Cooking Corn on the Cob in a Microwave

Corn on the cob can be prepared in a variety of ways. This is a guide about cooking corn on the cob in a microwave.

July 14, 2010 Flag

The very best way to cook corn is to leave the husk and silk as is (unless there is a wormy spot on the tip, if so cut away that part) and place three at a time in the microwave with a damp paper towel over the top. Microwave 3-5 minutes; until they are very hot all the way through. Let the corn cool enough to handle with a dishtowel, peel back the shuck, and the silk will come off easier than any other method of removal. Cut off shuck/stem and serve. I also like to remove the silk, pull the shuck back in place and grill. I have found the corn cooked using either method has a better flavor and you don't lose all the good nutrients and juice in a pot of water.

Source: Family method

By Lgoff15 from Fort Worth, TX

The best way to cook corn on the cob is in the top rack of your dishwasher. Of course, don't use any soap. Leave the corn in the husk and run the dishwasher, perfect!

I cook corn in the microwave, but I do it differently, take husk & silk off. Do not use any water for any of this. Then get a piece of wax paper that will wrap the ear at least 2-3x. Roll the ear in the wax paper, starting at the corner, the ear will roll unevenly, cause it is tapered, so start at one end. As you roll, fold in one end, then roll a half roll & fold in other end, then complete rolling & place in microwave with the end of wax paper on the bottom. Cook at 50% for about 2-3mins, let set for a few, then turn & cook the same again. For one ear, it takes, maybe, 6-8 minutes total. Make sure to let set a few minutes between cooking times, this gets the heat into the middle. If there is more ears, then of course u need to rotate the inside ones to the outside & cook longer. Water in any form or way, just steams the corn & corn is watery enough. No need to make it soggy at all or water down the flavor.

Don't unroll them till each person is ready to butter & eat. This keeps them really hot & moist. I've done it this way for 20yrs & it is amazing like this. When people eat it this way, they cannot believe the difference, just remember to cook in 2-3 minute increments, or 3-6 minutes if more than one ear, after letting it sit between cooking times, feel the ear each time. When it's hot enough to burn your fingers after it sets for a couple of minutes, it's done.

You don't have to de-silk it before grilling! Just soak in water for 30 min or so and grill! The silk just falls off when you shuck it! (Just like the microwave post says.)

My husband uses the grill or the microwave for his. I like mine 2 minutes in boiling water. The extra protein is always an issue for me, the whole ear would go if I found that when pulling back husks! When I get my corn for the freezer, I husk everything, toss it all into cold water coolers and then dump the water, fill again. The extra critters come swimming to the top. They don't like the straight garden hose cold water. I take in a batch at a time to the house to cut off raw before baking in the oven. I drain 24 ears till dry in the draining rack, have a batch to go waiting. Dry corn is faster in cutting without slips. I use the electric knife. Bake 24 ears cut off in a large roaster, 1 cup half and half, 1/2 lb butter/margarine. Little kosher salt (about 1 tsp) and toss some parsley in if you want. Bake covered 1 hr 350, stir at 30 min. Cool, bag up, lay them flat for easier storage. Stick in cake pan in freezer till almost frozen, reshape if necessary, then hard freeze. Remove cake pan and they stack nicely for months.

September 19, 2005 Flag

Now that sweet corn is in season, a frugal way to prepare it and save time and water is to make it in your microwave. Use a gallon size freezer bag and place the peeled and cleaned ears of corn inside. Six will fit easily.

July 23, 2013 Flag

You will never boil corn on the cob again. This is easy, and the tastiest, sweetest corn ever. You are not boiling all the flavor out of corn.

Microwave Corn on the Cob

Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsJuly 28, 2013
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Corn on the Cob with Lots of Butter
Buttering Corn On the Cob
Cooking bacon in microwave.
Cooking Bacon in the Microwave
Microwave
Microwave Cooking Tips
🎄