Removing Blood Stains from Clothing and Fabric

If treated before before they set blood stains can generally be removed. This is a guide about removing blood stains from clothing and fabric.

October 9, 2009 Flag

After years of trying every product imaginable to get blood out of clothing, I finally found what works. My father-in-law's colleague told him that the person whose blood it belongs to, can "lick" it out. So I tried it. I had a stain on my skirt (cotton) from where a razor cut on my leg had bled. I took a small amount of my own saliva on my finger and began to rub the stain. It took it completely out: not even the faint ring that is often left behind. However, a few weeks later when my son had a blood stain on one of his athletic uniforms, it was his saliva, not mine, that got it out. My amazement at how well it worked overcame my reluctance at how gross it was.

By Cassy from Enterprise, AL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you so much for posting this! I'm staying with someone, and I accidentally got blood on her bedspread, and didn't find out until 14 hours after, and I almost freaked! I knew hydrogen peroxide gets blood out, but I didn't know how old the blood could be. When I saw this I immediately got my a spot on my shirt wet, and started to rub in small circles with my finger. When I saw it lightening up I spit on the spot, and went to the bathroom, got a sponge, and poured some hydrogen peroxide on it. The blood is completely gone! I can't even tell where the blood was! Thank you so much! I was so happy I shared it on twitter! 

June 14, 2010 Flag

I had two shepherd dogs who were sisters but once in a while would get into an arguments. One day they did and got some blood on one of my favorite pillow covers. Well in our rush to make sure that no one was hurt too badly and to get things cleaned up, the pillow cover was tossed into the laundry basket instead of the wash.

I came across it later the next week and the blood stains were set in good. I was thinking what I could use to clean it, because bleach was out of the question due to the bright colors. I happened to glance at the peroxide and thought why not, it cleans wounds and washes them out. So I had a small spray bottle and put the peroxide in there without diluting it and sprayed the blood stains until they were wet and tossed it into the wash.

Well to my amazement they came out, all but a few of the more heavily stained areas. I sprayed those spots and washed it again and it was clean, no more blood stains. Since then I have been able to remove a lot of really set in stains that are organic based using the peroxide and no problems with colors so far. It is a lot cheaper than the spay laundry cleaners since I buy it in the large pint bottles at the dollar stores and I have found I use much less of it than the spray cleaners.

By AJ from California, MO

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Many many years ago I bought peroxide and when I got home I just threw the bag on the bed with a white bedspread. Later when I went to put away the articles in the bag, the bottle of peroxide had leaked onto the bedspread leaving a brown spot and my bedspread was ruined forever. Be careful when using peroxide on material.

February 13, 2011 Flag

Blood stains on clothes? Not to worry. Just pour a little hydrogen peroxide on a cloth and proceed to wipe off every drop of blood. Works every time! Now, where to put the body? LOL!

Source: From a good friend who is a nurse.

By JodiT from Aurora, CO

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have used hydrogen peroxide for many years to remove blood from fabric. It is very effective. But, it does not always work completely the first time. It may be necessary to re apply once or twice, a minute or two after the first application.

August 3, 2011 Flag

My husband went fishing the other day, and came home with fish blood stained through his jeans to his underwear and on his white T-shirt. I washed the whites in bleach and dried them, but the stains were still there.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 24, 2011 Flag

Use household ammonia (full strength) to remove blood stains from clothing. Try to catch the stain as quickly as possible, and launder right away in cold water. Stain will disappear.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 1, 2013 Flag

To remove blood stains from clothing, follow these steps immediately, if possible:

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 19, 2006 Flag

How to clean dry blood from cloth?

Earl from TN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I saw this guy on one of those PBS specials do this: wet the area with peroxide and sprinkle on baking soda to make a paste. Pound it in with a brush. Don't scrub back and forth. Do this from both sides of the fabric adding more peroxide and baking soda till the stain is gone. If the fabric is wool or silk, you may not get it out without damaging the fabric.

