Keeping Squirrels from Digging in Plants

Squirrels can cause a lot of damage in plant containers and the garden. This guide is about keeping squirrels from digging in plants.

Brown squirrel eating
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 30, 2016 Flag

Squirrels come onto my patio and dig dirt out of my plant/flower pots. How can I keep them from doing that? I know they like to dig (ground squirrels), but why my flower pots? This is the second year in a row.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Cayenne pepper!

March 14, 2010 Flag

I tried to plant seeds and then actual plants in my porch flower boxes. The squirrels keep digging them up and destroying them. I live across the street from a park. I tried putting mesh on top of the soil, I tried moth crystals, no help. Anybody got an idea? Planting season is soon here in Milwaukee and I want some flowers.

By Kathy from Milwaukee, WI

Also if you put out ears of corn the squirrels may enjoy that as a treat. Think about it, if you were hungry and you saw free food growing fresh, would you not want to nibble?

Lolll Please... Do not attract the squirrels with luring them to your garden with other food. Unless you plan on feeding them every day and putting more and more food out for them as they start breeding and burrowing close to the food source.

The moment you don't feed them, guess what they will eat. I put (not chicken wire because if they can fit their head-they can fit their body) but galvanized mesh under the soil (about a foot or more deep) then put the weed blocker on top then the soil. I use wooden stakes around the garden with mesh stapled to cover the top and sides. If you want to get fancy-Make a frame with hinges on the top so it opens up.

Read More Answers...

August 12, 2013 Flag

Don't bother with the tip about scattering moth balls. I did this and next morning, they were all GONE. The squirrels must have loved them. My face fell a mile. Ha Ha.

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 23, 2013 Flag

I have lost hundreds of dollars and many man hours due to squirrels digging in potted plants. I would come home from work only to find many pots knocked off a wall or bench. The plants, sometimes expensive, would be lying beside the pots with roots having been exposed to hot sun all day. Many plants could not be salvaged.

In the picture, the pot on the right shows what I've had to resort to in order to keep the squirrels at bay, mounding the pots high with small rocks. Moving large pots with all those rocks was quite a chore.

The pot on the left shows an experiment I started today. I have cut blackberry vines covered with merciless thorns into small segments and placed them very close together in the top of the pot, sticking up in the soil and lying down on the soil. There's no way a little paw can dig in the pot without encountering many thorns.

As I said, this is an experiment I started today. If the vines prove to be an effective squirrel deterrent, I will post back with the good news.

Wish me luck!

Stop Squirrels From Digging In Potted Plants

June 5, 2007 Flag

During the summer, I plant vegetables in containers and keep them on my deck. In the past, I've had a great deal of difficulty keeping the squirrels from digging up my new sprouts. A friend gave me an idea which has worked well. What you do is get a package of bamboo skewers, which usually runs about a dollar, and stick the skewers into the soil, with the points sticking up out of the soil and over the edge of the pot. This deters the squirrels from climbing into the pots to dig up the seedlings. It's worked very well, no squirrels have been injured, and my vegetables are allowed to flourish.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

March 16, 2010 Flag

The day before yesterday I planted over 50 sunflower seeds against our fence post in the back yard. Later that day and the next morning I noticed a squirrel over by the fence. I checked and do you know he dug up and ate all of my sunflower seeds all down the row of the fence. They were all cracked open and just laying there.

My mom said, because we have them on hand to stake some disposable red plates just around the line of the seeds when I plant them until they sprout.

Will this work? Any suggestions will help, because of course I want to plant more, but not for the squirrel to eat. Do they watch you do this or do they actually smell the seeds underground? Help.

By Laura from Ocala, FL

To keep squirrels away from your seedlings and bulbs other than cayenne pepper, sprinkle unused ground coffee all around the plants, when you cut your hair take the hair that has been cut off and sprinkle it around the exterior of your garden. This will keep most animals out. And finally, soak rags in white vinegar and hang around the exterior of the garden even when the vinegar dries on the rags it still repels the animals. I have tried all of these and they all work and haven't had a problem since. :) Happy Gardening.

Does this work well with stopping birds from eating from blueberry bushes?

Read More Answers...

September 10, 2011 Flag

The squirrels are destroying my plants by digging in all the pots. Anyone have any methods to preclude this?

By Elizabeth A.

I've been using a the same method for years with great success. I found a roll of plastic mesh at a garage sale many years ago--my husband says it's used for keeping leaves out of gutters on the house. I cut it to fit whatever area I want to protect and simply lay it over the soil. I've cut metal pins out of old hangers to secure the mesh in place. But I've also just used sturdy bits of twig or even stones to hold it down. I've used it to cover seeds in the flower beds (they love to dig up sunflower seeds!) and on the soil in potted plants outside. Hope this helps, it's worked wonders for me and I always seem to find another roll at a garage sale about the time I need a new one. Though it's not expensive if you have to buy it in a home store.

One or two mothballs will keep the squirrels out.

Read More Answers...

May 29, 2009 Flag

I live in a garden apartment and my upstairs neighbor feeds the very large squirrel population. I love to grow flowers in planters on the stoop, but the squirrels uproot the flowers and I find them lying dead next to the planters.

Does anyone know any "annual" flowers that they don't like or have any suggestions? I'm so tired of spending money on flowers and it also makes me so sad to see them destroyed. (Forget the neighbor, as no one can make him stop feeding them.) Thanks.

