Homemade Cat Repellents

Category Cats
Homemade Cat Repellents
There are many areas of the home and garden that you may want to keep the cats out of. This guide is about homemade cat repellents.

I know there is a spray that you spray around your house where you don't want dogs to go. Is there also a spray to keep cats away? There are tons of cats around my house and you can smell cats when you leave the house.

Jamish from Tribune, KS

Answer Was this helpful? 4

Answers

Best Answer

Petsmart carries a number of sprays that you can use. We have the same problem with a neighbor's cat "spraying" outside our house. We use a brand called Indoor/Outdoor Pet Control. It seems to work pretty well. We just leave the can outside in our bushes and spray the area the cat seems to "target" every day or so.

Best Answer

My friend had a big problem with cats peeing and pooing in his garden. His solution? He got a spray bottle and mixed water, Tabasco sauce, and pee. Yes, he used his own pee, not a lot. The mix was mostly water, so people could not smell it, even in hot summer. He hardly saw a cat, or cat mess in his garden after that.

Best Answer

I have read where you can spray cheap perfume/cologne (like from the Dollar Store) around where you don't want the cats & if will keep them away.

Best Answer

Cats don't like a citrus smell, and so spreading orange or lemon peels will help. What I used when I had a stray cat spraying the front of my house was lemon scented Mr. Clean. I doused the sprayed spot with this, and this seemed to discourage the stray cat.

I have used pellets to spread on the ground that I got from a hardware store, but they had an odd smell that I found disturbing. The cats didn't like it either, but I prefer the Mr. Clean idea. The pellets had to be reapplied after every rain.

NOTE: One thing not to use is moth balls. They keep the cats away all right, but they smell much worse than the cat smell. Besides, they are toxic to many other things, including people.

I need to know how to make a homemade cat repellent for house plants.

Joe from Tecumseh, NE

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Answers

Best Answer

What I do is use the mesh bags that onions come in and spread them on the top of the soil in your plants. The cats don't like it because the mesh gets caught in their claws.

What household products can I use to keep cats off my property?

By Ray D

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Best Answer

There is a product called Indoor No. It's a spray and can probably be found in pet stores. Also, I've read that citrus works well.

We are looking for an inexpensive homemade natural repellent to keep stray cats out of our garden.

By Linda

Best Answer

Orange and lemon peels are a natural repellent. After they are very dry, their effectiveness may be reduced. I use them indoors to keep the cat off countertops. I've read that it works in the garden too.

How can I make homemade cat repellent for flowerbeds?

By Coy from Edmond, OK

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Best Answer

Try a half hardy plant called Coleus Canina, also known as Scardy Cat. It will grow in any kind of soil, has grey/green foliage, tiny blue flowers, and when crushed emits a foul odor. But cats cannot bear this plant at all. Plants need full sun or partial shade and require protection from frost during winter.

Regards,

Steve

Is ammonia good for keeping stray cats from pooping in the dirt beside my front porch?

By ct

Answer Was this helpful? 2

I have a cat that keeps coming to our front door and poops. What can I use to keep her away so she stops doing this?

By EF

I have several cats, all but 1 use the litter boxes. I also have a pot belly pig. My cat with the issue I feel thinks she's a pig. She goes on the floor next to my pig's litter box to poop, she uses one of the cat boxes to pee. I can't use orange or lemon peel as it's toxic to pigs. I tried putting an extra cat box next to the pig's, that was a big mistake, then all the cats decided to use it. I'm at my whits end and ready to get rid of her. Any suggestions?

By Leona V.R. from Abingdon, MD

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I had this problem with one of my cats always pooping beside, instead of IN, the litter box. I purchased an extra large "under the bed" storage box with a large shallow lid. I put the litter box in the middle of the lid, which had several layers of newspapers covering it. The cat still poops outside the litter box, but it now lands on the newspapers, in the lid, so I just change the papers when I clean the litter box every day. The lid prevents any "liquid" in soft stools from getting on the cement floor, and is easy to clean. Don't get rid of the poor cat. There is always a solution!

How do you deter cats from using the edge around the house to do their business? It's keeping the grass from growing, and stinking up the place.

By A Mccourt

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Cats hate lemons. Peel some, dry the peelings some and cut them up then scatter them around some. Likewise if you have indoor plants the cats like to curl up in. Hope that helps.

