Freezing Eggs

It is a good idea to stock up when eggs are on sale and freeze them for later use. This is a guide about freezing eggs.

A wicker bowl of eggs.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 2, 2010 Flag

Until a good friend shared this tip with me, I did not know that fresh eggs can be whisked together and frozen for up to six months. I have been doing this for over a year now.

I buy large eggs when they are on sale in the 18 pack cartons. I keep out about six for use in the fridge and then whisk together whites and yolks of the remaining 12 eggs until just combined.

I then measure them into my ice ice-cube trays, using 3 Tbsp. of the mixture per segment (3 Tbsp. is equivalent to 1 large egg).

Freeze until solid, then transfer cubes to a freezer bag for up to 6 months. Don't forget to date the freezer bag. When ready to use take out one or more and thaw in the refrigerator.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 15, 2008 Flag

When you return home with fresh eggs from the market, whip up a couple and pour them into a small ziplock freezer bag or freezer proof container and store them in the freezer on reserve for a just-in-case emergency like this:

Has this ever happened to you? You're baking a cake or cooking a dish that calls for eggs. You go to the fridge to grab a few eggs only to find that you are out of them. This has happened to me a few times and sometimes I either forgot to buy eggs when at the market, or cannot get to a market at the time. To safeguard myself from this I came up with this idea and it has been a safety net for me until I can get to the market. I have not kept them in the freezer for longer than 2 months at a time as I didn't want them to go to waste, but doing this has worked for me and I wanted to share this tip with all of you.

Source: Extra note: I thaw the eggs by sitting the container or ziplock bag in a container of tepid water and they cook/bake well and taste as if they have never been frozen at all.

By sbb1 from Umm al Quain, UAE

January 5, 2016 Flag

Do I have to add anything to whole raw eggs to freeze them?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

No-This great site explains the process:

http://www.wikihow.com/Freeze-Eggs

July 5, 2013 Flag

You can freeze eggs by cracking them open and mixing them well. Then just put the mixed eggs in ice trays and freeze. Two cubes is equal to one egg. Then just take them out as you need them.

March 9, 2011 Flag

Can you freeze fresh eggs in the shell?

By Bonnie from Nevada, IA

It's not worth the risk of bacteria. Here's a link of assorted ways to freeze eggs:

http://www.georgiaeggs.org/pages/freezingeggs.html

I have frozen them for years so that we had enough eggs to get through winter. (Chickens that are not artificially heated/lit do not lay in the winter but can lay for many years beyond chickens that are not given a 'break' from laying.) They were all farm fresh though... so they were not sitting around on grocery store shelves or anything.

We did only use them for hard boiled, scrambled or baking though.

Read More Answers...

July 1, 2006 Flag

My refrigerator got turned up too high and some of my eggs got froze. It is safe to still use these after they thaw, or should i throw them out. I mainly use to fry or make omelets. Thank you for the advice.

jmz2005 from Illinois

According to kitchen safety guidelines, (I can't remember the source I looked this up from, but it was recently, as I was writing an article for my webpage) if eggs freeze accidentally in their shells, keep them frozen until needed. Defrost them in the refrigerator. Discard any with cracked shells.

Eggs frozen in the shell in the frig work well. Leave them in their frozen state until ready to use. Set in a bowl of lukewarm water for a few minutes before using. Have used these often with no problems.

Read More Answers...

April 8, 2010 Flag

I know that egg whites can be frozen for later use (an ice tray works great) and they will beat up great for meringues. Egg Beaters do not beat or fluff up because of the pasteurization process. Does anyone know if you can do the same with egg yolks?

By Sandy from Richmond, VA

You indeed can freeze egg yolks and they'll be fine for any recipe but yokes will not fluff up like whites do whether they're fresh or have been frozen. That's why meringue is made with whites only, because whites and yolk contain different ingredients. Even a tad bit of yoke in those whites can ruin meringue. Egg beaters probably don't beat up for the same reason . There's just enough other ingredients in them other than the whites to stop the fluffing action.

Egg yolks frozen alone require special prep. To help retard the gelation that will make your yolks almost impossible to use you will need to add salt or sugar. Add 1/8 tsp salt or 1 1/2 tsp sugar to four beaten egg yolks. Be sure to mark on your container whether they are for cooking (salt) or baking (sugar)

If you just want to freeze the whole egg, take them out of the shell, beat well and freeze. Three (3) tablespoons of thawed egg equals one whole egg. I got this information from the NC Egg Board and have been freezing eggs for several years. Chickens don't lay as well in the winter!

October 1, 2007 Flag

Eggs, (blended) can be kept in the freezer in an airtight container for up to four months. Here are some simple tips to help you freeze your eggs properly.

In the case of whole eggs, beat lightly before freezing. To freeze egg yolks, beat in either 1/8 teaspoon (0.5 mL) salt or 1 and a pinch teaspoons (7 mL) of sugar or corn syrup per cup (50 mL) egg yolks (about 4 yolks). For egg whites, you can freeze them as they are. For faster thawing and easier measuring, you can freeze eggs (after having followed the proper tips listed above) in an ice cube tray and then transfer them to a freezer container. It is important to note that although eggs can be frozen, they should not be frozen in their shell.

By Cinnamon from Williams Lake, BC

March 9, 2011 Flag

Can you freeze fresh eggs in the shell?

