Previously House Trained Dog Peeing Indoors

Previously house trained dog.
Your dog could be reacting to changes in the household or possibly have a health problem. This guide is about previously house trained dog peeing indoors.

Dog accidents may be a sign of a bladder infection. When my dog had bladder infection it took three or four weeks worth of antibiotics to clear it up. She hasn't gotten it back since. She had the same symptoms as the dog that pees on the bed.

By Granny from Austin, MN

My female lab/mix was leaving little puddles almost everytime she sat down. I gave her incontinence meds to no avail. She got so bad we took her to our vet and he found a urinary tract infection. Three weeks of antibiotics cleared it up. Female dogs are very prone to UTI. Worth checking into.

My Lulu, a Japanese Spritz is potty trained and recently has been pooping and peeing sometimes at home. We bought her 3 weeks ago and she recently started sneezing and peeing inside. What should I do?

By Diana from Ghazieh, Lebanon

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

I have some questions here. You say she is certainly potty trained, yet you only bought her three weeks ago. What is your guarantee she is potty trained?

Was the dog in a kennel, a store or in a person's home when you bought her?

I would suggest you act as if her house training was incomplete and continue her training just like you would a puppy.

Best Answer

Potty training is not complete until a dog is about a year old. Keep working with her and I am sure she will improve. Take her to the Vet to check out the sneezing. Make sure she has had her vaccinations.

I have a 4 year old track rescued Greyhound. She has been a challenge since we got her (her sister is fine). For about 8 months she did really well, then recently started peeing in the house on occasion again. We have a neighbor coming in to let both dogs out midday, and we limit the water intake, yet 3 times this month she peed. It is in the same spot all the time even though we use Nature's Miracle to clean it up. It is not a medical issue, and seems to happen if we are home after 6pm. Is she afraid of the dark? We are getting frustrated trying to figure out what she is thinking. Any thoughts?

By Sally from Allentown, PA

Answer Was this helpful? 3

Try leaving the TV or radio on for human voices and music. It comforts them and makes it feel like someone is at home.

These are high energy dogs. If you don't have a bicycle, get one and get her out the door quick, before she pees and get her out for some good exercise. She needs this. It's good for both of you.

Actually, greyhounds are very low-energy dogs. Even when they are at the track, they are housed in crates for 20 or more hours a day, and race only twice a week, for about 30 seconds at a time. Greyhounds are the ultimate couch potatoes, and do just fine with potty walks 3 or 4 times a day, and perhaps a couple of longer walks a week. While many enjoy an occasional run in a fenced area, they do not "have" to run to be happy. They love long naps on soft cushy beds and couches!As far as the peeing goes, mine does that too!

I have found it's better when I keep him on a strict schedule (walks and feedings at the same time every day), but am frustrated as well.

I have had that problem with both of my dogs at times. Clean the spot & if you have a child's gate put it up so that the dog can't return to that spot for 2 - 3 weeks minimum. If a gate is not possible, whatever you do, do not use a rug, but sit something on the spot when it dries to keep the dogs away from it. I know that this sounds like a lot of trouble but it will give your carpet time to get the smell out and keep the dogs from going back to that spot because that is exactly what they will do. I know the gate is an inconvenience, but it works!

You can also use some the urine smell removal products, on and around the spot and the gate or whatever you use to cover the spot. It is also helpful in speeding up the process. The products range in prices from low to very expensive. Arm and Hammer makes a couple of good products that are not expensive and work ok. Believe me I have had my dogs for 4 yrs & have used this procedure 4 or 5 times, with a 100 percent success rate. Also make sure your pets are actually going to the bathroom when you take them outside. My dogs will go out on the porch but if they get spooked they may not get off the porch to go bathroom, so when I let them out I go with and get them excited about going outside.

I normally give them a small treat when they come back in if they behave well. Small treats are great for training even the most stubborn dogs. On stormy days it is a little tough, but I put on a rain coat and take my dogs out when the rain slacks off. I sometimes have to carry my smaller dog to an area under the trees where it is hardly raining at all. I always make sure I have puppy pads down on stormy days because both dogs are scared of thunder and if it storms all day it is very hard to get in 4 or 5 walks. Sometimes our animals may frustrate us but if we love them we must take the time to work with them and make sure they get enough love, exercise and outside time. I have put a picture of my smaller dog with this feedback.

Thank you for this site. My 4 year old house-trained Shih Tzu just started peeing all over the place. Little puddles in the kitchen, little spots on the family room carpet... Tuesday she peed on the sofa back, where she sits to watch TV with me, and then the topper, while laying on my stomach Thursday, she looked up at me and let go.....and a wet warm sensation covered my Tshirt and shorts!

