Removing Cooking Oil Stains from Clothing

Cooking oil seems to deliberately splatter on your clothing while you are cooking. This is a guide about removing cooking oil stains from clothing.

Bottle of olive oil.
Filter Sort

Question: Buttery Popcorn Oil Stain

I was making popcorn with a theater type popcorn maker at my daughter's school and got the buttery popcorn oil on a navy blue sweatshirt I had borrowed from my daughter. I sprayed it with 409 and washed it. I was unable to see if the stain had come out before I put it in the dryer so went ahead and dried it. Now I find the stains are still there. Is it too late? Help!

Ande from TX

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

About using the oven cleaner on the popcorn stain on the clothes and I get sit over night would that ruin the clothes?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing an Oil Stain from Cotton Clothing

How do I get an oil stain out of cotton pants?

By Rick

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Janz 3 1 Flag

Try talcum powder, put on spot and brush off; may have to do several times.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Olive Oil Stain on Bedding

By Josey 1

I recently got olive oil on my cotton bedspread. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get it out!

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Rub some dawn dish washing liquid on the stain and then wet the area and work into a lather. Let set then launder. I work in a restaurant where I come home often with burger grease or fryer grease on my shirts. Dawn works even after I've washed and dried a shirt and then figured out I had a stain.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Olive Oil Stain on Clothing

By carrie 1

I splattered olive oil on a new blouse. It is a polyester viscose fabric. I washed it on the delicate cycle and used Zout stain remover, then air dried it. The stain did not come out. Please help.

By Carrie from Rochester, NH

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Jackie 1 Flag

Read what someone wrote below about how using Gloop or WD-40 can cause a fire/explosion.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Hand Cleaner for Cooking Oil Stains

By joelisa06 1

First, "do not" get clothing wet! Go to a Walmart and purchase Permatex Hand Cleaner. It says on the top of the cap, "Toughest on Laundry Stains". Dry rub this product on your stain and squeeze it off like you would squeeze the top paste towards the end of the tube so it's not all bunched up. Repeat until all the jelly like substance is squeezed out. Rinse with lukewarm water. Repeat if necessary.

You're welcome. :)

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Pam from a T-shirt

I pressed the bottom of a container of Pam on my t-shirt to try and get a better grip on the nozzle, resulting in a stain in the form of a ring on my t-shirt. I tried using Dawn on it without success.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

By Judy L.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Susan 63 Flag

This is a tricky one - the only success I've had (I sprayed Pam on a cotton/poly blouse) was to lay the oily area over a dish towel, soak it with Dawn, and use a toothbrush to work it into the stain. Let it sit for an hour, rinse it with warm water, and let it air dry.

If the stain is still there, repeat. Then, again soak the stain in Dawn and run the pants through a warm water wash and a vinegar rinse. Let air dry and check. You may have to repeat to get it out, but it will eventually go away. Do NOT dry the pants in a dryer until the stain is gone, though, or the stain will be set for life! Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cooking Oil Stain on Cotton Dress

I need to find out how to get a cooking stain off a cotton dress.

By Sharon

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sheilah Link 5 328 Flag

Is it an oil or food stain? Usually, I dampen the spot and apply Dawn or another NON-bleaching dish soap. Work into the stain gently and allow to soak for about 10 minutes, then wash as you normally would.

Most dish washing liquids will make gobs of suds so be prepared to rinse and rinse. Air dry. If this doesn't work, there are products like Shout with which I have had good luck. It may take a couple of tries to completely remove the stain.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Cooking Oil Stains from Clothing

By liandra 1

How do I remove a cooking oil stain from a garment?

By Liandra from Detroit

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

Try Shout. Works for me. I see others use Dawn. I am going to try that as well; stands to reason that it might dissolve grease as that is what it is formulated for.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

By Molly Sharka 1 10

I had a very large area of fresh Wesson oil on a pair of dark brown cotton slacks, so I just saturated the entire pair of slacks in the oil. Should I use a cup of Dawn to neutralize it and let set 24 hours and wash in very warm water? Any suggestions?

