Getting Rid of Opossums

Getting Rid of Opossums
Opossums are quite adaptable and can thrive near people, munching on vegetable garden produce and nesting under houses and sheds. This is a guide about getting rid of opossums.

I tried to catch this guy 3 nights in a row with no success. So last night I put a trail of bread OUTSIDE the cage and then a trail of bread going INSIDE the cage. Well, just like Hansel and Gretel, he followed the bread crumbs all the way into the cage far enough to trip the door closed. This morning, I took him over to the woods about 3 miles away from my house and let him go. I hope he doesn't find his way back any time soon. Here is a photo of him and I don't think he looks very happy, do you?

By Florida Gal from Spring Hill, FL

After being woken up at 2:00 am the morning before, I was quoted $389 for removal from a wildlife specialist to trap the things. I did an internet search and found this tip.

I placed ammonia soaked rags in bowls at the entries of crawl space vents in the wall where the opossum was entering the space yesterday afternoon. At 7:44 am this morning, I was woken by a muffled moving sound under my bedroom floor. I got up and went to the family room and spied mother opossum pulling the last of her 10 babies out of the hole in the wall of my home. Babies safely on her back, she lumbered to the backyard fence and disappeared into my neighbors' yard. I promptly blocked all of the holes with aluminum vents with screens, attaching them to wall with Liquid Nails.

Total cost to me? $21.00 for ammonia, painters rags, 6 aluminum vents covers and a tube of Liquid Nails. It will be nice to know no more critters of any sort will get under my house again. Peaceful sleep at night? Priceless.

Source: http://www.ehow.com/how_12128742_driving-possum-out-crawlspace.html

How can I get rid of the huge mom possum that lives in my pine tree? It killed 2 of my cats. It's as big as a dog! I had 3 outdoor cats when I bought my townhome. It's in a historical area and I am next to a field, that's lovely. The neighbors and I took the stray cats under our wing; they were good mousers and mole killers. I give them food, shelter, shots, etc. But this spring one cried every night to come in. I never saw it so scared. Soon I found out why. I saw what I thought was an average possum and I thought ran it off. Wrong. The last two cats were maimed so badly (leg and tails) literally chewed off. I later saw the monster mama. I have 1 cat left. I can't bring him inside. I have a cat that has never lived outside, etc. How do I get rid of all opossums without running off the kitty?

By Molley H.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

I have the same problem but has not killed any of my cats that I have in a 20 by 10 kennel outside. I did see one in their kennel not long ago but it was not a large one. My cats out in the kennel are 14 plus and too old to kill like they did years ago when babies would get in there. I pray someone can give us an anwser.

We have opossums in our roof, and we don't know how to get rid of them. Can you please advise, because we can't sleep at night?

Wala S.

Answers

I live in Houston and while I've never had 'possum problems i am reminded of the time that the golf course behind our condo had to call Texas Wildlife Commission to come get the 8 foot gators out of the water hazards. Why don't you try them? They might even come and get them since 'possums are wild. BTW they didn't kill the gators, just carted them off someplace.

My parents had a raccoon infestation in their roof a few years ago. They tried everything, moth balls, live traps, legs trap, sitting outside with a gun even. There has always been a opossum problem with the cat food left outside for the various strays.

The only thing that worked, for either of them (even the giant bull mastiff left outside didn't scare them!) was a clock radio turn up all the way to a talk radio station, it has to be speech or obnoxious music, no classical or something easy to ignore. It was placed in the attic and left on all the time, it was a plug in type, not battery operated. When placed at the other end of the house from the bedroom you couldn't hear it until you go to the other end of the house. However it scared off the wild life, didn't hurt anyone, and the cats would put up with the sound.

So try putting some sort of radio with speakers near the problem area. They were able to remove the radio for a year before the raccoons decided to try again, but they live out in the country so the raccoons didn't have many options.

P.S. It's important to get them out of your roof as soon as possible. Once they find a good nest they'll continue to come back. They will also use your roof as a potty, and it soaks through drywall eventually, causing holes for them to look through into your house, very scary! Also, they mess up the insulation so you loose heat and spend just that much more money because of them.

Get a large live cage, place a peanut butter sandwich inside for they love peanut butter and wait. Soon you can deposit them free in a environment right for them.

When I worked for animal control, the head of it told me that possums do not get rabies, so it was safe to reach out and catch them. Possums are not stubborn or beligerent; they merely have horrible eye sight (rely on their sense of smell) and are very shy which is why they turn and try to hide in a corner. We caught one in our yard and put it in a cage to take out to the country and let go. While in the cage, I scratched behind its ear, and it snuggled up to the side of the cage and acted just like a cat, only more shy. The hardest part of getting it out of the cage was that it was so scared that it wrapped its tail around one end of the cage and refused to let go. We put the end of the cage in water, and it swam out and ran to safety. Please don't be mean and beat them to death with a broom (I've seen many do this). Once you get them out of the attic, be sure to seal off all holes so they aren't able to find their way in again.

While riding my harley down a road I never had been on before I saw a possum that had been hit by a car. As I drove slowly by it because I cant stand to see any animal die or suffer I saw something about 2 1/2 - 3 inches on top of her. I turned my bike around and saw it was a baby trying to get to her mammas teat.

4 Babies that didn't survive laid next to her, so I dug in her pouch and found 5 more babies alive. I put them in my saddlebags and went straight home. Got on the computer and found out how to take care of them so I had 6 little mickey mouse looking babies for 3 1/2 weeks, hand fed, used a warm washcloth to rub their stomachs lightly, this helps digest their food and go poop, (a replacement for their moms licking them to get their stomachs active) then I gave 5 to a wild animals rescue and kept skeeter.

They say they live 2 years but she lived almost 3 1/2. They do not have or get rabies because their blood temperature is to low. Anyways I made her her baby habitat and a little Harley hammock and when she got big we took our big closet took off the doors, I painted a palm tree, we built levels and ramps up to her now adult hammock and she loved it. I could nibble on her ears, kiss her face, she loved me to rub her little feet which are like little human hands. My mom watched her on my weeks vacation and when i came home she grabbed me so tight and made little crying noises.

We would take her to mc donalds for her own hamburger and fries. She loved them. After 3 1/2 years she got cancer so bad I had to have her put to final sleep and that still tears me up to this day. She was my baby and I will always love her. I'm showing a picture now but be sure to check out the contest because I have entered her in that. Here she is, a fat sable teddy bear. Skeeter

I caught and released, about 3 miles from home, a possum. Can it find its way back here?

I had a flashlight on an opossum and it came to me. What do I do? I was outside with a flashlight and I saw what I thought was a big cat, but when I put the light on it, it started to come to me. When I ran to my door it was at the side of the house; it was a opossum and it looked at me.

By Dannilea S.

Is there a home remedy that doesn't cost a fortune to get rid of possums? I have a family of possums that have made a home under and in the walls of the house. Is there a easy way to run them off, a smell or a chemical they can't handle being around? That is really all I know to put down. Please and thank you.

By Terry

Answers

Moth balls scattered where they enter and leave may help. If they are under the house, throw the moth balls under the house in a circle around this area. It may take a few days, but this works on mice and skunks, too.

Even though we live inside the city in a fully inhabited neighborhood, we seem to have an opossum (and I'm told possibly babies, too) roaming at night. I have not only seen evidence of it (you know what I mean), but I have seen it on the neighbor's porch. What can I do? Thanks for any help.

Dennis in Texas

By DennisAndEstelle

It may have its nest in your neighbors yard, i.e., under the porch, or under or behind a shed, or under bushes. Also, they are attracted to foodstuffs just like raccoons, so make sure you and your neighbors are not leaving garbage bags or cans open, no dogfood out on porches and things like that. They won't attack you unless you corner them. They prefer to be left alone.

You can be grateful because they eat snails. They might be pesty in that they will eat pet food left outside and garbage. Please do not hurt them. They mean you no harm.

I leave food scraps out for them myself, and try to catch a glimpse of them feeding. They are harmless to pets and people as well. They don't even carry rabies the way foxes do. I love nature.

What can I spray on my passion fruit to get rid of possums?

Hardiness Zone: 1

By Jim from Australia

Moth balls have worked well for me in getting rid of skunks & other unwanted animals; I bet they'd work for possums, too. (And they're cheap!) Sprinkle a few on the ground around the plants; replace them after rain or really heavy dew.

It would be unfair and cruel to take them into another area as they are extremely territorial. Any program I have seen where they rescue possums they always return them to the place they found them. As for deterring them from your fruit - I'm not sure how that would be achieved.