You can also buy cat repellant at hardware and likely, pet stores. It works as well, but has to be replaced after every rain. Do not use things like mothballs. They are poisonous to everything, and smell worse than the cat smell. If the cats are spraying their scent on the house (which they may be doing, as that is much stinkier than just pooping in your flower beds) try splashing some lemon scented cleaner on the spots. I did that one winter, when it was far too cold (-20) to be washing the spots, and it seemed to deter the cats and nullify the odor. You might try orange or grapefruit peels as well, as I think it is the citrus smell that deters them.

If they are spraying your house, you can also put some cheap mouthwash in to a spray bottle and spray it on your house to keep them away and get rid of the odour. DON'T USE cayenne pepper as it burns their eyes and they can actually scratch their eyes out to stop the pain. Burns the squirrels and rabbits eyes, too.

What will keep cats from messing in my yard? I have tried the repellents, I have tried home remedies such as, chili pepper, moth balls, and so many things I can't recall). What else can I do?

By Sylvia

Answers

Cats do not like citrus. Put Orange or lemon peels around your yard and the cats will stay.

Try using orange or lemon peels or lemon scented mr clean cats dont like the citrus scent.

Tips and advice about cat repellents. Post your ideas below.

Answers

Thanks for the advise,I'll try the string ower the fence and the orange and lemon peel.I use a sonic device and thought the cats wouldnt come in at all.Must be bloody deaf.

My mother has had that problem for a long time. We started to use fox urine. You can purchase it in liquid, and place it in little containers that are designed for that, and hang them from the lowest branches of trees, or near the plants. There is also a powder form of fox urine that you sprinkle around the plants, and the perimeter of your yard, however, it must be reapplied after you water or after it rains. Either way, both of these are somewhat costly methods, but all in all, they seem to be the most successful. Another thing that often works is sprinkling ground up hot peppers around the area. I am talking about the very hottest ones. The fox urine is completely non-toxic, and it works wonderfully because it scares the living daylights out of the cats. Once they get used to its presence, they won't be back. Check with garden supply places. You might also do a Google search for it.

I read this somewhere and can't remember but it says it is Jerry Baker's recipe:

2and a half parts flour, 1 part Cayenne pepper and 1 and a half parts dry mustard powder. Sprinkle around the area as needed. If it rains, it will have to be replaced.

I have just had an encounter with one of my own kittens up a tree trying to get into a mother protected bird nest.It caught my attention that the birds were out there just squawking away, & there was that cat. Well, I just read your article, and sprinkled a can of coffee grounds around the tree, ran out of grounds & finished it off with crushed toilet bowl freshener...that should work for now.

Also, this thing about water, I onced used a water

hose to spray one of my dogs that would bark furiously at neighborhood cars pulling in after bedtime...after the 3rd spray...she never barked again...Not like that at night...It did take 3 nights.

I searched to find help on this cat situation too. I'm angry that these cats come into my yard and spray on my doors, patio furniture, or anything they want. It's discusting! I can't believe that people are allowing this in their homes (as I've read a couple times on here), I couldn't imagine the cat coming back inside my house after being kicked out for that!

What angers me is I don't own a cat,no one should have to put up with someone else's cat in their personal space. Let's just hope that the "humane" citrus option works! I'm not going to throw away all that money I spent on my yard stuff to some nasty cats.

There are about 5 stray cats on my street. The neighbor next door feeds them and then they come to my lawn to pee, poop, and throw up. What homemade remedy can I use?

By Susan

I have 2 indoor cats. Can I use their poop and pee to ward off the many outdoor cats from my yard? I would scatter their waste on the boundary of my property; I have a good supply:)

By BC

That might just attract them. Cats hate lemon. I would dry some peels and just scatter them around the yard. They are cheap, and you can use the juice for summer Lemonade. Win Win!

I would also suggest the citrus peels. Oranges or grapefruits I think work just as well; do not use toxic things like mothballs, as that is even more horrible than outdoor cats. Are these cats bothering you or your cats or both? Are they spraying their scent around? If your cats are indoors all the time, you have a few more choices. I used a lemon scented Mr. Clean splashed over the places the stray cats were spraying, and that covered the smell and seemed to deter them. If your cats don't go outside, or you keep them in your yard, you might also try a cat repellant that you can buy in places like Walmart. There are different kinds. Might work.

Check with your city ordinance. This may be on their list of don'ts. People can't leave dog poop on their yards, health hazard according to public health. And a dog kennel filled will also get you a police visit AND a humane society visit due to the poop standing.

I was with the humane society for several years and with intake, many calls about the poop. Esp if in yards where children could be walking or playing.

