Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Getting Rid of Carpenter Bees

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Carpenter bee drilling into wood.

Carpenter bees will attack the wood trim and porches around your home making holes and tunnels for nesting. This is a guide about getting rid of carpenter bees.

Solutions: Getting Rid of Carpenter Bees

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Evicting Carpenter Bees from your Home

I am sharing this to hopefully help someone else out. I came up with this on my own after reading a lot about this problem. These bees had returned outside my home about 16 feet in the air, in a large mass in a small 1/4 inch X 2 foot long gap, going into the trimming on my large house, that is in good shape. They came back every year from about April to September. I had tried several things that didn't work. This is what has worked for me and has kept them away.

Get a bottle of De-Solv-it (at Wal-Mart or Ace Hardware), and DAPtex Plus Multi-Purpose Foam Sealant (shoots with a straw that comes with it). At almost dark, or night with a flashlight - shoot De-Solv-it in the holes. It is greasy like WD40, and most importantly, is in a citrus solution that insects hate. Seal the holes with DAP through the straw, then spray De-Solv-it all over the outside. GENTLY wipe the excess of DAP off, taking only what's on the outside. The Dap on the inside is going to expand and get hard. Don't waste your $ on anything else but this DAP Product I've described, as this one is easy clean up afterwards. It is the only one I've found where you can rinse out the straw and spray nozzle with warm water, and reuse.

Good Luck!

By

Tip: How to Get Rid of Carpenter Bees

It's very easy to do yourself, and it 100% works! I have used this to get rid of Carpenter bees my whole life. You will need a can of WD40 spray, the one with the long sprayer tip at the end works best.

Spray the WD40 into each bee hole. Spray a pretty good amount, and the bees will fall out and die. This will keep the bees gone all year long.

By

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Getting Rid of Carpenter Bees.

Question: Getting Rid of Carpenter Bees

They have infested our house, it's an older home. I am scared to leave my house. They are a bad problem here for me and my kids. My landlord won't do nothing about them. Please help.

By Angel C. from Jarreau, LA

Most Recent Answer

By Linda [37]04/13/2014

We had these on our deck several years ago. The only solution was to plug the holes they bore when they are IN them. We used caulk! Good luck - they never attacked us or 'bit' anyone.

Question: Carpenter Bees in the Basement

I have recently seen 2 buzzing carpenter bees in my finished basement near the window. I killed them and started finding around 12 dead bees of all sizes. What would be killing them? I haven't treated anything because I just figured out what they were. Also I haven't found any holes yet, that really seems odd.
I do have some baby cribs unassembled in the basement with the pre-drilled holes maybe they are living in there.

By Becky

Most Recent Answer

By Kathy [53]06/26/2013

I have them on my wooden deck and wooden front porch. After they get done boring holes in the wood, they die.

Question: Carpenter Bee Neighborhood Issue

We have a huge carpenter bee issue at home. They love our wood deck, cedar trim, and composite siding. I cannot go outside with my kids to play (2 and 1 yr) because they attack us. We paid someone to treat them last year and they are back. If we use your products and are able to rid them from our house, how do we keep them from coming back since our neighbors and neighborhood is infested with them? They are everywhere! Even walking down the side walk, they will chase you. I get attacked everyday I try to get our mail (from our wooden mailbox). I am so frustrated.

By Nicole H

Most Recent Answer

By Karen [2]05/06/2013

Stuff their holes with plain steel wool as tight as you can pack it. They can't chew through it and will leave if they are outside the hole and die if they are inside. You have my sympathy, as they are chewing my treated and stained deck and my painted wood front porch to death. Will have to replace my front porch soon, unfortunately, thanks to the bees.

Question: Getting Rid of Wood Bees

How do I get rid of wood bees and protect against their return.

By Bruce

Most Recent Answer

By Bizkit04/29/2014

This type of bee is a loner bee unless it mates. The female bees can sting you but will only do so if they are being attacked, like being cupped in your hand or stepped on. The male bee does not even have a stinger and cannot sting you but will dive bomb you in an aggressive attack to scare you. The also do not live in the ground.

Bumble bees live in the ground in a nest or rodent hole. And they swarm. It is very difficult to tell apart these bees. But if they are carpenter bees don't be terrified of them. If they honeycomb your wood then you have to deal with them. WD40 or insecticide. If your neighbors have them put a new coat of stain on your porch and they won't dig into it. Hope that helps.

Question: Getting Rid of Carpenter Bees

I have carpenter bees making many holes in my back porch. I can't even sit out there without being buzzed several times around my head. The bees aren't aggressive to the point where they act as if they're going to sting me or anything; but I'd like to be able to enjoy my back porch without the continuous whirring sound. How do I get rid of these carpenter bees?

By Crzybaby71 from USA

Best Answers

By Sheila [3]05/26/2011

They will bore their way back out and the female will sting. It's the female that drills in the wood, the males are the ones you usually seeing hovering around. They bored in our wooden screen door, we sprayed, then patched the hole, the bees drilled another hole below the original hole and I saw three come out! I searched getting rid of these bees and found a video on Youtube of how to make traps with a 20oz drink bottle and six small pieces of wood. My husband made some and in a couple of days the bees were being trapped in there, then you just open the cap and discard the dead bees. You can buy these traps at hardware stores.

Best Answers

By looneylulu [14]05/24/2011

Wait till evening when they return to the holes they are drilling and spray them.

Question: Carpenter Bees Damaging My Home

Carpenter bees (look similar to bumble bees) are making Swiss cheese of my house. I took up all my azaleas and other flowers, hoping the bees would move on, but that seemed to make no difference at all! Also, most of their holes are underneath my porch railing in an area too tight to get a shot into the holes with any kind of spray.

Every day there are fresh piles of sawdust all along under my porch railing. I tried using duct tape to tape squares of plastic (cut from milk jugs) over each hole, using a mirror to see the holes. I was amazed to see that they cut a nice neat round hole right through the tape and plastic. Any ideas?

I have resorted to standing guard with bee spray and flyswatter, taking out one bee at a time. Help!

By Debra

Best Answers

By Judy [1]05/12/2011

I read that if you just plug the hole, that they can bore on through. My husband puts a shot of ordinary caulk in the hole and it seems to work. i guess they can't take all that goo!

Best Answers

By Karen Jones05/11/2011

I used to have a large infestation of carpenter bees. This year this is only a handful. What I did was to put undiluted white vinegar in a spray bottle. Using the stream setting, spray vinegar into the hole until it runs out and then stuff it with cotton or anything that will plug the hole. This year for the new holes, I am going to use the vinegar and instead of cotton I will use steel wool to plug the holes. The number of carpenter bees has diminished greatly. Hope that this year I will be rid of them entirely.

Best Answers

By sandy05/11/2011

Try these traps ordered online. The carpenter bees were eating holes in my shutters. Wish I had found these sooner.

Buy Traps Online

Question: Getting Rid of Wood Bees

How do I get rid of carpenter bees?

Hardiness Zone: 7b

By tntz71 from Charlotte, NC

Most Recent Answer

By waxhaw05/03/2012

I have found a real solution. Spray WD-40 into the hole. Yo need to use the one with the stick on the nozzle. Put the stick into the hole and spray a good amount. The bees will come out and fall to the ground dead. It also kills the larvae they lay in the holes. That is why they are boring in the first place.

If you spray the WD-40 on the bare wood, they will not go around it. I sprayed it all under my deck and they have not come back. Try it! A family member from up north told me to do this and it has worked great for me!!

Question: Bees Drilling Into a Wooden Porch

I have some bees on my front porch that drill holes in the wood overhead that holds the porch cover. The holes are perfectly round and deep, they leave saw dust all over from their drilling. Does anyone know what kind of bee this is, or how to get rid of it?

By patt2tz from TX

Most Recent Answer

By waxhaw05/03/2012

If you spray the WD-40 on the bare wood, they will not go around it. I sprayed it all under my deck and they have not come back. Try it! A family member from up north told me to do this and it has worked great for me!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Getting Rid of Wood Bees

Does anyone know what to do to get rid of wood bees that bore into the rafters of outbuildings?

Rosie from Martin, TN

RE: Getting Rid of Wood Bees

These bees are actually called Carpenter Bees. Go to this site: http://www.carpenterbees.com/. It has extensive information about these bees, their habits, and more importantly, how to get rid of them.

Good Luck! (03/20/2006)

By Marnita

RE: Getting Rid of Wood Bees

I had the same bees at my house, the outside had barn boards on it. The only way I got rid of them was to hire a pest control company. My neighbour did it him self and they came back. Good Luck. (03/21/2006)

By Scaryone

RE: Getting Rid of Wood Bees

The summer after my husband completed our new back porch, we began having these big bees. I'm not certain if they are exactly what is bothering you, but a dear friend of mine gave me this hint she had learned from a few Dunkard women she met at a craft sale.

Hang a few clear plastic bags, filled 1/2 to 3/4 full of clear water, around the immediate area. I used Ziploc qt. size baggies (3) and hung them on each side and on the front beam as well, using thumbtacks to hold in place. I don't know why it works, but it did work! We still saw bees come around, but they would fly away once they saw the bags of water. (04/03/2006)

By Debbie

RE: Getting Rid of Wood Bees

To get rid of carpenter bees aka wood bees, use a 5% Sevin dust. If it's possible, put the dust into the holes at night when they rest, then in about 24-48 hours, cover the hole with wood putty so they are trapped. Have fun!
(04/19/2006)

By Jess

RE: Getting Rid of Wood Bees

I called a bee man and he said to put WD-40 in each one of their holes, you can tell their homes by the dung that is coming out of it. It not only got rid of them, but helps in the cleaning of the left over bee dung. Good luck.
(04/23/2008)

By lorijean

RE: Getting Rid of Wood Bees

I tried the WD 40 thing and so far it is working. Females came out of the holes and died within a few minutes. Too early to tell about the eggs or males, but I will follow up soon! (06/13/2008)

By csamsham2004

Archive: Getting Rid of Wood Bees

How can I keep wood bees from drilling holes in the rafters on my deck?

By de1548 from Murray, KY

RE: Getting Rid of Wood Bees

There is good info here on ThriftyFun about these bees and how to get rid of them. They are carpenter bees, sometimes called borer bees. My neighbor had them boring into the eaves of her house. They fixed the eaves, but the bees came back. Then I saw a woodpecker going at the same places. Turns out when the babies hatch they make so much noise they attract woodpeckers. They definitely come back to the same spot every year. We had a wooden patio cover that they would bore into. We removed that last year and the bees are continuously coming around looking for the patio cover. Search for info on this site because it could get expensive if you don' get them under control. By TraceyI

RE: Getting Rid of Wood Bees

Chemical control involves nerves of steel. Not everybody wants to spray in the hole while the huge bees are buzzing around. Here's a decent article on carpenter bees. I hope it helps. pestcemetery.com

Good luck. (09/17/2009)

By Dutch 1962

Archive: Getting Rid of Wood Bees

What type bee spray can I use on wood bees that would kill them?

By Dave from Menands, NY

RE: Getting Rid of Wood Bees

Any insecticide forced into the nest hole will work, do it at night. You can also pour some fingernail polish remover on a cotton ball and stuff that into the hole; that will work. Paint or seal the exposed wood to keep them from nesting in the future. (05/04/2010)

By larflu