By Molly from Land O Lakes

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Molly Sharka 1 10 Flag

I recently had a large area of Wesson oil on my brown slacks. I tried several things and finally I just soaked the entire pair of pants in Wesson oil. The next step I removed as much of it with paper towels. After that I used a half container of baby powder with corn starch all over the pants and let it set for 6-8 hours. I scraped all of that off that I could and then soaked the pants in a cup of undiluted Dawn. This sat over night. I tried to removed as much of everything possible. I hand washed the slacks and then I put them into the washing machine. Everything came out but I had a dream that I sat on a church pew and left a big oil mark. Don't give up. If you don't try you won't find out if you could have saved those pants.

Molly

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Tanning Oil Stain on Clothing

By suzette 1

How can I get out the tanning oil stain in my cotton/spandex dress?

Suzette from Wixom, MI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

If the dress is washable, I would put some Dawn dish washing detergent on the area, leave it alone for a day or two and then wash. Dollar Store shampoo for oily hair works great also, Suave or the cheapest shampoo they have! I got some pizza sauce on a top and put Dawn on it and it came right out. I also use Dawn for collar stains, underarm stains, grass stains on baseball uniforms and just about every kind of stain on clothes! Works like a charm every time!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Coconut Oil Stain on Clothing

By Lori 1

Does anyone know how to get buttery coconut oil out of clothing?

LorieB from Madison, WI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Susabelle 7 10 Flag

Anything oily and greasy needs extra care before washing. Try hand-rubbing a bit of dawn dishwashing liquid on the stain, let sit, then was as usual. DO NOT DRY until the stain is completely removed. You may need to wash several times with the Dawn as a pre-treater.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

How do I get cooking oil stains out of a 100% viscose mesh look jersey?

By Jacinta

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Grease Stain on Pants

I was eating steak and onions and the grease from the onions had gotten on my pants. The only products I have are Gain detergent, Sun washing powder, Ajax dish detergent, and some Family Dollar lemon scented bleach with fabric protection. The stain has been on there since Sunday.

By S.H from Atlanta GA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Peanut Oil from Clothing

I read some of your solutions, but my problem is bigger than a few spots. I had a 5 gallon jug spill over and saturated my spring coat and 2 sweaters with it. Yes, not spots, all 3 garments are filled with peanut oil. I also have 2 umbrellas saturated with oil too. Any solutions?

By Diane G

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Olive Oil Stains on Sweat Jacket

By Terry O. 1

A bottle of olive oil broke in a shipment covering a sweatshirt jacket. How can I save the jacket?

By Terry O.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Dried On Cooking Oil On Clothing

I did not realize a piece of clothing had cooking oil on it before washing - washed in cold water, dried as per usual, discovered grease stain after washed and dried. Any way of getting out a grease stain once a piece of clothing has been dried in the dryer? Thanks.

bizzymum

Answers:

RE: Dried On Cooking Oil On Clothing

Use Dawn dish soap on the oil spot, full strength and rub it in. Then wash as usual. I'll be very surprised if that oil stain is still there when you dry it again. If the stain is still a little visible, repeat the process. I just had that happen with a teal turtle neck and it worked like a charm. Hope this helps! (03/03/2005)

By Luvyabye

RE: Dried On Cooking Oil On Clothing

Try Lestoil! It works great on any kind of oil stains - even the ones your husband gets while working on the car! (03/03/2005)

By Maureen

RE: Dried On Cooking Oil On Clothing

I just found Janie Dry Spot Remover at Joann's Crafts and it is wonderful! I had oil, grease spots on dark T-shirts and tops. I have tried many things, but because they are dark, it would make a spot. Janie's is magic! (They have been washed and dried previously also!) (05/02/2005)

By Mary Jane

RE: Dried On Cooking Oil On Clothing

Lestoil works, but it smells BAD! I found a degreaser from amway that works wonders, it's an aeorsol can, spray and presto. (06/14/2005)

By kelly

RE: Dried On Cooking Oil On Clothing

Dawn soap worked great! I have a very nice dress shirt with 2 old cooking oil stains, now their gone. Great tip. (09/21/2005)

By Clude

Archive: Olive Oil Stain on Clothing

How can I remove grease stains (olive oil) from cotton? I hate to spend $25 at the dry cleaner for a pair of khakis and a polo shirt!

