Finding the Value of Grolier's Book of Knowledge Encyclopedias

Some old books may be rare and have great value, others may be more difficult to place a value on. This is a guide about finding the value of Grolier's Book of Knowledge encyclopedias.

August 1, 2016 Flag

I have a 1928 copyright edition of the Book of Knowledge, published by the Grolier Society. It is a 19 volume set + guidebook.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias, dictionaries and reference books but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigs List and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

March 13, 2015 Flag

I have a 20 volume set of The Book of Knowledge. (Arthur Mee Editor-In-Chief). Inside it states Copyright, 1926,1927, The Grolier Society, Copyright 1923,1924,1925,1926,1927 by The Amalgamated Press (1922) Limited.
The books are hardcover, green cloth with gold imprint. The books are in excellent condition.
What are these books worth to a collector today?

By Kristy F

I have a full set copyright 1928 in good shape

I have a full set in decent shape. Says 1922 limited.

July 15, 2013 Flag

Where can I sell old used books? I have a set, from A-Z of The New Book of Knowledge, by Grolier.

By Sonya

Craigslist for $20.

In my experience the thrift stores won't even accept them as a donation. They are worthless now because the info is all online now.

March 13, 2016 Flag

I have a 20 volume set of the 1943 Book of Knowledge by Grolier, plus yearly annuals thru 1953. Any idea of the value?

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

May 12, 2013 Flag

I have a complete set of The Book of Knowledge 1935 Silver Jubilee edition. It is in good condition. Any idea of the value of the set?
Thanks for your time:)

By Kris A

Hi David

We have the complete 1935 set. Where are you located?

Will you consider two sets of the Book of Knowledge set published in 1962 and the Book of Science set published by Grolier in 1963?

November 10, 2015 Flag

I have a complete set of The Book of Knowledge the children's encyclopedia. They are cloth bound, blue in color with leather spine and corners, and gold writing on spine. The editor in chief was Arthur Mee. Some of the copyrights are from 1868. Advice on value would be appreciated. Thanks.

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

October 20, 2015 Flag

I was wondering if I could exchange or find out the value of the Grolier Encyclopedia. It is a 1961 edition with 20 volumes.

April 9, 2013 Flag

The books are hardcover, green cloth with gold imprint. The books are in excellent condition with minimal damage inside the back cover of book 1 only.

What would it be worth to a collector today?

By Diane M.

I have this exact set in good condition. Can you tell me where and for how much you sold yours? Thank you

October 23, 2013 Flag

I have The Book of Knowledge Children's Encyclopedia, 2 volumes, 16 and 12. Copyright dates are from 1868 to 1919. They have leather covers, in fair condition. I want to sell them. Does anyone know the value of these books? I may have more volumes; I am still unpacking boxes.

By D. Israel

Usually encyclopedias are worthless, except for crafts purposes. But these are old enough that I would check with a bookstore that specializes in antiques. Good luck! Please let us know what you find out.

February 5, 2013 Flag

I have the set of 21 books. They are mint and didn't get much use by the look of it. The cover is reddish and has a boy and girl stamped into the leather. I am looking for a price and how to find a buyer.

Thank you!

By Dale S

I can see one volume selling for $12 on eBay here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-New-Mod ... e&hash=item337e2b3f0e&_uhb=1

I suppose that could put the set at over $200.

July 23, 2012 Flag

I have the Book of Knowledge, the children's encyclopedia 19 volume set, plus the index. I would like to know the value of this collection. It looks different than the ones I seen online. It has some water damage to some of the volumes. Does anyone know anything about this set? Thank you.

By Yassmeen

I also have been trying to find info on this set. I have 2 sets of them both from 1923. They appear to be full leather covers. They are in much better condition than cloth bound editions from this period. I hope somebody can enlighten us about them.

Load More
Consumer Advice Collectibles BooksJune 2, 2013
Stack of very old encyclopedias.
Finding the Value of Old Encyclopedia Sets
Stack of paperback books.
Repairing a Paperback Book
Old Encyclopedias on Shelf
Finding the Value of Old Reference Books
Stack of Books Lamp
Making a Book Stack Lamp
🎉
🎄