Browsing: Getting Rid of Slugs or Snails in the House

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Rid of Slugs or Snails in the House

It is upsetting to encounter these slimy creatures in your home. This guide is about getting rid of slugs and snails in the house.

A small snail next to a dime.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 21, 2016 Flag

How do I stop snails from getting into my house?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

To snails your house, yard, etc., are just part of the snails' world so they simply continue on their journeys, house or not. The best way to prevent them from entering your house is to keep all outside access doors closed at all times and check for any holes, etc., snails may find to slide into your house.

Snails cannot hurt you! When you find them inside, please simply handle them gently, take them outside and place them on soil under a bush.

September 7, 2013 Flag

Slugs are getting in through a hole in the kitchen floor. I told my parents, but they don't seem too concerned. It was just one maybe every 4 weeks. I went in my kitchen earlier and found four of the slimy things. I am very squeamish and they have caused me to not eat in days. I can't walk through my own home without wearing my ACU boots. Can some one give a way to get rid of them?

By Dave from Seattle, WA

Snails get in the house. What to do to get rid of them?

Follow the slime find the hole and block it with something!

Read More Answers...

June 26, 2009 Flag

How can I get rid of slugs? They come in my living room every night and climb over everything and leave their awful slime. I got one the other night so thought that would be the end of it, but no. There must be loads of them! I need some help on this, the slime is driving me mad.

By Rosie931 from UK

I have been using salt but they are still getting in my home. It doesn't help that my home is severely damp & my landlord says it's just condensation which it's not, he's not damp proofed the house or had the re-pointing done among other repairs that need doing.

Any way I found slugs on my worktops, drawers, cupboards, kitchen sink, bathroom walls, ceiling, in the sitting room, coming up the stairs etc. I have found that spraying everywhere with domestos bleach spray works a treat if sprayed every night xx

I do this every night, i put salt round the edges of my carpet but they still seem to slime there way round my living room and dining room, i wont walk around my house without hard bottom slippers on incase i come toe to toe with one of the little horrors! Im at the end of my rope as i have 2 dogs and a cat so firstly the fact they could eat them is scarey but then i have to find ways to get rid of them without harming the pooches! Nightmare!

Read More Answers...

August 28, 2014 Flag

Do slugs' slimy trails cause any health problems for humans? They have been coming into my home for a couple of months now. I am at my wits end; I do have a dog as well. Thanks.

By Rita

I hate slugs, I've been getting them in my kitchen for the past few months and they're driving me mad. I'm terrified that my elderly dog might accidentally eat them, because although they may not be harmful to humans, they are VERY dangerous to dogs. If a dog eats them they can get lung worm which can be fatal.

I just can't understand where they're getting in, there are no holes around the pipes and the kitchen doesn't open directly into the garden, you have to go through either the utility room or conservatory to get outside, so a slug would have to crawl for several feet in order to reach the kitchen, yet there are no visible trails in either the utility room or the conservatory, so WHERE are they coming from ?

I had similar problem,I have an absolute phobia of these ugly things.......just to realize that my dog (lhasa apso bichon frise mix) and cats use to go out sit or lay down and the crafty slimys would hitch a lift back through the flap and into the house...!?.....I use to find them in the dog/cat bowl....

Read More Answers...

April 17, 2014 Flag

Recently I've been encountering these creatures in and around my bedroom bin. I could see the trails and it seems like it makes quite a few around to it, but doesn't leave a trail of where it comes and goes. I've chucked them away twice and today there were two of them. They come out snuggishly when it's quiet in the room. Is it my bin, or due to a spillage of beet in my bin?
It's just annoying.

By Nikesh from London

I know this is an old post but I recently came across the little slime trails left by a SLUG not a maggot. They come out during times when it's wet, damp and are found in homes. Has nothing to do with cleanliness of your home but the moisture around or underneath your home. I have no problem treating for them I just would like to know where they hide? I work nights and I guess it or "they" come out when I'm not around but the trail isn't much help, I just would feel better if I knew it wasn't still in the house or it will die after so long? If so I won't look in every inch of the house I'll just treat for anymore incoming slugs?

Us Brit's don't have garbage cans. We can have bins throughout the house! I'm curious though as I also thought Beets was a US name for beetroot. Why on earth do you think someone might be confusing slugs with totally different horrid things and question that they get in the house after comments by everyone on this thread?

Read More Answers...

June 28, 2013 Flag

Please help. A week or 2 ago I woke up to find snail trails on my front room carpet. I have put dishes with salt and beer (Carling), but they just went around the dish. Then I put salt down around the dishes, that didn't work. I have a dog and 2 cats and don't wanna put poison done in case it harms them. I woke up this morning to find it's trail leading to the back of my TV but I've looked everywhere and no sign. I'm getting pretty fed up :-(

By Kerry

Just to make people who are not aware of how dangerous slugs are when it comes to your pet dog. It's not just the horrid nasty looking trail it leaves around your house, but they are so dangerous; it can kill your dog.

Slugs, snails and ants will not cross a chalk line so put a chalk line across your doorways, windows and check for any other possible entry holes and chalk them.

Read More Answers...

December 25, 2006 Flag

I have slugs in my kitchen. I don't just want to kill them - I want to be rid of them. How do I do this? They climb up into my silverware drawer, my cupboard where I keep my pots and pans and now they are bold enough to be on my back door. I live in a very moist area due to the fact that I am near the water, a lot of mold and moisture. How do get rid of these disgusting creatures?

pms6474

I've tried salt everywhere but seemed like a losing battle. I find slugs all over the ground floor of my house. I know use a bleach spray (either flash, parazone, domestos). I have even used sterilising fluid around the home.

I have had them too, and it is a shock, especially the large leopard variety! I have concluded they are getting in from under my floor somewhere. I tried salt at door, but my mum said salt burns them and is quite cruel. A better way and simple and works is to crush up old egg shell and leave it in a thin line at your front door they don't cross it. As for getting in my kitchen I picked it with a trowel and put in an envelope (all I could find) then went outside to find another 5 of the big boys. I threw the envelope (open) far away onto waste ground! However heard that these big guys have homing instincts and go back to the place they were born! never get rid... but eggshells and copper tape really helps! They are actually an amazing creature if you google it more understanding less hate will get you further.

Read More Answers...

June 6, 2012 Flag

Every morning when I get up there are these snot-like trails on my living room carpet. It's easy to wipe off, but I have an eighteen month old grand daughter that plays on that carpet and I am worried that she could catch something from what the snot might leave behind, even when cleaned off.

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control Slugs and SnailsSeptember 11, 2012
Cricket on white
Getting Rid of Crickets in the House
Slug on a Leaf
Getting Rid of Slugs
A snail on a flower stalk.
Getting Rid of Snails
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 26, 2016 at 3:14:40 PM on 10.0.0.162 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.