Homemade Cat Repellents

There are many areas of the home and garden that you may want to keep the cats out of. This guide is about homemade cat repellents.

Homemade Cat Repellents
Filter Sort

Question: Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

By Ethel Martinez 8 10

I need a deterrent to keep cats out of my yard. They are male strays that come over and fight at night and during the days they chase my dogs.

By Ethel from Boyd, TX

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By Sheila A. 9 Flag

There are hose and lawn sprinklers that come with motion detectors on them. When movement is detected, they turn on and drench the offending invader. This would work for cats, possums, and other night creatures. Just GOOGLE it and I am sure you can find a source. It was first invented for deer, but will work for all critters. If the spray doesn't hit them, the sudden noise will cause them to find other quieter places to prowl.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Grandma J 54 1,040 Flag

Moth balls are toxic to humans and animals. DON'T use them.

I found keeping my water hoses connected, a blast in the face was a reminder. I now have a dog and don't have issues either. Being consist will send the signal of which yards to stay away from.

For creating noise factor, bang a foil pie pan with cooking spoon, and run after them. I work too hard to have others cats or animals destroy my yard. Mine do not leave the property (leashed) nor do the kids damage or destroy anyone else's. So I expect my neighbors with pets to contain or control theirs. No excuse accepted.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Melanie Jackson 1 373 Flag

Pet shops, and possibly hardware stores, have different kinds of repellents to keep animals away from areas of your yard. I used to sprinkle hot, peppery types of spices around, but then someone on this forum told me it could hurt the animals' noses. So I guess it's smarter just to get something made for the job.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Citrus Does Not Repel Cats

By ray_tomlinson 1 1

I have 8 (yes 8) citrus trees in my back yard and the miserable cats lounge in the shade under them, right beside the lemons, oranges, grapefruit, and limes that are near the ground. I have even seen them climbing in the citrus trees after the humming birds, woodpeckers and other birds.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cat Repellent Spray

By Pati Mishler 49 59

I know there is a spray that you spray around your house where you don't want dogs to go. Is there also a spray to keep cats away? There are tons of cats around my house and you can smell cats when you leave the house.

Jamish from Tribune, KS

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By Rob 1 52 Flag

My friend had a big problem with cats peeing and pooing in his garden. His solution? He got a spray bottle and mixed water, Tabasco sauce, and pee. Yes, he used his own pee, not a lot. The mix was mostly water, so people could not smell it, even in hot summer. He hardly saw a cat, or cat mess in his garden after that.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

Cats don't like a citrus smell, and so spreading orange or lemon peels will help. What I used when I had a stray cat spraying the front of my house was lemon scented Mr. Clean. I doused the sprayed spot with this, and this seemed to discourage the stray cat.

I have used pellets to spread on the ground that I got from a hardware store, but they had an odd smell that I found disturbing. The cats didn't like it either, but I prefer the Mr. Clean idea. The pellets had to be reapplied after every rain.

NOTE: One thing not to use is moth balls. They keep the cats away all right, but they smell much worse than the cat smell. Besides, they are toxic to many other things, including people.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Homemade Cat Repellent For House Plants

By joe 2

I need to know how to make a homemade cat repellent for house plants.

Joe from Tecumseh, NE

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By LEONA LABINE 46 398 Flag

What I do is use the mesh bags that onions come in and spread them on the top of the soil in your plants. The cats don't like it because the mesh gets caught in their claws.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Keeping Cats From Pooping in the Yard

What will keep cats from messing in my yard? I have tried the repellents, I have tried home remedies such as, chili pepper, moth balls, and so many things I can't recall). What else can I do?

By Sylvia

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sullivan R. 1 Flag

I have Rosemary plants on both sides of my yard and the dang cats sleep under them at night, they love the shelter it gives them to launch out and grab the baby Cardinals when they fall from their nest, so now what...?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cat Repellents

Tips and advice about cat repellents. Post your ideas below.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By ThisGuyHatesCATS 1 Flag

I searched to find help on this cat situation too. I'm angry that these cats come into my yard and spray on my doors, patio furniture, or anything they want. It's discusting! I can't believe that people are allowing this in their homes (as I've read a couple times on here), I couldn't imagine the cat coming back inside my house after being kicked out for that!

What angers me is I don't own a cat,no one should have to put up with someone else's cat in their personal space. Let's just hope that the "humane" citrus option works! I'm not going to throw away all that money I spent on my yard stuff to some nasty cats.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cats Urinating on My Lawn

There are about 5 stray cats on my street. The neighbor next door feeds them and then they come to my lawn to pee, poop, and throw up. What homemade remedy can I use?

