Making a Diaper Cake

A wonderful centerpiece for any baby shower can be created with diapers. This guide is about making a diaper cake.

November 2, 2013 Flag

This is a guide about making a Nightmare Before Christmas diaper cake. For a new mom-to-be, who is also a fan of the Tim Burton movie, a Nightmare Before Christmas themed diaper cake is an outstanding gift.

Making a Nightmare Before Christmas Diaper Cake

July 20, 2010 Flag

Tired of seeing the same old diaper theme baby shower cakes? I have been making them for a while now and have been wanting to get more creative with them. The perfect opportunity came when I found out I was going to be a grandma again :)

I decided I would try to make this cake really girly so I went with a princess theme. I made the standard diaper cake to begin with, then decorated it with 4 receiving blankets, a tiara, a princess wand with korker bows attached to it, a plastic silver bracelet, which I hot glued some teardrop pearls to, a pair of shoes with korker bows attached, the green "fluff" around the bottom is a tutu for the baby. I used lime green, pink, and brown ribbons (which look awesome together). The Cinderella carriage I printed out using my Hallmark program to personalize it with the baby's name and year of birth. I used a pink feather boa to top each layer and added 2 lime green butterflies. I am very pleased with the results and just wanted to share the idea.

By Tammy from Herrin, IL

Tammy,

I know this is a long shot and I may not get a response but, I live in Illinois and am willing to pay you to make me one of these cakes. I am giving my BFF a baby shower next month; Nov 2010 and it has the same princess theme. I am also will to travel to pick it up. Please email me thicknata@hotmail.com

Thanks!

February 23, 2010 Flag

Roll each diaper individually and secure with a rubber band. Most diapers have a pattern at the top of the diaper, if you don't want this to show, start rolling from the pattern end, finishing with the white on the outside.

Once all diapers are rolled, start building the cake tiers. Place a dowel in the middle of a rolled diaper, and place on the cake cardboard. Place a large rubber band around the center roll, add additional rolled diapers, forming a circle around the center diaper. If the cake is a two tier cake, add one more rubber band and an additional layer of diapers. Repeat this process one more time more for a three tier cake.

Decorate the cake by adding the embellishments. To keep them in place, tuck them into the diaper folds or beneath the ribbon. Add a bouquet of flowers or a stuffed animal to the top of the diaper cake and you have a wonderful gift for the mommy to be.

This is a great way to make extra money and the diaper cakes are fun to make.

By Tammy from Herrin, IL

I love these. I make them also. What's fun is everyone is different. I like to add a little book attached on the back.

May 11, 2009 Flag

This is my second diaper cake, a "Love Bug" cake. I made it for a friend at work. I used; 56 rolled up diapers, receiving blankets, baby rattles and such, washcloths, a love bug to top it off and lots of curling ribbon for color. She loves it.

I made my very first one for my first grandchild's shower. it was such a big hit, I decided to sell them. This was my first order. I have already got 3 others to do. They really sell themselves. I get laid off sometimes quite a bit so this a is a perfect way for me to make extra money on the side.

By Tmmy from Herrin

Love it. Is there any way to show how you do the first step and a few others for us impaired crafters?

January 11, 2008 Flag

Diaper Cakes are all the rage as a baby shower gift. Here are instruction on how to make one for half the cost of buying one.

Approximate Time: 1 to 2 hours

Supplies

Instructions:

The number of diapers used for each tier will depend on a couple of things, like how big you want your first tier to be. I used a vintage cake stand so I made my first tier so it would fit on the cake stand and you could still see the paper doily underneath. I ended up using about 25 diapers for the first layer. The brand of diaper you use will also make a difference in the number of diapers needed because each brand of diaper has a different a thickness.

Step 1: Roll the diapers up starting at the waistband and secure with a small rubber band placed in the center of your roll. I started rolling at the waistband because this is usually where the manufacturer has added some cutesy design. I wanted my cake layers to be completely white without any color showing. You can incorporate the decoration into the cake design if you want but I found that most diaper companies use the color blue and we already knew that the baby was to be a girl. I wanted the cake to be entirely pink and white. Secure the rolled diaper with a small rubber band.

Step 2: Using your cake stand or cake disk as a guide, stand the diapers up on end on the cake stand until you form a rough circle that is about the correct size tier that will fit on your base. I used about 25 diapers for my first layer. Now using a large rubber band, secure all the diapers into a circle, being sure that your rubber band is in the center of your tier all the way around. If your circle seems unstable, force another diaper into the middle so your first tier is tightly secured within the rubber band. Look at it from all angles to make sure your circle is as rounded as possible.

Step 3: Do the same for the next two tiers using the previous one as a guide. Each layer should be smaller then the first so when placed on top of each other, they look exactly like a three tiered cake. This is where using your cake stand or cake disk comes in handy in helping you to judge how your layers will look before you permanently attach them together. Before permanently attaching your layers with double sided tape stack them and make sure your happy with the way the cake layers sit on top of each other.

