Dog Peeing in Its Own Bed

There are a number of reasons your pet may be wetting his or her bed. This is a guide about dog peeing in its own bed.

A Chihuahua laying in its bed.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have a 9 year Doberman female. She is fully trained. She has just recently started refusing to sleep in her bed because of something she smells. When we check her bed it is damp like she may have wet it, but it has no smell. She never actually squats and pees on it so I'm not sure what's happening. It's only on her bed. She sleeps all day on my son's bed and it never happens.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Lizzyanny I agree.

Read More Answers...

I have an American Bulldog female who is 4 and a half years old. She is fully house trained. I rescued her from cruelty. I have had her nearly 1 year now and she suddenly started to pee on her bed and stopped moaning to go out when my family and I are in the house with the dog in front of us. She has never done this before and always moaned to go out to the toilet before.
    As I said I rescued her from cruelty because her old owner left her in the garden 24/7 and starved her and used her for a punching bag. Since I got her she has learned loads of tricks, like sit and paw and walking off the lead.
    Please can someone help me with the peeing as when she goes it stinks my whole living room out.
    Thanks very much.

brown and white Bulldog
      AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

She may have a bladder infection. Have your vet check her out.

I have a 8 year old Pit Bull. She has never had a peepee problem before, but now she keeps wetting her own beds (3 of them in different parts of the house). She has a doggie door and can go out anytime she wants. She even does it while we're home. We had a 2 lb. Chihuahua that was the queen bee, who passed away 2 months ago. Could this be affecting Isabella, and why so long after Mia's passing? What can I do for her?

By Terryann

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Best Answer

If the two dogs were close that well could be the problem...but first be sure to take you dog to your vet to get her checked out for possible medical problems. If you dog gets an all clear from the vet, then there are things you can do to help your pet past her grieving.

Read More Answers...

White dog.My Shih-Tzu has always peed in my other dog's bed. She also pees on my daughter's dog's bed and her own bed, and then sleeps on it. I have not ever caught her and now she's 7 yrs old

At night or when I'm not home, I do not let her roam anymore. She gets blocked in the bathroom with a baby gate, with food and water (which she never touches at night, but it makes me feel better that it's there if she wanted it ). I have a big towel folded on the floor then her dog bed on that and another towel on the bed. Every single night she pees on everything and then sleeps on it. I have even given her nothing to sleep on, and she doesn't pee at night, but will pee on my other dog's bed sometime throughout the day, as soon as she gets an opportunity.

She has peed on my bed in the past, now I keep my door shut so she can't go in there. I'm just so tired of my place smelling like dog urine *Sigh*

By Cynthia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a french bulldog that does exactly the same. I'm his 3rd owner and he has abandonment issues, as well as abuse history. He won't pee if he sleeps with me but if he is alone he will pee on anything he lays on to sleep.

Read More Answers...

Large brown mixed breed dog on patio.My dog "Hoss" has started peeing where he is sleeping in the house at night recently. He has never done this before. He is only 7 years old, a German Shepherd/Lab mix. He's a big boy, about 140 pounds and is having a little difficulty getting up in the mornings. Maybe he has a UTI or needs Proin? I can't even imagine him being "put down" or even sleeping outside; he's one of my best friends. He also really stinks, maybe it's from his peeing on himself?

By Ray M from Wrightwood, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Best Answer

Have your vet test his urine for a urinary tract infection, like you mentioned in your post. That is a likely source of the smelly urine. My senior doxie gets them occasionally and I can tell when it's time for a urine test by her smelly urine. Ick. Easy to treat with pills. Good luck with Hoss! He looks like a sweet boy.

Read More Answers...

My French Bulldog came from a pet store and we are the 3rd owner. He is 2 years old and seems to enjoy sleeping in his urine. He will pee on any bedding we give him, he also destroyed our couch with urine and has peed on my pillow recently. Now he is crated at night, but he goes on his blankets and sleeps on it so he is always smelly in the morning. He asks to go potty and we let him out right away, and before bed of course, so it seems he just does it because he likes sleeping on it. I going crazy cause I am tired of washing peed on blankets every single day, his bedroom stinks in the morning and I feel bad to not give him blankets because he really likes to be cozy.

By Isadora

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Our beagle has the same issue, we have gone through more dog beds and blankets then I can count. We have had tests done by his vet thinking it was a medical issue but no he is perfectly healthy just likes to mark any bedding he sleeps on. I'm so tired of this issue he constantly reeks, he has to sleep in a large crate with no bedding it's the only method the vet suggested will work.

After doing this for over a year we thought maybe he was cured of the issue. No such luck! He will go a few days pee free and then it's back to hosing his blanket down with piss! He is now 6 nothing has worked, only thing we can do is crate him at night and no house privileges when we aren't around to watch him. Will pee anywhere he lays. With some dogs it's just a territorial issue.

Read More Answers...

My dog wets herself all the time day or night asleep or awake. She is always drinking water. It's driving me mad. I'm changing her bed 2 to 3 times a day. She's 4 years old. I love her dearly, but feel I just can not keep her if this continues. I need help.

By Lorraine from London

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have your dog checked for diabetes.

Read More Answers...

I am 8wks pregnant and my dog has never had a peeing problem on her bed no matter how long she was in her crate. But now she is peeing on her bed. It does not have a urine smell though. Could she be excessively licking her bed or do you think she is peeing her bed because she knows I am pregnant?

By Jessica T. from Carrollton, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you noticed how much your dog is drinking? The dog could have developed diabetes. Take the dog to the vet to rule this out.

Read More Answers...

My family adopted a female Dachshund who was abused in her earlier years. Now that she has turned 14 she has started peeing her bed several times a day. She goes out twice in the morning. And when we're home from work, she has peed in the garage several times, but yet still wets her bed. Is it because that's where she feels safe?

By Jenna C.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My sister's older dog started doing this. She took her to the vet and found out she has diabetes. I would take your dog to a vet.

Read More Answers...

Bull Dog on bed.I have two British Bulldogs and my eldest, who is now 11, started peeing on her bed when we got the younger one. Initially I thought it was a dominance thing, however, it's been 5 years now and there's no sign of improvement. Instead now she doesn't care if she lays in it.

We let them out regularly and for longer last thing at night and even take the water away after 6:30/7. I have even tried not washing the bed just drying it out, but it made no difference. She does not do it during the day though it's only at night. Any advice welcome :)

Thank you.

By Carina

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What does your vet say about it? My 12 year old dog started doing that and I couldn't understand why until one day while petting her I discovered a large lump in her abdomen. Turned out to be a baseball size cancer tumor.

Read More Answers...

I have a Pit Bull I adopted several months ago. She is 3 years old and has never had a problem with urinating in the house. But recently I bought her a new cage - twice the size as the old one, which she sleeps in at night, and she used to sleep on old blanket. I bought her a new memory foam bed to put in there just a few days ago. So far she has peed on it twice, and both were right after taking a walk outside. Again, she has never had an issue with this before.

By Joni from NYC, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Aubergine is right. Dogs don't necessarily prefer plush beds. They like the feeling of having something solid under them. An old blanket is fine.

Don't use too large a cage or kennel. Is it a wire cage? If so, you might want to drape a throw over it to make it seem more enclosed. A dog wants a "den" that they feel another animal wouldn't be able to easily get into. That means a relatively close one.

Dog with flower in his hair.My 3 year old Lhassa Apso has just started to pee where he is sleeping or sitting and he doesn't move. He has never done this before and always has access to go out or comes to get me. His food has not changed, he is drinking a lot. He just stays in it after; he carries on sleeping. Any ideas?

By Dolly B from Ireland

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You should have your dog checked for kidney problems or possibly diabetes. Both of them have the symptoms you describes. Both can be easily managed.

Read More Answers...

I have a Doberman who is 3 years old and he has recently started to wet the bed at night time, but it's not every night. We make him go outside to try and have a wee before bed, but this doesn't make a difference. The other night he woke at 5:00 am wanting to go for a wee which he pretty much has never done before. Could you give me some advice as to what it could be as the vet isn't very helpful?

By Victoria B

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've had several Dobies & the males are prone to kidney problems at that age. Get him to a good vet ASAP to check his kidney function! I had to put down my Dobie for Kidney Failure because it wasn't caught in time. Best wishes!

I have an 11 year old Maltese. She pees on her own bed when we are away even if she has a peeing pad out. She also takes her food out of her dish and brings it to her bed to eat it. What can I do?

By SC from FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have your dog checked for diabetes? It can cause excessive thirst and hunger. It is easy to live with when you get the hang of it. Your Vet can tell you how to deal with it.

I got my English Bulldog at 13 weeks old. He was from a pet store. We weren't even looking to get a dog just went to see the puppies that day, but we fell in love:) Now the store had him since he was 8 weeks so for the 5 weeks he ate, slept, peed, and pooped in a 2 x 4 ft. cage.

Now he can barely turn around in his crate, yet still pees and sleeps like a baby! Thank God he doesn't poop anymore, but it's only been 2 weeks since the last incident. Is this a comfort thing? His bed that I keep outside the crate he loves yet will pop a squat and lay right down for a nap! Is this a comfort thing? Is it too late to reprogram this behavior? My kids and I want him out of the kitchen prison and in the family area so we can enjoy having a dog!

By Vivi

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am having this problem. I watch an English bulldog, 6 months old. I take her out to pee. Soon after we come indoors, before she lays down on a floor bed, she will circle or preparing to lay in her bed, squat quickly and pee, then get comfortable to sleep next to the pee. Her owners say she doesn't do this with them, but I am wondering if they aren't catching her. Why would she do this, it's gross? I don't condone it, I watch her and get her to stop midstream, but other times, she'll be too quick and It's too late. It's embarrassing for me with her owners, because I feel she does this because she is trying to be defiant with me.

I play with her alot, my hands and clothes smell so I know she's peeing in house when not under my care, she doesn't like when I do dig into her mouth when she picks up stuff and I always correct her when she tries to go into garbage, she will get snippy with me, like letting me know that she didn't like that I am stopping bad behavior but I keep at it, saying no and push her away. But the peeing, I can't seem to stop that. I got to get her to stop peeing on her beds before napping. What If she doesn't outgrow this? I have to remove beds off floor when I watch her. Please anyone, who has an answer, please respond.

Read More Answers...

My three year old Shepherd started wetting the bed while she sleeps. It just started a few days ago, a day after I took her for a bath at a local dog groomers. Do you think she could have gotten a uti from there?

By Susan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hello,

Please go to your Veterinarian for an exam. Peeing in her sleep is not normal and she needs to be checked.

I have a 2 yr old English Bulldog who has slept in a cage since we have had her from a puppy. She is house trained but has always wet her bed during the night. She likes sleeping in her cage as we have tried other options, but nothing seems to work. Can you help?

AnswerMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Load More
      Pets Dogs AdviceAugust 20, 2013
      Dog Standing on Carpet
      Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
      A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
      Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
      guilty dog
      Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
      package with a featherbed topper
      Using A Featherbed Topper
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 28, 2016 at 2:04:41 AM on 10.0.0.66 in 653 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.