By Susan

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

I agree with the poster who said to skip mothballs. They are terribly poisonous to everything, including people, and the stench from them is as bad as or worse than the cat urine. I have purchased a cat repellant from Walmart that worked quite well. It also had a smell, but not obnoxious, and it had to be replaced every time it rained, but it worked. It kept my own cats from pooping on the front lawn. You might also try citrus peels, as those are not too unsightly and won't be a horrible smell. I kept stray cats from spraying the front of my house by splashing lemon scented Mr. Clean over the urine spots. This would work on fence posts, or tree trunks.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cat Pooping on Floor Next to Pig's Litterbox

I have several cats, all but 1 use the litter boxes. I also have a pot belly pig. My cat with the issue I feel thinks she's a pig. She goes on the floor next to my pig's litter box to poop, she uses one of the cat boxes to pee. I can't use orange or lemon peel as it's toxic to pigs. I tried putting an extra cat box next to the pig's, that was a big mistake, then all the cats decided to use it. I'm at my whits end and ready to get rid of her. Any suggestions?

By Leona V.R. from Abingdon, MD

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Amalia S 1 Flag

My sympathies on your situation with the cat. I am allergic but a lovely Siamese stray decided to have her litter on my back porch. I love animals in general so I am now the owner of 5 rambunctious kittens, 4 males and 1 female. I purchased Kittens for Dummies to make sure I was doing right by them and it gave me some very helpful information.

One of the male kittens is spraying my love-seat, and I have tried several different store bought products. None of been completely successful. I concluded that one particular remedy will not work on all of them. The kitty I suspect doesn't shy away from citrus scents so I had to find something else.

I used this site to create these homemade remedies, I figured if one didn't work I could try the other or maybe need to use all 3 which is the case. I checked before I decided to reply, Method 1, Cinnamon, Lavender, and Rosemary are not toxic to Pigs, but the combination of them should be enough to deter your cat from the pigs space. Good Luck

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Homemade-Cat-Repellent

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Keeping Cats from Using Yard as Litterbox

How do you deter cats from using the edge around the house to do their business? It's keeping the grass from growing, and stinking up the place.

By A Mccourt

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Dena Roberts 35 491 Flag

If they are spraying your house, you can also put some cheap mouthwash in to a spray bottle and spray it on your house to keep them away and get rid of the odour. DON'T USE cayenne pepper as it burns their eyes and they can actually scratch their eyes out to stop the pain. Burns the squirrels and rabbits eyes, too.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cat Keeps Pooping at Front Door

I have a cat that keeps coming to our front door and poops. What can I use to keep her away so she stops doing this?

By EF

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Babette 36 233 Flag

Cats really dislike citrus peels try putting several in onion bags and set them in the areas that it's been doing its business if it's in the dirt around your front porch you can just put the peelings on the ground and they smell good.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Repelling Outdoor Cats from My Yard

I have 2 indoor cats. Can I use their poop and pee to ward off the many outdoor cats from my yard? I would scatter their waste on the boundary of my property; I have a good supply:)

By BC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Grandma J 54 1,040 Flag

Check with your city ordinance. This may be on their list of don'ts. People can't leave dog poop on their yards, health hazard according to public health. And a dog kennel filled will also get you a police visit AND a humane society visit due to the poop standing.

I was with the humane society for several years and with intake, many calls about the poop. Esp if in yards where children could be walking or playing.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cat Deterrent

What household products can I use to keep cats off my property?

By Ray D

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Cindy Strouse 27 Flag

There is a product called Indoor No. It's a spray and can probably be found in pet stores. Also, I've read that citrus works well.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Homemade Natural Cat Repellent

We are looking for an inexpensive homemade natural repellent to keep stray cats out of our garden.

By Linda

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Ripple 1 Flag

Orange and lemon peels are a natural repellent. After they are very dry, their effectiveness may be reduced. I use them indoors to keep the cat off countertops. I've read that it works in the garden too.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Homemade Cat Repellent

How can I make homemade cat repellent for flowerbeds?

By Coy from Edmond, OK

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Try a half hardy plant called Coleus Canina, also known as Scardy Cat. It will grow in any kind of soil, has grey/green foliage, tiny blue flowers, and when crushed emits a foul odor. But cats cannot bear this plant at all. Plants need full sun or partial shade and require protection from frost during winter.

Regards,

Steve

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Keeping Cats Out of the Yard

I'm really scared of cats. Someone told me to sprinkle cayenne pepper around to keep them out of my yard. Is this a good idea? I just wanna keep them away with no harm.

By Vanessa

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 466 2,132 Flag

Louise is right. Dry some lemon peel and sprinkle it in your flower beds or the perimeter of your lawn. It makes a nice smell and it does keep them away. Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Outside Cat Repellent

Is ammonia good for keeping stray cats from pooping in the dirt beside my front porch?

By ct

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

Question: Citrus Scented Hanging Car Fresheners to Repel Cats

We have stray cats hanging around the perimeter of our house and the scent is driving our dog crazy, he is climbing behind the bushes, running and smelling all over. It is winter and cold in Wisconsin. I wonder if the "sprays" or fresh citrus would work in this type of weather. Has anyone tried staging citrus scented car fresheners; the ones that hang from the rearview mirrors?

