Crafts Using Mason Jars

There are many ways to use and reuse these food storage containers. This guide contains crafts using Mason jars.

mason jar vase
Filter Sort

Mason Jar Jack-O-Lanterns

By Jess 89 37

Jack-O-Lanterns Glowing on White BackgroundUse a few old Mason jars to make some cute glowing jack-o-lanterns that you can use year after year. This is great project to do with the kids. They love to make funny and spooky faces on their jars. Plus they make awesome decorations on a table or in a window.

Approximate Time: 1 hour

• Mason or recycled glass jars
  • scissors
  • orange tissue paper
  • black construction paper
  • paint brush
  • Elmer's glue
  • small plastic cup or dish
  • X-acto Knife (optional)
Supplies for Jack-O-Lanterns

Instructions:

Cut the tissue paper into 1 inch strips. A little wider or thinner doesn't matter. We cut the tissue paper while it was folded. So the longs strips could each be cut down in thirds.

Cutting Strips of Orange Tissue Paper

Pour a little glue in your container and add some water into it. I did about a tablespoon of glue with a half cup of water and it was more then enough for this project.

Pouring Glue in Blue Cup

Mix the glue and water with the brush.

Using Paint Brush to Mix Glue and Water

Then, one at a time, lay the strips of orange tissue paper on the outside of the Mason jar and stick them down vertically with glue wash. Overlapping them a little will give your finished jar a more pumpkin like look.

Putting Orange Tissue Paper on Mason Jar

Turn the Mason jar upside down to dry. I used a mat with a couple paper towels on top to make sure no glue got on my table.

Upside Down Mason Jar With Orange Paper

Use the scissors or X-acto knife to cut out Jack-o-lantern faces or other Halloween designs.

Cut Out Black Paper in Jack-O-Lantern Face

Stick the faces to the side of the orange Mason jars how ever you like. I used my extra glue mixture, but a little dab of glue on the back of each piece of paper would stick them down just as well.

We put LED tea lights in ours so we can set them on our window sill and there is no fire hazard near the curtains. Votive candles would work very well in these also.

Jack-O-Lanterns Glowing at Night

Have fun and be creative!

By Jess from Hillsboro, OR

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Mason Jar Jellybean Dispenser

By lalala... 731 97

This cute homemade candy dispenser is a fun way to have jellybeans out for Easter!

taking candy from the dispenser

• plastic poultry feeder base
  • narrow mouth Mason jar
  • 2-3 bags of jellybeans (or other small candy)
supplies

1. Pour the jellybeans into the Mason jar. If you use 3 bags of candy, pour one bag into the dispenser first.
  2. adding jellybeans to mason jar
  3. Attach the feeder base to the Mason jar. Enjoy your candy!
  4. attaching feeder baseMason Jar Jellybean Dispenser

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Canning Jar Herb Garden

A cute way to have a small herb garden in your kitchen or just outside your front door.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Fireflies in a Jar

By Robyn 376 753

The children have been going around to all the local churches VBS programs. This is one of the cute crafts they brought home. Jars, little mason jars, with little splotches painted on them.

On Amazon.com, it says to make sure when you paint them to put on enough paint, like little blotches, so it will glow after being exposed to light.

They are so cute. Even if they didn't glow, the little jars are precious. When they are exposed to light, they glow when it gets dark. When I saw how cute they were I had to share this simple craft.

Fireflies in a Jar Craft

Source: Here is a link on Amazon.com for buying paint that glows in the dark.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Green-Glow-Dark-Paint

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Using Mason Jars as Centerpieces

By jenny 6

Anyone have any creative ideas on how to use mason jars as centerpieces at my reception? They are blue perfect mason jars. I was thinking a bouquet with floralytes.

Jenny from Belle Plaine, MN

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Jess 132 771 Flag

I used mason jars at my wedding with whatever flowers I could get my hands on. They were just the clear straight sided ones and I tied a copper ribbon on each one. I thought they were beautiful.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Craft: Chicken in a Jar

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 466 2,132

"Chicken" and egg noodle pasta inside of a quart mason jarThis is too cute not to share. Someone, not me; I bought it, made this for themselves or someone who loves chickens. It's so simple. Take a Kerr or Mason jar, a mayonnaise jar would work too, nothing fancy needed, put in some egg noodles, a small stuffed chicken of your choice, and cap it! You can make a circular fabric topper to really "countrify" it.

I found this for $.25 and couldn't resist. You could also put in Easter eggs and a bunny, yarn and a kitten, shredded paper and a puppy, so you can make cool things for people who love animals. This was probably made in under 5 minutes, and probably for about $2.00, so keep this in mind come the holidays!

Oh! Oh! A witch and pumpkins, a scarecrow and corn, an angel and cottony clouds - wow, now I am all excited!

By Sandi A. from Salem, OR

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Mason Jar Craft Ideas

By charlotte 2 1

Does anyone have a craft that can be inserted in a mason jar?

By Charlotte

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By kraftykaren 10 6 Flag

1) Stuff a small strand (50 or less) of twinkle lights in jar, add some potpourri, a lace doily top and plug in for an aromatic nightlight.

2) Decoupage with thinned white glue anything cut from wrapping paper or a pretty napkin( small pieces work best). You can tear tissue or napkins into random pieces and decorate all over jar. Set a tealight inside or a battery-operated one and it looks like stained glass.

3) Use several on a party table to hold cutlery.Put the "business end" down to prevent spreading of germs.

4) When my gallon of milk gets down to about 4 cups worth, I pour it into a jar. Takes up a lot less room. also I store leftover spaghetti sauce or sauerkraut in a jar.

5) If you live in a farming area, you might find a chicken feeder at the feed and seed store. Its a round pan that a jar screws onto and the chicks poke their beaks through little openings. This is good for a bird feeder or put some M&Ms or other small candy in for people.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Crafts MiscellaneousMay 7, 2013
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Baking in Canning Jars
    Baking in Canning Jars
    Mason Jar Candy Dispenser
    Making a Mason Jar Candy Dispenser
    Pickle Jar Candy Jars
    Reusing Pickle Jars
    mason jar snack dispenser
    Making a Mason Jar Snack Container
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 6, 2016 at 12:19:33 PM on 10.0.2.133 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings