Removing Iron Burn Marks on Clothing

A too hot iron can leave scorch marks on clothing. This is a guide about removing iron burn marks on clothing.

February 21, 2017 Flag

I have used an iron which was too hot on a black and cream dress. The black from the dress has gone onto the cream and it will not come off. Is there anything I can use to remove the marks please?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here is some advice from this website:https://www.ref … s-e9400bcae37d6a

It's hard to know if it will work because the mark isn't fresh and you didn't say what material your dress was made of.

As Judy said, you haven't specified the material or if the stain has been set for a while.

One of your options is to buy fabric paint, another (if you're good at sewing) is to replace the cream portion (with any colour you like).

The type of material means a lot in a question like this but I do not think you are describing scorch marks (?).

I would recommend you take this dress to a reliable dry cleaners and ask if there is anyway to remove this mark.

April 16, 2011 Flag

How do I get an iron print out of knit pants from using too hot of an iron?

By Virginia May from Hot Springs, VA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am so sorry but you can't :-( Is the burn mark on a portion where you might be able to dress it up with a cute patch or some embroidery? Or lower on the leg where you can turn the slacks in to a pair of shorts or a pair of capris?

You will have burned and melted the fibers. This is not something that you can fix, except to cover it up. You could check in the archives here on Thriftyfun, as some maintain they can get a scorch mark out if it isn't very bad. I wouldn't get my hopes up, unfortunately.

April 12, 2016 Flag

I was wondering if anyone knows how to repair a polyester disco shirt? I slightly scorch it using an iron. I know that I should have not have done so. Or maybe the iron was hot. Anyways I "totally love" the shirt and paid a lot for the shirt, it's vintage and as you all know it's one of a kind. I know it's almost impossible for me to get another. It now has a medium hole in the lower area of the shirt.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 1, 2016 Flag

How can I remove an iron impression from a nylon blend fabric?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 13, 2008 Flag

Is there a way to remove a burn from the iron from a white dress shirt?

Tina from Bristol, CT

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If it's a "scorch" mark from an iron that was too hot & didn't really penetrate the fabric, you can bleach it out using hydrogen peroxide and a press cloth! It's a gentle bleaching process that can be repeated until the stain is removed.

Try hanging the shirt in the sun for a day. Good Luck!

The burn is on a black pair of pants that is 95% polyester and 5% spandex. Just want to be clear abouth the bleaching with hydrogen peroxide.

February 12, 2008 Flag

I burnt a black cotton dress with a too hot iron, can I fix it? Help!

Maureen from Harrison, NJ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You didn't mention where the burn mark was. Maybe you can purchase a decorative patch in the sewing dept. of a store and sew it on the burn mark giving the dress a new look.

Put an iron on patch on it from fabric store, good luck.

September 2, 2011 Flag

How do I repair a scorched spot on a nylon shirt?

By CM

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Well depending where it is and/or how big it is-you could embellish it with a pin or button design or patchwork & embroidery with lace, buttons, sequins,etc. Or store bought patches: flowers, butterfly's, birds, etc. I don't know how to get rid of it or even if you can. I've saved a few things with this method from holes, and pulls in fabric & stains.

My solution is to cover them up. If it is in a strange spot like in the middle, put a scattered pattern on it (1 here,1 there) to make it even & balanced & no one will know. You will most likely end up with something you really like, & it's a chance to be creative. If you don't want to do this you can try "Ask Helowise " (I think at : Good Housekeeping.com or Ladies Home Journal.com). I hope this helps. : )

December 9, 2014 Flag

I tried to iron nylon today and it turned red. Is there anyway to fix the scorch marks?

By Ag

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 10, 2005 Flag

An iron was put on a wool sweater and left a mark which has the wool flat and is slightly noticeable. Could anyone advise if ther is anything I could do to get the wool back to normal.

Betty Halifax

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hello Betty,

It's quite unlikely to totally restore iron marks on wool but if there was any scorch on the wool, use an emery board to gently rub it away.

Also, if it's a bit flat- try cutting a potato in half and leaving one half on the mark overnight. Next morning remove it and try to buff up the pile.

If this doesn't work, there isn't much else you can do i'm afraid, but i hope i am proven wrong!

Best of luck.

Monique x

Monique your tip of removing light scorch mark on woolen jumper worked so well actually i used a glass emery board so no mess either !!!

A burn mark from a clothes iron.
Repairing Burn Marks on Clothing
Consumer Advice Clothing RepairingMay 2, 2014
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
hot coffee pot placed on counter by waitress
Removing Heat Stains and Burn Marks on Formica
Ironing Polyester
Removing Shiny Iron Marks on Polyester Clothing
A pregnant woman rubbing cream in her belly to prevent stretch marks.
Preventing Stretch Marks
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 3:58:10 PM on 10.0.0.173 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.