Kenmore Refrigerator Not Cooling

When a refrigerator no longer cools it is time for immediate action, either calling a repair person or troubleshooting the problem for a home repair. This is a guide about a Kenmore refrigerator not cooling.

Kenmore Refrigerator
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Our Kenmore refrigerator with a bottom freezer is not cooling (either one). We began seeing water come from the bottom of it. We purchased it June 2012 and had a Kenmore appliance dealer come out to evaluate it. Unfortunately, we had unplugged the appliance and were not told prior to make sure it was plugged in. They couldn't test to their fullest potential being it was not plugged in for several hours. They did comment that they have seen more and more Kenmore appliances 3-5 years old that have a line inside that is plugged. To get to it, would cost approx. $600-800. Any comment, would be appreciated. Model: 795.72034.111

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check Craigslist in your area for a refrigerator repairman.

My refrigerator is not cooling and freezing. All I heard was a clicking sound. This morning there was water on the floor. I then unplugged it, but no help. The freezer is all filled with water and the refrigerator is not cool. The water has stopped coming from the fridge, but still it's all messy.

Please help, the model no. is 2537988832990.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can contact Kenmore directly by phone for help in identifying the problem:

Retail Customer Care

1-800-549-4505

A tech from Sears changed the board in my 4 year old French door Kenmore fridge with bottom freezer. Three hours after installing it, I still don't feel the air flowing. The fridge is running, but no change yet. Is it is too early to say or I should feel a temperature change already or what?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The Sears tech replaced the board so contact Sears to answer your questions.

I have a Kenmore refrigerator model # 106.56642500. It is not cooling at all, you can hear when it turns on, but it does not get cool at all. I left it on all night and still it did not cool.

By Juan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Amazing! Just unplugged for a few seconds and when I plugged it back in, the refrigerator section started running. Will see how long it lasts. Waiting for Spring until the new Samsung T9000 counter depth arrives on the market. Hopefully this will work till then even if I occasionally have to pull it out to reset. Thanks!

Read More Answers...

The power to this house was turn off for about 6 months and now the refrigerator and freezer are not working. They were working when the power was shut off.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have found that sometimes things don't work properly if they are shut off for long periods of time. Goodness knows why that is, but that seems to be the case. My renter refused to use the dishwasher in our mobile home, and when she moved out, the thing wouldn't work any more. However, it seems strange to me that both appliances don't work. Could it be the outlets rather than the appliances? Is there some sort of shut off -- breaker or electrical switch that could be shut off? Do the outlets work for something else, like a lamp? Is there some sort of on/off switch in the appliances that you may have forgotten to turn on or a thermostat that you need to turn up (or down, depending on your point of view). For example, in my fridge there is a temp control from 0 to 9; if it is set at 0, the fridge doesn't actually cool down. Explore some of these possibilities, and if nothing works, I'd phone a repairperson.

I got this fridge second hand and the lights inside came on, the digital read out was operational, no codes. I replaced the compressor relay and then the fans and compressor came on. There was still no cold. I replaced defrost timer; still no cold air. I inspected the mainboard for any signs of burnt or obvious signs of a blow out; all looked ok. I do not know what to do next. We can't afford a new fridge nor a repair man.

By Dwight

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My husband fixed our fridge three times by typing in make/model # and the problem into google and youtube. There was tons of information and how-to videos! Good luck.

Read More Answers...

My Kenmore model 253 refrigerator is not cooling at all. However the freezer is working fine.

By L.J.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Our super dooper, hoity toity french door, bottom freezer unit did the same thing...(our old fridge has been running for almost 40 years). We were told to turn it off for about 6 hours (don't open if you can help it) and then back on. We have done this twice now. It works. Then read where if you keep turning up the 'cold' setting it freezes something up inside. So I keep it right in the middle temp and have had no problems for quite a while now. Nothing is like it used to be in quality now-a-days! Good luck!

I was having problems with my freezer pouring water into the refrigerator so I opened it up and it was froze up. I noticed the drain hole was frozen over so I unplugged it and let it set for 24 hours to melt. When I plugged it back up the next day the freezer was freezing, but the refrigerator was not cooling. I have cleaned it well and checked the fans and they are running. What do I do next? Can anyone help?

By Angelia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Make sure that you have the temperature controls set at exactly 1/2 way point. Too high on one or the other, causes the freezer to work very hard and the fridge not to cool as well as it should. I found out that when ours quit working and after calling a repairman, spending $$$ he was the one who told me the problem and how to fix it. Too many people want one or the other a lot colder than it needs to be and they end up replacing it because it doesn't "work" when all it needed was the controls put back the way they should be.

Read More Answers...

The fridge on fridge/freezer is not cooling. The freezer is working fine.

By Roy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try unplugging it from the wall for about ten seconds and plugging it back in. This happens to me all the time. But on mine the freezer stops as well.

I have a Kenmore fridge with the bottom freezer. It has been working just fine. Today I noticed that things in the refrigerator/top are not as cold as the have been every other time I have opened the fridge. Things in the freezer are still frozen and don't seem to be thawing at all. Any ideas on things I can do myself before calling out a professional?

