Getting Rid of Opossums

Opossums are quite adaptable and can thrive near people, munching on vegetable garden produce and nesting under houses and sheds. This is a guide about getting rid of opossums.

April 29, 2014 Flag

After being woken up at 2:00 am the morning before, I was quoted $389 for removal from a wildlife specialist to trap the things. I did an internet search and found this tip.

I placed ammonia soaked rags in bowls at the entries of crawl space vents in the wall where the opossum was entering the space yesterday afternoon. At 7:44 am this morning, I was woken by a muffled moving sound under my bedroom floor. I got up and went to the family room and spied mother opossum pulling the last of her 10 babies out of the hole in the wall of my home. Babies safely on her back, she lumbered to the backyard fence and disappeared into my neighbors' yard. I promptly blocked all of the holes with aluminum vents with screens, attaching them to wall with Liquid Nails.

Total cost to me? $21.00 for ammonia, painters rags, 6 aluminum vents covers and a tube of Liquid Nails. It will be nice to know no more critters of any sort will get under my house again. Peaceful sleep at night? Priceless.

Source: http://www.ehow.com/how_12128742_driving-possum-out-crawlspace.html

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

brilliant!

January 14, 2009 Flag

I tried to catch this guy 3 nights in a row with no success. So last night I put a trail of bread OUTSIDE the cage and then a trail of bread going INSIDE the cage. Well, just like Hansel and Gretel, he followed the bread crumbs all the way into the cage far enough to trip the door closed. This morning, I took him over to the woods about 3 miles away from my house and let him go. I hope he doesn't find his way back any time soon. Here is a photo of him and I don't think he looks very happy, do you?

By Florida Gal from Spring Hill, FL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm going to try rat traps. I'll let everyone know if it works.

The Virginia Opossum is probably one of the most docile and beneficial of creatures in that it prefers to scavenge on carrion and does not generally kill. There is more of a possibility that another predator is killing the chickens. Making a chicken coop predator-proof is the only real way to protect the chickens and this is easily accomplished by using 1/2" hardware cloth on the top, bottom and all sides. We need to realize that the wild predators are only acting by their instincts and we need to be the smarter by having caging that foils any attempts at the chickens.

Any mammal can have rabies, however, studies have shown that the opossum is very low on the list of species. We should all exercise caution when dealing with a wild animal. As for an opossum being aggressive with humans (and other animals) they will definitely snarl, growl and drool and if you get close enough they will bite, as will any wild animal. Their biggest defense is to "play possum" which actually is where the animal goes into a trance for a short period of time. They will do this if their growling and snarling does not chase the predator away.

As a licensed wildlife rehabilitator I try to educate the public on ways to co-exist with wildlife and we need to realize that we have been entrusted as stewards of this planet and need to act accordingly. Instead of blaming a species for normal behavior we need to use our intellect to figure out ways to co-exist with the wildlife.

Read More Comments...

May 21, 2015 Flag

I caught and released, about 3 miles from home, a possum. Can it find its way back here?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It's not likely. I had a nest of eight (yes, eight) possums make their home under my house one year. I managed to trap them one by one in a homemade thingamabob I rigged up and released them all in the same spot a few miles away from our house. (Most of them were about half grown, so I was pretty sure they were a family and I wanted them to be in the same geographical area.) Since it was wooded with a fresh water source nearby I was pretty sure they'd prefer that spot to ours, which was in the middle of a town of 15,000. None came back.

We have no possums up here in Canada, so I am interested to know if it comes back as well. Only time will tell, I guess! Although how will you tell if it is the same one, or another one that has moved in?

Just read the information on how to get rid of possums which I will try out this evening! Thanks so much for these helpful hints

Read More Answers...

October 5, 2013 Flag

How can I get rid of the huge mom possum that lives in my pine tree? It killed 2 of my cats. It's as big as a dog! I had 3 outdoor cats when I bought my townhome. It's in a historical area and I am next to a field, that's lovely. The neighbors and I took the stray cats under our wing; they were good mousers and mole killers. I give them food, shelter, shots, etc. But this spring one cried every night to come in. I never saw it so scared. Soon I found out why. I saw what I thought was an average possum and I thought ran it off. Wrong. The last two cats were maimed so badly (leg and tails) literally chewed off. I later saw the monster mama. I have 1 cat left. I can't bring him inside. I have a cat that has never lived outside, etc. How do I get rid of all opossums without running off the kitty?

