Browsing: House Training an Adult Dog

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

House Training an Adult Dog

When adult dogs are adopted, rescued, or moved into the house they often need to be house trained. This is a guide about house training an adult dog.

House Training an Adult Dog
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 12, 2016 Flag

I have a 8 year old Boxer. He's only been in my home for 2 years and I don't think that he was ever potty trained. He does great when I'm home, but I can leave him in the back yard for an hour, let him in and leave for 10 minutes and come home he will have peed and pooped all over the house. I tried using a crate and he took the door and the side panel clean off. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Boxer lying on blanket
    Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Boxers who've been rehomed from a happy home, or abused and then rehomed, tend to suffer separation anxiety and demonstrate it by two distinct behaviours - eliminating in the house, and chewing anything they can get their teeth into - furniture, doors, walls, floor coverings... The best thing to do is be patient (difficult, I know) because the dog is unfortunately at an age now where there are no real solutions. You can try creating a safe space - not the crate, or a room containing anything your Boxer can destroy, btw; use disposable tarpaulins to cover the floor in the safe space (these come on a roll in any DIY or big box paint department), these are relatively inexpensive, and make clean-ups fast and easy whilst protecting floors. Use one part of the room as an eating and sleeping area - no tarp, and the rest of the room with enough tarps laid down to cover the floor. Consider a radio playing softly - some Boxers like classical, others prefer talk radio.

Talk to your vet, he/she may have some suggestions (behaviour training, coping strategies).

I buried my ancient (14yo) Boxer in Feb 2007, he was the last of a long line of Boxers I raised in the US (I live in the UK now) as a breeder. I also did breed rescue - usually dogs the age your Boxer was when he came to live with you, I met through breed rescue needed rehoming to families/persons with the willingness and understanding (the probability the behaviours may never resolve) to cope with the separation anxiety behaviours in the way I outlined above.

Best luck, from the photo it's clear your Boxer is much loved and I wish you both the best coping with something he truly doesn't want to do but can't help doing when you leave the house even for a short time. If you can afford a dog-sitter and/or 'doggie day care', these dogs respond very well to either.

May 14, 2016 Flag

Any ideas for house training my 2 year old pup?

December 22, 2015 Flag

We have had our terrier for 4 years. He was a rescue dog and we got him from the person who rescued him so he has been passed around a bit. After 4 years he should feel settled, yet he constantly poos and pees in the house. He has been to the vet and is fit. He poos on any scrap of carpet even though the door is open for him to go out. He poos on the carpet in front of the door, 2 more steps and he would be in the garden.

He gets let out or taken out several times a day, so there's no need for him to do it. If we put him in the garden he constantly barks to come in. We suppose he wants to be with us, but in the last couple of months he keeps running away and has been picked up by the pound. There's always someone indoors as we are retired and he has plenty of attention; so what can we do? I know he is jealous of the grandchildren, but he is always the same.

First of all, he is not jealous of the grandchildren. Small dogs have delicate nervous systems and children can be noisy and make fast movements. This upsets the dog. He basically just doesn't want them around.

I agree the dog has never really settled in. He doesn't feel safe. The peeing and pooping is territory marking behavior. The running away is typical of dogs seeking a pack with which to bond.

You must do training with your dog. First, take him to obedience class. Learning to work with your pet will help bond the two of you. I would also suggest clicker training, a positive rewards based training. Your dog needs to feel that you are in charge so he can calm down.

http://www.clickertraining.com/dog-training

November 10, 2015 Flag

I am moving with my 15 year old dog, how do I potty train her?

Take your dog outdoors to the same area every two hours or so; however long she can hold it. Do this at the same time each day. Take water bowl away just after last potty break for the night or before you retire. Keep talking to the dog using simple words of potty time and eventually she'll get the idea why she's going out. Stay there with her and see that she does go before bringing her indoors.

May 2, 2015 Flag

We adopted my three year old Lab over a year and a half ago. She has always peed in the house. We gave it time, took her to the vet to make sure that there isn't something medically wrong with her, and even tried calm me down meds. It isn't when we leave for work or anything, it's any time we pet her or touch her and it's through out our entire house. I really don't want to take her back to the shelter, but that's what it is coming to if I can't figure out what to do to make her stop. Even if we just let her outside and watch her go to the bathroom then pet her when she comes inside she still pees. We just put all new flooring throughout our house and my husband and I are both simply fed up. Can anyone help us?

There might be a dog training person or facility in your area who may be able to offer help. You can discuss your problem and what you want to achieve. The dog trainer may be able to help with behavior modification training or may be able to suggest an alternative solution.

Read More Answers...

June 19, 2013 Flag

I got a Shepherd/Husky mix from a breeder at 7 months of age. They told me she was crate trained, but in reality I came to find out she was "pen" trained. I have attempted to crate train as I did with my other dog before her, but it is not working. She has accidents every day when she is not crated. Should I re-crate train her as if she was a small puppy meaning keeping her in the crate 24/7 except when it is time to eat and take her out? I know she can hold it because I crate her all night while we sleep and I also know she knows it is wrong to poop and pee in the house. I've tried everything, the bell on the door, the doors closed, her attached to me, but to no avail, she will be great all day and then when not attached to me and not crated she eventually goes somewhere in my house and I'm so done! I really love her, but do not know what to do. Please help!

By Maggie

Try changing her food and go back to crate training to house train as you would with a puppy. Here is a link from leerburg.com that may be of help to you.

Questions and answers:

http://leerburg.com/qa/qna_category.php?categoryid=3

Categories:

http://leerburg.com/qa/qna_category.php

Youtube.com

http://youtu.be/kZHk_7N_AXY

Hope these help you in your dog training.

