German Shepherd - Breed Information and Photos

German Shepherd
These popular large dogs are intelligent and known for helping mankind in many ways. This guide contains German Shepherd - breed information and photos.

Breed Description: This strong, courageous dog is one of the most popular breeds in the world. It possesses one of the keenest noses and highest degrees of intelligence in the dog world, making it suitable in almost any working capacity: herding, police work, guard dog or guide dog. The German Shepherd also makes a loving and faithful companion.

Group: Herding Group.

Purpose of Breed: Herding sheep

Country of Origin: Germany

Average Size: Ranges from 22-26 inches and 60-90 pounds depending on sex.

Color(s): Although their color may vary, German Shepherds are most commonly black, gray, and tan, many times with a black or dark-colored saddle.

Coat Type: Double coats of medium length hair. The outer coat consists of dense, straight hair that lays flat against the body. The hair length is somewhat shorter on the head and legs than on the rest of the body.

Grooming: Daily brushing is required to keep this breed's coat in top condition, however bathing is needed usually only a few times per year. This breed requires standard care for eyes, ears, pads, and nails.

Exercise Needs: German Shepherds are a large, highly intelligent breed that needs frequent exercise and mental stimulation to maintain optimal health. They adapt well to indoor living, but need daily exercise and a house with a fenced yard.

Temperament: This breed is highly intelligent and territorial, and makes a faithful and devoted companion. If properly trained and handled, the German Shepherd fits well within a family circle as a loyal and obedient companion. Initially suspicious of strangers, the multi-talented German Shepherd makes an excellent watchdog. This breed bonds deeply and does not like to be separated from his owner.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to bloat, skin disease, congenital heart problems, and hip dysplasia.

Life Expectancy: Averages 10-12 years.

Trivia: The famous dog "Rin Tin Tin" was a German Shepherd.

More Information: German Shepherd Dog Club of America

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Oona is 11 1/2 years old. She German Shepherd. My husband surprised me with Oona when she was only 8 weeks old. She used to love for my husband to sing to her and to keep us company sitting on the couch (naughty I know!)

Oona has a brain tumor and unfortunately is going to have to be euthanised this week. The photo is of her before she became ill. We are absolutely heartbroken to be losing her. She has been our best friend for more than 11 years and we will miss her desperately. We have made arrangements for her ashes to be returned to us so that we can bury her in our back garden, underneath the dog roses (appropriate, we thought).

By EVickers from England

Closeup of Shepherd.

Comment Like this photo? 18

Scarlet is three and a half year old sable coloured, long haired German Shepherd, and Delilah is an eleven years old black and tan, long haired German Shepherd. We bought Delilah in 2000 from a breeder who also breeds German Shepherds who are trained by the Victorian Police Department as tracking dogs. I bought Scarlet from another breeder when she was just eight weeks old, in 2008.

As we live in a rural area, they love to chase the rabbits until they disappear down their rabbit holes at the lake near our house. Scarlet loves to drive poor Delilah mad chasing her around and around the apricot and plum trees in the back yard until they both drop from exhaustion in the middle of the lounge room floor and have a sleep! It happens every night, right after they have their dinners!

They have such wonderful personalities and I often say that then not only read my mind, they control it! I never leave home without both of my dogs and if I can't take them wherever I'm going, I don't go. They adore my grandchildren and are very, very gentle and patient with them. They are also very protective of them.

Both Scarlet and Delilah are well known around my town, as it is only a small town of a little over 1,500 people. They take a lot of maintenance and grooming, but the love they return is worth every cent and every second spent on them.

By Lynn D.

Comment Like this photo? 27

Mia is a 10 year old German Shepherd. We adopted her when she was 7 weeks old. Her mom and siblings were living in an awful state. My husband accompanied his cousin to see Mia's sister, Bailey (who sadly, was run over by a tractor 6 weeks later) and couldn't resist bringing her home to me. He knows I'm an old softy!

She likes to be with me all the time wherever I am. Mia was feeling very sorry for herself in this photo as she had just had a stroke two days earlier. Thankfully she has made a complete recovery and we're hoping she's be with us for some time to come!

By EVickers from Leicester, England

Comment Like this photo? 10

Hunter is 3 years old and is a German Shepherd. I got him in August of 2003 from Hidden Springs German Shepherds out of Eugene Oregon

He likes to run, play, chase sticks, and have people make over him.

Hunter is the most unusually mellow German Shepherd we've ever known. Maybe it's because our children are grown and Hunter is now our "kid". I tell him he is truly a Golden Retriever in a German Shepherd suit. He literally loves everyone from the mailman to the gas station attendant, to the UPS man. Even the stranger walking by the house.

