Browsing: Keeping Cool in Hot Weather

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Keeping Cool in Hot Weather

When the temperatures rise, there are a number of ways to stay comfortable. This guide is about keeping cool in hot weather.

Woman Cooling Off in Front of Fan
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 16, 2010 Flag
Tips for Keeping Cool in the Summer

Cool off with these 30 Fun and Easy Tips:

1. Run through the sprinkler with your kids, get out the slip and slide, the super soaker or the kiddie pool (add ice cubes).

2. Have a water balloon fight.

3. Plug in the fans, add streamers. Mind your fingers! Put a bowl of ice in front of the fan for added cooling power.

4. Place a wet sheet in the open window. As the breeze passes through, you'll cool the room a bit. Frugal wind chill!

5. Go swimming. You don't sweat underwater!

6. Take a cold shower.

7. Freeze your shower gel before using.

8. Have your spouse or your kids run an ice cube up and down your back.

9. Stand in front of the freezer case at your local grocery.

10. Re-visit your basement (clean it out while you are down there cooling off).

11. Go ice skating.

12. Visit an air conditioned mall, library, or museum.

13. Head to a local cave where it is always about 54 degrees F.

14. Buy lemonade from the kids in your neighborhood.

15. Make your own sun tea, popsicles, or fruit smoothies.

16. Drink your coffee iced.

17. Think cool - tell yourself you are comfortable. Mind over matter really works!

18. Visit your local ice-cream parlor.

19. Wear linen, a straw hat, light colored clothing.

20. Watch "Cool" Movies: Happy Feet, Cool Hand Luke, Ice Age.

21. Listen to "Cool" Tunes: Ice-T, Vanilla Ice, Ice Cube.

22. Read a "Cool" Book: Scott of the Antarctic by David Crane, Into Think Ari by Jon Krakauer.

23. Put the top down ANYWAY!

24. Eat a salad dinner, picnic style.

25. Wash your car - Water hose fight!

26. Stay hydrated.

27. Sleep.

28. Exercise in the very early morning.

29. Close the damper on your fireplace to keep out hot air

30. Adopt a Cooling yoga position-seated forward bends, roll your tongue into a tube, and breathe in and out through it; pressing your chin to your chest as you breathe in. Check www.yogayak.com and search for cooling breath for a video.

By skibum1910 from Prospect, KY

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 10, 2010 Flag

The dog days of summer are soon upon us and that air conditioner looks mighty tempting, but keep these ideas in mind:

Get a case of half or full liters of water and store a bunch in the freezer until they are frozen solid. While sitting around the house watching TV, reading, etc., place bottles on the the back of your neck, the small of your back, and your lap. You may not even want the fan on since you'll feel so much cooler! And at bedtime or when leaving the house, just pop them back in the freezer for next time.

When you really have to use the A/C, make sure you have a standing fan as well. Fans cost less to use than A/C, but don't quite do the job on the hottest nights. You can run the A/C at a lower cheaper strength and add the fan. It creates an artificial windchill so it FEELS cooler without the higher A/C bill.

By Don from Staten Island, NY

Editor's Note: Do you have any tips for keeping cool during the hot summer? Post them here!

August 31, 2011 Flag

We have had lots of posts about facecloths and we all love them, so here is just one more small benefit. The heat in Europe is fierce these days, and I had been suffering until I remembered a trick I learned in Africa, but is surely well known in the southern USA.

Put a damp face cloth on the back of your neck for a few minutes, then move it around your shoulders, and finally placed it on top of head. I even put it on my chest as I worked on my laptop.

When it became as hot as I was myself, I refreshed with ice cold water and started all over again. I had a comfortable afternoon, and actually forgot it was 100 degrees outside. I have no air conditioning.

Perhaps this would help people to save on energy during these torrid months of summer.

By joanfry from France

July 8, 2010 Flag

I am really enjoying my parasol(s) this summer! Even with a hat and sunglasses, it's much nicer to have one's own shade at an outdoor party or event. And there are a lot of inexpensive options out there.

By pamphyila from L.A., CA

July 8, 2009 Flag

This is a health tip for dangerous hot weather.

July 10, 2012 Flag

Looking for a way for keeping cool without an air conditioner? Put a large bowl of ice cubes in front of a fan. Turn on the fan. The ice will cool the air from the fan and quickly cool you off. Replace ice cubes as needed.

July 23, 2010 Flag

I keep a sopping-wet micro fiber towel in a sealed Ziploc baggie in my refrigerator. I use the towel to wet myself down when heat gets to be too much. I then rinse the towel, wet it again to level of "soppiness", and cool in the refrigerator.

June 10, 2013 Flag

Since I don't have air conditioning in either my home or car, I keep spray bottles of water around for a quick cool off. When it starts getting hot, I just give myself a quick fine spray. It isn't enough to get really wet.

