Homemade Cat Repellents

There are many areas of the home and garden that you may want to keep the cats out of. This guide is about homemade cat repellents.

Homemade Cat Repellents
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I need a deterrent to keep cats out of my yard. They are male strays that come over and fight at night and during the days they chase my dogs.

By Ethel from Boyd, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

There are hose and lawn sprinklers that come with motion detectors on them. When movement is detected, they turn on and drench the offending invader. This would work for cats, possums, and other night creatures. Just GOOGLE it and I am sure you can find a source. It was first invented for deer, but will work for all critters. If the spray doesn't hit them, the sudden noise will cause them to find other quieter places to prowl.

Best Answer

Moth balls are toxic to humans and animals. DON'T use them.

I found keeping my water hoses connected, a blast in the face was a reminder. I now have a dog and don't have issues either. Being consist will send the signal of which yards to stay away from.

For creating noise factor, bang a foil pie pan with cooking spoon, and run after them. I work too hard to have others cats or animals destroy my yard. Mine do not leave the property (leashed) nor do the kids damage or destroy anyone else's. So I expect my neighbors with pets to contain or control theirs. No excuse accepted.

Best Answer

Pet shops, and possibly hardware stores, have different kinds of repellents to keep animals away from areas of your yard. I used to sprinkle hot, peppery types of spices around, but then someone on this forum told me it could hurt the animals' noses. So I guess it's smarter just to get something made for the job.

Read More Answers...

I have 8 (yes 8) citrus trees in my back yard and the miserable cats lounge in the shade under them, right beside the lemons, oranges, grapefruit, and limes that are near the ground. I have even seen them climbing in the citrus trees after the humming birds, woodpeckers and other birds.

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I know there is a spray that you spray around your house where you don't want dogs to go. Is there also a spray to keep cats away? There are tons of cats around my house and you can smell cats when you leave the house.

Jamish from Tribune, KS

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

My friend had a big problem with cats peeing and pooing in his garden. His solution? He got a spray bottle and mixed water, Tabasco sauce, and pee. Yes, he used his own pee, not a lot. The mix was mostly water, so people could not smell it, even in hot summer. He hardly saw a cat, or cat mess in his garden after that.

Best Answer

Cats don't like a citrus smell, and so spreading orange or lemon peels will help. What I used when I had a stray cat spraying the front of my house was lemon scented Mr. Clean. I doused the sprayed spot with this, and this seemed to discourage the stray cat.

I have used pellets to spread on the ground that I got from a hardware store, but they had an odd smell that I found disturbing. The cats didn't like it either, but I prefer the Mr. Clean idea. The pellets had to be reapplied after every rain.

NOTE: One thing not to use is moth balls. They keep the cats away all right, but they smell much worse than the cat smell. Besides, they are toxic to many other things, including people.

Read More Answers...

I need to know how to make a homemade cat repellent for house plants.

Joe from Tecumseh, NE

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

What I do is use the mesh bags that onions come in and spread them on the top of the soil in your plants. The cats don't like it because the mesh gets caught in their claws.

Read More Answers...

There are about 5 stray cats on my street. The neighbor next door feeds them and then they come to my lawn to pee, poop, and throw up. What homemade remedy can I use?

By Susan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

maybe in your city, they have caretakers, for feral cats, etc. so my neighbor now is under that program, they feed, somewhat of a shelter, and the city will make they shots and are healthy, one thing, which hope to make part of the program is "the caretakers also provide a place to poop!! start by getting with animal control , see if there is a program.. if they are sick, etc there is help,

Read More Answers...

I have a cat that keeps coming to our front door and poops. What can I use to keep her away so she stops doing this?

By EF

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Cats really dislike citrus peels try putting several in onion bags and set them in the areas that it's been doing its business if it's in the dirt around your front porch you can just put the peelings on the ground and they smell good.

Read More Answers...

I have several cats, all but 1 use the litter boxes. I also have a pot belly pig. My cat with the issue I feel thinks she's a pig. She goes on the floor next to my pig's litter box to poop, she uses one of the cat boxes to pee. I can't use orange or lemon peel as it's toxic to pigs. I tried putting an extra cat box next to the pig's, that was a big mistake, then all the cats decided to use it. I'm at my whits end and ready to get rid of her. Any suggestions?

