Browsing: Removing Cooking Oil Stains from Clothing

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Cooking Oil Stains from Clothing

Cooking oil seems to deliberately splatter on your clothing while you are cooking. This is a guide about removing cooking oil stains from clothing.

Bottle of olive oil.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 11, 2015 Flag

First, "do not" get clothing wet! Go to a Walmart and purchase Permatex Hand Cleaner. It says on the top of the cap, "Toughest on Laundry Stains". Dry rub this product on your stain and squeeze it off like you would squeeze the top paste towards the end of the tube so it's not all bunched up. Repeat until all the jelly like substance is squeezed out. Rinse with lukewarm water. Repeat if necessary.

You're welcome. :)

June 1, 2011 Flag

How do I get an oil stain out of cotton pants?

By Rick

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

And if none of that works, try Lestoil. It took car door grease off my white raincoat and I was very impressed. Let it sit a bit before washing.

When I have difficult stains I usually resort to putting dishwasher detergent in the washing machine. I have had a lot of good luck with this. But probably it is a last resort.

Try talcum powder, put on spot and brush off; may have to do several times.

March 11, 2008 Flag

I recently got olive oil on my cotton bedspread. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get it out!

My husband works with machines that use A LOT of oil and he has to wear dress shirts, pants and shoes to work. We are talking white dress shirts. He is a teacher. When he first started there, I didn't know how to deal with the oil, so I would cut the shirts and pants to make rags. That quickly became way too expensive. So I started buying cheaper shirts 3 at a time at Walmarts. One day, I was in the auto dept. at Walmarts and another man was buying liquid soap to wash his car engine with and was telling his wife or girlfriend to use it to clean the oil spots on his clothes too with it. Then he told her to use hot boiling water, the engine soap and to let them soak. I then told him I had been listening to his conversation and asked about if any scrubbing was needed. He said no. It works.

I have used it for not only the oil my husband and his students spill on him, but for cooking oil, splatters that get on the floor after cooking. Red mud clay.This is some GOOD soap. Cost around $6 for a gallon. Just pour some in a bucket, enough boiling water to cover the item, then the item. Let soak overnight. Good luck, but I don't think you will need much luck.

Sprinkle oil with corn starch, let it soak up the oil, brush off corn starch, reapply until all of the oil is gone, the launder.

Rub some dawn dish washing liquid on the stain and then wet the area and work into a lather. Let set then launder. I work in a restaurant where I come home often with burger grease or fryer grease on my shirts. Dawn works even after I've washed and dried a shirt and then figured out I had a stain.

January 15, 2005 Flag

I was making popcorn with a theater type popcorn maker at my daughter's school and got the buttery popcorn oil on a navy blue sweatshirt I had borrowed from my daughter. I sprayed it with 409 and washed it. I was unable to see if the stain had come out before I put it in the dryer so went ahead and dried it. Now I find the stains are still there. Is it too late? Help!

Ande from TX

Try Motsenbacher's Lift Off. It's hard to find but your local hardwarde store can order it. Use on the spot, then you may have to wash several times to get the solvent smell out. It works even on dryer set grease stains!

Generously cover the stain in baby powder, let sit 12-24 hours and wash the next day. It works on all kinds of oil or grease stains, even old ones!

About using the oven cleaner on the popcorn stain on the clothes and I get sit over night would that ruin the clothes?

May 28, 2010 Flag

I splattered olive oil on a new blouse. It is a polyester viscose fabric. I washed it on the delicate cycle and used Zout stain remover, then air dried it. The stain did not come out. Please help.

By Carrie from Rochester, NH

My mother used to own a drycleaners. Whenever someone brought something in with any kind of oily stain/spot on it. We gently scrubbed the spot with a soft nail brush and liquid sunlight dish soap, then laundered as normal. (also works great on dirt on men's shirt collars and the bottoms of wedding dresses that drag along the ground, or any "dirt/oil marks on fabrics).

The dish soap cuts the grease. laundry detergent does not have the ingredient affect grease/oil on clothes. Most fabric softener sheet are made from animal fat extracts (which makes your clothes soft) and can sometimes transfer grease stains to clothes while drying in the clothes dryer. (that's why after folding a large load of clothes, items start slipping from your hands, as your hands get a thin oily film. Again, Sunlight dish soap. Tried and True. Hope this helps.

A grease breaking detergernt for dishes or Era, Wisk is needed.

Read what someone wrote below about how using Gloop or WD-40 can cause a fire/explosion.

May 22, 2012 Flag

I pressed the bottom of a container of Pam on my t-shirt to try and get a better grip on the nozzle, resulting in a stain in the form of a ring on my t-shirt. I tried using Dawn on it without success.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

By Judy L.

This is a tricky one - the only success I've had (I sprayed Pam on a cotton/poly blouse) was to lay the oily area over a dish towel, soak it with Dawn, and use a toothbrush to work it into the stain. Let it sit for an hour, rinse it with warm water, and let it air dry.

If the stain is still there, repeat. Then, again soak the stain in Dawn and run the pants through a warm water wash and a vinegar rinse. Let air dry and check. You may have to repeat to get it out, but it will eventually go away. Do NOT dry the pants in a dryer until the stain is gone, though, or the stain will be set for life! Good luck!

May 21, 2012 Flag

I need to find out how to get a cooking stain off a cotton dress.

By Sharon

Is it an oil or food stain? Usually, I dampen the spot and apply Dawn or another NON-bleaching dish soap. Work into the stain gently and allow to soak for about 10 minutes, then wash as you normally would.

Most dish washing liquids will make gobs of suds so be prepared to rinse and rinse. Air dry. If this doesn't work, there are products like Shout with which I have had good luck. It may take a couple of tries to completely remove the stain.

September 29, 2010 Flag

How do I remove a cooking oil stain from a garment?

By Liandra from Detroit

Try Shout. Works for me. I see others use Dawn. I am going to try that as well; stands to reason that it might dissolve grease as that is what it is formulated for.

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsJanuary 16, 2013
Coconuts
Cooking With Coconut Oil
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
Jug of used motor oil.
Removing Motor Oil Stains From Carpet
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 5:31:00 AM on 10.0.1.95 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.