August 18, 2010 Flag

I have had a blood stain on my bed quilt for a quite a while now. It's dried, but I'm sure there's still a way to get it out. Does anyone know any cheap and easy ways to get it out? And yes, unfortunately, my bed quilt is white. I hope somebody can still help me though!

By Buddy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Use regular peroxide out of your bathroom cabinet. People tell you to use it, but not "how" to use it. Hope this helps. First and most important! Do NOT put item in washer or dryer. (Test for color safe first with peroxide.) For your white quilt. Fold a white towel until it is 8 or more layers thick. Put under stain. Soak stain with regular peroxide. Do not POUR on spot(s). Just dab on till it's wet. Wait and count to 20. Do not rub stain or it may get bigger. Dab and PUSH into the underneath towel. Keep spot wet. Keep pushing spot with clean damp rag. Move clean towel under spot as the blood soaks into it. Keep on till it is almost gone. Then you can put a couple of drops of liquid soap on it and let it work. You can wash the whole thing (in washer) or just wash the spot with clean clear water. (Using towel underneath as before.) Press on dry towel to get moisture out and let dry. Laying or hanging. I saved lots of things from the ragbag using this method.

June 13, 2011 Flag

How do I remove blood stains from cotton material?

By Merinda G.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Try adding a cup of ammonia to your wash with your detergent. If it has been washed and dried, you may have to do it more than once. Hope this helps!

Paula

November 1, 2010 Flag

I have a green woolen top; how do I get dried blood stain out without using bleach?

By Sonya from Australia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Peroxide will absolutely work on the blood stain, however after all the washing you may find the sweater a little rough and not as comfy, in that case soak in a mild solution of hair conditioner, rinse and dry as label directs. I do this every so often with many natural and synthetic fiber sweaters, it allows me to re-shape and restore the softness.

September 8, 2016 Flag

I washed and dried a load of laundry and after it dried I discovered that I had left a lipstick and a pen in a pocket. Also, one baby sheet has a blood stain. Is there anything that I can try to remove the stains; they are mostly baby items.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My college daughter did the same thing. We made a paste with oxyclean and dawn. Then we used an old toothbrush and scrubbed...It did come out.

January 21, 2009 Flag

How do I remove old blood stains from fabric?

Lorraine from Perth, Western Australia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

409 takes out all blood stains. My sister told me this 30 yrs. ago, works!

July 24, 2008 Flag

How do I get dried blood off of a white top? I don't have any peroxide handy either. I need to clean it asap. I got blood on one of my favorite shirts when I went for a tattoo two months ago and I can't get the stain off. Someone help please.

Sako from England

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

My dad was a butcher, and would come home with blood stains on his clothing all the time. My mom bought the powder meat tenderizer you put on tough cuts of meat( it dissolves some of the protein chains making it easier to chew. Blood being protein based will be dissolved too) and made a paste for the really bad spots and made a liquid spray she kept in a small spray bottle for every thing else. She used like a teaspoon or so for the liquid in the bottle. Worked like magic too. The liquid also worked to stop bee sting pain too. It is protein based too.

November 9, 2013 Flag

How can I remove a dried, set in blood stain on a white linen shirt? So far I have tried cold water, white vinegar, and ammonia. None have worked. I have a bleach pen, but am afraid it will make a hole in the fabric.

By Cisco's Mom

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I'm a 40 year old male and live on my own. My washing experience is putting clothes in the front loader and then in the dryer.

I'd just like to say that this site works. I had a $400 shirt and I got a large blood stain, after falling on a chair and after an emergency visit, I forgot about the shirt for a few weeks.

As a result of this site and others, I have basically removed the stain, which was the size of a hand.

The way I did so, was I tried to cold wash it out after spaying with oxy and pre wash products. It came out of the machine the same.

I then got a bucket of cold water and some peroxide, I put the shirt in the bucket of cold water (approx 1/3 a bucket) and approx 100 ml (or not very generous dash of Peroxide). I left for 3-4 days, as I was busy.