Well I do know now for a fact that possums do kill ducks. And I hate them. I will/am going to do whatever it takes to get rid of this possum under the house. Move, kill, or whatever.

For those who say cats and opossums don't bother any one or anything, they are wrong. Just saw a opossum kill my new baby kitty right in front of me. Couldn't get to it fast enough. My heart hurts and opossums suck.

My neighbor has an opossum in her house under her garden tub. We have set live traps with no luck. Is there any other way to run it off?

By new prospect tenn from New Prospect, Tn

Answers

A live trap is your best bet. Try different bait. My dad just caught a two possum over the past month living under our house with a head of lettuce that was going bad. Remember, a opposum is a scavenger and will eat whatever attracts it's nose.

I had one that kept making my dogs bark at night. No one believed that I had one in the yard so one mornign I saw it on my fench and I went and got my camera and started taking pictures of it with the flash on. It has not come back yet and this was last year.

I have heard chewing on my a/c vents under my mobile home late at night. Could the animal be an opossum? I've seen one on my front porch (not afraid of automatic light on porch) and in the tree over my house.

By Lyn

I have been raising feral kittens and now they are big cats. In my yard, I noticed one night an opossum and then two opossums. I am very scared now to go out in my yard. I am afraid they will attack me. My question is, how are the cats, there are 4, and the two opossums able to get along? Why aren't the cats claiming their territory? How do I get rid of the opossums.

By SR

I just read that putting mothballs in the garden, inside of a plastic jug with holes in the bottom to keep them dry, will help keep cats out of the garden. So I wonder if that would help with the opossums that get in my yard and eat the cat's food. I have a fence around the yard and wondered about putting the mothballs along the fence. But I don't want to reject my cat.

By pm813

I have an aggressive possum in my yard that wants to hurt my Pomeranian. At night it screams at me or the dog. It's huge. I only have a small courtyard, so it's quite a problem as it's bigger than the dog. Any Suggestions?

By Pauleen

You should call animal control for your town or county right away. It may be sick and could give rabies to your dog or you. They will probably set a humane trap for it overnight so they can examine it for illness.

How do I get rid of possums in our vents without harming the animals or the home?

By Jamie from GA

You need to find out where they are entering and exiting your house. Then get a Live Catch Trap and bait it with lettuce or cabbage. Ask around and you may find someone with a trap they can loan you or you can check with your humane society (SPCA) and they might be able to help. Oposum eat just about anything so lettuce or cabbage could be replaced with something else. We had some under the house and put out a trap with a piece of chicken and caught one. We also caught a stray cat and a bunny (with a carrot). But we got 1 adult and 2 baby Opossum as well.

I think I have possums in my attic. They are also in my walls. These things are scary because they fight all the time. The other night I was in my kitchen and they were fighting so loudly (hissing and growling) that I thought they would come through the walls! I actually thought they were in my kitchen and coming after me!

I have also found "droppings" in my living room that I was blaming on my daughter's little dog, and food being chewed on by what I thought were mice or rats in my pantry. Now I don't know.

I got a cat a few months ago to get rid of the rodents, but I know something else like possums or raccoons are in the walls and attic, and may be roaming around my house at night. How do I get rid of them cheaply and effectively? Please help!

By scared of critters from Lafayette, La.

Answers:

Possums In My House

If you can find where they are getting into your house, pour some hot pepper sauce on it. We had squirrels in our attic. They were climbing the wires to the H/A system to the attic. We've done the above, and also put it all around the house. They don't like it. We don't have any more problems. Reapply after it rains. I would do this for anything in the attic. Good luck. (05/11/2009)

By kffrmw88

Possums In My House

Get a Havahart trap and put fruit in it and then release them far away from your home. They are nocturnal so do this at night in your living room. They are territorial so I'm surprised you have that many. Of course they could be mating. One advantage of having possums around the outside of the house is they kill rats and mice. (05/11/2009)

By BABBIE

Possums In My House

You may want to research to see if they pose a hazard by chewing electrical wiring. I know rats and mice do. (05/11/2009)

By lbrady

How do I get rid of possums in my yard?

