Cleaning Baked On Food

Trying to clean baked on food off of pots, pans, and other bakeware can be very frustrating and a lot of work. This is a guide about cleaning baked on food.

Baked On Food in Broiler Pan
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

How do you remove burned food from Pyrex? It is a sugary glaze that burned on to the Pyrex.

By gmadrum from Turlock, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I put a good amount of baking soda and small amount of water, set on low on the stove, it gently "simmers" it out, have done hundreds of times, especially on dishes with burn stains from garage sales. As soon as you take it off, dump the water and start rinsing the leftover gunk out with Dobie and water.

Read More Answers...

I heated onion soup with milk and let it boil over. I immediately soaked the pan in hot soapy water. I cannot get the stain off my pot. I have hand washed it, used steel wool, run it though the dishwasher multiple times and nothing works. Help please!

By Melinda D. from OKC, OK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If it's just a stain, it won't affect the pot. You can still use it. If it's stuck on milk, then one of the other suggestions should work.

Read More Answers...

I always find it hard to clean my glass bakeware or metal baking sheets after making lasagna or cake. Is there any solution I can soak them in before scrubbing?

I use SOS pads, but I am sick of scrubbing for so long to get this mess out. I would rather soak it first in something better. I have tried hot water and soap. Any suggestions please?

By Amber Dawn from Toronto, Ontario

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Dishwasher detergent. That stuff dissolves everything.

Read More Answers...

Fill the burnt pan with soap and water and add a fabric softener sheet. Let set overnight and wash as usual. If it is a stubborn burn repeat the process.

By Mary from Nebraska and AZ

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I clean a scorched pot?

By Evelyn from Savannah, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Put a new or used dryer sheet and warm water and let it soak. Scrub with the dryer sheet. Works like a charm.

Read More Answers...

I cannot remove Pam spray residue from a cookie sheet once it is baked on. Food residue can be cleaned with no problem after soaking with soapy water.

By Dee Jay from Clearwater, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

And I thought I was crazy wandering what was going on with my pans. It's the spray! I have soaked-boiled went through a box of SOS pads and it's the freaking spray. Thank for the post because I wont use the spray again. It took for ever to get it off my cast iron skillet and then I had to season it all over again. The spray is gone today.

Read More Answers...

Those little square plastic tabs that are used to close bread bags are wonderful for scraping baked-on food from casserole dishes and pots and pans (including those non-stick teflon pans). They don't scratch! I even use one on the surface of the stove if things have spilled and have gotten hard and crusty. It's also a great way to clean a glass top stove. Use and toss. There's always more where that one came from.

By Carole Ann Lee from Portland, Oregon

I would like information on cleaning off burnt stains on stainless steal pots and pans after the gunky stuff is off. Thank you.

By suni0118 from Madison, WI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Barkeeper's Friend also works amazingly well. Most grocery stores have it in the section where Comet and other cleaning powders are sold. It's non-abrasive and really shines up stainless steel to look like new. I use it on my cooktop and many other things too.

Read More Answers...

I know two tips for burnt pans. The first one is to boil rhubarb in the pan - it works! The second is to boil a small amount of bio washing powder in the burnt pan - it also works!

By Deb

Take enough cream of tartar to cover the area to be cleaned and/or to remove baked on food. Add enough vinegar to make a thin paste. Cover the area to be cleaned and apply extra thick on baked on areas. Leave on 12 hours. Wipe off and wash thoroughly. Use second application if necessary.

By Charley from West Henrietta, NY

When hand washing glass cookware and cast iron pans, I like to use a window paint scraper with the blade to remove baked on food. It works great and has them clean in no time.

By Marie from Kingston, Ontario

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you have burned on gunk in a pan, soak the pan or burner ring in dishwasher detergent. Just put some in the pan, add hot water, and let sit for a few hours or overnight. Stuff will come right off.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We have just over baked some beans in a crock bean pot and they have really cooked on. We have scrubbed until we have worn out 2 pads. Is there an easy way to clean baked on beans from a crock bean pot?
Thank you,
Bob

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

a lot of times when i have something that is baked on and won't come off I let is soak overnight in hot water, dish soap and clorox cleanup. or just spray it with the clorox clean up and let it soak for a while...usually works well. Clorox cleanup is a staple in my kitchen, laundry room, bathroom and every room in my house!

Read More Answers...

How do I clean a burnt pan?

By Suzhikes

Answers:

Cleaning Burnt Pans

Put baking soda in the bottom of the wet pan and scrub it with steel wool or another scratchy object. Wash it when you are done. (12/20/2010)

By countrydoglover

Cleaning Burnt Pans

This works everytime! Cover the surface with washing powder and then add a small amount of water to form a paste. Leave to soak overnight. Then using firstly a spatula or scraper ease the burnt food off the surface which will come away quite easily. The rest should come away quite easily with a scourer. On the outer bit of the pan use Jif or something similar to get rid of the rest of the burn. Good luck! (12/22/2010)

By MOWATANNE

Cleaning Burnt Pans

CLR (12/22/2010)

By bama03

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I clean cooking spray off of cookie sheets? I have a nonstick cookie sheet which I used and the cooking spray will not come off of it. It's a mess. It didn't even come off in the dishwasher. Any help would be appreciated.

By Jen from Forest Lake, MN

Answers:

Removing Baked On Cooking Spray

Have you tried the 'fight fire with fire' method? Spray cooking spray on the sheet; wait a couple of minutes, then see if it will remove. I recommend a non-scratching scrubber. (10/14/2009)

By Cajun62234

Removing Baked On Cooking Spray

Baking soda, my best friend. (10/15/2009)

By pjcustar

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I burnt chili on the bottom of a pan. How can I get it clean?

