Previously House Trained Dog Has Started Peeing in House

I have a 3 year old dog that was house broken for a year and a half. Then after my boyfriend was killed in an accident he has started peeing on everything. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

By cat from WV

I am so sorry for the death of your boyfriend and my thoughts and prayers are with you. Was your dog close to your boyfriend? If so, the abnormal behavior may be the dog's own way of grieving via protesting. If the dog was closer to your boyfriend than he/she is with you, the dog may also be imaging he/she is now the "alpha" and marking new territory. If that's the case you just need keep gently reminding the dog that you are now the pack leader and not the dog.

I would make an appointment with your vet concerning the problem. If there is no physical reason for your dog's change of behavior, it is probably an emotional response to missing your boyfriend. Just give the doggie as much love and attention as you can and let him/her know you are now the "alpha" and will take care of and lead the dog.

Again, I'm so sad for your loss. You and dog take care of each other.

By KansasCindy

Previously house trained dog.
Previously House Trained Dog Peeing Indoors
Previously House Broken Dog Has Started Pooping in the House
House Trained Dog Pooping Inside
dog laying on a white couch
Dog Peeing Inside When Lying Down
Litter Box
Cat Peeing Outside Litter Box
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside