Homemade Cat Repellents

Category Cats
There are many areas of the home and garden that you may want to keep the cats out of. This guide is about homemade cat repellents.

I have 8 (yes 8) citrus trees in my back yard and the miserable cats lounge in the shade under them, right beside the lemons, oranges, grapefruit, and limes that are near the ground. I have even seen them climbing in the citrus trees after the humming birds, woodpeckers and other birds.

Put some of the peels of the citrus around your trees .

There are 2 cats in particular. They urinate on my front and back doors. I have a big enclosure connected to my house as I am a responsible pet owner and don't wish to annoy neighbours.

I've read a few suggestions, one I was keen on was a cayenne pepper and water spray? I can't see a recipe. Any ideas would be great, also if anyone has tried lavender or other oils, I would love feedback.

Answer Was this helpful? 3

We spread ceyanne pepper in our flower beds last year (we have feral cats in our neighborhood). YES they stopped pooping in the flower beds...instead they pooped on our lawn!

I know there is a spray that you spray around your house where you don't want dogs to go. Is there also a spray to keep cats away? There are tons of cats around my house and you can smell cats when you leave the house.

Jamish from Tribune, KS

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Best Answer

I have read where you can spray cheap perfume/cologne (like from the Dollar Store) around where you don't want the cats & if will keep them away.

I need to know how to make a homemade cat repellent for house plants.

Joe from Tecumseh, NE

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

What I do is use the mesh bags that onions come in and spread them on the top of the soil in your plants. The cats don't like it because the mesh gets caught in their claws.

I have a cat that keeps coming to our front door and poops. What can I use to keep her away so she stops doing this?

By EF

Anonymous

Ammonia works great to get rid of the spray smell indoors and outdoors works great for that nasty smells of cats ..put in a spray bottle add a Lil water nothing else and spray on walls doors glass around porches and pretty much save every where and only 1 buck a gallon

What household products can I use to keep cats off my property?

By Ray D

Best Answer

There is a product called Indoor No. It's a spray and can probably be found in pet stores. Also, I've read that citrus works well.

I have several cats, all but 1 use the litter boxes. I also have a pot belly pig. My cat with the issue I feel thinks she's a pig. She goes on the floor next to my pig's litter box to poop, she uses one of the cat boxes to pee. I can't use orange or lemon peel as it's toxic to pigs. I tried putting an extra cat box next to the pig's, that was a big mistake, then all the cats decided to use it. I'm at my whits end and ready to get rid of her. Any suggestions?

By Leona V.R. from Abingdon, MD

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I think you need to get more litter boxes because your cat obviously doesn't like sharing the poop box. Also, it wouldn't hurt to put it in a more private place if it isn't private already. Lastly, keep the boxes clean. I know my cats poop beside the box when its not cleaned to their standards. Honestly, when my cat poops beside the box, I know she's trying to prove a point. AKA, when I introduced a new kitten... her way of saying "I'm not sharing".

How do you deter cats from using the edge around the house to do their business? It's keeping the grass from growing, and stinking up the place.

By A Mccourt

Answer Was this helpful? 1

You can also buy cat repellant at hardware and likely, pet stores. It works as well, but has to be replaced after every rain. Do not use things like mothballs. They are poisonous to everything, and smell worse than the cat smell. If the cats are spraying their scent on the house (which they may be doing, as that is much stinkier than just pooping in your flower beds) try splashing some lemon scented cleaner on the spots. I did that one winter, when it was far too cold (-20) to be washing the spots, and it seemed to deter the cats and nullify the odor. You might try orange or grapefruit peels as well, as I think it is the citrus smell that deters them.

Is ammonia good for keeping stray cats from pooping in the dirt beside my front porch?

By ct

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Scatter pinecones or rock around so they cannot dig easily.

http://www.ehow  ooping-yard.html

http://howtoado  ng-in-your-yard/

http://m.voices  ats-5439341.html

There are about 5 stray cats on my street. The neighbor next door feeds them and then they come to my lawn to pee, poop, and throw up. What homemade remedy can I use?

By Susan

I agree with the poster who said to skip mothballs. They are terribly poisonous to everything, including people, and the stench from them is as bad as or worse than the cat urine. I have purchased a cat repellant from Walmart that worked quite well. It also had a smell, but not obnoxious, and it had to be replaced every time it rained, but it worked. It kept my own cats from pooping on the front lawn. You might also try citrus peels, as those are not too unsightly and won't be a horrible smell. I kept stray cats from spraying the front of my house by splashing lemon scented Mr. Clean over the urine spots. This would work on fence posts, or tree trunks.

