?

August 7, 2016 Flag

My Pit Bull started having symptoms of parvo yesterday with vomiting, blood in poop (looks like straight blood) and wouldn't eat. The vomiting has stopped, but she is still pooping blood. She's drunk water on her own here and there, but hasn't vomited. Is that common if she has parvo? Any info will help.

Please take your dog to your vet immediately to clarify the problem and provide medical treatment. May or may not be the deadly Parvo, however, her symptoms are dire and she needs help now!

February 24, 2014 Flag

If my 2 month old puppy has parvo, could I give him his 1st shots or do I wait til after parvo treatment?

By Shae M. from Stockton, CA

Best Answer

Please, please be aware that parvo in puppies is very, very dangerous. Parvo can kill your puppy within hours and its a painful death. No shots til 6 months of age. Once it contracts parvo its to late for shot. please, please get your dog to a vet. ASAP

Best Answer

You cant give parvo vaccinations to a dog who has a parvo infection.

June 23, 2016 Flag

I wanted to asked one lady about where she bought the Zofran for her 9 month Pit Bull puppy. My puppy is 2 months and I think he may have parvo, because he's throwing up yellow or white foam. I would like to know if you can get it over the counter.

Please take your pup to your vet immediately to clarify the medical condition and start appropriate medical treatment. Trying to save money by attempting to diagnose and treat the pup's medical problem yourself will only result in worsening of the problem and much more costly medical treatment and possibly death.

January 9, 2016 Flag

We adopted an 8 wk puppy. She weighs 9.3# and she showed symptoms of parvo. The vet put her on Tamil. We are 3 days in and she eats a little and drinks a little. We help hydrate her with a syringe of H2O and clear Gatorade. She seems sluggish at times and a little active at others. Is she in the clear? She never really had "severe" loose stools, like watery, they were always like pudding, sometimes in a form. She may vomit 1 maybe 2X a day, if that. Now what should I offer her, wet food, or puppy milk? Please help.

I have had 2 dogs with parvo. One of my dogs was so sick he spent 5 days on a IV at the vets. The other dog just received a series of shots and some medicine. When my dog first started to eat again the vet suggested I only give them rice or pasta. I found that pasta was better for the dogs and they enjoyed it much more than rice. My vet told me to stop offering milk to the dogs after they are finished nursing from their mother. They no longer need the milk. What your dog needs now is water and some bland food.

After the problem with parvo I only feed my dogs pasta and some cooked chicken, fish, or beef. I stay away from ground beef because it can cause crystals in their urine. I basically buy packages of scraps from my local store to cook and feed to my dog. It has been 5 years now since the problem with parvo and both of my dogs are healthy and haven't been sick since this time.

Parvo can be severe or mild. I wouldn't say your dog is in the clear until there are no more symptoms and the dog is eating normally. I think poehere's advice is good. Mushy food and syringes of water would probably be good.

April 22, 2016 Flag

My 2 puppies suffered from parvo 5 days ago, but on the 3rd day they started to eat by themselves. I gave them chicken with rice, and they ate it all. But they don't want to drink water so I've been giving them Pedialyte and Gatorade every hour.

Why don't they want to drink? I heard once they eat by themselves they had survived the virus, but they don't want to drink :( Did they relapse?
Are they going to die? I am so worried:(

Please contact your vet immediately to help your puppies. They will quickly become dehydrated and could relapse or die.

March 30, 2016 Flag

We have had parvo in two puppies that were not fully vaccinated yet. They are now on the mend after being very sick. They are now eating and drinking with no more sickness. Their poo is still soft, but not runny.

Load More
Pets Dogs HealthMay 26, 2013
A cute black puppy chewing on its owners finger.
Teething Advice for Puppies
dog with parvo
Information About Parvo
A dog being seen by a veterinarian.
Can a Dog Get Parvo Again?
Puppy Smelling Flower
Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 12:08:43 AM on 10.0.2.91 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.