Jennifer from Chicago

Answers:

RE: Olive Oil Stain on Clothing

Hi Jennifer!!! Squirt Dawn dishwashing liquid on the grease spot full strength, rub it in and wash as usual (I usally let it sit for a few minutes before washing). If the spot doesn't come out, repeat the process a time or 2 more. It's never failed me on any grease spots...even dried in spots!!! (09/06/2006)

By Luvyabye

Annie

There is a product called GOOP and it is sold as a hand cleaner for mecanics. I found it at a dollar store and it's the only grease remover I've used that has worked on absolutely everything. You might find it at an automotive supply store. (09/08/2006)

By

RE: Olive Oil Stain on Clothing

WD-40
    ---> WD40 is made from oil & oil takes out oil. First take a rubber band, wrap the rubber band around the stain to isolate it. Spray on the WD40, let it sit a few hours.
    ---> Then you need to remove the WD40. since WD40 is oil based, use cheap shampoo, because Shampoo removes oil.
    ---> do NOT put any stains in the dryer, as this sets the stain! Make sure all stains are gone before drying in a machine.

As stated above. Goop (or any waterless hand cream) is the best all around stain remover. You could try the Goop first because Goop is made to remove oil from you hands. If the Goop dosen't work, use the WD40. (09/08/2006)

By Cyinda

RE: Olive Oil Stain on Clothing

Try ammonia and or shampoo poured on the spot in the washer. Worked on turkey grease that was spilled on my dress pants and they had even been through the washer and dryer first. (09/11/2006)

Archive: Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

I need advice on washing the set in stains on clothing such as mayonnaise, oil, butter, etc. and getting the stain out if it has already been washed and dried.

Djxn from Colfax, CA

Feedback:

RE: Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

Use Stanley Degreaser which can be purchased from Stanley Home Products. They also have a company web site.

I don't sell the stuff, but I do buy it online.

ss (07/13/2007)

By savvysewer

RE: Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

Old Masters handsoap works wonders. You can buy it in Michael's crafts, for just a few dollars a bar. It removes oil paint, ink, grease, etc. from clothing. I just rub some into the stain and let sit a few minutes and it usually washes the stain right out. Have used on fresh stains and previously washed and dried stains. I highly recommend it. In fact I need to get up there to get a bar myself. (07/17/2007)

By B Kele

RE: Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

I bought the new Shout Advanced Set in Stain Remover. It did a good job on a set in chocolate stain that had been washed and dried many time. I tried it just to see if it would work, and it did. It also got out a ink stain on a work vest. (07/18/2007)

RE: Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

Ditto for the Dawn. You may have to use it more than once, but it's cheap and works great. And can often be used even after stains have been heat-set to save clothing. (07/19/2007)

By susanmajp

RE: Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

I found this somewhere else on the ThriftyFun site and it works wonders for getting cooking oil out of clothes:

everylastpenny.com (07/26/2007)

By M Tanbrooke

RE: Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

Dawn can stain some clothes if it is left on too long, so be careful with dark colors. I know this question was a while back, but I'm new and have an answer. For oil stains, even old ones, pile baby powder in a mound over the stain. Let it sit over night, shake out and then wash as usual. It removes a majority of our oil stains. (08/05/2007)

By Nicole

RE: Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

I used the baby powder suggestion on a huge grease stain on my favorite sweatshirt and it worked. I was amazed. It worked even when the stain appeared to be set-in. Thanks to the person that posted the suggestion. (05/29/2008)

By Elise

RE: Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

I've heard that putting a full can of Coke in your washer works well. Fill the washing machine with the clothes and cold water. After the machine is full of water, add your detergent and a full can of Coke. It should take out the oil stain. Don't know if it works once you dry the garment though. (09/29/2008)

By Lee

RE: Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

I used Shout Advanced after washing and drying my favorite sweatshirt with cooking oil on it. I let the Shout sit overnight, washed in warmest water possible like the directions said and it worked. The stain is completely gone and I don't have to go all the way to Boston (from Texas) to get another one. (01/05/2009)

By Pam

RE: Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

Squirt blue Dawn dish detergent on the stain and let set for at least 24 hours and launder again. (03/01/2009)

By Happily Retired

How do I get peanut oil out of my cotton tee shirts after I have already washed them?

