Remedies for Armpit Odor

Armpit odor is not only embarrassing, but may be difficult to get under control. This is a guide about remedies for armpit odor.

April 18, 2016 Flag

Well everyday I go to school by walking, but I sweat even before getting to school. Sometimes I feel like going back home and showering but it's too late.
Many people talk about me and they say I never shower. I don't understand even when I'm showering routinely it happens. Why do my armpits smell so bad when I'm playing, but others don't smell. What can I do? And why me only?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Do you have excessive perspiration? This can also be a problem, as well as smelliness. My son had this problem, and used a product called "Drysol" (I think that was the name -- I hope it was! We found the name by googling on the net, and then discussed this with our druggist, who had the product on the shelves.) This worked well for him. As well, he used Mitchem antiperspirant, as that was the most effective brand. I would also suggest wearing clothes made from cotton, as polyester shirts are more prone to smelliness than cotton ones. You could try these things first, as they are pretty low cost, and don't require a doctor's visit. However, if the perspiration is not excessive, Drysol is not for you; it is not for just odor.

Best Answer

Try this. Go to cvs or walgreens and buy hibiclens. Use it daily or even three times per week. I know it makes you super clean and it is what health professionals such as surgeons use before surgery.

Best Answer

It sound hormonal. You can balance your ph out with drinking raw apple cider vinegar with water and raw honey. Take some probiotics and wash with baking soda instead of soap. It cleanses better and balances your skin ph out. It may take about 2 weeks to change but it works. You can also put clove oil, just a drop, on your deoderant then put on. It kills bacteria. But only use a tiny drop its very hot. You can get pure clove oil from most stores for $6

Read More Answers...

January 9, 2009 Flag

Since my first child I've had the problem of arm pit odor. I'm thinking it has something to do with my hormone levels changing, but haven't had it checked yet. What have you tried, I've tried practically all the brands of deodorants including some men's brands, crystals, alcohol, and apple cider vinegar to no avail. irislynn777

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You need to consult with a dermatologist, there is a pill you can take that will solve your problem. In fact you can go a full day without deodorant or antiperspirant. I know this can be a very embarrassing moment and I feel you pain but I am sure a dermatologist can help.

Best Answer

I have been fighting underarm odor for the past 35+ years. Have tried every deodorant, crystal, powder, etc. on the market. I am also allergic to fragrance so until kinda recently I couldn't use deodorants without getting an awful rash. And when I was young, I was a professional ballroom dancer, so keeping fresh and sweet smelling was quite a challenge. Things I have learned are:

You need to scrub your underarms with a light scrubber using an antibiotic soap bar like Dial or Safeguard. This gets rid of most prior deodorant applications and bacteria and keeps your pores unclogged. Everyone's chemistry is different, so try different antibiotic soaps to find the best for you.

Then after you've towel dried, use rubbing alcohol thoroughly under your armpits. Repeat a couple times a day as necessary. I use flat round cotton pads soaked in a little container I can carry in my purse. This makes it easy to do a quickie touchup wipe anytime or anywhere.

If I know I am going to be working out or going dancing, I will use a product called Drysol or CertiDri(?). This must be applied at nite after you've showered and are lying down in bed. Apply lightly to underarms and keep arms raised until completely dry or it may sting and cause redness or a rash. This method should keep you dry all day. Its kinda a hassle but will keep you dry during workouts or stress.

Lastly, I wear breathable tops. No synthetics or silks. These fabrics retain the odor and get worse as the day goes on.

When this method is used most of the time, deodorants are then effective when you use them periodically.

Additionally, you can also spray a small amount of your perfume below your underarms on your blouse or top so when you lift your arms, only the smell of your perfume should waft up to your nose or others around you. I hope this work for you as it has worked for me.

Best Answer

Exfoliating arm pits with a natural loofah gets rid of dead skin. Sometimes the pH is off so use a baking soda (without aluminum) along with the loofah. Follow with an organic apple cider vinegar rinse.

Using alcohol directly in your pits does kill bacteria but the alcohol goes into your bloodstream and it also upsets the natural balance of bacteria. There's good bacteria and bad bacteria.

Always analyze your diet. Taking probiotics can help with an imbalance. Eating a diet that is mostly alkaline, as opposed to acidic really helps too. That means lots of green leafy vegetables. Drinking lots of water is important.

Proper elimination (bowl movements) is paramount. Stagnant food stinks inside and outside the body. Working out or yoga classes that make you sweat really helps to clean out the body. Saunas are great too.

Lastly, rubbing 1/2 a lime on the offending area and leaving it for 20 minutes is a great exfoliator. Do it day and night for best results.

Read More Answers...

February 26, 2014 Flag

My underarms always smell a little bit bad after showering, no matter what I've used. I've used so many different showering gels, cloths, and sponges. None work. The smell isn't terrible, but it's never fully clean. I'm also on quite a tight budget. :/ Please help.

By Terri M.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Armpit odor is caused by bacteria. Shower body wash, gels etc. may not work for everyone. Try this on a weekend. After your shower apply antibacteria ointment on your pits. May take two treatments. The Walmart house brand is good. The odor will vanish.

