Homemade Cat Repellents

Category Cats
There are many areas of the home and garden that you may want to keep the cats out of. This guide is about homemade cat repellents.

I know there is a spray that you spray around your house where you don't want dogs to go. Is there also a spray to keep cats away? There are tons of cats around my house and you can smell cats when you leave the house.

Jamish from Tribune, KS

Answer Was this helpful? 3
Best Answer

My friend had a big problem with cats peeing and pooing in his garden. His solution? He got a spray bottle and mixed water, Tabasco sauce, and pee. Yes, he used his own pee, not a lot. The mix was mostly water, so people could not smell it, even in hot summer. He hardly saw a cat, or cat mess in his garden after that.

Best Answer

I have read where you can spray cheap perfume/cologne (like from the Dollar Store) around where you don't want the cats & if will keep them away.

I need to know how to make a homemade cat repellent for house plants.

Joe from Tecumseh, NE

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

What I do is use the mesh bags that onions come in and spread them on the top of the soil in your plants. The cats don't like it because the mesh gets caught in their claws.

how to avoid cats in home

I have a cat that keeps coming to our front door and poops. What can I use to keep her away so she stops doing this?

By EF

Ammonia works great to get rid of the spray smell indoors and outdoors works great for that nasty smells of cats ..put in a spray bottle add a Lil water nothing else and spray on walls doors glass around porches and pretty much save every where and only 1 buck a gallon

Don't use ammonia. Cat urine is similar to ammonia and it will only attract them. Moth balls worked nicely in my garden and in my house plants, if you don't mind the smell.

Is ammonia good for keeping stray cats from pooping in the dirt beside my front porch?

By ct

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Scatter pinecones or rock around so they cannot dig easily.

http://www.ehow  ooping-yard.html

http://howtoado  ng-in-your-yard/

http://m.voices  ats-5439341.html

Anonymous

We have stray cat coming around our RV I put used coffee ground around & under the RV & I keep a spray bottle of lemon ammonia with dawn dish soap & water when the cats show up I spray them so far so good have been doing this a couple of days now & the cats are not coming.

What household products can I use to keep cats off my property?

By Ray D

Best Answer

There is a product called Indoor No. It's a spray and can probably be found in pet stores. Also, I've read that citrus works well.

Water bombs . I am about to get a sensor and hook it up to the sprinkler system

I have several cats, all but 1 use the litter boxes. I also have a pot belly pig. My cat with the issue I feel thinks she's a pig. She goes on the floor next to my pig's litter box to poop, she uses one of the cat boxes to pee. I can't use orange or lemon peel as it's toxic to pigs. I tried putting an extra cat box next to the pig's, that was a big mistake, then all the cats decided to use it. I'm at my whits end and ready to get rid of her. Any suggestions?

By Leona V.R. from Abingdon, MD

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I had this problem with one of my cats always pooping beside, instead of IN, the litter box. I purchased an extra large "under the bed" storage box with a large shallow lid. I put the litter box in the middle of the lid, which had several layers of newspapers covering it. The cat still poops outside the litter box, but it now lands on the newspapers, in the lid, so I just change the papers when I clean the litter box every day. The lid prevents any "liquid" in soft stools from getting on the cement floor, and is easy to clean. Don't get rid of the poor cat. There is always a solution!

I think you need to get more litter boxes because your cat obviously doesn't like sharing the poop box. Also, it wouldn't hurt to put it in a more private place if it isn't private already. Lastly, keep the boxes clean. I know my cats poop beside the box when its not cleaned to their standards. Honestly, when my cat poops beside the box, I know she's trying to prove a point. AKA, when I introduced a new kitten... her way of saying "I'm not sharing".

There are about 5 stray cats on my street. The neighbor next door feeds them and then they come to my lawn to pee, poop, and throw up. What homemade remedy can I use?

