Clothing is Bleeding Onto Itself

Two color rugby shirt.
When washing clothes, colors may bleed. This guide is about clothing is bleeding onto itself.

My daughter's dress's background colour has run on to the main colour. What do I do?

Answer Was this helpful? 2

a red and white dress was washed and the red bled into the white

you could try rubbing salt into area's that have run and leave for a day or two. its worth a try.

I HAVE WHITE AND BLACK DRESS AND THE WHIITE PART OF THE DRESS IS FADE WITH NAVY BLUE. HOW DO I GET THE DRESS WHITE AGAIN.

I have a white blouse with navy polka dots and the navy has bled onto the white in large areas. This is a favourite blouse so is there any way to rectify this problem?

I have a silk shirt which is black and white stripe. On the label it said wash in cold water which I did and the black has run into the white. Is there anyway I can fix this?
Thanks.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

A very easy online search for "color bleeding or dye transfer" produced many good ideas to remedy your problem. However, if the black continues to bleed, you may need to use the dye transfer process each time you wash the shirt. You can try a search yourself and this very helpful site:

http://laundry.  From-Clothes.htm

My shirt is silk and it says not to use on silk, also I live in

Australia and haven't heard of the product.

Always try to keep receipts and buy from stores that allow returns in cases like this. You followed the rules, after all. Even if you were able to fix this somehow there's no guarantee it wouldn't happen again the next time you wash it.

A shirt that isn't washable isn't usable, so get the store to reimburse you.

I have a white lace dress with a black zipper. It says dry clean, but I washed it in cold water. The dye as come from the zipper onto the lace dress. The dress is just lace no underskirt so it's see through. How can I get the dye out? Please help.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I washed a white piece of clothing with red thread embroidery and all the red bled onto the white, so now it is a shade of pink. Another piece of clothing that I washed had a maroon lace, the clothing itself is a self-print light beige, and the maroon lace bled onto the shirt. So now there are light maroonish color stains below the lace. (I washed both clothes separately).

I wanted to know will the boiling water and bleach method work on these shirts or will it completely ruin my clothes? Any other suggestions?

By XYZ

Boiling water could cause shrinkage. For the white shirt, you could take a q-tip and dip an end in bleach and dab the spots, it will be time consuming, but should work, then when you rinse the bleach out you will have to be careful that it doesn't run into the red, because you could end up with pink threads. Bleach will take the color out of anything colored. Whenever I have something colored that has a lighter color decoration or vice-versa, I use Shout brand Color Catcher sheets, found in the laundry department at stores. Whenever I have used these, I have had no problem with colors fading onto other things. I don't think they will work for correcting problems that a person has, but they sure work beforehand. My mother taught me when I was just a little girl to be really careful about colors that might run. back then that usually included washing items like that in cold water, by hand, then laying the item on a bath towel and rolling it up tightly to get the excess water out of it, then hanging it to dry.

New clothes with dyes that bleed can be soaked in salt water then dried prior to washing, this prevents the dyes from running.

My mother-in-law told me about soaking clothes in salt water, I have also heard about vinegar water, but never had any success with either one. Actually what I was told was that the soaking kept the clothes from fading, not from colors running into each other.

Try washing the items by themselves with 2 or 3 Shout Color Catcher Sheets, available in the laundry aisle at the supermarket. This product has saved several garments for me.

I have a red and white striped dress that has turned out pink and red when washed! How can I get it back to red and white again? Would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Linda from Sydney, Australia

Here in the US there is a product that you can add to the wash, looks like a thick dryer sheet, and it traps the dyes that are floating around in your wash. That might help if you can find it, I believe it's made by Shout Detergent.

Also try RIT fabric dye remover for these types of mistakes, they have a website and if you can't find there, I am sure you can order. Whatever you do, don't dry it!

Sorry if I'm late with this - have had computer problems for over a week. Dylon have a product called Runaway that removes dye that has run in the wash. I have used it succdessfully. Here is a link to the product:

<http://www.dylo  loursafe.htm>

Sorry, I had this happen to a black and white dress of mine once. Unfortunately, it was ruined. Nothing worked. I was told it was a defect in the fabric - the manufacturer did not set the colors properly when making the fabric. My dress did say it was washable, so after trying everything, I was able to return it to the store "as defective" and got a refund. It was a bummer because I absolutely LOVED that dress too!

I have a white football jersey with blue strips on the sides and blue sleeves. I washed it and the blue bled onto the white making it baby blue. How do I return it to its original white color?

