Share & Vote
Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Getting Rid of Slugs or Snails in the House

0 0EmailFollow
A small snail next to a dime.

It is upsetting to encounter these slimy creatures in your home. This guide is about getting rid of slugs and snails in the house.

Here are questions related to Getting Rid of Slugs or Snails in the House.

Question: Slugs Inside My House

How can I get rid of slugs? They come in my living room every night and climb over everything and leave their awful slime. I got one the other night so thought that would be the end of it, but no. There must be loads of them! I need some help on this, the slime is driving me mad.

By Rosie931 from UK

Most Recent Answer

By steve [3]09/14/2010

Hi I don't even know how they are getting inside back kitchen! Looking at drain pipes outside no holes around them, solid concrete floor, no gap under back door now, please how are they getting in, any answers?

Question: Getting Rid of Slugs Inside

Slugs are getting in through a hole in the kitchen floor. I told my parents, but they don't seem too concerned. It was just one maybe every 4 weeks. I went in my kitchen earlier and found four of the slimy things. I am very squeamish and they have caused me to not eat in days. I can't walk through my own home without wearing my ACU boots. Can some one give a way to get rid of them?

By Dave from Seattle, WA

Most Recent Answer

By Susan T.04/30/2014

We have slugs come into our kitchen. We just pick them gently up with a tissue and place them back outside. Simple! No need to harm anything and it only will take a few seconds out of your life. The slug has come in due to damp and this is a big mistake on it's part as a lot of people are cruel enough to just kill them. Be a better person and direct to the outside.

Question: Slugs In The Kitchen

I have slugs in my kitchen. I don't just want to kill them - I want to be rid of them. How do I do this? They climb up into my silverware drawer, my cupboard where I keep my pots and pans and now they are bold enough to be on my back door. I live in a very moist area due to the fact that I am near the water, a lot of mold and moisture. How do get rid of these disgusting creatures?

pms6474

Most Recent Answer

By Dusty W.06/13/2015

To the guy not wanting to kill them I'll bag up everyone I find and send them to you. Kill every nasty slimy slug u see there good for nothing but leaving marks on ur carpet salt works gonna talk to a dude that sprays for bugs for a living will know more tomorrow. But kill them don't be dumb and relocate them like there a injured bald eagle or something like that.

Question: Slugs in My Front Room

Please help. A week or 2 ago I woke up to find snail trails on my front room carpet. I have put dishes with salt and beer (Carling), but they just went around the dish. Then I put salt down around the dishes, that didn't work. I have a dog and 2 cats and don't wanna put poison done in case it harms them. I woke up this morning to find it's trail leading to the back of my TV but I've looked everywhere and no sign. I'm getting pretty fed up :-(

By Kerry

Most Recent Answer

By Russell L.10/19/2013

Slugs, snails and ants will not cross a chalk line so put a chalk line across your doorways, windows and check for any other possible entry holes and chalk them.

Question: Slugs or Snails in the House

Every morning when I get up there are these snot-like trails on my living room carpet. It's easy to wipe off, but I have an eighteen month old grand daughter that plays on that carpet and I am worried that she could catch something from what the snot might leave behind, even when cleaned off. If someone could tell me what to do, for instance is there a spray or something that will deter whatever it is slug or snail, I would be very grateful.

By Stuart .G

Most Recent Answer

By Carol Swanson [17]06/16/2012

Snails like places that are damp and shady. I'd be asking myself if the flooring in my home were too wet or not. In my basement family room, I run a dehumidifier, but an air conditioner would work too.

I think the best way to get rid of insects or animals is to remove their food source or conditions necessary for life.

Good luck

Question: Slugs in the House

Do slugs' slimy trails cause any health problems for humans? They have been coming into my home for a couple of months now. I am at my wits end; I do have a dog as well. Thanks.

By Rita

Most Recent Answer

By Pauline E.09/11/2014

I hate slugs, I've been getting them in my kitchen for the past few months and they're driving me mad. I'm terrified that my elderly dog might accidentally eat them, because although they may not be harmful to humans, they are VERY dangerous to dogs. If a dog eats them they can get lung worm which can be fatal.
I just can't understand where they're getting in, there are no holes around the pipes and the kitchen doesn't open directly into the garden, you have to go through either the utility room or conservatory to get outside, so a slug would have to crawl for several feet in order to reach the kitchen, yet there are no visible trails in either the utility room or the conservatory, so WHERE are they coming from ?

