House Training an Adult Dog

When adult dogs are adopted, rescued, or moved into the house they often need to be house trained. This is a guide about house training an adult dog.

November 28, 2016 Flag

I adopted a 4 yr old Chihuahua. He was never house broken. I take him outside a lot and we will walk. He just seems to sniff and mark here and there. Then when we are home he will poop and pee in the house. It's like he refuses to go outside. If we don't walk he just stands there. I am not sure what to do anymore. Plus I live in Wisconsin so winter will be here and I'm worried he really won't go outside. Please help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Get a collar that you can shock him with whenever he begins the unwanted behavior. You will have to watch him closely at first. After a few "treatments" I guarantee he will be cured of this misbehavior. The best program on public radio was "Calling all Pets". You may be able to pull up episodes online and glean a lot of info from that.

August 27, 2016 Flag

My year old neutered male Shih Tzu comes to me after he pees and shows me where he actually went. He gets walks daily, has regular and multiple outside times to relieve himself that are for this purpose only, seperate from playtime outdoors. It is as though he has it "backwards", I am not sure how to reverse this behavior.

He will oftentimes go to the door or come look at me with that signal look, but daily there are the "other" times. He has access to me all day, in a studio apartment. There have been no changes in lifestyle to attribute this to. These indoor accidents are lessening, 2 a day now, no more at night. I have tried a tastier reward upon re-entering the house each time after a successful potty, to no avail.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you checked your dog for a urinary tract infection, kidney stones, or other? it sounds like he actually knows he shouldn't be doing that but maybe can't help it. If you suspect this is true, that points to a physical problem.

April 12, 2016 Flag

I have a 8 year old Boxer. He's only been in my home for 2 years and I don't think that he was ever potty trained. He does great when I'm home, but I can leave him in the back yard for an hour, let him in and leave for 10 minutes and come home he will have peed and pooped all over the house. I tried using a crate and he took the door and the side panel clean off. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Boxers who've been rehomed from a happy home, or abused and then rehomed, tend to suffer separation anxiety and demonstrate it by two distinct behaviours - eliminating in the house, and chewing anything they can get their teeth into - furniture, doors, walls, floor coverings... The best thing to do is be patient (difficult, I know) because the dog is unfortunately at an age now where there are no real solutions. You can try creating a safe space - not the crate, or a room containing anything your Boxer can destroy, btw; use disposable tarpaulins to cover the floor in the safe space (these come on a roll in any DIY or big box paint department), these are relatively inexpensive, and make clean-ups fast and easy whilst protecting floors. Use one part of the room as an eating and sleeping area - no tarp, and the rest of the room with enough tarps laid down to cover the floor. Consider a radio playing softly - some Boxers like classical, others prefer talk radio.

Talk to your vet, he/she may have some suggestions (behaviour training, coping strategies).

I buried my ancient (14yo) Boxer in Feb 2007, he was the last of a long line of Boxers I raised in the US (I live in the UK now) as a breeder. I also did breed rescue - usually dogs the age your Boxer was when he came to live with you, I met through breed rescue needed rehoming to families/persons with the willingness and understanding (the probability the behaviours may never resolve) to cope with the separation anxiety behaviours in the way I outlined above.

Best luck, from the photo it's clear your Boxer is much loved and I wish you both the best coping with something he truly doesn't want to do but can't help doing when you leave the house even for a short time. If you can afford a dog-sitter and/or 'doggie day care', these dogs respond very well to either.

May 2, 2015 Flag

We adopted my three year old Lab over a year and a half ago. She has always peed in the house. We gave it time, took her to the vet to make sure that there isn't something medically wrong with her, and even tried calm me down meds. It isn't when we leave for work or anything, it's any time we pet her or touch her and it's through out our entire house. I really don't want to take her back to the shelter, but that's what it is coming to if I can't figure out what to do to make her stop. Even if we just let her outside and watch her go to the bathroom then pet her when she comes inside she still pees. We just put all new flooring throughout our house and my husband and I are both simply fed up. Can anyone help us?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm afraid you may have to try using pee-pee bands or diapers. I believe your dog may have been abused. She is "submissive peeing." It isn't really a behavior problem so much as an instinct.