Best Answer

I had the same problem so solved the problem. I exfoliated underarms with a paste made of baking soda and cornmeal, no more odor. We have dead skin under armpits. It works, try it

Best Answer

I found out from the People's Pharmacy website that baby diaper cream works best. I have been using it about twice a week after my shower instead of ANY deodorant for about six months and it really works. I use Boudreaux's Butt Paste brand that has a slight balsam smell, but you can shop around.

Read More Answers...

June 25, 2013 Flag

Hand sanitizer worked like a charm for me when I developed a sudden, strong underarm odor that no amount of bathing, traditional remedy, nor deodorant would control. Four physicians dismissed the problem as normal, even though I'm a middle aged woman who has never had a body odor and have never had to use deodorant.

After many months of this embarrassing problem, I got the idea to try hand sanitizer. Not only did the sanitizer stop the odor immediately, after a week's use the odor has not returned. I'm assuming the cause was bacterial and that the sanitizer killed whatever bacteria was lurking there. At any rate, it's a cheap, safe solution to try.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

THIS REMEDY IS EXTREMELY EFFECTIVE! My friend had a very bad problem with armpit odor--even after showering. Never occurred to me that it could be a bacteria. He tried this remedy and by the second day, I could not believe the difference! By the third day, the odor was completely gone, even before he showered! I complete recommend this for those who have this same problem.

do you use deodorant afterwards ?

Read More Comments...

April 21, 2015 Flag

I have tried everything from lime to baking soda to milk of magnesia. I try to remove all the bacteria as much as possible with methylated spirit. I use a men's deodorant now and nothing seems to be working. I am a teenager. It is very embarrassing because I am a leader in many groups and a lot of people talk bad about me. Please help.

By Camun D

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You should take 1 chllorophyll tablet twice a day , Also wipe underarms with lemon juice[can use the stuff that comes in the bottle] - rinse and dry.then put deodorant on , You will still sweat but you won't have a bad odor , make sure you are not allergic to grass [chlorophyll] or green plants before you take the chlorophll , was with a good deodorant soap or a peppermint soap . . should help

Do not use any antibacterial or alcohol related that will kill the good bacterial at your armpit....it make it worse...

Try different type/brand of normal soap....every manufacturer have different pH of soap and you just need the correct one....not saying that it's has to be the soap problem....but using a right pH soap can minimise the problem....change your diet too.....change one by one to see which foods/ingredient is causing the problem

Try using women's deodorant and hand sanitizer

Read More Answers...

June 16, 2013 Flag

I am in college now, but still I can't cure my underarm problem. It's not the sweat, it's the smell. I've tried everything, but none of it worked. Some students was making fun of me and that's not really good. It's bringing down my confidence and I don't know what to do. I'm so hopeless for now, I feel so down. I don't wanna be the same girl anymore. I wanna express myself, but I can't because this thing keeps holding me back. I'm so tired of being teased. What should I do?

By Mikaela

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Hey so I struggled with the same issue all my life and am now in college. I actually have hyper hydrosis (not sure if I spelled that right) which is an over sweating of the palms but I swear I have the sweatiest pits and feet out there. I use apple cider vinegar on my arm pits after my morning shower, once a week. It kills the bacteria. When it comes to the confidence thing you just have to get a bit sassy! Your nerves about the smell will only make you sweat more. If someone is commenting about the smell I give you permission to say you have a disease called hyper hydrosis, and trust me once you say it's a disease or a disorder then they are the ones that look bad for making fun of you. Embrace the sweat and be confident, if someone has a problem with it then it's their problem not yours.

Listerine or a different kill bacteria mouthwash help me. Also helps if i put blow dryer on cool and make sure i am completely dry before I apply deodorant.

Milk of Magnesia is great, apple cider vinegar and baking soda. Always use a deodorant soap first. Then put on deodorant that does not have a fragrance to it after one of the above. I always alternate.

Personally milk of mag works the best.

Read More Answers...

February 8, 2016 Flag

I am a 15 year old and I have really bad body odor. I sweat a lot which does not help at all. It's usually when I sweat that the odor starts and people are reporting me to the health aid and making fun of me before class starts. It's really upsetting me so much that I never want to be in class because I am so embarrassed. It mainly only happens at school, when I get home the sweating stops and so does the body odor so I am really confused. I don't know what to do. I don't know how much more I can take the teasing. It hurts so much and I am always embarrassed to be around other people at school because I don't want to be made fun of. Someone please help me I don't know what to do.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try using Irish Spring soap and certain dri deodorant at night. In the morning you can use a regular deodorant to get you through the day hope that helps

I learned in my anatomy class in college that stress sweat is smellier than "regular" sweat. It seems to me that you might be super stressed throughly school and it's causing you to have major BO. Unfortunaltely I don't know any remedies I can suggest you try... I'm actually looking for something too lol

Hi there. Please make sure that you check your clothes too. sometimes, the odor sticks to your clothes and whenever you sweat, It starts to smell. Make sure to wash your clothes in antibacterial soap, or listerine. It works. I hope this helps you.