Question: Slugs In My Bedroom Carpet

Recently I've been encountering these creatures in and around my bedroom bin. I could see the trails and it seems like it makes quite a few around to it, but doesn't leave a trail of where it comes and goes. I've chucked them away twice and today there were two of them. They come out snuggishly when it's quiet in the room. Is it my bin, or due to a spillage of beet in my bin?
It's just annoying.

By Nikesh from London

Most Recent Answer

By kensinger42904/07/2015

I know this is an old post but I recently came across the little slime trails left by a SLUG not a maggot. They come out during times when it's wet, damp and are found in homes. Has nothing to do with cleanliness of your home but the moisture around or underneath your home. I have no problem treating for them I just would like to know where they hide? I work nights and I guess it or "they" come out when I'm not around but the trail isn't much help, I just would feel better if I knew it wasn't still in the house or it will die after so long? If so I won't look in every inch of the house I'll just treat for anymore incoming slugs?

Question: Getting Rid of Slugs Inside

I live in a ground floor apartment and have a dog, so salt in my carpet is out of the question. I find them in my kitchen and I know they are harmless, just gross. My complex can't figure it out and the bug man can't either. Any suggestions that won't harm my dog? (He's just a puppy.)

By Laura from Charlotte, NC

Most Recent Answer

By joan [6]11/15/2011

A gardening specialist said that altho beer works, it also attracts slugs from a broader area.

Question: Tiny "Slugs"

I live in an upstairs apartment that is kept very cool and dry year round and until last week I've never even seen a roach in my apartment. All of a sudden, I am finding these tiny light pinkish slimy things here and there, and now in my bed. Yuck!

I remembered what roaches look and feel like as adults but never have seen these snot size slimy cool wet ones though. I found them here and compared them to the pictures, I think they are baby slugs yet I can't find an answer as to why I have suddenly been infested with them or where they could be coming from. There's not even a slim trail nor any adult ones anywhere. I have searched my entire place and no signs of any slugs big or small. Where are they coming from and how did they get here?

Most Recent Answer

By siris (Guest Post)09/17/2008

We moved into a house that had similar things appearing mostly in the living room. I'd find them on the sofa arm or rug. They were maggots dropping from dead mice in the ceiling. The previous owner had put out mouse poison.

Question: Slugs Coming Down Chimney

Every morning we are getting up to find slug trails at our fireplace. I have also seen snails there. What do we do too stop this?

By James

Most Recent Answer

By Jess [95]01/05/2015

They don't like to crawl over copper. You could try using copper tape at the top of the chimney or wherever they are getting in.

Question: Getting Rid of Snails in Bathroom

I would like to know what can I use to clean my bathroom wall. I'm working and we are a family of 6 so time for is limited and I don't have a lot of energy, as I'm the only woman in the house. The small snails come from the joints between the gaps of the wall and the bath. I tried to close them, but the snails came again. I have a feeling I may need to break the wall and see where they coming from.

By Mavis M.

Most Recent Answer

By Sandi/Poor But Proud [422]09/08/2013

Put down the hammer and get some foam insulation in a gun. It's called touch and seal and you need a caulking gun but for smaller jobs, you can get the cans with a straw like attachment. Find the hole, seal it and nothing will get in not even air.
If you leak is too hard to get to, you may have to open the back of the wall outside.
Try keeping rock salt which doesn't melt around the affected area. I hope that helps.

RE: Getting Rid of Snails in Bathroom

Question: Slugs Inside

I am in a rented property that has a slug problem in the lounge. Will the slugs harm my furniture? I have a leather sofa, wood furniture, and soft furnishings.

By Gail

Most Recent Answer

By Marie [5]06/20/2013

My answer in my garden was to place saucers or paper plates with beer in it the slugs love beer and it kills them. it is messy but it is fatal.

Question: Slug Trails in the House

I have noticed slug trails in my home (dining room) by my patio windows. I can't find where they are coming in.

By Susan

Question: Getting Rid of Slugs and Snails

There is a slug/snail in my porch. It has been lurking around for a few months, I have tried over and over again to find it, but I can't. Is there anything I can put down to try and get rid of them?

