Keeping Squirrels from Digging in Plants

Squirrels can cause a lot of damage in plant containers and the garden. This guide is about keeping squirrels from digging in plants.

September 23, 2013 Flag

I have lost hundreds of dollars and many man hours due to squirrels digging in potted plants. I would come home from work only to find many pots knocked off a wall or bench. The plants, sometimes expensive, would be lying beside the pots with roots having been exposed to hot sun all day. Many plants could not be salvaged.

In the picture, the pot on the right shows what I've had to resort to in order to keep the squirrels at bay, mounding the pots high with small rocks. Moving large pots with all those rocks was quite a chore.

The pot on the left shows an experiment I started today. I have cut blackberry vines covered with merciless thorns into small segments and placed them very close together in the top of the pot, sticking up in the soil and lying down on the soil. There's no way a little paw can dig in the pot without encountering many thorns.

As I said, this is an experiment I started today. If the vines prove to be an effective squirrel deterrent, I will post back with the good news.

Wish me luck!

I just trimed my rose bush so i'm going to cut seveal lenghts and put them in my pots to see if this will help or mouse traps

Hello I'm so sorry I'm going to the same problem I don't know what to do either somebody help me I can't afford to build a fancy fence at this one persons talking about I'm all by myself I ordered all kinds of plants from Burpee and they're all gone now they cheered he chewed them all away

June 5, 2007 Flag

During the summer, I plant vegetables in containers and keep them on my deck. In the past, I've had a great deal of difficulty keeping the squirrels from digging up my new sprouts. A friend gave me an idea which has worked well.

August 12, 2013 Flag

Don't bother with the tip about scattering moth balls. I did this and next morning, they were all GONE. The squirrels must have loved them.

March 30, 2016 Flag

Squirrels come onto my patio and dig dirt out of my plant/flower pots. How can I keep them from doing that? I know they like to dig (ground squirrels), but why my flower pots? This is the second year in a row.

I have a neighbour who feeds the squirrels peanuts. They run directly across from her house to my flower pots. I've tried all the recommended remedies: cayenne pepper, chicken manure, blood meal, and the latest - chicken wire. Nothing works. Sorry.

I wonder if a couple layers of rocks would help. The rocks, about the size of quarters, would let water through to water the plants but wouldn't be great for burying the peanuts. Of course, this would be for plants that are already growing, not for seedlings. I see little bags of polished stones in the Dollar store, if you don't have access to a beach or the like.

March 14, 2010 Flag

I tried to plant seeds and then actual plants in my porch flower boxes. The squirrels keep digging them up and destroying them. I live across the street from a park. I tried putting mesh on top of the soil, I tried moth crystals, no help. Anybody got an idea? Planting season is soon here in Milwaukee and I want some flowers.

By Kathy from Milwaukee, WI

One of the most effective remedies I found is to use gutter guard around the perimeter of the planter. Make sure to cut the top with a tin snip or sharp scissor so the edges are sharp. Also, since gutter guard contains small openings, you can place sticks and such through them. This seems to keep squirrels and chipmunks away

I think squirrels are digging in my window boxes on my deck. What can I put in the boxes to deter the squirrels. Without killing my plants

March 16, 2010 Flag

The day before yesterday I planted over 50 sunflower seeds against our fence post in the back yard. Later that day and the next morning I noticed a squirrel over by the fence. I checked and do you know he dug up and ate all of my sunflower seeds all down the row of the fence. They were all cracked open and just laying there.

My mom said, because we have them on hand to stake some disposable red plates just around the line of the seeds when I plant them until they sprout.

Will this work? Any suggestions will help, because of course I want to plant more, but not for the squirrel to eat. Do they watch you do this or do they actually smell the seeds underground? Help.

By Laura from Ocala, FL

Does this work well with stopping birds from eating from blueberry bushes?

RAT POISON!!

September 10, 2011 Flag

The squirrels are destroying my plants by digging in all the pots. Anyone have any methods to preclude this?

By Elizabeth A.

Doesn't work for me, they eat them.

That was asked in another post - said it did NOT work.

October 5, 2006 Flag

If you have pets or animals that roam your area try adding chicken wire under your plants.

May 29, 2009 Flag

I live in a garden apartment and my upstairs neighbor feeds the very large squirrel population. I love to grow flowers in planters on the stoop, but the squirrels uproot the flowers and I find them lying dead next to the planters.

Does anyone know any "annual" flowers that they don't like or have any suggestions? I'm so tired of spending money on flowers and it also makes me so sad to see them destroyed. (Forget the neighbor, as no one can make him stop feeding them.) Thanks.

By SBTulip115 from Queens, NY

Try sprinkling cayenne pepper around your plants, it usually works!

Buy a cat.

July 5, 2012 Flag

How do I keep squirrels out of potted plants on the patio?

By Susan

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try cutting saucer-like collars out of chicken wire to lay on top of the dirt in the pots. There is also a plastic called Bird Netting that you could use and might look better as it is black. It would be easier to cut. Both of these can be purchased at a hardware store.

A few years ago, squirrels dug up all my avocado trees to eat the pits they were growing from. I guess they were easy food.

April 20, 2010 Flag

What can I purchase to stop squirrels from digging up all of my plants? I need the name of a product and where it can be purchased. Thank you.

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control Squirrels and ChipmunksJune 10, 2012
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
A cat in a house plant.
Keeping Cats Out of House Plants
Squirrels outside.
Keeping Squirrels From Chewing on a House
Squirrel Eating From Bird Feeder
Keeping Squirrels Away (Deterring Squirrels)
🎉
🎄