Remedies for Acid Reflux

Many people suffer the pain caused by acid reflux. This is a guide about remedies for acid reflux.

September 8, 2015 Flag

This does not work for everyone, but it worked for my son-in-law and I. We both had acid reflux. I had read something in a book about licorice oil being an aid. I went to the store and tried to find licorice oil with no luck. (I found later you can order it through a drug store.) Since I couldn't find it, I got to thinking that licorice tastes and is substituted with anise. I went looking for anise oil but couldn't find any. I finally went to the grocery store in the seasonings aisle. I found anise extract.

It was fairly inexpensive so I bought a bottle. I took it home and followed the other instructions I remembered. "Taking it carefully, start with a small amount (up to two TEASPOONS, not tablespoons). I took up to two teaspoons the first time and had relief. I had to repeat a couple months later but haven't had any backup since.

My son-in-law tried it and one dose fixed his problem. My daughter tried it but got the instructions mixed up and took two tablespoons. She has not had much relief. Proving once again that too much of a good thing isn't good.

I shared this with my counselor, who tried it. She shared with her clients. They were cured too. I didn't hear of any failures from her.

Source: I think the book was a Pioneer Cookbook I had purchased somewhere in my lifetime.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've cured my acid reflux by eating Indian Food. Curry, Turmeric, Cinnamon, Ginger, etc. I found I love curried chicken and make large batches of it and freeze separate portions to be eaten later.

One warning about Anise - if you take a high blood pressure medication it may cancel the effect of your pill. Better ask your doctor if it's safe to use Anise.

October 26, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about homemade antacid recipe. Heartburn and acid reflux can be very uncomfortable and it helps to have a convenient remedy.

A spoon of baking soda for use as an antacid

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 17, 2010 Flag

I was diagnosed with silent-GERD and vocal cord nodules by my ENT doc. The gerd has caused acid burns around the vocal cords. He gave me a medication to control the reflux and to heal the burn, but it will take 2 months to work. If you have silent GERD how do you know when the reflux meds have or are working? Any insight would be appreciated.

By Paul from Palm Springs, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

http://www.aboutgerd.org/site/about-gerd/treatment/

This website, About Gerd.org should give you more information than you ever want to know. This site says there is no cure for gerd and that it requires lifelong treatment. My husband, son, sister, almost everyone I know who is 60 or older has it. My husband has been treated for it for over 20 years.

Here are a few tips that might help. If you can help it, don't bend from the waiste, stoop instead. Losing weight often helps the symptoms. Tomatoes and tomato products can make symptoms worse. Some say Aloe Vera juice helps the throat when you have silent gerd. Avoid caffeine and alcohol. Don't wear anything tight around your waist. It is good to prop up your head at night, but those wedges aren't good enough because they cause your body to bend in the wrong place. When you sleep, you should prop up in such a way that you are bending from the hips. I don't know a thing about a book called "The Maker's Diet" but I do know that on the web, many people with gerd say they followed what the book said to eat and no longer have a problem with gerd.

If you go to different blogs where they are discussing gerd, you can get more tips.

Best Answer

I guess it is pretty common for people to have gerd. I was diagnosed with it a couple years ago but had no heartburn. All at once, I was having a hard time swallowing my food. I was put on meds and now have no problem swallowing. What I DO have a problem with is phlegm in my throat. Sometimes, I can hardly talk. it is so bad. They tell me it is a symptom of gerd and I may have to learn to live with it.

Best Answer

A natural remedy for GERD is apple cider vinegar, especially if you use a brand called Braggs, which you can find in most stores along with the regular vinegar. Here is a website that explains how Apple Cider Vinegar works in healing GERD, and also gives you recipes for drinking the vinegar:

http://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benefits.com/vinegar-and-acid-reflux.html

May 23, 2013 Flag

I am looking fro a natural remedy for acid reflux. I have it so bad that I can't eat anything without being in pain and sick.

By Gina

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think you should go to a doctor. I have had bad heartburn, and found that there are many choices of remedies that the doctor can prescribe. Prior to that I was using Tums or a generic brand of the product multiple times a day.

It took a while but I relieved my acid reflux after giving up soda. Also I use antacid products when needed.

I had horrible AR before I started seeing my chiropractor. He discovered a misaligned bone in my spine was compressing the nerves that connect to the stomach. The result was overproduction of stomach acid. Since getting adjusted, that has stopped. No drugs or surgery involved!

BAKING SODA! 1/4 teaspoon in about a 1/2 ounce of water (adjust to your needs).

INSTANT Relief! You will burp & then feel joyous! (avoid caffeine (tea, chocolate,coffee) & acidic foods like anything w/ tomato to lower recurrance).

BAKING SODA WORKS INSTANTLY; then avoid those trigger foods. (also...lose weight if overweight).

Read More Answers...

June 3, 2013 Flag

I was starting to get irritation and acid reflux, so I quit drinking my coffee and red wine, and started to take acid blockers (which you should only take for a couple of weeks to let the irritation heal up.) In the meantime, I compensated for my coffee intake by drinking 1/2 a dose of 5 Hour Energy (or other energy drink) and drank light beer. In the beginning, I even drank the light beer OVER ICE to further dilute it. I also drank a LOT of water.