By Ron from Chicago, IL

Answers:

Cleaning Burnt Pans

I see you have lots of answers to your question here, and this has nothing to do with cleaning the pan, but here is a tip to keep burned chili from tasting burned. Once the chili scorches, pour it in a different pot, and don't scrape the bottom of the pot or you'll get the burned taste in the chili. (11/20/2010)

By Anonymous

Cleaning Burnt Pans

Fill the pan with water and a bit of dish soap. Bring it to a boil and then let it set overnight. Then wash it normally. The burnt chili should come right off! Best wishes. (11/20/2010)

By Ivy W.

Cleaning Burnt Pans

I managed to burn sugar onto the bottom of an (fairly expensive and new) enameled pan, as anyone who has faced it will know, burnt-on sugar is a nightmare.

After trying bicarbonate of soda, biological washing powder and denture cleaning tablets (all of which I recommend trying first) I resorted to medical peroxide, which I was reliably informed would definitely sort it out.

Alas, it didn't. In the end I resorted to coating the bottom in household ammonia and replacing the lid quickly because of the smell. I then went about my daily business and came back a good 18 hours later. Opening all the windows and standing well back, I placed the pan-and-lid under a quickly running cold tap. Then taking the lid off and standing well back to avoid fumed, I watched as the previously immovable burn simply floated away down the drain! The enamel was untouched so, following a vigorous clean to remove any traces of ammonia, the pan was as good as new.

I don't know whether teflon (non-stick coating) would also be impervious to ammonia in the same way, and suspect that aluminum would react badly, but ammonia's definitely a winner on enamel. I'd probably try all all the other methods first though, ammonia's horrible stuff and stinks your kitchen out. (11/21/2010)

By rjt88

Cleaning Burnt Pans

I have tried all these methods with varying poor results. What works best is to sprinkle on some powdered dishwasher detergent, add hot water and let sit overnight. By a.m. all the gunk washes off with just a touch of a scrubby sponge. (11/21/2010)

By lindal

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The inside of a stainless kettle burnt after I forgot I was steaming beans. How do I clean the kettle?

By Donna from Big Bend, WI

Answers:

Cleaning Burnt Pans

I usually start by boiling some water in pan with baking soda just to heat the water and then let soak overnight.
Lots of gunk will scrape clean then with a spatula. I look at what's left and use a scratcher or steel wool pad.
Occasionally a kitchen pumice is needed. Just glide it flat over the burnt part and because the burn actually sticks up above the level of the pan, it sort of sands it off. Of course you can't use it on a non stick, but soda water will usually be enough for non-stick. Pumice works great on pots and pans, but try to use the flat side always, and keep it flat, as it seems gentler on the pan. (07/28/2010)

By PIKKA

Cleaning Burnt Pans

I watched an episode of "How Clean Is Your House" and they just poured a can of Coca Cola into the burnt pot, enough to cover the burned bits, and brought it to a boil. They allowed it to cool. The burned remains then just whisked off. (07/30/2010)

By MotherOfTwelveCats

Cleaning Burnt Pans

I finally after trying many chemicals found the answer. I mixed the muratic acid that I use for my pool in equal amounts with water and poured it in the pan. In about 15 minutes all the burnt food was floating. No scrubbing.

EDITORS NOTE: Muratic acid is NOT meant to be ingested, it can in fact cause severe damage to the human body if ingested. Please don't use it as a cleansing solution for items you cook on or eat from. (09/08/2010)

By Danny N

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you have burned on food in your pans, add some water and dishwasher detergent, and boil for a few minutes. The food comes right off.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I left a Revere egg poaching pot on the stove with the lid on and it boiled dry. Now the inside of the whole thing is black and the copper bottom is now very, very dull.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I burned macaroni in my Revereware pan. Now it is really black and stuck. I have been soaking with hot soapy water and scrubbing with SOS pad. Help.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a pot that I forgot was cooking on the stove. I guess you know what happened. All the food burnt and the pot looks awful. How do I clean it and what do I use?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I burned my baking pan while baking my apple pie. It dripped over onto the baking pan. I tried boiling it on stove, but no luck. Please help. It is a brand new pan.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I burned oatmeal on my Calphalon steel stockpot. I have washed it and scrubbed it and nothing seems to take it out. How can I remove it?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I burned some meatballs in spaghetti sauce in a pot that I forgot was on low flame. I don't have the "muscle grease" to scrub it off.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I burnt my teapot by leaving it on the stove for too long. It now has brown spots all over it. How do I clean it?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am having a hard time removing baked-on food from a heavy weight baking sheet that I borrowed. Thanks for any help.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does anyone know of an easy way to clean a burnt pan? I was boiling some potatoes and the water boiled off and my pan is stained black.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am a middle school Foods teacher. I have a problem with the cooking spray getting baked on the cookie sheets and other baking pans. It leaves a yellowish layer that just does not come off with regular scrubbing. Any ideas for cleaning this problem?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Getting burned on or stuck on food from pans: Sprinkle with powdered dishwasher detergent, add hot water, let soak overnight. In morning, pans come clean very quickly. By Lesley

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Cleaning Pans With Baked On Food. Here's a little trick my grandmother taught me for cleaning pans with baked on food. Fill pan with a couple cups of water and about two squirts of dishwashing liquid.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you clean baked on food on a Pyrex casserole dish? I have tried the Oxy foam, cleanser, Dawn Power Grease remover to no avail. It has "settled" into the glass.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning DishesOctober 22, 2012
Woman Holding Her Mouth With Chili Pepper
Stopping the Burn from Spicy Food
Mashed potatoes with bacon and cheese.
Twice Baked Mashed Potato Recipes
Pet Food in Bowl
Buying Pet Food
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 27, 2016 at 4:05:07 PM on 10.0.2.112 in 973 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.