Homemade Dog Toys

Dog toys can come in all shapes and sizes. Good dog toys don't have to come for the pet store; you can make great toys for your best friend at home. This is a guide about making homemade dog toys.

Kelly Ann Butterbaugh11 found this helpful
December 8, 2010 Flag

As I watched our puppy rip apart yet another toy, it occurred to me that I might as well hand her the ten dollar bill to chew. I'm wasting my money buying pet toys at the store time and time again. Instead, there are cheaper homemade toys that are just as fun for the pup and much easier on my wallet.

Sock Toys

Old socks make great dog toys. Watch out that your pup doesn't think every sock is a toy, but it's easier to put socks away than to buy dozens of expensive chew toys. Be creative and make some great toys with your old tube socks. Just remember to take any small pieces so the dog doesn't eat the sock.

Stuff multiple socks inside one main sock. Tie the end and hand it off. Your dog has a great new chew toy without the stuffing that becomes such a problem. She can peel the layers off like an onion or chew all day. If you have a young pup, make the sock toy before washing the sock. We might not like the smell, but your puppy will appreciate your scent when you're away from home.

Double layer socks by stuffing one inside another. Then, fill the inside sock with sawdust. It's a different type of chew toy for a less aggressive chewer. If sawdust isn't available, use small animal bedding or a similar product.

The tug rope is the greatest toy to have when playing with a dog. Instead of purchasing a knotted rope at the pet store, make your own with old socks or t-shirts. Hold two socks together and knot them with other socks to create length. Make the knots tight so they don't give way while playing.

Water Bottles

Recycle in a whole new way with bottled water. After visiting the pet store for one more dog toy, I found an expensive but innovative toy. It was a stuffed raccoon, but instead of stuffing inside there was an empty water bottle. It made a pleasing crunching sound, and when the bottle was crushed a Velcro opening allowed it to be replaced. This gave me an idea, and I started to raid the recycling bin.

Combine the sock and the water bottle to recreate this toy. Place an empty plastic water bottle inside an old sock. Knot the sock and watch the fun.

Poke holes in the water bottle and remove the cap. Then, fill it with small or crushed dog treats. It works like the well-known Kong, allowing the dog to pester the bottle until small pieces of treats come out of the opening. If she destroys the bottle and gets the snacks, take the plastic before she can eat it and use a new bottle tomorrow.

On hot days fill the water bottle half way with water and lay it on its side in the freezer. Your dog has a solid chewing toy that will cool him in the hot weather, but it isn't too hard for his teeth.

Our pup invented the water bottle toy on her own. I left an empty bottle on the floor only to find her running through the house in absolute joy at her newly found toy. I did nothing to it, and it was just as pleasing to her.

Sew Your Own

Know that certain craft stores sell the squeaky inserts for toys as well as sound chips that will be activated when squeezed. Inserting these deep inside the sock toys or generic stuffed toys found at yard sales will make a perfect toy.

To create the stuffing free toy that so many stores sell, buy some heavy fabric and get out your sewing machine. Cut out a basic shape - dogs don't care. Layer six or seven layers of the fabric on top of each other, sewing each layer to the one below it.

Remember, it's okay for your furry friend to destroy his toys now. It only takes five minutes to make new ones.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What brilliant ideas for our four legged friends - especially the plastic bottle in a sock idea. I can't wait to try this with my dog. She already loves to play with empty soda bottles and is always pinching them out of the recycle bin! Thanks for all the ideas.

June 1, 2009 Flag

When making noise-making pet toys, such as the ones using empty water bottles, potato chip canisters, or pill bottles, use dry food or treats instead of the suggested marbles, bells, etc. If the pet gets the container open, there will be no risk of swallowing something harmful.

By jf63 from IL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I second that, Brilliant idea! Peanut butter jars, not washed out, and given to the dog make great "Kongs" as they lick out the peanut butter.

I wouldn't let them keep after it for more than an hour. I always watch them when they have any kind of toy if they are heavy chewers.

January 3, 2017 Flag

An orange and black bone shaped dog toy with a squeaker inside.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about squeakers for dog toys. If you are making or repairing dog toys you will need squeakers for them.

April 22, 2005 Flag

My dog loves to chew on empty 20-ounce pop bottles, so I made an inexpensive variation of that. Take a 20-ounce pop bottle, drop a couple of dried beans inside, and put the cap on tightly.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 8, 2010 Flag

Now that our puppy is older and much bigger, I've been forced to come up with a new way to keep her entertained and out of my hair when I am cooking dinner.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 27, 2016 Flag

Rag Knots Chewing Toy

This is a guide about making a rag knots chewing toy. If your dog loves to chew and play tug-o-war, a rag knots chew toy is perfect for them.