I knew there was something wrong and I found this site. Someone reported "Diabetes," someone else "urinary tract infection," then there was "bladder infection," and "21 kidney stones".

Let me tell you what my vet found. ,After hearing our story, she says "well her bladder is nice and firm the way it's supposed to be. Let's put her on anti-biotics and see if she has a urinary tract infection. If she's not better in 2 weeks, we can do an x-ray and see if something else is going on."

I said "She's here, how much is the x-ray?" Vet "$150" I said "let's do it now so we can rule it out" She does the x-ray and and comes back "Good Call...3/4 of her Bladder is full of a Stone the size of a quarter!"

Her bladder is only the size of a Golf ball when empty! Vet says "she can't control her bladder, and thinks it is full all the time because of the massive stone!" Baby girl has surgery Wednesday to remove the stone $800!

Anonymous

Our 5 year old labrador started peeing in the kitchen floor 6 weeks after we moved house. She does it in one particular spot and only if the kitchen door is left opened over night. Her bed is in the kitchen.

It is annoying and it feels as she is doing it out of spite. I understand, many people would say "just keep kitchen doors closed", but it is stupid if kitchen gets puddle every night if the door wasn't closed!

After reading all the posts above I still cannot come up with a solution and feel our dear lovely doggy is trying to make a point that we can't understand...(( Please help!

My dog, Yogi, is 3 yrs old. He has been with me since he was 1 and a half. Although we bring him outdoors 3 times a day he is still peeing in the house randomly. Please help with some possible solutions, as I fear my hubby is getting fed up with his actions and I'm afraid he wants to give him up for adoption. I would hate to see this happen.

By Alicia

Best Answer

There can be many reasons why Yogi has trouble keeping his urination needs to your schedule. He may have a medical problem that results in his inability to hold his urine. Take your dog to your vet to rule out any medical issues. You vet can also help you with suggestions to help you help Yogi. If possible, you might consider a "doggie door" to allow Yogi to go outside when he needs to pee.

I have a 3 year old lab and and 1 year old Catahoula. Both are fully housebroken and have been for quite some time. Every day when I get home from work I immediately let them both out to use the bathroom and then run around and play together a while. When I was training them I would take them out on a leash and make them pee and poop before I would let them off to play so they know the order of how things need to work. Yesterday, about 30 minutes after I let them back in my Lab starting peeing on the floor. I stopped him and made him go outside to finish. He came back in and 30 minutes later did it again.

Tonight my husband and I were on one side of the house and both of our dogs were in the dining room laying on their beds. My husband walks into the room and again my Lab was peeing all over the floor. We get that cleaned and our Catahoula follows us to the bedroom jumps on the bed and pees all over it. It's large amounts of pee. They haven't been drinking more water than usual and I let them out to go out the same number of times as usual. What could be wrong?

By Jess B

Answer Was this helpful? 2

We (Tessa and I) have recently moved to Florida with my sister-in-law and their Beagle-Lab mix dog. My 4 year old Lab is peeing a significant amount of urine in the dining area lately, even when we are in the house! She has plenty of opportunity to go outside, has no issues with the other dog, no issues with potty training, and goes on daily walks. Any suggestions?

By Jennifer

Best Answer

Have you taken her to the vet? Usually when they do things they know you don't like, it's because they can't help it. How does she act when you find it or see her at it? Does she look ashamed? When my lab was doing this, she had an infection. Before doing anything else, I would have her checked out there.

As a side note, labs are known to be spirited and (I called mine psycho) spiteful. She might be jealous of the new dog and angry that now she's sharing attention with another dog. She chewed up my stuff when she thought I was slighting her. In that case, it's best to continue to reinforce that it is bad behavior so she knows you're unhappy with her when she does it. Eventually, she'll pick you over that.

I have a nine year lab old that just started peeing. I have been back and forth to the vet on more occasions than I can count. First she started peeing because I had her on a steroid for a skin rash she had. Steroids definitely make you pee (even steroids that you put in their ears for ear infections...believe it or not).

My dog is hypersensitive to any steroids. A worse case scenario is Cushings Disease. That is something your vet could do blood work on. The last idea I have is a urinary tract infection. You also might want to consider if any other pets have been in your home. He/She may be mad and marking their territory.

Good luck! I love my lab. She is my baby! BTW...my dog just got put on an incontinence medicine because it ended up being just that she cannot hold her bladder.

