Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>
A wicker bowl of eggs.

It is a good idea to stock up when eggs are on sale and freeze them for later use. This is a guide about freezing eggs.

Solutions: Freezing Eggs

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Freezing Eggs

Until a good friend shared this tip with me, I did not know that fresh eggs can be whisked together and frozen for up to six months. I have been doing this for over a year now.

I buy large eggs when they are on sale in the 18 pack cartons. I keep out about six for use in the fridge and then whisk together whites and yolks of the remaining 12 eggs until just combined.

I then measure them into my ice ice-cube trays, using 3 Tbsp. of the mixture per segment (3 Tbsp. is equivalent to 1 large egg).

Freeze until solid, then transfer cubes to a freezer bag for up to 6 months. Don't forget to date the freezer bag. When ready to use take out one or more and thaw in the refrigerator.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

Tip: How To Freeze Eggs

You can freeze eggs by cracking them open and mixing them well. Then just put the mixed eggs in ice trays and freeze. Two cubes is equal to one egg. Then just take them out as you need them.

By

Tip: Store "Emergency" Eggs In The Freezer

When you return home with fresh eggs from the market, whip up a couple and pour them into a small ziplock freezer bag or freezer proof container and store them in the freezer on reserve for a just-in-case emergency like this:

Has this ever happened to you? You're baking a cake or cooking a dish that calls for eggs. You go to the fridge to grab a few eggs only to find that you are out of them. This has happened to me a few times and sometimes I either forgot to buy eggs when at the market, or cannot get to a market at the time. To safeguard myself from this I came up with this idea and it has been a safety net for me until I can get to the market. I have not kept them in the freezer for longer than 2 months at a time as I didn't want them to go to waste, but doing this has worked for me and I wanted to share this tip with all of you.

Source: Extra note: I thaw the eggs by sitting the container or ziplock bag in a container of tepid water and they cook/bake well and taste as if they have never been frozen at all.

By sbb1 from Umm al Quain, UAE

Tip: Freeze Your Eggs

Eggs, (blended) can be kept in the freezer in an airtight container for up to four months. Here are some simple tips to help you freeze your eggs properly.

In the case of whole eggs, beat lightly before freezing. To freeze egg yolks, beat in either 1/8 teaspoon (0.5 mL) salt or 1 and a pinch teaspoons (7 mL) of sugar or corn syrup per cup (50 mL) egg yolks (about 4 yolks). For egg whites, you can freeze them as they are. For faster thawing and easier measuring, you can freeze eggs (after having followed the proper tips listed above) in an ice cube tray and then transfer them to a freezer container. It is important to note that although eggs can be frozen, they should not be frozen in their shell.

By Cinnamon from Williams Lake, BC

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Freezing Eggs.

Question: Freezing Cooked Eggs

I have ended up with 5 dozen hardboiled, shelled eggs. Can I freeze them? Please help.

By Adele

Question: Freezing Eggs in the Shell

Can you freeze fresh eggs in the shell?

By Bonnie from Nevada, IA

Most Recent Answer

By Kim12/05/2011

I have frozen them for years so that we had enough eggs to get through winter. (Chickens that are not artificially heated/lit do not lay in the winter but can lay for many years beyond chickens that are not given a 'break' from laying.) They were all farm fresh though... so they were not sitting around on grocery store shelves or anything.

We did only use them for hard boiled, scrambled or baking though.

Question: Freezing Egg Yolks

I know that egg whites can be frozen for later use (an ice tray works great) and they will beat up great for meringues. Egg Beaters do not beat or fluff up because of the pasteurization process. Does anyone know if you can do the same with egg yolks?

By Sandy from Richmond, VA

Most Recent Answer

By Cyndi04/09/2010

Egg yolks frozen alone require special prep. To help retard the gelation that will make your yolks almost impossible to use you will need to add salt or sugar. Add 1/8 tsp salt or 1 1/2 tsp sugar to four beaten egg yolks. Be sure to mark on your container whether they are for cooking (salt) or baking (sugar)

If you just want to freeze the whole egg, take them out of the shell, beat well and freeze. Three (3) tablespoons of thawed egg equals one whole egg. I got this information from the NC Egg Board and have been freezing eggs for several years. Chickens don't lay as well in the winter!

