Dog Peeing in Its Own Bed

A Chihuahua laying in its bed.
There are a number of reasons your pet may be wetting his or her bed. This is a guide about dog peeing in its own bed.

I have a 8 year old Pit Bull. She has never had a peepee problem before, but now she keeps wetting her own beds (3 of them in different parts of the house). She has a doggie door and can go out anytime she wants. She even does it while we're home. We had a 2 lb. Chihuahua that was the queen bee, who passed away 2 months ago. Could this be affecting Isabella, and why so long after Mia's passing? What can I do for her?

By Terryann

Best Answer

If the two dogs were close that well could be the problem...but first be sure to take you dog to your vet to get her checked out for possible medical problems. If you dog gets an all clear from the vet, then there are things you can do to help your pet past her grieving.

My dog "Hoss" has started peeing where he is sleeping in the house at night recently. He has never done this before. He is only 7 years old, a German Shepherd/Lab mix. He's a big boy, about 140 pounds and is having a little difficulty getting up in the mornings. Maybe he has a UTI or needs Proin? I can't even imagine him being "put down" or even sleeping outside; he's one of my best friends. He also really stinks, maybe it's from his peeing on himself?

By Ray M from Wrightwood, CA

Best Answer

Have your vet test his urine for a urinary tract infection, like you mentioned in your post. That is a likely source of the smelly urine. My senior doxie gets them occasionally and I can tell when it's time for a urine test by her smelly urine. Ick. Easy to treat with pills. Good luck with Hoss! He looks like a sweet boy.

My Shih-Tzu has always peed in my other dog's bed. She also pees on my daughter's dog's bed and her own bed, and then sleeps on it. I have not ever caught her and now she's 7 yrs old

At night or when I'm not home, I do not let her roam anymore. She gets blocked in the bathroom with a baby gate, with food and water (which she never touches at night, but it makes me feel better that it's there if she wanted it ). I have a big towel folded on the floor then her dog bed on that and another towel on the bed. Every single night she pees on everything and then sleeps on it. I have even given her nothing to sleep on, and she doesn't pee at night, but will pee on my other dog's bed sometime throughout the day, as soon as she gets an opportunity.

She has peed on my bed in the past, now I keep my door shut so she can't go in there. I'm just so tired of my place smelling like dog urine *Sigh*

By Cynthia

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Anonymous

Sorry people, but I don't believe this is a physical illness issue. My cocker does the same thing. If it were an illness then he'd do it even if there weren't a towel or something else to pee on. But seems neither Isabels dog, or mine pee when nothing is there. Wish I could give you an answer though cause I'm in the same boat.

Our dog Jake, who is 11, recently started to pee in his bed when we are gone. He even does it now when only one person is home and in the shower. His blood work came back good from the vet. He can make it all night without peeing when we go to sleep. What can we do to correct this?

Thanks.

Why is everyone quick to say it can only be a bladder issue? My dog is well pad trained. And when I'm gone she'll pee only on MY throw and curl up in it. So we stopped leaving them around and she stopped. And she was also peeing on my bed and she curled up in it, then we stopped letting her on the bed. So then she wanted to sleep on her pee pads. I thought this was counter intuitive for dogs. What's the deal!?

I have two British Bulldogs and my eldest, who is now 11, started peeing on her bed when we got the younger one. Initially I thought it was a dominance thing, however, it's been 5 years now and there's no sign of improvement. Instead now she doesn't care if she lays in it.

We let them out regularly and for longer last thing at night and even take the water away after 6:30/7. I have even tried not washing the bed just drying it out, but it made no difference. She does not do it during the day though it's only at night. Any advice welcome :)

Thank you.

By Carina

Answer Was this helpful? 1

What does your vet say about it? My 12 year old dog started doing that and I couldn't understand why until one day while petting her I discovered a large lump in her abdomen. Turned out to be a baseball size cancer tumor.

I have a 12 year old female Pit. I go to work every day from 6:00 AM 5:00 PM when I get home. I leave her in the house by herself and she does great. When I get home I feed her, give her water, and take her potty. And she does great. When I bring her back in the house, half an hour later she lays down on her bed and pees on her bed. How can I stop her doing that and why she is doing it when she doesn't do that the whole time I am out to work? Thank you.

