Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Previously House Trained Dog Peeing Indoors

Your dog could be reacting to changes in the household or possibly have a health problem. This guide is about previously house trained dog peeing indoors.

February 4, 2010 Flag

Dog accidents may be a sign of a bladder infection. When my dog had bladder infection it took three or four weeks worth of antibiotics to clear it up. She hasn't gotten it back since. She had the same symptoms as the dog that pees on the bed.

By Granny from Austin, MN

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My female lab/mix was leaving little puddles almost everytime she sat down. I gave her incontinence meds to no avail. She got so bad we took her to our vet and he found a urinary tract infection. Three weeks of antibiotics cleared it up. Female dogs are very prone to UTI. Worth checking into.

I have two dogs at home, a Schnauzer and a mix Silky Terrier. Both are around 6 years old. And they roam freely in my house. There is a specially designated area for my dogs to pee and poop inside the house and they have been doing so all along, until half a year ago (or maybe longer). My Schnauzer started peeing on the floor near the designated area.

Then recently it got worse as he pees even in the living room, kitchen, and even at his sleeping area (basically every corner in the house is possible). Most of the time, he does that only when you are not looking. But I did catch him peeing with my own eyes before and that is when I sounded and showed that I'm upset.

I am told that you need to show your dog that you're upset only when you catch him peeing wrongly and not after the action is done and only evidence is left behind. However, apparently it still didn't work. I've even tried sounding at him after the pee is found and have been doing it consistently, but it isn't helping.

He does seem to know and feel guilty about it, yet he is still doing it. I really feel helpless about it. I am not sure why he's doing it and have no idea how to solve the problem. As mentioned, this has been going on for quite some time now. Sometimes it's as frequent as twice a day and sometimes there is 'peace' for one whole week. It's basically done very randomly. I would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me on this problem of mine. Thanks in advance! :)

Hi, but my dog does it randomly. If he has physical problems, it wouldn't be done randomly?

March 8, 2017 Flag

We have two 3 year old Cocker Spaniels who are both fully house trained. We have a doggy door and the dogs are free to come and go as they need and want to.

A couple of months ago one or both of them started weeing inside at night time, while we are asleep. We can't think of any changes, they both sleep with us and always have, so we know it's not a separation issue as they are with us when they go to do it. Although on Sunday, I was out early in the morning while my husband was still in bed, I got home to find 5 wees inside - he said that they had been howling.

I have started taking them out to the back grass every night and at regular times to get them into that habit and reward them when they do the toilet. I have also limited their water at night. Last night I took them out at 8.30 and again at 9.30; at 6.30 am I came downstairs to 3 wees inside.

It's too hard to catch them in the act and correct them because we are asleep. I don't believe it's a medical issue, as they don't do it during the day when we are home or at work.

I have no idea what to do or how to break the habit, other than limiting their water at night, taking them out to wee and spraying the areas with spray that's supposed to stop marking. The thing is that it's more than marking, it's not small amounts.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If there doesn't seemed to be anything odd with the urine itself or your dog in pain when peeing, you can try this. I tried it on my senior dog Pickles (RIP) and he learned right away actually. I was so proud of him. :) Get a large cookie pan (just enough edging to catch the urine) and place newspaper on it. At first a little bit of the newspaper with soaked up urine so it will encourage him. If he wants to go inside he can, and it is easy clean up !

I am just after some advice as we are really at a loss as to what to do. We have 2 Yorkie dogs a male and a female they are both coming up to 2 years old, both are neutered. Our female is wetting everywhere in the house, mainly on her beds and fabric. She seems to have regressed loads from where she was with her house training.

When we got her at 8 weeks she was already house trained as she used to go outside in the garden with her mum and siblings. She obviously had some issues with wetting in the house as she was little, but overall she was really good. She even helped our Yorkie boy who we already had but is from a different litter to go outside. I did have to remove rugs as they would both wet on these, but we did use puppy pads. They go for walks and neither have a problem going outside whilst on walks. She was totally and fully house trained.

The problems started after we went on holiday for 2 weeks. We put them into kennels and ever since she has had problems which seem to be behavioural. They have a crate which is always left open and also a bed in our living room. They both share their beds, but both dogs began to really smell of wee and at first we just couldn't figure out what was happening. I suspected she was weeing in the crate it had, at the time, a fleece type padded bottom and I would regularly wash it, but it was difficult to tell as it totally absorbed everything. Anyhow after weeks of this I noticed that when I had been out and came back to the house she refused to go outside and would run to her bed or her crate. I caught her peeing in her crate, but properly just laying there doing it which she now does regularly. I put her outside and from then the fun has begun!

Our male doesn't wet anywhere apart from outside in the garden and he tells you when he wants to go out. I bought them 2 new beds that are waterproof, one for our living room and one for their crate. When put outside she will refuse to go, wait until she is inside and run to her bed and wet no matter how long she is in the garden for and she will bark excessively until you let her in causing our neighbours to complain. If she ever does wet outside she is praised loads. I have even opened the garden door and she will go to run outside. But she will then quickly jump on her living room bed and wee with the garden door wide open. She will jump onto curtains and try and wee on those. It's a total nightmare.

We have spoken to the vets and she has no urine infection or bladder problems and her wee doesn't smell or look infected at all. She will totally refuse to go outside when it's very cold, but will go outside and lay in the sun and sun bathe when it's sunny. She is a little diva haha! A cute one though! I have some anti-enzyme spray and clean their beds regularly and spray that and she also goes on 2 walks a day, but it's still not stopping. She will also wet on the floor when she gets excited at seeing someone so I am thinking could there be a bladder issue and we have just been fobbed off by the vets as it's the same vets that neutered her?

Saying that though she is able to hold it for a good few hours until we arrive home. We are just baffled. Luckily we have hard flooring so anything can be cleaned easily, but we also have kids and a baby on the way and it's not ideal hygiene wise. Out of the two dogs she is the most dominant and barks a lot, but at the same time very submissive towards people, yet also demanding of attention. If the male gets stroked and a fuss, she will jump in front of him every time and want attention. Yet she dominates the male dog and has him wrapped around her little paw. I am totally confused by her and want to get this issue sorted so she is a happier dog

Looks like a retraining would be great. After all the trauma she has experienced, no wonder! I hope that you find a solution, for Im sure it's as frustrating for her as it is for you.

I have 3 male dogs, 2 of them are 2 year old Havanese, and the other is a 1 year old Pomeranian. All 3 of them are house trained and go outside. My oldest first dog has just started this new thing where he pees everywhere and anywhere inside the house, but only at night time while I'm sleeping. If I'm awake there are no accidents, but when I wake up in the AM I will find spots on the corner of the couch, near refrigerator, and even by his food & water bowl. I don't know what to do. Should I get dog diapers? Or remove their food/water? Any advice?

Most likely he is marking her territory. I would first take him to the vet though, to rule out any other problems.

February 16, 2015 Flag

My Lulu, a Japanese Spritz is potty trained and recently has been pooping and peeing sometimes at home. We bought her 3 weeks ago and she recently started sneezing and peeing inside. What should I do?

By Diana from Ghazieh, Lebanon

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I have some questions here. You say she is certainly potty trained, yet you only bought her three weeks ago. What is your guarantee she is potty trained?

Was the dog in a kennel, a store or in a person's home when you bought her?

I would suggest you act as if her house training was incomplete and continue her training just like you would a puppy.

I have an 8 yr old Bishon Frise. He is neutered and house broken, but after he goes outside and pees he comes in and pees on the corners of everything. He does it a lot when the grandbaby comes to visit. What can I do to get him to stop? He does it out of spite, I think.

He may be marking his territory, especially if he does it when the baby comes over. First you can clean all the couch corners and other places he has sprayed with a remedial bacterial product like Rid-X or Natures Miracle, or any product containing bacteria recommended for cleaning clogged kitchen sinks or septic tanks. These products contain the bacteria that eat the organic matter, just like breaking down leaves in the forest. They remain in an inactive spore form until they come into contact with wet organic matter. I would recommend spraying the upholstery generously and covering the areas with plastic bags for a few days to allow the bacteria to eat and reproduce. Once the bacteria have eaten all of the organic matter, the dogs urine, they stop reproducing and the smell should be gone. This would take care of any cat spray, cat urine or other organic matter that your dog can smell, even though we cannot. If a cat has visited and brushed up against corners, as they do, your dog may be trying to cover the areas up with his own scent to mark his territory.