Step 4: Place your biggest paper doily on your cake stand or disk. Take the double sided tape and using about five or six pieces of tape make a starburst pattern in the center of the doily. Making sure the tape is just in the center of the doily. Set the first cake layer down in the center of the doily. Pushing firmly so the tape sticks to the doily and diapers. If you find that your layer is not centered simply remove the cake layer. You may have to use a new doily if the tape rips the thin paper. Do the same for the second layer, trimming the doily if it is too large. Attach a small doily to the top layer using the same method as above. Trim the doily if needed. This is were your cake topper will be attached. Step back and look at your cake and make any adjustments needed. You want to get the layers together correctly before you start attaching the decorations.

Step 5: Measure your 7/8 inch ribbon by winding it around each layer, adding an extra inch and cut three pieces, one for each layer. Attach the correct size ribbon to each layer using the double sided tape. Use about a 1 1/2 inch piece of tape attached to the back of the outer piece of ribbon overlapping the end of the ribbon. Press firmly so the double sided tape adheres to both pieces of ribbon. Make sure the ribbon hides the rubber band that is holding your layer of diapers together.

Attaching the gifts: For each item I attached to the cake, I tied a small ribbon bow on. It really worked well for the items made out of fabric like the washcloths and baby socks. The bows are a decorative element and added a pleasing look to the finished cake. This is purely my taste and if you don't like it, you can skip this step. Each gift item is attached with double sided tape. I tried using other adhesives but I wanted each gift to be usable and found the double sided tape worked perfectly. Glue did not work because it damaged the outside of the gift and the disposable diapers, making them unusable.

Step 6: Roll a piece of double sided tape on to itself and stick two or three pieces on the back side of each plastic diaper rattle, making sure none of the tape is visible, stick the gift item firmly on to the diapers in the area where you want it attached. Attach four of the plastic diaper pin rattles to the largest cake layer and two on each smaller layer. Try to get the diaper pins attached evenly around the circle of the cake layer. You can move them and reposition them if needed. Do the same for the rest of the gift items, making sure as you attach them they are arranged in a pleasing manner. Try to get a balance with the gifts. You may find that after attaching an item it just doesn't look right; it may be too large or small and need to be moved to an upper or lower layer depending on its size to achieve a balance to the eye. Smaller items on the top layer and bigger items on the lower layer will achieve a balanced look. Step back from your decorated cake and walk around it to see if any adjustments need to be made.

Ribbon Flower Buds: Using the low temp glue gun and glue sticks arrange the flower buds along the edges of the paper doilies.

Cake Topper: Using the double sided tape cover the bottom of your cake topper and firmly attach to the doily on the top tier.

Stand back and look at your work of art. It is beautiful isn't it? Your gift will be the talk of the baby shower.

By Arlene M from S.W Florida

Adorable! Here is one I made for my friend's baby shower. I had pacifiers made with the baby's name printed on them. She loved it!

September 13, 2011 Flag

Try making a diaper cake for a baby shower. These darling diaper cakes make quite a beautiful site as a centerpiece for a baby shower. They are unique in that you can use almost every item bundled in this cake.

Very tall diaper cake with a white teddy bear on top.

April 16, 2007 Flag

One of my best friends is expecting a little girl next month. We are throwing a surprise shower lunch for her at work and I thought that a "onesie cake" would be adorable for the table.

variation on diaper cake

July 23, 2005 Flag

This is a photo of a Diaper Cake my niece recieved at her baby shower. It was made from pampers and stacked two layers high. Tiny ribbon weaved through it held it together and small "necessities" were tucked around the layers.

Diaper Cake2

February 28, 2012 Flag

84 Blues Clues diapers were used for this cake, with small clear rubber bands and an empty paper towel tube filled with 3 diapers.

Blues Clues Diaper Cake with lace and ribbons.

November 4, 2008 Flag

How do you make a "diaper cake" out of disposable diapers? I am hosting a baby shower and would like to make one if it is not too complicated. Thanks in advance.

Barbara from Kingsport, TN

Best Answer

DIAPER CAKE : Open up a diaper and roll it from the design (front of the diaper) to the other end. Roll the diaper up real tight as it makes the cake look the best. Put a rubber band around the diaper in the middle. Repeat for the rest of the diapers, that you will be using for the diaper cake.

BOTTOM LAYER: Takes about 36 diapers. You will have 3 rings of diapers, if you want a "large" cake. Otherwise if you want a smaller cake, than do 2 rings. First ring will take about 6 diapers. Place diapers in a circle standing them on end around a 2 oz. sample size baby magic baby product or a 4 oz, baby bottle.

Put a large rubber band around this layer. Second ring will take about 12 diapers. Put the diapers around the first ring of diapers and place a large rubber band around this ring to hold diapers in place. Third ring will take about 18 diapers. Put diapers around the second ring of diapers and put a large rubber band around this ring also.