This way, I avoided irritation to let my throat heal up and stopped the acid reflux without having to deal with OTHER issues, such as caffeine deprivation or really missing my evening drink! Now my acid reflux is clearing up and I am off the acid blockers, but I will be careful and follow this plan until I feel totally healed.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Glad you found a solution, but a little baking soda (1/4-1/2 teaspoon) mixed w/ a splash of water works instantly to kill heartburn & acid reflux. Another dose may be needed after an hour if it recurs. My acid reflux only occurs when I'm overweight or overindulge in caffeine or tomato-based foods. (put a pinch of baking soda in your spaghetti sauce at the end of cooking to enjoy spaghetti reflux-&-heartburn free!===JUST a 'pinch!')!

July 21, 2009 Flag

My son gets acid reflux. What can he do to get rid of it? He is looking for a natural remedy instead of expensive medicine.

By jamish

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Had Acid Reflux and took Nexium. It worked BUT it was medicine so I stopped taking it. Went to an Amish store and got some Yoder's Good Health Recipe...all natural and contains Cider Vinegar and herbs. Been taking an ounce a day for 10 days and my Acid Reflux is just about gone. The guy at the store said he's down to one ounce every four days and his stays gone. Can't wait til I'm there. Everyone's body is different. This works for me so far.

Hi, I'd like to share my experience. I am:

- 31 years young male

- healthy

- eat a diet of 2 meals a day, being each about 80% veggies, 10% chicken or shrimp and 10% grains or bread.

- for breakfast I have a fruit smoothie with soy milk

Around 2 years ago I think I had a gird attack, massive heartburn and chest pain and ever since I've had almost daily a burning sensation right bellow the chest on my right side. Doctor said it was acid reflux, tried raniditine and then nexium. it was working fine, but I feel that these modern prescription drugs only mask the problem and not cure the root causes of it.

So I dropped nexium and started to try to get better results from my diet alone. Controlling just the diet had some effect but moderate. Then 2 days ago, on my girlfriend recommendation not related to my acid problem, I bought acidophilus (the refrigerated one, 5+ billion active) and when I started taking it. I was shocked that it seemed to have made a BIG difference on the reflux. I had never heard of acidophilus as a possible treatment for acid reflux and I googled "acid reflux" +acidophilus to see if there was any correlation between the 2 or if i was just going crazy and that's when i started reading that other had similar effects.

So, I am so excited (even though it's been only 2 days) that I thought I'd come here and share this with you all. It makes perfect sense now that I think about it, since acidophilus acts to establish proper and natural environment in the stomach. I believe that over time my situation will improve even more and I recommend trying it. Just make sure you get good-quality and refrigerated ones.

My goal is to establish good stomach environment to aid in all-around health, for the long term and not have to take any meds.

This article confirmed my gut feeling that acidophilus. was what was making me feel better and has additional suggestions and other supplements that may assist in curing this condition once and for all. I will try all that is suggested.

http://hsibaltimore.com/2002/12/23/curing-acid-reflux/

Good luck to everyone and I hope that we all find our way towards better health. Forums like this are a great tool for us, the real-people, with problem to share and discuss possible natural remedies that work for us and I would love to hear the opinions of those who try the acidophilus regiment.

As for me, I started taking 3 pills as soon as I wake up and 3 after dinner. I will do some variations on the times and see how it works. I am so excited to see a light in the end of this tunnel and I believe meds don't address the problem properly but I also don't believe that it should remain untreated. Acidophiles has been my savior.

Digestive enzymes. They are a life changer! You will notice immediate results if you get off the nexium, etc. Take 2 with every meal. They are awesome and all natural.

Mega-zymes by enzymatic (whole foods, grocery stores, vitamin stores), wholezymes ultra (whole foods), both are the same formula.

Every one that is saying that acid relux is only caused by too little stomach acid is not true. It can either be caused by too little or too much. Some people have too little while others have too much stomach acid. I saw a very good naturopathic Doctor who tested both my wife and myself. My wife had too little and I too much.

The key here is consuming the right diet for your metabolic type.

Read More Answers...

May 2, 2015 Flag

To relieve acid reflux at night, use adjustable bed risers at head of bed only and elevate accordingly. This beats having to pay for expensive wedge pillows that do not always help many GERD sufferers who find them uncomfortable or buying that special adjustable metal bed frame and you don't have to replace the present mattress or box springs. I paid $15.00 on amazon.com for the sturdy three adjustment bed risers and when you buy $35.00 worth of items, you get free shipping. Most importantly, the bed risers really help to put the whole head of bed at same height and your spouse is benefiting from it too.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 21, 2006 Flag

I am looking for some acid reflux remedies and advice. Any advice would be helpful including diet suggestions, exersizes that might help, foods to avoid as well as drugs that have worked for you. I know it's a common problem so I figured I would start a thread about it. My doctor prescribed Nexium.

