Add to Guide Ask Question Join

Freezing Potatoes

Category Vegetables

Cooked potatoes work best for freezing. Fresh potatoes can be frozen but the texture is often altered. Potatoes are often frozen in the form of french fries, shredded potatoes and diced potatoes. This is a guide about freezing potatoes.

Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background

Cooked potatoes make the best candidates for freezing. Raw potatoes can be frozen with mixed results, but may develop a watery or grainy texture during freezing. If freezing casseroles or dishes containing unbaked potatoes, it's best to omit them during freezing and add them in fresh later. Cooked potatoes are excellent candidates for freezing and reheating.

Raw (Fresh) Potatoes:

New potatoes work best for freezing raw. Select smooth, firm potatoes from the supermarket or get them directly from the garden. Peel or scrape and wash. Remove any deep eyes, bruises or green coloring form the flesh. Cut into 1/2 inch slices or cubes. Water-blanch for 3 to 5 minutes, depending on the size. Potatoes should still be somewhat firm after blanching. Cool and drain. Pack in freezer bags leaving 1/2 inch of headspace. Label, seal and freeze. Potatoes can also be boiled whole with the skins on before being frozen. Cook until nearly done. Remove, cool and peel off skins. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in freezer bags. Seal, label and freeze. To prepare, finish cooking in water or microwave.

French Fried Potatoes:

Use mature potatoes (stored longer than 30 days) for making fresh fried potatoes. Wash and peel potatoes. Cut them into 1/3-inch sticks lengthwise, then crosswise into 3/8-inch strips. Rinse in cold water and dry thoroughly on paper towels. Fry small amounts in deep, hot oil (360ºF) for about 5 minutes. Potatoes should be tender but not brown. Drain on paper towel. Cool. Package, seal and freeze. Store frozen for 2 months. To serve, finish browning in 425ºF oven or fry in oil. Another method is to place the potato strips in a plastic bag with salt and oil. Shake the bag until the strips are fully coated. Bake them in an oven preheated to 425º until they are golden brown. Cool, package and freeze. Store frozen for 2 months. Reheat in oven until warm.

Hashed Brown Potatoes:

For hashed browned potatoes, prepare as you would to serve, only brown them only to the brown-and-serve stage. Cool and package for freezing. Store frozen for one to 2 months. When you want to use them, finish cooking and browning as you would normally.

Mashed Potatoes:

Prepare mashed potatoes as for serving. Cool. Pack in airtight containers for freezing. Alternatively, spoon individual servings of mashed potatoes onto baking sheets and tray-freeze until firm. Once firm, transfer into suitable containers and freeze. Remove individual mounds as needed. Store in the freezer for 1 month. Thaw mashed potatoes in microwave safe container.

Twice Baked or Stuffed Potatoes:

To stuff baked potatoes, remove the cooked potato from the skin, mash it and add seasonings or desired fillings. Return potato to the skin, piling lightly. Wrap each potato with plastic individually, then place in freezer bags. Store in the freezer for 1 month. Potatoes can be removed from wrappers and baked for 30 minutes at 425ºF. After 15 to 20 minutes in the oven, top each potato with grated cheese if desired.

Sweet Potatoes:

Wash and peel. Cook until almost tender. Cool. Leave whole, or cut into halves, slices or mash. Dip halves or slices into a solution of 1/2 cup of lemon juice or 1 tablespoon of ascorbic acid to 1 quart water for 5 seconds. This will keep flesh from darkening. To keep mashed sweet potatoes from darkening during freezing, add 2 tablespoons of orange or lemon juice to each quart of mashed potatoes. Pack in suitable container and freeze.

Suitable Freezer Packaging:

Freezer containers should be moisture and vapor resistant and should not be prone to cracking or breaking at low temperatures. Containers should provide protection against absorbing flavors or odors and should be easy to label. Suitable packaging for freezing potatoes includes freezer-grade plastic bags, rigid plastic containers or glass containers and heavy-duty aluminum foil or foil containers.

Refrigerating Potatoes:

Leftover cooked potatoes can be stored in sealed plastic bags or airtight containers for 2 to 3 days. Fresh, whole potatoes should be placed in a well ventilated container and stored in a cool, dark, moist place for 2 to 4 months. Do not refrigerate potatoes or keep them in plastic bags. Cure home grown potatoes for several days after harvesting in a warm, dark place before storage. This toughens up their skins and extends their storage time.

I buy potatoes when they are on sale. Then I boil them, mash them, and seal them in serving size containers and put them in the freezer. It's so nice to be able to just take out as much as I need and microwave it.

When I bake my potatoes, I always make extra to freeze. I scrub them well and dry; pierce them and wrap in tightly in foil. Any leftovers are cooled in the foil, then bagged in a freezer bag.

This is a guide about freezing sweet potatoes. You can shop of sweet potatoes when they are in season at the farmer's market or on sale at the super market. Now that you have a good number of this tasty tuberous root crop, consider freezing some for later use.

Sweet potatoes lying on a towel.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have a glass Pyrex dish of patrician potatoes leftover from Thanksgiving. It contains sour cream and cream cheese. Can I freeze this dish? I have unsuccessfully frozen mashed potatoes in the past. The dish is prepared, but has not been baked yet. Thank you.

By Mary E

Answers

Best Answer

I learned that after freezing the mashed potatoes to re-heat them in the oven, stirring them potatoes once or twice (depends on the size of the dish) to keep the content smooth. Worked like a charm. Now if I could only remember to turn my head when I open the oven door then my glasses wouldn't fog over.

Can I freeze roasted potatoes, or is it best to freeze the potatoes at the parboiled stage of the proceedings?

By TG from Berkshire, UK

Best Answer

You might try putting the parboiled potatoes on a cookie sheet with a bit of space between each potato. Place in freezer. After they are frozen, put them into large freezer bags or use a "sealing" machine if you have one, to take the air out of bag. I've done this with raw tomatoes with pretty good success.

Can I freeze white baked potatoes?

By Virginia

Best Answer

Absolutely! They even sell them precooked and frozen! You can even dress them up before you freeze them to save time at din din!

Just split them and add your chives, broccoli, cheese, etc. Let it cool, wrap it up in plastic wrap and freeze. To prepare, just pop it all in the microwave, nuke it a few minutes, time will vary depending on size. Add your sour cream, and viola!

I made them for a party and have a lot left over. Can I freeze them?

By Kathy

Best Answer

First that sounds really interesting, how do you make them?

Second, cut potatoes do not freeze well at all. Mashed a little better, still not great but if you add a bunch of milk when you reheat you can probably get away with it.

Load More