Removing Blood Stains from Clothing and Fabric

If treated before before they set blood stains can generally be removed. This is a guide about removing blood stains from clothing and fabric.

October 9, 2009 Flag

After years of trying every product imaginable to get blood out of clothing, I finally found what works. My father-in-law's colleague told him that the person whose blood it belongs to, can "lick" it out. So I tried it. I had a stain on my skirt (cotton) from where a razor cut on my leg had bled. I took a small amount of my own saliva on my finger and began to rub the stain. It took it completely out: not even the faint ring that is often left behind. However, a few weeks later when my son had a blood stain on one of his athletic uniforms, it was his saliva, not mine, that got it out. My amazement at how well it worked overcame my reluctance at how gross it was.

By Cassy from Enterprise, AL

Thank you so much for posting this! I'm staying with someone, and I accidentally got blood on her bedspread, and didn't find out until 14 hours after, and I almost freaked! I knew hydrogen peroxide gets blood out, but I didn't know how old the blood could be. When I saw this I immediately got my a spot on my shirt wet, and started to rub in small circles with my finger. When I saw it lightening up I spit on the spot, and went to the bathroom, got a sponge, and poured some hydrogen peroxide on it. The blood is completely gone! I can't even tell where the blood was! Thank you so much! I was so happy I shared it on twitter! 

June 14, 2010 Flag

I had two shepherd dogs who were sisters but once in a while would get into an arguments. One day they did and got some blood on one of my favorite pillow covers. Well in our rush to make sure that no one was hurt too badly and to get things cleaned up, the pillow cover was tossed into the laundry basket instead of the wash.

I came across it later the next week and the blood stains were set in good. I was thinking what I could use to clean it, because bleach was out of the question due to the bright colors. I happened to glance at the peroxide and thought why not, it cleans wounds and washes them out. So I had a small spray bottle and put the peroxide in there without diluting it and sprayed the blood stains until they were wet and tossed it into the wash.

Well to my amazement they came out, all but a few of the more heavily stained areas. I sprayed those spots and washed it again and it was clean, no more blood stains. Since then I have been able to remove a lot of really set in stains that are organic based using the peroxide and no problems with colors so far. It is a lot cheaper than the spay laundry cleaners since I buy it in the large pint bottles at the dollar stores and I have found I use much less of it than the spray cleaners.

By AJ from California, MO

Many many years ago I bought peroxide and when I got home I just threw the bag on the bed with a white bedspread. Later when I went to put away the articles in the bag, the bottle of peroxide had leaked onto the bedspread leaving a brown spot and my bedspread was ruined forever. Be careful when using peroxide on material.

February 13, 2011 Flag

Blood stains on clothes? Not to worry. Just pour a little hydrogen peroxide on a cloth and proceed to wipe off every drop of blood. Works every time!

August 3, 2011 Flag

My husband went fishing the other day, and came home with fish blood stained through his jeans to his underwear and on his white T-shirt. I washed the whites in bleach and dried them, but the stains were still there.

August 19, 2006 Flag

How to clean dry blood from cloth?

Earl from TN

Best Answer

I saw this guy on one of those PBS specials do this: wet the area with peroxide and sprinkle on baking soda to make a paste. Pound it in with a brush. Don't scrub back and forth. Do this from both sides of the fabric adding more peroxide and baking soda till the stain is gone. If the fabric is wool or silk, you may not get it out without damaging the fabric.

Best Answer

August 18, 2010 Flag

I have had a blood stain on my bed quilt for a quite a while now. It's dried, but I'm sure there's still a way to get it out. Does anyone know any cheap and easy ways to get it out? And yes, unfortunately, my bed quilt is white. I hope somebody can still help me though!

By Buddy

Best Answer

Use regular peroxide out of your bathroom cabinet. People tell you to use it, but not "how" to use it. Hope this helps. First and most important! Do NOT put item in washer or dryer. (Test for color safe first with peroxide.) For your white quilt. Fold a white towel until it is 8 or more layers thick. Put under stain. Soak stain with regular peroxide. Do not POUR on spot(s). Just dab on till it's wet. Wait and count to 20. Do not rub stain or it may get bigger. Dab and PUSH into the underneath towel. Keep spot wet. Keep pushing spot with clean damp rag. Move clean towel under spot as the blood soaks into it. Keep on till it is almost gone. Then you can put a couple of drops of liquid soap on it and let it work. You can wash the whole thing (in washer) or just wash the spot with clean clear water. (Using towel underneath as before.) Press on dry towel to get moisture out and let dry. Laying or hanging. I saved lots of things from the ragbag using this method.

Best Answer

June 13, 2011 Flag

How do I remove blood stains from cotton material?

By Merinda G.

Best Answer

Try adding a cup of ammonia to your wash with your detergent. If it has been washed and dried, you may have to do it more than once. Hope this helps!

Paula

Best Answer

January 21, 2009 Flag

How do I remove old blood stains from fabric?

Lorraine from Perth, Western Australia

Best Answer

409 takes out all blood stains. My sister told me this 30 yrs. ago, works!

Best Answer

November 1, 2010 Flag

I have a green woolen top; how do I get dried blood stain out without using bleach?

By Sonya from Australia

Best Answer

Peroxide will absolutely work on the blood stain, however after all the washing you may find the sweater a little rough and not as comfy, in that case soak in a mild solution of hair conditioner, rinse and dry as label directs. I do this every so often with many natural and synthetic fiber sweaters, it allows me to re-shape and restore the softness.

Best Answer

July 24, 2008 Flag

How do I get dried blood off of a white top? I don't have any peroxide handy either. I need to clean it asap. I got blood on one of my favorite shirts when I went for a tattoo two months ago and I can't get the stain off. Someone help please.

Sako from England

Best Answer

My dad was a butcher, and would come home with blood stains on his clothing all the time. My mom bought the powder meat tenderizer you put on tough cuts of meat( it dissolves some of the protein chains making it easier to chew. Blood being protein based will be dissolved too) and made a paste for the really bad spots and made a liquid spray she kept in a small spray bottle for every thing else. She used like a teaspoon or so for the liquid in the bottle. Worked like magic too. The liquid also worked to stop bee sting pain too. It is protein based too.

Best Answer

June 24, 2011 Flag

Use household ammonia (full strength) to remove blood stains from clothing. Try to catch the stain as quickly as possible, and launder right away in cold water. Stain will disappear.

August 1, 2013 Flag

To remove blood stains from clothing, follow these steps immediately, if possible:

November 9, 2013 Flag

How can I remove a dried, set in blood stain on a white linen shirt? So far I have tried cold water, white vinegar, and ammonia. None have worked. I have a bleach pen, but am afraid it will make a hole in the fabric.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsAugust 4, 2013
Cleaning With Hydrogen Peroxide
Cleaning With Hydrogen Peroxide
Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
sweat stain on dark clothing
Perspiration Stains on Dark Clothing
🎄