Kitchen Paint Color Advice

I need some help with what color to paint my kitchen walls and what to put on the floor. I have honey pine kitchen cabinets, tans and dark brown Formica countertop, antique brass knobs on cabinets and light fixtures. My curtains are a see thru tan.

I want to go with all neutral colors for accents including greens, peaches, coral, etc. I have a really light beige (eggshell) color for walls thru rest of house, and I don't know whether to put tan on walls in kitchen or go with some color of soft green. Any suggestions?

Also my kitchen is very small and I am tossing between wood floors or vinyl squares with some color. My first thought is too much wood, with cabinets, table, hutch and thought maybe vinyl would break it up. Would love to get your suggestions on wall color and flooring. Thanks everyone :)

By Barb L. from PA

With the colors that you listed for cabinets, countertops and backsplash any color will work, as they are neutrals.

Consider a peach paint for the walls, and a brown/tan/peach print vinyl for the floor. If you decide to go with the wood floor, condider coral rugs and paint.

I have a bright yellow paint on my walls, and I white-washed my cabinets. I am having the hardest time with the color of the flooring. I have decided to go with vinyl squares in a checkerboard pattern. I cannot decide whether to go with a bright, sagey green and cream, or a classic black and white, or go gray with some alternating color. Help! Please and thank you.

By Rachael

Answer Was this helpful? 1

In my humble opinion, Do not go with black and white checkerboard. You will tire of it very quickly, and besides that pattern was very popular 5-7 years ago, but outdated now. I love the idea of the sage green. Just a suggestion.

I would stick with a neutral color for the flooring. I would not use a checkerboard pattern. Try to use a shade similar to the floors in the rooms nearby the kitchen to make your house appear larger. It should look like all one floor and not choppy rooms.

My living and dining rooms are oak so for me, I'd choose a neutral in the golden brown palette, for example. For yours, you might want to think of a light brown or grey in marblized tiles.

I need advice on what color to paint my kitchen. I have a small kitchen with one window facing NW which gets afternoon light. The countertops are a dappled greyish/charcoal, the cupboards are your typical stain, and the appliances are black. My dining room opens to it and is yellow. At the other entry is my living room which is red.

Currently the kitchen is light blue, I feel like I am in a hospital. It is cold and not friendly. I hate it. I do not know what to do. I was ready to revert to white and my daughter said it would look like McDonalds. Please help. Thank you.

By Colleen

Yellow would brighten up the room since you only have afternoon sun. White curtains would work well, or white with a small green or yellow flower. Darker colors make the room look smaller, so stay away from these.

You could go with the same yellow as in the dining room, or perhaps a warm cream color. Since you are feeling "cold" in that room, you want something from the warm side of the color wheel. Green -- the yellow green shades-- is a warmer color as well. Light taupe might also work. Do any of those colors appeal to you?