Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Rid of Slugs or Snails in the House

It is upsetting to encounter these slimy creatures in your home. This guide is about getting rid of slugs and snails in the house.

September 7, 2013 Flag

Slugs are getting in through a hole in the kitchen floor. I told my parents, but they don't seem too concerned. It was just one maybe every 4 weeks. I went in my kitchen earlier and found four of the slimy things. I am very squeamish and they have caused me to not eat in days. I can't walk through my own home without wearing my ACU boots. Can some one give a way to get rid of them?

By Dave from Seattle, WA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Snails get in the house. What to do to get rid of them?

Follow the slime find the hole and block it with something!

June 26, 2009 Flag

How can I get rid of slugs? They come in my living room every night and climb over everything and leave their awful slime. I got one the other night so thought that would be the end of it, but no. There must be loads of them! I need some help on this, the slime is driving me mad.

By Rosie931 from UK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi I don't even know how they are getting inside back kitchen! Looking at drain pipes outside no holes around them, solid concrete floor, no gap under back door now, please how are they getting in, any answers?

I have been using salt but they are still getting in my home. It doesn't help that my home is severely damp & my landlord says it's just condensation which it's not, he's not damp proofed the house or had the re-pointing done among other repairs that need doing.

Any way I found slugs on my worktops, drawers, cupboards, kitchen sink, bathroom walls, ceiling, in the sitting room, coming up the stairs etc. I have found that spraying everywhere with domestos bleach spray works a treat if sprayed every night xx

August 21, 2016 Flag

How do I stop snails from getting into my house?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

To snails your house, yard, etc., are just part of the snails' world so they simply continue on their journeys, house or not. The best way to prevent them from entering your house is to keep all outside access doors closed at all times and check for any holes, etc., snails may find to slide into your house.

Snails cannot hurt you! When you find them inside, please simply handle them gently, take them outside and place them on soil under a bush.

August 28, 2014 Flag

Do slugs' slimy trails cause any health problems for humans? They have been coming into my home for a couple of months now. I am at my wits end; I do have a dog as well. Thanks.

By Rita

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Pour salt all around where the slugs are coming into your home. It will dry them out and they'll die. I don't think the trails are harmful to you or your pets, but it would be unpleasant having them in the house. Good luck!

I hate slugs, I've been getting them in my kitchen for the past few months and they're driving me mad. I'm terrified that my elderly dog might accidentally eat them, because although they may not be harmful to humans, they are VERY dangerous to dogs. If a dog eats them they can get lung worm which can be fatal.

I just can't understand where they're getting in, there are no holes around the pipes and the kitchen doesn't open directly into the garden, you have to go through either the utility room or conservatory to get outside, so a slug would have to crawl for several feet in order to reach the kitchen, yet there are no visible trails in either the utility room or the conservatory, so WHERE are they coming from ?

April 17, 2014 Flag

Recently I've been encountering these creatures in and around my bedroom bin. I could see the trails and it seems like it makes quite a few around to it, but doesn't leave a trail of where it comes and goes. I've chucked them away twice and today there were two of them. They come out snuggishly when it's quiet in the room. Is it my bin, or due to a spillage of beet in my bin?
It's just annoying.

By Nikesh from London

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sandi, a bin is a garbage can, although I surely don't know why there would be beets in it. I suppose it could be some sort of storage place as well, but I doubt it. Anyway, to answer the question regarding slugs, I think a thorough cleaning of the bin and the surrounding area - likely the whole bedroom, would be in order. And are these slugs - which are grey slimy creatures, like snails without a shell, or are they perhaps, maggots, which are small and white, fly larva, that feed on decaying matter, especially decaying meat. I have never heard of slugs in a house, but maggots can be anywhere. But whatever they truly are, clean the room and the bin using lots of soap and hot water!

I know this is an old post but I recently came across the little slime trails left by a SLUG not a maggot. They come out during times when it's wet, damp and are found in homes. Has nothing to do with cleanliness of your home but the moisture around or underneath your home. I have no problem treating for them I just would like to know where they hide? I work nights and I guess it or "they" come out when I'm not around but the trail isn't much help, I just would feel better if I knew it wasn't still in the house or it will die after so long? If so I won't look in every inch of the house I'll just treat for anymore incoming slugs?

December 25, 2006 Flag

I have slugs in my kitchen. I don't just want to kill them - I want to be rid of them. How do I do this? They climb up into my silverware drawer, my cupboard where I keep my pots and pans and now they are bold enough to be on my back door. I live in a very moist area due to the fact that I am near the water, a lot of mold and moisture. How do get rid of these disgusting creatures?

pms6474

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've tried salt everywhere but seemed like a losing battle. I find slugs all over the ground floor of my house. I know use a bleach spray (either flash, parazone, domestos). I have even used sterilising fluid around the home.

