Browsing: Removing Blood Stains from Clothing and Fabric

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Blood Stains from Clothing and Fabric

If treated before before they set blood stains can generally be removed. This is a guide about removing blood stains from clothing and fabric.

A bottle of hydrogen peroxide, great to use to remove blood stains.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

October 9, 2009 Flag

After years of trying every product imaginable to get blood out of clothing, I finally found what works. My father-in-law's colleague told him that the person whose blood it belongs to, can "lick" it out. So I tried it. I had a stain on my skirt (cotton) from where a razor cut on my leg had bled. I took a small amount of my own saliva on my finger and began to rub the stain. It took it completely out: not even the faint ring that is often left behind. However, a few weeks later when my son had a blood stain on one of his athletic uniforms, it was his saliva, not mine, that got it out. My amazement at how well it worked overcame my reluctance at how gross it was.

By Cassy from Enterprise, AL

August 19, 2006 Flag

How to clean dry blood from cloth?

Earl from TN

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I would sincerely like to thank everyone on this page. I had a blood stain on a dryclean only white down comforter and tried the peroxide. I used a cup underneath it to drain through and I am so happy with the results. It took quite a bit, but it really does work. Thank you so much!

Read More Answers...

August 18, 2010 Flag

I have had a blood stain on my bed quilt for a quite a while now. It's dried, but I'm sure there's still a way to get it out. Does anyone know any cheap and easy ways to get it out? And yes, unfortunately, my bed quilt is white. I hope somebody can still help me though!

By Buddy

Best Answer

I have used ammonia, sudsing ammonia works best, for dried blood stains. It is usually sold for cleaning floors. I put it in a spray bottle for this use. Wet the stain. Spray the stain heavily with the ammonia. Let sit for 5-10 minutes. You may have to repeat a couple of times, then wash as usual.

Read More Answers...

June 13, 2011 Flag

How do I remove blood stains from cotton material?

By Merinda G.

Best Answer

Hydrogen peroxide will take out any blood stain if you get to it before the fabric is washed. Nurses used this for years when they wore white uniforms. It will not damage fabric.

Read More Answers...

November 1, 2010 Flag

I have a green woolen top; how do I get dried blood stain out without using bleach?

By Sonya from Australia

Best Answer

Put in the freezer overnight, wash in cold water, then wash with Ivory bar soap (has to be bar).

Read More Answers...

January 21, 2009 Flag

How do I remove old blood stains from fabric?

Lorraine from Perth, Western Australia

Best Answer

You can try soaking the stain in ice water. This works best with fresher stains. This is what we used in the blood bank blood drawing station. We had paper towels at the ready sitting in very cold ice water. Safe for nearly all fabrics.

Read More Answers...

June 14, 2010 Flag

I had two shepherd dogs who were sisters but once in a while would get into an arguments. One day they did and got some blood on one of my favorite pillow covers. Well in our rush to make sure that no one was hurt too badly and to get things cleaned up, the pillow cover was tossed into the laundry basket instead of the wash.

I came across it later the next week and the blood stains were set in good. I was thinking what I could use to clean it, because bleach was out of the question due to the bright colors. I happened to glance at the peroxide and thought why not, it cleans wounds and washes them out. So I had a small spray bottle and put the peroxide in there without diluting it and sprayed the blood stains until they were wet and tossed it into the wash.

Well to my amazement they came out, all but a few of the more heavily stained areas. I sprayed those spots and washed it again and it was clean, no more blood stains. Since then I have been able to remove a lot of really set in stains that are organic based using the peroxide and no problems with colors so far. It is a lot cheaper than the spay laundry cleaners since I buy it in the large pint bottles at the dollar stores and I have found I use much less of it than the spray cleaners.

By AJ from California, MO

February 13, 2011 Flag

Blood stains on clothes? Not to worry. Just pour a little hydrogen peroxide on a cloth and proceed to wipe off every drop of blood. Works every time!

July 24, 2008 Flag

How do I get dried blood off of a white top? I don't have any peroxide handy either. I need to clean it asap. I got blood on one of my favorite shirts when I went for a tattoo two months ago and I can't get the stain off. Someone help please.

Sako from England

Best Answer

For years I've used 409 Formula cleaner. DO NOT dilute it....just pour it right onto the blood spot and rub fabric together until it comes out, then wash. If it doesn't come out on the first try, keep repeating until you can barely see the spot. Throw in the wash and it should be gone. After years of the MONTHLY CYCLE that we women all go through I found this to work the fastest & the best. P.S. You should use rubber gloves for the rubbing part, as it is strong and can break out the skin.

Read More Answers...

August 3, 2011 Flag

My husband went fishing the other day, and came home with fish blood stained through his jeans to his underwear and on his white T-shirt. I washed the whites in bleach and dried them, but the stains were still there.

November 9, 2013 Flag

How can I remove a dried, set in blood stain on a white linen shirt? So far I have tried cold water, white vinegar, and ammonia. None have worked. I have a bleach pen, but am afraid it will make a hole in the fabric.

By Cisco's Mom

Best Answer

I'm a 40 year old male and live on my own. My washing experience is putting clothes in the front loader and then in the dryer.

I'd just like to say that this site works. I had a $400 shirt and I got a large blood stain, after falling on a chair and after an emergency visit, I forgot about the shirt for a few weeks.

As a result of this site and others, I have basically removed the stain, which was the size of a hand.

The way I did so, was I tried to cold wash it out after spaying with oxy and pre wash products. It came out of the machine the same.

I then got a bucket of cold water and some peroxide, I put the shirt in the bucket of cold water (approx 1/3 a bucket) and approx 100 ml (or not very generous dash of Peroxide). I left for 3-4 days, as I was busy.

I pulled the shirt out of the 3-4 day bucket and the stain was significantly reduced. I wish I poured all the peroxide in, as I might not have need to continue with this story.

Once out the shirt was still not wearable, but with a bit of baking soda/peroxide and a toothbrush, we are rocking.

I didn't measure out the above, just put a dash (few tablespoons of peroxide and a heaped tablespoon of baking soda) mix it all around and then use a toothbrush to put on like brushing your teeth, wait a few minutes and rinse or launder.

I'm an idiot single man that got blood on a valuable and hardly used shirt, so use the above at your own risk.

Read More Answers...

February 17, 2011 Flag

How do you get dried blood out of a cotton mattress protector? Many thanks.

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsAugust 4, 2013
Cleaning With Hydrogen Peroxide
Cleaning With Hydrogen Peroxide
Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
sweat stain on dark clothing
Perspiration Stains on Dark Clothing
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 5:00:03 PM on 10.0.2.241 in 7 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.