Removing Cooking Oil Stains from Clothing

Cooking oil seems to deliberately splatter on your clothing while you are cooking. This is a guide about removing cooking oil stains from clothing.

June 11, 2015 Flag

First, "do not" get clothing wet! Go to a Walmart and purchase Permatex Hand Cleaner. It says on the top of the cap, "Toughest on Laundry Stains". Dry rub this product on your stain and squeeze it off like you would squeeze the top paste towards the end of the tube so it's not all bunched up. Repeat until all the jelly like substance is squeezed out. Rinse with lukewarm water. Repeat if necessary.

You're welcome. :)

June 1, 2011 Flag

How do I get an oil stain out of cotton pants?

By Rick

And if none of that works, try Lestoil. It took car door grease off my white raincoat and I was very impressed. Let it sit a bit before washing.

When I have difficult stains I usually resort to putting dishwasher detergent in the washing machine. I have had a lot of good luck with this. But probably it is a last resort.

January 15, 2005 Flag

I was making popcorn with a theater type popcorn maker at my daughter's school and got the buttery popcorn oil on a navy blue sweatshirt I had borrowed from my daughter. I sprayed it with 409 and washed it. I was unable to see if the stain had come out before I put it in the dryer so went ahead and dried it. Now I find the stains are still there. Is it too late? Help!

Ande from TX

Try Motsenbacher's Lift Off. It's hard to find but your local hardwarde store can order it. Use on the spot, then you may have to wash several times to get the solvent smell out. It works even on dryer set grease stains!

Generously cover the stain in baby powder, let sit 12-24 hours and wash the next day. It works on all kinds of oil or grease stains, even old ones!

March 11, 2008 Flag

I recently got olive oil on my cotton bedspread. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get it out!

My husband works with machines that use A LOT of oil and he has to wear dress shirts, pants and shoes to work. We are talking white dress shirts. He is a teacher. When he first started there, I didn't know how to deal with the oil, so I would cut the shirts and pants to make rags. That quickly became way too expensive. So I started buying cheaper shirts 3 at a time at Walmarts. One day, I was in the auto dept. at Walmarts and another man was buying liquid soap to wash his car engine with and was telling his wife or girlfriend to use it to clean the oil spots on his clothes too with it. Then he told her to use hot boiling water, the engine soap and to let them soak. I then told him I had been listening to his conversation and asked about if any scrubbing was needed. He said no. It works.

I have used it for not only the oil my husband and his students spill on him, but for cooking oil, splatters that get on the floor after cooking. Red mud clay.This is some GOOD soap. Cost around $6 for a gallon. Just pour some in a bucket, enough boiling water to cover the item, then the item. Let soak overnight. Good luck, but I don't think you will need much luck.

Sprinkle oil with corn starch, let it soak up the oil, brush off corn starch, reapply until all of the oil is gone, the launder.

May 28, 2010 Flag

I splattered olive oil on a new blouse. It is a polyester viscose fabric. I washed it on the delicate cycle and used Zout stain remover, then air dried it. The stain did not come out. Please help.

By Carrie from Rochester, NH

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My mother used to own a drycleaners. Whenever someone brought something in with any kind of oily stain/spot on it. We gently scrubbed the spot with a soft nail brush and liquid sunlight dish soap, then laundered as normal. (also works great on dirt on men's shirt collars and the bottoms of wedding dresses that drag along the ground, or any "dirt/oil marks on fabrics).

The dish soap cuts the grease. laundry detergent does not have the ingredient affect grease/oil on clothes. Most fabric softener sheet are made from animal fat extracts (which makes your clothes soft) and can sometimes transfer grease stains to clothes while drying in the clothes dryer. (that's why after folding a large load of clothes, items start slipping from your hands, as your hands get a thin oily film. Again, Sunlight dish soap. Tried and True. Hope this helps.

A grease breaking detergernt for dishes or Era, Wisk is needed.

May 22, 2012 Flag

I pressed the bottom of a container of Pam on my t-shirt to try and get a better grip on the nozzle, resulting in a stain in the form of a ring on my t-shirt. I tried using Dawn on it without success.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

By Judy L.