You need to get to the point where you can touch her and it's going to be hard if you know she's going to soil the floor every time.

Good luck.

June 19, 2013 Flag

I got a Shepherd/Husky mix from a breeder at 7 months of age. They told me she was crate trained, but in reality I came to find out she was "pen" trained. I have attempted to crate train as I did with my other dog before her, but it is not working. She has accidents every day when she is not crated. Should I re-crate train her as if she was a small puppy meaning keeping her in the crate 24/7 except when it is time to eat and take her out? I know she can hold it because I crate her all night while we sleep and I also know she knows it is wrong to poop and pee in the house. I've tried everything, the bell on the door, the doors closed, her attached to me, but to no avail, she will be great all day and then when not attached to me and not crated she eventually goes somewhere in my house and I'm so done! I really love her, but do not know what to do. Please help!

By Maggie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It really sounds like you're doing a very good job and you're working really hard. You may want to try simply putting her in the crate when you're feeding. After you feed her, put her in there for 30 minutes to an hour and then and then take her directly out for a walk or to where you want her to potty at. Retraining her you may want to use treats or her favorite toy for an incentive when she does.

December 22, 2015 Flag

We have had our terrier for 4 years. He was a rescue dog and we got him from the person who rescued him so he has been passed around a bit. After 4 years he should feel settled, yet he constantly poos and pees in the house. He has been to the vet and is fit. He poos on any scrap of carpet even though the door is open for him to go out. He poos on the carpet in front of the door, 2 more steps and he would be in the garden.

He gets let out or taken out several times a day, so there's no need for him to do it. If we put him in the garden he constantly barks to come in. We suppose he wants to be with us, but in the last couple of months he keeps running away and has been picked up by the pound. There's always someone indoors as we are retired and he has plenty of attention; so what can we do? I know he is jealous of the grandchildren, but he is always the same.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

First of all, he is not jealous of the grandchildren. Small dogs have delicate nervous systems and children can be noisy and make fast movements. This upsets the dog. He basically just doesn't want them around.

I agree the dog has never really settled in. He doesn't feel safe. The peeing and pooping is territory marking behavior. The running away is typical of dogs seeking a pack with which to bond.

You must do training with your dog. First, take him to obedience class. Learning to work with your pet will help bond the two of you. I would also suggest clicker training, a positive rewards based training. Your dog needs to feel that you are in charge so he can calm down.

http://www.clic  com/dog-training

February 1, 2008 Flag

I have a dog that is almost 2 years old and is still not fully house trained. I'm open to any suggestions. Can anyone help?

Tammi from Swanzey, NH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We have a new little one at our house and also one we have had for about 4 yrs now. I found the best way is give a small little treat when they go outside an with a lot of telling how big of a girl she is getting to be just like her big sister. That only took a very few times an that work like a charm.

November 10, 2015 Flag

I am moving with my 15 year old dog, how do I potty train her?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Take your dog outdoors to the same area every two hours or so; however long she can hold it. Do this at the same time each day. Take water bowl away just after last potty break for the night or before you retire. Keep talking to the dog using simple words of potty time and eventually she'll get the idea why she's going out. Stay there with her and see that she does go before bringing her indoors.

August 29, 2016 Flag

I rescued a Maltese mix, he is about 5 yrs old. We live in a house with a fenced backyard. We have other dogs, big dogs and small dogs. I am home all day and leave the door to the backyard open, unless it is very hot out or freezing out. All the other dogs go in and out when ever they need and so does he. But I still can't stop him from going to the bathroom in the house, he has even gone pee on my sister's bed. I don't know what to do. Please help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 5, 2013 Flag

We are having trouble house training a 12 month old St. Bernard. When I first got her, at 5 weeks, my wife told me she was not "weaned" by her mother. She rolled in her own urine and feces, and it took me 8 months to finally get her to stop. When I leave her alone, or leave the house, she jumps on the couches and goes number 2. We haven't had an accident for months. Last night I took her out before I went to bed and not even an hour later I heard her urinating in her cage. I took her out immediately and cleaned her cage. She has done it 5 times since then and also goes outside. My question is, could it be medical or her in need of intense training?