What a wonderful dog, and I understand this personality is a trade mark of the International Award winning sire that the breeder uses. We truly will never get another dog like him, ever.

By Carole from Portland, OR

Hunter (German Shepherd)

Comment Like this photo? 2

Sunny is a 7 year old German Shepard. We got her from a pet store. She likes to play with our kids. She is so the best pet ever!

By Jennifer

Comment Like this photo? 20

Zues is 2 years and 8 months old. He is a full bred German Shepard. Zues was a birthday gift for me from a friend. He loves to run in the backyard and go for walks. He is the nicest, most calm German Shepard I have ever known.

Comment Like this photo? 10

Nala is a four year old German Shepard. We got her two years ago from my husband's boss who was going to transfer overseas.

Comment Like this photo? Yes

I went to Erie Pennsylvania and bought Tiger from breeders. Abbie we bought from breeders in West Virginia. They like to play outside in the yard and they like to play fetch.

Tiger and Abbie (German Shepherd)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

I bought Maile from a well renowned breeder in Washington, specializing in working dogs.

Maile with shoulder bags.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

I got him from a rescue mission, 2 years ago.

Lying in an armchair.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 2

Cerebus is a 6 year old pure bred German Shepard. My family adopted Cerebus from our local animal shelter two years ago, in the month of June.

Comment Like this photo? 7

"What are we waiting for " Kafka loves to ride in the car, and we leave the back window open, even in cold weather as she loves to stick her head out the window!

Kafka (German Shepherd)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

This is my beloved pet, Koda. He is a two year old, male German Shepherd born in Hawaii. I adopted him from a rescue when he was little over a year old. If you want to have a well behaved, obedient and loving pet like mine, consistent training is the only way to do it.

Comment Like this photo? Yes

This is my 2 year old German Shepherd "Wim", holding down the couch. It's proof that a large dog can fit on the back of a sofa. He started doing this as a pup and never outgrew it!

Wim (German Shepherd)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

I adopted him. He likes to play tug of war.

Bono lying down

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 6

We got him a month ago. He had been very mistreated and the lady who had found him really did not want a big dog so my boyfriend said we would take him. Duke has greatly improved and is really starting to thrive.

light brown dog wearing sunglasses

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 5

Diesel is a 13 week old German Shepherd. We got him from a friend when he was 5 weeks old. He likes to chase our cat and play with our other dog, Asia. He has a big personality and is so smart.

black German Shepherd

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

I got her in 2010 as a rescue. She likes to ride in the car. Here she is waiting for a ride in the car, like she is saying "What are you waiting for?"

Kafka (German Shepherd)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

We have had her since she was 8 weeks old. She loves to fetch.

closeup of Lucy

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

Delilah and Scarlett (German Shepherds)

Delilah and Scarlett, are both German Shepherds. One is 9 years old and the other is 18 months. I bought Delilah as a pup in 2000 and Scarlett in December 2007 as an eight week old puppy.

Delilah likes to think she's in charge of Scarlett, even though she isn't her mother. Scarlett seems to think Delilah is her mother as well! They love to go chase rabbits at the nearby park, and as we live in small country town there are lots to chase, but they never catch them!

They are spoiled beyond belief, and absolutely inseparable. They are the most lovable pets imaginable and adore children. Scarlett loves to sleep along the end of the bed.

By Lynn from Drysdale, Australia

Answers:

Delilah and Scarlett (German Shepherds)

How beautiful you babies are! We have among our dears two German shepherds, one is Shadow, a 2 year old Black German Shepherd, who is still all puppy, and Dutchess, a tan German Shepherd who is too graceful to act like a puppy at 3 and a half years old. They are our darlings! Yours look so happy here in this photo. I am sending photos of our dears, too!
(05/11/2009)

By Robyn Fed

RE: Delilah and Scarlett (German Shepherds)

Delilah and Scarlett (German Shepherds)

Your girls are so pretty! I'm so glad that Delilah "adopted" Scarlett and that Scarlett let her. Thanks for sharing them with us and God bless you. (05/13/2009)

By tedsmom

Delilah and Scarlett (German Shepherds)

GSDs are the greatest! Your girls are gorgeous! Kato is almost 12 yrs. old and is a long haired German Shepherd. He's great with the grandkids and is our best buddy.

Grandma Jan and Kato the Wonder Dog (05/13/2009)

By javajano

Angel is 19 month old King German Shepard that we got when she was 2 months old. She likes to bike with me, run, swim, run, ball, dog park, beach and go on a treadmill. She tracks different scents well. She is loved so much, just like a family member. I am the pack leader and was trained by Ceaser Milan, the Dog Whisperer. I have a well balanced Shepard.

By Angel from London Ontario