Getting More Life from Batteries

With so many household and personal gadgets requiring batteries, there are ways to save money and the charge. This guide is about getting more life from batteries.

I have several watches. Some for good, some for everyday. When I am not wearing the watches, I pull out the stem and that makes them stop working. This saves on the life of the battery and won't wear them down when they aren't being worn.

By dwedenoja from New Creek, WV

Top Comment

I have done that to my Christmas watches every every year, I pull the stem out, I figured that out on my own, but this year they are down anyway, so I wondered if there is a way to charge them back up, can you do the freezer thing to them ? I have never tried the regular batteries in the freezer, but I heard they work, do they?

Although I always try to use rechargeable batteries, once in a while, I have none charged for my camera and need to buy some if going to an event. I have found that when these batteries die out for the camera, they still work just fine in a less energy demanding item.

I store my batteries in Ziplock bags in the fridge. It's simple enough to just have a different bag for each size. They are easy to access, and supposedly storing them in the fridge will give them longer life! I mostly store them there because then I know where they are!

By Pam T. from Storm Lake, IA

Be sure to bring them up to room temperature (naturally) before placing in device.

When the batteries in my remotes stop working, I open the remote and roll them around.

I have a battery powered drill. A friend told me that if I stored the batteries in their boxes instead of in the drill, they would last longer.

I have a preventative tip to avoid those times when it's difficult to remove the dead batteries from electronics equipment. Whenever I need to replace batteries in anything, I put a long strip of tape around each battery, leaving a "tail" hanging.

a pile of batteries

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Household batteries include both single-use and rechargeable dry cell batteries used to power toys, cameras, radios, flashlights, hearing aids, and many other portable products.

In regards to your tip about putting flashlight batteries in backwards to prevent accidental discharge, many designs of flashlights will allow them to operate even if both batteries are reversed. Also, even one battery reversed will allow discharge if accidentally switched on.

Remote Control Batteries

We find the TV remote controls take a lot of battery power. After a few months, the remotes won't respond to changing the channel, etc. However, those same used batteries are still powerful enough to operate stereo headsets for some time!

By D. Heil

Store Batteries in the Fridge?

One very common tip is to store batteries in the refrigerator or freezer to make them last longer. Both Energizer and Duracell claim this has no impact on battery life and recommend storing batteries in a cool, dry place. One point all battery manufacturers seem to agree on is that batteries shouldn't be stored in extreme heat.

IKEA Batteries

If you live near an IKEA, buy your AA batteries there. They are only $1.95 for a pack of 10 and they perform just as well as the expensive name brands!

By Erin

Bulk Batteries

I buy batteries in bulk and save a bundle over buying the little packages at the grocery store. Costco and I believe Sam's Club both sell large packages of Duracells for a good price.

By Joe

Pencil Eraser

If you take a pencil eraser and rub both ends of the battery, it will make them last a little longer!

By Michelle

Batteries for Toys

On toys, because kids will only play with a toy for a little while then move on, buy the cheapest batteries you can find. Wal-Mart sells some batteries for 96 cents. If you find they use the toy a lot, start using better batteries.

By BrookesMommy

Remove Batteries

Remove batteries from electronics that aren't being used for an extended period of time.

By Rinky

Rechargable Batteries

I use the rechargeable batteries by Rayovac (AA and AAA) in everything and I can say they are worth their weight in gold. I have recharged them literally 100's of times and they just keep working. I have saved hundreds of dollars in battery money. I have 8 batteries and the charger holds 4 and they get switched almost daily. They are more expensive to invest in but over the long haul the difference is unreal.

The only problem I have is the kids use them and sometimes misplace them so now I have them exchange their drained batteries for recharged ones. If they get caught stealing them, they have to buy their own and replace mine. I am tough about that but they cost $10 for 4 batteries. After charging them 100's of times they are worth the price.

The charger was about $20 but it has lasted over 2 years and been dropped, so it is a tough little thing. I really think very highly of these and I am a total critic about where my money goes. I still have the original 8 batteries going and use them in my headphones daily.

By H.J.

Rechargables For Your Camera

Use rechargeable batteries. I bought them for my digital camera and now use them for everything.

By T. BURNS

Make Sure You Get The Right Batteries

Be sure the buy the batteries recommended in your digital camera manual or batteries which specifically state that they can be used in digital cameras. Most digital cameras will work a lot longer with high-end disposable batteries. Lower end batteries may only give you 10 minutes of operation time.

By Fisher

Get To Know Your Batteries

When using a cell phone or cordless phone, learn about the type of battery you have. Some are designed to last longer if continually charged and some will last longer if left to go dead in between charges. Save on the pocket book, and the irritation of battery failure, by getting to know your batteries.

By Barbie

NiCad's

A common battery in cordless phones and computers is nickel-cadmium. Ever wonder why your nickel-cadmium (NiCad's) don't last as long as they should? You may be overcharging them. Most people's tendency is to put the phone back on the charger between uses, or to use their laptop plugged-in instead of running down the battery, never letting the battery run down too far. Over time this will reduce the amount of charge your battery can hold.

To help condition your batteries, let your phone or computer batteries run down once a month to the point that the battery is nearly out of life. Then charge it fully. This will prolong the life of the battery and maintain the length of charge you expect for longer.

Flashlights that Don't Require Batteries

Keep a flashlight in your house that doesn't require batteries. You can buy flashlights that can be charged by winding them up or shaking them. If you run out of batteries, you won't be left in the dark if there is a power outage.