MIDDLE LAYER: Takes about 18 diapers. Repeat as above, except just make two rings of diapers. If you choose to do a 2 layer cake, put an 8 oz. bottle in the middle of the first ring. Otherwise if you do a 3 layer cake, then place a 2 oz. baby magic product or 4 oz. baby bottle in the middle.

TOP LAYER: Takes about 6 diapers for 1 ring. Place an 8 oz. bottle in the middle. Or forget the bottle in the middle and add an extra diaper and top off with a small stuffed animal or toy. Don't forget to put a large rubber band around each ring. Finish off with placing a half inch wide ribbon around each layer to hide the rubber bands on the outer rings of diapers. Place the smaller layers on top of the larger one.

You can tuck little baby things in between each diaper. Place the taller things (like bottle brushes, baby brushes, spoons) on the outer edge of the layer so that it does not interfere with placing the smaller layer on top. You can wrap a receiving blanket around the middle layer of diapers. Fold the blanket the same height as the diapers and fasten the ends together with diaper pins.

Have fun, be creative. Put in a clear plastic garbage bag. Attach a poem: "Here is a cake made with love, though I wouldn't call it yummy. For the ingredients that were used go on a baby's bottom, not in a tummy. Flour, sugar, milk, and eggs will make a cake so sweet, but diapers, blankets, and baby socks will make a handy treat."

Here are some other poems:

Here's a special gift I made just for you. I didn't have to sew or even use glue. It's filled with lots of things you see, but most of all with love from me!

Here's a cake for your special day,

Because the stork is on her way.

It's filled with lots of things for you,

On the outside, and inside, too.

Place them in your diaper bag,

So all the necessities you will have.

For the big day soon will come,

When you can show off your little one!

written by ~ Laura Kaye ~

Baby Cakes are so much fun,

they're sure to delight a new mom.

Filled with things from A to Z,

So many things a baby needs.

Diapers, toys, powders, and pins,

Wonderful times will soon begin!

written by ~ Laura Kaye ~

Here's a special gift I made just for you.

I didn't have to sew or even use glue,

It's filled with lots of things you see,

But most of all with love from me!

written by ~ Laura Kaye ~

6 Cloth Diapers, you can wash every day

6 More Diapers, you can throw away

Fold in 1 bib, in case baby should dribble

Add in 4 socks, to cover toes as they wiggle

Fold in 1 shirt (onsie), to keep in the heat

Bind with 4 pins, to keep the cake neat

written by ~ Tami Enos ~

Take 2 cloth diapers, you can wash every day

Add 6 disposable diapers, you can throw away

Fold in 2 blankets, to keep baby cozy

Add in 4 socks, to cover their toesies

Add in 1 shirt, to keep in the heat

Fold in 1 bib, to make cake complete

Then bind with 4 pins, to keep the cake neat

written by ~ Tami Enos ~

You will need:

14 - medium size diapers (depending on what size you want you may use more or less diapers)

1 - baby bottle

1 each - travel size lotion, powders, bath, shampoo, diaper rash

1 - small bib

1 - receiving blanket

1 - book

1 - brush and comb set

1 - set of baby fingernail clippers

1 - travel size Q-tips

1 - teether

1 - rattle

1 - cellophane bag (optional)

curly ribbon (optional)

rubber bands

lace and tape or ribbon

Take a diaper and open it and wrap it around the bottom of the baby bottle. Secure with rubber band. Take three more diapers and follow the same procedure. Pull the baby bottle up enough so there is room to place half of the bottle of powders inside, under the bottle. Lay aside.

Take another diaper and open it and wrap it around the bottom half of the bottle of baby powders. Secure with rubber band. Do the same with the remaining diapers. Now place the top of the bottle of powders inside the diapers with the baby bottle. Wrap a receiving blanket around the bottom and secure with rubber band. Place the brush and comb set behind the baby bottle, secure with rubber band. Place the book at the back on top of the bottom section and secure with rubber band. Tie the bib around the baby bottle so that it hangs in the front.

Place the rest of the items all around the cake to fill in the gaps. Place ribbon around the cake to hide rubber bands and tie or use lace and tape in the back. Print above poem and attach to cake. Place the cake inside a cellophane bag and tie with curly ribbon.

*You can use any items you would like.

*Add more or less.

*Use washcloths to make small ones called "cupcakes".

*Use disposable or cloth diapers.

*As you wrap the diapers around, hide small items inside the cake.

You can make it as simple or as fancy as you like. The one I made I decorated with flowers and butterflies, little baby girl shoes and candy flower lollypops. It was delightful and a HUGE hit at my daughter's baby shower. Good luck!

Best Answer

December 5, 2007 Flag

I wanted to share the diaper cake that I made for my sister's baby shower. It makes a great decoration as well as gift!

Diaper Cake

Load More
Crafts Baby ItemsAugust 7, 2012
A beach towel wedding cake.
Making a Towel Wedding Cake
Nightmare Before Christmas Diaper Cake
Women looking at a baby shower gift
Homemade Baby Shower Gifts
Diaper Pail
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Diaper Pail
🎉
🎄