Hardiness Zone: 10b

By A. Downing from Coral Springs

Answers:

Getting Rid of Possums

The only thing that has worked for us is to trap them, then take them someplace out in the country, where we release them, away from the homes of others. (01/18/2010)

By susanmajp

Getting Rid of Possums

Hello! They do not harm anyone or the garden. Anyway, you can sprinkle red pepper flakes, as they do not like the spicy scent. You can go further by soaking the flakes in hot water, allow to steep, place in spray bottle to spray or sprinkle in the areas you desire. Good Luck! (01/18/2010)

By sunshineacad1@aol.com

What are possums afraid of? And how do I get rid of them?

By Lee

Answers:

Getting Rid of Possums

I had a possum problem where I used to live, and although I can't give you any good suggestions, I can tell you I found out many states have laws about what you can do. We wanted to live trap and relocate it and found our state (IN) only allows you to relocate one 50 feet, which was no help at all. I would check your local laws before acting. (11/08/2009)

By iliao93

Does anyone have any ideas how we can keep possums from coming in our yard? We have 3 very small Yorkies that we let out in our backyard, and we have to constantly put our flood lights on and go out first to make sure there are no possums walking around on the grass or walking across our fence.

These things are disgusting and are bigger than my dogs. I am tired of worrying if one of my dogs will be attacked by these things. We don't know where they are coming from but there is no place in our yard for them to be living. We will try anything at this point.

Thanks,
Jan from Long Island

Answers:

Getting Rid of Possums

Are the possums aggressive? I like to have possums in my yard (I have four cats and a mini dachshund), because they eat slugs. When the possums are away, the slugs eat so many of my plants (hostas, herbs, veggies). When the possums are a regular part of my backyard flora and fauna, the slugs are under control and the plants thrive.

I have never seen or heard one attack the dog or the cats. If one were that aggressive, I would assume that it has rabies. They are very shy, unassuming creatures under most circumstances. (04/08/2005)

By Jen

Getting Rid of Possums

Possums have always been around my yard. They have never been a problem. Sometimes they even eat the cat food right out of the dishes on the porch alongside the cats! They aren't usually aggressive unless cornered, or if they would have rabies. If they really bother you I suggest trapping them and releasing them in a wooded area or using a 22 to eliminate them permanently. I think possums are so ugly that they are cute and the babies are just adorable!(04/08/2005)

By Peach

Getting Rid of Possums

The best way to get rid of the possums is to keep pet food out of their reach. Feed the pets inside or take up the bowl when they are done. Also keep any trash/garbage in a tightly covered container. (04/08/2005)

By jlxian

Getting Rid of Possums

I work on a College Campus. The best way I was told to get rid of Possums is to spray vinegar in the area you want them to stay away from. I was told that possums do not like the scent. I know this means a big yard spraying for you. I would decide what is the most important area you want them to stay away from, and then spray that area. I've seen the grounds workers using spray bottles. Hope this helps! (04/08/2005)

By ChildlikeGrownup

Getting Rid of Possums

I was told by my local Game Commissioner that it is very rare to find a live possum with rabies. They are non-aggressive and cannot defend themselves well. They are usually killed if attacked by another wild animal. Even though they have sharp teeth and claws, they don't react fast enough for defense. They usually try to climb a tree to escape confrontation. (04/08/2005)

By mkymlp

Getting Rid of Possums

Do some research on possums. They are terrific to have around. They do NOT get rabies and will keep snakes and other pests away. I love mine and feed them every night. You're lucky if you have one.

Rita from Texas (04/12/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Getting Rid of Possums

It seems that a lot of us know absolutely nothing about the opossum. At least that was the case with me. I too believed them to be vicious and or aggressive, that is definitely not the case. To learn more about these calm, slow moving creatures go to http://www.PossumRescue.com, and I know you will be pleasantly surprised. Generally speaking, the plight of our wildlife is a sad one, when you consider the massive urban sprawl, construction, new shopping centers, homeowners using poisonous chemical etc. And it really behooves us all to learn how to coexist peacefully and respectfully with our wild neighbors. Please be kind to animals, it will make you a better person. (08/04/2005)

Getting Rid of Possums

I saw a thing on TV yesterday that if you put a cotton ball soaked in peppermint oil (not extract) it will keep all manner of rodents away, including possums. I had one get into the attic through a small opening and have babies. So now I'm trying to get momma and 4 youngsters out of the house! My dog got one once, and swung it around by the neck and carried it around for a long time. I thought it was dead and I buried it. The next day the hole was empty and the possum was gone. (08/23/2005)

