Cocker Spaniel Breed Information and Photos

An active, sturdy dog who are mostly sought after for companionship, but still retain keen hunting instincts. This guide contains cocker spaniel breed information and photos.

Breed Description: The American Cocker Spaniel is an active, friendly dog with a refined, rounded head, long, lobular ears and a sturdy compact body. Although mostly sought after for companionship, the Cocker Spaniel still retains the keen hunting instincts typically found in all spaniels.

Group: Sporting

Purpose of Breed: Hunting and flushing small game

Country of Origin: USA

Average Size: Averages 14-15 inches and 24-28 pounds

Color(s): Jet black, and other solid colors; may include tan markings; also parti-colored.

Coat Type: The Cocker Spaniel has a medium-length silky coat along the back and sides of its body, except for its ears, chest, abdomen and legs, which are covered with profuse amounts of long, silky, flat or wavy hair.

Grooming: The Cocker Spaniel's beautiful coat needs to be bathed and brushed frequently and taken to a professional grooming salon on a regular basis. This breed requires standard care for ears, pads and nails. Eyes should be cleaned regularly.

Exercise Needs: Although very adaptable to apartment living, the Cocker Spaniel enjoys fresh air and daily exercise and excels in active sports like agility competitions.

Temperament: This warm and friendly breed can become overly excited and requires lots of love and attention. Sensitive, loving and faithful, Cocker Spaniels make wonderful companions and are happiest when they feel like part of the family.

Common Ailments: Eye sensitivities

Life Expectancy: Averages 10-14 years Trivia: Rutherford B. Hayes owned a Cocker Spaniel named "Dot."

More Information: The American Cocker Spaniel Club, Inc. www.asc-cockerspaniel.org

THANKS FOR LISTING THE COCKER SPANIEL. WE HAVE ONE THAT IS A CHOCOLATE AND TAN. SHE IS VERY SPOILED AND I SWEAR SHE HAS BEEN REINCARNATED AND WAS A PERSON IN HER FORMER LIFE BECAUSE SHE SURE DOESN'T THINK SHE IS A DOG NOW

As a profound animal lover of all kinds, a lot of my pet experiences haven't always been the best. My greatest accomplishment was when I found the most well behaved, sociable, Cocker Spaniel puppy! I've had my dog, Beauty, for 4 yrs. Now. My 6 year old son is super over active and can be a lite rough with Beauty. I'm only mentioning one breed, but there are many sites that cover all breeds! Cocker Spaniels are the ultimate companion. Extremely smart and easy to train. Not to mention they are very tolerant of large families with small children. Just love them, feed them, and brush them everyday and your whole family will enjoy their affection in return!

As a previous owner of a wonderful most loyal pet that i have ever had has a family member was a light sandy brown coker spaniel She was the most loving caring animal i knew she would hunt squirrels and she could even sing jingle bells a wonderful pet for the whole family

How big does a miniture Cocker Spaniel get? What kind of problems do they have? Are they hyper little dogs? What kind of activities do they like?

By Karen from Waldron, AR

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Deborah, Thank you! She is a very cute and sweet lil' dog and very loveable. I am still learning a lot about her. I have only had her for a year now I got her when she was 2 months old. She is a very spoiled lil' girl. Thank you for the info that help me out.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Your Pet's Age
2 Years

Your Pet's Breed
American Cocker Spaniel

How and when did you get your pet?
She joined our family in May 2011.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
She loves to play fetch.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
Coco loves to eat fruits and is very fond of driving. :-) Check out her Facebook account.

Comment Like this photo? 18

Oh so cute! :)

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Your Pet's Age
5 months

Your Pet's Breed
American Cocker Spaniel

How and when did you get your pet?
I received him from a breeder in August. My previous Cocker had passed away a few weeks prior after battling lung cancer, and Merlin was having difficulty finding a home due to a congenital defect. No one seemed to want this adorable little puppy who would need surgery. Well, they missed out. He had his surgery last week and is doing fabulous!

What does your pet like to do for fun?
Playing with the cat, playing with me, chewing on raw carrots, and going for long walks.

He's super smart, he knows basic commands in both English and Korean. He's figured out how to escape the baby gates meant to keep him corralled.

He's such a loving and friendly soul, we've decided to train together to become a pet therapy team in our community. They recently built a children's hospital here, with a dedicated children's cancer treatment wing and program. I think Merlin would be fantastic as a therapy dog visiting those kids.

Comment Like this photo? 8

Ahhh, my heart has softened reading your story. Your adorable pup looks a lot like our male cocker spaniel who passed away this year. What a wonderful idea to bestow upon a child who receives visits in a hospital from a furry friend. Your generosity is very heartfelt.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Closeup of Max lying with owner.

Maxis a 2 year old Cocker Spaniel. Our little darling doggie was found wandering in a subdivision, had on a rabies tag, and they could not locate the people who had it. We think they simply moved away and left him

Makes me play fetch :-D

Chucci on dog bed.

Chucci is a 10 month old American Cocker Spaniel. We got him last July. He likes to hang out with me! Chucci loves our walks in the country every morning.

