Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Pet Urine Stains from Hardwood Floors

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
A dog laying on a hardwood floor.

When you have pets accidents happen, even on your beautiful hardwood flooring. This is a guide about removing pet urine stains from hardwood floors.

Solutions: Removing Pet Urine Stains from Hardwood Floors

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Baking Soda For Urine on Wood Floors

The best idea for soaking pet urine from the cracks in the wooden floor is to sprinkle baking soda on the boards where needed. Leave it for an hour or two and you will actually see the urine sucked up like a straw. You must repeat this a few times.

By Susan

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Removing Pet Urine Stains from Hardwood Floors.

Question: Black Stains on Hardwood Floors

Stains on floors.I pulled up the carpet in my living room today and I had black spots on the floor that smelt like pee. I need a solution to kill the smell take the black spots away.

By Nakita from Morehead City, NC

Most Recent Answer

By alexajbolton10/08/2013

I had this when we bought our home too. There is a bottle of cleaning solution that you can buy at Lowes (probably home dept too) I can't remember the name of it, it comes in a black jug. It has a I skull on it and it had "40" in the name. Anyway its a very strong cleaning solution but the smell is very mild, pour it on your floors with very hot water and take a deck scrubbing brush to it as it will take the stickiness and most of the stain up. to get rid of it completely you will have to sand and refinish. your floors.

Just remember to dry your floors quickly with a towel when finished. you don't want your floors absorbing that water.
Hope this helps! Good luck.

Question: Cat Urine Stain on Hardwood Floor

About 2 months ago we paid a lot to have our hardwood floors refinished. Now I have a black stain on the floor from cat urine. Is there any way of getting the cat urine black stain off the wood floor without ruining the finish? Thank you for any help.

Most Recent Answer

By Tina K [1]12/02/2013

If the cat is not using the litter box, take it to the vet. It probably has a uti. If this is an old odor attracting your cat, you must get rid of the odor. I would try Nature's miracle. Spray liberally onto the stain. Keep it wet. At first it may smell worse, but after a few days, it should completely remove the smell and most of the stain. After initial application, wet clean cloth with Nature's miracle and keep it over the stain. This will help keep the application from drying out. Then, if your floors are oiled instead of polyurethane, it will be an easy fix. If not, you may have to sand and redo that area. You must make sure all urine is gone first! A black light will tell you.

Question: Dog Urine on Hardwood Floor

I just pulled out the carpeting and padding from our rental house bedrooms and living room and I have tons of large urine spots on the hardwood floor. I'm sick about it. Please help. i don't have any idea where to start.
Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks.

By Mary Ann F.

Most Recent Answer

By April [179]06/20/2014

I'm in the same situation. What I have found is helping, but is a slow process, is to put hydrogen peroxide on the dark spots, then after 30 minutes blot it up (it will be yellow). Do it over and over, and slowly they will lighten up.

Question: Dog Urine Stains and Odor on Hardwood Floor

Our dog was peeing on the area rug in our dining room which went unnoticed for a period of time. When discovered we took the area rug in for cleaning, but found dark stains on the hard wood floor underneath the rug and pad. Any suggestions for removal of spots and smell will be greatly appreciated?

By Jacqueline

Question: Using Peroxide to Clean Pet Stain on Wood Floors

Pet urine stain on wood floor.Will hydrogen peroxide bleach the timber floor lighter? We have dark mahogany floors. Will hydrogen peroxide also damage the sealant so that we'll have to re-varnish the whole floor? I'm just worried that the spot will still be noticeable if its colour changes.

By Linda AH

Question: Getting Pee Stains Out of Hardwood Flooring

I foster dogs and one peed on my hardwood floors. I have used some cleaners and it still doesn't come out.
Any ideas short of sanding and refinishing the floor?

By Liana

Question: Removing Pet Stains and Odor from Hardwood Floors

I have oak floors that have been stained by dogs. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could wash the smells out?

By broadway29 from Terrasse Vaudreuil, Quebec

Most Recent Answer

By edward1956 [1]08/23/2011

Just mop and sanitize it.

Question: Removing Pet Stains from Hardwood Flooring

I had a tenant, had being the key word here, with a no pet lease. Three dogs and a cat later, my hardwood floors are a mess. I do not think the animals were let out, it is disgusting. I am hoping for a Nature's Miracle recipe for hardwood floors. Thank you!

By Lillian D.

Most Recent Answer

By Gary T06/02/2011

I had the same problem with a cat. It took a while to realize that the cat was peeing on the rug and that it was soaking into the hardwood underneath. When we lifted the rug, there were black spots in several places. Having removed the rug, the hardwood floors looked nice enough to try to restore, so I tried oxalic acid and other recommended remedies. The spots lighten up some, but in the end the spots never clear up enough to look decent. You will likely need to get the floors sanded and refinished.

Question: Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

How can pet urine stains be removed from wood floors?

By Terry from Kings Park, NY

Most Recent Answer

By reneedc07/09/2011

Please tell me more about the peroxide soaked paper towels for pet urine stains. I rent and have an elderly dog with bladder issues and when I pulled up my rug today there is a rather large black stain on the hardwood floors. I need to clean this up before the end of our lease. Please help!