By CLHT

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By cathy 2 61 Flag

You can sprinkle your used coffee grounds around the perimeter of your house and this will repel the cats as they do not like the coffee smell. It will also get rid of the pee smell. Then you will smell coffee but that's not a bad smell. Be generous.

Cathy from MA

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Keeping Cats Off the Furniture

I am looking for an indoor cat repellent. How can I keep my cat off the chairs and keep him from scratching them?

By Evonne

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By kellic9 1 Flag

Get a "scat mat" which is easily found online. Put it on the cats/pets favorite area for a couple weeks. Keep it on the low setting. Then buy the clear drawer/shelf liner which is found in just about any store. I get more for less at Ikea. Remove the "scat mat" and replace with the clear liner. Cats can't tell its not a scat mat and they steer clear of the liner. We just pick up the liner and store in closet when guests arrive. It looks much better than foil or tape all over the house. We put the scat mat back out on furniture every couple of months to remind them that the plastic is still not a desirable place to be.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cat Deterrent Spray

By Jemma C. 1

We recently got a new cat and four kittens. I have no problem with the kittens, they are adorable. We won't be keeping the cat for long, just until her kittens are old enough to live without her. What homemade spray can I use to keep her from pooing and weeing on my lounge and furniture? She is an outside cat. Will she and her kittens be okay in their cage? It has an opening on it just outside my back door.

By Jemma C

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Elaine F. 1 Flag

Have you provided a litter box with cat litter for her to use? It shouldn't matter if she's an outdoor cat, I'm sure she would use the litter tray. I speak from experience.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Keeping Cats Away from the Pool

If I spay lemon juice on the outside of my pool will that keep the cats from going near it? I just bought it and one has already put a hole in it. By falling in the water they destroyed my pool last year. Please help!

By Dottie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Janette 91 153 Flag

Cats hate the smell of citrus. Try putting any citrus peelings around the pool. I use this method to keep the cats out of my flower beds. Worked like a charm.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Homemade Cat Repellent

I need to keep cats away from my bird's nest.

By Nilda from Westley, CA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Keeping Cats Out of the Yard

I have two dogs that recently got fleas. I have been a pet owner for 25 plus years and never had fleas. Only thing I can think of is we recently moved. There are a couple stray cats one of which had her kittens on my deck. I am sure they are the source of my flea problem. And my dogs go nuts every morning because the cats have been in the yard overnight. What can I use to deter them from coming into my yard?

By Dlp

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cats Urinating on New Sod

I put new sod in. The feral cats urinate on my grass and kill patches of my sod.

By D Boston from El Cajon, CA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Keeping Stray Cats Away from Vehicles

We have stray cats hanging around our apartment complex because we have cat loving residents who feed them. These cats have destroyed the paint on our van. We now have a Suburban and the problem is not any better! Now we are even getting the males spraying on our windshield. We have service dogs and the cat problem is getting really bad. The animal control here will only pick up a cat if we trap it and then there is no telling when they will get around to collecting the animal.

By Pam D

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Homemade Cat Repellent

Is there a homemade cat repellent, to sprinkle on cement, wood etc. so the wild cats won't poop all over and stink up the place? I like the cats, but the poop really stinks.

Mary from Atascadero, CA

Answers:

RE: Homemade Cat Repellent

My dh uses cayenne pepper, just sprinkles it on.

RE: Homemade Cat Repellent

Believe it or not citrus works really well, we use cut up lemons, oranges or whatever surplus citrus we have. It works, we put in gardens to stop our cats using the gardens as toilets, also works on the wild strays that come around.

By nimwe

Archive: Homemade Cat Repellent

Does anyone have a recipe for natural cat repellent? I have heard there is such a recipe using vinegar but that is all the info I have. Thanks

Alisa from Wytheville, VA

Answers:

RE: Homemade Cat Repellent

This is no joke. A famous TV gardener mixed urine, hopefully male, citrus juice, cayenne and vinegar and sprayed the area. The urine dissuades cats and dogs from sharing the area with another possibly dangerous species. (07/06/2007)

By vickipoo

RE: Homemade Cat Repellent

If you're looking for an outdoor cat repellent, moth balls work well. Put the moth balls all around the base of the house, in bushes and any other places you want to repel the cats. (07/10/2007)

By SATellite

RE: Homemade Cat Repellent

Try a half hardy plant called Coleus Canina also known as Scardy Cat. It will grow in any kind of soil, has grey/green foliage, tiny blue flowers and when crushed emits a foul odour. But cats cannot bear this plant at all. Plants need full sun or partial shade and require protection from frost during winter. (09/03/2007)

By Steve

RE: Homemade Cat Repellent

Saw a recipe in newspaper. Vinegar, liquid soap and water. Equal parts. Spray on lawn.
    Recipe said use Dawn soap but any seems to work.