Also See:

Do you have any more tips for saving money on batteries? Please post them below.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

First time here... hope I'm doing this right... anyway, if you have a WinnDixie grocer near you, check their weekly ads on winndixie.com, they often have their batteries on sale, buy one, get one free!

A good tip is if your going to store something like an emergency radio for an extended time put a piece of plastic wrap between the battery contact and the radio contact then close the battery compartment so the plastic is exposed so next time you need the radio just pull the plastic tab.

I tried storing my batteries in the fridge to make them last longer. They actually ended up dying faster.

How long should a battery in a cordless phone last? Mine is just 2 years old and says low battery and will not hold a charge for more than 5 minutes. A new battery for this phone is $26.00. How do you take care of a cordless phone to make the batteries last longer? Is there a way to extend this batteries life? Is there such a thing as a generic phone battery? Thanks for reading and I will appreciate any and all advice.

Helen from Sassy

I would not keep it on the charger all the time when not in use. It may be the same as with cell phones: if you keep charging them they develop a "memory" and don't charge up all the way. Run the battery down....wait until the "battery low" warning comes on every time before you recharge it.

I hope this helps (next time).

Hi. I am not sure how to make the battery last longer but I can tell you the lowest price I have found for batteries. I had to replace mine about a year ago. The website I found charges .99 shipping and I got the batteries super quick!

http://www.batterydepot.com

I have had the same cordless phone with the same battery for 8 years. Sometimes it runs down completely, and sometimes it sits on the phone all the time. I don't really see that it makes a difference.

Your battery seems defective. Based on my experience, they should last a lot longer than 2 years.

Can a watch battery go dead with the stem pulled out? I replaced a bunch of watch batteries and left the stem out on all of them. They went dead after 2 years. How long should they last with stem out? I kind of forgot about them, so was surprised when they were all dead!

By Carol from St. Joseph, MO

Some watches disconnect the power with the stem out, some don't possible. We buy batteries real, real cheap at the flea market.

My question is... Does putting batteries in the freezer extend their life? I have been told that it does. Can someone answer this question. Thank you,

Mary

I read that it is best to keep them at room temperature. They are exposed to moisture in the refrigerator or freezer.

Storing Batteries

Jim Tessmar is the owner of The Battery Hut in Burbank, Calif. Here he offers us advice on how to store batteries properly:

* Myths. According to Tessmar, there are a lot of battery storage myths out there, but the most prevalent one is that you should keep your batteries in the refrigerator or freezer. While this may have been sound advice in the old days, battery technology has changed over the years, and cold storage is no longer the place for batteries.

* Room temperature. The best place to keep batteries is somewhere thats dry and at room temperature, like a kitchen cabinet.

* Heat and flame. Never keep your batteries in extreme heat or near an open flame. Tessmar believes that the chances of explosion due to heat are slim, but it does happen, and youre always better off safe than sorry.

* Long life. Quality batteries are made to have long shelf lives. Stored properly in your kitchen drawer or similar location, batteries can last from 3 to 5 years and still work great when you put them into a device. Many brands have sell-by dates on the package, and these can help you determine if youve still got fresh, strong batteries on your hands.

http://www.fine  _1466497,00.html

This is a cool old school link on the topic

http://american  rvice/003016.htm

As soon as I return home from work, I take my watch off. I always pull the pin out to stop the time and therefore save on battery usage. It only takes a second in the morning to set the time and I won't have to replace the battery as often.

By Kathy from Houston, TX

Answers:

Making a Watch Battery Last Longer

My mornings are busy and I would forget to push it back in. I have never had to replace a battery in any of my watches. By the time they go dead, I am ready for a new style. My watches usually last 3 or more years! Of course my watches don't cost much because I am rough on watches. (05/21/2010)

By Teresa Kay

Making a Watch Battery Last Longer

I have very good watches. My oldest is around 25 years old. Batteries don't go dead so often that I would ever think to save money this way. They usually last YEARS for an $8 investment. (05/21/2010)

By Beth

Making a Watch Battery Last Longer

I would be worried that pushing/pulling the pin daily would shorten the life of the watch. Considering batteries last five or more years, I am not sure I would risk my watch this way. If you are not going to wear it for a period of time, it sounds like a good idea. (05/22/2010)

By Jilson

Would it help my watch battery last longer if I pulled the pin at night so it didn't run for that period of time? I have 2 watches and they always go dead about the same time.

Sandy from Baltimore

Answers:

Making a Watch Battery Last Longer

Yes, most definitely a watch battery will last longer if the stem of the watch is pulled out when not being worn. That is, if you can remember to do it. I have too many watches , of course, mostly inexpensive ones that serve also as jewelry you might say. I switch off watches depending on my outfit and mood. Usually I just don't remember to pull the stem out but when I have done it, the battery has lasted longer. Also, when you pull the stem out, it means having to take a second or two to reset the watch. I guess I usually just don't take the time to mess around with the watches and just take them off and put them on and hope for the best on the battery. By the way, I get my watch batteries changed at Wal-Mart where it is less than $3. That is quite a bit cheaper than having it done at a jeweler. (07/13/2006)

By Debbie52

Making a Watch Battery Last Longer

I have a lot of watches and one day took 8 watches to Walmart to get the batteries replaced and it was $17. That was a lot to spend on batteries at one time, so now I pull the stem every time I take a watch off and it only takes a second to reset it next time you wear it. That was before Christmas and none of the batteries have went out yet! (08/24/2006)

By suzi_homemaker01