By Susan

I agree with the poster who said to skip mothballs. They are terribly poisonous to everything, including people, and the stench from them is as bad as or worse than the cat urine. I have purchased a cat repellant from Walmart that worked quite well. It also had a smell, but not obnoxious, and it had to be replaced every time it rained, but it worked. It kept my own cats from pooping on the front lawn. You might also try citrus peels, as those are not too unsightly and won't be a horrible smell. I kept stray cats from spraying the front of my house by splashing lemon scented Mr. Clean over the urine spots. This would work on fence posts, or tree trunks.

maybe in your city, they have caretakers, for feral cats, etc. so my neighbor now is under that program, they feed, somewhat of a shelter, and the city will make they shots and are healthy, one thing, which hope to make part of the program is "the caretakers also provide a place to poop!! start by getting with animal control , see if there is a program.. if they are sick, etc there is help,

How do you deter cats from using the edge around the house to do their business? It's keeping the grass from growing, and stinking up the place.

By A Mccourt

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Cats hate lemons. Peel some, dry the peelings some and cut them up then scatter them around some. Likewise if you have indoor plants the cats like to curl up in. Hope that helps.

You can also buy cat repellant at hardware and likely, pet stores. It works as well, but has to be replaced after every rain. Do not use things like mothballs. They are poisonous to everything, and smell worse than the cat smell. If the cats are spraying their scent on the house (which they may be doing, as that is much stinkier than just pooping in your flower beds) try splashing some lemon scented cleaner on the spots. I did that one winter, when it was far too cold (-20) to be washing the spots, and it seemed to deter the cats and nullify the odor. You might try orange or grapefruit peels as well, as I think it is the citrus smell that deters them.

We are looking for an inexpensive homemade natural repellent to keep stray cats out of our garden.

By Linda

Best Answer

Orange and lemon peels are a natural repellent. After they are very dry, their effectiveness may be reduced. I use them indoors to keep the cat off countertops. I've read that it works in the garden too.

Cats hate citrus. The orange or lemon peels seems to work in a small garden area.

How can I make homemade cat repellent for flowerbeds?

By Coy from Edmond, OK

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Try a half hardy plant called Coleus Canina, also known as Scardy Cat. It will grow in any kind of soil, has grey/green foliage, tiny blue flowers, and when crushed emits a foul odor. But cats cannot bear this plant at all. Plants need full sun or partial shade and require protection from frost during winter.

Regards,

Steve

Put your orange & lemon peels in the flowerbeds.

Cats hate citrus smell.

What will keep cats from messing in my yard? I have tried the repellents, I have tried home remedies such as, chili pepper, moth balls, and so many things I can't recall). What else can I do?

By Sylvia

Anonymous

This actually works 100%: a water bottle w/ water inside (no labels on bottle).

Unfortunately the person who shared the water bottle idea, and went so far as to claim "100%" is absolutely incorrect. It is a popular one, but is still a myth. It is actually the LEAST effective of any of the repellents listed on this forum. Take a zero off that 100% and it will still be higher than reality.

I have 2 indoor cats. Can I use their poop and pee to ward off the many outdoor cats from my yard? I would scatter their waste on the boundary of my property; I have a good supply:)

By BC

That might just attract them. Cats hate lemon. I would dry some peels and just scatter them around the yard. They are cheap, and you can use the juice for summer Lemonade. Win Win!

I would also suggest the citrus peels. Oranges or grapefruits I think work just as well; do not use toxic things like mothballs, as that is even more horrible than outdoor cats. Are these cats bothering you or your cats or both? Are they spraying their scent around? If your cats are indoors all the time, you have a few more choices. I used a lemon scented Mr. Clean splashed over the places the stray cats were spraying, and that covered the smell and seemed to deter them. If your cats don't go outside, or you keep them in your yard, you might also try a cat repellant that you can buy in places like Walmart. There are different kinds. Might work.

We have stray cats hanging around the perimeter of our house and the scent is driving our dog crazy, he is climbing behind the bushes, running and smelling all over. It is winter and cold in Wisconsin. I wonder if the "sprays" or fresh citrus would work in this type of weather. Has anyone tried staging citrus scented car fresheners; the ones that hang from the rearview mirrors?

By CLHT

You can sprinkle your used coffee grounds around the perimeter of your house and this will repel the cats as they do not like the coffee smell. It will also get rid of the pee smell. Then you will smell coffee but that's not a bad smell. Be generous.

Cathy from MA

I use the coffee grounds around my plants to keep the squirrels from digging & it works.