Question: My Eggs Were Frozen

My refrigerator got turned up too high and some of my eggs got froze. It is safe to still use these after they thaw, or should i throw them out. I mainly use to fry or make omelets. Thank you for the advice.

jmz2005 from Illinois

Most Recent Answer

By Camilla (Guest Post)07/06/2006

Eggs frozen in the shell in the frig work well. Leave them in their frozen state until ready to use. Set in a bowl of lukewarm water for a few minutes before using. Have used these often with no problems.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Freezing Eggs

Requesting help, please. A neighbor of ours, who sells eggs, has gifted me with 10 dozen eggs. I have given away many of them, but still am left with more than I can comfortably use right now.

How can I freeze them to use in cooking later on? I think I have to separate them and freeze individually, but am looking for a tip on how I will know later on how much of the white and the yoke constitute a regular large egg?

Thanks for any help!
Sandie

Answers:
RE: Freezing Eggs 05/05/2004
No you can't. I did this years ago and I had egg popsicles.
By Dana. (Guest Post)
RE: Freezing Eggs 05/05/2004
I think you can. Yolks and whites have to be separated. Need more info.
By nolasandy (Guest Post)
RE: Freezing Eggs 05/05/2004
Yes you can freeze eggs, I have done this in the past but you won't be able to get sunny side up eggs again. You will be able to use them as scrambled or in recipes. We found out you can freeze them when my neighbors chickens got to laying so much we got sick of anything with eggs in it!! Hope this works for you.
By Terry (Guest Post)
RE: Freezing Eggs 05/05/2004
Yes you can freeze eggs but usually they can only be used for baking afterwards. Make a package of two or three eggs to be froze. Break open the eggs, give them a stir with a fork, put in ziploc freezer bags, and they will keep for quite a while. Hope this helps.
By Pam S. (Guest Post)
RE: Freezing Eggs 05/06/2004
Yes - separate yolks from whites - whites cannot be used for stiffly whipped recipes such as meringues after freezing. Regards Jo
By Jo Bodey
RE: Freezing Eggs 05/12/2004
Yes you can freeze eggs. The whites do not need to be seperated from the yolk. I never do it. However you can't freeze an egg in the shell. Well...you can but it isn't a good idea. I like to crack my eggs into an ice cube tray, yolk and all. Then when they are frozen I pop them out and put in a ziploc. Sometimes I scramble with a fork first...sometimes I don't. You will find that when you thaw the eggs they are a tad bit more runny.
By Becky (Guest Post)
RE: Freezing Eggs 11/28/2004
This web site gives information about storing eggs including instructions for freezing. http://www.eggs.net.nz/egg_storing.htm
By Diana (Guest Post)
RE: Freezing Eggs 06/29/2005
Could you not use them for baking up a lot of meals and desserts in advance and freeze the results? You won't have to cook for a while and you haven't ruined the eggs. Quiches, cakes, casseroles and other things like that seem to freeze OK.
RE: Freezing Eggs 06/29/2005
Hi, We always froze eggs when I was growing up. We had lots of chickens. My Mom cracked the eggs into a large bowl. She then scrambled them with a fork. She took a small ladel and put them into ice cube trays. She froze them and put them into ziplock bags. She always told me that she used one egg cube to equal an egg. She used them in cooking, scrambled eggs, omletsand baking. Enjoy your eggs!
By stormey (Guest Post)

Archive: Freezing Eggs

When I get an abundance of eggs, I crack them in a bowl, beat them, and pour in ice trays.

Archive: Freezing Eggs

A Guide to Freezing Eggs. Select the freshest eggs you can find. Examine the shells to make sure they are free from cracks and blemishes..

Archive: Freezing Eggs

Is it possible to freeze eggs?

By county from Fort Scott, KS

RE: Freezing Eggs

This one has all the info you need.
thriftyfun.com (06/30/2009)

By Deeli

RE: Freezing Eggs

Yes, you can. But you do have to break the yolk. Even if you just puncture it with a tooth pick. You can also put them in a bowl and beat them like you are going to make scrambled eggs. One quarter cup equals to one egg. (07/01/2009)

By Debbie-Jenn

Archive: Freezing Eggs

I read somewhere that you can freeze egg yolks and whites. Has anyone done this and was it successful? Many thanks.

Archive: Freezing Eggs in the Shell

Can you freeze fresh eggs in the shell?