Kenmore Refrigerator Not Cooling

Category Refrigerator
When a refrigerator no longer cools it is time for immediate action, either calling a repair person or troubleshooting the problem for a home repair. This is a guide about a Kenmore refrigerator not cooling.

Refrigerator

When your fridge and freezer stop cooling it can quickly become an expensive fix. Not only is there the cost of repairs, but there may be food spoilage as well. This page looks at some causes and solutions for a Kenmore refrigerator and freezer not cooling.

I have a Kenmore refrigerator model # 106.56642500. It is not cooling at all, you can hear when it turns on, but it does not get cool at all. I left it on all night and still it did not cool.

By Juan

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Anonymous

Well that's not the answer.replaced thermostat.

My Kenmore refrigerator is not cooling/freezing. What could be causing this?

It really could be anything and, unless you were an appliance repairperson, I see no recourse other than hiring someone to check it for you.

there are many websites and videos that can instruct you how to diagnose and fix any appliance. If you have the time, tools, and patience, you could actually manage to fix it yourself. http://www.appl  -cold-enough.php

"Start out with the easy stuff first...make sure the lights go out when you close the door(s), make sure the doors are closing properly and the gaskets are closing fully and not torn. Check to make sure the evaporator fan in the freezer is working, this fan blows the cold air around. If the fan is not working, possible bad fan motor - check for power to the fan motor and also check the fan switches around the door openings, ( if your fridge has these switches, not all do )."

Our Kenmore refrigerator with a bottom freezer is not cooling (either one). We began seeing water come from the bottom of it. We purchased it June 2012 and had a Kenmore appliance dealer come out to evaluate it. Unfortunately, we had unplugged the appliance and were not told prior to make sure it was plugged in. They couldn't test to their fullest potential being it was not plugged in for several hours. They did comment that they have seen more and more Kenmore appliances 3-5 years old that have a line inside that is plugged. To get to it, would cost approx. $600-800. Any comment, would be appreciated. Model: 795.72034.111

Check Craigslist in your area for a refrigerator repairman.

The fridge on fridge/freezer is not cooling. The freezer is working fine.

By Roy

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Try unplugging it from the wall for about ten seconds and plugging it back in. This happens to me all the time. But on mine the freezer stops as well.

My Kenmore model 253 refrigerator is not cooling at all. However the freezer is working fine.

By L.J.

Our super dooper, hoity toity french door, bottom freezer unit did the same thing...(our old fridge has been running for almost 40 years). We were told to turn it off for about 6 hours (don't open if you can help it) and then back on. We have done this twice now. It works. Then read where if you keep turning up the 'cold' setting it freezes something up inside. So I keep it right in the middle temp and have had no problems for quite a while now. Nothing is like it used to be in quality now-a-days! Good luck!

My refrigerator is not cooling and freezing. All I heard was a clicking sound. This morning there was water on the floor. I then unplugged it, but no help. The freezer is all filled with water and the refrigerator is not cool. The water has stopped coming from the fridge, but still it's all messy.

Please help, the model no. is 2537988832990.

You can contact Kenmore directly by phone for help in identifying the problem:

Retail Customer Care

1-800-549-4505

A tech from Sears changed the board in my 4 year old French door Kenmore fridge with bottom freezer. Three hours after installing it, I still don't feel the air flowing. The fridge is running, but no change yet. Is it is too early to say or I should feel a temperature change already or what?

The Sears tech replaced the board so contact Sears to answer your questions.

I got this fridge second hand and the lights inside came on, the digital read out was operational, no codes. I replaced the compressor relay and then the fans and compressor came on. There was still no cold. I replaced defrost timer; still no cold air. I inspected the mainboard for any signs of burnt or obvious signs of a blow out; all looked ok. I do not know what to do next. We can't afford a new fridge nor a repair man.

By Dwight

Older types of refrigerators need to have top ups of gas (sorry I don't know what type) in the compressor tank. Could you try filling it up?

The power to this house was turn off for about 6 months and now the refrigerator and freezer are not working. They were working when the power was shut off.

I have found that sometimes things don't work properly if they are shut off for long periods of time. Goodness knows why that is, but that seems to be the case. My renter refused to use the dishwasher in our mobile home, and when she moved out, the thing wouldn't work any more. However, it seems strange to me that both appliances don't work. Could it be the outlets rather than the appliances? Is there some sort of shut off -- breaker or electrical switch that could be shut off? Do the outlets work for something else, like a lamp? Is there some sort of on/off switch in the appliances that you may have forgotten to turn on or a thermostat that you need to turn up (or down, depending on your point of view). For example, in my fridge there is a temp control from 0 to 9; if it is set at 0, the fridge doesn't actually cool down. Explore some of these possibilities, and if nothing works, I'd phone a repairperson.

I have a Kenmore fridge with the bottom freezer. It has been working just fine. Today I noticed that things in the refrigerator/top are not as cold as the have been every other time I have opened the fridge. Things in the freezer are still frozen and don't seem to be thawing at all. Any ideas on things I can do myself before calling out a professional?

By April J.

Your fridge has dual temperature controls. The top should be around 41-45 degrees. Perhaps it got bumped? Check it first. It's like calling a tow truck to find your car just wasn't in park.

