Remedies for Armpit Odor

Armpit odor is not only embarrassing, but may be difficult to get under control. This is a guide about remedies for armpit odor.

June 25, 2013 Flag

Hand sanitizer worked like a charm for me when I developed a sudden, strong underarm odor that no amount of bathing, traditional remedy, nor deodorant would control. Four physicians dismissed the problem as normal, even though I'm a middle aged woman who has never had a body odor and have never had to use deodorant.

After many months of this embarrassing problem, I got the idea to try hand sanitizer. Not only did the sanitizer stop the odor immediately, after a week's use the odor has not returned. I'm assuming the cause was bacterial and that the sanitizer killed whatever bacteria was lurking there. At any rate, it's a cheap, safe solution to try.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

THIS REMEDY IS EXTREMELY EFFECTIVE! My friend had a very bad problem with armpit odor--even after showering. Never occurred to me that it could be a bacteria. He tried this remedy and by the second day, I could not believe the difference! By the third day, the odor was completely gone, even before he showered! I complete recommend this for those who have this same problem.

December 9, 2013 Flag

After reading all the tips and trying them out, none worked for me. However after I thought about the cause of the odor, which is bacteria, I realized I was going about it the wrong way.

I went out and bought a bottle of anti-bacterial soap. When pumped, and you only need to pump it once, it creates a foam. Take a bit in both palms and rub it in the armpit.

At the beginning, wash twice, rinse and dry and then take a little in each palm and apply to underarm. Let it dry a bit and then get dressed.
It took about 4 washes to get rid of the odor. I did this for a week and I was so happy. Now I wash my armpits twice a day (morning and bedtime) with the same antibacterial soap and only apply my regular anti-perspirant.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a great tip! I have also used antibacterial soap in a pinch, when I accidentally forgot to put on my antiperspirant/deodorant before church one day. I am a heavy sweater, and the smell was obvious. Thankfully I noticed before the service began. I went to the restroom (which did not have stalls but was a lockable single person bathroom), wondering what I could do, and ended up carefully washing my armpits with antibacterial soap. I dried them with paper towels and then just wiped on a thin layer of the soap foam and left it. Problem was solved! I still was sweating heavily (of course) but now it had no odor.

October 16, 2014 Flag

I come from a tropical country when I was a kid. I remember at school the teacher would make us rub lime with baking soda, that used to work very well!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 18, 2016 Flag

Well everyday I go to school by walking, but I sweat even before getting to school. Sometimes I feel like going back home and showering but it's too late.
Many people talk about me and they say I never shower. I don't understand even when I'm showering routinely it happens. Why do my armpits smell so bad when I'm playing, but others don't smell. What can I do? And why me only?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Do you have excessive perspiration? This can also be a problem, as well as smelliness. My son had this problem, and used a product called "Drysol" (I think that was the name -- I hope it was! We found the name by googling on the net, and then discussed this with our druggist, who had the product on the shelves.) This worked well for him. As well, he used Mitchem antiperspirant, as that was the most effective brand. I would also suggest wearing clothes made from cotton, as polyester shirts are more prone to smelliness than cotton ones. You could try these things first, as they are pretty low cost, and don't require a doctor's visit. However, if the perspiration is not excessive, Drysol is not for you; it is not for just odor.

Best Answer

Try this. Go to cvs or walgreens and buy hibiclens. Use it daily or even three times per week. I know it makes you super clean and it is what health professionals such as surgeons use before surgery.

January 9, 2009 Flag

Since my first child I've had the problem of arm pit odor. I'm thinking it has something to do with my hormone levels changing, but haven't had it checked yet. What have you tried, I've tried practically all the brands of deodorants including some men's brands, crystals, alcohol, and apple cider vinegar to no avail.

irislynn777

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You need to consult with a dermatologist, there is a pill you can take that will solve your problem. In fact you can go a full day without deodorant or antiperspirant. I know this can be a very embarrassing moment and I feel you pain but I am sure a dermatologist can help.

Best Answer

I have been fighting underarm odor for the past 35+ years. Have tried every deodorant, crystal, powder, etc. on the market. I am also allergic to fragrance so until kinda recently I couldn't use deodorants without getting an awful rash. And when I was young, I was a professional ballroom dancer, so keeping fresh and sweet smelling was quite a challenge. Things I have learned are:

You need to scrub your underarms with a light scrubber using an antibiotic soap bar like Dial or Safeguard. This gets rid of most prior deodorant applications and bacteria and keeps your pores unclogged. Everyone's chemistry is different, so try different antibiotic soaps to find the best for you.

Then after you've towel dried, use rubbing alcohol thoroughly under your armpits. Repeat a couple times a day as necessary. I use flat round cotton pads soaked in a little container I can carry in my purse. This makes it easy to do a quickie touchup wipe anytime or anywhere.