Read More Answers...

December 9, 2013 Flag

After reading all the tips and trying them out, none worked for me. However after I thought about the cause of the odor, which is bacteria, I realized I was going about it the wrong way.

I went out and bought a bottle of anti-bacterial soap. When pumped, and you only need to pump it once, it creates a foam. Take a bit in both palms and rub it in the armpit.

At the beginning, wash twice, rinse and dry and then take a little in each palm and apply to underarm. Let it dry a bit and then get dressed.
It took about 4 washes to get rid of the odor. I did this for a week and I was so happy. Now I wash my armpits twice a day (morning and bedtime) with the same antibacterial soap and only apply my regular anti-perspirant.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a great tip! I have also used antibacterial soap in a pinch, when I accidentally forgot to put on my antiperspirant/deodorant before church one day. I am a heavy sweater, and the smell was obvious. Thankfully I noticed before the service began. I went to the restroom (which did not have stalls but was a lockable single person bathroom), wondering what I could do, and ended up carefully washing my armpits with antibacterial soap. I dried them with paper towels and then just wiped on a thin layer of the soap foam and left it. Problem was solved! I still was sweating heavily (of course) but now it had no odor.

October 20, 2014 Flag

It's a bit long winded so please bare with me on this. I shower every morning before work around 6am. I always use deodorant and aftershave. For a good few hours or so I smell great and feel fresh.

The office where I work doesn't have air conditioning and I find that by mid morning (say 10am) I start to develop an underarm odor. It's not terrible, you can just about make out the smell of my shower gel, but it just smells a bit off.

I also wear white t-shirts underneath my work shirts really just to prevent any embarrassing sweat stains appearing on my shirts. I've wondered whether this off smell might be coming from the t-shirts which in turn affects the smell from under my arms.

It's started to make me paranoid at work as I have overheard people talking about me in the office. It makes me feel useless because I'm aware of the slightly off smell.

Is there anything I can do to stop this slightly off odor I develop whilst at work? Any help would be really appreciated.

By JakeP

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had underarm odor for many years. I was finally diagnosed with hyperhydrosis (excessive sweating) disorder. I take prescription meds (robinul) for this and my odor is not gone completely but it has improved dramatically. Good luck to you all.

Your shirt could be contributing. Try washing them with some baking soda, or vinegar to kill the order/ bacteria in your clothes.

Folk Remedies:

Alcohol/witch hazel. Wipe your armpits with alcohol, white vinegar or witch hazel instead of deodorant.

Alum. Try using a crystal rock made from the mineral salt potassium alum instead of a deodorant. It won't keep you dry as an antiperspirant will, but antiperspirants clog your sweat glands and contain aluminum chlorohydrate, which may lead to future health problems.

Apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar eliminates under arm body odor when used in place of deodorant because it reduces the pH of the skin. Bacteria can't live in areas with low pH.

Baby powder. Use baby powder or talc in areas of heavy perspiration.

Baking soda. Baking soda, the odor-eating standby, can be used instead of deodorant. Just apply the powder to your dry armpits. It will kill bacteria and help absorb perspiration. Cornstarch can also be used instead or mixed with the baking soda.

Parsley/alfalfa. Chewing parsley, alfalfa and other leafy greens will help neutralize body odor, probably because of the deodorizing effect of the chlorophyll.

Radishes. Juice about two dozen radishes, add 1/4 teaspoon of glycerine, and put in a squirt or spray-top bottle. Use as an underarm deodorant or to reduce foot odor.

Rosemary is an antibacterial herb. Put 8 to 10 drops of the essential oil in 1 ounce of water and apply it where needed.

Sage. Herbalists suggest drinking a cup of sage tea daily to reduce sweat gland activity. This is especially true for those who perspire excessively due to tension. Use 11/2 teaspoonsful of dried sage or two tea bags in one cup of water; steep for ten minutes; drink in small doses throughout the day. Fresh sage leaves blended with tomato juice has been found to be very effective.

Tea tree is an antibacterial herb. Make a deodorant by putting 2 drops of the essential oil into 1 ounce of water and apply where needed.

Towelettes (baby wipes). Useful when a tense moment surges the sex hormones which produce fluid under the arms and around the genital areas that, when combined with bacteria, causes odor.

Turnip juice. Turnip juice will reduce underarm odor for up to 10 hours. Grate a turnip, squeeze the juice through cheesecloth, so that you have two teaspoonsful. Wash your armpits first, and vigorously rub one teaspoonful on each one.

Wheat grass. Take 500mg of wheat grass daily on an empty stomach and wash down with a glass of water. The chlorophyll will dramatically reduce body odor.

Homeopathic

Silicea Homeopaths recommend dissolving three 6X tablets of the tissue salt Silicea under the tongue each morning and evening to knock out odor.

Read More Answers...
Load More
Health & Beauty Home RemediesJanuary 30, 2013
Products
Advanced Probiotics
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Sweaty Body Odor
Remedies for Body Odor
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Stinky Feet on Hardwood Floor
Remedies for Stinky Feet
🎉
🎄