Browsing: Removing Cooking Oil Stains from Clothing

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Cooking Oil Stains from Clothing

Cooking oil seems to deliberately splatter on your clothing while you are cooking. This is a guide about removing cooking oil stains from clothing.

Bottle of olive oil.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 1, 2011 Flag

How do I get an oil stain out of cotton pants?

By Rick

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When I have difficult stains I usually resort to putting dishwasher detergent in the washing machine. I have had a lot of good luck with this. But probably it is a last resort.

Try talcum powder, put on spot and brush off; may have to do several times.

Read More Answers...

June 11, 2015 Flag

First, "do not" get clothing wet! Go to a Walmart and purchase Permatex Hand Cleaner. It says on the top of the cap, "Toughest on Laundry Stains". Dry rub this product on your stain and squeeze it off like you would squeeze the top paste towards the end of the tube so it's not all bunched up. Repeat until all the jelly like substance is squeezed out. Rinse with lukewarm water. Repeat if necessary.

You're welcome. :)

March 11, 2008 Flag

I recently got olive oil on my cotton bedspread. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get it out!

Sprinkle oil with corn starch, let it soak up the oil, brush off corn starch, reapply until all of the oil is gone, the launder.

Rub some dawn dish washing liquid on the stain and then wet the area and work into a lather. Let set then launder. I work in a restaurant where I come home often with burger grease or fryer grease on my shirts. Dawn works even after I've washed and dried a shirt and then figured out I had a stain.

Read More Answers...

January 15, 2005 Flag

I was making popcorn with a theater type popcorn maker at my daughter's school and got the buttery popcorn oil on a navy blue sweatshirt I had borrowed from my daughter. I sprayed it with 409 and washed it. I was unable to see if the stain had come out before I put it in the dryer so went ahead and dried it. Now I find the stains are still there. Is it too late? Help!

Ande from TX

Generously cover the stain in baby powder, let sit 12-24 hours and wash the next day. It works on all kinds of oil or grease stains, even old ones!

About using the oven cleaner on the popcorn stain on the clothes and I get sit over night would that ruin the clothes?

Read More Answers...

May 28, 2010 Flag

I splattered olive oil on a new blouse. It is a polyester viscose fabric. I washed it on the delicate cycle and used Zout stain remover, then air dried it. The stain did not come out. Please help.

By Carrie from Rochester, NH

A grease breaking detergernt for dishes or Era, Wisk is needed.

Read what someone wrote below about how using Gloop or WD-40 can cause a fire/explosion.

Read More Answers...

May 22, 2012 Flag

I pressed the bottom of a container of Pam on my t-shirt to try and get a better grip on the nozzle, resulting in a stain in the form of a ring on my t-shirt. I tried using Dawn on it without success.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

By Judy L.

This is a tricky one - the only success I've had (I sprayed Pam on a cotton/poly blouse) was to lay the oily area over a dish towel, soak it with Dawn, and use a toothbrush to work it into the stain. Let it sit for an hour, rinse it with warm water, and let it air dry.

If the stain is still there, repeat. Then, again soak the stain in Dawn and run the pants through a warm water wash and a vinegar rinse. Let air dry and check. You may have to repeat to get it out, but it will eventually go away. Do NOT dry the pants in a dryer until the stain is gone, though, or the stain will be set for life! Good luck!

May 21, 2012 Flag

I need to find out how to get a cooking stain off a cotton dress.

By Sharon

Is it an oil or food stain? Usually, I dampen the spot and apply Dawn or another NON-bleaching dish soap. Work into the stain gently and allow to soak for about 10 minutes, then wash as you normally would.

Most dish washing liquids will make gobs of suds so be prepared to rinse and rinse. Air dry. If this doesn't work, there are products like Shout with which I have had good luck. It may take a couple of tries to completely remove the stain.

September 29, 2010 Flag

How do I remove a cooking oil stain from a garment?

By Liandra from Detroit

Try Shout. Works for me. I see others use Dawn. I am going to try that as well; stands to reason that it might dissolve grease as that is what it is formulated for.

May 11, 2010 Flag

I had a very large area of fresh Wesson oil on a pair of dark brown cotton slacks, so I just saturated the entire pair of slacks in the oil. Should I use a cup of Dawn to neutralize it and let set 24 hours and wash in very warm water? Any suggestions?

By Molly from Land O Lakes

I recently had a large area of Wesson oil on my brown slacks. I tried several things and finally I just soaked the entire pair of pants in Wesson oil. The next step I removed as much of it with paper towels. After that I used a half container of baby powder with corn starch all over the pants and let it set for 6-8 hours. I scraped all of that off that I could and then soaked the pants in a cup of undiluted Dawn. This sat over night. I tried to removed as much of everything possible. I hand washed the slacks and then I put them into the washing machine. Everything came out but I had a dream that I sat on a church pew and left a big oil mark. Don't give up. If you don't try you won't find out if you could have saved those pants.