I recently brought a red and white morph suit and the white areas have turned slightly red/pink. Is there any way I can remove the red/pink from the white areas completely? Please respond as soon as possible as I need to use the morph suit for Friday.

By Matt

If you rub a sliced open lemon on it, it will draw the pink coloring out.

My little girl had a Santa Suit outfit that was dark red with the little fuzzy white collar. The red ran onto the white. I took a bottle of lemon juice out of the fridge, saturated a cotton ball and began to go over the collar with the cotton ball. I didn't saturate the collar but it was very damp.

I noticed that some of the red came off onto the cotton ball but most did not. I let it sit for about 5 minutes and got some no-name brand Oxyclean powder and mixed it in some water. With an old toothbrush, I scrubbed the collar with the Oxyclean solution and the collar was saturated when I was through. I noticed the red on the collar had turned brown.

I then put it in the washer with a color catcher and regular old Tide. I did cold water for an extra long normal cycle. It took all the red stain out of the collar without doing any damage to the rest of the top.

I have a jacket and a vest made of 86% nylon and 14% spandex that I soaked in cold water and Epsom salt before washing. The black bled into the pink and it has left spots, lots of them on the garments. I washed them in cold water with no fabric softener after the soaking, but the color still bled. What can I do now?

By Lyn from Saskatchewan, Canada

I just used Oxi Clean and it worked like a charm. I washed cranberry fabric with colors/white print and all the white was pink! 5 yards of fabric at $9.00 a yard and I thought I ruined it before I even started! I put it in the sink with warm water and a bunch of Oxi Clean and the water instantly turned pink, within minutes the white was white again! I am amazed and relieved. It really works!

Ok, I came home from a cruise, finally pulled the pile of whites out of the suitcase and into the wash, not noticing the fuchsia tank top in the "mix." The 9 pcs. of whites turned so pink that I was surprised the fuchsia top was still bright and colorful!

Re-Wash with bleach - no luck

Oxiclean (which I had) - no luck

Two boxes of Rit Dye remover - no luck

After staring at the pile of wet pink clothing for 2 days, figuring I had now set the dye, I pulled out my Cauldron, started boiling the water, added bleach.

#1 - Lightweight cotton shorts - Turned white before my eyes!

#2 - Jean weight shorts - took a little longer and more stirring

#3 - Tank top with black/silver sequins and other bangles - SUCCESS! PLUS the sequins, bangles, and beads still sparkle!

Nine pieces of whites SAVED!

Note: The water temp is important - the heavy shorts were not responding, but thanks to a post in here, I turned the burner back on, the warmer it got the faster the pink disappeared.

Also, from a post - change the water and bleach for each "load." I did use quality Clorox - newly purchased. Bleach starts losing its strength with age.

Thank you everyone!

I made a Santa suit and had to wash it. The red dye has run into the white and made it pink how do I get the white fluff white without making it worse?

My yellow colour kurti..base color is yellow n thread embroidery colour blue...blue color fade on yellow..nw what to do???plz help

I am in need of help. I have a white polyester blazer with black lapels, and the black has transferred onto the white in patches that look purple all over the blazer. Is it possible to remove the purple patches without disturbing the black lapels on the blazer? I haven't even been able to wear the blazer yet.

Any feedback is appreciated.

I have a white jacket with black trimmings. It's my absolute favorite!
The outer shell is:
70% viscose, 26% polyester, 4% elastene lining.
Inner:
94% viscose, 6% elastane.

I have hand washed it before and it has been fine although I accidentally used hotwater this time and it has come out yellow. It is curently soaking in cold water. Please does anyone know if this is fixable or have I ruined it? I can't find any information for cleaning tips anywhere!

Anonymous

try dying it white - use your washing machine and a Ritz or Dylon dye solution (liquid dye would be best rather than the powder).

Good luck - no harm in trying

I've got a multi coloured shirt with the following colours; white, red, grey, and dark blue. After washing the shirt, the red and blue colours bled into the white and now my shirt is ruined. Please I need your help.

By Jesse

Try rewashing it again this time putting salt in ur water. It will stop the colors from running, and hopefully take out the stains.

Help! I made my daughter's pink and white uniform tie-dye on the white. She has 2 tournaments this weekend. It cost $200 and no way can I buy one as it can take weeks. What can I do?

By Esther W.

Rit dye used to make a product called color removal, that may work.

How do I get navy colour out of outfit that has run into a yellow part of the outfit? Please help; it's my daughter's cheer dance outfit. Thanx.

By Karen

Color safe bleach.

When I soaked my new white and black striped dress in cold water using Surf xcel some part of the whitish part was covered with the black colour of the dress itself. How do I clean it now? It's new and my fav dress. Pleass help me as soon as possible.

