Removing Cooking Oil Stains from Clothing

Cooking oil seems to deliberately splatter on your clothing while you are cooking. This is a guide about removing cooking oil stains from clothing.

First, "do not" get clothing wet! Go to a Walmart and purchase Permatex Hand Cleaner. It says on the top of the cap, "Toughest on Laundry Stains". Dry rub this product on your stain and squeeze it off like you would squeeze the top paste towards the end of the tube so it's not all bunched up. Repeat until all the jelly like substance is squeezed out. Rinse with lukewarm water. Repeat if necessary.

You're welcome. :)

How do I get an oil stain out of cotton pants?

By Rick

Answer Was this helpful? 1

And if none of that works, try Lestoil. It took car door grease off my white raincoat and I was very impressed. Let it sit a bit before washing.

When I have difficult stains I usually resort to putting dishwasher detergent in the washing machine. I have had a lot of good luck with this. But probably it is a last resort.

How do I get cooking oil stains out of a 100% viscose mesh look jersey?

By Jacinta

Gently rub baking soda and dish detergent , apply to stain and let set for 10 min. and then wash on gentle in machine.

works every time

I recently got olive oil on my cotton bedspread. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get it out!

My husband works with machines that use A LOT of oil and he has to wear dress shirts, pants and shoes to work. We are talking white dress shirts. He is a teacher. When he first started there, I didn't know how to deal with the oil, so I would cut the shirts and pants to make rags. That quickly became way too expensive. So I started buying cheaper shirts 3 at a time at Walmarts. One day, I was in the auto dept. at Walmarts and another man was buying liquid soap to wash his car engine with and was telling his wife or girlfriend to use it to clean the oil spots on his clothes too with it. Then he told her to use hot boiling water, the engine soap and to let them soak. I then told him I had been listening to his conversation and asked about if any scrubbing was needed. He said no. It works.

I have used it for not only the oil my husband and his students spill on him, but for cooking oil, splatters that get on the floor after cooking. Red mud clay.This is some GOOD soap. Cost around $6 for a gallon. Just pour some in a bucket, enough boiling water to cover the item, then the item. Let soak overnight. Good luck, but I don't think you will need much luck.

Sprinkle oil with corn starch, let it soak up the oil, brush off corn starch, reapply until all of the oil is gone, the launder.

I was making popcorn with a theater type popcorn maker at my daughter's school and got the buttery popcorn oil on a navy blue sweatshirt I had borrowed from my daughter. I sprayed it with 409 and washed it. I was unable to see if the stain had come out before I put it in the dryer so went ahead and dried it. Now I find the stains are still there. Is it too late? Help!

Ande from TX

Try Motsenbacher's Lift Off. It's hard to find but your local hardwarde store can order it. Use on the spot, then you may have to wash several times to get the solvent smell out. It works even on dryer set grease stains!

Generously cover the stain in baby powder, let sit 12-24 hours and wash the next day. It works on all kinds of oil or grease stains, even old ones!

I splattered olive oil on a new blouse. It is a polyester viscose fabric. I washed it on the delicate cycle and used Zout stain remover, then air dried it. The stain did not come out. Please help.

By Carrie from Rochester, NH

My mother used to own a drycleaners. Whenever someone brought something in with any kind of oily stain/spot on it. We gently scrubbed the spot with a soft nail brush and liquid sunlight dish soap, then laundered as normal. (also works great on dirt on men's shirt collars and the bottoms of wedding dresses that drag along the ground, or any "dirt/oil marks on fabrics).

The dish soap cuts the grease. laundry detergent does not have the ingredient affect grease/oil on clothes. Most fabric softener sheet are made from animal fat extracts (which makes your clothes soft) and can sometimes transfer grease stains to clothes while drying in the clothes dryer. (that's why after folding a large load of clothes, items start slipping from your hands, as your hands get a thin oily film. Again, Sunlight dish soap. Tried and True. Hope this helps.

A grease breaking detergernt for dishes or Era, Wisk is needed.

I pressed the bottom of a container of Pam on my t-shirt to try and get a better grip on the nozzle, resulting in a stain in the form of a ring on my t-shirt. I tried using Dawn on it without success.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

By Judy L.

This is a tricky one - the only success I've had (I sprayed Pam on a cotton/poly blouse) was to lay the oily area over a dish towel, soak it with Dawn, and use a toothbrush to work it into the stain. Let it sit for an hour, rinse it with warm water, and let it air dry.

