Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Dog Peeing in Its Own Bed

There are a number of reasons your pet may be wetting his or her bed. This is a guide about dog peeing in its own bed.

December 30, 2016 Flag

Our dog Jake, who is 11, recently started to pee in his bed when we are gone. He even does it now when only one person is home and in the shower. His blood work came back good from the vet. He can make it all night without peeing when we go to sleep. What can we do to correct this?

Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

it might be anxiety

Older dogs have weaker bladders, and sometimes cannot even "feel" when it's happening. Perhaps his joints prohibit him from trying to get outside to do his business. Talk to your vet'

November 15, 2016 Flag

I have a 12 year old female Pit. I go to work every day from 6:00 AM 5:00 PM when I get home. I leave her in the house by herself and she does great. When I get home I feed her, give her water, and take her potty. And she does great. When I bring her back in the house, half an hour later she lays down on her bed and pees on her bed. How can I stop her doing that and why she is doing it when she doesn't do that the whole time I am out to work? Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you for your feed back.

Why is my 7yr old dog peeing in her bed

October 4, 2013 Flag

My Shih-Tzu has always peed in my other dog's bed. She also pees on my daughter's dog's bed and her own bed, and then sleeps on it. I have not ever caught her and now she's 7 yrs old

At night or when I'm not home, I do not let her roam anymore. She gets blocked in the bathroom with a baby gate, with food and water (which she never touches at night, but it makes me feel better that it's there if she wanted it ). I have a big towel folded on the floor then her dog bed on that and another towel on the bed. Every single night she pees on everything and then sleeps on it. I have even given her nothing to sleep on, and she doesn't pee at night, but will pee on my other dog's bed sometime throughout the day, as soon as she gets an opportunity.

She has peed on my bed in the past, now I keep my door shut so she can't go in there. I'm just so tired of my place smelling like dog urine *Sigh*

By Cynthia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The incontinence pads are a great idea. I have a cat that does this. The vet said it was stress related and put him on a mild tranquilizer. The problem seems to have been fixed. No peeing on everything for over a year now!

I have a french bulldog that does exactly the same. I'm his 3rd owner and he has abandonment issues, as well as abuse history. He won't pee if he sleeps with me but if he is alone he will pee on anything he lays on to sleep.

July 16, 2011 Flag

I have a 8 year old Pit Bull. She has never had a peepee problem before, but now she keeps wetting her own beds (3 of them in different parts of the house). She has a doggie door and can go out anytime she wants. She even does it while we're home. We had a 2 lb. Chihuahua that was the queen bee, who passed away 2 months ago. Could this be affecting Isabella, and why so long after Mia's passing? What can I do for her?

By Terryann

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

If the two dogs were close that well could be the problem...but first be sure to take you dog to your vet to get her checked out for possible medical problems. If you dog gets an all clear from the vet, then there are things you can do to help your pet past her grieving.

My dog is 15 and I'm a truck she has gotten where she pees in her bed . Take her outside and comes inside and pees . My truck is really smelly bad I put cleaner on it but nothing helps . I hate to put her down but I don't know what else to do . Any suggestions would be helpful

July 15, 2011 Flag

My dog "Hoss" has started peeing where he is sleeping in the house at night recently. He has never done this before. He is only 7 years old, a German Shepherd/Lab mix. He's a big boy, about 140 pounds and is having a little difficulty getting up in the mornings. Maybe he has a UTI or needs Proin? I can't even imagine him being "put down" or even sleeping outside; he's one of my best friends. He also really stinks, maybe it's from his peeing on himself?

By Ray M from Wrightwood, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Have your vet test his urine for a urinary tract infection, like you mentioned in your post. That is a likely source of the smelly urine. My senior doxie gets them occasionally and I can tell when it's time for a urine test by her smelly urine. Ick. Easy to treat with pills. Good luck with Hoss! He looks like a sweet boy.

