Getting a Cat to Stop Spraying Inside

Marking their territory is a natural thing for cats to want to do. This guide is about getting a cat to stop spraying inside.

November 9, 2010 Flag

I have had 4 indoor cats for 12 years. All were fixed as kittens. They are 12, 11, 10, and 9, all were rescued a year apart. All of a sudden the male, who is 11 years old is spraying everywhere in the house. The vet says he's fine. He does it right in front of me and tries to cover it up. The 9 year old is a male too and the 11 year old loves him, cuddles with him and follows him all over the house. None of my cats fight. Why all of a sudden is he spraying after all these years? Please help.

By Nancytoby from FT Myers, FL

Best Answer

Is he stressed out over something? Has something changed? Is he mad at you? We had a male cat (who was also 'fixed'). I found him when I was a teen & he was 1 day old. When I would come home to visit as an adult, he would be mad at me for being gone & would pee and/or spray my suitcase if he could get to it! He also did that around the house when he was upset with my mom sometimes. My mom had to clean up after his 'fits' with one of those odor neutralizers. He didn't start that until he was around 10 years old, did it for a year or two, then quit! He lived to a ripe old age of 19.

I agree with pixiedust7.

I have a book " Think like a Cat" it explains why cats spray and what you can do to help modify his behavior.

There is no simple solution. If you can take the time to learn about why your cat is acting that way , which is a way to self sooth when they feel threatened!

Maybe you should find him a good home rather than killing him.

Did you take him to the vet? Maybe he has a urinary tract infection or some other underlying issue that can be fixed with medication. He is old, it could be that.

January 28, 2016 Flag

Our cat Puffy has been driving the entire family crazy with his spraying everywhere. We bought de-scenting sprays and special cleaners, which he ignored and re-marked all over the house. Some advice? I refuse neuter my cat.

Thank you.

A neutered male will still spray...just saying. My boys, 7, were both neutered as kittens, as was my older female, 15. They have lived together for 7 years and yesterday, one of the males started spraying. I can't imagine keeping an un-neutered male in the house, which means he's probably going outside? Yes, please go to the ASPCA or pound and see the number of adorable cats that are not going to be adopted and have to be euthanized.

Our male cat is neutered. Has been neutered since he was a kitten. Neutering is not the only way to fix it.

April 11, 2016 Flag

I have a spayed female that moved into our home 4 years ago. I have 2 other cats, all are fixed. She gets plenty of love as our other 2 could care less about affection! We did move recently, but just right next door. She has begun spraying and it's beyond out of control. Like I mentioned she been with us 4 years. What can I do? At this point she's family. She sprays inside and outside it don't matter. She will look right at you and do it! Please help.

Next door to her may as well be Mount Everest. It's a big deal to her. There may be smells in the new house that are setting her off. And you are right she does sound out of control. Poor girl. Something is really upsetting her. Have her checked out by the Vet for bladder infections etc. Stress can bring those on. Do some serious cleaning that removes urine odor. A solution of 1/3 cup borateem in a gallon of water with a little soap should do it. You can also use Comfort Zone sprays and collars to help relax her. They help a lot. You could consider putting her in a bathroom at night with her food a litter box and a bed. It might make her feel more calm. You really need to see your Vet tho and he may have more ideas. Good luck.

I've had a cat spray my front flower bed and now the front porch and door - 1st time ever (and I'm older!) - why I came to this site and I've gotten some good ideas. But, I have an idea to share... I only have inside cats. I had one that sprayed and when I took the next one (male) to my vet, he told me that if you wait until 9 months to have them neutered, it seems to "take" better - that cat lived 19 years and never sprayed once! (We had a rough time there between 6 and 9 months with him howling in the hall (ha, ha!), but we made it, and it was certainly worth it! I almost didn't post this, but thought may be everyone on this site would benefit from this info.

March 17, 2016 Flag

This is my only cat. He is 9 years old. I have had him since he was a kitten. He is neutered; it was done when he was 2 years old. He uses the litter box and marks. He also has access to a fenced in patio it is like a pet run. Only about 22 feet long and 6 feet wide.

There are feral cats marking the outside of the fence near a bush and he smells it and marks outside which is fine by me. But then he also does it inside.

I live in an apartment on the bottom floor; it is a cave as it is. Am I supposed to board up all the windows so he can't see the cats and never let him see the outside for the rest of his life? And I am supposed to live in darkness for the rest of his life?

I clean the areas when I find them, because they are always different spots. I use special industrial urine cleaner. So it does take the smell away from him and I, but he just marks it again or somewhere else. I even try taking him to the spot kinda like you would with a dog that crapped in the house, and let him smell it and I tell him "bad cat". I even go as far as putting him in the glass door shower and leave him for a time out.

There is no stress around here that I can think of. We are a quiet couple and we love him and spoil him to death, with treats, the good $20 dollar litter
and the good Blue food. He has fresh water all the time.

I also have a full apartment, top - bottom, with my rare international collections. I can't have him spraying all over porous materials, that I can't use the cleaners on.

He once sprayed on my rare collector baseball cards. I had to wipe them all down and store them in a air tight bag with scented baking soda.

I can't put everything up at hip level so he doesn't mark it. That is ridiculous. I am at my wits end and I refuse to give him up.

Please help.

(Yes I know I have a lot of stuff, I like it that way.)

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Go to a vet to see if he has a medical problem such as UTI or diabetes. Once that is resolved, I would steam clean the house because I believe every time he sprays and re-smells he thinks it's a new cat.