If the stain is still there, repeat. Then, again soak the stain in Dawn and run the pants through a warm water wash and a vinegar rinse. Let air dry and check. You may have to repeat to get it out, but it will eventually go away. Do NOT dry the pants in a dryer until the stain is gone, though, or the stain will be set for life! Good luck!

I need to find out how to get a cooking stain off a cotton dress.

By Sharon

Is it an oil or food stain? Usually, I dampen the spot and apply Dawn or another NON-bleaching dish soap. Work into the stain gently and allow to soak for about 10 minutes, then wash as you normally would.

Most dish washing liquids will make gobs of suds so be prepared to rinse and rinse. Air dry. If this doesn't work, there are products like Shout with which I have had good luck. It may take a couple of tries to completely remove the stain.

How do I remove a cooking oil stain from a garment?

By Liandra from Detroit

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Try Shout. Works for me. I see others use Dawn. I am going to try that as well; stands to reason that it might dissolve grease as that is what it is formulated for.

I was eating steak and onions and the grease from the onions had gotten on my pants. The only products I have are Gain detergent, Sun washing powder, Ajax dish detergent, and some Family Dollar lemon scented bleach with fabric protection. The stain has been on there since Sunday.

By S.H from Atlanta GA

I had a very large area of fresh Wesson oil on a pair of dark brown cotton slacks, so I just saturated the entire pair of slacks in the oil. Should I use a cup of Dawn to neutralize it and let set 24 hours and wash in very warm water? Any suggestions?

By Molly from Land O Lakes

I recently had a large area of Wesson oil on my brown slacks. I tried several things and finally I just soaked the entire pair of pants in Wesson oil. The next step I removed as much of it with paper towels. After that I used a half container of baby powder with corn starch all over the pants and let it set for 6-8 hours. I scraped all of that off that I could and then soaked the pants in a cup of undiluted Dawn. This sat over night. I tried to removed as much of everything possible. I hand washed the slacks and then I put them into the washing machine. Everything came out but I had a dream that I sat on a church pew and left a big oil mark. Don't give up. If you don't try you won't find out if you could have saved those pants.

Molly

I read some of your solutions, but my problem is bigger than a few spots. I had a 5 gallon jug spill over and saturated my spring coat and 2 sweaters with it. Yes, not spots, all 3 garments are filled with peanut oil. I also have 2 umbrellas saturated with oil too. Any solutions?

By Diane G

A bottle of olive oil broke in a shipment covering a sweatshirt jacket. How can I save the jacket?

By Terry O.

How can I get out the tanning oil stain in my cotton/spandex dress?

Suzette from Wixom, MI

If the dress is washable, I would put some Dawn dish washing detergent on the area, leave it alone for a day or two and then wash. Dollar Store shampoo for oily hair works great also, Suave or the cheapest shampoo they have! I got some pizza sauce on a top and put Dawn on it and it came right out. I also use Dawn for collar stains, underarm stains, grass stains on baseball uniforms and just about every kind of stain on clothes! Works like a charm every time!

Does anyone know how to get buttery coconut oil out of clothing?

LorieB from Madison, WI

Anything oily and greasy needs extra care before washing. Try hand-rubbing a bit of dawn dishwashing liquid on the stain, let sit, then was as usual. DO NOT DRY until the stain is completely removed. You may need to wash several times with the Dawn as a pre-treater.

How can you get oil out white clothes and T shirts? I mean cooking oils.

By Kathryn from Lexington, KY

Answers:

I find that Dawn dish washing liquid works well to remove oil from clothes. Just squeeze onto stain and throw in washer. (08/14/2010)

By bejay22

My sister swears by brown soap, and she says it's available in all supermarkets. I had some strains on a shirt that were still there after being washed and then dried. I thought for sure they would never come out because they were "cooked in" after going through the dryer. I wet the stains and rubbed the brown soap all over the stains and washed again, and the stains were gone! (08/18/2010)

By DorothyNYC

I use a stain remover such as Shout. Amway makes a good stain remover as well, but I find it difficult to get the products locally. Saturate the oil spots well with the stain remover, let sit for a bit, then launder in warm water. This will work, even if the stain is an old one and has gone through the dryer. (08/18/2010)

By louel53

How do you remove olive oil stains from clothes?