We have stray cats hanging around the perimeter of our house and the scent is driving our dog crazy, he is climbing behind the bushes, running and smelling all over. It is winter and cold in Wisconsin. I wonder if the "sprays" or fresh citrus would work in this type of weather. Has anyone tried staging citrus scented car fresheners; the ones that hang from the rearview mirrors?

By CLHT

We recently got a new cat and four kittens. I have no problem with the kittens, they are adorable. We won't be keeping the cat for long, just until her kittens are old enough to live without her. What homemade spray can I use to keep her from pooing and weeing on my lounge and furniture? She is an outside cat. Will she and her kittens be okay in their cage? It has an opening on it just outside my back door.

By Jemma C

How can I discourage stray neighborhood cats from "scenting" my entryway? Their urine smell is gagging me. I'm not home to spritz as they visit.

By Mickey from upstate NY

I don't know if it will work with cats but it does work for other critters: go to a loacl dog grooming lace and ask for the cut dog hair. Spread them around the area you want to keep the cats away from and it may do the trick. My dad does that to keep rabbits and other wild life from eating his garden before he can benefit from it.

I have had good luck discouraging this sort of behavior by splashing full strength lemon scented Mr Clean on the sprayed areas. Cats do not like a citrus smell, and this has the added benefit of cleaning the area as well.

I am looking for an indoor cat repellent. How can I keep my cat off the chairs and keep him from scratching them?

By Evonne

If I spay lemon juice on the outside of my pool will that keep the cats from going near it? I just bought it and one has already put a hole in it. By falling in the water they destroyed my pool last year. Please help!

By Dottie

Cats hate the smell of citrus. Try putting any citrus peelings around the pool. I use this method to keep the cats out of my flower beds. Worked like a charm.

I need to keep cats away from my bird's nest.

By Nilda from Westley, CA

I put new sod in. The feral cats urinate on my grass and kill patches of my sod.

By D Boston from El Cajon, CA

We have stray cats hanging around our apartment complex because we have cat loving residents who feed them. These cats have destroyed the paint on our van. We now have a Suburban and the problem is not any better! Now we are even getting the males spraying on our windshield. We have service dogs and the cat problem is getting really bad. The animal control here will only pick up a cat if we trap it and then there is no telling when they will get around to collecting the animal.

By Pam D

I have 8 (yes 8) citrus trees in my back yard and the miserable cats lounge in the shade under them, right beside the lemons, oranges, grapefruit, and limes that are near the ground. I have even seen them climbing in the citrus trees after the humming birds, woodpeckers and other birds.

Is there a natural repellent that I can use to keep strays from using my shrubs as a litterbox?

By born2win from SE MN

Answers:

Homemade Cat Repellent

Try laying some moth balls around the shrubs. (09/27/2009)

By MCW

Homemade Cat Repellent

Try orange and lemon peels. Cats hate the smell of citrus. (09/28/2009)

By sameoleme

Homemade Cat Repellent

I use coffee grounds (used) and tea grounds (used). It works very well to keep the critters out of my garden. (09/29/2009)

By Stormy Seas

Homemade Cat Repellent

Yes, citrus! And please do not use moth balls in your yard! Not only are they not a 'natural' substance, but are also highly poisonous because they are made from two dangerous chemicals and can be deadly not only if ingested but also from the fumes they can create! (09/29/2009)

By Deeli

Homemade Cat Repellent

I have coffee grinds all over my garden because my Philodendrons and Hydrangea love them. But apparently all the cats on my cul-de-sac have no sense of smell. Including my own. I even paid $ for 'Bobcat urine', and that doesn't even stop them. I love cats, but I hate they are using "the big new litter box". They are uprooting my spring flower buds. (03/26/2010)

By Changedin06

Homemade Cat Repellent

Please don't use Pinesol or Lysol, as both contain phenols, which cause kidney failure in cats!

[From Wikipedia] The main concern about the use of mothballs as a snake, mice, or animal repellent is their easy access to children, pets, and beneficial animals. Leaving them in a garden or in a living space unprotected makes it very easy for unintended victims such as children and pets to gain access to them. Mothballs are highly toxic when ingested, causing serious illness or death. In addition to this, using a very large quantity of mothballs in a basement or a living space may cause serious respiratory problems in people living in the space. [1] (04/09/2010)

By SuzyB.