By Shirley J from Scunthorpe

Solutions: Getting Rid of Slugs or Snails in the House

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Slugs Inside My House

We have been finding slugs in the sitting room by the settee and by the fire in the morning. We can't find out where they're coming from. We have recently put wooden flooring down. Where could they be coming in from? Please help.

Chris

RE: Slugs Inside My House

I have had the disgusting little things in my kitchen and by my back deck. My sons were quite amazed as we had a little science experiment watching what happens when you put salt on them. A note to people having trouble locating where they are coming from- I noticed that they were coming from under a newly replaced dishwasher, and once we noticed that, we realized that we had a leak in our sink pipes- could be a clue to a problem. (10/27/2008)

By faithbreeze

Slugs are gross.

We have recurring slugs in our kitchen (the first one I found was on a clean dish in the sink- I named him Horatio)... And about 10 minutes ago, I found one crawling under my clothes dryer and by the time I got prepped with rubber gloves and toilet paper to take care of him, he had vanished under it. I proceeded to throw salt at him but don't know if it did any good.

We have constant slugs in our house, but it's about 40 degrees outside and Halloween (and yes, it was a spooky surprise)! I didn't know they could endure cold and my mom is less than enthused about the beer technique, but the salt doesn't seem to be working that well. At what store can I find copper tape?

Thanks to everyone and it makes me feel tons better to know that other non-nasty people have slugs in their houses, too. HAPPY HALLOWEEN! :) (10/31/2008)

By Rosealicious

RE: Slugs Inside My House

Oh I'm thrilled I am not the only one. I found a slug in my living room a week ago and then we found slug trails today, it seems to be coming in through the heater. I am going to try using salt but we'll see. (11/13/2008)

By Madi

RE: Slugs Inside My House

My daughter found a slug in her room. Poor thing almost passed out. We have a water leak in our bathroom and it was raining for three days. I will tell my landlord and try some of the sluggestions, lol. (11/15/2008)

By grossedout

RE: Slugs Inside My House

I have the slug problem. Got rid of 3 big ones a few months ago and thought the problem had gone away. Then came down stairs the other night and found 8 smaller ones. The temp outside is approx -2 so can't understand how they can survive that? Is it possible they could already be in the house and just come out for food at night, as I seriously can't work out where they are getting in. Think I will have to stay up one night to do some spy work! (12/12/2008)

By Hollie

RE: Slugs Inside My House

Nasty, nasty slugs. I have found them on my kitchen floor many times, but when I walked in the kitchen last evening and found one on my stove top that did it for me, and the nasty critter was eating away on a recipe I had printed out to use. Makes me feel like my house is dirty. I was embarrassed to tell anyone about this problem, but clearly I am not alone. They are definitely unwelcome guests. (12/12/2008)

By L. Rutt

RE: Slugs Inside My House

I have a concrete driveway so I don't understand where these slugs are coming from. They are always on the inside of the front door or on the floor, eeww!

It seems only at winter and late evening night they appear. They are quite big and grey in colour with dark spots. I kill them with salt, it's like they burn and bubble and die. Then I get my husband to clean them out. (12/21/2008)

By sabrina

RE: Slugs Inside My House

I get slugs in cupboard under the sink. This is where I keep the cat and dog food. Don't find them everyday but when I pick up the food to feed them in the morning they are stuck to the bottom of the bags. This morning I found one in the bag eating away. I read a few people are saying they're attracted to the food. I think I'll put the food in plastic containers. Hopefully that will solve the problem and if not, I usually have beer around the house. I'm afraid it will attract them, like a drunk slug party, instead of deterring them. Anyone have ideas? (01/09/2009)

By Tracy

RE: Slugs Inside My House

I had hoped for a solution to my slug problem but I have tried all these suggestions without success. I find trails that start and end on the carpet but they are always starting from a point on the carpet and meander around and then end, again on the carpet. Surely there must be a powder that can be applied to the carpet that will eliminate them. (01/14/2009)

By Stuart

RE: Slugs Inside My House

They are coming in from potatoes. Every time I buy potatoes, even if I put them in water, I find snails. It makes me not want to eat potatoes because I wonder how they are in them. (02/21/2009)

By KATHRYN