Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start

I need to know what to check to see why my Craftsman riding lawn mower won't run. We have checked the battery, the starter, and the plugs. It does have a little fire, but it will not turn over. With the summer months I need that mower. Please tell me what to do. I cannot afford a new one.

By Chuckwms from Lexington, NC

Answers:

Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start

I know that the choke broke on mine, making it hard to start. I now loop a thread on the little arm that moves to engage the choke, hit the starter, and she comes right to life. Then I let go of one end of the thread and wind it up for the next time! If you don't know where the choke lever is, your manual should have it on the schematic.
(06/08/2009)

By Jilson

Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start

Hi Chuckwms from Lexington, NC,

Are you saying that when you go to start it it seems like it has juice but when you turn the key you get nothing?
Did you check the safety switch for the seat? Or the continuity of that switch to the starter? Also, is there a safety switch on your clutch pedal? If those aren't working she won't run. At least that would probably be the easiest places to start.

If you're not sure what I'm talking about try this; lift the seat and look for two wires with a small plug/clip going into what looks like a push button device. If you carefully unplug the clip and use a small piece of wire to "jump" the connection (secure one end of the wire in one hole in the clip and the other end in the other hole). Then you can try starting it again. But be careful, because she won't quit running just by you getting off the seat. You'll need to use the key for that. Try it & let us know how you make out. (06/10/2009)

By purpledama

Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start

Hi This is Bryan, from Bryan's Small Engine Repair. It could be your key switch or the solenoid. If you have a full battery I would try the solenoid first. (06/12/2009)

By bryan36

Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start
Riding Mower
Repairing a MTD Riding Mower
Man Fixing Mower
Mower Won't Start
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Craftsman Riding Mower
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start
🎉
🎄