Urine or ammonia not good, will have cats return. In some climates citrate solutions (orange or lemon) attract bees. I've been trying the vinegar mix and getting good results no cats, or dogs.
    (10/01/2007)

By D. H. B..

RE: Homemade Cat Repellent

If you can afford it you can get one of those sprinklers that has an electric eye on it that squirts the cats as they enter your yard. That would be the 1st step. Then I use cayenne pepper spray and spray it as a thick as possible all around the perimeter. I mix this myself (ground pepper and water). I make it just thin enough to be able to come out of the sprayer nozzle.

Spray a path from the edge of the property (or beyond if you can, about 18 inches) to inside your property line about 6'. Cats can jump a long way in length and very high. I use one of those back pack weed sprayers that you don't have to constantly squeeze. I have a big yard. Spray the surrounding bushes and plants too. I avoid spraying the open blooms. You will have to repeat this regularly to keep it fresh until the cats learn it's not going away. You can also buy this with a wax base that will last longer. Hope this helps. We have to deal with coyotes and mountain lions, and this helps with them also. I spray it all around my gardens which the cats used to use as a cat box and the dogs would bury bones. No problem anymore! (03/25/2008)

By ChefBeth

RE: Homemade Cat Repellent

• 5 tablespoons of flour
    • 4 tablespoons of powdered mustard
    • 3 tablespoons of Cayenne Pepper
    • 2 tablespoons chili powder
    • 2 quarts of warm water
    Mix together and spray the perimeter. (05/03/2008)

By Chocol35

RE: Homemade Cat Repellent

• 20 drops -lemon oil
    • 10 drops -capsicum (Liquid) which is cayenne pepper
    • 20 drops -eucalyptus oil
    • 1 quart -water

Mix, shake well. May be sprayed on furniture, carpet, upholstery. These are approximate amounts. Experiment. (05/19/2008)

By ellens

RE: Homemade Cat Repellent

Some crushed garlic, cayenne, sugar, water, lemon, cinnamon. That is the best one. Cats hate it. (06/20/2008)

RE: Homemade Cat Repellent

Ladies and Gentlemen, I realize that cats can be destructive, BUT PLEASE DO NOT use cayenne or capsicium in your yards. It is extremely irritating and can be toxic to small children and animals. It activates pain receptors in a way that is difficult to turn off. As noted below, children and animals can get it in their eyes and cannot wash it out and it is excruciatingly painful.

(07/05/2008)

By Biologist

RE: Homemade Cat Repellent

Actually, it is just fine to use cayenne or derivatives. That's the point of pepper spray, which we in Colorado often carry on hikes to keep the predators at bay if needed. It won't cause, and has never caused, an animal or a person to claw their eyes. It burns (which is the point of spraying at a bear or cougar) for a while but is temporary. Plus it is better to effectively ward off stray cats from your children's play area than to have them contract Toxoplasma gondii. With cayenne, cats and other animals are generally smart enough to smell (or taste) and avoid. (07/06/2008)

By Coloradoan

RE: Homemade Cat Repellent

Look, stop poisoning animals, and just buy the darn Shake-Away stuff. How much do you spend on your garden and your gas-guzzling lawn mower? Maybe the citrus might be okay I guess, but cayenne, no! and mothballs--come on! Mothballs are a poison and you should NOT be using them at all anywhere near your home. (07/24/2008)

By Knitsy

RE: Homemade Cat Repellent

Just discovered this. Rosemary Essential Oil - cats run in fear. Try mixing a little of rosemary with water, and mist it onto areas that are problematic. If you have cats pee in your house like me, you'd much rather live with the rosemary smell than the cat urine smell. (08/19/2008)

By Josh

RE: Homemade Cat Repellent

Citrus will work. Don't use cayenne or moth balls! Moth balls are poisonous to all the animals in your yard, and if you need me to post a picture of a cat that has destroyed its own vision trying to get pepper oil out of its eyes, I can. Their tears are not the same as ours, and they have a membrane between their outer eyelid and eyeball. Imagine having a wet tissue soaked in cayenne between your eyelid and eyeball. (09/24/2008)

By redstar

RE: Homemade Cat Repellent

Citronella is great to use. It's safe as a repellent for all animals. My vet recommended I use a collar that sprays citronella instead of using a shock collar on my deaf border collie. I've also used it outside to keep cats off my porch, and to keep the cats inside off the kitchen counters, dining table, and pool table. (09/27/2008)

By Johnny

RE: Homemade Cat Repellent

For those of you who have houseplant-pottying cats: rather than using a substance as a deterrent, I have taken wooden chopsticks/bamboo skewers and placed them at intervals of a couple of inches in the dirt of the plant-pots. They're not unattractive -- you'll get used to it in a few days! -- and since our kitties would prefer not to have their bottoms poked, we've not had any houseplant-pottying since. This also works in small areas in the garden -- we've got our vegetable plot skewered (and laid-flat chicken-wired) as well. (11/09/2008)

By LoveMyKitties

RE: Homemade Cat Repellent

Upon reading a bit of the posts and seeing that there are orange trees in my own yard, I decided to try my own solution on my new outside cat that keeps sneaking in through the door when we enter the house. I'm not looking for some plant solution, some this or that fix, but I have found it thanks to you guys! I grabbed an orange (still green), brought it inside, and squished some juice into a cup. Then I added a little warm water, put it in my DIY water dripper (water bottle with small hole in cap), and dripped water all over the entry rug. The cat instantly would refuse to enter the house!