July 19, 2010 Flag

If you have to go out in this heat and you wear a cloth ball cap. Take some cold water and put it in the hat; wring the hat out so you don't drip on anything and put it on your head. It works. I've done this forever.

June 2, 2010 Flag

One of the best ways of dealing with summer heat as you work outside your home is to wear a clean wet towel around your neck.

April 27, 2009 Flag

Does anyone have any ideas on how to turn my fan into an air cooler? Inexpensively, obviously. I need them to do more than just blow the hot air around, I need them to blow cool air around. I've tried hanging Blue Ice in front of them but it didn't work.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I found a site that has instructions on turning your fan into a swamp cooler using a large container with a tight fitting lid, and some hand towels.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar ... _without_air_conditioning.html?cat=6

Read More Answers...

July 2, 2008 Flag

To keep cool on a very hot day, turn on your fan and arrange a bowl of ice-cubes in front of it. Just like having an air-conditioner without the cost. Enjoy!

April 10, 2014 Flag

I keep a large shoe-box-sized plastic container in the freezer filled with feed corn. It's actually wide enough for both of my bare feet to fit side-by-side. On hot days, or if my feet hurt, I pull it out, stick my feet into plastic bags, then dig my toes deep into the feed corn!

August 25, 2009 Flag

Years ago when I worked in a nursing home, the halls were air conditioned, but not the individual rooms. We would take a hand towel, soak it in cold water, ring it out and wrap around our necks, repeating as necessary. I have done this frequently at home, too.

September 7, 2006 Flag

Keep a few cans of tuna or chicken in the fridge, for in those times when you need a quick meal. They'll be great to either drain and toss on top of a green salad or a quickie dish of tuna or chicken salad.

June 8, 2007 Flag

For a nice pick-me-up for upcoming summer weather, put your spray on body mists or sprays in the refrigerator to keep them cold! When you spritz yourself, it's a nice treat to have tingling cold and pretty smelling mist rather then room temperature!

July 7, 2006 Flag

Tips for cooking in hot weather.

July 7, 2006 Flag

Tips for dealing with hot weather. Post your ideas.

July 26, 2005 Flag

Water is an ideal drink to cool your body. If choosing other drinks, when perspiring, consider the caffeine and sugar content. The sugar draws fluids away from the muscles where it's needed, plus adds calories.

August 25, 2009 Flag

This tip is about keeping cool while being outside in triple digit temps. I wet my cotton sleeveless shirt in refrigerator cooled water and do the same with a kingsize cotton pillow case. I wrap it around my neck, then tuck inside (looks cool if you match them together). Wet your hair in cool water, I do a ponytail and a white material head visor from the .99 cent store. I have a small spray bottle with cool water at the ready. I also site outside in the shade and soak my feet in cool water. I like being outside and this makes a huge difference.

By Pamela from Sun Lakes, AZ

Answers:

Keeping Cool During Hot Weather

I get those windshield sun screens from the $ store. It looks like a large piece of cardboard with aluminum foil and place them in every window of the house. i keep dark curtains also on the windows. The house is 10 degrees lower than the outside temp. (08/18/2009)

By Julius T. Ocrey

July 9, 2009 Flag

I would like to read about other peoples ideas for getting cool during hot weather.

By Eliza Maria from Chevy Chase, MD

Answers:

Keeping Cool During Hot Weather

Wear loose-fitting clothing made of natural fibers -

Drink lots of fluids - like ice tea

Shield your windows from the sun -

Use a fan in your car or truck if it lacks A/C

Take advantage of natural ventilation to move air around.

Attic insulation or fans help keep a house cool.

If you have an AC unit, you can direct its flow with fans -

Close down some rooms of the house/apt. and use the cool rooms. (In NYC we used to have one AC in the bedroom and virtually live there all summer!)

You can put bowls of water and/or water with ice cubes in front of fans to make a mini-swamp cooler.

Use your microwave as opposed to the oven!

If you are very hot put on wet clothing and let it dry on you, as they do in the tropics.

If you like hot food, indulge, as chilies make you sweat, and cool you naturally.

Use a sun shield on your windshield when you park your car to reduce heat build up.

Stay in the shade - and make some with a parasol or awning.

And think cool! (04/27/2009)

By pamphyila

Keeping Cool During Hot Weather

When I am going to go for a walk or be out in the sun working I wet a wash cloth and then leave it in a wringed up shape and freeze it then take it with me as as it starts to thaw it is wonderful to lay around my neck to stay cool, I do this also with crushed ice in baggies if at concerts etc to stay cool. Or wet bandannas and do the same but put on your head as head wear to stay cool works for kids to in the hot sun. (04/27/2009)

By theseamstress

Keeping Cool During Hot Weather

Inside or outside, a wet bathing suit helps to stay cool. Get in the shower, or get wet with a hose or even a play pool. (04/27/2009)