Anonymous

Cuz ur not home enough with her

My dog wets herself all the time day or night asleep or awake. She is always drinking water. It's driving me mad. I'm changing her bed 2 to 3 times a day. She's 4 years old. I love her dearly, but feel I just can not keep her if this continues. I need help.

By Lorraine from London

Have your vet check for diabetes. He doesn't pee as much as he did before insulin. But still pees in his bed from time to time even though he has pee pads an we are always there to let him out during day. Ten year old chihuahua

My French Bulldog came from a pet store and we are the 3rd owner. He is 2 years old and seems to enjoy sleeping in his urine. He will pee on any bedding we give him, he also destroyed our couch with urine and has peed on my pillow recently. Now he is crated at night, but he goes on his blankets and sleeps on it so he is always smelly in the morning. He asks to go potty and we let him out right away, and before bed of course, so it seems he just does it because he likes sleeping on it. I going crazy cause I am tired of washing peed on blankets every single day, his bedroom stinks in the morning and I feel bad to not give him blankets because he really likes to be cozy.

By Isadora

Anonymous

I have been having the same problem with my female tea cup Chihuahua , she is now 8 years old and both my Chihuahua are crated during the day while we work. I bought them both there own crates which are for large dogs but I wanted them to be comfortable have a bed , food water and puppy pads in there while we are gone. Every day I come home she smells like pee, she pees all over her bed and it stinks so bad and lays in it . I have gone threw so many beds, I even took the bed out and tried towels and she peeded all over them. She doesn't pee in the house any where else. I took her to the Vet and after over 100 dollars, he stated there was nothing wrong with her. That she is probably doing it to be hateful. I need a solution soon , because I can't keep washing her and her beds daily

I have a 9 year Doberman female. She is fully trained. She has just recently started refusing to sleep in her bed because of something she smells. When we check her bed it is damp like she may have wet it, but it has no smell. She never actually squats and pees on it so I'm not sure what's happening. It's only on her bed. She sleeps all day on my son's bed and it never happens.

take her to the vet..something isnt right in her urinary tract they have a name for it. my dobbie is doing the same thing and on my way to the vet.

My family adopted a female Dachshund who was abused in her earlier years. Now that she has turned 14 she has started peeing her bed several times a day. She goes out twice in the morning. And when we're home from work, she has peed in the garage several times, but yet still wets her bed. Is it because that's where she feels safe?

By Jenna C.

My sister's older dog started doing this. She took her to the vet and found out she has diabetes. I would take your dog to a vet.

My 3 year old Lhassa Apso has just started to pee where he is sleeping or sitting and he doesn't move. He has never done this before and always has access to go out or comes to get me. His food has not changed, he is drinking a lot. He just stays in it after; he carries on sleeping. Any ideas?

By Dolly B from Ireland

You should have your dog checked for kidney problems or possibly diabetes. Both of them have the symptoms you describes. Both can be easily managed.

I am 8wks pregnant and my dog has never had a peeing problem on her bed no matter how long she was in her crate. But now she is peeing on her bed. It does not have a urine smell though. Could she be excessively licking her bed or do you think she is peeing her bed because she knows I am pregnant?

By Jessica T. from Carrollton, GA

Have you noticed how much your dog is drinking? The dog could have developed diabetes. Take the dog to the vet to rule this out.

I got my English Bulldog at 13 weeks old. He was from a pet store. We weren't even looking to get a dog just went to see the puppies that day, but we fell in love:) Now the store had him since he was 8 weeks so for the 5 weeks he ate, slept, peed, and pooped in a 2 x 4 ft. cage.

Now he can barely turn around in his crate, yet still pees and sleeps like a baby! Thank God he doesn't poop anymore, but it's only been 2 weeks since the last incident. Is this a comfort thing? His bed that I keep outside the crate he loves yet will pop a squat and lay right down for a nap! Is this a comfort thing? Is it too late to reprogram this behavior? My kids and I want him out of the kitchen prison and in the family area so we can enjoy having a dog!