I have had them too, and it is a shock, especially the large leopard variety! I have concluded they are getting in from under my floor somewhere. I tried salt at door, but my mum said salt burns them and is quite cruel. A better way and simple and works is to crush up old egg shell and leave it in a thin line at your front door they don't cross it. As for getting in my kitchen I picked it with a trowel and put in an envelope (all I could find) then went outside to find another 5 of the big boys. I threw the envelope (open) far away onto waste ground! However heard that these big guys have homing instincts and go back to the place they were born! never get rid... but eggshells and copper tape really helps! They are actually an amazing creature if you google it more understanding less hate will get you further.

June 28, 2013 Flag

Please help. A week or 2 ago I woke up to find snail trails on my front room carpet. I have put dishes with salt and beer (Carling), but they just went around the dish. Then I put salt down around the dishes, that didn't work. I have a dog and 2 cats and don't wanna put poison done in case it harms them. I woke up this morning to find it's trail leading to the back of my TV but I've looked everywhere and no sign. I'm getting pretty fed up :-(

By Kerry

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Can you find a way to keep your pets out of the room for a few days while you put out some slug traps? The sticky "mouse traps" would work if you put them around where you see the trails. Kind of gross, but they catch and hold everything that crawls over them. They are not poisonous but stick really well to pet fur!

Just to make people who are not aware of how dangerous slugs are when it comes to your pet dog. It's not just the horrid nasty looking trail it leaves around your house, but they are so dangerous; it can kill your dog.

June 6, 2012 Flag

Every morning when I get up there are these snot-like trails on my living room carpet. It's easy to wipe off, but I have an eighteen month old grand daughter that plays on that carpet and I am worried that she could catch something from what the snot might leave behind, even when cleaned off. If someone could tell me what to do, for instance is there a spray or something that will deter whatever it is slug or snail, I would be very grateful.

By Stuart .G

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I find that sprinkling salt on the trail makes them take a different route. You have to stop them from the outside so sprinkle some slug killer around the outside of the house.

If the little one gets it in her mouth, she will only do it once. It's nasty tasting. If it gets on your hands, wipe it off with at dry washcloth before washing with soap and water. It's very sticky so you have to be patient.

Lastly, if you want a sure fire way of killing them in your garden, put a pie tin of beer down. They are drawn to it and will drown. Problem solved.

If this was happening outside, I would suspect snails. What could possibly be causing the trails?

December 11, 2014 Flag

Every morning we are getting up to find slug trails at our fireplace. I have also seen snails there. What do we do too stop this?

By James

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

They don't like to crawl over copper. You could try using copper tape at the top of the chimney or wherever they are getting in.

September 6, 2013 Flag

I would like to know what can I use to clean my bathroom wall. I'm working and we are a family of 6 so time for is limited and I don't have a lot of energy, as I'm the only woman in the house. The small snails come from the joints between the gaps of the wall and the bath. I tried to close them, but the snails came again. I have a feeling I may need to break the wall and see where they coming from.

By Mavis M.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Put down the hammer and get some foam insulation in a gun. It's called touch and seal and you need a caulking gun but for smaller jobs, you can get the cans with a straw like attachment. Find the hole, seal it and nothing will get in not even air.

If you leak is too hard to get to, you may have to open the back of the wall outside.

Try keeping rock salt which doesn't melt around the affected area. I hope that helps.

November 13, 2011 Flag

I live in a ground floor apartment and have a dog, so salt in my carpet is out of the question. I find them in my kitchen and I know they are harmless, just gross. My complex can't figure it out and the bug man can't either. Any suggestions that won't harm my dog? (He's just a puppy.)

By Laura from Charlotte, NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Pour beer in a bowl. Sit it on the floor and the slugs will crawl in it and drown. Works every time.

From Dale in Houston

A gardening specialist said that altho beer works, it also attracts slugs from a broader area.

June 18, 2013 Flag

I am in a rented property that has a slug problem in the lounge. Will the slugs harm my furniture? I have a leather sofa, wood furniture, and soft furnishings.

By Gail

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My answer in my garden was to place saucers or paper plates with beer in it the slugs love beer and it kills them. it is messy but it is fatal.

November 29, 2014 Flag

I have noticed slug trails in my home (dining room) by my patio windows. I can't find where they are coming in.

By Susan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 30, 2014 Flag

There is a slug/snail in my porch. It has been lurking around for a few months, I have tried over and over again to find it, but I can't. Is there anything I can put down to try and get rid of them?

By Shirley J from Scunthorpe

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 17, 2008 Flag

I live in an upstairs apartment that is kept very cool and dry year round and until last week I've never even seen a roach in my apartment. All of a sudden, I am finding these tiny light pinkish slimy things here and there, and now in my bed. Yuck!