December 27, 2016 Flag

Braided Fleece Dog Toy - finished lying on a table

This is a guide about making a braided fleece dog toy. You dog will love this easy to make braided tug-o-war toy.

September 10, 2008 Flag

Check out the remnant rack at your local fabric store. Find fleece, any kind, and cut it in 2 inch wide by 24 or 36 inch long strips. Place 3 together tie the ends together knotting it twice and start braiding to the end. Tie the other end.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 11, 2012 Flag

My dog loves a light stuffed toy hanging from a doorway on a length of elastic at a length that requires her to leap at to snatch at and grab. Then the toy is snapped away by the elastic when she lets go! She loves it, and so do I. It gives her exercise and we never get bored.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 30, 2011 Flag

Homemade Pet Toys

Give your furry friends a Christmas present by sewing these cute animals. The patterns are very simple and inexpensive to make. This is also a great way to use up those scraps!

July 28, 2015 Flag

Use your old socks to make dog toys. Buy some squeakers, you can buy them in bulk online. I found them on Amazon. Roll one in some socks to make a small ball. Stuff that in a long one and tie one or two knots in it. It lasts longer than all those toys. Squeakers are optional, but the dogs like the hanging parts that flip around.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 12, 2012 Flag

Parmesan Cheese Container

I put small bits of food in a Parmesan cheese container for our dog. Older dogs are unable to chew it up, but can get hours of enjoyment trying to get the treat out.

September 11, 2013 Flag

Put a dog treat under a jar lid and put it on the floor with the dog watching. It works a treat, just keep something handy for rescuing the lid from under the freezer, etc.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 10, 2008 Flag

This cheap dog toy also provides an IQ challenge. Put a piece of dog biscuit or a treat in a Propel water bottle (with no cap and the plastic retainer ring removed).

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 29, 2010 Flag

I'm looking for an inexpensive way to make toys for a lot of hounds (hunting dogs). Any ideas? Thanks.

By RinRin from Gloucester, VA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I put a tennis ball into the toe of an old sock and my puppy went wild for it. As he got older I used two socks for added strength. He's nearly two years now and gets excited when a new one surfaces! Tennis balls can be bought cheaply at sporting good stores, but you can easily pick some up at your local college or high school. Tennis players will leave balls that aren't responsive anymore and your dog doesn't care.

Great idea daisychain, I will try that.

readingiggits; I'm scared to use any kind of plastic bottles because they may cut their gums or even eat the plastic. These are hunting dogs that stay outside in pens. I'm looking for something that they can't get hurt playing with. They are unattended most of the day. But thanks for the suggestion.

March 5, 2001 Flag

Do you have any frugal chew toy ideas for dogs that are safe?

By Joy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had the same problem finding something like this, so I make them now! I make fleece pet toys that contain no dangerous plastic parts and no stuffing. They are priced low so even if your pet makes it their mission to destroy every toy you give them at least it doesn't cost you much.Sizes are small to X-Large $.79 to $3.29 each and great wholesale price breaks! They are also machine washable. Email for more info @ cuddlemonkeez at gmail.com or check out my store at http://www.cuddlemonkeez.etsy.com

My daughter's dog loves to chase the cardboard boxes that cereal and crackers come in. We use them as indoor frisbees. I hope this isn't going to lead to a problem later on. He happily shreds the box, we pick up the bits of cardboard, vacuum daily, and that's that.

The boxes were being kept in a large box (thick cardboard from the grocery store that cans of soup might come in), next to a trash can - but that was next to the computer. I have since learned to keep his 'toybox' away from electrical components.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

September 13, 2010 Flag

Puppies are the best! That is, until you're trying to do your house work and your puppy is constantly underfoot. I have a tip that I use once in a while to gain me some peace. I take once slice of lunch meat, roll it up and stuff it into an empty water bottle with the cap off. Then I lure our puppy to a quiet corner of the house away from where I am working and let her try to get it out.

The chewing feels good on her baby teeth, which aren't big or strong enough yet to tear through the bottle. She ends of throwing it around and getting bits of meat out while I get things accomplished. It's a win-win situation!

By Brianna from Dutch Harbor, AK

Puppy laying on towel.

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

Looks like you have a great dane pup! We just got ours 3 days ago and he's underfoot too! I love this idea!

Thanks!

Zeus's Mommy !

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

December 8, 2010 Flag

I am looking for a pattern for fleece dog lanyards/pull toys. Anyone out there have any ideas? Thanks.

By Michelle from Highland, MI

Answers:

Homemade Dog Toys

Newspaper ball: roll up newspaper. Cover it with several layers of duct tape.

Jeany the octopus: cut eight strips from a pair of old jeans. Tie a knot in the end of the strips. Make a face on the knot. Make duct tape hair. Cover the tentacles with duct tape.