By ericksonjmarie

Keeping Cool During Hot Weather

This brings to mind a story; my younger brother was about 8 years old. We had no air conditioning at the time. He would always go put on his heavy winter coat in the middle of July! My mother asked him why he was wearing a heavy coat when it was so hot. His reply was, "It's so cool when I take it off!" (04/27/2009)

By vguy

Keeping Cool During Hot Weather

They sell a product that you put in the fridge overnight and then wrap around your neck when it's hot. It looks like a bandanna. I've seen my "horsey" friends wear them. If I'm out gardening I sometimes take a spray bottle with me and spray my face from time to time. We live way out in the country. (04/27/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Keeping Cool During Hot Weather

I make my own ice bags for around my neck. I use a dish towel or hand towel, one that is long enough to go around my neck with enough left to over-lap a few inches. If the towel is narrow, I fold it in thirds lengthwise. If it is wide, I fold it in half, then in thirds. The center 8" is for ice, so I sew a line of stitching across the strip on each side of the 8" mark. You can sew by hand or by machine. I sew a small strip of velcro where it overlaps when around my neck to keep it in place. The tri-fold makes a pocket so the ice won't fall out. I made several and after using they are machine washable and dryable and can be used from year to year. (04/27/2009)

By Anonymous

Keeping Cool During Hot Weather

Drink lots of water, splash your face and arms with cool water, and don't eat a lot of greasy food. (04/28/2009)

By yarnlady

Keeping Cool During Hot Weather

That bandana thing that Glenn's Mom said she has seen? I bought one for myself a couple of years ago. What a waste of money! When it's wet the thing weighs a ton! Sure it kept me cold, but in the meantime I got an ache in my neck and shoulders to beat all!

I keep a spray bottle with me that sprays a mist. When I get hot I spray my face, arms and legs. Even lift my shirt up and spray my belly and back. I also do the same for my dogs. I spray their bellies and faces too. (05/04/2009)

By Cricketnc

Keeping Cool During Hot Weather

My house is situated on the lot so that the front of the house gets the full force of the sun in the afternoon. Needless to say it gets so hot it wilts any plants I put in front of those windows. So I put up room darkening film on my windows----the darkest they make. I used to use dark curtains but then I feel like I'm in a dungeon all summer. The film works just as good without the dungeon feeling. I also put up room darkening screening. That way on days when I can open the windows, it's not so bad. (05/04/2009)

By Cricketnc

Keeping Cool During Hot Weather

I mow my lawn daily (we have almost 2 acres and I do it in sections, one section a day) using a power push mower. I do this for the exercise. But when the weather gets too hot, I make a slight change. I put my bathing suit on with shorts (at my age the neighbors don't need to see me just in my bathing suit). I wet myself down all over wiith either a shower or the hose and mow while I'm wet.

By the way, I found the best sunscreen I've ever used. And I'm sensitive to sunburn. It's a sport performance SPF 50. I haven't had the slightest burn since I started using it! (05/04/2009)

By Cricketnc

Keeping Cool During Hot Weather

I lived without airconditioning for years - didn't like it, but my house didn't have it. Some of the things I did was use a window fan - not the kind you buy at Wal-Mart (they're too little). If you can find one of the older ones (the old green kind - made of metal - about 40 years old), those are the best. If you do use one of those types of fans, don't open the windows all the way, one or two in every room open about 5 or 6 inches creates a nice air flow. An attic fan would be even better. Do most of your housework or yard work in the early morning or evening when it's cool. You might have to shower a couple of times a day on very, very hot days. Be sure to use lots of baby powder afterwards. Do not wear polyester or polyester blends as they tend to be hot. Wear natural cotton as much as possible.

On very, very hot days plan to go shopping where there is air conditioning or somewhere like Barnes and Noble where you can sit and read for a while. I used to go for a drive in my air conditioned car until it got cool.

I always have to have something covering me when I sleep, so a sheet worked very nicely.

In the evening, I would take a cool shower, use the baby powder and go to bed in front of my window with the summer breeze blowing across me. To this day, I prefer that rather than a colder air conditioned room.

The other ideas of wearing wet clothes are good also. If I absolutely had to mow the lawn, sometimes I'd leave the hose running and every five minutes or so, I'd go hose down - it was very effective in keeping me cool.

Another thing I noticed is when I'd come in very hot after mowing, water would make me nauseous. I'd need to drink koolaid with sugar or juice. However, if you're not working that hard, sweetened drinks do tend to make you hotter. For normal thirst, the best thing is water or tea or a light juice. Sweetened sodas will make you feel hotter. (05/05/2009)

By Noella

Health & Beauty AdviceJuly 10, 2012
A dog drinking water on a hot day.
Keeping Your Dog Safe in Hot Weather
Pink rose with bumble bee.
Growing Roses in Hot Weather
Hot Tea
Cooling Down Hot Drinks
Hot Weather Cooking
Hot Weather Cooking Tips
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 29, 2016 at 11:07:12 PM on 10.0.2.222 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.