Removing Iron Burn Marks on Clothing

Category Repairing
A burn mark from a clothes iron.
A too hot iron can leave scorch marks on clothing. This is a guide about removing iron burn marks on clothing.

I have used an iron which was too hot on a black and cream dress. The black from the dress has gone onto the cream and it will not come off. Is there anything I can use to remove the marks please?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Here is some advice from this website:https://www.ref  s-e9400bcae37d6a

It's hard to know if it will work because the mark isn't fresh and you didn't say what material your dress was made of.

As Judy said, you haven't specified the material or if the stain has been set for a while.

One of your options is to buy fabric paint, another (if you're good at sewing) is to replace the cream portion (with any colour you like).

The type of material means a lot in a question like this but I do not think you are describing scorch marks (?).

I would recommend you take this dress to a reliable dry cleaners and ask if there is anyway to remove this mark.

if you have actually managed to terminally scorch your dress, especially if you have a more synthetic fabric, there's not much you can do, unfortunately. But a dry cleaner and other fabric expert can provide ideas on what to do.

The dress is a synthetic fabric. I didn't scorch the dress with the iron. When I ironed it I ironed from black on the dress to the cream part & the iron must have been too hot & black transferred onto the cream part of the dress which is what I am unable to get off.

How do I get an iron print out of knit pants from using too hot of an iron?

By Virginia May from Hot Springs, VA

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Anonymous

I am so sorry but you can't :-( Is the burn mark on a portion where you might be able to dress it up with a cute patch or some embroidery? Or lower on the leg where you can turn the slacks in to a pair of shorts or a pair of capris?

You will have burned and melted the fibers. This is not something that you can fix, except to cover it up. You could check in the archives here on Thriftyfun, as some maintain they can get a scorch mark out if it isn't very bad. I wouldn't get my hopes up, unfortunately.

How do you remove hot iron marks from polyester?

By Netty from Defiance, OH

Answers

This is a burn. Burnt Poly does not get undone.

Anonymous

Sorry but there is no way to remove a burn mark no matter what type of fabric. :-(

Anonymous

In the 40s they'd use old coffee grinds. Set on fabric for a while and then steam iron with a cover cloth

Use nail polish remover.....the stain will be gone immediately. Works every time!

Will it really work? I'm gonna try..!!!

Is there a way to remove a burn from the iron from a white dress shirt?

Tina from Bristol, CT

Answers

If it's a "scorch" mark from an iron that was too hot & didn't really penetrate the fabric, you can bleach it out using hydrogen peroxide and a press cloth! It's a gentle bleaching process that can be repeated until the stain is removed.

Try hanging the shirt in the sun for a day. Good Luck!

The burn is on a black pair of pants that is 95% polyester and 5% spandex. Just want to be clear abouth the bleaching with hydrogen peroxide.

I burnt a black cotton dress with a too hot iron, can I fix it? Help!

Maureen from Harrison, NJ

You didn't mention where the burn mark was. Maybe you can purchase a decorative patch in the sewing dept. of a store and sew it on the burn mark giving the dress a new look.

Put an iron on patch on it from fabric store, good luck.

An iron was put on a wool sweater and left a mark which has the wool flat and is slightly noticeable. Could anyone advise if ther is anything I could do to get the wool back to normal.

Betty Halifax

Answers

Hello Betty,

It's quite unlikely to totally restore iron marks on wool but if there was any scorch on the wool, use an emery board to gently rub it away.

Also, if it's a bit flat- try cutting a potato in half and leaving one half on the mark overnight. Next morning remove it and try to buff up the pile.

If this doesn't work, there isn't much else you can do i'm afraid, but i hope i am proven wrong!

Best of luck.

Monique x

Monique your tip of removing light scorch mark on woolen jumper worked so well actually i used a glass emery board so no mess either !!!

How do I repair a scorched spot on a nylon shirt?

By CM

Well depending where it is and/or how big it is-you could embellish it with a pin or button design or patchwork & embroidery with lace, buttons, sequins,etc. Or store bought patches: flowers, butterfly's, birds, etc. I don't know how to get rid of it or even if you can. I've saved a few things with this method from holes, and pulls in fabric & stains.

