Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Odors From New Furniture

0 0EmailFollow
New green sofa.

New furniture often is delivered to your home complete with its own array of odors, coming from the chemicals used in the manufacture of the furniture and upholstery materials. This is a guide about removing odors from new furniture.

Here are questions related to Removing Odors From New Furniture.

Question: Bathroom Vanity Unit Has Bad Smell

White vainty with black sink top.The unit is 6 months old from Harvey Norman. I think it is melamine. It has a terrible chemical type smell. I have washed it and put perfumed things in drawers, but nothing helps.

By Carol H. from Sydney

Most Recent Answer

By Maddy06/01/2012

Try talking with the place you bought it from they might have an idea or maybe you can try some Baking Soda, I figure if it works in the fridge why not your cabinet, put a box underneath and on top of the cabinet and see what happens after about a week, can't hurt to try it.

Question: New Children's Furniture Smells Bad

I bought a kid's bedroom 10 days ago, when they installed it, and before cleaning it, I started smelling a very bad smell. It didn't smell like lacquer or chemical toxic smell. We contacted the company and they said no one else complained. Is there any solution to remove the smell? I can't put the kids inside I am afraid of toxic damage. Thank you.

By Zeina from Lebanon

Most Recent Answer

By Lorraine [20]11/13/2009

Oh, that's the glue that they are using and also the materials that they are making the furniture with. Make sure you stand strong on this and make them take it back. All this composite material that they make some of the furniture with are toxic.

Did you hear about the people who are in those FEMA trailers in Louisiana and how they are all getting sick from the fumes from the walls that were made in China? Don't expose your kids like you already said you won't their lives are way too important.

Question: New Furniture Smells Like Mildew

I have lived now for a year and a half in our new custom built home. Everything is new, but for the last few months I have been smelling a mildew smell in the bedroom. We have pin pointed it to the Cherry wood of the dresser and headboard of the bed. The furniture store laughed me off since we have had it for over a year now. Any suggestions on why the wood would start to smell or could this become a health issue? I am not sure where to go with this. Thanks.

By Eyeris_angel from Hanover, PA

Most Recent Answer

By Mary 11/08/2009

I've got the very same thing going on right now. I purchased a new dining room table at a clearance furniture outlet in April. Now 6 months later, I've been smelling mildew in my dining room and have finally tracked it to the table (the last thing I thought to check!). I can't return it because the sale was final. The table is not finished on the underside so I'm going to try flipping the table and spraying the underside with lysol or some anti fungal agent. I've never heard of anything like this happening before. If anyone has any suggestions that wouldn't involve refinishing the table or taking it outside as I live in a condo, I'd love to hear them.

Solutions: Removing Odors From New Furniture

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!