Previously House Trained Dog Peeing Indoors

Your dog could be reacting to changes in the household or possibly have a health problem. This guide is about previously house trained dog peeing indoors.

November 25, 2016 Flag

I have two male dogs. They're 3yrs old and housebroken, but the last few days I came home from work and one of them had peed on my two space heaters and my vacuum. Today I came home from work and my vacuum was peed on again and my couch arm was peed on. I covered the space heater in my room with a towel that was wet. What do I do?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 16, 2015 Flag

My Lulu, a Japanese Spritz is potty trained and recently has been pooping and peeing sometimes at home. We bought her 3 weeks ago and she recently started sneezing and peeing inside. What should I do?

By Diana from Ghazieh, Lebanon

Best Answer

I have some questions here. You say she is certainly potty trained, yet you only bought her three weeks ago. What is your guarantee she is potty trained?

Was the dog in a kennel, a store or in a person's home when you bought her?

I would suggest you act as if her house training was incomplete and continue her training just like you would a puppy.

Best Answer

March 1, 2016 Flag

My grandson who was born 5-1-2016 and his mum live with me. My dog has never peed in the house before, yet for 2 weeks now she keeps peeing on her bedding and just a few days ago peed on my daughter's bed. I don't know what to do.

9 year old Boston terrier that has been house broke and a female also, we rescued a puppy and all o's a sudden 2 years later both of them and the now the 2 year old have been peeing a lover the house.what can we do?

October 13, 2016 Flag

So my 2 year old Corgi who is house broken just started dribbling pee everywhere these last two days. He has never had an accident in the house before until yesterday morning. When we went to let him outside he was walking and peeing for a good 7 ft. Last night after we fed him he ran inside and threw up like 2 minutes later. Then at 2 am this morning he was sleeping in my room when he randomly stood up and starting walking and peeing around my room until he stopped in front of my door and peed a giant puddle.

So I put him outside and when my parents let him inside this morning at around 6 am he jumped up on their bed and when my step dad went to pet him he peed on their bed. I'm asking my parents to take him to the vet ASAP, but my stepdad just says that he's staying outside from now on. He won't believe me that I strongly believe it's a medical issue and not a behavioral issue. If anyone has any help or advice that would be so appreciated!

It is really unusual for a 2 year old dog to be behaving this way. It may be a bladder infection, a neurological spinal issue or diabetes. But in any case I totally agree with you that your dog needs to see a Vet. Can you afford to take him yourself? If not can you earn some money to help with costs? Sometimes parents can't afford Vet care. Can you talk to your Mom about helping to pay for a Vet visit? If not your Mom, maybe an aunt, friend or a cousin? If your parents see you making an effort maybe they will rethink their position. You can also call local Vets and ask if they have a fund for clients unable to pay (my Vet does). As a last resort, you can surrender your dog to the local humane society or rescue group and he will get medical care. But if you surrender him, he will be placed in a new home. Be sure and find a rescue group that is "no kill". I am so sorry you are in this tough position. But I have a feeling that you are someone who will get the job done in spite of the circumstances. Good luck to you and your dog.

March 3, 2015 Flag

My dog, Yogi, is 3 yrs old. He has been with me since he was 1 and a half. Although we bring him outdoors 3 times a day he is still peeing in the house randomly. Please help with some possible solutions, as I fear my hubby is getting fed up with his actions and I'm afraid he wants to give him up for adoption. I would hate to see this happen.

By Alicia

Best Answer

There can be many reasons why Yogi has trouble keeping his urination needs to your schedule. He may have a medical problem that results in his inability to hold his urine. Take your dog to your vet to rule out any medical issues. You vet can also help you with suggestions to help you help Yogi. If possible, you might consider a "doggie door" to allow Yogi to go outside when he needs to pee.

September 29, 2016 Flag

My 6 year old Poodle has started peeing on the rug in front of the door during the night. Any other time during the day or evening if the door is shut he lets me know that he wants to go out. I did have a female dog visit who had peed on the same rug, but doesn't visit any more. Could this have something to do with the problem now and have you any suggestions on how to stop it? Thank you.

Sometimes a visiting dog marks territory that isn't theirs and it makes the resident dog insecure. Your dog is marking his territory. For some reason he gets nervous about it at night, possibly because it's quiet and there aren't other distractions to think about.

First, replace this rug. There is no way to clean it now and get all the smell out. Your dog will smell it even if you don't.

Next, boost your dog's confidence by taking him out for an evening walk around his neighborhood. Allow him to pee on all posts, bushes, etc. This is territory claiming behavior.

Last, you'll want to seriously consider crate training. It works on the principle that dogs instinctively dislike soiling their dens. By training a dog to stay in a crate at night they learn to hold it until morning. Here's a link to crate training an adult dog.

http://www.labradortraininghq.com/l ... ing/how-to-crate-train-an-older-dog/

January 29, 2016 Flag

I have 2 Pit breed dogs. One is female and is over 9yrs old and the other is a male and he is 4 yrs old. They both are spaded and neutered. Both have been house trained. We have recently moved to a new house 6 months ago. My 4yr old male Pit has just recently started peeing in front of the back door where he goes outside. He dribbles with pee until he reaches the door and usually has 2 puddles of pee on the floor. He also starts barking which wakes us up at 4 am during these 2 episodes.

I am at home during the day so they both get let out and have plenty time to empty their bladders. He is drinking water excessively that we have noticed because the water bowl is completely empty in the am. After he is let out in the am he goes straight to the water bowl to drink a lot of water. I plan to take him to vet because I have never had any issues like this before. The only thing different in his routine was that I had taken him to the vet to get bathed about 5 days ago because he weighs 117lbs. He is terrified of water and is a big baby, so it's hard to bath him. Please help with any suggestions. Thank you.

I did take my dog to the vet Friday morning and he was diagnosed with diabetes. Now we are having to give him insulin 2xday and a low calorie diet bc he needs to lose 20lbs... Thankful I took him in right away.

September 7, 2016 Flag

I noticed last night that one of our dogs has been peeing on like everything! I got looking and it's like he has peed on any box or basket that's on the floor, even the back of the couch! The younger one wears a belly band (he's not neutered yet) because we thought he was the culprit in the past for a few accidents. I am surprised that the older one (he's 4) is doing this, not sure if he smells old accidents or what. Any ideas on what to use to clean a big amount/area, carpet, couch, wicker basket, etc.? Im afraid to even have anything on the darn floor at this point! Could it be because the younger one isn't fixed yet. I am frustrated, any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

How old is the younger one? Is he adolescent? Hormonal changes in adolescence will make him start to smell more like an adult male, which can lead your older dog to do this territorial marking behavior. It may eventually lead to aggression and fighting if not stopped. So try to get the younger dog neutered when your next check comes in.

There are people who argue for a later neuter because it's possible it's better for the health of the dog in the long run. I don't know if that's true or not. It hasn't been proven to my satisfaction.

I do know that getting a dog neutered before they are six months often solves behavioral problems before they even start, and can keep dogs in your household from fighting over things like territory and females.

November 2, 2016 Flag

My American cocker Spaniel still pees in the house. He had stopped, but for the last 6 months has been doing it several times a day. He pees more when I am in the house! I can't continue with him weeing in the living room and my daugter's bedroom so he is in our dining room.

I let him come in the living room regularly for affection, and let him into the garden every hour for a wee. But he pees in the house as soon as I turn my back. He has no medical problem.

I really want to help him, as at the moment we are looking at dog parks for the house as he wees too often in the dining room, but I am worried that the crate/park won't actually change things once we stop using it. I want my dog to be free in the house and to have fun with us.

February 5, 2011 Flag

I have a 4 year old track rescued Greyhound. She has been a challenge since we got her (her sister is fine). For about 8 months she did really well, then recently started peeing in the house on occasion again. We have a neighbor coming in to let both dogs out midday, and we limit the water intake, yet 3 times this month she peed. It is in the same spot all the time even though we use Nature's Miracle to clean it up. It is not a medical issue, and seems to happen if we are home after 6pm. Is she afraid of the dark? We are getting frustrated trying to figure out what she is thinking. Any thoughts?

By Sally from Allentown, PA

Thank you for this site. My 4 year old house-trained Shih Tzu just started peeing all over the place. Little puddles in the kitchen, little spots on the family room carpet... Tuesday she peed on the sofa back, where she sits to watch TV with me, and then the topper, while laying on my stomach Thursday, she looked up at me and let go.....and a wet warm sensation covered my Tshirt and shorts!

I knew there was something wrong and I found this site. Someone reported "Diabetes," someone else "urinary tract infection," then there was "bladder infection," and "21 kidney stones".

Let me tell you what my vet found. ,After hearing our story, she says "well her bladder is nice and firm the way it's supposed to be. Let's put her on anti-biotics and see if she has a urinary tract infection. If she's not better in 2 weeks, we can do an x-ray and see if something else is going on."

I said "She's here, how much is the x-ray?" Vet "$150" I said "let's do it now so we can rule it out" She does the x-ray and and comes back "Good Call...3/4 of her Bladder is full of a Stone the size of a quarter!"

Her bladder is only the size of a Golf ball when empty! Vet says "she can't control her bladder, and thinks it is full all the time because of the massive stone!" Baby girl has surgery Wednesday to remove the stone $800!

April 15, 2014 Flag

My fiance and I have three dogs; a Boxer, and two Yorkies from different parents. Our oldest Yorkie's name is Lexi. The younger is Chloe. We got both of them when they were close to six weeks, Lexi is 1 1/2 years old and Chloe is almost 1. When we first got Lexi we house trained her, and then when we got Chloe we house trained her. Lexi was already trained when we got Chloe. Recently they have been making messes in the house at night when we are asleep. Is there a way to train them to wake me up at night if they need to go out?

Now they have been relieving themselves at other times of day when we are home. During the day when we are at work, they all stay outside. We are getting so frustrated and don't know what to do anymore. We discipline them by putting their nose by the spot and tapping them on the nose and saying "NO". Are we doing something wrong with this? Is there another way to discipline them that would be better?

By Brittany

Best Answer

The nose in the puddle training method has been pretty much debunked. If you do not catch a dog within 10 seconds and correct it, it does not have any idea what you are getting at. Check this website for ideas. It is a common problem. Good luck.

January 3, 2012 Flag

We (Tessa and I) have recently moved to Florida with my sister-in-law and their Beagle-Lab mix dog. My 4 year old Lab is peeing a significant amount of urine in the dining area lately, even when we are in the house!

Load More
Pets Dogs House TrainingDecember 5, 2012
Previously House Broken Dog Has Started Pooping in the House
House Trained Dog Pooping Inside
Litter Box
Cat Peeing Outside Litter Box
Sad puppy laying next to wet spot on the floor with human finger pointing at it.
Dog Peeing in the House
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
🎉
🎄