Tan and cream Cocker

Lily is an 18 month old American Cocker Spaniel. I saw puppies advertised on a community bulletin board. I went to see them and fell in love with her.

A light brown cocker spaniel on a bed.

Millie is an 8 year old Cocker Spaniel. I got Millie a year ago from a family that had 8 dogs, and some of them were picking on her and biting her. The family decided to find her a new home.

Cocker and calico cat.

Our dog's name is Bailey and the cat is Cleo. Our 4 month old Cocker Spaniel loves our 9 year old Calico cat.

Lily lying asleep on couch.

Lily Belle is 18 months old and an American Cocker Spaniel. I got my pet from a farmer, who had both the father and mother. She was being advertised on a community bulletin board.

Lying on floor.

Fantasia is a 3 year old Black and Tan Cocker Spaniel. She was a birthday gift from my kids. Fantasia loves to chase tennis balls. She will chase it until she drops but it has to be a tennis ball, no rubber, no plastic, no sponge. It HAS to be a tennis ball.

Dog lying on throw rug.

Lacey is seven and a half years old. Lacey is a small sable American Cocker Spaniel who I purchased from a local breeder who decided to get out of the business. I was waiting on Lacey to have another litter, so I could get one of her puppies.

Cocker wearing straw hat.

This is a picture of the newest member of our family. Her name is Star and she is a miniature Cocker Spaniel that we got from the pound last October. They said she is about 7 years old.

A black and white cocker spaniel in a field of green and yellow wildflowers.

Bentley is 4 years old. Technically he's a Cocker Spaniel, but he thinks human. Bentley came into my life in early 2006, as a puppy. I can't imagine a day without him now.

Millie Sitting on the Floor next to a Fan

Even our Millie gets hot in AZ! We moved from WA to AZ and even our dog Millie had a hard time getting used to the heat and needed the fan. Its now her favorite place to sit.

Reddish brown and white Cocker.

I adopted her from a Cocker Spaniel rescue shelter when she was one year old. She loves to run and to chase balls.

Buff Cocker on couch.

This is Izzie a one year old spoiled Cocker Spaniel. As you can see she is pretty much spoiled, and rules.

Chocolate Cocker

Angel 1 year old American Cocker Spaniel. We found Angel through a pet breeder in our area. My other two cocker spaniels died a year apart and we missed the companionship our dogs provided. I've learned so much about cocker spaniels and just had to have more.

Tan Cocker.

Lady is 4 years old and a American Cocker Spaniel. Her nickname is LadyBaby. I have a friend that knew these people that lived next door that had Lady. Lady wasn't being taken care very well at all. When I got Lady, her fur was all matted up.

Child sitting on couch brushing dog's hair.

Daisy is 8 months and a Cocker Spaniel. A friend had a litter of puppies and gave her to me when she was 6 weeks old. She loves to play fetch and try to lick the lotion off my hands!

Cocker with baby under Christmas tree.

Smokey is a Cockerspanel. My daughter got him her first Christmas from her grandmama. He likes to lay on your lap. He is very loving and protective of my baby girl. Her best friend.

Sleeping with head on stuffy.

Sparky Moss is a 15 year old Cocker Spaniel. We got him from the local ASPCA in April of 1999.

Closeup of chocolate Cocker.

Mocca is a 4 year old Chocolate Cocker Spaniel. He was a birthday gift from my children. Mocca loves to chase tennis balls! She will chase a tennis ball until she drops.

Black Cocker

Here is Seamus, our baby. A full bred Cocker Spaniel he is the joy of our lives. He is 4 months old today and quite in love with the camera. By Gardencraft

Cocker Spaniel.

Peanut is our year old American Cocker Spaniel. We bought him from a breeder in Albuquerque, NM when he was 8 weeks old. He likes to chase our newest addition-another Cocker (Female) named Sunnie. We call this photo his "Andy Dick" Hair!

Star by the Tree

Star is my 7 year old Miniature Cocker Spaniel. We adopted her last year just before Christmas from our local animal shelter. Star loves to cuddle up with you on the couch, she loves to run around the yard and chew her rawhide toys.

Black and white Cocker on carpet.

Guiness (Cocker Spaniel). Guiness is a 2 month old Cocker Spaniel. My daughter just got Guiness. He loves to play with my grand-daughter Rebecca.

Boy holding black and white Cocker.

Forest is a Cocker Spaniel and is 5 months old. He is an early Christmas gift from my parents.

Man in larger carrier with dog.

Halo is 10 weeks old and is a AKC American Cocker Spaniel. After our pet died of liver cancer, we bought another cocker spaniel to fill the void our dog left. Halo was 8 weeks old when we got him and was born on Sept. 6, 2007.

Black Cocker with scarf.

PJ is a 1 year old Cocker Spaniel. I got him at a pet store in Spring 2007. He likes to play with his brother.

Two Cocker Spaniels.

This is our boy Sammy. We adopted him at the pound a few weeks ago. He is a 5 1/2 year old cocker spaniel and we just had him neutered. He is very well behaved and very fun to have around. Here is a picture of him and our little miniature Cocker Spaniel I entered before named Star - they get along great!