Stan from Idaho

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

i told my doctor there was no way that i could live without my fresh salsa and other very spicy foods. one of the reasons is my sinus's are so bad i can't taste anything without the spice. he said he did not care but luckly the hispanic nurse heard me and when he left she told me about alovera juice that you can buy at any walmart or pharmacy. it is better cold but if you are having an attach just turn it up. i don't take any meds now and i dont even have to use the aloe that often anymore.

I guess I have had reflux for a long time but did not know it until recently when I am overloaded with stress and after 2 SIGMOI tests in one month. Since them my stomach really acts up. I have gas coming up to my mouth quite a few times in a day. I even burp as soon as I wake up in the morning. My throat is dry, though I do not cough. And I still have a lump in my throat.

My Dr prescribed famoditine and instructed me to avoid caffeine, tea, alcohol, etc. Also no food & drink (water included) 3 hrs before bed. Raise headboard 6 inches. It's been 12 days since I started to take famotidine. My throat is still dry, occasionally the lump is still there, though the frequency of burping is somewhat lessened.

Does anybody have the same symptoms as mine? How did you go about to lessen it without taking Famotidine or any prescribed med? What alternative meds do you use? I'd love to hear your advice or suggestion. I don't want to get throat cancer :( Thanks.

Hi everyone, I just want to give some tips on how to feel better when the acid attacks:

1. Put 1/2 tsp of baking soda in a cup of water drink every 2 hours.

2. Acidophilus promotes optimal intestinal health you can get it at walgreens or walmart.

3. Omega 3,6,9 oil capsules

4. Radinitine 1/2 hr before eating

5. Drink a lot of water, and eat 3 times a day 4 hrs a part with moderate portions.

You will feel better, good luck.

Hi everybody. I have been suffering from sore throats, no coughing though. I also get stinging eyes and nostrils and also earache sometimes! I was wondering if this could be acid reflux? I don't often feel heartburn, but I do suffer from belching after meals. Thanks in advance.

Read More Answers...

December 9, 2008 Flag

Has anyone heard of using apple cider being used for acid reflux?

Donnie from Portsmouth, VA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The theory here is that you take the vinegar to help your digestion - which should help the reflux - there is one theory that a LACK if acid can also cause trouble (and using antacids or such will just decrease the stomach acid).

Actually I tried that and it made it much worse. Be very careful!

Yes, I have. I am a technician in a pharmacy and one of my coworkers had the same problem of reflux. When she told us she'd read online that this worked and she was trying it, we all thought she was crazy. But she claimed it actually worked. She also was not supposed to drink alchol with drinking apple cider (she actually ate an apple instead) because I guess the alchol didn't work with it. Good luck.

First find out what is causing the acid reflux. Apple cider vinegar works great for some, but for others, like myself, it did not help. I have an extremely acidic stomach, and adding more made mine hurt so much. I broke out in an intense sweat, my stomach felt as if it were on fire, and it intensified my problem for a while even after I stopped taking it. Apparently, reflux can be caused by either too much or too little stomach acid, along with other reasons. Hope you find what works for you.

Read More Answers...

December 15, 2009 Flag

I am looking for recipes for people with acid reflux. They can't be high fat, acidic, have caffeine, or be spicy foods. I don't like taking medication for it, because that hid a problem that I needed emergency surgery for. I can tolerate dried onions, but not fresh or frozen. We eat a lot of beef, because that is all my husband likes. He is also diabetic. Thank you.

By Sandra

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Acid reflux comes from the sphincter between the esophagus & the stomach being too lax & popping open when it shouldn't. Believe it or not, it's not stomach acid coming back up to burn things. It's gastrin. Gastrin is so damaging. Only when there isn't enough stomach acid (hydrochloric acid, HCl), is there too much gastrin. Gastrin, histamine & HCl r what enables your stomach to digest your food. When there isn't enough HCl, the others get over produced to try to get your stomach to produce more HCl.

Not having enough HCl also reduces your ability to absorb minerals, which causes that sphincter to become lax & not to respond properly. It's all one big feedback mechanism, and by stopping this feedback, will slowly effect all parts of your body. Have you tried betaine hydrochloride? If your stomach is capable of producing more HCl; this will help. Mine was not, it took much stronger stuff to help, but I thought you might like to know this stuff. I suffered a long time, before I got the help I needed. HCl also keeps your stomach sterile, which stops bacteria from getting into your system.

Believe it or not, apples and apple cider vinegar have helped me, especially after meat. Just 2 slices apple and

1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, for couple of meals started straightening everything out.

Also, eating standing and walking short distance after dinner, and no tight clothes. Recent research says sitting after eating, and sitting a lot, causes all kinds of metabolic problems.

Small servings of whatever you eat, chewed very well helps [gets digestion juices working]. I'd eat simply for a while. Steamed veggies, baked or steamed potatoes, etc. Sugar and white flour always gives me heartburn after few days of being careless.

Load More
Health & Beauty Home RemediesMay 29, 2013
Home Remedies for Heartburn
Home Remedies for Heartburn
A car battery.
Cleaning Up Battery Acid
Cleaning a Leather Couch
Vomit on a Leather Couch
ground coffee
Using Coffee Grounds in the Garden
🎉
🎄