By Jarrod A.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Talk to your Veterinarian.

June 29, 2015 Flag

My dog is 4 years old and has always used a newspaper lined litter inside the house. Now that we have a garden, we tried to retrain her to go outside. We even put the newspaper outside. She practically stopped eating and almost refuses to go outside when invited. Her behavior, otherwise, is normal. Any advice please.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your dog thinks you have lost your marbles. You spent all that time teaching her where you want her to go and now you've changed your mind.

The good news is that your dog is well trained. You're more fortunate than you think. The shelters are full of untrained dogs.

I suggest you put the newspaper in the least offensive place in the house and be thankful your dog will use it. It's a lot easier than trying to teach an adult dog new tricks.

March 18, 2013 Flag

I hope that my questions can be answered. Recently I moved into a new place and my 2 dogs have been acting up when it comes to potty training. My Yorkie (3 years old) has recently started to wee against my couches, something he has never done, and my Toy Pom (1.5 years) leaves me a surprise every morning with out a doubt.

Someone told me they eat too late, so I started taking their food away at about 17:30 and water also, then first thing in the morning, at about 06:00 I give them a bowl full again. But still I get the surprises in the morning. Today I have started walking with them when I came home, as someone told me this would help, but I am not too sure.

Can someone please give some advise, I don't want to lose them and also don't want to let them stay outside, but my new place is going to turn into a smelly one.

Please advise.

Thank you in advance.

By Carli B from South Africa

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Repeat all the house training - one main meal a day - feed around 4.00 in the afternoon as they often poop after there main meal - don't let them nibble all day - the more food the more poo!

Take outside often - sleep them in a pen in the garage with newspaper on the floor. If they wee or poop over night then this is easy to clean up. Use a mixture of white vinegar, baking soda & water to clean up .

Their messes as disenfectant etc leaves an odour that may tempt the dogs to go back to that area. Be consistant & don't punish them with hitting - be patient - by the looks of it these dogs are well loved & beautiful & well worth your effort. Good luck.

October 1, 2013 Flag

My Jack Russel was crate trained from 8 weeks until one year, then I moved and she has a porch with a basket/bed and a door constantly open to the garden so she can do her business whenever. She mainly does do it outside, but sometimes for example when it rains she poos inside and she knows she's done wrong, but still continues to do it! What can I do?

By Amelie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hello,

Dogs are very sensitive to Rain. The sound is multiplied by almost 100. Sometimes the sound is very annoying and hurts their ears, yes, this is true, you can look it up. Also, make sure there is not a medical problem causing your fur baby to do this in the house. Good luck

June 12, 2015 Flag

I adopted a dog about 3.5 weeks ago. They said he's only a year, but other body features are showing he may be much older, maybe closer to 5. I only know that he came in as a stray when I rescued him. For the first week to two weeks of having him, he did great! No accidents in the house.

Then I brought a friend over a few nights ago, they stayed the night as well. And the next day I started smelling something peeish. I thought it was my hamsters, but it turns out he peed in one area of my room. And he must have kept going there because I didn't realize it until it was too late. I have tan carpet that you can't tell if he peed or not, have to go by smell. I never did anything, told him no, because it was too late to do so.