By Vivi

I am having this problem. I watch an English bulldog, 6 months old. I take her out to pee. Soon after we come indoors, before she lays down on a floor bed, she will circle or preparing to lay in her bed, squat quickly and pee, then get comfortable to sleep next to the pee. Her owners say she doesn't do this with them, but I am wondering if they aren't catching her. Why would she do this, it's gross? I don't condone it, I watch her and get her to stop midstream, but other times, she'll be too quick and It's too late. It's embarrassing for me with her owners, because I feel she does this because she is trying to be defiant with me.

I play with her alot, my hands and clothes smell so I know she's peeing in house when not under my care, she doesn't like when I do dig into her mouth when she picks up stuff and I always correct her when she tries to go into garbage, she will get snippy with me, like letting me know that she didn't like that I am stopping bad behavior but I keep at it, saying no and push her away. But the peeing, I can't seem to stop that. I got to get her to stop peeing on her beds before napping. What If she doesn't outgrow this? I have to remove beds off floor when I watch her. Please anyone, who has an answer, please respond.

I have a 2 yr old English Bulldog who has slept in a cage since we have had her from a puppy. She is house trained but has always wet her bed during the night. We let her out early in the morning. She likes sleeping in her cage as we have tried other options, but nothing seems to work.

I wash her blanket every night, even tried just putting newspaper in her cage. The only time she doesn't wet her bed is when I take everything out of her bed, but then she just scratches in her bed at night and doesn't sleep very well. Can you help?

By Mavis from England UK

Mavis, I too am a doggie lover. We have had this problem also. Try this:

1. do not give water to the doggie after say 6 pm.

2. give the doggie one more time to go outside to pee just before bed, etc.

3. If you arise early, go immediately to let the doggie out and praise it for doing it 's biz outside. Always praise your doggie when they do good on anything. Good luck, let me know if this at least helps some.

Kindest regards from an old "Anglophile". Jim M.

My 4yr old male Cocker has started going to the toilet in his bed at night. He can't be trusted to roam free in a room for the same reason so we have him in a soft crate while his brother can be trusted so roams free (laundry). Lately he has started going to the toilet (pee and poop) every night.

We've tried taking them out before we go to bed (they come in about 7pm and I go to sleep about 10pm), but this hasn't helped. We've tried punishment - putting him in the garage overnight - no success. His diet hasn't changed. Our hours of being away from the house haven't changed - nothing has changed that we can think of. We don't mind if they go in the house when they are unwell, but this seems to be willful behaviour. They are usually in the house between 7pm and about 6:30am. Please help!

Anonymous

Dogs dont understand punishment minutes after an incident. When a dog is doing something you dont want him to do, it needs to be corrected the moment he is doing it, otherwise he will not understand. Hes wondering why you put him in the garage.

I have a Fox Terrier, her name is Belle and she is two years old. She has this habit of often peeing on her bed. She is also shedding a lot. I have tried everything, but can't find any solution. And as for her shedding problems, the vet told me that it's normal for her to shed like this. Her potty training is finished, but as soon as I replace her bed sheets, she has to pee on it. Because of this I had to put her outside. I built her a nice little house of course! Her bed sheets and bed don't last a month. Please can someone help, because I really love my little girl.
Thanks.

I assume you have a smooth fox terrier. They do shed more than wire hairs, but no dog should shed constantly. Try adding omega 3 oils to the diet or buying the high omega 3 food. Regular grooming with a brush like slicker brush might reduce it.

Fox terriers are active dogs. They require a lot of exercise, more than most dogs. The peeing might be related to this, if built up frustration is an issue. Walk your terrier a total of an hour per day. She will probably also require playtime daily.

How was she house trained? Is she crate trained? Did she ever train to pee pads? You may have to re-train and do crate training. Don't use pee pads at all.

I have recently adopted a 5 month old Staghound x Lab puppy. He is very nervy and is not house trained, but he seems to wee wherever he feels most comfortable. This is in places like under the table or on his own bed! I will take him out for walks and then we come home and he pees straight away, but it's always inside! At night though he only pees on his bed, not anywhere else. I don't know how to make him stop without making him not like his bed!

The dog probably just needs to be house trained properly.

Here are some links for housetraining:

http://healthyp  -of-any-age.aspx

http://thehouse  -crate-training/

Books and videos are also available on the subject.

