Browsing: Making a Diaper Cake

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Making a Diaper Cake

A wonderful centerpiece for any baby shower can be created with diapers. This guide is about making a diaper cake.

Baby Shower Diaper Cake
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 20, 2010 Flag

Baby Shower Diaper CakeTired of seeing the same old diaper theme baby shower cakes? I have been making them for a while now and have been wanting to get more creative with them. The perfect opportunity came when I found out I was going to be a grandma again :)

I decided I would try to make this cake really girly so I went with a princess theme. I made the standard diaper cake to begin with, then decorated it with 4 receiving blankets, a tiara, a princess wand with korker bows attached to it, a plastic silver bracelet, which I hot glued some teardrop pearls to, a pair of shoes with korker bows attached, the green "fluff" around the bottom is a tutu for the baby. I used lime green, pink, and brown ribbons (which look awesome together). The Cinderella carriage I printed out using my Hallmark program to personalize it with the baby's name and year of birth. I used a pink feather boa to top each layer and added 2 lime green butterflies. I am very pleased with the results and just wanted to share the idea.

By Tammy from Herrin, IL

February 23, 2010 Flag

Baby Shower Diaper CakeRoll each diaper individually and secure with a rubber band. Most diapers have a pattern at the top of the diaper, if you don't want this to show, start rolling from the pattern end, finishing with the white on the outside.

Once all diapers are rolled, start building the cake tiers. Place a dowel in the middle of a rolled diaper, and place on the cake cardboard. Place a large rubber band around the center roll, add additional rolled diapers, forming a circle around the center diaper. If the cake is a two tier cake, add one more rubber band and an additional layer of diapers. Repeat this process one more time more for a three tier cake.

Decorate the cake by adding the embellishments. To keep them in place, tuck them into the diaper folds or beneath the ribbon. Add a bouquet of flowers or a stuffed animal to the top of the diaper cake and you have a wonderful gift for the mommy to be.

This is a great way to make extra money and the diaper cakes are fun to make.

By Tammy from Herrin, IL

May 11, 2009 Flag

Love Bug Diaper CakeThis is my second diaper cake, a "Love Bug" cake. I made it for a friend at work. I used; 56 rolled up diapers, receiving blankets, baby rattles and such, washcloths, a love bug to top it off and lots of curling ribbon for color. She loves it.

I made my very first one for my first grandchild's shower. it was such a big hit, I decided to sell them. This was my first order. I have already got 3 others to do. They really sell themselves. I get laid off sometimes quite a bit so this a is a perfect way for me to make extra money on the side.

By Tmmy from Herrin

January 11, 2008 Flag

How to Make a Diaper CakeDiaper Cakes are all the rage as a baby shower gift. Here are instruction on how to make one for half the cost of buying one.

Approximate Time: 1 to 2 hours

Supplies

Instructions:

The number of diapers used for each tier will depend on a couple of things, like how big you want your first tier to be. I used a vintage cake stand so I made my first tier so it would fit on the cake stand and you could still see the paper doily underneath. I ended up using about 25 diapers for the first layer. The brand of diaper you use will also make a difference in the number of diapers needed because each brand of diaper has a different a thickness.

Step 1: Roll the diapers up starting at the waistband and secure with a small rubber band placed in the center of your roll. I started rolling at the waistband because this is usually where the manufacturer has added some cutesy design. I wanted my cake layers to be completely white without any color showing. You can incorporate the decoration into the cake design if you want but I found that most diaper companies use the color blue and we already knew that the baby was to be a girl. I wanted the cake to be entirely pink and white. Secure the rolled diaper with a small rubber band.

Step 2: Using your cake stand or cake disk as a guide, stand the diapers up on end on the cake stand until you form a rough circle that is about the correct size tier that will fit on your base. I used about 25 diapers for my first layer. Now using a large rubber band, secure all the diapers into a circle, being sure that your rubber band is in the center of your tier all the way around. If your circle seems unstable, force another diaper into the middle so your first tier is tightly secured within the rubber band. Look at it from all angles to make sure your circle is as rounded as possible.

Step 3: Do the same for the next two tiers using the previous one as a guide. Each layer should be smaller then the first so when placed on top of each other, they look exactly like a three tiered cake. This is where using your cake stand or cake disk comes in handy in helping you to judge how your layers will look before you permanently attach them together. Before permanently attaching your layers with double sided tape stack them and make sure your happy with the way the cake layers sit on top of each other.

Step 4: Place your biggest paper doily on your cake stand or disk. Take the double sided tape and using about five or six pieces of tape make a starburst pattern in the center of the doily. Making sure the tape is just in the center of the doily. Set the first cake layer down in the center of the doily. Pushing firmly so the tape sticks to the doily and diapers. If you find that your layer is not centered simply remove the cake layer. You may have to use a new doily if the tape rips the thin paper. Do the same for the second layer, trimming the doily if it is too large. Attach a small doily to the top layer using the same method as above. Trim the doily if needed. This is were your cake topper will be attached. Step back and look at your cake and make any adjustments needed. You want to get the layers together correctly before you start attaching the decorations.