I have two cats, but there are a lot of stray cats in our neighborhood. This is a problem because a stray tom cat has been sneaking into our basement window and spraying. What can I use as a cat repellent that won't bother my own cats? Is there anything that I can use to take the tom cat's spray smell out?

Desirae

Answers:

Homemade Cat Repellent

Wow, there's lots of controversy about cayenne pepper. I'd stay away from it just in case. And mothballs can cause liver damage to cats, both yours and the stray, so I'm sure you don't want to take a chance on harming your pets. It might just be easiest to close the window or at least screen it. Stores sell lots of enzyme cleaners to clean such smells, but I've never had to buy them so I'm not sure of their names. I'm sure if you Googled it, you'd find the brand names. Best of luck. (03/07/2009)

By susanmajp

Homemade Cat Repellent

For the smell that the male cat has left in your house, use OUT!. It is by far the best product I have ever used. You can get it at Walmart or Kmart (I buy it a Kmart, 11.99 for a gallon vs. 8.99 for 1/2 gallon at Walmart). I raise boxers so I often have puppies in my house.

My friend had a male cat that was marking in all the corners of her house before she got him fixed. You would walk in her house and the odor would hit you like a wall. I took a spray bottle filled with OUT! over, sprayed it in all the corners and the next day the smell was gone.

This product is not just a cover-up, it actually neutralizes the urine smell. It smells nice too which is just an added bonus. It has to be tested for color-fastness, but can be used on hardwood floors, concrete, carpets, furniture and even put in your washing machine for your laundry. It will even get dried poop stains out. I even put it in my steam cleaner every time I shampoo my carpets.

(03/07/2009)

By boxergirl76

Does anyone have a recipe for natural cat repellent? I have heard there is such a recipe using vinegar but that is all the info I have. Thanks

Alisa from Wytheville, VA

Answers:

Homemade Cat Repellent

This is no joke. A famous TV gardener mixed urine, hopefully male, citrus juice, cayenne and vinegar and sprayed the area. The urine dissuades cats and dogs from sharing the area with another possibly dangerous species. (07/06/2007)

By vickipoo

Homemade Cat Repellent

If you're looking for an outdoor cat repellent, moth balls work well. Put the moth balls all around the base of the house, in bushes and any other places you want to repel the cats. (07/10/2007)

By SATellite

Homemade Cat Repellent

Try a half hardy plant called Coleus Canina also known as Scardy Cat. It will grow in any kind of soil, has grey/green foliage, tiny blue flowers and when crushed emits a foul odour. But cats cannot bear this plant at all. Plants need full sun or partial shade and require protection from frost during winter. (09/03/2007)

By Steve

Homemade Cat Repellent

Saw a recipe in newspaper. Vinegar, liquid soap and water. Equal parts. Spray on lawn.
Recipe said use Dawn soap but any seems to work.

Urine or ammonia not good, will have cats return. In some climates citrate solutions (orange or lemon) attract bees. I've been trying the vinegar mix and getting good results no cats, or dogs.
(10/01/2007)

By D. H. B..

Homemade Cat Repellent

If you can afford it you can get one of those sprinklers that has an electric eye on it that squirts the cats as they enter your yard. That would be the 1st step. Then I use cayenne pepper spray and spray it as a thick as possible all around the perimeter. I mix this myself (ground pepper and water). I make it just thin enough to be able to come out of the sprayer nozzle.

Spray a path from the edge of the property (or beyond if you can, about 18 inches) to inside your property line about 6'. Cats can jump a long way in length and very high. I use one of those back pack weed sprayers that you don't have to constantly squeeze. I have a big yard. Spray the surrounding bushes and plants too. I avoid spraying the open blooms. You will have to repeat this regularly to keep it fresh until the cats learn it's not going away. You can also buy this with a wax base that will last longer. Hope this helps. We have to deal with coyotes and mountain lions, and this helps with them also. I spray it all around my gardens which the cats used to use as a cat box and the dogs would bury bones. No problem anymore! (03/25/2008)

By ChefBeth

Homemade Cat Repellent

• 5 tablespoons of flour
  • 4 tablespoons of powdered mustard
  • 3 tablespoons of Cayenne Pepper
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 quarts of warm water
Mix together and spray the perimeter. (05/03/2008)

By Chocol35

Homemade Cat Repellent

• 20 drops -lemon oil
  • 10 drops -capsicum (Liquid) which is cayenne pepper
  • 20 drops -eucalyptus oil
  • 1 quart -water

Mix, shake well. May be sprayed on furniture, carpet, upholstery. These are approximate amounts. Experiment. (05/19/2008)

By ellens

Homemade Cat Repellent

Some crushed garlic, cayenne, sugar, water, lemon, cinnamon. That is the best one. Cats hate it. (06/20/2008)

Homemade Cat Repellent

Ladies and Gentlemen, I realize that cats can be destructive, BUT PLEASE DO NOT use cayenne or capsicium in your yards. It is extremely irritating and can be toxic to small children and animals. It activates pain receptors in a way that is difficult to turn off. As noted below, children and animals can get it in their eyes and cannot wash it out and it is excruciatingly painful.