Strange you say change in food habit because I too have just changed my dogs food intake for weight control and she is about 12-13 yrs old. She just started peeing on her own bed and sleeping in it too.

February 17, 2016 Flag

I have a 9 year Doberman female. She is fully trained. She has just recently started refusing to sleep in her bed because of something she smells. When we check her bed it is damp like she may have wet it, but it has no smell. She never actually squats and pees on it so I'm not sure what's happening. It's only on her bed. She sleeps all day on my son's bed and it never happens.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

She may be having bladder and kidney problems at her age. You really need to see a Vet. Another possibility is diabetes (easy to treat). Good luck.

Lizzyanny I agree.

September 30, 2016 Flag

My 4yr old male Cocker has started going to the toilet in his bed at night. He can't be trusted to roam free in a room for the same reason so we have him in a soft crate while his brother can be trusted so roams free (laundry). Lately he has started going to the toilet (pee and poop) every night.

We've tried taking them out before we go to bed (they come in about 7pm and I go to sleep about 10pm), but this hasn't helped. We've tried punishment - putting him in the garage overnight - no success. His diet hasn't changed. Our hours of being away from the house haven't changed - nothing has changed that we can think of. We don't mind if they go in the house when they are unwell, but this seems to be willful behaviour. They are usually in the house between 7pm and about 6:30am. Please help!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Dogs dont understand punishment minutes after an incident. When a dog is doing something you dont want him to do, it needs to be corrected the moment he is doing it, otherwise he will not understand. Hes wondering why you put him in the garage.

December 29, 2014 Flag

My dog wets herself all the time day or night asleep or awake. She is always drinking water. It's driving me mad. I'm changing her bed 2 to 3 times a day. She's 4 years old. I love her dearly, but feel I just can not keep her if this continues. I need help.

By Lorraine from London

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have your dog checked for diabetes.

My dog has the same issue

June 20, 2016 Flag

I have a Fox Terrier, her name is Belle and she is two years old. She has this habit of often peeing on her bed. She is also shedding a lot. I have tried everything, but can't find any solution. And as for her shedding problems, the vet told me that it's normal for her to shed like this. Her potty training is finished, but as soon as I replace her bed sheets, she has to pee on it. Because of this I had to put her outside. I built her a nice little house of course! Her bed sheets and bed don't last a month. Please can someone help, because I really love my little girl.
Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I assume you have a smooth fox terrier. They do shed more than wire hairs, but no dog should shed constantly. Try adding omega 3 oils to the diet or buying the high omega 3 food. Regular grooming with a brush like slicker brush might reduce it.

Fox terriers are active dogs. They require a lot of exercise, more than most dogs. The peeing might be related to this, if built up frustration is an issue. Walk your terrier a total of an hour per day. She will probably also require playtime daily.

How was she house trained? Is she crate trained? Did she ever train to pee pads? You may have to re-train and do crate training. Don't use pee pads at all.

October 21, 2013 Flag

I have two British Bulldogs and my eldest, who is now 11, started peeing on her bed when we got the younger one. Initially I thought it was a dominance thing, however, it's been 5 years now and there's no sign of improvement. Instead now she doesn't care if she lays in it.

We let them out regularly and for longer last thing at night and even take the water away after 6:30/7. I have even tried not washing the bed just drying it out, but it made no difference. She does not do it during the day though it's only at night. Any advice welcome :)

Thank you.

By Carina

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a common occurrence in dogs who have diabetes. Especially if she drinks a lot. Do have her checked. Diabetes in dogs is easy to control.

What does your vet say about it? My 12 year old dog started doing that and I couldn't understand why until one day while petting her I discovered a large lump in her abdomen. Turned out to be a baseball size cancer tumor.

June 15, 2016 Flag

I have recently adopted a 5 month old Staghound x Lab puppy. He is very nervy and is not house trained, but he seems to wee wherever he feels most comfortable. This is in places like under the table or on his own bed! I will take him out for walks and then we come home and he pees straight away, but it's always inside! At night though he only pees on his bed, not anywhere else. I don't know how to make him stop without making him not like his bed!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The dog probably just needs to be house trained properly.