I am having a problem with my 8 year old mini Yorkie urinating for the first time on my and my boyfriend's bed. We first thought it was our sausage dog. Then tonight he came through with me to the kitchen to get something and walked straight passed his potty pad onto his bed and urinated and walked back through to the kitchen.

The other dog and his bed wasn't there, but I wasn't even putting him in there. He has never done this before, but they both had been in trouble for urinating on the bed. We have been building for a long time so I don't know if it's because of that stress?

Please help.

Stress can cause this. Try keeping the bedroom door closed for a while. Construction is very stressful to pets.

I have an American Bulldog female who is 4 and a half years old. She is fully house trained. I rescued her from cruelty. I have had her nearly 1 year now and she suddenly started to pee on her bed and stopped moaning to go out when my family and I are in the house with the dog in front of us. She has never done this before and always moaned to go out to the toilet before.

As I said I rescued her from cruelty because her old owner left her in the garden 24/7 and starved her and used her for a punching bag. Since I got her she has learned loads of tricks, like sit and paw and walking off the lead.
Please can someone help me with the peeing as when she goes it stinks my whole living room out.
Thanks very much.

She may have a bladder infection. Have your vet check her out.

I have a Pit Bull I adopted several months ago. She is 3 years old and has never had a problem with urinating in the house. But recently I bought her a new cage - twice the size as the old one, which she sleeps in at night, and she used to sleep on old blanket. I bought her a new memory foam bed to put in there just a few days ago. So far she has peed on it twice, and both were right after taking a walk outside. Again, she has never had an issue with this before.

By Joni from NYC, NY

Aubergine is right. Dogs don't necessarily prefer plush beds. They like the feeling of having something solid under them. An old blanket is fine.

Don't use too large a cage or kennel. Is it a wire cage? If so, you might want to drape a throw over it to make it seem more enclosed. A dog wants a "den" that they feel another animal wouldn't be able to easily get into. That means a relatively close one.

I have a Doberman who is 3 years old and he has recently started to wet the bed at night time, but it's not every night. We make him go outside to try and have a wee before bed, but this doesn't make a difference. The other night he woke at 5:00 am wanting to go for a wee which he pretty much has never done before. Could you give me some advice as to what it could be as the vet isn't very helpful?

By Victoria B

I've had several Dobies & the males are prone to kidney problems at that age. Get him to a good vet ASAP to check his kidney function! I had to put down my Dobie for Kidney Failure because it wasn't caught in time. Best wishes!

I have an 11 year old Maltese. She pees on her own bed when we are away even if she has a peeing pad out. She also takes her food out of her dish and brings it to her bed to eat it. What can I do?

By SC from FL

Have your dog checked for diabetes? It can cause excessive thirst and hunger. It is easy to live with when you get the hang of it. Your Vet can tell you how to deal with it.

My three year old Shepherd started wetting the bed while she sleeps. It just started a few days ago, a day after I took her for a bath at a local dog groomers. Do you think she could have gotten a uti from there?

By Susan

Hello,

Please go to your Veterinarian for an exam. Peeing in her sleep is not normal and she needs to be checked.

My dog is 6 yrs old and started peeing in her bed about 6 months ago. She only does it when we are gone at work and not at night. She sleeps in our bed at night and has never had an accident in our bed. She stays in the kitchen during the day and we also have a pee pad that she use to use all the time. We have taken her to the vet and all test came back normal. Please help!

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I notice that there is a lot of dogs wetting beds. We have had a British bulldog from a friend. She's been with us about a year now and is about 2 years old. Our problem is the same, she will wet her bed but only if we place a blanket or bedding in the basket. When newspaper is only form of bedding, she will not wee.

She was one of 16 dogs that the breeder had in a conservatory so I think the wetting problem stems from claiming her bed amongst that lot. I think people could try this out see if it works for them.

By lindz from Port Talbot, UK

dog in pink sweater

Comment Like this photo? Yes

I have a friend who has recently adopted a female and male (brother & sister) Siberian Husky/Rhodesian ridge-back mix from a shelter. They both sleep on her bed and they both wet the bed almost every night. How do you stop this problem?