To find all the places that may have cat or dog urine you would use a black light in a completely dark room to see that the urine lights up.

I agree that dogs don't feel spite. However, if the dog is always put outside when the baby visits, he may feel anxious, causing him to urinate when he comes in to mark his territory. If he is put outside you could try letting him stay inside instead and see if he still feels he needs to mark. Best of luck.

December 28, 2016 Flag

My three year old dog has started urinating on things in the house when left alone. He has a doggy door and can come and go inside and out whenever he pleases so I know it's not a matter of just needing to go.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I could be a number of things. UTI, he is trying to get your attention, not wanting to go out because another animal is out there that he is avoiding, or do you clean with ammonia? It attracts animals to urinate.

March 3, 2015 Flag

My dog, Yogi, is 3 yrs old. He has been with me since he was 1 and a half. Although we bring him outdoors 3 times a day he is still peeing in the house randomly. Please help with some possible solutions, as I fear my hubby is getting fed up with his actions and I'm afraid he wants to give him up for adoption. I would hate to see this happen.

By Alicia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

There can be many reasons why Yogi has trouble keeping his urination needs to your schedule. He may have a medical problem that results in his inability to hold his urine. Take your dog to your vet to rule out any medical issues. You vet can also help you with suggestions to help you help Yogi. If possible, you might consider a "doggie door" to allow Yogi to go outside when he needs to pee.

November 25, 2016 Flag

I have two male dogs. They're 3yrs old and housebroken, but the last few days I came home from work and one of them had peed on my two space heaters and my vacuum. Today I came home from work and my vacuum was peed on again and my couch arm was peed on. I covered the space heater in my room with a towel that was wet. What do I do?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

YOu may have to reintroduce them to the crate training program again. Something has happened to make him forget. Either that, or he is ill and this is his way of manifesting that.

It is imperative to get rid of the odour as much as possible, becuase at times the smell makes them believe that this is where they are supposed to pee. Enzymatic cleaners, hydrogen peroxide, and baking soda are great for eliminating the odour.

My grandson who was born 5-1-2016 and his mum live with me. My dog has never peed in the house before, yet for 2 weeks now she keeps peeing on her bedding and just a few days ago peed on my daughter's bed. I don't know what to do.

9 year old Boston terrier that has been house broke and a female also, we rescued a puppy and all o's a sudden 2 years later both of them and the now the 2 year old have been peeing a lover the house.what can we do?

February 5, 2011 Flag

I have a 4 year old track rescued Greyhound. She has been a challenge since we got her (her sister is fine). For about 8 months she did really well, then recently started peeing in the house on occasion again. We have a neighbor coming in to let both dogs out midday, and we limit the water intake, yet 3 times this month she peed. It is in the same spot all the time even though we use Nature's Miracle to clean it up. It is not a medical issue, and seems to happen if we are home after 6pm. Is she afraid of the dark? We are getting frustrated trying to figure out what she is thinking. Any thoughts?

By Sally from Allentown, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you for this site. My 4 year old house-trained Shih Tzu just started peeing all over the place. Little puddles in the kitchen, little spots on the family room carpet... Tuesday she peed on the sofa back, where she sits to watch TV with me, and then the topper, while laying on my stomach Thursday, she looked up at me and let go.....and a wet warm sensation covered my Tshirt and shorts!

I knew there was something wrong and I found this site. Someone reported "Diabetes," someone else "urinary tract infection," then there was "bladder infection," and "21 kidney stones".

Let me tell you what my vet found. ,After hearing our story, she says "well her bladder is nice and firm the way it's supposed to be. Let's put her on anti-biotics and see if she has a urinary tract infection. If she's not better in 2 weeks, we can do an x-ray and see if something else is going on."

I said "She's here, how much is the x-ray?" Vet "$150" I said "let's do it now so we can rule it out" She does the x-ray and and comes back "Good Call...3/4 of her Bladder is full of a Stone the size of a quarter!"

Her bladder is only the size of a Golf ball when empty! Vet says "she can't control her bladder, and thinks it is full all the time because of the massive stone!" Baby girl has surgery Wednesday to remove the stone $800!

