Homemade Cat Repellents

There are many areas of the home and garden that you may want to keep the cats out of. This guide is about homemade cat repellents.

May 31, 2016 Flag

There are 2 cats in particular. They urinate on my front and back doors. I have a big enclosure connected to my house as I am a responsible pet owner and don't wish to annoy neighbours.

I've read a few suggestions, one I was keen on was a cayenne pepper and water spray? I can't see a recipe. Any ideas would be great, also if anyone has tried lavender or other oils, I would love feedback.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Cats hates moth balls . it works great my cat will not come on porch

Read More Answers...

January 13, 2014 Flag

I have 8 (yes 8) citrus trees in my back yard and the miserable cats lounge in the shade under them, right beside the lemons, oranges, grapefruit, and limes that are near the ground. I have even seen them climbing in the citrus trees after the humming birds, woodpeckers and other birds.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You are right my cat loves to eat oranges and grapefruit. My cat is a house cat and has never been outside.

Put some of the peels of the citrus around your trees .

Read More Comments...

September 7, 2008 Flag

I need to know how to make a homemade cat repellent for house plants.

Joe from Tecumseh, NE

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

What I do is use the mesh bags that onions come in and spread them on the top of the soil in your plants. The cats don't like it because the mesh gets caught in their claws.

how to avoid cats in home

Read More Answers...

March 13, 2009 Flag

I know there is a spray that you spray around your house where you don't want dogs to go. Is there also a spray to keep cats away? There are tons of cats around my house and you can smell cats when you leave the house.

Jamish from Tribune, KS

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

My friend had a big problem with cats peeing and pooing in his garden. His solution? He got a spray bottle and mixed water, Tabasco sauce, and pee. Yes, he used his own pee, not a lot. The mix was mostly water, so people could not smell it, even in hot summer. He hardly saw a cat, or cat mess in his garden after that.

Best Answer

Cats don't like a citrus smell, and so spreading orange or lemon peels will help. What I used when I had a stray cat spraying the front of my house was lemon scented Mr. Clean. I doused the sprayed spot with this, and this seemed to discourage the stray cat.

I have used pellets to spread on the ground that I got from a hardware store, but they had an odd smell that I found disturbing. The cats didn't like it either, but I prefer the Mr. Clean idea. The pellets had to be reapplied after every rain.

NOTE: One thing not to use is moth balls. They keep the cats away all right, but they smell much worse than the cat smell. Besides, they are toxic to many other things, including people.

Read More Answers...

January 7, 2015 Flag

I have a cat that keeps coming to our front door and poops. What can I use to keep her away so she stops doing this?

By EF

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

no I can't adopt them. they belong to a lady down the street who is a "crazy cat lady". the lady is nice but has too many cats and they come to my house to poop on my porch.

Since cats have superior smelling abilities, they are extremely sensitive to scent based cat repellents. You can make a really simple homemade remedy out of essential oils. I recommend using peppermint oil for repelling cats outdoors. Just mix 3 parts water to 1 part oil into a spray bottle and apply to necessary areas. You will need to reapply the solution as it wears down from the outside conditions.

Read More Answers...

May 15, 2011 Flag

What household products can I use to keep cats off my property?

By Ray D

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

There is a product called Indoor No. It's a spray and can probably be found in pet stores. Also, I've read that citrus works well.

remedy to keep cats away from yard

Read More Answers...

February 27, 2015 Flag

There are about 5 stray cats on my street. The neighbor next door feeds them and then they come to my lawn to pee, poop, and throw up. What homemade remedy can I use?

By Susan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I agree with the poster who said to skip mothballs. They are terribly poisonous to everything, including people, and the stench from them is as bad as or worse than the cat urine. I have purchased a cat repellant from Walmart that worked quite well. It also had a smell, but not obnoxious, and it had to be replaced every time it rained, but it worked. It kept my own cats from pooping on the front lawn. You might also try citrus peels, as those are not too unsightly and won't be a horrible smell. I kept stray cats from spraying the front of my house by splashing lemon scented Mr. Clean over the urine spots. This would work on fence posts, or tree trunks.

maybe in your city, they have caretakers, for feral cats, etc. so my neighbor now is under that program, they feed, somewhat of a shelter, and the city will make they shots and are healthy, one thing, which hope to make part of the program is "the caretakers also provide a place to poop!! start by getting with animal control , see if there is a program.. if they are sick, etc there is help,

Read More Answers...