By Leona V.R. from Abingdon, MD

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My sympathies on your situation with the cat. I am allergic but a lovely Siamese stray decided to have her litter on my back porch. I love animals in general so I am now the owner of 5 rambunctious kittens, 4 males and 1 female. I purchased Kittens for Dummies to make sure I was doing right by them and it gave me some very helpful information.

One of the male kittens is spraying my love-seat, and I have tried several different store bought products. None of been completely successful. I concluded that one particular remedy will not work on all of them. The kitty I suspect doesn't shy away from citrus scents so I had to find something else.

I used this site to create these homemade remedies, I figured if one didn't work I could try the other or maybe need to use all 3 which is the case. I checked before I decided to reply, Method 1, Cinnamon, Lavender, and Rosemary are not toxic to Pigs, but the combination of them should be enough to deter your cat from the pigs space. Good Luck

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Homemade-Cat-Repellent

Read More Answers...

How do you deter cats from using the edge around the house to do their business? It's keeping the grass from growing, and stinking up the place.

By A Mccourt

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If they are spraying your house, you can also put some cheap mouthwash in to a spray bottle and spray it on your house to keep them away and get rid of the odour. DON'T USE cayenne pepper as it burns their eyes and they can actually scratch their eyes out to stop the pain. Burns the squirrels and rabbits eyes, too.

Read More Answers...

What household products can I use to keep cats off my property?

By Ray D

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

There is a product called Indoor No. It's a spray and can probably be found in pet stores. Also, I've read that citrus works well.

Read More Answers...

We are looking for an inexpensive homemade natural repellent to keep stray cats out of our garden.

By Linda

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

Orange and lemon peels are a natural repellent. After they are very dry, their effectiveness may be reduced. I use them indoors to keep the cat off countertops. I've read that it works in the garden too.

Read More Answers...

How can I make homemade cat repellent for flowerbeds?

By Coy from Edmond, OK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

Try a half hardy plant called Coleus Canina, also known as Scardy Cat. It will grow in any kind of soil, has grey/green foliage, tiny blue flowers, and when crushed emits a foul odor. But cats cannot bear this plant at all. Plants need full sun or partial shade and require protection from frost during winter.

Regards,

Steve

Read More Answers...

I'm really scared of cats. Someone told me to sprinkle cayenne pepper around to keep them out of my yard. Is this a good idea? I just wanna keep them away with no harm.

By Vanessa

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Louise is right. Dry some lemon peel and sprinkle it in your flower beds or the perimeter of your lawn. It makes a nice smell and it does keep them away. Good luck!

Read More Answers...

What will keep cats from messing in my yard? I have tried the repellents, I have tried home remedies such as, chili pepper, moth balls, and so many things I can't recall). What else can I do?

By Sylvia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have Rosemary plants on both sides of my yard and the dang cats sleep under them at night, they love the shelter it gives them to launch out and grab the baby Cardinals when they fall from their nest, so now what...?

Read More Answers...

Is ammonia good for keeping stray cats from pooping in the dirt beside my front porch?

By ct

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have 2 indoor cats. Can I use their poop and pee to ward off the many outdoor cats from my yard? I would scatter their waste on the boundary of my property; I have a good supply:)

By BC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check with your city ordinance. This may be on their list of don'ts. People can't leave dog poop on their yards, health hazard according to public health. And a dog kennel filled will also get you a police visit AND a humane society visit due to the poop standing.

I was with the humane society for several years and with intake, many calls about the poop. Esp if in yards where children could be walking or playing.

Read More Answers...

We have stray cats hanging around the perimeter of our house and the scent is driving our dog crazy, he is climbing behind the bushes, running and smelling all over. It is winter and cold in Wisconsin. I wonder if the "sprays" or fresh citrus would work in this type of weather. Has anyone tried staging citrus scented car fresheners; the ones that hang from the rearview mirrors?

By CLHT

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can sprinkle your used coffee grounds around the perimeter of your house and this will repel the cats as they do not like the coffee smell. It will also get rid of the pee smell. Then you will smell coffee but that's not a bad smell. Be generous.

Cathy from MA

I am looking for an indoor cat repellent. How can I keep my cat off the chairs and keep him from scratching them?

AnswerMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Load More
    Home and Garden Pest Control CatsJuly 5, 2012
    Bees
    Homemade Bee Repellents
    Two male Persian cats.
    Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
    A cat door installed in an old door.
    Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
    Homemade Insect Repellents
    Homemade Natural Insect Repellents
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 30, 2016 at 8:06:57 PM on 10.0.2.40 in 848 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.