Ta da! Instant fix as of a few minutes ago. I'm not sure if this will bring other pests (ants, etc.), but for now it is definitely doing its job well. Just thought I would share! (12/02/2008)

By Orange Grove solution??

RE: Homemade Cat Repellent

Plant rosemary all around your perimeter, low maintenance, and it works. Cats hate it.

(12/15/2008)

By lvm

RE: Homemade Cat Repellent

I feel most of these solutions are inhumane. With all due respect. I decided to make a little fun from my out of control cat problem, 8 cats and about 12 offspring. I decided to teach my 9 year old daughter how to make a nice cat trap. We started by feeding the cats and getting them to come around more and more. Then we made various forms of traps using everything from blankets, boxes and milk baskets. We then trap the cats and take them to the local humane society. It made for great quality time with my daughter and the cats are unharmed. Great fun! (01/09/2009)

Archive: Keeping Cats Out of Yard

Every day when I wake up, my backyard is filled with fresh cat poop. It's a nightmare. My daughter is highly allergic to cats, there are flies everywhere and the yard smells unbearable. They lay on my flower beds and smash the flowers. I'm out picking up poop everyday (and I don't have a pet for that reason). I have to cover up my garden every night before sunset or they'll destroy that too. I'm at my wits end.

By KBennett from Chandler, AZ

Feedback:

RE: Keeping Cats Out of Yard

You can use mothballs or sprinkle cayenne pepper around. You will have to reapply it periodically and after a rain. (05/04/2009)

By Anonymous

RE: Keeping Cats Out of Yard

Are you sure it's cat poop? Cat's don't usually leave their feces uncovered. That's why they like sand boxes, because it's easy to cover their poop with the sand. Cat's do like to "mark their territory" by spraying urine on doors, etc, but I've never known a cat to leave it's feces uncovered. You could try spraying ammonia or vinegar around your yard. I've read somewhere that cats hate those odors. (05/04/2009)

By Patty Lynn

RE: Keeping Cats Out of Yard

I got rid of skunks and cats. I sprinkled Citronella oil around my fence and flower beds. They will not cross over it. (05/07/2009)

By ladybug1512

RE: Keeping Cats Out of Yard

Cats don't like the smell of citronella. What I did was buy a large bag of citronella tea lights. They last for a long time and worked great for me especially in the garden below my window where the cat odour was. (05/07/2009)

By ylvasteve

RE: Keeping Cats Out of Yard

Mothballs are toxic to cats. They will cause liver damage that kills the pet. If someone finds out, they can take you to small claims court for animal cruelty, and yes, you will end up with a record. It is a felony in most states. Think before using this one.

Several abandoned cats live next to us now, and I have two of my own. Cats always cover their feces, possums don't. I have a few possums that come around at night, scrounge for food, and leave their feces everywhere, all uncovered. They are quiet, come and go quickly, and can make a mess. It took me a while to realize the problem. (05/08/2009)

By susanmajp

RE: Keeping Cats Out of Yard

I agree that it doesn't really sound like cats, unless they are really disturbed. I did have a farm cat that didn't cover. I believe that she was not properly taught by her own mother or perhaps had some sort of psychological issues, as we had multiple cats at the time, several of whom were her kittens. She was the only one who left piles on the lawn. You are sure it is cats? I have had over 20 cats on my farm, and other than this one with the bathroom problem, they didn't bother anything veggies, flowers, gardens, nothing was damaged in any way. I had many rock gardens and flowerbeds and vegetable gardens. The only thing my present cats have harmed was the catnip I planted for them; they loved it to oblivion. But they don't hurt anything else.

You can buy cat repellents at pet and hardware stores. I had some that was some sort of green granules that you sprinkled on the lawn. I had to reapply after a rain. I have tried mothballs in the past, and the smell of those is worse than the cat smell. Since it is so toxic, I wouldn't use it at all. The smell is truly horrible, and of course is not healthy for people either.

