Kenmore Refrigerator Not Cooling

Category Refrigerator
When a refrigerator no longer cools it is time for immediate action, either calling a repair person or troubleshooting the problem for a home repair. This is a guide about a Kenmore refrigerator not cooling.

Refrigerator

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

When your fridge and freezer stop cooling it can quickly become an expensive fix. Not only is there the cost of repairs, but there may be food spoilage as well. This page looks at some causes and solutions for a Kenmore refrigerator and freezer not cooling.

I have a Kenmore refrigerator model # 106.56642500. It is not cooling at all, you can hear when it turns on, but it does not get cool at all. I left it on all night and still it did not cool.

By Juan

Answer Was this helpful? 4

This is what is going on with my refrigerator the freezer works but not the refrigerator what can I do?

My Kenmore refrigerator is not cooling/freezing. What could be causing this?

It really could be anything and, unless you were an appliance repairperson, I see no recourse other than hiring someone to check it for you.

there are many websites and videos that can instruct you how to diagnose and fix any appliance. If you have the time, tools, and patience, you could actually manage to fix it yourself. http://www.appl  -cold-enough.php

"Start out with the easy stuff first...make sure the lights go out when you close the door(s), make sure the doors are closing properly and the gaskets are closing fully and not torn. Check to make sure the evaporator fan in the freezer is working, this fan blows the cold air around. If the fan is not working, possible bad fan motor - check for power to the fan motor and also check the fan switches around the door openings, ( if your fridge has these switches, not all do )."

Our Kenmore refrigerator with a bottom freezer is not cooling (either one). We began seeing water come from the bottom of it. We purchased it June 2012 and had a Kenmore appliance dealer come out to evaluate it. Unfortunately, we had unplugged the appliance and were not told prior to make sure it was plugged in. They couldn't test to their fullest potential being it was not plugged in for several hours. They did comment that they have seen more and more Kenmore appliances 3-5 years old that have a line inside that is plugged. To get to it, would cost approx. $600-800. Any comment, would be appreciated. Model: 795.72034.111

Check Craigslist in your area for a refrigerator repairman.

The fridge on fridge/freezer is not cooling. The freezer is working fine.

By Roy

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Try unplugging it from the wall for about ten seconds and plugging it back in. This happens to me all the time. But on mine the freezer stops as well.

My Kenmore model 253 refrigerator is not cooling at all. However the freezer is working fine.

By L.J.

Our super dooper, hoity toity french door, bottom freezer unit did the same thing...(our old fridge has been running for almost 40 years). We were told to turn it off for about 6 hours (don't open if you can help it) and then back on. We have done this twice now. It works. Then read where if you keep turning up the 'cold' setting it freezes something up inside. So I keep it right in the middle temp and have had no problems for quite a while now. Nothing is like it used to be in quality now-a-days! Good luck!

My refrigerator is not cooling and freezing. All I heard was a clicking sound. This morning there was water on the floor. I then unplugged it, but no help. The freezer is all filled with water and the refrigerator is not cool. The water has stopped coming from the fridge, but still it's all messy.

Please help, the model no. is 2537988832990.

You can contact Kenmore directly by phone for help in identifying the problem:

Retail Customer Care

1-800-549-4505

A tech from Sears changed the board in my 4 year old French door Kenmore fridge with bottom freezer. Three hours after installing it, I still don't feel the air flowing. The fridge is running, but no change yet. Is it is too early to say or I should feel a temperature change already or what?

The Sears tech replaced the board so contact Sears to answer your questions.

I got this fridge second hand and the lights inside came on, the digital read out was operational, no codes. I replaced the compressor relay and then the fans and compressor came on. There was still no cold. I replaced defrost timer; still no cold air. I inspected the mainboard for any signs of burnt or obvious signs of a blow out; all looked ok. I do not know what to do next. We can't afford a new fridge nor a repair man.

By Dwight

Older types of refrigerators need to have top ups of gas (sorry I don't know what type) in the compressor tank. Could you try filling it up?

I have a Kenmore fridge with the bottom freezer. It has been working just fine. Today I noticed that things in the refrigerator/top are not as cold as the have been every other time I have opened the fridge. Things in the freezer are still frozen and don't seem to be thawing at all. Any ideas on things I can do myself before calling out a professional?

By April J.