We recently got a new cat and four kittens. I have no problem with the kittens, they are adorable. We won't be keeping the cat for long, just until her kittens are old enough to live without her. What homemade spray can I use to keep her from pooing and weeing on my lounge and furniture? She is an outside cat. Will she and her kittens be okay in their cage? It has an opening on it just outside my back door.

By Jemma C

Have you provided a litter box with cat litter for her to use? It shouldn't matter if she's an outdoor cat, I'm sure she would use the litter tray. I speak from experience.

Anonymous

I was thinking the same thing please whoever you are if you're not a cat person and that's okay because everybody has their favorite things or animals but if you could kindly find someone that loves cats and is willing to take them on and give them shelter and food home and then they decide or find homes from there. I always think to myself how I myself as a human want to be treated and do the same for the animals as they are mammals as we are. thank you for letting them sleep on your porch for now though!! best to you and prayers that someone will show up I crossed paths with you that would love to pick the cat

I am looking for an indoor cat repellent. How can I keep my cat off the chairs and keep him from scratching them?

By Evonne

Get a "scat mat" which is easily found online. Put it on the cats/pets favorite area for a couple weeks. Keep it on the low setting. Then buy the clear drawer/shelf liner which is found in just about any store. I get more for less at Ikea. Remove the "scat mat" and replace with the clear liner. Cats can't tell its not a scat mat and they steer clear of the liner. We just pick up the liner and store in closet when guests arrive. It looks much better than foil or tape all over the house. We put the scat mat back out on furniture every couple of months to remind them that the plastic is still not a desirable place to be.

How can I discourage stray neighborhood cats from "scenting" my entryway? Their urine smell is gagging me. I'm not home to spritz as they visit.

By Mickey from upstate NY

I don't know if it will work with cats but it does work for other critters: go to a loacl dog grooming lace and ask for the cut dog hair. Spread them around the area you want to keep the cats away from and it may do the trick. My dad does that to keep rabbits and other wild life from eating his garden before he can benefit from it.

I have had good luck discouraging this sort of behavior by splashing full strength lemon scented Mr Clean on the sprayed areas. Cats do not like a citrus smell, and this has the added benefit of cleaning the area as well.

If I spay lemon juice on the outside of my pool will that keep the cats from going near it? I just bought it and one has already put a hole in it. By falling in the water they destroyed my pool last year. Please help!

By Dottie

Cats hate the smell of citrus. Try putting any citrus peelings around the pool. I use this method to keep the cats out of my flower beds. Worked like a charm.

Tips and advice about cat repellents. Post your ideas below.

I read this somewhere and can't remember but it says it is Jerry Baker's recipe:

2and a half parts flour, 1 part Cayenne pepper and 1 and a half parts dry mustard powder. Sprinkle around the area as needed. If it rains, it will have to be replaced.

I have just had an encounter with one of my own kittens up a tree trying to get into a mother protected bird nest.It caught my attention that the birds were out there just squawking away, & there was that cat. Well, I just read your article, and sprinkled a can of coffee grounds around the tree, ran out of grounds & finished it off with crushed toilet bowl freshener...that should work for now.

Also, this thing about water, I onced used a water

hose to spray one of my dogs that would bark furiously at neighborhood cars pulling in after bedtime...after the 3rd spray...she never barked again...Not like that at night...It did take 3 nights.

I need to keep cats away from my bird's nest.

By Nilda from Westley, CA

I put new sod in. The feral cats urinate on my grass and kill patches of my sod.

By D Boston from El Cajon, CA

We have stray cats hanging around our apartment complex because we have cat loving residents who feed them. These cats have destroyed the paint on our van. We now have a Suburban and the problem is not any better! Now we are even getting the males spraying on our windshield. We have service dogs and the cat problem is getting really bad. The animal control here will only pick up a cat if we trap it and then there is no telling when they will get around to collecting the animal.

By Pam D

I have 8 (yes 8) citrus trees in my back yard and the miserable cats lounge in the shade under them, right beside the lemons, oranges, grapefruit, and limes that are near the ground. I have even seen them climbing in the citrus trees after the humming birds, woodpeckers and other birds.

Put some of the peels of the citrus around your trees .

Load More