This is a tricky one - the only success I've had (I sprayed Pam on a cotton/poly blouse) was to lay the oily area over a dish towel, soak it with Dawn, and use a toothbrush to work it into the stain. Let it sit for an hour, rinse it with warm water, and let it air dry.

If the stain is still there, repeat. Then, again soak the stain in Dawn and run the pants through a warm water wash and a vinegar rinse. Let air dry and check. You may have to repeat to get it out, but it will eventually go away. Do NOT dry the pants in a dryer until the stain is gone, though, or the stain will be set for life! Good luck!

May 21, 2012 Flag

I need to find out how to get a cooking stain off a cotton dress.

By Sharon

Is it an oil or food stain? Usually, I dampen the spot and apply Dawn or another NON-bleaching dish soap. Work into the stain gently and allow to soak for about 10 minutes, then wash as you normally would.

Most dish washing liquids will make gobs of suds so be prepared to rinse and rinse. Air dry. If this doesn't work, there are products like Shout with which I have had good luck. It may take a couple of tries to completely remove the stain.

September 29, 2010 Flag

How do I remove a cooking oil stain from a garment?

By Liandra from Detroit

Try Shout. Works for me. I see others use Dawn. I am going to try that as well; stands to reason that it might dissolve grease as that is what it is formulated for.

May 11, 2010 Flag

I had a very large area of fresh Wesson oil on a pair of dark brown cotton slacks, so I just saturated the entire pair of slacks in the oil. Should I use a cup of Dawn to neutralize it and let set 24 hours and wash in very warm water? Any suggestions?

By Molly from Land O Lakes

I recently had a large area of Wesson oil on my brown slacks. I tried several things and finally I just soaked the entire pair of pants in Wesson oil. The next step I removed as much of it with paper towels. After that I used a half container of baby powder with corn starch all over the pants and let it set for 6-8 hours. I scraped all of that off that I could and then soaked the pants in a cup of undiluted Dawn. This sat over night. I tried to removed as much of everything possible. I hand washed the slacks and then I put them into the washing machine. Everything came out but I had a dream that I sat on a church pew and left a big oil mark. Don't give up. If you don't try you won't find out if you could have saved those pants.

Molly

July 20, 2007 Flag

How can I get out the tanning oil stain in my cotton/spandex dress?

Suzette from Wixom, MI

If the dress is washable, I would put some Dawn dish washing detergent on the area, leave it alone for a day or two and then wash. Dollar Store shampoo for oily hair works great also, Suave or the cheapest shampoo they have! I got some pizza sauce on a top and put Dawn on it and it came right out. I also use Dawn for collar stains, underarm stains, grass stains on baseball uniforms and just about every kind of stain on clothes! Works like a charm every time!

June 5, 2006 Flag

Does anyone know how to get buttery coconut oil out of clothing?

LorieB from Madison, WI

Anything oily and greasy needs extra care before washing. Try hand-rubbing a bit of dawn dishwashing liquid on the stain, let sit, then was as usual. DO NOT DRY until the stain is completely removed. You may need to wash several times with the Dawn as a pre-treater.

September 29, 2010 Flag

How can you get oil out white clothes and T shirts? I mean cooking oils.

By Kathryn from Lexington, KY

Answers:

I find that Dawn dish washing liquid works well to remove oil from clothes. Just squeeze onto stain and throw in washer. (08/14/2010)

By bejay22

My sister swears by brown soap, and she says it's available in all supermarkets. I had some strains on a shirt that were still there after being washed and then dried. I thought for sure they would never come out because they were "cooked in" after going through the dryer. I wet the stains and rubbed the brown soap all over the stains and washed again, and the stains were gone! (08/18/2010)

By DorothyNYC

I use a stain remover such as Shout. Amway makes a good stain remover as well, but I find it difficult to get the products locally. Saturate the oil spots well with the stain remover, let sit for a bit, then launder in warm water. This will work, even if the stain is an old one and has gone through the dryer. (08/18/2010)

By louel53

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsJanuary 16, 2013
Coconuts
Cooking With Coconut Oil
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
Jug of used motor oil.
Removing Motor Oil Stains From Carpet
🎄