Well the other morning I apparently wasn't fast enough to take him out (he is the first thing I take care of in the morning as I know how I get!), and he peed in the corner. I corrected that one because I saw. But now I'm afraid he is continuously going at night and it's in the back of my mind to the point I don't sleep well anymore. Any suggestions? He is fine when I am around him.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is kind of a tricky one. I would try crating.

http://www.huma  te_training.html

July 24, 2016 Flag

My daughter has a 9 year old Shih Tzu. He pees in the house often. She has tried everything. Now they have a baby in the crawling stage and the ammonia in the pee is worrisome.
Please advise. Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 7, 2015 Flag

I'm trying to train my 1.5 year old Maltese, Echo, to not pee on the floor. Idk what is going on. I rescued her and I think she may have been abused. If she is really excited she'll pee on the floor. If you put out your hand too quickly or try to put the leash on, she pees right there. Sometimes a lot, sometimes not. My husband is becoming quickly annoyed and I don't want to have to get rid of her as I'm attached. Please help!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a common problem and is called submission urination. It usually happens with puppies and they usually grow out of it. It may help for you (and your husband)to be very calm when dealing with your dog. The less stress she feels the less she will dribble. It may just be part of adjusting to a new home. Trainers and your Vet may have other options for you to try. Good luck.

February 10, 2014 Flag

My 7 year old Doxie has used puppy pads since a pup, but will not use them in our new home.

By Kathy H

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi, I am having the same issue and would love to find out if you ever found a solution. I have a 4 yr old shihtzu. We lived in New Jersey since we had her. She grew up using the pee pads majority of the time since she was home a lot while we worked it was out. Though, she also knew how to potty outside whenever we get a chance to let them out.

Recently, I moved with her to California. Since we moved here, she would not potty inside on the pads anymore. To be fair, the first 2 weeks while I waited for my apartment to be set up, we stayed with family and space was tight. Do I took her out to the yard or for a walk to potty.

The first day in out new place, she went twice on the pad, then not anymore. It's been storming out, and still she doesn't go on the pad. We just have to wait until storm isn't as heavy of rain and then I take her out. She does her business instantly and we go back in before the winds takes her away. Since this is only an apt., I don't have the luxury of letting her into a yard either.

She is currently staring at me while standing on the pad. Not u set standing me that she has to potty on it. What do I do?

June 13, 2013 Flag

I have a 3 year old Maltlipoo dog and she was never really trained to go out. I thought I had her trained and then I found she was peeing on my carpet in the living room. What can I do?

By Dee from Farmington Hill, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I like Leerburgs answer and explanation on potty training issues.

Here is the link for that:

http://leerburg.com/housebrk.htm

The short answer is I would backtrack to not giving the dog the run of the house until he is better at not going on the carpet. Enzymatic cleaners will take the smell out and I would take up the water a couple or hours before bedtime or only offer a small amount.

Do you have a crate at all? Clicker training to go into a crate is fun:

http://youtu.be/q4KWqIA3BZA

Here is another link:

http://www.wiki  -Dog-in-Ten-Days

Sometimes I think the smaller dogs are having problems because their bladders are too small. Also a kidney infection could be causing this behavior. Cheap food and food with too many by products and such can cause this also besides other causes. Peeing can also be a way to dump toxins as in food with wheat, corn or soy. Try one of the foods on the market like Rachel Rays foods or the ones from Diamond that have no corn wheat or soy.

Be sure to take the dog to the vet to rule out an infection and then you can backtrack to the last successful step the dog did. This might involve changing the food to a better quality food, and taking up the water at night and trying to make going out a happy event with clicker training or rewards of treats.

http://youtu.be/RFvV0DVdg7o

Also the more jobs you give your little dog, such as sitting up for a treat, not from the store but a piece of ot dog each day, the better they will be at learning other things.

Hand targeting is a wonderful trick to learn.

http://www.aspc  g-to-hand-target

Blessings and look at this as a way to start spending more happy times together rather than just training times.

Blessings,

Robyn

Load More
Pets Dogs House TrainingAugust 24, 2012
pug in a crate
Crate Training a Dog
Pug looking guilty.
Training a Dog to Poop on a Training Pad
Photo of a mistreated Pit Bull.
Training a Dog That Was Abused
agility training for your dog
Agility Training for Your Dog
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 4:55:15 PM on 10.0.2.145 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.