By David

Getting Rid of Possums

It sounds to me that there are all sorts of possums out there. We have several large trees in the area and several communities of possums. Given that it's a suburb, the possums almost become domesticated and that can be a bad thing. They cause damage to the gutters, garages, can leave their droppings, we have slugs and the possums don't eat them and are generally a domestic nuisance. To my shock one of my two cats and a HUGE possum got into a fight a couple of nights ago and I must say it had petrified both of my cats and several injuries were sustained by my cat. Up until this point my cats never showed aggression to the possums and they lead a peaceful co-existence. After this episode I am adamant that possums can be lethal given when required and are detrimental to domestic life. They should be exterminated. (04/14/2006)

By Dana

Getting Rid of Possums

Vinegar or Fox urine will help you get rid of Opossums. You can buy dry Fox urine.

Yes, they do attack you when they feel threatened by you or your pets. Didelphimorphia: Opossums, they are commonly also called "possums", though that term is more correctly applied to Australian fauna of the suborder Phalangeriformes. Opossums are usually nomadic, staying in one area as long as food and water are easily available.
Thanks to their lower blood temperature, rabies is almost unknown in opossums. They move around at night so sprinkle, spray, or drop your vinegar when your Opossum is out for his/her dinner, of course on the spot she or he was seen last.

Please be nice to all animals on this planet. Thank you and good luck. (08/21/2006)

By Ludovicus

RE: Getting Rid of Possums

Getting Rid of Possums

In general, opossums present a far lower health risk to humans than dogs and cats. They have a naturally high level of immunity to diseases. Opossums are more resistant to rabies than any other mammal. They can carry fleas and will bite if provoked. Learning and discrimination tests rank opossums above dogs in intelligence and more on the level of pigs.

Opossums are transient staying only 2-3 days in an area before moving on. They do not have a territory but are always on the move, going to wherever the food is. Females stay in a smaller area while they care for their young. Their dens are located in a variety of areas including stumps, vine tangles, attics, garages, hollow trees, rock piles, under buildings and in the abandoned burrows of other animals.

If attacked and unable to fight or run from danger it puts up a terrific bluff and can give the appearance of being really good at defending itself. As a last resort, it will collapse and play dead. This involuntary response causes the opossum to become comatose for a period of from 40 minutes to 4 hours. Give a "dead" opossum the benefit of the doubt and do not dispose of the body until you are sure it is dead.

Few opossums survive to become adults and those that do have a life expectancy of from only one to two years due to its many predators, man being the worst.

If there is an opossum in your area, just leave it alone, it should move on in a couple of days. However, if you find an opossum continues to return to your area, try eliminating the things that are attracting it:

Do not leave pet food out at night.
Pick up fallen fruit.
Clear away bushes, woodpiles and other hiding places.
Do not leave garage doors open at night.

If an opossum gets into your house or garage, it can be safely trapped by leaning an empty, tall kitchen trash can at a 30-45 degree angle against something the opossum can climb onto. Place cat food or ripe fruit at the bottom of the trash can. The opossum will be able to climb into the trash can but will not be able to get out. Immediately take the can outside. Tip the can on its side and the opossum will leave when it feels it is safe.

You can also try to leave a trail of cat food leading to an open door. Observe quietly at a distance. Once it leaves, shut the door. Do not try to push the opossum out with a broom. The frightened animal will freeze and not move.

If there is an opossum in your yard, leave it alone. If it is in your garden, it is helping you by eating the harmful pests that do damage. (09/20/2006)

Getting Rid of Possums

Clear ammonia
Empty cans or containers
Rags to act as wicks
Bright light
Portable radio

Step 1. You need to make the attic smell unpleasant. Soak the rag in ammonia then place it in the can or container. Pour extra ammonia in the can then place the can in the attic. The wick effect will disperse the ammonia in the confined attic space. Use enough ammonia cans so that the aroma is unpleasant but not so strong that the animal will be overcome and die of the lack of oxygen.

Step 2. Make the Attic Bright. Hang the portable light in the attic using a high wattage bulb. Leave the light on 24-hours a day until the animal leaves. The bright light will make the animal feel insecure because potential predators can see and cause it harm. It also makes it hard for the animal to sleep, so the animal will search for a darker and safer location.