I pulled the shirt out of the 3-4 day bucket and the stain was significantly reduced. I wish I poured all the peroxide in, as I might not have need to continue with this story.

Once out the shirt was still not wearable, but with a bit of baking soda/peroxide and a toothbrush, we are rocking.

I didn't measure out the above, just put a dash (few tablespoons of peroxide and a heaped tablespoon of baking soda) mix it all around and then use a toothbrush to put on like brushing your teeth, wait a few minutes and rinse or launder.

I'm an idiot single man that got blood on a valuable and hardly used shirt, so use the above at your own risk.

February 17, 2011 Flag

How do you get dried blood out of a cotton mattress protector? Many thanks.

By Margaret from Brisbane, Qld, Australia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

The hydrogen peroxide does work perfectly. You may need to get a bucket or plastic bowl and let it sit in the hydrogen peroxide overnight, keeping it wet. It works better to let it soak. It willl not hurt the fabric. However, if you ever have a fabric with color, stay with it to make sure it doesn't bleach it out. All washable fabrics are usually very safe with this, but I did ruin one shirt by letting it sit too long.

June 11, 2006 Flag

How can I get a drop of dried blood out of a pink dress?

Jai from Chatsworth, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

not knowing the fabric content makes it iffy, but you can try a little peroxide and baking soda. wet the spot with peroxide and blot it off. do that a couple of times then make a paste of baking soda and peroxide and use a soft toothbrush and pound the stain. don't scrub it. rinse and repeat as needed.

February 13, 2011 Flag

How do you remove blood stains from fabrics?

By nickyleroux from South Africa

Answers:

Removing Blood from Fabric

You have to wash it right away in cool water (Not Hot). Spray n wash will work if it is not too dried on, also peroxide. (06/21/2009)

By taka

Removing Blood from Fabric

Oddly enough what removes blood is saliva, the only catch is it has to be the Spit from the person who the blood belong to, this is great for quilters who keep pricking their fingers and leaving little dots of blood if it's a big spot it may take a lot is spit , this even works on minstrel blood. (06/21/2009)

By BABBIE

Removing Blood from Fabric

Run cold water over it then pour some Hydrogen Peroxide on it I rinse and repeat a few times and then wash it in the washer with detergent and cold water. Hydrogen Peroxide will take out just about any protein based stain. (06/21/2009)

By loralea

Removing Blood from Fabric

Oxy Clean has worked miracles for us. (06/22/2009)

By donjweiser

Removing Blood from Fabric

The best way I've found is to soak the item in cold milk overnight and then wash as normal. This idea came from my Grandma. No bio detergents in her time. (06/23/2009)

By blackbess

Removing Blood from Fabric

I use a product called Z'Out. I've had a bottle forever. I bought it at a uniform shop for nurses who need to get blood and vomit out of their uniforms.

Susan in Omaha (06/23/2009)

By susan matthews

Removing Blood from Fabric

In the U.S. it's called Shout. Look in your store for an enzyme-based cleanser. I find it better than peroxide. (06/24/2009)

By tennesue

Removing Blood from Fabric

I found this cleaner at my parents house called Off cleaner and it worked perfect at getting the blood out of my shirt. (02/12/2010)

By jane1212

Removing Blood from Fabric

OMG! I wish I had found you sooner! Seriously, where have you been all my life! lol. Last night I tried a little bit of Tide and a little bit of Head and Shoulders on some dried blood and it worked! Thank you from my brand new knickers! hehe. (07/03/2010)

By tlb1383

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 1, 2010 Flag

Please help! My favorite skirt got blood on it. It's 100% cotton and khaki in color. The stain remover (ERA) isn't doing anything. I hope you can help me. Thank you for your time all the same.

