Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cocker Spaniel Breed Information and Photos

An active, sturdy dog who are mostly sought after for companionship, but still retain keen hunting instincts. This guide contains cocker spaniel breed information and photos.

April 2, 2006 Flag
Breed Description: The American Cocker Spaniel is an active, friendly dog with a refined, rounded head, long, lobular ears and a sturdy compact body. Although mostly sought after for companionship, the Cocker Spaniel still retains the keen hunting instincts typically found in all spaniels.

Group: Sporting

Purpose of Breed: Hunting and flushing small game

Country of Origin: USA

Average Size: Averages 14-15 inches and 24-28 pounds

Color(s): Jet black, and other solid colors; may include tan markings; also parti-colored.

Coat Type: The Cocker Spaniel has a medium-length silky coat along the back and sides of its body, except for its ears, chest, abdomen and legs, which are covered with profuse amounts of long, silky, flat or wavy hair.

Grooming: The Cocker Spaniel's beautiful coat needs to be bathed and brushed frequently and taken to a professional grooming salon on a regular basis. This breed requires standard care for ears, pads and nails. Eyes should be cleaned regularly.

Exercise Needs: Although very adaptable to apartment living, the Cocker Spaniel enjoys fresh air and daily exercise and excels in active sports like agility competitions.

Temperament: This warm and friendly breed can become overly excited and requires lots of love and attention. Sensitive, loving and faithful, Cocker Spaniels make wonderful companions and are happiest when they feel like part of the family.

Common Ailments: Eye sensitivities

Life Expectancy: Averages 10-14 years Trivia: Rutherford B. Hayes owned a Cocker Spaniel named "Dot."

More Information: The American Cocker Spaniel Club, Inc. www.asc-cockerspaniel.org

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

THANKS FOR LISTING THE COCKER SPANIEL. WE HAVE ONE THAT IS A CHOCOLATE AND TAN. SHE IS VERY SPOILED AND I SWEAR SHE HAS BEEN REINCARNATED AND WAS A PERSON IN HER FORMER LIFE BECAUSE SHE SURE DOESN'T THINK SHE IS A DOG NOW

January 18, 2017 Flag

As a profound animal lover of all kinds, a lot of my pet experiences haven't always been the best. My greatest accomplishment was when I found the most well behaved, sociable, Cocker Spaniel puppy! I've had my dog, Beauty, for 4 yrs. Now. My 6 year old son is super over active and can be a lite rough with Beauty. I'm only mentioning one breed, but there are many sites that cover all breeds! Cocker Spaniels are the ultimate companion. Extremely smart and easy to train. Not to mention they are very tolerant of large families with small children. Just love them, feed them, and brush them everyday and your whole family will enjoy their affection in return!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

As a previous owner of a wonderful most loyal pet that i have ever had has a family member was a light sandy brown coker spaniel She was the most loving caring animal i knew she would hunt squirrels and she could even sing jingle bells a wonderful pet for the whole family

November 9, 2010 Flag

How big does a miniture Cocker Spaniel get? What kind of problems do they have? Are they hyper little dogs? What kind of activities do they like?

By Karen from Waldron, AR

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Deborah, Thank you! She is a very cute and sweet lil' dog and very loveable. I am still learning a lot about her. I have only had her for a year now I got her when she was 2 months old. She is a very spoiled lil' girl. Thank you for the info that help me out.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

April 9, 2013 Flag

Your Pet's Age
2 Years

Your Pet's Breed
American Cocker Spaniel

How and when did you get your pet?
She joined our family in May 2011.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
She loves to play fetch.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
Coco loves to eat fruits and is very fond of driving. :-) Check out her Facebook account.

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

Oh so cute! :)

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

October 9, 2015 Flag

Your Pet's Age
5 months

Your Pet's Breed
American Cocker Spaniel

How and when did you get your pet?
I received him from a breeder in August. My previous Cocker had passed away a few weeks prior after battling lung cancer, and Merlin was having difficulty finding a home due to a congenital defect. No one seemed to want this adorable little puppy who would need surgery. Well, they missed out. He had his surgery last week and is doing fabulous!

What does your pet like to do for fun?
Playing with the cat, playing with me, chewing on raw carrots, and going for long walks.

He's super smart, he knows basic commands in both English and Korean. He's figured out how to escape the baby gates meant to keep him corralled.

He's such a loving and friendly soul, we've decided to train together to become a pet therapy team in our community. They recently built a children's hospital here, with a dedicated children's cancer treatment wing and program. I think Merlin would be fantastic as a therapy dog visiting those kids.

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

Ahhh, my heart has softened reading your story. Your adorable pup looks a lot like our male cocker spaniel who passed away this year. What a wonderful idea to bestow upon a child who receives visits in a hospital from a furry friend. Your generosity is very heartfelt.

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

Closeup of Max lying with owner.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 7

Maxis a 2 year old Cocker Spaniel. Our little darling doggie was found wandering in a subdivision, had on a rabies tag, and they could not locate the people who had it. We think they simply moved away and left him

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 9

Makes me play fetch :-D

Chucci on dog bed.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 9

Chucci is a 10 month old American Cocker Spaniel. We got him last July. He likes to hang out with me! Chucci loves our walks in the country every morning.

Tan and cream Cocker

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 12

Lily is an 18 month old American Cocker Spaniel. I saw puppies advertised on a community bulletin board. I went to see them and fell in love with her.

A light brown cocker spaniel on a bed.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 6

Millie is an 8 year old Cocker Spaniel. I got Millie a year ago from a family that had 8 dogs, and some of them were picking on her and biting her. The family decided to find her a new home.

Cocker and calico cat.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 15

Our dog's name is Bailey and the cat is Cleo. Our 4 month old Cocker Spaniel loves our 9 year old Calico cat.

Lily lying asleep on couch.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 7

Lily Belle is 18 months old and an American Cocker Spaniel. I got my pet from a farmer, who had both the father and mother. She was being advertised on a community bulletin board.

Lying on floor.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 11

Fantasia is a 3 year old Black and Tan Cocker Spaniel. She was a birthday gift from my kids. Fantasia loves to chase tennis balls. She will chase it until she drops but it has to be a tennis ball, no rubber, no plastic, no sponge. It HAS to be a tennis ball.

Dog lying on throw rug.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 7

Lacey is seven and a half years old. Lacey is a small sable American Cocker Spaniel who I purchased from a local breeder who decided to get out of the business. I was waiting on Lacey to have another litter, so I could get one of her puppies.

Cocker wearing straw hat.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

This is a picture of the newest member of our family. Her name is Star and she is a miniature Cocker Spaniel that we got from the pound last October. They said she is about 7 years old.

A black and white cocker spaniel in a field of green and yellow wildflowers.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 12

Bentley is 4 years old. Technically he's a Cocker Spaniel, but he thinks human. Bentley came into my life in early 2006, as a puppy. I can't imagine a day without him now.

Millie Sitting on the Floor next to a Fan

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 5

Even our Millie gets hot in AZ! We moved from WA to AZ and even our dog Millie had a hard time getting used to the heat and needed the fan. Its now her favorite place to sit.

Reddish brown and white Cocker.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 1

I adopted her from a Cocker Spaniel rescue shelter when she was one year old. She loves to run and to chase balls.

Buff Cocker on couch.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 10

This is Izzie a one year old spoiled Cocker Spaniel. As you can see she is pretty much spoiled, and rules.

Chocolate Cocker

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 1

Angel 1 year old American Cocker Spaniel. We found Angel through a pet breeder in our area. My other two cocker spaniels died a year apart and we missed the companionship our dogs provided. I've learned so much about cocker spaniels and just had to have more.

Tan Cocker.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Lady is 4 years old and a American Cocker Spaniel. Her nickname is LadyBaby. I have a friend that knew these people that lived next door that had Lady. Lady wasn't being taken care very well at all. When I got Lady, her fur was all matted up.

Child sitting on couch brushing dog's hair.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

Daisy is 8 months and a Cocker Spaniel. A friend had a litter of puppies and gave her to me when she was 6 weeks old. She loves to play fetch and try to lick the lotion off my hands!

Load More
Pets Dogs Dog Breeds Cocker SpanielSeptember 12, 2013
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Breed Information and Photos
Buff Colored Cocker Spaniel Puppy
Name Ideas For a Buff Colored Cocker Spaniel
English Springer Spaniel
English Springer Spaniel Breed Information and Photos
Brittany Spaniel
Brittany Spaniel Breed Information and Photos
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 25, 2017 at 10:21:35 PM on 10.0.2.135 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.