Has her diet changed? Is there some chemical that you have in the house that might be sparking this reaction? Take the dog to the vet. Also, you might look at his food, the dog food you feed her. You may need to find a food that doesn't have a lot of grain and by products, they can cause yeast infections which in turn can cause infections of the urethra and kidney infections. Have the dog checked out and change her diet. I might even try feeding her all chicken for two days and see if it makes a difference.

If she is peeing a lot, give her some pedialyte to drink. labs are noted for yeast infections. Make sure when she gets smelly and oily and yeasty smelling that you get rid of the muck from her skin with a handful of dawn and a capful of tea tree oil mixed together and applied to a wet dog. This is such a good shampoo if there is a problem of yeast build up on the dogs skin. Hope this helps.

Most vets will know nothing about the differnt dog foods, I have noticed that they are not really trained in nutrition, the ones I have met.

Blessings,

Robyn

You said she likes to pee in the dining area? Try out something not very nice smelling in the place she likes to pee and see if she doesn't want to pee there anymore. Or you could try lure her out side and maybe hide some treats in the garden or her so she will go out every time expecting treats and might have a little pee in her tracks!

My fiance and I have three dogs; a Boxer, and two Yorkies from different parents. Our oldest Yorkie's name is Lexi. The younger is Chloe. We got both of them when they were close to six weeks, Lexi is 1 1/2 years old and Chloe is almost 1. When we first got Lexi we house trained her, and then when we got Chloe we house trained her. Lexi was already trained when we got Chloe. Recently they have been making messes in the house at night when we are asleep. Is there a way to train them to wake me up at night if they need to go out?

Now they have been relieving themselves at other times of day when we are home. During the day when we are at work, they all stay outside. We are getting so frustrated and don't know what to do anymore. We discipline them by putting their nose by the spot and tapping them on the nose and saying "NO". Are we doing something wrong with this? Is there another way to discipline them that would be better?

By Brittany

Best Answer

The nose in the puddle training method has been pretty much debunked. If you do not catch a dog within 10 seconds and correct it, it does not have any idea what you are getting at. Check this website for ideas. It is a common problem. Good luck.

My 8 month old Cocker Spaniel has been house trained for months and has a dog flap so he has constant access to the garden. I have not had any problems for months, except the very occasional accident at the back door when it has been raining a lot. Little wimp ;)
However, all of a sudden he has now started to wee in the front hall way at night. He has free run of the house at bedtime and sleeps in my room on his bed, the area that he is weeing on is the only carpeted area downstairs. I can't help but think that he is wimpy and because he knows I am in bed he is just being lazy going at the bottom of the stairs rather than to the back door.
Any ideas?

By Georgea

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I have a spayed 3 1/2 year old GSD who has never peed or pooped in the house. Recently, a female neighbor, who also has dogs and is a pet-sitter, has started coming over to the house. Twice now my GSD has folded her ears back and peed the floor in front of my neighbor. She doesn't do that with anyone else. What's going on?

By Richard F.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

My grandson who was born 5-1-2016 and his mum live with me. My dog has never peed in the house before, yet for 2 weeks now she keeps peeing on her bedding and just a few days ago peed on my daughter's bed. I don't know what to do.

I have a very smart, moody dog, named Tyson. My boyfriend and he had a a very strong bond. We had just moved in to a new house when my boyfriend of 3 years died. This was Tyson's longest lasting home. I got him when he was 1. It was his 3rd home and I want this to stay his forever home, he adds a part to our family that nothing can replace. Since my BF's death Tyson began peeing and pooping on my BF's stuff and only his stuff. I know that my baby is hurting, but I don't know what to do. Anyone else ever had this problem?

By Lacy D.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I adopted a rescue dog last weekend. Her foster mom said that she didn't have any accidents while she had her, about 4 months. From what we can tell, she has had multiple litters of puppies. She had been the perfect dog up until yesterday when she started to pee in the house, even when we would bring her out often. She has also become a bit destructive while we are gone. We still love her, but are not sure why her behavior has changed so fast.

By Sue C.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

We adopted a 2 year old female hound/Pointer mix from a shelter 4 months ago. She has adjusted to our home beautifully except for chasing the cat (!) and about once every month, she pees in the house - a different place each time, but "always" on a carpet.

The frustrating part is that we work at home and so can take her out almost anytime she "asks" which ends up being about every 2-3 hours during the day. We always put her on a leash for a walk since our yard is not fenced. The fact that it isn't a constant problem makes me think it isn't a medical issue. I have tried to analyze the situations to figure out what's the common thread. In each case it seems to be situations when it may have been slightly over that 2 or 3 hour timeframe since her last walk.