By Elizabeth from Oswego, NY

Answers:

Blood Stains on Clothing

Personally, I would try Shout or Resolve to get the stain out. You can try this thriftyfun.com, but I don't know how successful it will be. (08/18/2010)

By Suntydt

Blood Stains on Clothing

When I get blood on clothes at work, I soak them in an old, clean bowl with cold water (the stained part only), then pour peroxide straight on, and scrub the fabric well. Run it under the tap with flowing, cold water. Then I wash in cold water only. Be sure to check the stain out before putting in the dryer. You may have to repeat several times, but it has always worked for me. (08/19/2010)

By fatboyslimsmom

Blood Stains on Clothing

Peroxide is a miracle on blood stains. Put it on, let it soak and it'll be gone! (08/24/2010)

By PainterLee

Blood Stains on Clothing

I use a mix of 1/3 water, 1/3 hydrogen peroxide, and 1/3 clear dish washing liquid. I usually have to spray and leave it sit for a while, spray again and let it sit. I sometimes have to spray it 4 or 5 times before it all disappears. I then wash the clothing as usual and the stain is gone. It also works for many other stains, juice, grass, etc. (08/24/2010)

By marysescapades

Blood Stains on Clothing

The best way I know to remove a blood stain is to get to it as soon as possible and rinse in cool water (hot water sets the stain), then put a few drops of Ivory dish soap on the stain and scrub the material together until you can see the stain start to disappear. Repeat until the stain is gone. Good luck! :) (09/01/2010)

By crazymissmary :)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 18, 2010 Flag

How can I remove a blood stain from a white shirt with part being colored fabric?

By Cherylleigh from E. Palestine, OH

Answers:

Blood Stains on Clothing

If you have not washed the shirt, pour peroxide on the stain, then rinse. (06/07/2010)

By Ann

Blood Stains on Clothing

Do "not" wash with detergent as this sets the stain. Soak in cold water, rub with a bar of Ivory soap, then hand scrub. I've also heard that you can put the shirt in the freezer, then wash in cold water, but I've not tried that yet. (06/07/2010)

By MddsonMorg

Blood Stains on Clothing

Wet the garment, sprinkle the blood spots liberally with salt. Allow salt to stay on garment for about half an hour. Rinse well, then clean spots with dish soap, such as Dawn or Joy. Rinse and air dry. Repeat if blood is not completely removed. Once the garment is blood free, wash and dry as usual. (06/10/2010)

By tracesof

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 14, 2010 Flag

To remove blood stains from clothing spray with Peroxide, brush or rub in, and rinse, or wash in cold water. I always spray Shout on the blood first if the blood has dried. But the peroxide is what cleans the blood out. Peroxide is what hospitals use to remove blood. It is also very inexpensive. You might do a test spot first but I have not had any trouble with the coloring of the clothes being damaged. This will also work on wash cloths, towels, etc.

Source: I got the idea from my sister-in-law, a nurse.

By Linda from Arlington, Texas

Answers:

Hydrogen Peroxide For Blood Stains

This is not about your question or comment, just wanted to tell you I used to be a Linda Smith too till I married, long time ago. (06/18/2008)

By Linda

Hydrogen Peroxide For Blood Stains

Peroxide is a wonderful stain remover .. especially on "protein" stains like blood, grass stains, red wine, etc. It works as well as bleach in many applications including as a mold and mildew remover. It can wreck colors like bleach too so testing on non-color fast materials is helpful .. Peroxide is also what gives Oxy-Clean and other "Oxy" products the power they have and is much cheaper! (06/18/2008)

By Madelynnsmama

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 6, 2010 Flag

How do I get blood off fabric, whether polyester or cotton, that was dried in the dryer?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 22, 2010 Flag

Blood Stains on Clothing. How do I clean blood stains on denim?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 21, 2009 Flag

How do you get dried blood out of clothes, especially sheets, pillowcases and men's khaki pants?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 27, 2009 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 17, 2008 Flag
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Cleaning With Hydrogen Peroxide
Cleaning With Hydrogen Peroxide
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsAugust 4, 2013
Products
Pair of dentures in a glass of clear liquid
Using Hydrogen Peroxide for Cleaning Dentures
Black women's heeled suede booties
Cleaning Suede Boots With Hydrogen Peroxide
Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 11:57:46 PM on 10.0.2.145 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.