We are looking for an inexpensive homemade natural repellent to keep stray cats out of our garden.

By Linda

Best Answer

Orange and lemon peels are a natural repellent. After they are very dry, their effectiveness may be reduced. I use them indoors to keep the cat off countertops. I've read that it works in the garden too.

What will keep cats from messing in my yard? I have tried the repellents, I have tried home remedies such as, chili pepper, moth balls, and so many things I can't recall). What else can I do?

By Sylvia

Unfortunately the person who shared the water bottle idea, and went so far as to claim "100%" is absolutely incorrect. It is a popular one, but is still a myth. It is actually the LEAST effective of any of the repellents listed on this forum. Take a zero off that 100% and it will still be higher than reality.

How can I make homemade cat repellent for flowerbeds?

By Coy from Edmond, OK

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Try a half hardy plant called Coleus Canina, also known as Scardy Cat. It will grow in any kind of soil, has grey/green foliage, tiny blue flowers, and when crushed emits a foul odor. But cats cannot bear this plant at all. Plants need full sun or partial shade and require protection from frost during winter.

Regards,

Steve

I have 2 indoor cats. Can I use their poop and pee to ward off the many outdoor cats from my yard? I would scatter their waste on the boundary of my property; I have a good supply:)

By BC

I would also suggest the citrus peels. Oranges or grapefruits I think work just as well; do not use toxic things like mothballs, as that is even more horrible than outdoor cats. Are these cats bothering you or your cats or both? Are they spraying their scent around? If your cats are indoors all the time, you have a few more choices. I used a lemon scented Mr. Clean splashed over the places the stray cats were spraying, and that covered the smell and seemed to deter them. If your cats don't go outside, or you keep them in your yard, you might also try a cat repellant that you can buy in places like Walmart. There are different kinds. Might work.

We recently got a new cat and four kittens. I have no problem with the kittens, they are adorable. We won't be keeping the cat for long, just until her kittens are old enough to live without her. What homemade spray can I use to keep her from pooing and weeing on my lounge and furniture? She is an outside cat. Will she and her kittens be okay in their cage? It has an opening on it just outside my back door.

By Jemma C

Have you provided a litter box with cat litter for her to use? It shouldn't matter if she's an outdoor cat, I'm sure she would use the litter tray. I speak from experience.

We have stray cats hanging around the perimeter of our house and the scent is driving our dog crazy, he is climbing behind the bushes, running and smelling all over. It is winter and cold in Wisconsin. I wonder if the "sprays" or fresh citrus would work in this type of weather. Has anyone tried staging citrus scented car fresheners; the ones that hang from the rearview mirrors?

By CLHT

You can sprinkle your used coffee grounds around the perimeter of your house and this will repel the cats as they do not like the coffee smell. It will also get rid of the pee smell. Then you will smell coffee but that's not a bad smell. Be generous.

Cathy from MA

I am looking for an indoor cat repellent. How can I keep my cat off the chairs and keep him from scratching them?

By Evonne

Get a "scat mat" which is easily found online. Put it on the cats/pets favorite area for a couple weeks. Keep it on the low setting. Then buy the clear drawer/shelf liner which is found in just about any store. I get more for less at Ikea. Remove the "scat mat" and replace with the clear liner. Cats can't tell its not a scat mat and they steer clear of the liner. We just pick up the liner and store in closet when guests arrive. It looks much better than foil or tape all over the house. We put the scat mat back out on furniture every couple of months to remind them that the plastic is still not a desirable place to be.

If I spay lemon juice on the outside of my pool will that keep the cats from going near it? I just bought it and one has already put a hole in it. By falling in the water they destroyed my pool last year. Please help!

By Dottie

Cats hate the smell of citrus. Try putting any citrus peelings around the pool. I use this method to keep the cats out of my flower beds. Worked like a charm.

How can I discourage stray neighborhood cats from "scenting" my entryway? Their urine smell is gagging me. I'm not home to spritz as they visit.

By Mickey from upstate NY

I don't know if it will work with cats but it does work for other critters: go to a loacl dog grooming lace and ask for the cut dog hair. Spread them around the area you want to keep the cats away from and it may do the trick. My dad does that to keep rabbits and other wild life from eating his garden before he can benefit from it.

I need to keep cats away from my bird's nest.

By Nilda from Westley, CA

Tips and advice about cat repellents. Post your ideas here.

Load More