My solution is to cover them up. If it is in a strange spot like in the middle, put a scattered pattern on it (1 here,1 there) to make it even & balanced & no one will know. You will most likely end up with something you really like, & it's a chance to be creative. If you don't want to do this you can try "Ask Helowise " (I think at : Good Housekeeping.com or Ladies Home Journal.com). I hope this helps. : )

I was wondering if anyone knows how to repair a polyester disco shirt? I slightly scorch it using an iron. I know that I should have not have done so. Or maybe the iron was hot. Anyways I "totally love" the shirt and paid a lot for the shirt, it's vintage and as you all know it's one of a kind. I know it's almost impossible for me to get another. It now has a medium hole in the lower area of the shirt.

This is a guide about removing shiny iron marks on polyester clothing. The shiny marks left on polyester clothing by a too hot iron are quite likely scorched or melted synthetic fibers.

Ironing Polyester

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

How can I remove a press mark on pants?

By Rosie

Answers:

Iron Mark on Clothing

What is the fabric? If any synthetics, just toss the garment. If cotton, you might try repeated washing. Odds are, it's shot. (02/22/2010)

By PIKKA

Iron Mark on Clothing

I removed scorch marks, if that's what you're talking about, with peroxide. Blot it onto the fabric and put a pressing cloth, like a flour sack towel or an old pillowcase or sheet. Then iron with the appropriate temperature. It's amazing. It may take a couple of tries. Let it set for a minute, then press. I rescued a linen tablecloth with old scorch marks and also a pair of my husband's grey summerweight wool slacks. I'd try that before ditching the pants. (02/27/2010)

By Thrifty Me

How do you get an iron scorch mark off of a shirt? I have tried everything possible, and it still won't come off.

By ChrisaA. from Bluefield, WV

Answers:

Scorch Mark From an Iron

Soak it in vinegar then hang it in sunshine. You may need to do this a few times. It works, good luck. (09/09/2009)

By kffrmw88

My iron accidentally tipped over when I wasn't looking and scorched a brand new cotton shirt. I tried Oxi-Clean and peroxide, and it didn't get the scorch mark out. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Andrea from New York

Answers:

Scorch Mark From an Iron

This is from the Hodgson Mill website
http://www.hodgsonmill.com/

Removing scorches can be made easier by wetting the scorched area and covering with Corn Starch. Brush excess off when dry. (01/24/2007)

By Greg1796

Scorch Mark From an Iron

Try saturating a white cloth with hydrogen peroxide and placing the cloth on top of the scorch spot, then iron on top of the wet cloth with a hot iron. Let us know if this works. (01/27/2007)

By Sharon

Scorch Mark From an Iron

Sharon- I scorched my favorite white cotton blouse. Used your suggestion of the peroxide and white cloth, and it worked beautifully. Thank you. (06/04/2007)

By Laura

Scorch Mark From an Iron

The thermostat on my iron malfunctioned today and left a scorched imprint of the iron on my brand new cotton continental quilt cover. I immediately soaked the stain in cold running water and then searched for something I thought would work. I had a bottle of baby bottle sterilizing fluid (Sold under brand name of Milton in the UK or most supermarkets have their own version). I put a plate under the stain to act as a reservoir and gently brushed the fluid onto the scorch mark with a pastry brush.

The stain began to fade within seconds and was gone within a couple of minutes but did not affect the striped pattern. I then rinsed well and popped the cover back in the washing machine. The sterilizing fluid contains 5% sodium hypochlorite and is also brilliant for cleaning kitchen sinks and removing tea and wine stains from kitchen worktops. But beware - any splashes will leave bleach spots on your clothing. (06/23/2007)

By Pat - in UK

If you accidentally scorch a cotton shirt with an iron, you may be able to save it. Quickly put the shirt in ice cold water and let it soak overnight. Then treat the stain and wash as normal.

I was wanting to know does anybody know how to get an iron print out of a polyester black skirt? I tried and I didn't know if there was a way. Thanks,

Kim from Alabama

Answers:

Iron Mark on Clothing

This worked for my daughter. She was ironing a transfer on to a white T-shirt and scorched the fabric. She put some lemon juice on it and laid it on the window sill in the sunlight. It gradually lightened then disappeared. I'm not sure how it would affect a colored fabric though. the T-shirt was white. (12/10/2004)

By jeangnome46

Iron Mark on Clothing

Try peroxide. Sponge it on using a cotton ball. Test first inside hem or on a seam. (12/11/2004)

By Bettie

Iron Mark on Clothing

Use a 50-50 solution of white vinegar and water. Soak a cloth in it, place over the iron mark and press. We used this tip in my custom clothing business. Also a great way to set creases in a garment. (08/14/2005)

Load More