I was having problems with my freezer pouring water into the refrigerator so I opened it up and it was froze up. I noticed the drain hole was frozen over so I unplugged it and let it set for 24 hours to melt. When I plugged it back up the next day the freezer was freezing, but the refrigerator was not cooling. I have cleaned it well and checked the fans and they are running. What do I do next? Can anyone help?

By Angelia

It depends on how old your refrigerator is. My 14year old fridge had the same problem and it was an easy fix by a repairman. apparently the older types have two compressors at the back.

The "fridge" compressor had got low on the "gas"(or whatever it is that's in the compressor) needed for it to work but the "freezer" compressor was fine. the guy just topped up the compressor and it works fine. and it wasn't expensive to fix, just took a few minutes. just make sure that you have a trustworthy repairman who is honest.

The fan motor died in my previous fridge, so while I am fixing it I am borrowing a full size Kenmore stand up fridge/freezer from a friend who had it sitting in his garage. We brought it to my house on Saturday, and were worried it might not be good from sitting. But, we plugged it in, and it started getting cooler. We put my food in it, and it was cold Saturday night when I went to bed.

I got home from work on Sunday, and it actually feels warm inside now. All the meat I had in the freezer is now bad. It is running, and I checked the settings and both fridge and freezer are on coldest setting (that's where I set it when we moved it in, because I was hoping that would help it get cold faster). It almost seems like it's running non-stop. The friend who owns the fridge seems to think it's stuck in a defrost mode and can't get out of it. What should I do before all my food goes bad?

By Matt D.

Years ago you could rent a freezer unit in a warehouse. I don't know if you still can, but probably. People rented them after hunting and fishing trips when they had a lot of meat to freeze. Otherwise, surely a couple of neighbors could let you have a little room in their freezers and refrigerators temporarily.

My refrigerator is not cooling and freezing. The motor stopped running and all I heard was a clicking sound. I cleaned the whole underneath and now the motor is running, but there is only cool air coming out and it is not freezing. This was 5 hours ago. Do I have to give it more time?

By Arlene

I doubt it. I do not know if refrigerators are economical to repair. When mine quit running, I bought a new one. Usually they run forever.

My Kenmore bottom freezer and top fridge is not cooling. I hear a relay click on and then a buzzing noise for about 10 to 15 secs. It does this continually.

By Dan S.

Could you be low on freon? My husband said that if the fridge is low on freon, it might not work.

It is a side by side that is about 13 years old. The freezer works fine. It was over full so I took everything out, cleaned inside and out, cleaned the coils and around the compressor. It has been pretty much sitting empty for at least 12 hours and the temperature is hanging at about 40 degrees. I have settings 1-6 on the fridge. I had previously turned it up to 4 1/2 when it was full. I read that you should leave it mid way on the factory suggested settings so it will work better. I unplugged it for a few minutes and turned it down. I'm going to leave it where it is overnight and see what it is at in the morning.

Other than the things I have already done, are there any other diy suggestions on things I can try? Before I call a repairman or buy a new fridge.

The refrigerator is warm and the freezer is working fine. I have a bottom mount freezer, Kenmore model 596.69162990, that is 13 years old. The coils have been cleaned. The air vents in the refrigerator are not blocked. What next?

By Mary D

I had the same problem and despite the fridge freezer being frost free, it was completely clogged with ice inside. It took four days to defrost but now works fine. Engineer said even if frost free, you should defrost them completely every 6 months or so. Hope this helps!

I have a Kenmore side by side refrigerator and the cooling fan is not turning on. The water wasn't working, but I was able to defrost the valve located in the fridge behind the crisper. I tried unplugging it and vacuuming under and behind the fridge. Is there anything else I can do?

By James

I had the same problem after laying new tile. When the guys moved the fridge back, a tile lifted and was stuck under the fridge keeping the fan from moving. Mine actually got hot.

What controls the evaporator fan inside the freezer and evaporator fan condenser? Is it the door switch?

By Albert

I have a Kenmore Hotspot Refrigerator side by side. The fridge is running, but then the freezer and frig get warm. What can I do to fix it myself?

By Juanita

I had a 'fridge do that to me (a GE) and I had a repairman in who said the thermostat was bad. It cost me $75USD in 2008 to replace.

The fridge ran for about another year and then started having the same problem again. I wasn't happy. The condenser kept cycling but the fridge got warmer. And warmer. And warmer.

I called the GE 800 phone number and talked to a living breathing repairman. The news wasn't good:

Apparently when a thermostat wears out the condenser should be replaced at the same time (wish the repairman had mentioned that little bit of info in '08!).

Considering the cost of replacing the condenser, it worked out to be a better decision to replace the old wheezer (it was about ten years old at the time) for a new more energy efficient model.

I have a Kenmore top freezer refrigerator unit. The power is on, however my refrigerator is not getting cold.

By Ricky

I have a Kenmore side by side model #795.5881. It quit working completely.

By Frank

I have a Kenmore refrigerator with bottom freezer, model #59666032600. The freezer works, compressor works, and the compressor fan works, but the refrigerator does not get cold.
The air regulator gate in the refrigerator opens and closes okay.
Is there another fan that sucks air out of the fridge compartment that might have failed?

By Mike D

I have a Kenmore side by side refrigerator. The power to the fan motor goes on and off.

By James

Load More