If I know I am going to be working out or going dancing, I will use a product called Drysol or CertiDri(?). This must be applied at nite after you've showered and are lying down in bed. Apply lightly to underarms and keep arms raised until completely dry or it may sting and cause redness or a rash. This method should keep you dry all day. Its kinda a hassle but will keep you dry during workouts or stress.

Lastly, I wear breathable tops. No synthetics or silks. These fabrics retain the odor and get worse as the day goes on.

When this method is used most of the time, deodorants are then effective when you use them periodically.

Additionally, you can also spray a small amount of your perfume below your underarms on your blouse or top so when you lift your arms, only the smell of your perfume should waft up to your nose or others around you. I hope this work for you as it has worked for me.

February 26, 2014 Flag

My underarms always smell a little bit bad after showering, no matter what I've used. I've used so many different showering gels, cloths, and sponges. None work. The smell isn't terrible, but it's never fully clean. I'm also on quite a tight budget. :/ Please help.

By Terri M.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Armpit odor is caused by bacteria. Shower body wash, gels etc. may not work for everyone. Try this on a weekend. After your shower apply antibacteria ointment on your pits. May take two treatments. The Walmart house brand is good. The odor will vanish.

Best Answer

I had the same problem so solved the problem. I exfoliated underarms with a paste made of baking soda and cornmeal, no more odor. We have dead skin under armpits. It works, try it

April 21, 2015 Flag

I have tried everything from lime to baking soda to milk of magnesia. I try to remove all the bacteria as much as possible with methylated spirit. I use a men's deodorant now and nothing seems to be working. I am a teenager. It is very embarrassing because I am a leader in many groups and a lot of people talk bad about me. Please help.

By Camun D

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You should take 1 chllorophyll tablet twice a day , Also wipe underarms with lemon juice[can use the stuff that comes in the bottle] - rinse and dry.then put deodorant on , You will still sweat but you won't have a bad odor , make sure you are not allergic to grass [chlorophyll] or green plants before you take the chlorophll , was with a good deodorant soap or a peppermint soap . . should help

Try using women's deodorant and hand sanitizer

June 16, 2013 Flag

I am in college now, but still I can't cure my underarm problem. It's not the sweat, it's the smell. I've tried everything, but none of it worked. Some students was making fun of me and that's not really good. It's bringing down my confidence and I don't know what to do. I'm so hopeless for now, I feel so down. I don't wanna be the same girl anymore. I wanna express myself, but I can't because this thing keeps holding me back. I'm so tired of being teased. What should I do?

By Mikaela

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Hey so I struggled with the same issue all my life and am now in college. I actually have hyper hydrosis (not sure if I spelled that right) which is an over sweating of the palms but I swear I have the sweatiest pits and feet out there. I use apple cider vinegar on my arm pits after my morning shower, once a week. It kills the bacteria. When it comes to the confidence thing you just have to get a bit sassy! Your nerves about the smell will only make you sweat more. If someone is commenting about the smell I give you permission to say you have a disease called hyper hydrosis, and trust me once you say it's a disease or a disorder then they are the ones that look bad for making fun of you. Embrace the sweat and be confident, if someone has a problem with it then it's their problem not yours.

Listerine or a different kill bacteria mouthwash help me. Also helps if i put blow dryer on cool and make sure i am completely dry before I apply deodorant.

February 8, 2016 Flag

I am a 15 year old and I have really bad body odor. I sweat a lot which does not help at all. It's usually when I sweat that the odor starts and people are reporting me to the health aid and making fun of me before class starts. It's really upsetting me so much that I never want to be in class because I am so embarrassed. It mainly only happens at school, when I get home the sweating stops and so does the body odor so I am really confused. I don't know what to do. I don't know how much more I can take the teasing. It hurts so much and I am always embarrassed to be around other people at school because I don't want to be made fun of. Someone please help me I don't know what to do.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I learned in my anatomy class in college that stress sweat is smellier than "regular" sweat. It seems to me that you might be super stressed throughly school and it's causing you to have major BO. Unfortunaltely I don't know any remedies I can suggest you try... I'm actually looking for something too lol

Hi there. Please make sure that you check your clothes too. sometimes, the odor sticks to your clothes and whenever you sweat, It starts to smell. Make sure to wash your clothes in antibacterial soap, or listerine. It works. I hope this helps you.

October 20, 2014 Flag

It's a bit long winded so please bare with me on this. I shower every morning before work around 6am. I always use deodorant and aftershave. For a good few hours or so I smell great and feel fresh.

The office where I work doesn't have air conditioning and I find that by mid morning (say 10am) I start to develop an underarm odor. It's not terrible, you can just about make out the smell of my shower gel, but it just smells a bit off.

I also wear white t-shirts underneath my work shirts really just to prevent any embarrassing sweat stains appearing on my shirts. I've wondered whether this off smell might be coming from the t-shirts which in turn affects the smell from under my arms.

It's started to make me paranoid at work as I have overheard people talking about me in the office. It makes me feel useless because I'm aware of the slightly off smell.

Is there anything I can do to stop this slightly off odor I develop whilst at work? Any help would be really appreciated.

By JakeP

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had underarm odor for many years. I was finally diagnosed with hyperhydrosis (excessive sweating) disorder. I take prescription meds (robinul) for this and my odor is not gone completely but it has improved dramatically. Good luck to you all.

Your shirt could be contributing. Try washing them with some baking soda, or vinegar to kill the order/ bacteria in your clothes.

November 26, 2014 Flag

I am 25 years old male and have seriously excessive foul smelling sweating, just from my underarms. I have tried several antiperspirants, however none seem to help. The sweating is not throughout the day, but usually random 10-15 minutes sweat bursts from specifically the underarms. No deodorant or perfume has been able to mask the smell.

I have tried everything from changing several shirts during the daytime, to daily showering using anti bacterial soaps. Nothing seems to work and this can be really terrible if occurs during a meeting or at my workspace. Wondering if someone is facing similar problems. Thanks

By Dimitry

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There are over the counter "super strength" antiperspirants that you can get. My son as a teenager had a perspiration problem. Go to your local drugstore and ask the pharmacist what they have. I have forgotten what the name of the product was, but it worked well. You could do a general google search for this topic as well, and that might give you the name of several products. The best (in terms of being strong) regular antiperspirant is Mitchum (I don't believe I've spelled this correctly), but this other product is for people with excessive sweating.

Botox is often used for this. I don't know how expensive it is.

January 30, 2013 Flag

I was using Rexona soap for 3 months. After that I developed an odor coming from my armpits. I even remove the hair from my armpits, but it does not help. It is very noticeable even in winter. I tried Lifebuoy and Dove soap, but there is no change. Can anyone please give me solution?

By Mani from Ap

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You need to use a deodorant or antiperspirant as well as soap. Mitchem, which is a brand we have here in Canada, is very good.

Dr. A. Weil recomends that you use rubbing alcohol as a deodorant. It will kill the organism that causes the odor. I put the alcohol in a spray bottle, and use it that way.

February 24, 2015 Flag

I've never had smelly armpits. I do sweat, but it was always the salty-like smell; never a bad smell. About a month ago i noticed the change in odor. I thought it was this new perfume my roommate got for me which I stopped using immediately. Nothing changed. No deodorant helps, makes it instead worse.

I increased my number of showers from twice daily to three or four. Nothing changed. Am I sick? I really need help.

By Relinda

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Armpit odor is caused by a bacteria, usually it is transfered from another person if you borrowed their shirts, or if they used your deodorant. I don't think it ever goes away, never let your children wear clothes from someone else, that is how it starts.

Try a gel hand sanitizer under your arms. Works for me. Many things can affect underarm odor. Stress, age, hormones, what you are eating and drinking. Think about what changed in your life before this began. Good luck.

August 25, 2009 Flag

I have a strange odor emanating from my body. It's not a "BO" odor, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for when it starts. At first I thought it was some medication I was taking and which I stopped taking, but the odor continues. It isn't food related either. I went to the doctor and I have her stumped. What could be causing this?

By as327 from NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Are you diabetic? There is a certain odor to that.

Recently on "The Doctors" show, they had a woman on there who had body odor and no matter what she did she could not get rid of it. I honestly don't remember the remedy but maybe could go to their website and do a search. Good Luck!

August 17, 2010 Flag

I'm a 35 year old female with excessive sweat and odor under my arms. I have tried most deodorants including the clinical strength. I just don't know what to do, nothing seems to help. Hope you can help me.

By can ya help? from Anaheim, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I told a friend about Certain Dri and she is forever in my debt! She had tried clinical strength deodorants without luck. Available without a prescription in pharmacy stores where regular deodorant is sold.

Go to health food store or supplement store and buy liquid chlorophyll and follow the directions on the bottle.

Drinking this in water or juice will make you smell better from the inside out.

Load More
Sweaty Body Odor
Remedies for Body Odor
Health & Beauty Home RemediesJanuary 30, 2013
Products
Advanced Probiotics
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Mothballs
Removing Mothball Odor from Washing Machine
Stinky Feet on Hardwood Floor
Remedies for Stinky Feet
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 18, 2017 at 9:17:45 AM on 10.0.0.127 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.