(07/05/2008)

By Biologist

Homemade Cat Repellent

Actually, it is just fine to use cayenne or derivatives. That's the point of pepper spray, which we in Colorado often carry on hikes to keep the predators at bay if needed. It won't cause, and has never caused, an animal or a person to claw their eyes. It burns (which is the point of spraying at a bear or cougar) for a while but is temporary. Plus it is better to effectively ward off stray cats from your children's play area than to have them contract Toxoplasma gondii. With cayenne, cats and other animals are generally smart enough to smell (or taste) and avoid. (07/06/2008)

By Coloradoan

Homemade Cat Repellent

Look, stop poisoning animals, and just buy the darn Shake-Away stuff. How much do you spend on your garden and your gas-guzzling lawn mower? Maybe the citrus might be okay I guess, but cayenne, no! and mothballs--come on! Mothballs are a poison and you should NOT be using them at all anywhere near your home. (07/24/2008)

By Knitsy

Homemade Cat Repellent

Just discovered this. Rosemary Essential Oil - cats run in fear. Try mixing a little of rosemary with water, and mist it onto areas that are problematic. If you have cats pee in your house like me, you'd much rather live with the rosemary smell than the cat urine smell. (08/19/2008)

By Josh

Homemade Cat Repellent

Citrus will work. Don't use cayenne or moth balls! Moth balls are poisonous to all the animals in your yard, and if you need me to post a picture of a cat that has destroyed its own vision trying to get pepper oil out of its eyes, I can. Their tears are not the same as ours, and they have a membrane between their outer eyelid and eyeball. Imagine having a wet tissue soaked in cayenne between your eyelid and eyeball. (09/24/2008)

By redstar

Homemade Cat Repellent

Citronella is great to use. It's safe as a repellent for all animals. My vet recommended I use a collar that sprays citronella instead of using a shock collar on my deaf border collie. I've also used it outside to keep cats off my porch, and to keep the cats inside off the kitchen counters, dining table, and pool table. (09/27/2008)

By Johnny

Homemade Cat Repellent

For those of you who have houseplant-pottying cats: rather than using a substance as a deterrent, I have taken wooden chopsticks/bamboo skewers and placed them at intervals of a couple of inches in the dirt of the plant-pots. They're not unattractive -- you'll get used to it in a few days! -- and since our kitties would prefer not to have their bottoms poked, we've not had any houseplant-pottying since. This also works in small areas in the garden -- we've got our vegetable plot skewered (and laid-flat chicken-wired) as well. (11/09/2008)

By LoveMyKitties

Homemade Cat Repellent

Upon reading a bit of the posts and seeing that there are orange trees in my own yard, I decided to try my own solution on my new outside cat that keeps sneaking in through the door when we enter the house. I'm not looking for some plant solution, some this or that fix, but I have found it thanks to you guys! I grabbed an orange (still green), brought it inside, and squished some juice into a cup. Then I added a little warm water, put it in my DIY water dripper (water bottle with small hole in cap), and dripped water all over the entry rug. The cat instantly would refuse to enter the house!

Ta da! Instant fix as of a few minutes ago. I'm not sure if this will bring other pests (ants, etc.), but for now it is definitely doing its job well. Just thought I would share! (12/02/2008)

By Orange Grove solution??

Homemade Cat Repellent

Plant rosemary all around your perimeter, low maintenance, and it works. Cats hate it.

(12/15/2008)

By lvm

Homemade Cat Repellent

I feel most of these solutions are inhumane. With all due respect. I decided to make a little fun from my out of control cat problem, 8 cats and about 12 offspring. I decided to teach my 9 year old daughter how to make a nice cat trap. We started by feeding the cats and getting them to come around more and more. Then we made various forms of traps using everything from blankets, boxes and milk baskets. We then trap the cats and take them to the local humane society. It made for great quality time with my daughter and the cats are unharmed. Great fun! (01/09/2009)

Load More