By Kelly from Saratoga, WY

Feedback:

RE: Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

I would still try putting a little Dawn on it and letting it set for a few hours. Good luck. (02/12/2010)

By sissy7575

RE: Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

You could try wetting the stain then putting some salt onto it and leave for a couple of hours. Let us know which one worked best for you. Good luck. Helen x (02/15/2010)

By irisheyes

RE: Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

I use Dawn to get out grease and oil stains after I've washed and dried them. (02/15/2010)

By mary1day

RE: Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

I use Shout on the stains, and let it sit for a few minutes. Saturate well with the Shout. Then launder. I find that some oil stains don't show up until after the tee shirt has been laundered, so I do this all the time. (02/15/2010)

By louel53

I was splattered with corn oil while cooking and I have several spots on a new pair of capris that haven't been washed. They are a burnt orange in color and are 98% cotton and 2% spandex. How can I remove the oil stains?

By Marilyn from Olympia, WA

Feedback:

RE: Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

It's almost impossible to remove spattered cooking oil from clothing. Try sewing several appliques on the stained spots. Always, and I say always, wear an apron when cooking or baking.

Please see the post I submitted of how to sew a Baker's Apron. http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf69452175.tip.html.

(04/11/2010)

By MCW

RE: Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

Put baking soda, or baby powder or alcohol on the spots. Let it stay overnight, then wash. Good luck. (04/11/2010)

By kffrmw88

RE: Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

Dawn dish washing liquid works every time. Pour it on the stain, mush it in and let it sit awhile or overnight. Then wash as usual and the oil stain will be gone! (04/12/2010)

By EJDCJ

Archive: Olive Oil Stain on Clothing

How do you remove olive oil stains from clothes?

Carl from Chicago

Feedback:

RE: Olive Oil Stain on Clothing

Never use WD-40 or Goop or any other petroleum based product to remove stains from fabric and then after washing it put in the dryer, unless you want a fire or explosion. (11/07/2007)

By M. C. Smith

RE: Olive Oil Stain on Clothing

You can use any type of degreaser. (11/25/2008)

By Reanna

RE: Olive Oil Stain on Clothing

Thank you so much. The Dawn thing worked. My daughter came home from school and she had spilled her sub sandwich on her. She got vinegar and oil on her clothes and they were her favorite pair of pants and the Dawn worked. Thank you! (02/17/2009)

By Gina

Archive: Removing Cooking Oil Stains from Clothing

How can you get oil out white clothes and T shirts? I mean cooking oils.

By Kathryn from Lexington, KY

Feedback:

RE: Removing Cooking Oil Stains from Clothing

I find that Dawn dish washing liquid works well to remove oil from clothes. Just squeeze onto stain and throw in washer. (08/14/2010)

By bejay22

My sister swears by brown soap, and she says it's available in all supermarkets. I had some strains on a shirt that were still there after being washed and then dried. I thought for sure they would never come out because they were "cooked in" after going through the dryer. I wet the stains and rubbed the brown soap all over the stains and washed again, and the stains were gone! (08/18/2010)

By DorothyNYC

I use a stain remover such as Shout. Amway makes a good stain remover as well, but I find it difficult to get the products locally. Saturate the oil spots well with the stain remover, let sit for a bit, then launder in warm water. This will work, even if the stain is an old one and has gone through the dryer. (08/18/2010)

By louel53

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsJanuary 16, 2013
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
    Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
    dirty garage floor
    Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
    sweat stain on dark clothing
    Perspiration Stains on Dark Clothing
    Jug of used motor oil.
    Removing Motor Oil Stains From Carpet
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 12:06:33 PM on 10.0.2.59 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings