Dog Peeing Inside When Lying Down

It can be alarming and frustrating when a trained dog begins to have accidents in the house. You will need to determine if it warrants a trip to the vet or other action. This is a guide about dog peeing inside when lying down.

July 29, 2016 Flag

I have a 7 year old Lab/Great Dane/Heeler, and I keep noticing that she keeps peeing while she is either sleeping or just lying down. She is a very well trained dog. She did have a UTI earlier this year, and we got the medicine for her. So we don't know what is going on. I mean when we let her out she pees a lot and then like 30 minutes later she can be laying on the floor and when she gets up, there is a huge puddle. I was reading some posts and some say diabetes, but I know she is healthy.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please take your poor suffering dog to her vet now as she has a problem that needs immediate medical help. Her urine retention problem can result from diabetes as well as many other conditions. Delaying medical treatment now will only make the problem worse and cost more.

February 27, 2016 Flag

I have a five year old Lab who is properly house trained. She has been drinking a lot of water the last couple of months and has also started piddling in her bed when she is lying down. She gets up sniffs her bed then goes upstairs. We have had her to the vet who says there is nothing wrong with her and try and ignore it, but she looks so upset. Can anyone give us some advice?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Did vet do labs and check her blood sugar? Sounds like perhaps she has diabetes. I'm no doc, but just guessing. Make sure the vet did blood sugar tests.

Take her to a different vet.

Drinking a lot of water and uncontrolled peeing is the first sign of diabetes. I think your vet missed something.

September 14, 2013 Flag

My dog is 6 years old, part Collie and German Shepherd. She goes outside to pee, comes back in and lays down on the floor and when she get up the floor is wet. She is drinking a lot of water.

By KP

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Two possible reasons: one is a urinary tract infection. I had a female that would go on the bed. I took a urine sample and had the vets test it. I was correct. 2nd, if he is drinking a lot of water, it could be diabetes. Either way, a trip to the vet is in order. Hope all goes well for both of you.

Please take this beautiful girl to your Veterinarian she needs professional help. This is not something you can cure with "home remedies" most Vets have 'home visits". Good luck.

As mentioned, an urinary tract infection is a possibility. Another is the dog may be diabetic; thus, the increased thirst. See a vet.

January 19, 2015 Flag

I have a Pit Bull/Staff cross. She is around 10-15 years old, I'm not sure since I rescued her 5 years ago, but the vet says she's an old lady. Today I saw she wet her bed, but she did sit to do it, she was just lying and wet the bed, without even realising it. Can this be kidney/bladder problems? I'm gonna get a urine sample and take it to the vet as soon as possible.

By Sue F

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There are many possible reasons for your dog wetting her bed and, especially considerng her age, seeking vet care immediately is the best plan. Regarding the urine sample; are you following the required urine sample protocol for the test? If not, the vet may request to bring your dog in for testing. See below:

Obtaining a urine sample

There are several different ways to obtain a urine sample from a pet. The most common way to catch a sample in a larger pet, such as a dog, is to use a clean, dry container, such as an aluminum pie pan, plastic dish, etc. A litter box can be washed, rinsed well to eliminate all traces of detergent or disinfectant, and allowed to dry. Then use special litter available from your veterinarian, or clean styrofoam packing peanuts instead of regular litter. After the pet has urinated, the styrofoam is removed and the sample is poured into a clean container.

To minimize changes in the urine, always collect the urine sample in a clean, dry container, and take it to your veterinarian's office immediately. If there will be a wait, refrigerate the sample. If the temperature is warm, consider placing the urine in a cooler during transportation. DO NOT freeze a urine sample.

If a sterile sample is needed, your veterinarian may recommend that you bring your animal to the veterinary clinic for a procedure called "cystocentesis," in which a small needle is placed directly into the bladder through the body wall. This procedure does not take very long, and should provide a sample that has not been contaminated by debris or bacteria from outside the bladder. Your veterinarian may also use a urinary catheter to obtain a urine sample.

http://www.pete  116&aid=3136

This could be incontinence. Sometimes old dogs lose control of their bladder. It's good that you're ruling out kidney problems, though.

My sister had the same thing happening with her elderly poodle. She took her to the vet and found it is incontinence. The dog is now on a medication and is doing much better.

May 28, 2012 Flag

Our 7yr old female Doberman is having peeing accidents inside, while on the sofa or in our bed. She is laying down when this occurs and we only find out about it when we see wet spots. Now we know to check if we see her licking herself a lot. What is the problem?

By Linda

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is clearly a question for a Vet. Your dog is having some serious physical difficulty. Dont wait to find out what it is, she may be in pain and whatever is causing the problem may be getting worse.

Pets Dogs AdviceSeptember 26, 2013
Hot Tea
Cooling Down Hot Drinks
Dog Standing on Carpet
Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 18, 2017 at 10:17:43 AM on 10.0.1.190 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.