Removing Grease Stain - Tried Lots of Things

I've tried simple green, I've used the orange hand wash you use to remove grease stains, I've used dish soap. Nothing is taking the grease out of my jacket. What do I do?

Answers:

I've had a lot of luck with dishwashing liquid (not the kind for dishwashers, the kind used for hand washing dishes). Just put a bit on, rub in and wash. It works on set in stains, also. Really bad ones may need two washings. (01/03/2005)

By Susan

Lestoil; it smells strong, but because it has petroleum distillates, it will remove any grease stain. Just apply it directly, let it soak in for a few minutes, then wash normally (warm to hot water). You may need to rewash to remove the odor. (01/04/2005)

By Kathy

As a last resort, ammonia has been very effective for me. You can pour it directly on the stain then launder as usual. You can also put a cup or two into your load of laundry. (01/04/2005)

By Faye

Spray with WD40 then wash as usual. This works great for all my grease stains. (01/04/2005)

By Leanne

Try Dawn dish soap. When I have what seems to be impossible grease stains, I liberally spread Dawn, wait 5 minutes and wash. I have never had a stain get passed the Dawn dishsoap. (01/04/2005)

By Karen

If it is on something you do not want to wash, try putting powder on the stain. Let it set for several hours and brush it off. Repeat until oil/grease is absorbed and gone. (01/04/2005)

By toni k.

Spray and Wash works for me. Spray it on, wait an hour, wash like normal. (01/22/2007)

By Mandee

Yes, Dawn dish liquid or Coca Cola. Both are great stain relievers for grease. (09/09/2007)

By Mary

Try using lighter fuel, it actually says on the bottle that its great for removing grease, oil, and tar. (02/01/2008)

By Sacha

Leather will eventually dissipate oil and grease of its own accord. An excess can be carefully removed from durable leathers with mineral spirits or kerosene on a cloth. (Don't use anything highly flammable like gasoline or cigarette lighter fluid, and always ensure adequate ventilation until fumes are gone.) (10/23/2008)

By Red Neck

Gasoline. I used it several times for the many times. I got grease gunk on different outfits. (02/24/2009)

By Negi

Woman removing a Grease stain.
Removing Grease Stains from Clothing
A mechanic pouring transmission fluid into a funnel.
Removing Transmission Fluid from Clothes
grease stain on carpet
Cleaning Grease Stains on Carpet
A woman eating a salad in a wool sweater.
Removing Food Grease from Wool Clothing
cleaning grease off wallpaper
Cleaning Grease Off Wallpaper
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 5:50:25 PM on 10.0.1.151 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.