Sock ball: put a tennis ball in an old sock. Tie a knot at the end.

Sock bottle: put a bottle inside the sock. Tie a knot in the end.

Hope this helps! :-) (05/02/2010)

By pempemem1

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 29, 2010 Flag

I am unemployed and even when I had a job, we wasted a lot of money on pet toys our Lab/Pointer destroyed in a few minutes. Cheap toy ideas (please supervise your pet during play) can be right (almost) in your garbage.

Take an empty tissue box (cut off the plastic liner around the opening if there is one) and stick some small treats (food) inside. The dog will rip up the cardboard and play with this "busy box" you can then throw away. Get a paper lunch bag and stick some treats inside (I used bits of left over cheese or meat). Close the top and toss to your dog.

By Di from VT

Answers:

Thrifty Home Made Dog Toys

A good source for stuffed toys for your pup is your neighborhood thrift store. Small stuffed toys are usually around 50 cents. Just make sure that you get the kind with sewn eyes, etc., so that your dog won't be eating little plastic features or accessories. (01/04/2009)

By 17538

Thrifty Homemade Dog Toys

If you have an old pair of jeans (or any sturdy pant leg material) cut a leg off, you can put a tennis ball (or squeaky type toy if you prefer) inside and tie each end, or two tennis balls and knot each space. Good for tough chewers. Be careful with stuffed toys, the stuffing can be swallowed and become impacted and then you get a lovely trip to the vet. (01/06/2009)

By cowpunkgal

Thrifty Homemade Dog Toys

Our lab loves empty water bottles, without the cap of course. Also, if you don't mind the mess, ours also loves to carry off an empty 12 pack soda box and carry it around the house. Eventually it ends up shredded, but provides a lot of entertainment in the meantime. (01/11/2009)

By Chris

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 23, 2010 Flag

I have an 8 week old chocolate Lab/Shepherd and he always tears up his toys. If it's a stuffed animal toy it's gone in at least a minute. I love to make toys; do you have any ideas on toys I can make him before Christmas? Thanks.

By Mikayla

Answers:

Homemade Dog Toys

Store bought stuffy toys are quickly torn up in a minute or so and can become costly to continually replace with the same old thing, so I give my dog an ice cube and he loves running after it as it slides across the floor besides crunching down on it and eating it. It's the cheapest toy, very entertaining, and easily replaced.

I can't buy stuffy toys for my other dog because of my male being too destructive towards them, so I buy a lot of different sized balls that do different things to keep them entertained and also safe chewy toys that seem to last long.

An old sock is another favorite for my dogs and they play tug o' war with it often. Also, the red LED light that dogs like to chase after. They play a few minutes chasing after the light, but don't ever shine it into their eyes or make it a long time at play as it can drive a dog wild and become obsessed with the light searching all over for something that's long been put away. This is strictly in moderation and not frequent play. When the finger tires of holding down the button on the light, that's when the play ends and even sooner for a puppy.

You could buy a bag of squeakers that go into toys reasonably priced on the net and then make a blanket the dog can walk on and sew into squares and insert a squeaker into each square and when they walk on it, sound comes out and each time they take a step, a sound comes from where their paw was placed. Keeps them busy trying to go after that newest sound, and I'd try making it from a strong material like heavy denim or heavy remnant upholstery material. It should last longer than the stuffed toys. Still have to watch out for any holes made from teeth trying to remove the squeaker so they don't swallow plastic parts. I wouldn't let the dog have it when unattended for this reason. (12/07/2009)

By Lorelei

Homemade Dog Toys

My puppy loved a carrot tied up in a sock. (12/10/2009)

By mulberry204

Homemade Dog Toys

Go to your hospital's lab and ask for a few of the used huge over sized rubber band type tourniquets they use when drawing blood. Go to Walmart and get a card of cat toy balls with the little bell inside the plastic cage type ball for $1.98. Tie the balls with the rubber band through the slots. Then shoot them across the room. He will chase them, they will skittle and ring, then he can spend hours holding the rubber band down and trying to stretch the ball loose, only to have it snap back and scoot some more. The rubber band keeps him from swallowing the ball, but the slots in the ball would still allow him to breathe if he DID somehow manage to. As the ball skittles and rolls, the tourniquet flies around like a tail on some creature he is chasing! (12/10/2009)

By dollyslaffn

Homemade Dog Toys

Take a long (knee high) sock and tie several knots in it. Good for tossing or tug-of-war. Stuffed animal toys can be found very reasonable at yard/tag sales or thrift shops. You can just toss them in the wash and then give them to your dog. You can also go onto Craigs list and ask for free dog toys or stuffed animals. A lot of people just throw them out and will give them to you for free. (12/11/2009)

By brdldy

Homemade Dog Toys

Our puppy has a lot of fun with empty gallon-size jars of milk. We take it from him once the plastic starts breaking up, and just hand him the next empty one. He likes them better than most store-bought toys. He also loves potholders and oven mitts. I gave them a couple that were falling apart--probably because of all the food smell. Always be careful to make sure he doesn't end up swallowing stuff he shouldn't swallow. (02/13/2010)

By gunnercade

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 7, 2009 Flag

Homemade Dog Toys
I have a dog and I am getting a puppy. I need to make some toys for them and I need ideas.