I remembered what roaches look and feel like as adults but never have seen these snot size slimy cool wet ones though. I found them here and compared them to the pictures, I think they are baby slugs yet I can't find an answer as to why I have suddenly been infested with them or where they could be coming from. There's not even a slim trail nor any adult ones anywhere. I have searched my entire place and no signs of any slugs big or small. Where are they coming from and how did they get here?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

They could be fruit fly larvae or termite eggs. Is it possible a piece of food is stuck some where you can't see?

October 21, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 26, 2009 Flag

We have been finding slugs in the sitting room by the settee and by the fire in the morning. We can't find out where they're coming from. We have recently put wooden flooring down. Where could they be coming in from? Please help.

Chris

Answers:

Slugs Inside My House

I have had the disgusting little things in my kitchen and by my back deck. My sons were quite amazed as we had a little science experiment watching what happens when you put salt on them. A note to people having trouble locating where they are coming from- I noticed that they were coming from under a newly replaced dishwasher, and once we noticed that, we realized that we had a leak in our sink pipes- could be a clue to a problem. (10/27/2008)

By faithbreeze

Slugs are gross.

We have recurring slugs in our kitchen (the first one I found was on a clean dish in the sink- I named him Horatio)... And about 10 minutes ago, I found one crawling under my clothes dryer and by the time I got prepped with rubber gloves and toilet paper to take care of him, he had vanished under it. I proceeded to throw salt at him but don't know if it did any good.

We have constant slugs in our house, but it's about 40 degrees outside and Halloween (and yes, it was a spooky surprise)! I didn't know they could endure cold and my mom is less than enthused about the beer technique, but the salt doesn't seem to be working that well. At what store can I find copper tape?

Thanks to everyone and it makes me feel tons better to know that other non-nasty people have slugs in their houses, too. HAPPY HALLOWEEN! :) (10/31/2008)

By Rosealicious

Slugs Inside My House

Oh I'm thrilled I am not the only one. I found a slug in my living room a week ago and then we found slug trails today, it seems to be coming in through the heater. I am going to try using salt but we'll see. (11/13/2008)

By Madi

Slugs Inside My House

My daughter found a slug in her room. Poor thing almost passed out. We have a water leak in our bathroom and it was raining for three days. I will tell my landlord and try some of the sluggestions, lol. (11/15/2008)

By grossedout

Slugs Inside My House

I have the slug problem. Got rid of 3 big ones a few months ago and thought the problem had gone away. Then came down stairs the other night and found 8 smaller ones. The temp outside is approx -2 so can't understand how they can survive that? Is it possible they could already be in the house and just come out for food at night, as I seriously can't work out where they are getting in. Think I will have to stay up one night to do some spy work! (12/12/2008)

By Hollie

Slugs Inside My House

Nasty, nasty slugs. I have found them on my kitchen floor many times, but when I walked in the kitchen last evening and found one on my stove top that did it for me, and the nasty critter was eating away on a recipe I had printed out to use. Makes me feel like my house is dirty. I was embarrassed to tell anyone about this problem, but clearly I am not alone. They are definitely unwelcome guests. (12/12/2008)

By L. Rutt

Slugs Inside My House

I have a concrete driveway so I don't understand where these slugs are coming from. They are always on the inside of the front door or on the floor, eeww!

It seems only at winter and late evening night they appear. They are quite big and grey in colour with dark spots. I kill them with salt, it's like they burn and bubble and die. Then I get my husband to clean them out.
(12/21/2008)

By sabrina

Slugs Inside My House

I get slugs in cupboard under the sink. This is where I keep the cat and dog food. Don't find them everyday but when I pick up the food to feed them in the morning they are stuck to the bottom of the bags. This morning I found one in the bag eating away. I read a few people are saying they're attracted to the food. I think I'll put the food in plastic containers. Hopefully that will solve the problem and if not, I usually have beer around the house. I'm afraid it will attract them, like a drunk slug party, instead of deterring them. Anyone have ideas? (01/09/2009)

By Tracy

Slugs Inside My House

I had hoped for a solution to my slug problem but I have tried all these suggestions without success. I find trails that start and end on the carpet but they are always starting from a point on the carpet and meander around and then end, again on the carpet. Surely there must be a powder that can be applied to the carpet that will eliminate them. (01/14/2009)

By Stuart

Slugs Inside My House

They are coming in from potatoes. Every time I buy potatoes, even if I put them in water, I find snails. It makes me not want to eat potatoes because I wonder how they are in them. (02/21/2009)

By KATHRYN

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Pest Control Slugs and SnailsSeptember 11, 2012
Cricket on white
Getting Rid of Crickets in the House
Slug on a Leaf
Getting Rid of Slugs
A snail on a flower stalk.
Getting Rid of Snails
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 19, 2017 at 7:54:37 PM on 10.0.0.215 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.