Make Ahead Mashed Potato Recipes

A dish of mashed potatoes.
Mashed potatoes can easily be made ahead of time to make meal planning and dinner preparation easier. This guide contains make ahead mashed potatoes recipes.

This can be made the night before and my family that "hates" instant mashed potatoes, love these and never complain they aren't fresh.

Directions:

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 13x9 inch baking dish with non-stick spray. Heat water, oil, butter, garlic and onion salt to a boil in a 6 quart dutch oven or saucepan. Remove from heat. Add cream cheese and sour cream, stir until cream cheese is dissolved. Add milk.

Stir in potato flakes, mixing until all ingredients are well combined. Spread into prepared pan.

Sprinkle with paprika and bake 1 hour or until bubbling around the edges and golden brown. Top with bacon and parsley if desired.

TIP: Before adding paprika and baking, potato mixture can be covered and stored in refrigerator up to 48 hours. Sprinkle with paprika and bake as directed.

Servings: 20
Time:20 Minutes Preparation Time
60 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: www.poweroffamilymeals.com

By brwnis65 from Hernando, MS

I do not believe in using "prepackaged food". Too many chemicals. Just make your own mashed potatoes with some of the items added.

Prepare this easy and tasty side dish in advance to go with many main courses.

Ingredients

Directions

Cook potatoes; mash until no lumps. Add rest of ingredients except butter or margarine. Mix again and let cool. Put into greased casserole. Dot with butter or margarine. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes. Can be prepared ahead and refrigerated. Makes 12 servings.

By Robin from Washington, IA

My neighbor whips her potatoes and adds cream cheese. There awesome! Gary dominicus

Is there a way I can prepare mashed potatoes the day before Thanksgiving?

By Donna from Bartlesville, OK

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Yes, absolutely. I make my mashed potatoes ahead and put them in the refrigerator. Thanksgiving morning, I put them in my crock pot and let them warm up slowly. You can also microwave them to warm them up before you need to serve them. You might need to add a little extra milk while they are warming up.

Best Answer

Make them ahead of time. Put them in a casserole dish the day of, sprinkle cheese and bread crumbs on top and cook at 350 for 20 to 30 minutes till hot and cheese is melty.

When I have too many potatoes I make a large batch of mashed potatoes and put them in meal size freezer bags. When you thaw them you need to stir them a little. They keep a long time. So make your potatoes ahead, put them in the freezer or in the refrigerator for a few days. Just heat them.

You can freeze mash potatoes, good luck.

I'm trying it for the first time this year.

5 lbs. potatoes

l stick butter (room temperature)

1 8-oz. cream cheese (not low-fat) (room temperature)

8 oz. sour cream (not low-fat) (room teperature)

Salt and pepper

cook potatoes, mash and add ingredients. Take out of fridge a couple of hours before serving, and then microwave, stirring occasionally.

Ingredients

• 8-10 potatoes (mashed)
  • 1 pkg. cream cheese
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • Garlic salt to taste (optional)
  • 2 tsp. dried chives (optional)

Directions

Beat until fluffy. Use a 9x13 inch pan (glass if you freeze it). Top with butter, paprika or parsley to grated cheese. Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees F.

By Robin

Ingredients

• 7-8 potatoes (peeled and boiled until tender)

Drain and mash. Add:

• 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1/4 cup cream
  • 2/3 cup light sour cream
  • 3 oz. cream cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 Tbsp. chives

Directions:

Continue beating until light and fluffy. Put into a well greased 9x13 inch pan or casserole. Sprinkle with cheese and bake in 325 degrees F oven for 15-20 minutes.

By Robin

Making mashed potatoes at the last minute in order to keep them hot is very tricky while your juggling everything else for Thanksgiving. I make them a day or two before. I just make them as usual, sometimes adding sour cream and garlic salt. Put them in a casserole dish and refrigerate.

Then on Thanksgiving, I pull them out and let set to room temperature and microwave to warm them up at the last minute. No one knows they were done early.

By Candace from Annapolis, MD

Answers:

Make Mashed Potatoes Ahead

I also read recently that you can make them ahead the same day and keep warm in the crock pot on low to free up stove space for other things. (11/21/2004)

By Tawnda

Make Mashed Potatoes Ahead

Whenever you make mashed potatoes for a meal, double or triple the amount. After dinner, divide the leftovers into meal size servings, and put them in quart size Ziploc bags. Press them into the corners of the bag and flatten them, pressing out as much air as possible. Lay them on a cookie sheet to freeze. Stack several together in a large Ziploc bag and store in the freezer.

To use them, just take a bag from the freezer and let it thaw. Put the thawed potatoes in a bowl and microwave until hot. Stirring with a fork will fluff them up and nobody, but you will know they aren't freshly made. If you want gravy, thicken a can of chicken or beef broth with cornstarch. This is flavorful, but lowfat.

Harlean from Arkansas
(11/11/2005)

By Harlean from AR

Make Mashed Potatoes Ahead

Hi, Great Idea, but a Warning!

A few years ago I was shocked to find out that potatoes, pasta, rice and cooked beans (dried) could cause food poisoning. The article stated that you have to treat them as you would a meat to avoid growth of bacteria. In other words, keep refrigerated unless eating in the same time frame as meat.
Probably leaving them in the frig until heating them up would keep them safe.

I couldn't find the original article, but here is one that might explain the bug in question.

iastate.edu/foodsafety The original article explained that many picnic food poisonings might be due to these foods being neglected.
Love the idea of fixing it ahead, though.

(10/25/2009)

By italianswede