Step 3. Invade the Attic with Loud Human Voices. Place a radio in the attic tuned to a talk radio station. Raise the volume so that the sounds reach the entire attic. Humans are deadly predators and strike fear in animals. Wild animals do not want to be around people and by providing constant human voices, you make the attic a scary place. Don't play music, only talk stations will scare the animals.

You have eliminated every reason the wild animal chose your attic. It is now a smelly, bright, and nosy place. The animal must now find a new home. If it is a mother with young babies, it isn't easy to create a new nest in one night. Give the mother time to move her babies because she can only take one at a time. Depending on the species, it may take three or four days to move the young animals. Once the animals have left, secure entry points to prevent a new animal from moving in.

*Adapted with permission from the Wildlife Care Center's publication "Animal In Your Attic? 3 Steps To Encourage It To Leave." (11/05/2006)

By Carmen

Getting Rid of Possums

Cayenne pepper does not work. I sprinkled a pound around my shed where the beast lives, and later that evening it was shuffling around covered with the red pepper but otherwise unfazed. (04/22/2007)

By SKL.

Getting Rid of Possums

I live in an area where it is illegal to kill possums but there is a huge possum that broke into my guest room and did tons of damage, and now it is just sitting in the garden and I hate having it there. I need to get rid of it permanently. It has already completely ruined my pool table, which is going to cost a fortune to get restored! I really need it gone. Thanks.

Editor's Note: You could try trapping it in a pet carrier by putting cat or dog food in there. Then take it to a wildlife rescue. Most places where it is illegal to harm wildlife also have places to take the animals. Good luck with this. (04/28/2007)

By IHatePossums

Getting Rid of Possums

It worked! I read this on this thread:

"If an opossum gets into your house or garage, it can be safely trapped by leaning an empty, tall kitchen trash can at a 30-45 degree angle against something the opossum can climb onto. Place cat food or ripe fruit at the bottom of the trash can. The opossum will be able to climb into the trash can but will not be able to get out."

I gave it a try to get rid of the possum that has been getting under our house every night at 10:30 for the last 2 weeks. This morning at 5am, the unmistakable sound of claws on plastic woke me up. The flashlight confirmed my catch! I set the trash can upright and put a heavy lid on it. Later this morning I will drive him out to some woods far away from the house and turn him loose. Since I don't have a cat, I will give him some more of the cat food I bought for this purpose as a starter meal in his new surroundings. (11/11/2007)

By phe2007

RE: Getting Rid of Possums

Getting Rid of Possums

Just set heaps of traps. (04/10/2008)

Getting Rid of Possums

Possums do not get rabies, as their body temperature is too low to contract the disease. They act ferocious when cornered, but it is just an act. They are docile creatures. If you want to get rid of them, borrow a live trap from the animal shelter or buy one on eBay. You can get a large one for about $30 like I did. (06/02/2008)

By connie w

Getting Rid of Possums

There's a reason why god created possums. They eat all the nasty bugs, snails, and overripe fruits that have fallen from the trees. They don't attack cats or dogs, although they show their teeth they're very harmless animals. It's the dogs and cats who kill possums so for those people who want to kill possums, it is a sin to kill an animal god created. Leave them alone. If you don't want them in your yard, cover your trash with something heavy so it doesn't overflow and invite possums or raccoons. They're just god's creatures, and they deserve to live just like you and I. (06/07/2008)

Getting Rid of Possums

I live in Riverside, California and have had a possum problem for several years. I was driving home at about 1 a.m. a few years ago and saw a mother possum lumbering down my street with 5-6 babies riding on her back. Little did I know she was headed to my yard. Several months later they are living in my shed with a raccoon in the rafters. I used trapping cages and caught 9 of them and the City came by and picked each one up. Recently, I have caught 4 in the trapping cage. My neighbor bought it at Harbor Freight Co. for $20.

As far as possums just eating rotten fruit and nasty bugs, they eat all my fruit much of which hasn't had a chance to get ripe. So, even if they are God's creatures, they keep multiplying and cause too many problems. The City relocates them, by the way, to the riverbed locally. (07/02/2008)

By Dale Parsons

Getting Rid of Possums

I have a solution for many of you concerned with ridding your yards or decks from the possums. However, as some of the commenters have indicated they are a useful creature and don't typically attack your pets; more of a nuisance than anything.