January 2, 2013 Flag

What will keep cats from messing in my yard? I have tried the repellents, I have tried home remedies such as, chili pepper, moth balls, and so many things I can't recall). What else can I do?

By Sylvia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Unfortunately the person who shared the water bottle idea, and went so far as to claim "100%" is absolutely incorrect. It is a popular one, but is still a myth. It is actually the LEAST effective of any of the repellents listed on this forum. Take a zero off that 100% and it will still be higher than reality.

have you tried chopping up garlic bulbs and scattering them down in the places neccessary . cats hate the smell of garlic their sense of smell is better than ours you would not notice it outside but they will shy away from it ..worked for me anyhows.....

Read More Answers...

August 2, 2013 Flag

I have several cats, all but 1 use the litter boxes. I also have a pot belly pig. My cat with the issue I feel thinks she's a pig. She goes on the floor next to my pig's litter box to poop, she uses one of the cat boxes to pee. I can't use orange or lemon peel as it's toxic to pigs. I tried putting an extra cat box next to the pig's, that was a big mistake, then all the cats decided to use it. I'm at my whits end and ready to get rid of her. Any suggestions?

By Leona V.R. from Abingdon, MD

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think you need to get more litter boxes because your cat obviously doesn't like sharing the poop box. Also, it wouldn't hurt to put it in a more private place if it isn't private already. Lastly, keep the boxes clean. I know my cats poop beside the box when its not cleaned to their standards. Honestly, when my cat poops beside the box, I know she's trying to prove a point. AKA, when I introduced a new kitten... her way of saying "I'm not sharing".

My sympathies on your situation with the cat. I am allergic but a lovely Siamese stray decided to have her litter on my back porch. I love animals in general so I am now the owner of 5 rambunctious kittens, 4 males and 1 female. I purchased Kittens for Dummies to make sure I was doing right by them and it gave me some very helpful information.

One of the male kittens is spraying my love-seat, and I have tried several different store bought products. None of been completely successful. I concluded that one particular remedy will not work on all of them. The kitty I suspect doesn't shy away from citrus scents so I had to find something else.

I used this site to create these homemade remedies, I figured if one didn't work I could try the other or maybe need to use all 3 which is the case. I checked before I decided to reply, Method 1, Cinnamon, Lavender, and Rosemary are not toxic to Pigs, but the combination of them should be enough to deter your cat from the pigs space. Good Luck

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Homemade-Cat-Repellent

Read More Answers...

April 30, 2013 Flag

How do you deter cats from using the edge around the house to do their business? It's keeping the grass from growing, and stinking up the place.

By A Mccourt

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can also buy cat repellant at hardware and likely, pet stores. It works as well, but has to be replaced after every rain. Do not use things like mothballs. They are poisonous to everything, and smell worse than the cat smell. If the cats are spraying their scent on the house (which they may be doing, as that is much stinkier than just pooping in your flower beds) try splashing some lemon scented cleaner on the spots. I did that one winter, when it was far too cold (-20) to be washing the spots, and it seemed to deter the cats and nullify the odor. You might try orange or grapefruit peels as well, as I think it is the citrus smell that deters them.

If they are spraying your house, you can also put some cheap mouthwash in to a spray bottle and spray it on your house to keep them away and get rid of the odour. DON'T USE cayenne pepper as it burns their eyes and they can actually scratch their eyes out to stop the pain. Burns the squirrels and rabbits eyes, too.

Read More Answers...

March 21, 2014 Flag

Is ammonia good for keeping stray cats from pooping in the dirt beside my front porch?

By ct

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We have stray cat coming around our RV I put used coffee ground around & under the RV & I keep a spray bottle of lemon ammonia with dawn dish soap & water when the cats show up I spray them so far so good have been doing this a couple of days now & the cats are not coming.

Read More Answers...

May 12, 2011 Flag

We are looking for an inexpensive homemade natural repellent to keep stray cats out of our garden.

By Linda

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Orange and lemon peels are a natural repellent. After they are very dry, their effectiveness may be reduced. I use them indoors to keep the cat off countertops. I've read that it works in the garden too.

Cats hate citrus. The orange or lemon peels seems to work in a small garden area.

Read More Answers...
Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control CatsJuly 5, 2012
Bees
Homemade Bee Repellents
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
Homemade Insect Repellents
Homemade Natural Insect Repellents
🎉
🎄