Here are some links for housetraining:

http://healthyp  -of-any-age.aspx

http://thehouse  -crate-training/

Books and videos are also available on the subject.

June 2, 2016 Flag

I am having a problem with my 8 year old mini Yorkie urinating for the first time on my and my boyfriend's bed. We first thought it was our sausage dog. Then tonight he came through with me to the kitchen to get something and walked straight passed his potty pad onto his bed and urinated and walked back through to the kitchen.

The other dog and his bed wasn't there, but I wasn't even putting him in there. He has never done this before, but they both had been in trouble for urinating on the bed. We have been building for a long time so I don't know if it's because of that stress?

Please help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Stress can cause this. Try keeping the bedroom door closed for a while. Construction is very stressful to pets.

December 27, 2014 Flag

My French Bulldog came from a pet store and we are the 3rd owner. He is 2 years old and seems to enjoy sleeping in his urine. He will pee on any bedding we give him, he also destroyed our couch with urine and has peed on my pillow recently. Now he is crated at night, but he goes on his blankets and sleeps on it so he is always smelly in the morning. He asks to go potty and we let him out right away, and before bed of course, so it seems he just does it because he likes sleeping on it. I going crazy cause I am tired of washing peed on blankets every single day, his bedroom stinks in the morning and I feel bad to not give him blankets because he really likes to be cozy.

By Isadora

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Lauren, that is what vets are for. They can actually examine the animal and know the right questions to ask. Chances are they have seen many similar cases, and can recommend a dog trainer or behaviorist if one is required.

Or you can take the advice from someone on the internet who has never seen your dog, but if it doesn't work you'll end up having to take it to the vet anyway.

Nobody ever said you could get a dog, a collar and a leash and as long as you feed it there will never be any other expenses associated with it. Why do people think this is true?

Omg! I have a pug that does the same thing! (and yes, he's been to the vet, no health reasons for it) He's 8 yrs old and been doing this from infancy. And I mean in his bed, not on the outside. I finally got smart and started putting his bed inside a huge ziplock bag then put this in a pillow case. He doesn't like it much, but he doesnt do the laundry!

March 9, 2016 Flag

I have an American Bulldog female who is 4 and a half years old. She is fully house trained. I rescued her from cruelty. I have had her nearly 1 year now and she suddenly started to pee on her bed and stopped moaning to go out when my family and I are in the house with the dog in front of us. She has never done this before and always moaned to go out to the toilet before.

As I said I rescued her from cruelty because her old owner left her in the garden 24/7 and starved her and used her for a punching bag. Since I got her she has learned loads of tricks, like sit and paw and walking off the lead.
Please can someone help me with the peeing as when she goes it stinks my whole living room out.
Thanks very much.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

She may have a bladder infection. Have your vet check her out.

March 9, 2014 Flag

My family adopted a female Dachshund who was abused in her earlier years. Now that she has turned 14 she has started peeing her bed several times a day. She goes out twice in the morning. And when we're home from work, she has peed in the garage several times, but yet still wets her bed. Is it because that's where she feels safe?

By Jenna C.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your dog is at that age when diabetes appears. Owners usually notice the frequent urination. You will need to have her checked out by a Vet. Diabetes is not too hard to manage in dogs.

Please contact your veterinarian this has nothing to do with her feeling safe.

March 7, 2015 Flag

I am 8wks pregnant and my dog has never had a peeing problem on her bed no matter how long she was in her crate. But now she is peeing on her bed. It does not have a urine smell though. Could she be excessively licking her bed or do you think she is peeing her bed because she knows I am pregnant?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Pets Dogs AdviceAugust 20, 2013
Dog Standing on Carpet
Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
package with a featherbed topper
Using A Featherbed Topper
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 20, 2017 at 9:44:54 AM on 10.0.2.234 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.