Paige from Delray, Florida

Answers:

Homemade Dog Toys

My dog likes a carrot tied in a sock. It is good for teething. (08/17/2008)

By mulberry204

Homemade Dog Toys

I bought my dog a "Kong" toy when he was a pup for about $8.00 or so. I've had to replace it just recently and he is 13 years old.(Boxer) To me it's safer for him than fabric or plastic would be and well worth the money. (08/20/2008)

By Lady

Homemade Dog Toys

I just did this with my puppy and he loves it. I took and old paper towel tube and put Scooby snacks and some of his other treats in it and cut a hole in the tube and he loves it. (09/13/2008)

By PetLover10

Homemade Dog Toys

If you have a tree in your backyard, try this one. Find a limb that's approximately 20 feet up in the tree and tie one end of a 25 foot rope around the limb. Tie knots and loops in the other end so that it hangs about 2 feet off the ground. It works like a tug'o'war they can play by themselves. I found rope at a farm supply store and spent about $10 for the whole thing. I have a high energy dog and this keeps her entertained for hours. (09/25/2008)

By Charlotte

Homemade Dog Toys

After finishing a 20 oz. plastic bottle of soda, wrap it in a towel and hit the bottom end with a hammer a couple of times to take out the shape, then take some small treat bones and put them in the bottle. The pup gets a "rattle" and has to work for their treat. (11/06/2008)

By CDiddy

Homemade Dog Toys

I just make an origami claw out of strong paper and give it to my dog and she can play with it for a few hours before I have to make a new one (they are very easy to make). My dog is a big Husky Pit Bull mix and is three years old.
(11/10/2008)

By Kristina Emily

Homemade Dog Toys

I got some cellophane and stuck it inside a roll of paper and used duct tape to tape the ends up so it doesn't come out. Then I wrapped it all up in more duct tape. But you have to wrap it in like heaps of duct tape so your dog doesn't chew it up. Don't forget to go over the ends with duct tape too or else your dog could get it off the end and then eat the cellophane and its probably not that tasty. This toy suits big dogs because when they bite it the cellophane crackles and often a little dog like a Pomeranian doesn't have a strong enough jaw to bite it so it crackles. Its called a Munch and Crunch. (01/07/2009)

By Sam

Homemade Dog Toys

I take the empty cardboard tube that comes with a paper towel or toilet paper roll, insert a doggie treat, then fold and pinch the cardboard ends several times to seal it up. It's ungainly, but he doesn't care.
I throw it, he fetches, I grab it and throw it again, he's interested in guarding it. The toy is good for a few minutes of his attention. Not exactly a doggie long lasting toy, but good for the occasional diversion. (01/11/2009)

By cookwie

Homemade Dog Toys

My dog loves to eat peanut butter. What I do is take a squeaky toy with many nooks and crannies. I smother on PB in the hard to reach places. My dog loves to try to get his tongue to reach the PB. (02/16/2009)

By Lenny

Homemade Dog Toys

My opinion is for heavy chewers or dogs that weight over 50 pounds. My Bull Terrier loves to chew as much and often as possible. I tried putting a container with water and letting her bob for apples, this entertained her for a hour till she got the apple and ate it. Putting rice in a plastic bottle worked for 2 minutes.

But I found the best way to get her chewing habits relieved was a normal Kong (I have to use the extra strength black, but whatever fits your breed), and making homemade dog frozen treats like (mixed banana honey or plain yogurt honey and oats) keep her busy the most, changing up what you put in the Kong keeps them more interested than just freezing peanut butter every time. And to give her something to just destroy I give her paper towel rolls. I put treats in the middle and fold up the ends. (do not use string or ties on the ends if you dog eats or swallows it it can cause deadly intestinal damage). (02/20/2009)

By Bull Terrier Owner

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 15, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Pets Dogs Dog ToysOctober 17, 2011
Making a Braided Fleece Dog Toy
Rag Knots Chewing Toy
Making a Rag Knots Chewing Toy
Toddler with ball.
Inexpensive Toddler Toys
Finding Squeakers for Dog Toys
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 19, 2017 at 12:12:29 AM on 10.0.0.155 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.