By Molley H.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have the same problem but has not killed any of my cats that I have in a 20 by 10 kennel outside. I did see one in their kennel not long ago but it was not a large one. My cats out in the kennel are 14 plus and too old to kill like they did years ago when babies would get in there. I pray someone can give us an anwser.

You will have to either set a trap/cage yourself to catch it and then call the animal control to pick it up, or call them to do it, if they will. You can buy the trap/cage at hardware stores or a garden/pet stors. Hope this helps.

Please let me know what answer you find about this issue. I have a possum under my deck and my cat has been missing for six days. I don't know what to do I don't want to set a trap in case she is still out there somewhere wanting to come home

Read More Answers...

May 1, 2014 Flag

I had a flashlight on an opossum and it came to me. What do I do? I was outside with a flashlight and I saw what I thought was a big cat, but when I put the light on it, it started to come to me. When I ran to my door it was at the side of the house; it was a opossum and it looked at me.

By Dannilea S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

They used to be part of a certain section of the country, but here in MN, we have seen them as well. One was on my patio in town, had my dog out late at night to pee, on a leash. She got angry about something in the yard, which started hissing, etc. I grabbed the leash and pulled dog to the house quickly, grabbed the baseball bat, not knowing what was in front of me. Saw it was the possum. Talked to the DNR and also the vet. That thing could have mauled my large dog to pieces. So, if you live in town, consult your local animal officer or the police.

I had one house (in the middle of a small town) that was vacant for a year and a possum set up house keeping in the back yard. When my son started cleaning up the possum would show up every night but generally did not cause a problem as there were no small animals or children around. One night the possum tried to attack my son and he realized she had babies. He called every department in city/county government for assistance or just help in what he should do.

No one could give him any help except to tell him they could/would not help him.

Their advice was to call a private company to catch the possum. He ask how much these companies charge and was informed their charges usually started at 75.00 and went from there according to how long it took them and how many possums they had to catch. Being a humane person my son would not remove the mother and leave the babies so we just waited for 2 months but he continued to clean the yard etc.

At the end of 2 months my son bought a medium size animal trap, put it out at night with bait (not sure what he used) but he did catch the mother possum. He had to buy very thick gloves to even be able to pick up the cage. He finally had to get a friend and they put a pole through the handle and loaded the cage in the back of a pickup truck.

They carried the possum about 25 miles to a government owned wooded area and released her. We kept looking for one of the babies but none ever appeared. We have no idea as to where they went. Your government agencies may help you but I doubt it as they would not accept this possum even in a cage.

Be very careful whatever you do as they can be dangerous!

Possums will definitely catch small animals if they are hungry. It seems Possums usually like to stay in trees and generally come out at night to look for food.

Possums have extremely bad eye sight, which is why some act aggressively. I used to work at animal services/control, and was told that it was extremely rare for them to have rabies- cats and dogs get rabies far more often than possums. Check your city codes; in some places, it's illegal to catch and release animals such as possums. If not, a trap is the best way to do it.

Read More Answers...

October 27, 2011 Flag

Is there a home remedy that doesn't cost a fortune to get rid of possums? I have a family of possums that have made a home under and in the walls of the house. Is there a easy way to run them off, a smell or a chemical they can't handle being around? That is really all I know to put down. Please and thank you.

By Terry

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Moth balls scattered where they enter and leave may help. If they are under the house, throw the moth balls under the house in a circle around this area. It may take a few days, but this works on mice and skunks, too.

Moth balls do not work.... I am having the same problem an i have tried every thing... An one when its vixen to be that time of the month fir me I have to leave my house because they start surrounding my bedroom in the walls an in the floor. Sniffing an snorting at me.

I have heard they dislike the smell of moth balls and ammonia.

Read More Answers...

February 9, 2008 Flag

We have opossums in our roof, and we don't know how to get rid of them. Can you please advise, because we can't sleep at night?