Your fridge has dual temperature controls. The top should be around 41-45 degrees. Perhaps it got bumped? Check it first. It's like calling a tow truck to find your car just wasn't in park.

The power to this house was turn off for about 6 months and now the refrigerator and freezer are not working. They were working when the power was shut off.

I have found that sometimes things don't work properly if they are shut off for long periods of time. Goodness knows why that is, but that seems to be the case. My renter refused to use the dishwasher in our mobile home, and when she moved out, the thing wouldn't work any more. However, it seems strange to me that both appliances don't work. Could it be the outlets rather than the appliances? Is there some sort of shut off -- breaker or electrical switch that could be shut off? Do the outlets work for something else, like a lamp? Is there some sort of on/off switch in the appliances that you may have forgotten to turn on or a thermostat that you need to turn up (or down, depending on your point of view). For example, in my fridge there is a temp control from 0 to 9; if it is set at 0, the fridge doesn't actually cool down. Explore some of these possibilities, and if nothing works, I'd phone a repairperson.

I was having problems with my freezer pouring water into the refrigerator so I opened it up and it was froze up. I noticed the drain hole was frozen over so I unplugged it and let it set for 24 hours to melt. When I plugged it back up the next day the freezer was freezing, but the refrigerator was not cooling. I have cleaned it well and checked the fans and they are running. What do I do next? Can anyone help?

By Angelia

It depends on how old your refrigerator is. My 14year old fridge had the same problem and it was an easy fix by a repairman. apparently the older types have two compressors at the back.

The "fridge" compressor had got low on the "gas"(or whatever it is that's in the compressor) needed for it to work but the "freezer" compressor was fine. the guy just topped up the compressor and it works fine. and it wasn't expensive to fix, just took a few minutes. just make sure that you have a trustworthy repairman who is honest.

The fan motor died in my previous fridge, so while I am fixing it I am borrowing a full size Kenmore stand up fridge/freezer from a friend who had it sitting in his garage. We brought it to my house on Saturday, and were worried it might not be good from sitting. But, we plugged it in, and it started getting cooler. We put my food in it, and it was cold Saturday night when I went to bed.

I got home from work on Sunday, and it actually feels warm inside now. All the meat I had in the freezer is now bad. It is running, and I checked the settings and both fridge and freezer are on coldest setting (that's where I set it when we moved it in, because I was hoping that would help it get cold faster). It almost seems like it's running non-stop. The friend who owns the fridge seems to think it's stuck in a defrost mode and can't get out of it. What should I do before all my food goes bad?

By Matt D.

Years ago you could rent a freezer unit in a warehouse. I don't know if you still can, but probably. People rented them after hunting and fishing trips when they had a lot of meat to freeze. Otherwise, surely a couple of neighbors could let you have a little room in their freezers and refrigerators temporarily.

My refrigerator is not cooling and freezing. The motor stopped running and all I heard was a clicking sound. I cleaned the whole underneath and now the motor is running, but there is only cool air coming out and it is not freezing. This was 5 hours ago. Do I have to give it more time?

By Arlene

I doubt it. I do not know if refrigerators are economical to repair. When mine quit running, I bought a new one. Usually they run forever.

My Kenmore bottom freezer and top fridge is not cooling. I hear a relay click on and then a buzzing noise for about 10 to 15 secs. It does this continually.

By Dan S.

Could you be low on freon? My husband said that if the fridge is low on freon, it might not work.

It is a side by side that is about 13 years old. The freezer works fine. It was over full so I took everything out, cleaned inside and out, cleaned the coils and around the compressor. It has been pretty much sitting empty for at least 12 hours and the temperature is hanging at about 40 degrees. I have settings 1-6 on the fridge. I had previously turned it up to 4 1/2 when it was full. I read that you should leave it mid way on the factory suggested settings so it will work better. I unplugged it for a few minutes and turned it down. I'm going to leave it where it is overnight and see what it is at in the morning.

Other than the things I have already done, are there any other diy suggestions on things I can try? Before I call a repairman or buy a new fridge.

The refrigerator is warm and the freezer is working fine. I have a bottom mount freezer, Kenmore model 596.69162990, that is 13 years old. The coils have been cleaned. The air vents in the refrigerator are not blocked. What next?

By Mary D

I had the same problem and despite the fridge freezer being frost free, it was completely clogged with ice inside. It took four days to defrost but now works fine. Engineer said even if frost free, you should defrost them completely every 6 months or so. Hope this helps!

