Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
I used to put the glass votive candle holders in the freezer to 'pop' out the old candle wax and that works, but I have found a much easier way.
I run about 1 teaspoon of water into the glass votive holder from the faucet, then put it in the microwave for 1 minute. Microwaves vary, so run it long enough to completely melt the old wax. Be careful, it gets very hot!
When it's just cool enough to handle, I simply take a paper towel and wipe it out dry. You're done. You don't even have to wash it because it comes out so clean. Obviously you cannot put a metal votive in the microwave, so the freezer is still a good idea for those.
By Patty from East Peoria, IL
Before I use my votives, I put enough water in the cup just to cover the bottom. I then put my candle in. After it has burned, I just turn the candle over and it falls out.
The lady who is responsible for cleaning the glass candlesticks on the altar at our church amazed me when she put the candlesticks, which were covered with hardened wax drippings, into the freezer at church. When they were very, very cold, the wax just popped right off.
The errant bits that didn't just fall off required only the nudge of a fingernail. She says she even puts the metal altar candleholders in the freezer and the wax pops right off. I'm a little hesitant to try brass or silver candlesticks in the freezer, but I have cleaned up all my glass ones at home using this method. It works!
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
How can I remove candle wax from a glass tabletop?
I'm thinking that if you scrape the wax off w/ a single edged razor blade then place a cloth over the residual wax and use a medium hot iron on the cloth it may absorb the rest of it or at least make it easier for you to wipe off what's left. Hope that helps.
First put an ice cube on the wax to chill it well and then use a single edge razor blade (single edge for safety for you!) to scrape the wax off the glass. Any residual should come off with your hair dryer and a paper towel.
Try warming the wax to soften it with a hair-dryer and it should lift pretty easily from the table top with your fingernail.
Chill the wax first; scrape it off with an old credit card (I save the ones that come in the mail unsolicited & use them for almost everything that needs scraping). When most of it is removed, let the glass come to room temperature, then place paper towels on top of the residue and heat with a blow dryer. This should clear it up completely.