By SBTulip115 from Queens, NY

Cedar squares like you hang in closets will help as well. Put them on top of your planters. And rubber snakes, as long as you remember they are there! And fake owls work for a while.

Hot pepper sauce will keep the critters away, good luck

Read More Answers...

July 5, 2012 Flag

How do I keep squirrels out of potted plants on the patio?

By Susan

Try cutting saucer-like collars out of chicken wire to lay on top of the dirt in the pots. There is also a plastic called Bird Netting that you could use and might look better as it is black. It would be easier to cut. Both of these can be purchased at a hardware store.

A few years ago, squirrels dug up all my avocado trees to eat the pits they were growing from. I guess they were easy food.

April 20, 2010 Flag

What can I purchase to stop squirrels from digging up all of my plants? I need the name of a product and where it can be purchased.

Thank you.

By Beryl from Brooklyn

I haven't found anything to apply to the flower pots on my patio to keep the squirrels out. They dig the dirt out and eat the roots. Unfortunately, it is illegal in the city I live in to even shoot them with a pellet gun. I would recommend screen material rather than chicken wire, because the little devils can probably get their grubby paws in the openings of the chicken wire. However, unless you have a large number of pots and/or storage room, buying a roll of either one isn't really feasible.

I also have trouble with rabbits eating the plants---they must think it is a salad bar, lol. I have tried the pepper spray, sprinkling cayenne pepper on them, and using the bags of animal hair. Living in a apartment complex there isn't much I can do in the yard. All I can say is I have decided these little critters that some people think are so cute are a real pain in the you know where. Oh yes! We also have a flock of about 14 wild turkeys that roam around here. I know some of the people around here are feeding all of the wild things around here, and if they would quit, the critters wouldn't find the complex so inviting.

I recently spent a lot of money and energy planting flowers in my back yard. We have tons of squirrels and they proceeded to ravage my flowers. They tore up and ate 2 cinnamon ferns and 6 astilbes. I had problems in the past with squirrels and used a hot pepper spray and moth balls all to no avail. Yesterday I went to our local greenhouse and found a product called "Shake Away". It is granulated fox urine and it's been less than 24 hours and not 1, i repeat not 1 squirrel in the yard! I recommend this product to anyone with squirrels damaging their flowers. It works!

Read More Answers...

July 16, 2010 Flag

Squirrels are eating my tomatoes! I've tried every trick in the book, chicken wire to surround plants, doffee grounds, skunk plants, whirrley-birds, flags, streamers, fake snakes, fake owls, moth balls, Shake Away urine granules (and human, I was desperate), dog hair and human hair. I put grease and hot pepper on the fence and plants last year. The hot pepper on my plants killed the leaves and vines!

My dogs were indoor animals so I couldn't leave them outside all day. Tonight I tried another hot pepper receipt to spray (instead of shake) on tomatoes, but the spray bottle atomizer clogged up, so instead of wasting the mixture, I just shook it over parts of the plants and fence. Am I supposed to be using a commercial-type garden sprayer or just a kitchen-type sprayer?

A squirrel was even hanging upside-down eating sugar water out of my humming bird feeder. I don't want to kill them, but that was suggested and then hang the body by the tomatoes to ward off other squirrels.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By Doody from Dayton, OH

I have a squirrel problems at my apartment they come on the ledge and try to come inside.

What is the best way to get rid of them and open my windows this spring?

ramundsen@nc.rr.com

mix cheap hot pepper sauce and veg. oil 50/50 and spray areas where you do not want squirrels or other animals and repeat weekly and after it rains. works on bird feeders-spray everything except where seed comes out even hanger.

June 8, 2012 Flag

I have a balcony one floor up from the ground. There are trees on either side, and the squirrels climb up them, then onto a ledge, then onto my balcony where they dig in my flower pots and eat through the wire on my string lights.

I bought tall planters which stopped them for a while, and now they've figured how to get into those and dig and kick the dirt all over the balcony.

I'm wondering if there is some sort of a shield that can be attached to the trees that might have barbed wire or some other pointy/ouchy surface that would deter the little brats. Any ideas?

By Lynn G.

If this is an apartment building the trees are in a common area and can't be tampered with. Have you thought of putting some sort of ouchies in the dirt in your flower pots and around the railing of the balcony? I can't really be reasonable about this because I can't stand squirrels. As far as I am concerned they are tree rats. They are smart enough not to come back if they get nicked in the hiney when they jump onto the balcony railing.

October 5, 2006 Flag

If you have pets or animals that roam your area try adding chicken wire under your plants. This way if something tries to dig in your garden or flower beds, it will stop them in their tracks. Most animals who dig do not like the feeling they get when they scratch their paws along the wire. It also serves a dual purpose - it acts as a grid for planning your plantings!

By lifewithmadman from Little Rock AR

April 20, 2010 Flag

How can I keep squirrels from digging in my outdoor potted plants?

March 14, 2010 Flag

Is there a home remedy I can use to keep squirrels from eating the plants in my garden?

June 13, 2007 Flag
        Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
        Home and Garden Pest Control Squirrels and ChipmunksJune 10, 2012
        Closeup of Gray Squirrel
        Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
        A cat in a house plant.
        Keeping Cats Out of House Plants
        Squirrels outside.
        Keeping Squirrels From Chewing on a House
        Squirrel Eating From Bird Feeder
        Keeping Squirrels Away (Deterring Squirrels)
        © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 28, 2016 at 8:08:26 PM on 10.0.0.85 in 860 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.