I have a Kenmore side by side refrigerator and the cooling fan is not turning on. The water wasn't working, but I was able to defrost the valve located in the fridge behind the crisper. I tried unplugging it and vacuuming under and behind the fridge. Is there anything else I can do?

By James

I had the same problem after laying new tile. When the guys moved the fridge back, a tile lifted and was stuck under the fridge keeping the fan from moving. Mine actually got hot.

I have a Kenmore Hotspot Refrigerator side by side. The fridge is running, but then the freezer and frig get warm. What can I do to fix it myself?

By Juanita

I had a 'fridge do that to me (a GE) and I had a repairman in who said the thermostat was bad. It cost me $75USD in 2008 to replace.

The fridge ran for about another year and then started having the same problem again. I wasn't happy. The condenser kept cycling but the fridge got warmer. And warmer. And warmer.

I called the GE 800 phone number and talked to a living breathing repairman. The news wasn't good:

Apparently when a thermostat wears out the condenser should be replaced at the same time (wish the repairman had mentioned that little bit of info in '08!).

Considering the cost of replacing the condenser, it worked out to be a better decision to replace the old wheezer (it was about ten years old at the time) for a new more energy efficient model.

What controls the evaporator fan inside the freezer and evaporator fan condenser? Is it the door switch?

By Albert

I have a Kenmore top freezer refrigerator unit. The power is on, however my refrigerator is not getting cold.

By Ricky

I have a Kenmore side by side model #795.5881. It quit working completely.

By Frank

I have a Kenmore refrigerator with bottom freezer, model #59666032600. The freezer works, compressor works, and the compressor fan works, but the refrigerator does not get cold.
The air regulator gate in the refrigerator opens and closes okay.
Is there another fan that sucks air out of the fridge compartment that might have failed?

By Mike D

I have a Kenmore side by side refrigerator. The power to the fan motor goes on and off.

By James

My Kenmore side by side is not cooling. It is 7 years old. The motor and fan run, but there is no cool air. I want to clean the dust underneath, but do not know how to remove front bottom panel. Any ideas of what is going on?

By Cheryl from Poughkeepsie, NY

Answer Was this helpful? 4

I just went through that with mine, and after calling and talking to a repairman who couldn't make it out to where we are located. He suggested checking the temperature controls. The freezer unit should never, ever be set more than 1/2 way point on the controls. If it is set higher then the fridge spends all the time trying to bring down the temp of the freezer, leaving no cold air for the fridge. He suggested raising the temp to at least the 1/2 way point or "warmer" to allow the fridge to cool down properly. Don't know if it will work for yours, but it saved us from having to buy a new fridge.

My Kenmore, model 795.7900.901, refrigerator's freezer temp is reading at 4,5,6. The temp control for the frig is blank. Any suggestions?

By Bob

My Kenmore model 596.67272790 bottom freezer stays cold, but top refrigerator gets warm after about a week. Everything has been cleaned out and door seals are in place. The blower fan runs. It seems like the unit is not defrosting and freezing up (bottom unit behind panel in freezer section). I defrost it, but in a week the top fridge gets warm again (no cool air flow from freezer). Bottom freezer never gets warm. Fridge kicks on and off with no problems. No issues at all until bottom coils freeze up again, then I defrost them. All is good for only a week or so.

By Glenn

I have a Kenmore double sided refrigerator with built in ice/water dispenser on freezer side. It seems like the freezer is fine and keeping cold, but refrigerator side only stays cool no matter what the temperature is set on. Is there anything I can try at home to remedy this? Your quick response would be very appreciated since I am losing food.

By Roxanne from Gretna, LA

My Kenmore refrigerator, model 79569009900 is too warm. I replaced the circuit board and both senors, but it is still not working.

By Hayden

I had a Kenmore refrigerator given to me and the ice froze. So I was using a blow dryer, but I left it on too long and it started to melt the plastic. Now my fridge will not cool or freeze completely. What did I do to it? How do I fix it?

