Getting Rid of Opossums

Opossums are quite adaptable and can thrive near people, munching on vegetable garden produce and nesting under houses and sheds. This is a guide about getting rid of opossums.

April 29, 2014 Flag

After being woken up at 2:00 am the morning before, I was quoted $389 for removal from a wildlife specialist to trap the things. I did an internet search and found this tip.

I placed ammonia soaked rags in bowls at the entries of crawl space vents in the wall where the opossum was entering the space yesterday afternoon. At 7:44 am this morning, I was woken by a muffled moving sound under my bedroom floor. I got up and went to the family room and spied mother opossum pulling the last of her 10 babies out of the hole in the wall of my home. Babies safely on her back, she lumbered to the backyard fence and disappeared into my neighbors' yard. I promptly blocked all of the holes with aluminum vents with screens, attaching them to wall with Liquid Nails.

Total cost to me? $21.00 for ammonia, painters rags, 6 aluminum vents covers and a tube of Liquid Nails. It will be nice to know no more critters of any sort will get under my house again. Peaceful sleep at night? Priceless.

January 14, 2009 Flag

Opossum in a CageI tried to catch this guy 3 nights in a row with no success. So last night I put a trail of bread OUTSIDE the cage and then a trail of bread going INSIDE the cage. Well, just like Hansel and Gretel, he followed the bread crumbs all the way into the cage far enough to trip the door closed. This morning, I took him over to the woods about 3 miles away from my house and let him go. I hope he doesn't find his way back any time soon. Here is a photo of him and I don't think he looks very happy, do you?

By Florida Gal from Spring Hill, FL

I'm going to try rat traps. I'll let everyone know if it works.

May 21, 2015 Flag

I caught and released, about 3 miles from home, a possum. Can it find its way back here?

We have no possums up here in Canada, so I am interested to know if it comes back as well. Only time will tell, I guess! Although how will you tell if it is the same one, or another one that has moved in?

May 1, 2014 Flag

I had a flashlight on an opossum and it came to me. What do I do? I was outside with a flashlight and I saw what I thought was a big cat, but when I put the light on it, it started to come to me. When I ran to my door it was at the side of the house; it was a opossum and it looked at me.

By Dannilea S.

I had one house (in the middle of a small town) that was vacant for a year and a possum set up house keeping in the back yard. When my son started cleaning up the possum would show up every night but generally did not cause a problem as there were no small animals or children around. One night the possum tried to attack my son and he realized she had babies. He called every department in city/county government for assistance or just help in what he should do.

No one could give him any help except to tell him they could/would not help him.

Their advice was to call a private company to catch the possum. He ask how much these companies charge and was informed their charges usually started at 75.00 and went from there according to how long it took them and how many possums they had to catch. Being a humane person my son would not remove the mother and leave the babies so we just waited for 2 months but he continued to clean the yard etc.

At the end of 2 months my son bought a medium size animal trap, put it out at night with bait (not sure what he used) but he did catch the mother possum. He had to buy very thick gloves to even be able to pick up the cage. He finally had to get a friend and they put a pole through the handle and loaded the cage in the back of a pickup truck.

They carried the possum about 25 miles to a government owned wooded area and released her. We kept looking for one of the babies but none ever appeared. We have no idea as to where they went. Your government agencies may help you but I doubt it as they would not accept this possum even in a cage.

Be very careful whatever you do as they can be dangerous!

Possums will definitely catch small animals if they are hungry. It seems Possums usually like to stay in trees and generally come out at night to look for food.

October 5, 2013 Flag

How can I get rid of the huge mom possum that lives in my pine tree? It killed 2 of my cats. It's as big as a dog! I had 3 outdoor cats when I bought my townhome. It's in a historical area and I am next to a field, that's lovely. The neighbors and I took the stray cats under our wing; they were good mousers and mole killers. I give them food, shelter, shots, etc. But this spring one cried every night to come in. I never saw it so scared. Soon I found out why. I saw what I thought was an average possum and I thought ran it off. Wrong. The last two cats were maimed so badly (leg and tails) literally chewed off. I later saw the monster mama. I have 1 cat left. I can't bring him inside. I have a cat that has never lived outside, etc. How do I get rid of all opossums without running off the kitty?

By Molley H.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have the same problem but has not killed any of my cats that I have in a 20 by 10 kennel outside. I did see one in their kennel not long ago but it was not a large one. My cats out in the kennel are 14 plus and too old to kill like they did years ago when babies would get in there. I pray someone can give us an anwser.

October 27, 2011 Flag

Is there a home remedy that doesn't cost a fortune to get rid of possums? I have a family of possums that have made a home under and in the walls of the house. Is there a easy way to run them off, a smell or a chemical they can't handle being around? That is really all I know to put down. Please and thank you.

By Terry

Moth balls do not work.... I am having the same problem an i have tried every thing... An one when its vixen to be that time of the month fir me I have to leave my house because they start surrounding my bedroom in the walls an in the floor. Sniffing an snorting at me.

February 9, 2008 Flag

We have opossums in our roof, and we don't know how to get rid of them. Can you please advise, because we can't sleep at night?

Wala S.

I have one in my bathroom vent and i could never ever even think about keeping one as a pet. They look like huge rats and that's gross but i give u props 4 ur bravery. I've been trying to get someone 2 come out and get it out of the vent. They still haven't came yet and I put in a work order at 5:30a.m this morning. Help please

May 24, 2011 Flag

Even though we live inside the city in a fully inhabited neighborhood, we seem to have an opossum (and I'm told possibly babies, too) roaming at night. I have not only seen evidence of it (you know what I mean), but I have seen it on the neighbor's porch. What can I do? Thanks for any help.

Dennis in Texas

By DennisAndEstelle

I leave food scraps out for them myself, and try to catch a glimpse of them feeding. They are harmless to pets and people as well. They don't even carry rabies the way foxes do. I love nature.

April 22, 2010 Flag

What can I spray on my passion fruit to get rid of possums?

Hardiness Zone: 1

By Jim from Australia

Well I do know now for a fact that possums do kill ducks. And I hate them. I will/am going to do whatever it takes to get rid of this possum under the house. Move, kill, or whatever.

October 25, 2013 Flag

I have heard chewing on my a/c vents under my mobile home late at night. Could the animal be an opossum? I've seen one on my front porch (not afraid of automatic light on porch) and in the tree over my house.

By Lyn

Yes! We had the same problem last spring. A baby actually got into the house and scared the daylights out of me. We went under the house and sprinkled some moth balls (not a good idea). Got rid of the problem, but created a new one with moth ball smell getting into the house.

September 13, 2010 Flag

My neighbor has an opossum in her house under her garden tub. We have set live traps with no luck. Is there any other way to run it off?

By new prospect tenn from New Prospect, Tn

A live trap is your best bet. Try different bait. My dad just caught a two possum over the past month living under our house with a head of lettuce that was going bad. Remember, a opposum is a scavenger and will eat whatever attracts it's nose.

November 24, 2012 Flag

I have been raising feral kittens and now they are big cats. In my yard, I noticed one night an opossum and then two opossums. I am very scared now to go out in my yard.

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control Small WildlifeSeptember 18, 2012
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
Opossum on Fence
Opossum Information and Photos
iTunes icon on a phone
Getting Rid of Duplicates in iTunes