By April J.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your fridge has dual temperature controls. The top should be around 41-45 degrees. Perhaps it got bumped? Check it first. It's like calling a tow truck to find your car just wasn't in park.

Read More Answers...

The fan motor died in my previous fridge, so while I am fixing it I am borrowing a full size Kenmore stand up fridge/freezer from a friend who had it sitting in his garage. We brought it to my house on Saturday, and were worried it might not be good from sitting. But, we plugged it in, and it started getting cooler. We put my food in it, and it was cold Saturday night when I went to bed.

I got home from work on Sunday, and it actually feels warm inside now. All the meat I had in the freezer is now bad. It is running, and I checked the settings and both fridge and freezer are on coldest setting (that's where I set it when we moved it in, because I was hoping that would help it get cold faster). It almost seems like it's running non-stop. The friend who owns the fridge seems to think it's stuck in a defrost mode and can't get out of it. What should I do before all my food goes bad?

By Matt D.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

An appliance repairman told me that it is not good to set the thermostat on the coldest setting, since the coils can overwork, and collect ice. Start at mid-level; the frig/freezer will cool without ice-buildup. You might unplug the appliance for a few hours, then re-set at a lower temp.

Read More Answers...

I just moved from Georgia to Tennessee. Now my refrigerator will not cool, either side. The model number is #35350221000, 2000 year.

By Frankie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If the fridge was transported correctly (upright, not on its side), more than likely your nearly 15yo fridge is telling you it's time for a new fridge.

You can have it repaired but the part will fail again (most likely the compressor but could also be the temp regulator, those go too after about ten years) sooner rather than later.

Wish I could tell you something different but I've been there-done that and after wasting $300 (over 3 months) trying to keep the old wheezer going I finally had to give it up and buy a new fridge.

My Kenmore refrigerator and freezer is not getting cold; just blowing air. I cleaned and vacuumed the back panel, removed all the dust, as much as I can, including the fan, coils, and all the stuff in the back panel. I also cleaned the inside too. I made sure I'd leveled it front, back, and side.The fan is working, the damper is working, it's just blowing air. I need help to fix it. Thank you.

By August B.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am not sure about getting frigs repaired. There is likely something wrong with the coolant. I don't think this is a home handyperson sort of a fix. Call a repairperson or buy a new one (I bought a new one).

My refrigerator is not cooling and freezing. The motor stopped running and all I heard was a clicking sound. I cleaned the whole underneath and now the motor is running, but there is only cool air coming out and it is not freezing. This was 5 hours ago. Do I have to give it more time?

By Arlene

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I doubt it. I do not know if refrigerators are economical to repair. When mine quit running, I bought a new one. Usually they run forever.

My Kenmore bottom freezer and top fridge is not cooling. I hear a relay click on and then a buzzing noise for about 10 to 15 secs. It does this continually.

By Dan S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Could you be low on freon? My husband said that if the fridge is low on freon, it might not work.

The refrigerator is warm and the freezer is working fine. I have a bottom mount freezer, Kenmore model 596.69162990, that is 13 years old. The coils have been cleaned. The air vents in the refrigerator are not blocked. What next?

By Mary D

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had the same problem and despite the fridge freezer being frost free, it was completely clogged with ice inside. It took four days to defrost but now works fine. Engineer said even if frost free, you should defrost them completely every 6 months or so. Hope this helps!

I have a Kenmore side by side refrigerator and the cooling fan is not turning on. The water wasn't working, but I was able to defrost the valve located in the fridge behind the crisper. I tried unplugging it and vacuuming under and behind the fridge. Is there anything else I can do?

By James

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had the same problem after laying new tile. When the guys moved the fridge back, a tile lifted and was stuck under the fridge keeping the fan from moving. Mine actually got hot.

I have a Kenmore Hotspot Refrigerator side by side. The fridge is running, but then the freezer and frig get warm. What can I do to fix it myself?

By Juanita

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had a 'fridge do that to me (a GE) and I had a repairman in who said the thermostat was bad. It cost me $75USD in 2008 to replace.

The fridge ran for about another year and then started having the same problem again. I wasn't happy. The condenser kept cycling but the fridge got warmer. And warmer. And warmer.

I called the GE 800 phone number and talked to a living breathing repairman. The news wasn't good:

Apparently when a thermostat wears out the condenser should be replaced at the same time (wish the repairman had mentioned that little bit of info in '08!).

Considering the cost of replacing the condenser, it worked out to be a better decision to replace the old wheezer (it was about ten years old at the time) for a new more energy efficient model.

Load More
          Home and Garden Repair Appliances RefrigeratorFebruary 13, 2013
          Refrigerator
          LG Refrigerator Not Cooling
          Refrigerator
          Adjusting the Temperature in a Refrigerator
          Saving Money on a Refrigerator, A new side by side refrigerator and freezer in stainless steel.
          Saving Money on a Refrigerator
          View of the water line.
          Flushing a Refrigerator Water Line
          © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 27, 2016 at 7:42:09 AM on 10.0.0.224 in 706 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.