Step 5: Measure your 7/8 inch ribbon by winding it around each layer, adding an extra inch and cut three pieces, one for each layer. Attach the correct size ribbon to each layer using the double sided tape. Use about a 1 1/2 inch piece of tape attached to the back of the outer piece of ribbon overlapping the end of the ribbon. Press firmly so the double sided tape adheres to both pieces of ribbon. Make sure the ribbon hides the rubber band that is holding your layer of diapers together.

Attaching the gifts: For each item I attached to the cake, I tied a small ribbon bow on. It really worked well for the items made out of fabric like the washcloths and baby socks. The bows are a decorative element and added a pleasing look to the finished cake. This is purely my taste and if you don't like it, you can skip this step. Each gift item is attached with double sided tape. I tried using other adhesives but I wanted each gift to be usable and found the double sided tape worked perfectly. Glue did not work because it damaged the outside of the gift and the disposable diapers, making them unusable.

Step 6: Roll a piece of double sided tape on to itself and stick two or three pieces on the back side of each plastic diaper rattle, making sure none of the tape is visible, stick the gift item firmly on to the diapers in the area where you want it attached. Attach four of the plastic diaper pin rattles to the largest cake layer and two on each smaller layer. Try to get the diaper pins attached evenly around the circle of the cake layer. You can move them and reposition them if needed. Do the same for the rest of the gift items, making sure as you attach them they are arranged in a pleasing manner. Try to get a balance with the gifts. You may find that after attaching an item it just doesn't look right; it may be too large or small and need to be moved to an upper or lower layer depending on its size to achieve a balance to the eye. Smaller items on the top layer and bigger items on the lower layer will achieve a balanced look. Step back from your decorated cake and walk around it to see if any adjustments need to be made.

Ribbon Flower Buds: Using the low temp glue gun and glue sticks arrange the flower buds along the edges of the paper doilies.

Cake Topper: Using the double sided tape cover the bottom of your cake topper and firmly attach to the doily on the top tier.

Stand back and look at your work of art. It is beautiful isn't it? Your gift will be the talk of the baby shower. Diaper Cake

By Arlene M from S.W Florida

September 13, 2011 Flag

Try making a diaper cake for a baby shower. These darling diaper cakes make quite a beautiful site as a centerpiece for a baby shower. They are unique in that you can use almost every item bundled in this cake.

Very tall diaper cake with a white teddy bear on top.

April 16, 2007 Flag

One of my best friends is expecting a little girl next month. We are throwing a surprise shower lunch for her at work and I thought that a "onesie cake" would be adorable for the table.

variation on diaper cake

July 23, 2005 Flag

This is a photo of a Diaper Cake my niece recieved at her baby shower. It was made from pampers and stacked two layers high. Tiny ribbon weaved through it held it together and small "necessities" were tucked around the layers.

Diaper Cake2

February 28, 2012 Flag

84 Blues Clues diapers were used for this cake, with small clear rubber bands and an empty paper towel tube filled with 3 diapers.

Blues Clues Diaper Cake with lace and ribbons.

November 4, 2008 Flag

How do you make a "diaper cake" out of disposable diapers? I am hosting a baby shower and would like to make one if it is not too complicated. Thanks in advance.

Barbara from Kingsport, TN

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Search youtube for directions and use your own imagination. It will turn out great!

Here's some more for you to look at Barbara. I hope you'll find the one you need.

This site has a nice pic.

http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do?projectID=1253

If you look at this site it also shows 2 pics.

http://crafterscommunity.com/forum/craft-gallery/20222-diaper-cake.html

This site has a nice tutorial & pics.

http://www.hgtv.com/dc-floral-arran ... s/baby-shower-centerpiece/index.html

This one uses cloth diapers but I'm sure you could substitute disposable diapers.

http://www.angelfire.com/id/megnkatesplace/cake.html

I hope these help you some.

Hugs, Paula

December 5, 2007 Flag

I wanted to share the diaper cake that I made for my sister's baby shower. It makes a great decoration as well as gift!

Diaper Cake

March 22, 2010 Flag

Baby showers, what fun. This is the diaper cake I made. Rosebuds and baby carriages was the theme. Silk rosebuds used on the diaper cake, decorated wire baby carriage, and wooden letters. Also silk roses placed around the punch bowl. It was a beautiful shower.

July 21, 2008 Flag

Do you know how to make the original 3 tier cake where you wrap Styrofoam with baby blankets and pin baby items onto each layer decorating the cake. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Load More
Crafts Baby ItemsAugust 7, 2012
A beach towel wedding cake.
Making a Towel Wedding Cake
Nightmare Before Christmas Diaper Cake
Making a Nightmare Before Christmas Diaper Cake
Women looking at a baby shower gift
Homemade Baby Shower Gifts
Diaper Pail
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Diaper Pail
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 23, 2016 at 11:42:55 PM on 10.0.0.70 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.