Recipes Using Canned Salmon

Anyone have recipes for making tasty fish-balls or a fish meal from canned (not fresh) salmon?

YT in London

Recipes Using Canned Salmon

My mother makes the most amazing and delicious salmon patties on the planet! She uses canned sockeye, one or two eggs (depending on the size of the can: 2 for a 15 ounce can,) thoroughly chopped parsley and scallions (I love onions, so I probably go overboard,) lemon juice and bread crumbs. She recently started using Japanese bread-crumbs called Panko bread-crumbs, and they are available at Whole Foods Markets, and probably at Asian food stores. I used regular bread crumbs until she sent these Japanese ones to me. Mix everything together and form into patties. Fry in ordinary vegetable oil until they are just barely browned. To finish cooking them, place on cookie sheet and cook in preheated low oven (maybe 300 degrees for a few minutes -- until done. Use toothpick to check.) They are quick, easy and delicious! Use fresh parsley; it makes a huge difference! Bon apetit! (03/18/2005)

By skbeal

Salmon Patties

• 2 (15 oz) cans Pink salmon
  • 1 onion finely chopped
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 8 saltine crackers, crushed
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 stalk celery
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1/8 cup canola oil
In medium mixing bowl combine salmon, onion, egg, crackers salt, pepper, and celery. Mix well. Make patties out of salmon and roll in cornmeal. In large frying pan over medium high heat oil for frying. Place salmon patties in oil and fry on both sides until golden brown. Drain well. Serve warm

These are delicious I make them for my family all the time and they love them. (03/18/2005)

By Adele

Salmon Loaf

• 16 oz. can salmon
  • 1 c. milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 T. onions, chopped
  • 1 c. cracker crumbs
  • 2 tsp. lemon juice
  • 1 tsp. dill (opt)
  • Salt and pepper
Flake salmon. Beat eggs and milk together. Combine all ingredients. Place in greased loaf pan and bake 1 hour at 350. (03/18/2005)

By klawrence34

Salmon Cakes

I love making these salmon cakes, I even use the jack mackerel sometimes. But, guess what? I hate the smell of fish in the house. Even tho' i pretty much follow the above suggested recipes, I always put on a pot of homemade potpourri while the fish is cooking to keep out that fishy smell. Use a small pot, add cinnamon, vanilla flavoring, ginger, cut an orange in half, and add some cloves in the water, and just let it simmer. Your house will smell like it's thanksgiving or christmas. And no fishy smell. I even taught my son how to do a fried fish with grits breakfast. Showed him how to do the potpourri while frying the fish. He said it was like taking " home Ec". The only difference, when I was taking Home Ec... They sure didn't teach us that trick. Oh, and when I'm feeling too lazy to stand over the stove and fry the salmon cakes, nothing beats baking them in the oven. Nothing! (03/18/2005)

Recipes Using Canned Salmon

Al la king -- de-bone and skin canned salmon. Heat in skillet with 2 tablespoons margarine or oil until heated through. Add 1 cup low-fat or skim milk mixed with 1 tablespoon cornstarch and bring liquid to a boil. After one minute, reduce to simmer. Add 2 cups cooked peas or peas & carrots. Salt and pepper to taste. (I add a teaspoon of dill -- optional.)

Serve over toast or rice. Makes 3-4 servings. (03/21/2005)

By gannon

Fish Pie

I invent a lot of meals containing tinned salmon as I love it. One I make a lot is a type of fish pie. There are no proportions as I just throw in what I feel like.

Make a savory sauce with butter, flour, (I use stone-ground whole-meal), and milk and season with vegetable spice powder rather than salt, and ground pepper. Toss in the salmon, I don't bother removing the skin, (very tasty), or bones, (good source of calcium). You can add herbs to taste if you want. Add some sautéed veggies - onions, peas and corn are good, or zucchini, (courgette), cucumber, red capsicums, snow peas, (mange tout) - whatever you fancy.

Place in a deepish dish or it may bubble over when cooking. Top with creamed mashed potato. Make up some sage and onion stuffing with water - but mix it on the dry side - and sprinkle a layer on top. I substitute stuffing mix for bread-crumbs in a lot of recipes - very tasty. The meal is basically already cooked but pop it in a hot oven for 15 minutes to brown/crisp on top.

You can also just use the salmon and veg mixture over noodles, rice or cous cous. I cook for one and make 2 or 3 dishes up at a time then separate them into individual portions and freeze for quick microwave meals. (04/04/2005)

By Jo Bodey

Salmon Patties

My salmon patties are so lazy... equal parts fish (any kind) and spuds. Bind with an egg. Salt and pepper to taste and some flavorings. A little sweet chili sauce and coriander is nice. Or even use parsley. I just throw in different things each time. You can crumb them as well but they are nice plain. I always have them with a nice big green salad. (04/20/2005)

By Sonya_82

Salmon Pie

I like salmon patties, but when I moved to the UP I learned a new recipe. Salmon Pie: Just take a pie shell or make your own pie crust. First you need to boil some potatoes till they are soft. Drain the potatoes then mash them just a little not all the way so there is some pieces, add some onion, salt and pepper, and some drained canned salmon. Mix it together put it in the pie shell put pie crust on the top with some slits in it so the heat can escape. Bake till the pie crust is done. We eat it with catsup on it. It's good and it stretches one can of salmon and the potatoes makes 2 pies... and it's very filling. (03/03/2007)

By crystal

Canned Salmon
Recipes Using Canned Salmon
Smoked Salmon on Toast
Smoked Salmon Recipes
Salmon Casserole
Salmon Casserole Recipes
Salmon Patty on a Plate
Salmon Patty Recipes
Grilled Salmon Recipes
Grilled Salmon Recipes