Browsing: Removing Blood Stains from Clothing and Fabric

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Blood Stains from Clothing and Fabric

If treated before before they set blood stains can generally be removed. This is a guide about removing blood stains from clothing and fabric.

A bottle of hydrogen peroxide, great to use to remove blood stains.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

October 9, 2009 Flag

After years of trying every product imaginable to get blood out of clothing, I finally found what works. My father-in-law's colleague told him that the person whose blood it belongs to, can "lick" it out. So I tried it. I had a stain on my skirt (cotton) from where a razor cut on my leg had bled. I took a small amount of my own saliva on my finger and began to rub the stain. It took it completely out: not even the faint ring that is often left behind. However, a few weeks later when my son had a blood stain on one of his athletic uniforms, it was his saliva, not mine, that got it out. My amazement at how well it worked overcame my reluctance at how gross it was.

By Cassy from Enterprise, AL

June 14, 2010 Flag

I had two shepherd dogs who were sisters but once in a while would get into an arguments. One day they did and got some blood on one of my favorite pillow covers. Well in our rush to make sure that no one was hurt too badly and to get things cleaned up, the pillow cover was tossed into the laundry basket instead of the wash.

I came across it later the next week and the blood stains were set in good. I was thinking what I could use to clean it, because bleach was out of the question due to the bright colors. I happened to glance at the peroxide and thought why not, it cleans wounds and washes them out. So I had a small spray bottle and put the peroxide in there without diluting it and sprayed the blood stains until they were wet and tossed it into the wash.

Well to my amazement they came out, all but a few of the more heavily stained areas. I sprayed those spots and washed it again and it was clean, no more blood stains. Since then I have been able to remove a lot of really set in stains that are organic based using the peroxide and no problems with colors so far. It is a lot cheaper than the spay laundry cleaners since I buy it in the large pint bottles at the dollar stores and I have found I use much less of it than the spray cleaners.

By AJ from California, MO

February 13, 2011 Flag

Blood stains on clothes? Not to worry. Just pour a little hydrogen peroxide on a cloth and proceed to wipe off every drop of blood. Works every time!

August 3, 2011 Flag

My husband went fishing the other day, and came home with fish blood stained through his jeans to his underwear and on his white T-shirt. I washed the whites in bleach and dried them, but the stains were still there.

September 8, 2016 Flag

I washed and dried a load of laundry and after it dried I discovered that I had left a lipstick and a pen in a pocket. Also, one baby sheet has a blood stain. Is there anything that I can try to remove the stains; they are mostly baby items.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 19, 2006 Flag

How to clean dry blood from cloth?

Earl from TN

Best Answer

I would sincerely like to thank everyone on this page. I had a blood stain on a dryclean only white down comforter and tried the peroxide. I used a cup underneath it to drain through and I am so happy with the results. It took quite a bit, but it really does work. Thank you so much!

It takes a little bit of effort but its worth it, i removed a bloodstain from a sheet that was weeks old. p.s. for those who dont know, baking soda is bicarbonate of soda

August 18, 2010 Flag

I have had a blood stain on my bed quilt for a quite a while now. It's dried, but I'm sure there's still a way to get it out. Does anyone know any cheap and easy ways to get it out? And yes, unfortunately, my bed quilt is white. I hope somebody can still help me though!

By Buddy

Best Answer

Use regular peroxide out of your bathroom cabinet. People tell you to use it, but not "how" to use it. Hope this helps. First and most important! Do NOT put item in washer or dryer. (Test for color safe first with peroxide.) For your white quilt. Fold a white towel until it is 8 or more layers thick. Put under stain. Soak stain with regular peroxide. Do not POUR on spot(s). Just dab on till it's wet. Wait and count to 20. Do not rub stain or it may get bigger. Dab and PUSH into the underneath towel. Keep spot wet. Keep pushing spot with clean damp rag. Move clean towel under spot as the blood soaks into it. Keep on till it is almost gone. Then you can put a couple of drops of liquid soap on it and let it work. You can wash the whole thing (in washer) or just wash the spot with clean clear water. (Using towel underneath as before.) Press on dry towel to get moisture out and let dry. Laying or hanging. I saved lots of things from the ragbag using this method.

Best Answer

I have used ammonia, sudsing ammonia works best, for dried blood stains. It is usually sold for cleaning floors. I put it in a spray bottle for this use. Wet the stain. Spray the stain heavily with the ammonia. Let sit for 5-10 minutes. You may have to repeat a couple of times, then wash as usual.

June 13, 2011 Flag

How do I remove blood stains from cotton material?

By Merinda G.

Best Answer

Hydrogen peroxide will take out any blood stain if you get to it before the fabric is washed. Nurses used this for years when they wore white uniforms. It will not damage fabric.

Straight hydrogen peroxide will take out blood from cotton. Lay fabric over a bowl and poor it right on to the stain. You can gently rub it if necessary. You may have to do this several times, depending on how bad it is. As with any stain, if you've already washed it first, or tried another method first, that did not work, you may have already 'set' the stain. In that case, you may have to take it to a dry cleaners.

November 1, 2010 Flag

I have a green woolen top; how do I get dried blood stain out without using bleach?

By Sonya from Australia

Best Answer

Peroxide will absolutely work on the blood stain, however after all the washing you may find the sweater a little rough and not as comfy, in that case soak in a mild solution of hair conditioner, rinse and dry as label directs. I do this every so often with many natural and synthetic fiber sweaters, it allows me to re-shape and restore the softness.

Best Answer

Put in the freezer overnight, wash in cold water, then wash with Ivory bar soap (has to be bar).

January 21, 2009 Flag

How do I remove old blood stains from fabric?

Lorraine from Perth, Western Australia

Best Answer

You can try soaking the stain in ice water. This works best with fresher stains. This is what we used in the blood bank blood drawing station. We had paper towels at the ready sitting in very cold ice water. Safe for nearly all fabrics.

Thanks!!! The 409 works!

June 24, 2011 Flag

Use household ammonia (full strength) to remove blood stains from clothing. Try to catch the stain as quickly as possible, and launder right away in cold water. Stain will disappear.

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsAugust 4, 2013
Cleaning With Hydrogen Peroxide
Cleaning With Hydrogen Peroxide
Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
sweat stain on dark clothing
Perspiration Stains on Dark Clothing
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 5:26:05 AM on 10.0.1.95 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.