Browsing: Removing Cooking Oil Stains from Clothing

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Cooking Oil Stains from Clothing

Cooking oil seems to deliberately splatter on your clothing while you are cooking. This is a guide about removing cooking oil stains from clothing.

Bottle of olive oil.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 1, 2011 Flag

How do I get an oil stain out of cotton pants?

By Rick

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When I have difficult stains I usually resort to putting dishwasher detergent in the washing machine. I have had a lot of good luck with this. But probably it is a last resort.

Try talcum powder, put on spot and brush off; may have to do several times.

Read More Answers...

June 11, 2015 Flag

First, "do not" get clothing wet! Go to a Walmart and purchase Permatex Hand Cleaner. It says on the top of the cap, "Toughest on Laundry Stains". Dry rub this product on your stain and squeeze it off like you would squeeze the top paste towards the end of the tube so it's not all bunched up. Repeat until all the jelly like substance is squeezed out. Rinse with lukewarm water. Repeat if necessary.

You're welcome. :)

March 11, 2008 Flag

I recently got olive oil on my cotton bedspread. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get it out!

Sprinkle oil with corn starch, let it soak up the oil, brush off corn starch, reapply until all of the oil is gone, the launder.

Rub some dawn dish washing liquid on the stain and then wet the area and work into a lather. Let set then launder. I work in a restaurant where I come home often with burger grease or fryer grease on my shirts. Dawn works even after I've washed and dried a shirt and then figured out I had a stain.

Read More Answers...

January 15, 2005 Flag

I was making popcorn with a theater type popcorn maker at my daughter's school and got the buttery popcorn oil on a navy blue sweatshirt I had borrowed from my daughter. I sprayed it with 409 and washed it. I was unable to see if the stain had come out before I put it in the dryer so went ahead and dried it. Now I find the stains are still there. Is it too late? Help!

Ande from TX

Generously cover the stain in baby powder, let sit 12-24 hours and wash the next day. It works on all kinds of oil or grease stains, even old ones!

About using the oven cleaner on the popcorn stain on the clothes and I get sit over night would that ruin the clothes?

Read More Answers...

May 28, 2010 Flag

I splattered olive oil on a new blouse. It is a polyester viscose fabric. I washed it on the delicate cycle and used Zout stain remover, then air dried it. The stain did not come out. Please help.

By Carrie from Rochester, NH

A grease breaking detergernt for dishes or Era, Wisk is needed.

Read what someone wrote below about how using Gloop or WD-40 can cause a fire/explosion.

Read More Answers...

May 22, 2012 Flag

I pressed the bottom of a container of Pam on my t-shirt to try and get a better grip on the nozzle, resulting in a stain in the form of a ring on my t-shirt. I tried using Dawn on it without success.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

By Judy L.

This is a tricky one - the only success I've had (I sprayed Pam on a cotton/poly blouse) was to lay the oily area over a dish towel, soak it with Dawn, and use a toothbrush to work it into the stain. Let it sit for an hour, rinse it with warm water, and let it air dry.

If the stain is still there, repeat. Then, again soak the stain in Dawn and run the pants through a warm water wash and a vinegar rinse. Let air dry and check. You may have to repeat to get it out, but it will eventually go away. Do NOT dry the pants in a dryer until the stain is gone, though, or the stain will be set for life! Good luck!

May 21, 2012 Flag

I need to find out how to get a cooking stain off a cotton dress.

By Sharon

Is it an oil or food stain? Usually, I dampen the spot and apply Dawn or another NON-bleaching dish soap. Work into the stain gently and allow to soak for about 10 minutes, then wash as you normally would.

Most dish washing liquids will make gobs of suds so be prepared to rinse and rinse. Air dry. If this doesn't work, there are products like Shout with which I have had good luck. It may take a couple of tries to completely remove the stain.

September 29, 2010 Flag

How do I remove a cooking oil stain from a garment?

By Liandra from Detroit

Try Shout. Works for me. I see others use Dawn. I am going to try that as well; stands to reason that it might dissolve grease as that is what it is formulated for.

May 11, 2010 Flag

I had a very large area of fresh Wesson oil on a pair of dark brown cotton slacks, so I just saturated the entire pair of slacks in the oil. Should I use a cup of Dawn to neutralize it and let set 24 hours and wash in very warm water? Any suggestions?

By Molly from Land O Lakes

I recently had a large area of Wesson oil on my brown slacks. I tried several things and finally I just soaked the entire pair of pants in Wesson oil. The next step I removed as much of it with paper towels. After that I used a half container of baby powder with corn starch all over the pants and let it set for 6-8 hours. I scraped all of that off that I could and then soaked the pants in a cup of undiluted Dawn. This sat over night. I tried to removed as much of everything possible. I hand washed the slacks and then I put them into the washing machine. Everything came out but I had a dream that I sat on a church pew and left a big oil mark. Don't give up. If you don't try you won't find out if you could have saved those pants.

Molly

July 20, 2007 Flag

How can I get out the tanning oil stain in my cotton/spandex dress?

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsJanuary 16, 2013
Coconuts
Cooking With Coconut Oil
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
Jug of used motor oil.
Removing Motor Oil Stains From Carpet
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 29, 2016 at 7:17:33 PM on 10.0.1.9 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.