I have my own cats now and so they keep other cats out of the yard. Perhaps you should get a dog?
    I did have stray cats that sprayed the front of the house, and I had very good results by splashing lemon scented Mr. Clean around on the front. It covered up and washed away the urine stains, and seemed to keep the stray cats away as well. (05/18/2009)

By louel53

Archive: Homemade Cat Repellent

I have two cats, but there are a lot of stray cats in our neighborhood. This is a problem because a stray tom cat has been sneaking into our basement window and spraying. What can I use as a cat repellent that won't bother my own cats? Is there anything that I can use to take the tom cat's spray smell out?

Desirae

Feedback:

RE: Homemade Cat Repellent

Wow, there's lots of controversy about cayenne pepper. I'd stay away from it just in case. And mothballs can cause liver damage to cats, both yours and the stray, so I'm sure you don't want to take a chance on harming your pets. It might just be easiest to close the window or at least screen it. Stores sell lots of enzyme cleaners to clean such smells, but I've never had to buy them so I'm not sure of their names. I'm sure if you Googled it, you'd find the brand names. Best of luck. (03/07/2009)

By susanmajp

RE: Homemade Cat Repellent

For the smell that the male cat has left in your house, use OUT!. It is by far the best product I have ever used. You can get it at Walmart or Kmart (I buy it a Kmart, 11.99 for a gallon vs. 8.99 for 1/2 gallon at Walmart). I raise boxers so I often have puppies in my house.

My friend had a male cat that was marking in all the corners of her house before she got him fixed. You would walk in her house and the odor would hit you like a wall. I took a spray bottle filled with OUT! over, sprayed it in all the corners and the next day the smell was gone.

This product is not just a cover-up, it actually neutralizes the urine smell. It smells nice too which is just an added bonus. It has to be tested for color-fastness, but can be used on hardwood floors, concrete, carpets, furniture and even put in your washing machine for your laundry. It will even get dried poop stains out. I even put it in my steam cleaner every time I shampoo my carpets.

(03/07/2009)

By boxergirl76

Archive: Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

We have a couple stray cats around here that holler, moan, and cry all night long. How can I keep them out of my driveway and yard? I have a small dog and he goes crazy when they start all their noise.

Thanks for the help.

By Mooses Mom from FL

Feedback:

RE: Keeping Cats Out of Yard

If you're sure these cats are strays and don't belong to a neighbor, you can call your local Humane Society (the pound), they usually have (free to borrow) safe traps that you can use to catch these strays then take them to the humane society where they may be able to find homes for them after they've been "fixed". Sometimes they'll come and pick them up. These traps don't hurt the animal. I know this because an old neighbor of mine caught 3 stray cats this way and also 2 nasty raccoons.

This is because we used to live 2 houses away from a cat hoarder who had over a dozen cats, so when her house burned down they stayed in the neighborhood after she moved away. We kept one of the friendlier cats as a "porch cat" and named her "cute-face" and fed her daily. The other cats weren't as friendly so my neighbor trapped them and took them to a no-kill shelter. There's lots of people out there looking for an outdoor mouser, and let me tell you that when I lived at that house near all the cats, we never had a mouse or a rat, even if we failed to go to the dump as often as we should have! It's important to cover the cage as soon as the animal is caught to save them stress and help keep them calm. The traps come in 3 or 4 sizes, you need the right size. (06/09/2009)

By Cyinda

RE: Keeping Cats Out of Yard

Trapping them and taking them to the animal shelter does not guarantee they wont be euthanized. If the cat is wild they DON'T 'fix' them and try to find them homes, they kill them. So if you are prepared to live with that, go ahead with that idea. Otherwise, there are products you can purchase at farm stores called 'feline away' and other products for unwanted animals in your garden and yard. You sprinkle it in your yard once a month or so and it deters the unwanted animals from wanting to visit your yard. After a while they won't bother you at all and you won't have to use anything else.

Also, cats don't like the smell of rue plants. You can plant them around your home to keep cats away as well. (06/09/2009)

By SusLuvsVintage

RE: Keeping Cats Out of Yard

Believe it or not, moth balls or crystals work. That is what they use in the mountains to keep out unwanted animals. I tried it and it worked. Just have to live with the smell of the moth balls, but the kitties stay out. (06/09/2009)

By missfeline

RE: Keeping Cats Out of Yard

You could fill a spray bottle with water and a few drops of citrus essential oils and spray them when you see them. Personally I don't mind a couple of feral cats outside, they tend to keep the rodent population down and snake population down. (06/09/2009)

By Ziggee

RE: Keeping Cats Out of Yard

There are hose end lawn sprinklers that come with motion detectors on them and when movement is detected, they turn on and drench the offending invader. This would work for cats, possums and other night creatures. Just Google it and I am sure you can find a source. It was first invented for deer, but will work for all 'critters'. If the spray doesn't hit them, the sudden noise will cause them to find other quieter places to prowl. (06/10/2009)

By mommarock

RE: Keeping Cats Out of Yard

While these responses are good, they don't address the underlying issue, which is the fact that the cats are yowling because they are un-neutered/un-spayed. Your best option is to contact your local feral cat initiative. Just google them. They will often come out, trap the cats humanely, and have them spayed or neutered. You will not only end of noise, improve your community by reducing any cat overpopulation, but also bring your dog some peace of mind! (06/10/2009)