Question: Does Dog Urine Stain Hardwood?

I'm getting a new puppy and have all hardwood. It is an old house so the hardwood is real wood not the new laminate they have. Will urine cause any stains on the floor? Even if I should get it up quickly? I can't potty train her for another month because she is only 2 months old. Thanks.

By Cindy

Most Recent Answer

By Amy Crowley [1]08/05/2009

Every time that your dog goes into the yard and does the deed, immediately hand her/him a treat. This only takes four or five times. I broke two in a week with this. You can pick up underpads in the incontinence section of discount stores and place them by the door if you don't get there in time, and in a crate so you don't have to wash as much. They have them in pet stores, but the are twice the price.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Pet Urine Stains On Hardwood Floors

Does anyone know how to remove set in pet stains (urine) from oak hardwood floors? The stains are dark, almost black. They are in a rental property and may be up to a year old. Thank you.

Thriftyone

Answers:
Urine Stains - Hardwood floors 05/29/2005
While finding this site, checking with wood flooring stores, and the local PetSmart, We accidentally found a solution to the urine stain problem:

Fill a squirt bottle with full strength Hydrogen Peroxide from the drug store. (The solution is about 3.5% out of the bottle). Squirt the stain and let rest for about 1 minute. You will now be able to easily scrape off the varnish. Apply the solution again liberally. Let it react for at least 2 hours. Depending on how old and how dense the stain, you may have to sand the spot and reapply the peroxide several times. Then it will be necessary of course to refinish the spot.

We have just sanded and refinished a large hardwood floor that has been under a wall to wall carpet for 14 years. Imagine our delight to see blackened urine stains fade away with this process...

By Mary from Denver
- - 06/07/2005
they said PEROXIDE, not bleach. Peroxide bleaches your hair, but it's not CHLORINE bleach, which gets your whites clean.
By la escritora
- - 06/25/2005
I gave hydrogen peroxide a try and to my shock it works! It is slow going and I am not finished yet but so far have had good results. :-)
By Autumn
- - 10/29/2005
Tried the hydrogen peroxide. It works! I used it on oak cabinets that the little guy got into and peed in.
By Ann

Can anyone help me with cat urine stains and smell on hardwood floors? I plan on refinishing them so anything will help.

Ginny from Quincy, MA

RE: Pet Urine Stains On Hardwood Floors

I tried the hydrogen peroxide and covered it with clear plastic wrap to hold the moisture in longer and when I woke up the next morning (approx. 9hrs later), almost all the dark black was gone. Now the stain is a faint green hue. Repeating to see if the rest will come out. (07/02/2006)

By GRL

RE: Pet Urine Stains On Hardwood Floors

Try the urine remover here - http://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Urine_Remover.htm

It will remove any staining and kill the odor (07/13/2006)

By ben123

RE: Using bleach/water solution to damp mop old hardwood floor

Can't you use a bleach/water solution to clean/sterilize old hardwood floors, before going over them with a dust mop and liquid gold? (07/14/2006)

By Kia

RE: Pet Urine Stains On Hardwood Floors

We are getting ready to sell our condo, which has the "pre-finished" (meaning not enough varnish to matter) oak floors and we had a couple pet urine stains and a couple places where someone put a damp mop and left it (our son did it-not me!!). I tried just bleach and it helped some, but dark stains along the cracks still showed, so I tried one further step: I poured some hydrogen peroxide on the stain and let it sit for a couple minutes, then I poured full strength bleach over it, combining the two liquids. It REALLY foams! Be careful and don't wear good clothes, or they might get bleached! I left the foamy stuff on for about 5-10 minutes, then took my string mop and mopped most of it off, leaving it slightly damp. It looked better right away, but by the next morning (I did it in the evening), the stains were gone. I don't know if the combination is doing the job, or just one or the other worked, but I'm not complaining. A long time ago, I bought a commercial wood bleaching kit, and it was a solution of lye, which you sprayed on the wood to soften it, and then some strong peroxide, which caused MAJOR foaming, and did the bleaching. I thought that maybe this might work too, being two strong oxidizing solutions. (07/17/2006)

By Susan H

Editor's Note: Mixing bleach and hydrogen peroxide will make toxic chlorine gas and could cause injuries. Please use caution and do research before mixing different cleaners.

How can I get pet urine stains up from a hardwood floor?

How do I remove pet urine stains from my hardwood floor?

Lisa from Rockford

Answer:

RE: Pet Urine Stains On Hardwood Floors

Regular old cat litter, piled on the stain. I used the clumping kind, you could literally see the litter turn yellow as it soaked it up.

I had to do it a couple of times, but it worked for me. Anything liquid is just going to make the wood wetter, defeating the purpose. (11/07/2008)

By Brooke

Archive: Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

How do I get black urine spots from my dogs out of my hardwood floor?

How do I get black urine stains, from my dog, off a hardwood floor?

How do I get cat urine and stool stains off of a real wood floor?

By Gail from UK

RE: Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

I'd try vinegar and steel wool. Then re-stain that area if necessary. (12/08/2009)

By jtithof

How do you remove a dog urine stain from a hardwood floor?

By Judy