Wala S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

While riding my harley down a road I never had been on before I saw a possum that had been hit by a car. As I drove slowly by it because I cant stand to see any animal die or suffer I saw something about 2 1/2 - 3 inches on top of her. I turned my bike around and saw it was a baby trying to get to her mammas teat.

4 Babies that didn't survive laid next to her, so I dug in her pouch and found 5 more babies alive. I put them in my saddlebags and went straight home. Got on the computer and found out how to take care of them so I had 6 little mickey mouse looking babies for 3 1/2 weeks, hand fed, used a warm washcloth to rub their stomachs lightly, this helps digest their food and go poop, (a replacement for their moms licking them to get their stomachs active) then I gave 5 to a wild animals rescue and kept skeeter.

They say they live 2 years but she lived almost 3 1/2. They do not have or get rabies because their blood temperature is to low. Anyways I made her her baby habitat and a little Harley hammock and when she got big we took our big closet took off the doors, I painted a palm tree, we built levels and ramps up to her now adult hammock and she loved it. I could nibble on her ears, kiss her face, she loved me to rub her little feet which are like little human hands. My mom watched her on my weeks vacation and when i came home she grabbed me so tight and made little crying noises.

We would take her to mc donalds for her own hamburger and fries. She loved them. After 3 1/2 years she got cancer so bad I had to have her put to final sleep and that still tears me up to this day. She was my baby and I will always love her. I'm showing a picture now but be sure to check out the contest because I have entered her in that. Here she is, a fat sable teddy bear. Skeeter

I have one in my bathroom vent and i could never ever even think about keeping one as a pet. They look like huge rats and that's gross but i give u props 4 ur bravery. I've been trying to get someone 2 come out and get it out of the vent. They still haven't came yet and I put in a work order at 5:30a.m this morning. Help please

Well, I feel for any animal but I have to say how scared my son and I was tonight when we duscovered one down inside his ac vent in his bedroom. ( we rent a mobile home in southwest texas.)

And I have no idea of what to do other than having a very heavy object covering the open hole that did have a non attached vent cover....

Read More Answers...

May 24, 2011 Flag

Even though we live inside the city in a fully inhabited neighborhood, we seem to have an opossum (and I'm told possibly babies, too) roaming at night. I have not only seen evidence of it (you know what I mean), but I have seen it on the neighbor's porch. What can I do? Thanks for any help.

Dennis in Texas

By DennisAndEstelle

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can be grateful because they eat snails. They might be pesty in that they will eat pet food left outside and garbage. Please do not hurt them. They mean you no harm.

I leave food scraps out for them myself, and try to catch a glimpse of them feeding. They are harmless to pets and people as well. They don't even carry rabies the way foxes do. I love nature.

Go to Acadamy and buy a big animal trap & set it up in a likely spot where they can get to & put a small amount of cat in a small can of cat food, place it inside of the trap on the far side of the spring door where it enters, set the trap before going to bed & maybe the next morning you will have one caught.

Read More Answers...

April 22, 2010 Flag

What can I spray on my passion fruit to get rid of possums?

Hardiness Zone: 1

By Jim from Australia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It would be unfair and cruel to take them into another area as they are extremely territorial. Any program I have seen where they rescue possums they always return them to the place they found them. As for deterring them from your fruit - I'm not sure how that would be achieved.

Well I do know now for a fact that possums do kill ducks. And I hate them. I will/am going to do whatever it takes to get rid of this possum under the house. Move, kill, or whatever.

For those who say cats and opossums don't bother any one or anything, they are wrong. Just saw a opossum kill my new baby kitty right in front of me. Couldn't get to it fast enough. My heart hurts and opossums suck.

Read More Answers...

October 25, 2013 Flag

I have heard chewing on my a/c vents under my mobile home late at night. Could the animal be an opossum? I've seen one on my front porch (not afraid of automatic light on porch) and in the tree over my house.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control Small WildlifeSeptember 18, 2012
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
Opossum on Fence
Opossum Information and Photos
iTunes icon on a phone
Getting Rid of Duplicates in iTunes
🎉
🎄