By jeepchic78

Answers:

Refrigerator Doesn't Stay Cold

When we moved into our house the previous owners had left the fridge, I noticed that it didn't seem to keep stuff cold and the door was actually warm. I pulled out the fridge to clean behind it and it was pretty bad so when I pushed it back in place I removed the grill on the bottom and found the inside caked with clumps of cat hair from their cat! I vacuumed this all out and the fridge ran fine after that. So if you have pets it might be the problem, but you should clean under there every 6 months or so anyway to get all the dust out. Hope this helps. (09/25/2009)

By dwutz

I haven't sent a tip in a long time. Here is one that may help. If your refrigerator is not cooling as it should, the defrosting mechanism in the freezer may have gone out and the defroster coils are iced up. If you don't have money to run out and buy a new refrigerator, here is what you can do.

Two years ago, we paid about $200.00 to get the defroster in our freezer replaced. Well, lo and behold, it went out again last week. Since my husband and I watched the repairman and my husband helped him, we know what to do. First, unplug the refrigerator. Remove all the shelves from the freezer. Take the panel from the inside back of the freezer.

You will need a screwdriver and/or wrench of the right size to undo the screws. Plug the drain hole in the bottom of the freezer to keep water from dripping through to the floor. You will see an ice buildup on coils at the inside back of the freezer. Get plenty of old towels. Put one in the bottom of the freezer and change it when it becomes soaked. Melt the ice with a hairdryer.

Use common sense and don't get any water on the hair dryer or let the floor get wet. It may take two people to do this; one to use the hairdryer and the other to handle the wet towels. When you get the ice melted, put the panel back in and it will run fine until it ices up again; we let ours go a week before we thawed it again. Don't forget to plug it back in.

If you decide to get a repairman, it will save his time (and your money) if you have it ice-free when he comes. I may get a less-than-year-old Energy Star refrigerator from my friend in June and it seems silly to spend the money on getting the more than ten-year-old fridge repaired. So, we are going to do this once a week until then.

By Aunt Sharon from Whitewright, TX

Answers:

Refrigerator Doesn't Stay Cold

One thing that helps is to vacuum out the coils in the bottom of the fridg, they are under the bottom. Use a vacuum with a small crevice tool and get one of those long brushes, so you can get all the way to the back. You will be amazed at the amount of dirt and accumulated dust. This should be done about every 6 months. This allows the motor to cool better and not overheat the motor. You could end up damaging a lot of parts by not doing this. (05/15/2009)

By c t

We have a spare refrigerator in our basement that is used regularly since our kitchen refrigerator is small. I am having problems with the one in the basement. I have both refrigerator and freezer controls turned to the coldest settings. The freezer is fine but the refrigerator is under the recommended temperature for a refrigerator.

I am only using it for a short time for fresh veggies, fruit, and some beverages. My husband is quite handy at fixing, but can't diagnose the problem. Honestly, I think he just wants to get rid of the refrigerator. I want it keep it because I know we really do need it. He is not the one trying to figure out how to keep our foods cold every day so it doesn't really matter to him. I think if we did get rid of it then he would understand.

Could someone suggest a web site to use or have an answer to what may be wrong with the refrigerator? My sister thinks she has the solution. This has something to do with the electrical connection. She seems to think that there is too much electrical usage on the one line and the refrigerator needs more "juice" to run properly. We rent the house so we really don't have much control with this.

On the one electrical line we have our washer, an upright freezer, and some lights and other things along with this refrigerator. I don't quite know if this could be true. I forgot to mention that during the winter months, the refrigerator runs cold but I still have it set on the coldest setting. So basically when the outside temperature is cold, I can use the refrigerator safely. Our basement is more of a cellar and doesn't have any heat other than the heater when it runs.

By Mkymlp from USA

Answers:

Refrigerator Doesn't Stay Cold

Electricity is not the problem, you only have one plug and unless it is very unusual, only one compressor so I would look to the temperature control. It is also possible that the air opening where the cold air comes out is somehow blocked.

If you have to keep both parts on the coldest setting, it is time to replace. What you save in energy will more than make up for the price of a used unit. Our local appliance stores sell good, used appliances for $50 or less rather than have to recycle them. My friend bought a like new washer for $10 and it works great. (04/25/2009)

By zoodad

Refrigerator Doesn't Stay Cold

Do you clean behind and under the fridge? Dust may have accumulated on the coils. How old is your fridge? It may be time to get a new one. (04/25/2009)

By OliveOyl

Refrigerator Doesn't Stay Cold

I would suggest checking to see if it needs freon or a similar type gas. Sometimes just being a little low can upset the way it will cool. (05/03/2009)

By lostinthe

My refrigerator does not stay cold anymore. It blows warm air. What should I do?