Given her age (2 years, not a puppy) and the fact that clearly she can "hold it" for 10-12 hours at night, or for 5-6 hours when we are out of the house and she is in her crate - this has been frustrating! It almost seems as though it is spiteful, "if you can't take me out on my preferred schedule you will pay!"

Have we "spoiled" her by walking her on such a frequent schedule? - and if so, how do we get her to hold it for longer periods of time? My carpets/rugs can't take much more of this - and neither can my husband!

By E. A. H.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Our German shepherd puppy is 10 months old and has been house trained for about 6 months! When we are at home at night in bed she is left in the hallway and kitchen and does not make any mess some times up to 8 hours at night. But if we leave her for an hour in the day on her own, we come back to wee and poo every where. When we first started to leave her she never made a mess. Any suggestions?

By Chyvonne j from Hailsham

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Do you have a secure fenced back-yard this beautiful girl can spend time during your absence or is she confined to the house? German Shepherds are renowned for their intelligence and kept in confined areas with nothing to do is not recomended. Join your local Obedience Club where she will stimulate her brain and have canine company?

Can you post her photo for us all to see.? This is one of my German Shepherd canine family the wonderful boy "TYSON" Good luck.

It sounds like your girl has developed some separation anxiety. It is very common and there are many ways to deal with it. Have a look at the many websites that deal with it. I like Ceasar Milans site. Good luck.

I have two dogs at home, a Schnauzer and a mix Silky Terrier. Both are around 6 years old. And they roam freely in my house. There is a specially designated area for my dogs to pee and poop inside the house and they have been doing so all along, until half a year ago (or maybe longer). My Schnauzer started peeing on the floor near the designated area.

Then recently it got worse as he pees even in the living room, kitchen, and even at his sleeping area (basically every corner in the house is possible). Most of the time, he does that only when you are not looking. But I did catch him peeing with my own eyes before and that is when I sounded and showed that I'm upset.

I am told that you need to show your dog that you're upset only when you catch him peeing wrongly and not after the action is done and only evidence is left behind. However, apparently it still didn't work. I've even tried sounding at him after the pee is found and have been doing it consistently, but it isn't helping.

He does seem to know and feel guilty about it, yet he is still doing it. I really feel helpless about it. I am not sure why he's doing it and have no idea how to solve the problem. As mentioned, this has been going on for quite some time now. Sometimes it's as frequent as twice a day and sometimes there is 'peace' for one whole week. It's basically done very randomly. I would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me on this problem of mine. Thanks in advance! :)

I am just after some advice as we are really at a loss as to what to do. We have 2 Yorkie dogs a male and a female they are both coming up to 2 years old, both are neutered. Our female is wetting everywhere in the house, mainly on her beds and fabric. She seems to have regressed loads from where she was with her house training.

When we got her at 8 weeks she was already house trained as she used to go outside in the garden with her mum and siblings. She obviously had some issues with wetting in the house as she was little, but overall she was really good. She even helped our Yorkie boy who we already had but is from a different litter to go outside. I did have to remove rugs as they would both wet on these, but we did use puppy pads. They go for walks and neither have a problem going outside whilst on walks. She was totally and fully house trained.

The problems started after we went on holiday for 2 weeks. We put them into kennels and ever since she has had problems which seem to be behavioural. They have a crate which is always left open and also a bed in our living room. They both share their beds, but both dogs began to really smell of wee and at first we just couldn't figure out what was happening. I suspected she was weeing in the crate it had, at the time, a fleece type padded bottom and I would regularly wash it, but it was difficult to tell as it totally absorbed everything. Anyhow after weeks of this I noticed that when I had been out and came back to the house she refused to go outside and would run to her bed or her crate. I caught her peeing in her crate, but properly just laying there doing it which she now does regularly. I put her outside and from then the fun has begun!

Our male doesn't wet anywhere apart from outside in the garden and he tells you when he wants to go out. I bought them 2 new beds that are waterproof, one for our living room and one for their crate. When put outside she will refuse to go, wait until she is inside and run to her bed and wet no matter how long she is in the garden for and she will bark excessively until you let her in causing our neighbours to complain. If she ever does wet outside she is praised loads. I have even opened the garden door and she will go to run outside. But she will then quickly jump on her living room bed and wee with the garden door wide open. She will jump onto curtains and try and wee on those. It's a total nightmare.