Carl from Chicago

Answers:

Olive Oil Stain on Clothing

Never use WD-40 or Goop or any other petroleum based product to remove stains from fabric and then after washing it put in the dryer, unless you want a fire or explosion. (11/07/2007)

By M. C. Smith

Olive Oil Stain on Clothing

You can use any type of degreaser. (11/25/2008)

By Reanna

Olive Oil Stain on Clothing

Thank you so much. The Dawn thing worked. My daughter came home from school and she had spilled her sub sandwich on her. She got vinegar and oil on her clothes and they were her favorite pair of pants and the Dawn worked. Thank you! (02/17/2009)

By Gina

I was splattered with corn oil while cooking and I have several spots on a new pair of capris that haven't been washed. They are a burnt orange in color and are 98% cotton and 2% spandex. How can I remove the oil stains?

By Marilyn from Olympia, WA

Answers:

Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

It's almost impossible to remove spattered cooking oil from clothing. Try sewing several appliques on the stained spots. Always, and I say always, wear an apron when cooking or baking.

Please see the post I submitted of how to sew a Baker's Apron. http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf69452175.tip.html.

(04/11/2010)

By MCW

Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

Put baking soda, or baby powder or alcohol on the spots. Let it stay overnight, then wash. Good luck. (04/11/2010)

By kffrmw88

Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

Dawn dish washing liquid works every time. Pour it on the stain, mush it in and let it sit awhile or overnight. Then wash as usual and the oil stain will be gone! (04/12/2010)

By EJDCJ

How do I get peanut oil out of my cotton tee shirts after I have already washed them?

By Kelly from Saratoga, WY

Answers:

Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

I would still try putting a little Dawn on it and letting it set for a few hours. Good luck. (02/12/2010)

By sissy7575

Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

You could try wetting the stain then putting some salt onto it and leave for a couple of hours. Let us know which one worked best for you. Good luck. Helen x (02/15/2010)

By irisheyes

Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

I use Dawn to get out grease and oil stains after I've washed and dried them. (02/15/2010)

By mary1day

Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

I use Shout on the stains, and let it sit for a few minutes. Saturate well with the Shout. Then launder. I find that some oil stains don't show up until after the tee shirt has been laundered, so I do this all the time. (02/15/2010)

By louel53

I need advice on washing the set in stains on clothing such as mayonnaise, oil, butter, etc. and getting the stain out if it has already been washed and dried.

Djxn from Colfax, CA

Answers:

Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

Use Stanley Degreaser which can be purchased from Stanley Home Products. They also have a company web site.

I don't sell the stuff, but I do buy it online.

ss (07/13/2007)

By savvysewer

Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

Old Masters handsoap works wonders. You can buy it in Michael's crafts, for just a few dollars a bar. It removes oil paint, ink, grease, etc. from clothing. I just rub some into the stain and let sit a few minutes and it usually washes the stain right out. Have used on fresh stains and previously washed and dried stains. I highly recommend it. In fact I need to get up there to get a bar myself. (07/17/2007)

By B Kele

Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

I bought the new Shout Advanced Set in Stain Remover. It did a good job on a set in chocolate stain that had been washed and dried many time. I tried it just to see if it would work, and it did. It also got out a ink stain on a work vest. (07/18/2007)

Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

Ditto for the Dawn. You may have to use it more than once, but it's cheap and works great. And can often be used even after stains have been heat-set to save clothing. (07/19/2007)

By susanmajp

Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

I found this somewhere else on the ThriftyFun site and it works wonders for getting cooking oil out of clothes:

everylastpenny.com (07/26/2007)

By M Tanbrooke

Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

Dawn can stain some clothes if it is left on too long, so be careful with dark colors. I know this question was a while back, but I'm new and have an answer. For oil stains, even old ones, pile baby powder in a mound over the stain. Let it sit over night, shake out and then wash as usual. It removes a majority of our oil stains. (08/05/2007)

By Nicole

Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

I used the baby powder suggestion on a huge grease stain on my favorite sweatshirt and it worked. I was amazed. It worked even when the stain appeared to be set-in. Thanks to the person that posted the suggestion. (05/29/2008)

By Elise

Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

I've heard that putting a full can of Coke in your washer works well. Fill the washing machine with the clothes and cold water. After the machine is full of water, add your detergent and a full can of Coke. It should take out the oil stain. Don't know if it works once you dry the garment though. (09/29/2008)

By Lee

Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

I used Shout Advanced after washing and drying my favorite sweatshirt with cooking oil on it. I let the Shout sit overnight, washed in warmest water possible like the directions said and it worked. The stain is completely gone and I don't have to go all the way to Boston (from Texas) to get another one. (01/05/2009)

By Pam

Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

Squirt blue Dawn dish detergent on the stain and let set for at least 24 hours and launder again. (03/01/2009)

By Happily Retired

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

I did not realize a piece of clothing had cooking oil on it before washing - washed in cold water, dried as per usual, discovered grease stain after washed and dried.