Browsing: Getting Rid of Carpenter Bees

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Rid of Carpenter Bees

Carpenter bees will attack the wood trim and porches around your home making holes and tunnels for nesting. This is a guide about getting rid of carpenter bees.

Carpenter bee drilling into wood.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 9, 2016 Flag

How to bumout and discourage carpenter bees. Cover their nesting tunnel holes with duct tape. Here's how:

1. Buy a heavy duty, tough, pro grade brand of tape such as "Nashua 557"(not dollar store type)

2. Tear off two pieces, each about 3 inches long, enough to cover two bee holes.

3. Stick one end of one piece over hole. Press down hard onto wood beam. Take the second piece and stick it over the first one, making two layers. Press down hard.

Now wait for the diligent little sucker to start trying to 'break out' because he/she thinks "heck it's just thin cloth. Voila"! Eventually, it's little white nose will poke through a small hole in the thick sticky wall. Then it will probably, foolishly try to squeeze its body out when the hole is just barely large enough.

There's a "sticky" little problem here because it's hairy torso will become hopelessly glued in the tape's tough adhesive and here it will probably remain till death, unable to get out or back into the tunnel again. (This will be a nano-trophy-for the vindictive!)

However, if you're in a hurry and don't need any nano trophies. When you see there's a hole started in the tape - just peel your tape up, move it over an inch and stick it down once again. This forces the poor little critter to start clawing at the stinky, powerful adhesive wall all over again. Soon you'll notice bees moving away from places of human activity (such as your deck railing)! :)

Discouraging Carpenter Bees

June 3, 2013 Flag

It's very easy to do yourself, and it 100% works! I have used this to get rid of Carpenter bees my whole life. You will need a can of WD40 spray, the one with the long sprayer tip at the end works best.

Spray the WD40 into each bee hole. Spray a pretty good amount, and the bees will fall out and die. This will keep the bees gone all year long.

May 27, 2015 Flag

A weathered 4x4 is best to make this trap to reduce the number of carpenter bees at your place.

Carpenter Bee Trap

May 10, 2011 Flag

Carpenter bees (look similar to bumble bees) are making Swiss cheese of my house. I took up all my azaleas and other flowers, hoping the bees would move on, but that seemed to make no difference at all! Also, most of their holes are underneath my porch railing in an area too tight to get a shot into the holes with any kind of spray.

Every day there are fresh piles of sawdust all along under my porch railing. I tried using duct tape to tape squares of plastic (cut from milk jugs) over each hole, using a mirror to see the holes. I was amazed to see that they cut a nice neat round hole right through the tape and plastic. Any ideas?

I have resorted to standing guard with bee spray and flyswatter, taking out one bee at a time. Help!

By Debra

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I used to have a large infestation of carpenter bees. This year this is only a handful. What I did was to put undiluted white vinegar in a spray bottle. Using the stream setting, spray vinegar into the hole until it runs out and then stuff it with cotton or anything that will plug the hole. This year for the new holes, I am going to use the vinegar and instead of cotton I will use steel wool to plug the holes. The number of carpenter bees has diminished greatly. Hope that this year I will be rid of them entirely.

Best Answer

I read that if you just plug the hole, that they can bore on through. My husband puts a shot of ordinary caulk in the hole and it seems to work. i guess they can't take all that goo!

I just tried the caulk. That bugger popped it out and kept on chewing

May 24, 2011 Flag

I have carpenter bees making many holes in my back porch. I can't even sit out there without being buzzed several times around my head. The bees aren't aggressive to the point where they act as if they're going to sting me or anything; but I'd like to be able to enjoy my back porch without the continuous whirring sound. How do I get rid of these carpenter bees?

By Crzybaby71 from USA

Best Answer

Wait till evening when they return to the holes they are drilling and spray them.

Best Answer

They will bore their way back out and the female will sting. It's the female that drills in the wood, the males are the ones you usually seeing hovering around. They bored in our wooden screen door, we sprayed, then patched the hole, the bees drilled another hole below the original hole and I saw three come out! I searched getting rid of these bees and found a video on Youtube of how to make traps with a 20oz drink bottle and six small pieces of wood. My husband made some and in a couple of days the bees were being trapped in there, then you just open the cap and discard the dead bees. You can buy these traps at hardware stores.

Soak a cotton ball with wasp spray you will have to tear it in two and fill the hole they wont bee back till next yea

May 5, 2014 Flag

These bees had come back every year from about April to September. I had tried several things that didn't work. This is what has worked for me and has kept them away.

April 3, 2015 Flag

How do I recognize honey bees versus wood bees?

By Ed from Naples, FL

They say males won't sting and it is extremely rare for females to sting but when I was younger I was stung by a carpenter bee just walking through the yard. A few hours later I started feeling really weak, dizzy and nauseas then I couldn't stop throwing up (violently and non-stop). I was taken to the ER where I was in serious bad shape and almost died. I have them all in and around my deck and they are very aggressive. They will beat on the screen door (flying into it) trying to get at me if I am standing at the door from inside. Everything you read says they can't or won't sting but I won't take a chance after what happened before when I got stung. I didn't think I was gonna make it!

What you had an encounter with was bumblebees. Google them and you will see that they resemble Carpenter bees, but instead of nesting in wood, they nest in old rodent holes, leaf piles, stone fences, and sometimes aboveground in sheds, or other protected structures with an opening. My brother got a nest in the rumbleseat of a rusty old vintage car he was trying to restore! And they do sting. They are very territorial, and will swarm out if you get near or disturb the nest area.

Wood bees are much bigger and boar holes into wood .

June 2, 2015 Flag

Forget the other tips about building a bird house-like trap with a soda bottle on the bottom, to entrap and kill carpenter bees. I built one, and mounted it right next to the existing bee hole. They buzzed around it and checked it out, but not a single bee ever entered it.

March 15, 2015 Flag

How do I get rid of carpenter bees?

By Ray

If you can locate the holes they are going into, spray wd-40 into the hole using the attached straw, then step back! The female will fall out & be dead when it hits the ground. 2 years ago I sprayed & killed almost 40 of them. The following year there were very few around!

Spraying is the answer, but you want to do it at a time when the nest is full and the bees are inactive - at night when it is colder.

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control InsectsFebruary 12, 2013
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Carpenter Ant
Getting Rid of Carpenter Ants
bee on a flower
The Benefits of Bees in Your Garden
bumblebee
Getting Rid of Bees
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 12:08:49 AM on 10.0.1.55 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.