We have spoken to the vets and she has no urine infection or bladder problems and her wee doesn't smell or look infected at all. She will totally refuse to go outside when it's very cold, but will go outside and lay in the sun and sun bathe when it's sunny. She is a little diva haha! A cute one though! I have some anti-enzyme spray and clean their beds regularly and spray that and she also goes on 2 walks a day, but it's still not stopping. She will also wet on the floor when she gets excited at seeing someone so I am thinking could there be a bladder issue and we have just been fobbed off by the vets as it's the same vets that neutered her?

Saying that though she is able to hold it for a good few hours until we arrive home. We are just baffled. Luckily we have hard flooring so anything can be cleaned easily, but we also have kids and a baby on the way and it's not ideal hygiene wise. Out of the two dogs she is the most dominant and barks a lot, but at the same time very submissive towards people, yet also demanding of attention. If the male gets stroked and a fuss, she will jump in front of him every time and want attention. Yet she dominates the male dog and has him wrapped around her little paw. I am totally confused by her and want to get this issue sorted so she is a happier dog

I have 3 male dogs, 2 of them are 2 year old Havanese, and the other is a 1 year old Pomeranian. All 3 of them are house trained and go outside. My oldest first dog has just started this new thing where he pees everywhere and anywhere inside the house, but only at night time while I'm sleeping. If I'm awake there are no accidents, but when I wake up in the AM I will find spots on the corner of the couch, near refrigerator, and even by his food & water bowl. I don't know what to do. Should I get dog diapers? Or remove their food/water? Any advice?

I have a 4yr old Border Terrier who has started peeing in the house at night. I put her back in her crate last night and she peed in there also.

By Pat W.

Best Answer

Sounds like a possible bladder infection or kidney problem. A Vet will be able to tell you.

My dog has suddenly started peeing all over the house. Could this be due to the cat being in heat? He is not marking; it's a lot of pee. I had him checked by a vet; it is not medical.

By P L

Best Answer

I don't think it would be the cat. I think you need a 2nd opinion. Unless your dog is quite old I think this is a medical problem. Could be a bladder infection, and it could be diabetes (which is not hard to treat). Find a new Vet.

Can steroids and antibiotics cause my dog to pee more often? My sweet girl Athena is a Lab mix, she just got back from the vet, she had an ear infection. Well since then she has been less active, constantly eating, and always wanting to go outside and pee. And I used to be able to leave her for 4-6hrs (working) by herself in my house. Now she can't hold it; is it because of the steroids and antibiotics that are messing with her? Or is it a more serious problem?

By Leonor J.

Answer Was this helpful? 3

Hello, Please call your Veterinarian for these answers. If it is not the medication there might be another reason for constantly wanting to urinate. Good luck with your fur baby.

I need some helpful tips and ideas on what to do with my dog! He's very attached to me and follows me everywhere. When I'm gone at work or just leave the house, he gets mad and pees on the corners of beds, couches, and on the floors. I live with my parents and sisters; this dog gets more attention and love than any other dog I have met.

When I'm not working I'm home and we go for car rides. I take him to Petsmart and play outside. Nothing I do is good enough for this dog and the peeing is getting worse, no matter how many times I let him out to use the bathroom. My family is sick of it and I don't wanna get rid of him. He's my baby, but if something doesn't change we're both going to be kicked out.

By Leslie

He needs professional dog training.

I have a 2 year old male dog that has started peeing in the house. I've talked very straight to him; he hides when I yell at him. I don't know what do. Please help.

By Janie S.

Try letting him out more often. He may be upset with you or another animal in the house?....etc. He may be marking his territory for multiple reasons.

He needs to be checked for a urinary infection.

When you correct him, be sure you correct him in a normal tone of voice. If you shout he is frightened and will not get the message. You need to verbally correct him within 10 seconds of the offense, or he will not connect it to what has happened, and again he will be frightened and/or confused, and will not get the message. Do check for a urinary tract infection; and be sure to clean and deoderize the accident (Natures Miracle enzymatic cleaner) Check to see what has changed that may be upsetting him (new dog next door, new baby, new boyfriend etc) If it can be changed, change it. Otherwise make sure he gets lots of your attention and more exercise, and plenty of trips outside. Good luck!

I have a Dachshund male who has been neutered. He is house broken, but tonight he peed on our new couch and next to my son's bed just 40 min after my husband took him out. What should I do to correct his behavior? I am working on finding a trainer, but didn't have time before the move. He had a consultation and they said he is insecure and and afraid which is why he barks at people and doesn't like bigger breeds. But I won't be able to get a trainer for at least a month so I need some advice on what to do on my own. I am going to take him to vet to see if he has a health issue, but his peeing in the house isn't consistent. I think something upset him, but I need to get to bottom of it asap.

Load More