David from Seattle, WA

Answers:

Freezing Eggs in the Shell

You need to remove eggs from their shell before freezing them. Here's some info on freezing them whole or freezing the yolks and whites separately:

http://www.georgiaeggs.org/pages/freezingeggs.html (08/01/2008)

By Kaelle

Freezing Eggs in the Shell

Yes, but you can't have an egg over easy any more. My mom used to freeze eggs and they were fine for recipes or scrambling, but the yolk stays round like a ball. (08/01/2008)

Freezing Eggs in the Shell

We froze eggs by mistake when on a camping trip and ended up having to use them all at once because the eggs expanded and cracked the shells.

You can beat the yolk and white together and freeze them to use for cooking, etc. About 3 1/2 tablespoons make a large egg. You could also freeze a certain number in each small freezer bag (3 for cake mixes, 2 for muffins, etc. or whatever you usually use).

An alternative would be to freeze them in shells and then remove the cracked shells and store in small freezer bags. I believe the yolk membrane is cracked by expansion because it will not remain whole. (08/02/2008)

By Har'iet

Freezing Eggs in the Shell

We have had eggs freeze accidentally in our fridge, but once they thawed a bit, we couldn't tell any difference when using them. I do agree that it would probably be best to use these in some type of baking dish, just to be safe. (08/02/2008)

By Patricia1951

Freezing Eggs in the Shell

Best to put egg yolk with white in ice cube trays. Freeze, pop out, and place in zip-locked freezer baggie. They store for quite a while in the freezer. (09/13/2008)

By Diana

April 2, 2010 Flag

I read somewhere that you can freeze egg yolks and whites. Has anyone done this and was it successful? Many thanks.
      Helen x

By h.arnott from U.K

Answers:

Freezing Eggs

Yes you can freeze them, my bestfriend's mom makes noodles and she freezes the yolks and whites separately, she uses the yolks for the noodles and the whites for angel food cakes, and they are all great. You have to let them thaw to use. (12/24/2009)

By jblondie39

December 21, 2009 Flag

Is it possible to freeze eggs?

By county from Fort Scott, KS

Answers:

Freezing Eggs

This one has all the info you need.

thriftyfun.com (06/30/2009)

By Deeli

Freezing Eggs

Yes, you can. But you do have to break the yolk. Even if you just puncture it with a tooth pick. You can also put them in a bowl and beat them like you are going to make scrambled eggs. One quarter cup equals to one egg. (07/01/2009)

By Debbie-Jenn

June 29, 2009 Flag
      By Ellen Brown

***

***

Selecting High-Quality Eggs: Select the freshest eggs you can find. Examine the shells to make sure they are free from cracks and blemishes. Raw eggs will expand while freezing so they cannot be frozen in the shell. Hard-boiled eggs do not freeze well.

Preparing for Freezing: Break each egg separately into a clean saucer, separating yolks from whites if necessary. Examine for freshness and remove any pieces of shell before mixing with other eggs. Fresh eggs have firm whites and plump yolks.

Whole Eggs: Mix yolks and whites together by stirring gently. Avoid creating air bubbles or foam which will compromise egg quality during freezing. Depending on your intended use, add 1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar (desserts) or 1/2 teaspoon of salt (main dish) for each cup of whole eggs to prevent yolk from becoming gummy. Package into suitable container, leaving 1/2 inch for headspace, seal and freeze. For cooking and baking, 3 tablespoons of this mixture is the equivalent of 1 whole egg.

Egg Yolks: Separate eggs and stir yolks together gently. Depending on intended use, add 1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar (desserts) or 1/2 teaspoons of salt (main dish) for each cup of egg yolks. This will prevent eggs yolks from getting gummy. Package, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace. Seal and freeze. For cooking and baking, 1 tablespoon of this mixture is the equivalent of 1 egg yolk.

Egg Whites: Separate eggs, and gently mix together egg whites. Avoid creating bubbles or foam. Adding sugar or salt to this mixture is not necessary. Package, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace, seal and freeze. For cooking and baking, 2 tablespoons of this mixture is the equivalent of one egg white.

Suitable Packaging: Freezer containers should be moisture and vapor resistant and should not be prone to cracking or breaking at low temperatures. Containers should provide protection against absorbing flavors or odors and should be easy to label. Suitable packaging for freezing eggs includes freezer-grade plastic bags, rigid plastic and glass containers.

Maximum Storage Time: 12 months at 0ºF.

Thawing: Thaw eggs in their container in the refrigerator. Allow approximately 1 day for thawing before you need to use them (8 to 10 hours per pint). Eggs can also be thawed in their containers under cold running water.

Tips & Shortcuts: Ice cube trays and muffin tins made great containers for freezing whole or separated eggs. Freeze them until firm and then transfer individual cubes into plastic bags for long-term storage. 1 cube of whole egg mixture = 1 egg.

Refrigerating Eggs: Eggs can be stored for at least 1 month, covered in the refrigerator. Store them in the bottom of the refrigerator where it's colder, instead of in the door.

December 5, 2005 Flag

When I get an abundance of eggs, I crack them in a bowl, beat them, and pour in ice trays.

June 28, 2005 Flag

Requesting help, please. A neighbor of ours, who sells eggs, has gifted me with 10 dozen eggs.

Food and Recipes Food TipsJune 25, 2012
      Scrambled eggs are too watery.
      Watery Scrambled Eggs
      Cooking eggs for a large group.
      Cooking Scrambled Eggs for a Large Group
      Reusing Plastic Easter Eggs
      Reusing Plastic Easter Eggs
      Freezing Eggplants, Eggplants on White Background
      Freezing Eggplants
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 30, 2016 at 2:05:57 PM on 10.0.0.32 in 689 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.