Browsing: Homemade Cat Repellents

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Homemade Cat Repellents

There are many areas of the home and garden that you may want to keep the cats out of. This guide is about homemade cat repellents.

Homemade Cat Repellents
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 31, 2016 Flag

There are 2 cats in particular. They urinate on my front and back doors. I have a big enclosure connected to my house as I am a responsible pet owner and don't wish to annoy neighbours.

I've read a few suggestions, one I was keen on was a cayenne pepper and water spray? I can't see a recipe. Any ideas would be great, also if anyone has tried lavender or other oils, I would love feedback.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

No skunks in Australia. Lol

Going to try lemon, there's a tree out front so. Thx

Cats hate cayenne pepper and they don't like moth balls. Pepper get in their paws, burns their eyes and bothers their nostrils.

January 13, 2014 Flag

I have 8 (yes 8) citrus trees in my back yard and the miserable cats lounge in the shade under them, right beside the lemons, oranges, grapefruit, and limes that are near the ground. I have even seen them climbing in the citrus trees after the humming birds, woodpeckers and other birds.

February 25, 2011 Flag

I need a deterrent to keep cats out of my yard. They are male strays that come over and fight at night and during the days they chase my dogs.

By Ethel from Boyd, TX

Best Answer

Pet shops, and possibly hardware stores, have different kinds of repellents to keep animals away from areas of your yard. I used to sprinkle hot, peppery types of spices around, but then someone on this forum told me it could hurt the animals' noses. So I guess it's smarter just to get something made for the job.

Mothballs are poisonous to cats and dogs. Please to not use them.

September 7, 2008 Flag

I need to know how to make a homemade cat repellent for house plants.

Joe from Tecumseh, NE

Best Answer

What I do is use the mesh bags that onions come in and spread them on the top of the soil in your plants. The cats don't like it because the mesh gets caught in their claws.

how to avoid cats in home

March 13, 2009 Flag

I know there is a spray that you spray around your house where you don't want dogs to go. Is there also a spray to keep cats away? There are tons of cats around my house and you can smell cats when you leave the house.

Jamish from Tribune, KS

Best Answer

Cats don't like a citrus smell, and so spreading orange or lemon peels will help. What I used when I had a stray cat spraying the front of my house was lemon scented Mr. Clean. I doused the sprayed spot with this, and this seemed to discourage the stray cat.

I have used pellets to spread on the ground that I got from a hardware store, but they had an odd smell that I found disturbing. The cats didn't like it either, but I prefer the Mr. Clean idea. The pellets had to be reapplied after every rain.

NOTE: One thing not to use is moth balls. They keep the cats away all right, but they smell much worse than the cat smell. Besides, they are toxic to many other things, including people.

What a cruel human being to use hot sauce. There are other options. Cats would be afraid and scatter if you screamed but I think because this is an annoying issue revenge was what you wanted. How about TNR to help reduce tha cat population?

February 27, 2015 Flag

There are about 5 stray cats on my street. The neighbor next door feeds them and then they come to my lawn to pee, poop, and throw up. What homemade remedy can I use?

By Susan

I agree with the poster who said to skip mothballs. They are terribly poisonous to everything, including people, and the stench from them is as bad as or worse than the cat urine. I have purchased a cat repellant from Walmart that worked quite well. It also had a smell, but not obnoxious, and it had to be replaced every time it rained, but it worked. It kept my own cats from pooping on the front lawn. You might also try citrus peels, as those are not too unsightly and won't be a horrible smell. I kept stray cats from spraying the front of my house by splashing lemon scented Mr. Clean over the urine spots. This would work on fence posts, or tree trunks.

maybe in your city, they have caretakers, for feral cats, etc. so my neighbor now is under that program, they feed, somewhat of a shelter, and the city will make they shots and are healthy, one thing, which hope to make part of the program is "the caretakers also provide a place to poop!! start by getting with animal control , see if there is a program.. if they are sick, etc there is help,

May 15, 2011 Flag

What household products can I use to keep cats off my property?

By Ray D

Best Answer

There is a product called Indoor No. It's a spray and can probably be found in pet stores. Also, I've read that citrus works well.

remedy to keep cats away from yard

January 7, 2015 Flag

I have a cat that keeps coming to our front door and poops. What can I use to keep her away so she stops doing this?

By EF

Wouldn't the orange & lemon attract bees? We've got a major bee problem too..

She may hope you will be her family. Can you adopt her? You might find her to be a sweet and loyal friend.

January 26, 2015 Flag

I'm really scared of cats. Someone told me to sprinkle cayenne pepper around to keep them out of my yard. Is this a good idea? I just wanna keep them away with no harm.

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control CatsJuly 5, 2012
Bees
Homemade Bee Repellents
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
Homemade Insect Repellents
Homemade Natural Insect Repellents
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 21, 2016 at 12:19:53 PM on 10.0.2.230 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.