The solution is simple; lay a trail of moth balls around the border of your yard, deck, garage, etc. You will have to redo this exercise every few months as either weather or the disturbance of the trail will remove the necessary barrier.
(07/19/2008)

By Frank

Getting Rid of Possums

Many dog pounds will loan or rent out humane traps. There may be other places you can rent one. Trap it and take it to the woods. No need to kill one of God's creatures. Make sure it's not a female with babies. Don't want the babies to starve without mother's milk. (07/20/2008)

By betty

Getting Rid of Possums

Possums can carry Leptospirosis, which is recognized as a major cause of acute kidney failure in dogs. If you have possums in your yard, you need to get your dog vaccinated. My dachshund got lepto and almost died. Now she has to eat a special food because her kidneys are so damaged. She can't get her teeth cleaned because that requires anesthetic and her kidneys can't take it. (09/12/2008)

By Melissa

Getting Rid of Possums

We have a possum issue, so I called the animal control for a cage. My husband is picking it up right now, but he is going to take the possum to the woods, because when I asked what they do with them, they said they put it down.

I'm am not an "animal lover", but I do respect that everything has it's purpose whether I like how it looks or what it's purpose is, so I can't knowingly have it killed. I also understand that it is man that is encroaching into wildlife's domain and not the other way around. (12/01/2008)

By Kirsten

Getting Rid of Possums

We have an occasional possum in the yard. And fortunately for me, my dog (half lab, half German Shepard) likes to bring them to us.

The only aggression I've ever seen is hissing and baring teeth. Twice by a mother with babies, and the other by a very young one that my dog had cornered under a step. Her nose got a nice swipe but other than that, none of them have ever attacked her. Instead, when she moves in to grab one, every single time, they have played dead. When we finally get the dog to drop it, we let it go in the crawfish or rice ponds nearby.

I know people freak when they hiss at you but think about it--if someone was swatting at you with a broom or shoving you off or whatever, wouldn't you hiss and bare teeth?

I don't particularly like them, and while I love my dog, the whole retrieving for me does make things interesting when I let her in for the night, but I wouldn't kill one unless I absolutely had to. (02/03/2009)

By In Louisiana

Getting Rid of Possums

Check with your local animal control office or state university agricultural extension service for advice and resources on getting rid of the possum.

On the other hand, the way the economy is going, we'll all be eating "possum pie" before long; this should solve the problem everyone is having. :) (02/13/2009)

By Possum Pie

Getting Rid of Possums

I came across this series of exchanges by accident and was saddened by the ignorance and fear of possums and a general alienation from nature.

In Australia we have a great site called Candobetter.org, and it has a possum lifestyle writer called Gloria O'Possum. You can read about how she lives indoors in a possum box and how she got there here:
http://candobetter.org/taxonomy/term/546

I think possums are more fun than most things. (07/31/2009)

By nerodog

Getting Rid of Possums

I've had a possum living under my house for over two years. He gets in and out through an opening on the side of a grill that only partially covers the hole. I first saw him when he was a baby and started feeding him. He's never left. Have never had a problem with him - and I don't have other possums. There are others in the neighborhood I've occasionally seen, but he seems to be the only one that lives under my house. I feed him Vienna sausages and pieces of chicken and sometimes cat food and pieces of fruits. I only see him at night. He pokes his head through the grill and I put the food near the opening for him - he eats and hides back in there. I have a big bowl of water nearby that I put out all the time for pigeons or stray cats. No doubt he drinks water from there too.

I've never seen him attacking anything or anyone. He doesn't destroy anything. He doesn't get into my garbage because he gets clean food. I don't mind sharing my living space with him. Considering how much space we've taken away from animals I figure that helping out a little guy that isn't harming me in any way is the least I can do. I don't know if he's helping with this but I have no mice and hardly ever see insects in my house. Before he moved in we used to have a problem with big palmetto bugs and occasionally with spiders. I don't spray because I don't like insecticides, so I suspect my "roomie" is helping.

As for the suggestions I've read above - if you really want to get rid of the possums in a humane way make sure to trap for a few days even after you catch one, because there may be more wherever they were hiding and if you seal that area up right away you may end up sealing one in there alive to die a horrible death. When you catch them just release them in a wooded area somewhere where they may at least have a chance. Good luck. (08/04/2009)

By xwpreader2

This is the second time in a 3 week period my little Jack Russell terrier woke us up in the middle of the night chasing a possum.

Load More