November 2, 2016 Flag

My American cocker Spaniel still pees in the house. He had stopped, but for the last 6 months has been doing it several times a day. He pees more when I am in the house! I can't continue with him weeing in the living room and my daugter's bedroom so he is in our dining room.

I let him come in the living room regularly for affection, and let him into the garden every hour for a wee. But he pees in the house as soon as I turn my back. He has no medical problem.

I really want to help him, as at the moment we are looking at dog parks for the house as he wees too often in the dining room, but I am worried that the crate/park won't actually change things once we stop using it. I want my dog to be free in the house and to have fun with us.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

He may be suffering from nerves, and also he may just need to be retrained. Whatever potty training method you used before, restart it.

One thing to do is to surprise him in the act. NOt in a mean way, but simply startle him out of the act and then immediately take him outside. Eventually he should get the picture.

I have 2 Pit breed dogs. One is female and is over 9yrs old and the other is a male and he is 4 yrs old. They both are spaded and neutered. Both have been house trained. We have recently moved to a new house 6 months ago. My 4yr old male Pit has just recently started peeing in front of the back door where he goes outside. He dribbles with pee until he reaches the door and usually has 2 puddles of pee on the floor. He also starts barking which wakes us up at 4 am during these 2 episodes.

I am at home during the day so they both get let out and have plenty time to empty their bladders. He is drinking water excessively that we have noticed because the water bowl is completely empty in the am. After he is let out in the am he goes straight to the water bowl to drink a lot of water. I plan to take him to vet because I have never had any issues like this before. The only thing different in his routine was that I had taken him to the vet to get bathed about 5 days ago because he weighs 117lbs. He is terrified of water and is a big baby, so it's hard to bath him. Please help with any suggestions. Thank you.

I did take my dog to the vet Friday morning and he was diagnosed with diabetes. Now we are having to give him insulin 2xday and a low calorie diet bc he needs to lose 20lbs... Thankful I took him in right away.

August 22, 2016 Flag

Why has my dog started going to the bathroom inside ever since we moved?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

He may not feel comfortable in the new location yet, or smells like another dog so he is marking his territory?

March 29, 2013 Flag

I have a 3 year old lab and and 1 year old Catahoula. Both are fully housebroken and have been for quite some time. Every day when I get home from work I immediately let them both out to use the bathroom and then run around and play together a while. When I was training them I would take them out on a leash and make them pee and poop before I would let them off to play so they know the order of how things need to work. Yesterday, about 30 minutes after I let them back in my Lab starting peeing on the floor. I stopped him and made him go outside to finish. He came back in and 30 minutes later did it again.

Tonight my husband and I were on one side of the house and both of our dogs were in the dining room laying on their beds. My husband walks into the room and again my Lab was peeing all over the floor. We get that cleaned and our Catahoula follows us to the bedroom jumps on the bed and pees all over it. It's large amounts of pee. They haven't been drinking more water than usual and I let them out to go out the same number of times as usual. What could be wrong?

By Jess B

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm not sure if you had both of your dogs spayed/neutered. If not, the lab is "marking" it's territory. Even if it's the younger dog that is in heat, the lab will mark. This time of the year, people open their windows to clear out the dead air space. If this is happening to you, you'll know how to take care of it. It can not be over looked that the lab has a bladder/kidney problem. Sometimes, if you have a good relationship with your vet, you can bring in a urine sample instead of having to pay for an office call. Ask the receptionist before bringing the sample over.

August 15, 2016 Flag

Why would a nine year old and and a 4 year old Boston Terrier start peeing in the house after they both were accident free? We rescued another puppy 2 years ago and recently had him fixed. I am thinking he was the reason, like a male dominance issue. But after that they all pee all over our house. What can we do? Please help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sounds like they are marking their territory..Once they start, its hard to stop them as the smell encourages them to continue. You may have to kennel them for awhile to break them of it while you deep clean,,,,,

Load More
Sad puppy laying next to wet spot on the floor with human finger pointing at it.
Dog Peeing in the House
Pets Dogs House TrainingDecember 5, 2012
Senior dog laying on wood floor in home, looking sad
Old Dog Peeing in House
Previously House Broken Dog Has Started Pooping in the House
House Trained Dog Pooping Inside
dog laying on a white couch
Dog Peeing Inside When Lying Down
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 29, 2017 at 10:57:46 AM on 10.0.1.78 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.