Arpita

This sound like a fashion problem. If it's white, don't be afraid bleach it, girl :) Hope this helped.

How do I remove the red that bled onto the white of my daughter's swimsuit? It's a Nike red and white striped tankini. She wore it in the ocean and pool, then soaked it in cold water. The water turned pink and the red bled onto the white. After letting it air dry, I then washed it on delicate in cold water with a mild detergent (Ecos, coconut based) and a Shout Color Catcher sheet. The bleed did not improve. The red is now dark pink and the white is light pink. Any suggestions?

By Deborah B.

Shout Color Catcher isn't for removing color that has already bled onto another color, it is to prevent it in the first place. If the color is even don't worry about it, let it look like two shades of pink. Other wise carefully use bleach on the parts that are supposed to be white. But by doing that you run the risk of getting bleach on the colored part.

If wearing it in the ocean and the pool didn't cause the colors to bleed, then your daughter soaked it in more than just cold water. Myself, rather than have it soaking I would have given it a quick rinse and and left it to dry. I am also real leery about buying red and white combos.

However I have had a red sweatshirt with a white inset in the v-neck for about six years and have always used the color catcher sheets when I launder it and the red looks like new and there is no sign of bleed on the white.

I have a dress that has a black skirt attached to a white lace top. I stupidly left the dress to soak over night in order to remove a make up stain from the white lace, but the black skirt of the dress bled onto the white lace leaving it a very light shade of purple. Would a color safe bleach be safe to use on the white lace? Also, the dress has since dried so I have a feeling the dye has now set. Is there any hope of saving my dress?
Thanks :-)

By Bec

Did the dress air dry or dryer dry? If dryer dried, the stain may be set. Since it is unwearable as is, you could try soaking it in a solution of powder dishwasher detergent and lukewarm water. Mix 1 cup detergent into enough water to keep the dress submerged overnight. Weigh it down with a plate on top in the container if needed. Then rinse well and air dry. If it helped but was not completely successful, repeat.

If you don't have a dishwasher, the el cheapo brand from the dollar store works fine. You also could try laundering the dress as usual by itself with 2-3 Shout Color Catcher Sheets. The box says use 1 but I have found that more seem to work better. This product can be found in the detergent aisle at the supermarket. Hope one of these helps.

I just washed for the first time a red sweatshirt with a white embroidered motif, and the colour has run from the red into the white. Can I rescue it, and how can I prevent it happening with the other sweatshirts which are similar (one violet and one jade) also with white embroidered motif, before I risk washing them?

By Jenny G

I found this link. I hope it helps you get the dye out of the fabric!

Run cold water in a sink and place a tablespoon of all-fabric powdered bleach in the water. Make sure to use a powdered bleach that works with all colors and fabrics

Read more: How to Remove Transferred Dye From Fabric | eHow.com http://www.ehow  ml#ixzz1m8SVMAqz

I have a light orange Harley Davidson cotton short sleeve shirt. It has black dye spots on the orange on the right shoulder. Can it ever come out?

I have washed my daughter's denim jacket which has a cream coloured fur collar. I followed the washing instructions to the letter, but as you can guess, the fur is now blue! Please can anyone help? How can I restore the fur to its original creamy white colour?

For silk cotton material dresses, dry wash can be replaced by a shampoo wash. Usually we do that, but this time while we washed a silk cotton dress (Chudi top) the dark dye mixed with the lighter dye. The dress color is magenta and sandal. After shampoo wash we seen that the magenta dye color mixed with the sandal dye color. Is there any chance to recover the actual sandal dye color by removing magenta dye color? The dress material is silk cotton where normal wash is not applicable.

I have a top with red and green colors, but after washing the green color bled onto the red color. Now I can't wear it. Is there any solution to remove the green color from red color?

By Priya from India

I have a black and orange top, the black has gone onto the orange when I washed it. How can I get it out?

By Marie P

So my mother washed my favourite sports bra for dancing. The original color was the inside was purple and the outside was pink, but now the purple has run into the pink and it looks awful. Does anyone have and suggestions on how to fix it i'd really appreciate it thanks!

By Chloe

I washed my new tunic top from India with like colors in cold water. The tunic top is cream with hot pink embellishments. The hot pink ran and stained the cream on the top. I have not dried in the dryer. What can I do to get the stains out?

By Karen M

I washed my daughter's cheer shirt that is white and has blue and gold trim. The blue bled on the white and the gold. How do I get the blue of the white as well as off the gold?

By Cher from Orange Park, FL

Load More