No-Car Day

I have summers off, as I am a teacher. During the school year, I use my car every day during the workweek, and on the weekends to do chores or visit friends. This summer, I decided to do an experiment. I decided to see what would happen if I didn't use my car one day a week. I have discovered that this is a really good idea for many reasons. If I decide to stay home:

1. I can catch up on domestic chores such as cleaning, sewing/mending and organizing. I also spend a lot of time in my garden.

2. I have the time to go through all the recipes I've clipped and either discard them or try them out.

3. I can e-mail or phone friends I want to catch up with.

4. I've rediscovered the many exercise DVDs I have and get a good workout at home.

5. I can get a head start on lesson plans for the coming school year.

6. I can read a great book (I joined the summer book club at the library.)

7. I can relax and enjoy nature in my backyard.
Of course, just because I'm not using the car doesn't mean I have to stay home. I have found that places I always thought were too long to walk to really aren't. I've walked almost 4 miles to the supermarket and back home for a few things. It took less than 1/2 hour each way. While walking instead of driving, I noticed flowers, trees, and storefronts that I missed otherwise.

Before I tried this experiment, I used to get really bummed out if my car was in the shop for servicing. Now I know that there are a lot of options if a car is not available. I also feel good because I'm helping the environment and saving resources.

Awesome! That's very inspiring! Good for you!

Yours is a great idea. I find it very satisfying to be home. All my friends go crazy when they can't get out and run (drive around) every day, sometimes several times a day. I don't understand that thinking. What's wrong with being home? When I worked I went there in the morning and did any errands on the way home, and that was the extent of my running around. In this polluted world---including too many cars on the road---minimizing driving is important as I see it. Kudos to you for your efforts!

I bet you saved gas, too.

I am retired, so I push it even further. I see how long I can stay home without putting the car on the road. By keeping stocked up, owning a freezer, and using what I have, I can stay at home a long time.

I'm also retired but I don't think staying home every day is good. Living alone can be lonely and stressful. I talk to a friend and my Brother every day but I still need to get out. I can do only so much reading, crafts and cleaning, otherwise I'll go nuts.

Young Woman Checking Her List at the Supermarket
Avoiding Extra Trips
Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeSeptember 15, 2016
Wedding Favor Ideas for a Valentine's Day Wedding, White and red boxes for Valentine's Day wedding favors.
Valentine's Day Wedding Favor Ideas
A photo of a girl making paper hearts.
Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids
Valentine's Day Tips for Men, Man giving a heart shaped chocolate box and roses.
Valentine's Day Tips for Men
May Day Flowers
Celebrating May Day
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 20, 2017 at 6:24:04 AM on 10.0.2.145 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.