Molly

July 20, 2007 Flag

How can I get out the tanning oil stain in my cotton/spandex dress?

Suzette from Wixom, MI

If the dress is washable, I would put some Dawn dish washing detergent on the area, leave it alone for a day or two and then wash. Dollar Store shampoo for oily hair works great also, Suave or the cheapest shampoo they have! I got some pizza sauce on a top and put Dawn on it and it came right out. I also use Dawn for collar stains, underarm stains, grass stains on baseball uniforms and just about every kind of stain on clothes! Works like a charm every time!

June 5, 2006 Flag

Does anyone know how to get buttery coconut oil out of clothing?

LorieB from Madison, WI

Anything oily and greasy needs extra care before washing. Try hand-rubbing a bit of dawn dishwashing liquid on the stain, let sit, then was as usual. DO NOT DRY until the stain is completely removed. You may need to wash several times with the Dawn as a pre-treater.

September 29, 2010 Flag

How can you get oil out white clothes and T shirts? I mean cooking oils.

By Kathryn from Lexington, KY

Answers:

I find that Dawn dish washing liquid works well to remove oil from clothes. Just squeeze onto stain and throw in washer. (08/14/2010)

By bejay22

My sister swears by brown soap, and she says it's available in all supermarkets. I had some strains on a shirt that were still there after being washed and then dried. I thought for sure they would never come out because they were "cooked in" after going through the dryer. I wet the stains and rubbed the brown soap all over the stains and washed again, and the stains were gone! (08/18/2010)

By DorothyNYC

I use a stain remover such as Shout. Amway makes a good stain remover as well, but I find it difficult to get the products locally. Saturate the oil spots well with the stain remover, let sit for a bit, then launder in warm water. This will work, even if the stain is an old one and has gone through the dryer. (08/18/2010)

By louel53

May 28, 2010 Flag

How do you remove olive oil stains from clothes?

Carl from Chicago

Answers:

Olive Oil Stain on Clothing

Never use WD-40 or Goop or any other petroleum based product to remove stains from fabric and then after washing it put in the dryer, unless you want a fire or explosion. (11/07/2007)

By M. C. Smith

Olive Oil Stain on Clothing

You can use any type of degreaser. (11/25/2008)

By Reanna

Olive Oil Stain on Clothing

Thank you so much. The Dawn thing worked. My daughter came home from school and she had spilled her sub sandwich on her. She got vinegar and oil on her clothes and they were her favorite pair of pants and the Dawn worked. Thank you! (02/17/2009)

By Gina

May 11, 2010 Flag

I was splattered with corn oil while cooking and I have several spots on a new pair of capris that haven't been washed. They are a burnt orange in color and are 98% cotton and 2% spandex. How can I remove the oil stains?

By Marilyn from Olympia, WA

Answers:

Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

It's almost impossible to remove spattered cooking oil from clothing. Try sewing several appliques on the stained spots. Always, and I say always, wear an apron when cooking or baking.

Please see the post I submitted of how to sew a Baker's Apron. http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf69452175.tip.html.

(04/11/2010)

By MCW

Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

Put baking soda, or baby powder or alcohol on the spots. Let it stay overnight, then wash. Good luck. (04/11/2010)

By kffrmw88

Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

Dawn dish washing liquid works every time. Pour it on the stain, mush it in and let it sit awhile or overnight. Then wash as usual and the oil stain will be gone! (04/12/2010)

By EJDCJ

April 11, 2010 Flag

How do I get peanut oil out of my cotton tee shirts after I have already washed them?

By Kelly from Saratoga, WY

Answers:

Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

I would still try putting a little Dawn on it and letting it set for a few hours. Good luck. (02/12/2010)

By sissy7575

Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

You could try wetting the stain then putting some salt onto it and leave for a couple of hours. Let us know which one worked best for you. Good luck. Helen x (02/15/2010)

By irisheyes

Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

I use Dawn to get out grease and oil stains after I've washed and dried them. (02/15/2010)

By mary1day

Removing Cooking Oil From Clothing

I use Shout on the stains, and let it sit for a few minutes. Saturate well with the Shout. Then launder. I find that some oil stains don't show up until after the tee shirt has been laundered, so I do this all the time. (02/15/2010)

By louel53

February 11, 2010 Flag

I need advice on washing the set in stains on clothing such as mayonnaise, oil, butter, etc. and getting the stain out if it has already been washed and dried.

September 21, 2006 Flag
    Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

March 2, 2005 Flag

I did not realize a piece of clothing had cooking oil on it before washing - washed in cold water, dried as per usual, discovered grease stain after washed and dried.

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsJanuary 16, 2013
    Coconuts
    Cooking With Coconut Oil
    dirty garage floor
    Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
    Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
    Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
    Jug of used motor oil.
    Removing Motor Oil Stains From Carpet
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 23, 2016 at 5:24:39 PM on 10.0.0.243 in 800 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.