By Ingrid in NY

RE: Keeping Cats Out of Yard

Call the local feral cat place, you should be able to get a trap for free or a small rental fee (it's worth it to have them stop). In the meantime, you can mix up a bottle of citrus oil and water spray outside. Set up some citronella candles on the border, cats don't like the citrus scent at all. (06/10/2009)

By michawnpita

RE: Keeping Cats Out of Yard

The Humane Society in my city has a "trap, spay/neuter, and release" program. They loan you a live trap (you put down a deposit, which you get back when you return the trap). You catch the cat and take it to them. They "fix" it free of charge. They also give them a rabies/parvo, etc. shot, so they stay healthy. Then you pick it up and release it back where you found it. I have done this several times. I have a few strays around my yard, no yowling, no babies, and, best of all, no mice! Phone your local shelter and see if they have a similar program. (06/10/2009)

By catastrofy

RE: Keeping Cats Out of Yard

We used to have an awful time keeping stray cats out of my garden, and doing their business there, so I sprinkled cayenne pepper in all my garden areas. To keep them from yowling and fighting around my house, we bought a Water Blaster, one of those super squirt guns. It only took a few times getting a shower to keep them away. But with a dog you wouldn't want to use the cayenne pepper. And getting up out of bed at all hours to squirt cats is probably not too enticing to you, so I think the sprinkler with a motion censor is a great idea. (06/10/2009)

By patom

Archive: Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

We just moved into our rental, and there is a cat that seems to love our front yard. It smells horrible when we walk outside from the urine and poop. How can I get it to stop going on the grass?

By Yessy from Bossier City, LA

Feedback:

RE: Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

This does not sound like cats. Raccoons will leave piles around, as well as possums. If you have seen the cats they might not be feral. They could be neighborhood pets. I once lived in a house where all the neighborhood cats crossed the yard at sometime in the night. Your house seems to be on the cat map. Some kind of deterrent would change the path. Neighborhood dogs might also be part of the problem. (12/04/2009)

By Ann Parker

RE: Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

There is a product called "Critter Ridder" that Lowe's sells. Wal-Mart has something similar to it, but I don't recall the name. You sprinkle it around the yard, and it's supposed to keep small animals like cats and raccoons out. Good luck. (12/05/2009)

By kitkatk100

RE: Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

Citrus peels and citrus sprays around the perimeters of the yard and refreshed regularly. Cats hate the smell of citrus. (12/05/2009)

By Deeli

Archive: Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

My neighbor and I are having problems with cats stinking up our whole neighborhood. You can't even step into the front lawn or the backyard. Please help us. Thank you.

By Regina

Feedback:

RE: Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

For unwanted cats or dogs, sprinkle red pepper in the areas where they relieve themselves. It really assails animals' sensitive noses. They hate it. You have to reapply it every so often, but it's cheap. (02/11/2010)

By WildIrish

RE: Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

Never sprinkle hot pepper outside. In the past I have also recommend this, then after receiving many letters from other ThriftyFun members I realized that this hot pepper can get into the animals eyes and they can dig their eyes out because they go crazy from the pain and irritation. Please don't do this, it is very cruel. I'm just glad I was educated by the animals lovers here on ThriftyFun before I did something that stupid. And in the past when I used to recommend the pepper, I never recommended spreading the dried hot pepper which can blow into eyes in the wind. I suggested a liquid spray of the peppers soaked in alcohol for 2 weeks then sprayed into garbage cans etc. But this was a bad idea.

If these cats that are coming into your yard are strays and have never been neutered you can call animal services in your area and ask them about catch, neuter, and release because nine out of ten times, it's the non-neutered males that are marking their territory with their scent. Once a male is neutered, they usually stop spraying.

I would suggest that you either get yourself a dog or rescue an outdoor cat from a shelter. Once you get your own cat, her or she will defend their property and keep all other cats away. I would suggest getting a male cat of a large size, maybe a Manx or Maine Coon. Be sure it's a cat that has already lived outside and is not de-clawed. Your outside cat should have somewhere warm and dry to sleep.

The cat could either come inside your home at night or if this cat is really wild, it could sleep outside in a garage or a shed with a comfy, dry bed. If you have no shed or garage get a small dog house (with a heated warming pad on a timer from the pet store)and, if you can, put the small house up on stilts. Cats like to be up high, it makes them feel safe. Make sure your cat is spayed or neutered so it will not spray and make his own smelly mess.

All cats that come from shelters have already been spayed and neutered. In my area (Seattle) our Humane Society offers all cats over 1 year for free or at a greatly reduced price. They all come with shots and are neutered or spayed, wormed and with 1 month of pet medical insurance. All you need is food and water and if they are going to be indoors, you'll need a litter box with litter and a scratching pad.

