Recipes Using Acorn Squash

Category Vegetables
Using Acorn Squash
There are many delicious ways to use this nutritious fall vegetable in casseroles, soups, pies and filled with stuffing. This is a guide about recipes using acorn squash.

This gluten free soup is sweet, hot and spicy. It is great served with a sandwich or a meal. If you can't handle hot, cut back on the quantity of spices in the recipe.

Total Time: Approximately 45 minutes to prepare.

Yield: It makes 3 cups of soup

• 1 cooked acorn squash
  • 1 14.5 oz Swanson chicken broth
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 1 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ginger
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1. Wash and cut squash in half, lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds. Cut squash in 4 pieces. Place in saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and boil gently for 15 minutes or so until squash is tender. Use a fork to test for tenderness.
  2. Remove from heat, drain and cool slightly. Use a spoon to scrape out the flesh. Discard the skin.
  3. While the squash is cooking, mix the remainder of ingredients. Add squash to this and pour it into a blender and blend until smooth.
  4. Pour back into saucepan and heat.
  5. Serve hot.

Acorn squash is seasonal from September to December. This recipe is simple and economical. It would make a perfect appetizer served with a cheese and cracker platter for Thanksgiving!

• 1 acorn squash
  • butter
  • brown sugar
  • olive or canola oil

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wash and dry the acorn squash, then cut in half, remove seeds and stringy core. Cut into thick slices.

Put aluminum foil on baking sheet and spread a little oil on it. Spread slices of squash on foil, butter one side then sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove and turn over slices. Butter and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 20 minutes and remove from oven and serve on platter

Servings: 6 to 8
Prep Time: 10 to 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes

Source: This recipe is from Martha Stewart

By Patricia M. from Maple Falls, WA

This is a guide about roasting squash seeds. Squash seeds are in general edible, and can be yummy snack when roasted.

Close up of roasted squash seeds

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Ingredients

• 4 small acorn squash, about 1 lb. each, halved and seeded
  • 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 1/3 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
  • 2 large seedless oranges
  • 1 Tbsp. grated orange peel

Directions

Heat oven to 375 degrees F and grease jellyroll pan. Rub cut sides of squash, including cavities, with 1 Tbsp. butter. Sprinkle cavities with cinnamon and pepper. Place squash, cut-sides down, in prepared jellyroll pan; bake 30-35 minutes or until tender.

While squash bakes, in 2 qt. saucepan over medium heat, melt remaining 1 Tbsp. butter. Add onion; cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened. Stir in brown sugar until melted. Add cranberries and cloves. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until cranberries are softened and flavors are blended.

Meanwhile, using sharp knife, remove peel and white pith from oranges; cut flesh into 1 inch chunks. Stir orange chunks and grated peel into cranberry mixture, cook 2-3 minutes longer.

Remove squash from oven; spoon about 1/2 cup cranberry-orange mixture into each cavity. Return squash to oven, and bake 10 minutes longer. Makes 8 servings.

By Robin from Washington, IA

At the last Farmers Market for the year, I bought an acorn squash and a spaghetti squash. Now what do I do with them? I have never cooked squash before and I am 70.

By Linda

I love it so much,its very easy to cook. Wash, cut in half.face open side down in like a cake pan.cover or wrap in foil put in a preheated oven of 350' for about 20minutes. Take it out and let it continue to steam (when you wash it off make sure you leave it moist) when it is at the temp. that you can comfortably handle it ,just take a spoon (I use ice cream scoop) dish it out. Perfect, every time, it looks and tastes like spaghetti! It is so full of protein, vitamins, antioxidants not found in regular spaghetti.Instead of eating a bowl of carbs you have a " good for you" dish,that tastes great.

You will be able to tell when its done,it scoops out really easily. If your oven runs low just put in 400' keep an eye on it. If you want you can add the same toppings you would to pasta, however, I love it just the way it comes out in my bowl. Please let me know how it turns out!

Put the acorn squash in the oven after cutting it in half and cleaning the seeds out. When the squash is soft (about an hour in the oven or ten minutes in the microwave) add butter and sugar to it. Lovely. I do not know about the other squash as I have never cooked one. Check the acorn squash as you cook it because they are different sizes.

Spaghetti Squash: Cut squash along length and remove seeds. To Bake: Place cut side down and cook at 350F for 45 minutes turning over for the last 10 minutes. To Microwave: Cover with clear wrap. Cook 7-10 minutes in ¼ cup water. Pull out vegetable strands with fork. Add salt and pepper, spices, bacon bits, Parmesan, white sauce, or spaghetti sauce.

I've got quite a few additional recipes if you are interested.

The spagetti squash can be used as --spagetti--. Cut the squash across the middle, not from top to bottom, as I recall, as this keeps the strands longer. If it is fairly large, cut across lower, then higher, not just across the middle. Scrape the seeds out, place the pieces of squash either in a flat pan, with a small amount of water, cover and bake until the squash is soft, but I usually bake them in the microwave, takes less time, for sure. After the squash is soft, easy to separate the fibers, you will find that you have spagetti like strands. Pull them all out, place in a container, keep warm, and use with any sauce you choose. We have done marinara as well as the Alfredo sauces, but it is also delicious done with a light coating of basil pesto, and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese. We like that because we make our own. I will be 73 this mo. and I think we are never too old to try new foods, or learn new things. God put us here to learn and grow. Hope this has helped. Loretta from Alabama

I like to cook my spaghetti squash, whole, in the microwave. Make sure you poke it all over with a meat fork, or it will explode!