Browsing: Getting Rid of Opossums

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Rid of Opossums

Opossums are quite adaptable and can thrive near people, munching on vegetable garden produce and nesting under houses and sheds. This is a guide about getting rid of opossums.

Getting Rid of Opossums
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 21, 2015 Flag

I caught and released, about 3 miles from home, a possum. Can it find its way back here?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just read the information on how to get rid of possums which I will try out this evening! Thanks so much for these helpful hints

Read More Answers...

April 29, 2014 Flag

After being woken up at 2:00 am the morning before, I was quoted $389 for removal from a wildlife specialist to trap the things. I did an internet search and found this tip.

I placed ammonia soaked rags in bowls at the entries of crawl space vents in the wall where the opossum was entering the space yesterday afternoon. At 7:44 am this morning, I was woken by a muffled moving sound under my bedroom floor. I got up and went to the family room and spied mother opossum pulling the last of her 10 babies out of the hole in the wall of my home. Babies safely on her back, she lumbered to the backyard fence and disappeared into my neighbors' yard. I promptly blocked all of the holes with aluminum vents with screens, attaching them to wall with Liquid Nails.

Total cost to me? $21.00 for ammonia, painters rags, 6 aluminum vents covers and a tube of Liquid Nails. It will be nice to know no more critters of any sort will get under my house again. Peaceful sleep at night? Priceless.

Source: http://www.ehow.com/how_12128742_driving-possum-out-crawlspace.html

May 1, 2014 Flag

I had a flashlight on an opossum and it came to me. What do I do? I was outside with a flashlight and I saw what I thought was a big cat, but when I put the light on it, it started to come to me. When I ran to my door it was at the side of the house; it was a opossum and it looked at me.

By Dannilea S.

Possums have extremely bad eye sight, which is why some act aggressively. I used to work at animal services/control, and was told that it was extremely rare for them to have rabies- cats and dogs get rabies far more often than possums. Check your city codes; in some places, it's illegal to catch and release animals such as possums. If not, a trap is the best way to do it.

Read More Answers...

January 14, 2009 Flag

Opossum in a CageI tried to catch this guy 3 nights in a row with no success. So last night I put a trail of bread OUTSIDE the cage and then a trail of bread going INSIDE the cage. Well, just like Hansel and Gretel, he followed the bread crumbs all the way into the cage far enough to trip the door closed. This morning, I took him over to the woods about 3 miles away from my house and let him go. I hope he doesn't find his way back any time soon. Here is a photo of him and I don't think he looks very happy, do you?

By Florida Gal from Spring Hill, FL

October 5, 2013 Flag

How can I get rid of the huge mom possum that lives in my pine tree? It killed 2 of my cats. It's as big as a dog! I had 3 outdoor cats when I bought my townhome. It's in a historical area and I am next to a field, that's lovely. The neighbors and I took the stray cats under our wing; they were good mousers and mole killers. I give them food, shelter, shots, etc. But this spring one cried every night to come in. I never saw it so scared. Soon I found out why. I saw what I thought was an average possum and I thought ran it off. Wrong. The last two cats were maimed so badly (leg and tails) literally chewed off. I later saw the monster mama. I have 1 cat left. I can't bring him inside. I have a cat that has never lived outside, etc. How do I get rid of all opossums without running off the kitty?

By Molley H.

You will have to either set a trap/cage yourself to catch it and then call the animal control to pick it up, or call them to do it, if they will. You can buy the trap/cage at hardware stores or a garden/pet stors. Hope this helps.

Read More Answers...

May 24, 2011 Flag

Even though we live inside the city in a fully inhabited neighborhood, we seem to have an opossum (and I'm told possibly babies, too) roaming at night. I have not only seen evidence of it (you know what I mean), but I have seen it on the neighbor's porch. What can I do? Thanks for any help.

Dennis in Texas

By DennisAndEstelle

Go to Acadamy and buy a big animal trap & set it up in a likely spot where they can get to & put a small amount of cat in a small can of cat food, place it inside of the trap on the far side of the spring door where it enters, set the trap before going to bed & maybe the next morning you will have one caught.

Read More Answers...

February 9, 2008 Flag

We have opossums in our roof, and we don't know how to get rid of them. Can you please advise, because we can't sleep at night?

Wala S.

I have one in my bathroom vent and i could never ever even think about keeping one as a pet. They look like huge rats and that's gross but i give u props 4 ur bravery. I've been trying to get someone 2 come out and get it out of the vent. They still haven't came yet and I put in a work order at 5:30a.m this morning. Help please

Read More Answers...

October 27, 2011 Flag

Is there a home remedy that doesn't cost a fortune to get rid of possums? I have a family of possums that have made a home under and in the walls of the house. Is there a easy way to run them off, a smell or a chemical they can't handle being around? That is really all I know to put down. Please and thank you.

By Terry

Moth balls do not work.... I am having the same problem an i have tried every thing... An one when its vixen to be that time of the month fir me I have to leave my house because they start surrounding my bedroom in the walls an in the floor. Sniffing an snorting at me.

Read More Answers...

April 22, 2010 Flag

What can I spray on my passion fruit to get rid of possums?

Hardiness Zone: 1

By Jim from Australia

For those who say cats and opossums don't bother any one or anything, they are wrong. Just saw a opossum kill my new baby kitty right in front of me. Couldn't get to it fast enough. My heart hurts and opossums suck.

Read More Answers...

October 25, 2013 Flag

I have heard chewing on my a/c vents under my mobile home late at night. Could the animal be an opossum? I've seen one on my front porch (not afraid of automatic light on porch) and in the tree over my house.

By Lyn

Yes! We had the same problem last spring. A baby actually got into the house and scared the daylights out of me. We went under the house and sprinkled some moth balls (not a good idea). Got rid of the problem, but created a new one with moth ball smell getting into the house.

September 13, 2010 Flag

My neighbor has an opossum in her house under her garden tub. We have set live traps with no luck. Is there any other way to run it off?

By new prospect tenn from New Prospect, Tn

I had one that kept making my dogs bark at night. No one believed that I had one in the yard so one mornign I saw it on my fench and I went and got my camera and started taking pictures of it with the flash on. It has not come back yet and this was last year.

Read More Answers...
Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control Small WildlifeSeptember 18, 2012
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
Opossum on Fence
Opossum Information and Photos
iTunes icon on a phone
Getting Rid of Duplicates in iTunes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 9:14:33 PM on 10.0.0.143 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.