Blessings, Robyn from Tennessee

Read More Answers...

June 29, 2015 Flag

My dog is 4 years old and has always used a newspaper lined litter inside the house. Now that we have a garden, we tried to retrain her to go outside. We even put the newspaper outside. She practically stopped eating and almost refuses to go outside when invited. Her behavior, otherwise, is normal. Any advice please.

Your dog thinks you have lost your marbles. You spent all that time teaching her where you want her to go and now you've changed your mind.

The good news is that your dog is well trained. You're more fortunate than you think. The shelters are full of untrained dogs.

I suggest you put the newspaper in the least offensive place in the house and be thankful your dog will use it. It's a lot easier than trying to teach an adult dog new tricks.

February 1, 2008 Flag

I have a dog that is almost 2 years old and is still not fully house trained. I'm open to any suggestions. Can anyone help?

Tammi from Swanzey, NH

I know what you mean I have two min pins - one is 6 yrs old she is no prob, but the male I inherited from my son who is in college, he is 4 yrs old. I just can't seem to get through to him. I have tried the crate it worked a few nites and then he started going in it. I feel like I need eyes in the back of my head- I have never caught him in the act. I am wondering if it is to late now, because he thinks doing his business in the house is normal I guess. I am really getting frustated. Any advice please holler bsck. White_Diamonds7(at)grnco(dot)net GOOG LUCK ALL! :)

Read More Answers...

June 12, 2015 Flag

I adopted a dog about 3.5 weeks ago. They said he's only a year, but other body features are showing he may be much older, maybe closer to 5. I only know that he came in as a stray when I rescued him. For the first week to two weeks of having him, he did great! No accidents in the house. tan and brown dog

Then I brought a friend over a few nights ago, they stayed the night as well. And the next day I started smelling something peeish. I thought it was my hamsters, but it turns out he peed in one area of my room. And he must have kept going there because I didn't realize it until it was too late. I have tan carpet that you can't tell if he peed or not, have to go by smell. I never did anything, told him no, because it was too late to do so.

Well the other morning I apparently wasn't fast enough to take him out (he is the first thing I take care of in the morning as I know how I get!), and he peed in the corner. I corrected that one because I saw. But now I'm afraid he is continuously going at night and it's in the back of my mind to the point I don't sleep well anymore. Any suggestions? He is fine when I am around him.

This is kind of a tricky one. I would try crating.

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/crate_training.html

May 7, 2015 Flag

I'm trying to train my 1.5 year old Maltese, Echo, to not pee on the floor. Idk what is going on. I rescued her and I think she may have been abused. If she is really excited she'll pee on the floor. If you put out your hand too quickly or try to put the leash on, she pees right there. Sometimes a lot, sometimes not. My husband is becoming quickly annoyed and I don't want to have to get rid of her as I'm attached. Please help!

This is a common problem and is called submission urination. It usually happens with puppies and they usually grow out of it. It may help for you (and your husband)to be very calm when dealing with your dog. The less stress she feels the less she will dribble. It may just be part of adjusting to a new home. Trainers and your Vet may have other options for you to try. Good luck.

April 9, 2015 Flag

two dogs and a kitten at the sliding doorI have the most lovable Bulldog. I rescued him when he was 7 years old, I've had him for just over a year. I also have a hound mix; I've had her since she was 12 weeks old and she's now 5. The problem is my Bulldog will mark up my living room. He pees on the couch, on the entertainment center, and on the book shelf. It is like a constant circle in the living room. I'm so frustrated and not sure what to do. He will be great for a few days, then "bam", he marks it up again!

By Evelyn

I have heard that de-sexing helps - but not sure. Speak to the vet.

December 5, 2013 Flag

Dog rolling in the grass.We are having trouble house training a 12 month old St. Bernard. When I first got her, at 5 weeks, my wife told me she was not "weaned" by her mother. She rolled in her own urine and feces, and it took me 8 months to finally get her to stop. When I leave her alone, or leave the house, she jumps on the couches and goes number 2. We haven't had an accident for months. Last night I took her out before I went to bed and not even an hour later I heard her urinating in her cage. I took her out immediately and cleaned her cage. She has done it 5 times since then and also goes outside. My question is, could it be medical or her in need of intense training?

By Jarrod A.

Talk to your Veterinarian.

October 1, 2013 Flag

Jack Russel lying on the bed.My Jack Russel was crate trained from 8 weeks until one year, then I moved and she has a porch with a basket/bed and a door constantly open to the garden so she can do her business whenever. She mainly does do it outside, but sometimes for example when it rains she poos inside and she knows she's done wrong, but still continues to do it! What can I do?

By Amelie

Hello,

Dogs are very sensitive to Rain. The sound is multiplied by almost 100. Sometimes the sound is very annoying and hurts their ears, yes, this is true, you can look it up. Also, make sure there is not a medical problem causing your fur baby to do this in the house. Good luck

March 18, 2013 Flag

I hope that my questions can be answered. Recently I moved into a new place and my 2 dogs have been acting up when it comes to potty training.

Yorkie.

Answer This QuestionMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
                  Load More
                  Pets Dogs House TrainingAugust 24, 2012
                  pug in a crate
                  Crate Training a Dog
                  Pug looking guilty.
                  Training a Dog to Poop on a Training Pad
                  Photo of a mistreated Pit Bull.
                  Training a Dog That Was Abused
                  agility training for your dog
                  Agility Training for Your Dog
                  © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 23, 2016 at 12:04:00 PM on 10.0.1.8 in 726 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.