You say there's no stress that you can think of??? Rubbing his nose his his urine, telling him bad cat and locking him in the shower sound pretty stressful to me! Also, yes you do have a lot of stuff and you may like it like that but your cat probably doesn't! Personally, and as a trainee cat behaviourist it looks like a very stressful environment for a cat!

May 3, 2016 Flag

We adopted a rescue cat when he was an 8 week old kitten and he has been a great cat. We have 2 others, in total we have 2 males and 1 female cat. They are 15yrs, 10yrs, and 5yrs in age. When Tank was a kitten we had him neutered, just the like other male cat, and the female is spayed. They all get along and on occasion the male cats with get into a scuffle, but get over it quick. We do live in the woods and they spend time outside.

When we go to bed or leave for work for the day, we call the cats into the house like dogs and they respond well. What I am saying is that Tank behaves and we have no issues with him except for the fact that he sprays everywhere in the house. He also sprays all over the place outside, which is what we wish he would only do outside.

We have tried everything and we always clean it up and he goes right back to the area and sprays again. I have tired the aromatherapy, collars, candles, etc. that everyone swore worked and it did nothing. He sprays even if there are no cats around outside. He has been to the vet and he never had an urinary track infection or any other problems. He is healthy and physically active. We do not want to get rid of the cat being he is like one of us in the family, but I am running out of options and it is not healthy for the cat or us humans in the house. Other than maybe keeping him outside all the time ~ what else is their to do?

It is extremely difficult to stop a cat from spraying once the behavior is entrenched. However, if you give the cat to a shelter no one else will want to deal with this behavior either, and with good reason.

I suggest that Tank be an outdoor cat from now on. He will need a small insulated doghouse that is somewhat elevated, an outdoor sandpit for litter (or give him a covered litterbox and scoop and change it), and food and water that is in a feeder or bowl set that can't be turned over.

It will be hard to keep him out of the house at first. Installing a screen door will help.

I know that outdoor cats statistically have shorter life spans. However, if you give him to a shelter his life will end as soon as they realize he is unadoptable.

or a reminder course in not spraying while indoors. Dog crate with litter box and water bowl at times when you can't supervise, especially if daytime, cats sleep all day anyway.

To address another post in here, Sometimes older cats develop a distaste for their litter. It may hurt their feet, they may just be getting fickle like an old person. They get picky, they may eat less, they may vocalize an unusual amount and they may take to spraying. Try finding a softer more sand like litter and sprinkle in some cat nip, alternatively, mix vinegar, lemon juice, and rosemary into a solution to spray where he has sprayed. Also put small pcs of food in those spots. dont' try to correct it with "discipline" that will make it worse. If you must put in the bathroom when you are not home, litter box in bathtub/shower, access to food and water. Also in a multicat household, make sure there are plenty of perches for cats to get high off the ground, it makes them more secure. Lavender sachets can help like a Feliway diffuser. Or get lavendar oil and one of those stick diffusers.

October 17, 2016 Flag

My 11 year old male indoor cat, has recently started to spray all over my house. I've been single for 5 years and now have a new live in boyfriend. It is the only thing I can think of why he would feel threatened. How can I get him to stop?

June 16, 2015 Flag

I have 4 cats, 2 that are 10+, one that is about a year old, and one that is about 18 months old. In the last 3 weeks my 18 month old cat has started spraying in seemingly random places all over the house, and it is becoming more regular. I have looked at the reasons and how to cure it, but we have not been away for any long times, nor have there been any major changes around the house.

Please can anyone help and tell me why he is continually spraying and how I can stop him?

Sometimes cats see other cats outside that we dont see. Or they may smell them near to the house. This is often the reason a cat that has not sprayed before begins. Watch carefully out the window and look at your doors and patio doors. you can often see calling cards left at about cat level. If you cant discourage the visitors, block the view where they visit the house. Good luck

If you do not have an answer, the problem continues and you want it to stop, a vet visit might be a good idea. It is difficult to provide an answer with so little information.

January 17, 2015 Flag

Our female cat is fixed, and there is lots of love in our home. We have two litter pans for her. She is 2 1/2 years old. These past few months I have been finding she is spraying up the walls and onto our carpet. I've cleaned with the proper cleaners for cats. Yet it still continues. She has been peeing in the tub and on our tile floor on a landing. We are becoming very frustrated. We have taken her into our vets, and she is healthy. They say it's not normal for a female to do this even after she's fixed.

We clean her box, and clean up her messes daily. And it has been very stressful. We don't know what else to do. Nothing has changed in our home, her temperament is the same. Please help us.

By Louise D.

You could consider another vet's opinion of your cat's behavior?

Spraying on cold surfaces often means bladder infection. Have her checked again for that. Cats can have painful urination from cystitis, and there is not always bacteria present. It is an inflammation of the bladder, but it usually goes away, but can recur. The other thing to consider is she feeling territorial because of other cats outside? This can really drive them crazy but you may not even notice. Other cats will come right up and spray on your front door. Good luck solving this mystery.

September 24, 2011 Flag

I have a male 12 year old neutered cat (Stewart) that occasionally sprays. Now this is not a new behavior, but because of this problem, he has had to be an outside cat. I occasionally let him in and as long as I keep an eye on him he's fine.

Beautiful grey cat with white markings under chin.

Load More
Pets AdviceAugust 27, 2013
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
Cat Meowing
Preventing A Cat From Meowing
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
🎉
🎄