Browsing: Crafts Using Mason Jars

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Crafts Using Mason Jars

There are many ways to use and reuse these food storage containers. This guide contains crafts using Mason jars.

mason jar vase
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

October 14, 2011 Flag

Jack-O-Lanterns Glowing on White BackgroundUse a few old Mason jars to make some cute glowing jack-o-lanterns that you can use year after year. This is great project to do with the kids. They love to make funny and spooky faces on their jars. Plus they make awesome decorations on a table or in a window.

Approximate Time: 1 hour

Supplies for Jack-O-Lanterns

Instructions:

Cut the tissue paper into 1 inch strips. A little wider or thinner doesn't matter. We cut the tissue paper while it was folded. So the longs strips could each be cut down in thirds.

Cutting Strips of Orange Tissue Paper

Pour a little glue in your container and add some water into it. I did about a tablespoon of glue with a half cup of water and it was more then enough for this project.

Pouring Glue in Blue Cup

Mix the glue and water with the brush.

Using Paint Brush to Mix Glue and Water

Then, one at a time, lay the strips of orange tissue paper on the outside of the Mason jar and stick them down vertically with glue wash. Overlapping them a little will give your finished jar a more pumpkin like look.

Putting Orange Tissue Paper on Mason Jar

Turn the Mason jar upside down to dry. I used a mat with a couple paper towels on top to make sure no glue got on my table.

Upside Down Mason Jar With Orange Paper

Use the scissors or X-acto knife to cut out Jack-o-lantern faces or other Halloween designs.

Cut Out Black Paper in Jack-O-Lantern Face

Stick the faces to the side of the orange Mason jars how ever you like. I used my extra glue mixture, but a little dab of glue on the back of each piece of paper would stick them down just as well.

We put LED tea lights in ours so we can set them on our window sill and there is no fire hazard near the curtains. Votive candles would work very well in these also.

Jack-O-Lanterns Glowing at Night

Have fun and be creative!

By Jess from Hillsboro, OR

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 28, 2014 Flag

This cute homemade candy dispenser is a fun way to have jellybeans out for Easter!

taking candy from the dispenser

• plastic poultry feeder base
  • narrow mouth Mason jar
  • 2-3 bags of jellybeans (or other small candy)
supplies

1. Pour the jellybeans into the Mason jar. If you use 3 bags of candy, pour one bag into the dispenser first.
  2. adding jellybeans to mason jar
  3. Attach the feeder base to the Mason jar. Enjoy your candy!
  4. attaching feeder baseMason Jar Jellybean Dispenser

June 18, 2013 Flag

The children have been going around to all the local churches VBS programs. This is one of the cute crafts they brought home. Jars, little mason jars, with little splotches painted on them.

Fireflies in a Jar Craft

August 1, 2012 Flag

A cute way to have a small herb garden in your kitchen or just outside your front door.

August 9, 2011 Flag

"Chicken" and egg noodle pasta inside of a quart mason jarThis is too cute not to share. Someone, not me; I bought it, made this for themselves or someone who loves chickens. It's so simple. Take a Kerr or Mason jar, a mayonnaise jar would work too, nothing fancy needed, put in some egg noodles, a small stuffed chicken of your choice, and cap it! You can make a circular fabric topper to really "countrify" it.

I found this for $.25 and couldn't resist. You could also put in Easter eggs and a bunny, yarn and a kitten, shredded paper and a puppy, so you can make cool things for people who love animals. This was probably made in under 5 minutes, and probably for about $2.00, so keep this in mind come the holidays!

Oh! Oh! A witch and pumpkins, a scarecrow and corn, an angel and cottony clouds - wow, now I am all excited!

By Sandi A. from Salem, OR

April 20, 2006 Flag

Anyone have any creative ideas on how to use mason jars as centerpieces at my reception? They are blue perfect mason jars. I was thinking a bouquet with floralytes.

Jenny from Belle Plaine, MN

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I know I want to use the mason jars that I have. I am thinking about floating lights in them and setting them on some kinds of cloth with some decorations around them. My soon to be mother in-law makes oil candles out of them, she uses a photo of whatever you want then put burning oil and a wick in the lid and you have a photo oil candle!

I had the idea of using a terra cotta clay pot for my main centerpiece with mason jars with votive candles surrounding it. im trying to go for an english garden theme. How does this sound? and one have more i could add to it?

I had a French country/English garden themed wedding myself last June. I used the blue/aqua colored mason jars (hard to find sometimes - so the clear are pretty too). I used old watering cans filled with hydrangeas, calla lilies, peonies and ivory roses as the main centerpieces. I bought all different styles and different metals/material of old watering cans. Some were new so I had to "age" them and then I put the mason jars around the water cans with votives in them. White votives looked the best!

Also - for my ring bearer and flower girl, I did not buy a traditional basket and pillow. Instead I used an old grapevine basket and tied calla lilies to the side with ivory tulle and for the ring bearer pillow I used an actual small throw pillow with an ivory and chocolate brown damask print and tied the same ivory tulle around it. (very cute touch!)

As wedding favors I used mini terra cotta pots, tied with ivory tulle and planted different annual flowers in them with "thank you" tags and gave those to each guest. My bridesmaids wore very pretty/delicate sun dresses in different shades of ivory, chocolate brown and robins egg blue.

Congrats and Good Luck!

I used mason jars at my wedding with whatever flowers I could get my hands on. They were just the clear straight sided ones and I tied a copper ribbon on each one. I thought they were beautiful.

Read More Answers...

August 18, 2010 Flag

Does anyone have a craft that can be inserted in a mason jar?

By Charlotte

Hi what type of thing do you want?

If you decorate the lid with padding and fabric, you can use the jar as a container for buttons, or any other small things that can get lost.

They can be used for iced tea.

They can be used as small cannisters.

1: Put a pillar candle inside and layer decorative sand around it in a pretty design. 2: make a small silk flower arrangement attach it to the bottom, put the lid on and instant decoration 3: insert a model car, boat, etc. and turn it on it's side ala ship in a bottle. 4: with very thin fishing line attach a group of colorful cut out fish to the lid. Put the lid on with the fish hanging down. Put sand and seashells in the bottom and you have a waterless, carefree aquarium.

1) Stuff a small strand (50 or less) of twinkle lights in jar, add some potpourri, a lace doily top and plug in for an aromatic nightlight.

2) Decoupage with thinned white glue anything cut from wrapping paper or a pretty napkin( small pieces work best). You can tear tissue or napkins into random pieces and decorate all over jar. Set a tealight inside or a battery-operated one and it looks like stained glass.

3) Use several on a party table to hold cutlery.Put the "business end" down to prevent spreading of germs.

4) When my gallon of milk gets down to about 4 cups worth, I pour it into a jar. Takes up a lot less room. also I store leftover spaghetti sauce or sauerkraut in a jar.

5) If you live in a farming area, you might find a chicken feeder at the feed and seed store. Its a round pan that a jar screws onto and the chicks poke their beaks through little openings. This is good for a bird feeder or put some M&Ms or other small candy in for people.

Crafts MiscellaneousMay 7, 2013
Baking in Canning Jars
Baking in Canning Jars
Mason Jar Candy Dispenser
Making a Mason Jar Candy Dispenser
Pickle Jar Candy Jars
Reusing Pickle Jars
mason jar snack dispenser
Making a Mason Jar Snack Container
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 20, 2016 at 10:26:02 PM on 10.0.2.169 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.