My cat came to me after my daughter found him living in her apartment's parking lot for several months. When I first got him he started as an outside only cat with access to my inside porch area, but we became so close to him that he now lives indoors, but goes outside to do his business. He loves this place and will not let any other cats come near our property. The reason I said to get a big cat is because the bigger they are the easier they will scare off other cats without having to fight. You don't want a small cat or a kitten, you want a large cat who has already lived outside in the past.

If you have an outside cat, you can't bring them inside very often in the fall because if they are always in a heated house they won't grow a long thick warm coat for the winter. An outside cat needs lots of quality oils (like Salmon oil) to grow a thick luxurious coat. They also need to have all their vaccinations (because of possible fights) and to be de-fleaed and wormed like any pet should.

Some may find keeping a cat outdoors to be cruel, but if they have always lived outdoors and you give them a warm place to sleep and food every day then they will be better off than they were before. We've had stray cats show up at our home that have lived on our porch in the past. As long as we've fed them every day, they seem to be quite content. We've even tried to bring one of these 'porch cats" inside during a severe cold snap, but the cat went crazy because she had never been inside of a house before.

To get rid of any lingering odors, in the spring (after it stops freezing in your area) rent a pressure sprayer and spray the base of your home and the ground area around your home using one of the lowest pressure settings on the rented sprayer. To fool the cats noses, buy a large jug of white vinegar and add 2 or 3 parts of water to 1 part vinegar and put this into a $12 garden sprayer and go around your home and spray the vinegar-water everywhere you think these cats have sprayed. Never use ammonia to clean up cat or dog pee because the ammonia reminds the animal of the smell of pee and they will keep peeing where the ammonia is. Other cleaners besides vinegar that work are: Enzyme-Based Pet Cleaners like "OUT!" and also hydrogen peroxide. Any of these will clean up dog or cat organic matter (pee, poop, blood, vomit, hairballs, coffee, and, food). (02/12/2010)

By Cyinda

Archive: Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

I have a huge problem with neighborhood cats using my flower beds and yard as a litter box. I've tried moth balls and pine cones and nothing works. They also use our cars as a scratching pad. Please help.

By Desperate to rid cats from Mesquite, TX

Feedback:

RE: Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

You could try dropping Olbas Oil on used teabags and placing them at intervals around your garden. Olbas Oil is available at Health Stores and Pharmacies. (04/27/2010)

By granny r

RE: Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

Cayenne pepper. Get large container from Costco or Sam's club. Sprinkle on dry ground. Does not work as well once wet. Great for under bird feeders. Birds can eat it, even like it. Cats and dogs hate it. (04/27/2010)

By muttmom

RE: Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

Fill clear empty 2 liter bottles half full of water. Put a little bleach in to prevent it from growing algae. Add a couple long strips of aluminum foil in each bottle then put lid back on. Put the bottles around the problem area. A few tinkling bells or some other light noise makers may help also. Cats don't like to be in places that scare them. Add some of those kids toys that go round and round when the wind blows If you can find the noisy ones they work best. Spread all these around the areas you want to keep cats out of. (04/28/2010)

By Lou Rael

Archive: Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

I have stray cats come into my yard. They dig up my bulbs and also poo in my yard. No matter what I do I can not get rid of them.
    Please help me.

Ammie

Feedback:

RE: Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

A friend of mine uses rubber snakes. She places them under her carport to keep cats off her car. So maybe a few rubber snakes can keep them out of your yard/garden. Just don't forget they are rubber when you walk out to enjoy your garden! (08/30/2010)

By Pooh Bear

RE: Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

Try cayenne pepper sprinkled around. Replace after rain or watering. You can buy a large container at Costco, inexpensively. (08/30/2010)

By muttmom

RE: Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

I have read that putting moth balls around will keep them away. (08/30/2010)

By joysewer

RE: Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

For creating a noise factor, bang a foil pie pan with a cooking spoon and run after them. I work too hard to have others cats or animals destroy my yard. Mine do not leave the property (leashed) nor do the kids damage or destroy anyone else's. So I expect my neighbors with pets to contain or control theirs. No excuse accepted. (08/30/2010)

By T&T Grandma

Archive: Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

How can I keep cats out of my yard? They urinate all over and it smells.

By Daneed from Puerto Rico

Feedback:

RE: Keeping Cats Out of My Yard

Cats do not like citrus, such as orange rinds or lemon rinds.
    They usually do not like water either. Set up a motion sensor that squirts water. (11/11/2010)

By tikko

Home and Garden Pest Control CatsJuly 5, 2012
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Bees
    Homemade Bee Repellents
    Photo of foodready to compost.
    Mother Nature's Best Fertilizers and Bug Repellents
    Deer in a garden
    Homemade Deer Repellents
    Homemade Insect Repellents
    Homemade Natural Insect Repellents
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 12:13:21 PM on 10.0.2.59 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings