Removing Pet Urine Stains from Hardwood Floors

When you have pets accidents happen, even on your beautiful hardwood flooring. This is a guide about removing pet urine stains from hardwood floors.

A dog laying on a hardwood floor.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have two Dachshunds that have made it their business to ruin me. I don't have the money to replace these parquet tiles and knowing the maintenance of my building they will charge me three times what it's really worth. How can you clean up and get out dog urine stains and odors from this type of flooring. I'm desperate! Please someone help!

By Jbgnyc

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi joy, I too have tried so many tricks including vinegar water mixture to remove the dog urine stains and odor from the hardwood floor of our 30 year old home. Finally it was my husband who bought me a Hoover FloorMate Cleaner 64oz from the nearby shop here in Canada. It really worked well. You too may try once.

Read More Answers...

I'm getting a new puppy and have all hardwood. It is an old house so the hardwood is real wood not the new laminate they have. Will urine cause any stains on the floor? Even if I should get it up quickly? I can't potty train her for another month because she is only 2 months old. Thanks.

By Cindy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Every time that your dog goes into the yard and does the deed, immediately hand her/him a treat. This only takes four or five times. I broke two in a week with this. You can pick up underpads in the incontinence section of discount stores and place them by the door if you don't get there in time, and in a crate so you don't have to wash as much. They have them in pet stores, but the are twice the price.

Read More Answers...

I just pulled out the carpeting and padding from our rental house bedrooms and living room and I have tons of large urine spots on the hardwood floor. I'm sick about it. Please help. i don't have any idea where to start.
Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks.

By Mary Ann F.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You mentioned hydrogen peroxide to remove pet stains from wood floors. This does work, but a couple notes; unless you said otherwise you are probably using household 3% solution. You can purchase near 100% peroxide at Home Depot or some such. But be careful, at that strength it will burn you, and you are looking at bleaching the wood. Which means the finish, or any color stain are all dissolved, along with the stain hopefully. The wood will need to be refinished. This is not to detour but FYI.

When I bought my home one floor was heavily stained. I finish floors for a living, so I bleached the whole area, stained it a darker color and refinished the floor. At that point it was unnoticeable. Since, I have re-sanded the area and gone to a natural finish. The few remaining blotches are difficult to distinguish from the natural variation in wood color and grain.

This was the result starting from deep old heavy pet stains. Lesser stains may be easier to deal with, needing only local light sanding and a little touch up refinish. It stained because, whatever, got through the finish and into the wood grain.

Also, when we tear out a carpet to install wood, oft times pet odor has gotten into the sub-floor (the ply wood or particle board underneath the carpet). I can still smell it after the wood has been lain over the top, the polyurethane may seal the odor in, but you may consider painting KILNS or some other stain cover to seal the sub-floor before wood instillation.

One beauty of wood is that it is durable, with care can last years and years, is low maintenance, and for the most part can always be fixed.

Enjoy cBr

Read More Answers...

I have a old home and am trying to do work on the floor. It has a whole lot of pet stains. I want to keep the floor. How do I get it out? Please help. No work on them has been done for 25 years.

By Anna M.J

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We had a similar problem in a new to us 50 year old house that we only saw on summer days with all doors open. Upon moving in, we found that the previous owner's dog left dark stains that smelled very bad and were all over the house. There were also older stains. After many valiant tries to clean out the stains and odor using all types of cleaners, all failed as the stains and especially the odor had seeped down into the wood. We finally replaced the entire oak floor. We filed against the previous owner who eventually reimbursed the replacement costs. Good Luck!

Stains on floors.I pulled up the carpet in my living room today and I had black spots on the floor that smelt like pee. I need a solution to kill the smell take the black spots away.

By Nakita from Morehead City, NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had this when we bought our home too. There is a bottle of cleaning solution that you can buy at Lowes (probably home dept too) I can't remember the name of it, it comes in a black jug. It has a I skull on it and it had "40" in the name. Anyway its a very strong cleaning solution but the smell is very mild, pour it on your floors with very hot water and take a deck scrubbing brush to it as it will take the stickiness and most of the stain up. to get rid of it completely you will have to sand and refinish. your floors.

Just remember to dry your floors quickly with a towel when finished. you don't want your floors absorbing that water.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

About 2 months ago we paid a lot to have our hardwood floors refinished. Now I have a black stain on the floor from cat urine. Is there any way of getting the cat urine black stain off the wood floor without ruining the finish? Thank you for any help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If the cat is not using the litter box, take it to the vet. It probably has a UTI. If this is an old odor attracting your cat, you must get rid of the odor. I would try Nature's Miracle enzyme cleaner. Spray liberally onto the stain. Keep it wet. At first it may smell worse, but after a few days, it should completely remove the smell and most of the stain. After initial application, wet clean cloth with Nature's Miracle and keep it over the stain. This will help keep the application from drying out. Then, if your floors are oiled instead of polyurethane, it will be an easy fix. If not, you may have to sand and redo that area. You must make sure all urine is gone first! A black light will tell you.

My oak floor is stained by my dog being sick on floor in the night. It is dark brown in color and the size of a medallion. Can I ever remove this? I have wiped it over and it doesn't budge.

By Sally

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Is the oak sealed? If so you can buy wood cleaning products and mix with water. If it's sealed you can also try white wine vinegar with water. If it's not sealed the trick is to use as little water as possible. Water can warp oak.

Also it's important to mop with the grain.

How do I repair pet stains on a wood floor? Is there a way to restain just were the pet stains are?

By Fisher

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We had animals the past 27 years and had run into problems with only one house we rented. We used this product called odor be gone , you soak the wood once it drys you paint this other product called kills . This works permanently. They also make odor be gone in a carpet shampoo I still mix some odor be gone into the shampoo to make it stronger it works great . You may have to repeat it a few times but it will work. You do have to treat the wood and replace padding for best results. You can find this at Home Depo , that's where we found it. Good luck Penny Berry.

How can pet urine stains be removed from wood floors?

By Terry from Kings Park, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please tell me more about the peroxide soaked paper towels for pet urine stains. I rent and have an elderly dog with bladder issues and when I pulled up my rug today there is a rather large black stain on the hardwood floors. I need to clean this up before the end of our lease. Please help!

Read More Answers...

The best idea for soaking pet urine from the cracks in the wooden floor is to sprinkle baking soda on the boards where needed. Leave it for an hour or two and you will actually see the urine sucked up like a straw. You must repeat this a few times.

By Susan

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had a tenant, had being the key word here, with a no pet lease. Three dogs and a cat later, my hardwood floors are a mess. I do not think the animals were let out, it is disgusting. I am hoping for a Nature's Miracle recipe for hardwood floors. Thank you!

By Lillian D.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had the same problem with a cat. It took a while to realize that the cat was peeing on the rug and that it was soaking into the hardwood underneath. When we lifted the rug, there were black spots in several places. Having removed the rug, the hardwood floors looked nice enough to try to restore, so I tried oxalic acid and other recommended remedies. The spots lighten up some, but in the end the spots never clear up enough to look decent. You will likely need to get the floors sanded and refinished.

Read More Answers...

I have oak floors that have been stained by dogs. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could wash the smells out?

By broadway29 from Terrasse Vaudreuil, Quebec

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just mop and sanitize it.

How do I get dog urine off a wood floor?

By Mary from High Point, NC

Answers:

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I just discovered some black cat urine stains on my hardwood floors (hidden under a box for weeks!). These topnailed, red oak floors were refinished and coated with polyurethane (Varathane) about 25 years ago, so I guess there are gaps or thin areas in the polyurethane that let the urine through. (Despite the fact that this is in an area that gets little foot traffic or wear, and we are a shoe-free household.)

I read the archives here, and so I tried the peroxide soaked paper towels for a day and overnight, without sanding/ removing the polyurethane. Will I have to sand the polyurethane finish off to have any real chance of removing these stains myself?

To those who successfully lightened or removed such stains with peroxide: were your floors finished with polyurethane, with another sealer, or with lacquer or just wax? If you have personal experience with removing stains, I'd appreciate any tips you can offer!

By Dina from CA

Answers:

Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

Try using a Magic Eraser; see if that doesn't do the trick for you! And be sure that the hydrogen peroxide that you are using is NOT the "topical solution" which is simply an extremely watered down version of the real thing that is out on the market now! I found the real thing at Walmart Pharmacy; that's the only place I found it! (09/18/2010)

By MzScarlett

Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

I am one of the people who recommended the peroxide. I use the ones that can be found everywhere and it does the trick. I don't think that you need to get the other one.

Anyway, I think that you will find with repeated applications of the peroxide, it will lighten up a lot more. (09/21/2010)

By kathyj311

Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

Clean+Green: Wood and Tile Cleaner, Odor Eliminator and Stain (10/14/2010)

By MRSCCB

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please help! I have a cat urine stain on hardwood floor that was hidden underneath a box. It has blackened spots on the floor and I don't know how to remove it.

By venajoy

Answers:

Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

I'm sad to say I don't think there is a way to remove the black stain. (07/23/2010)

By Merlene

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Dog urine soaked through the carpet. I removed the carpet to refinish the hardwood floors underneath and there are black stains. Help.

By Carolyn

Answers:

Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

Try peroxide or oxi-clean products. (06/10/2010)

By T&T Grandma

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How can I remove the dark stain left by pet urine on my hardwood floor?

By Margaret from Niceville, FL

Answers:

Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

I wonder if real mayonnaise would take it out? I have never tried it for removing rings off of tables, so I am not sure if it even works. (04/04/2010)

By Akilah

Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

We had two week old cat urine stains that we finally found on the 90 year old top nailed white oak floor. The same two locations were peed on multiple times, so they were both dark and deep stains. There are lots of things you can try. I read a lot online, and just started trying things. Always test what you try in an obscure location, in case you do not like the result.

First I used Petastic odor and stain remover for cat urine, which is the same formula as Nature's Miracle. After two applications, which were each left there for an hour, there was still a dark stain and odor. After much online research, I decided to try 3 percent hydrogen peroxide, which I put directly on the floor. This lightened it some. I then put on hydrogen peroxide mixed with baking soda, in no particular proportion. This created small oxidation bubbles, and I could see and smell urine being lifted to the surface. I rinsed this clean, and used Petastic again. I rinsed that clean, and let it dry overnight. This morning, the stain is substantially lighter, and looks a little "bleached". It smells a little of urine, and a little of Petastic when I put my nose right next to the stains.

The floor will definitely change quite a bit in the hours after applying peroxide, so you may want to be more patient than me and just put one application on per day.

I'm enclosing a photo of the current state of one stain, prior to any further application or sanding. This was almost black when I started.

I may put some peroxide on the places that are still a little dark, and next we will sand it and put some sealer on it. In a few years, the floors throughout the house will be refinished, so it will be fully addressed then. Hopefully we won't have to replace floor boards, but that is a possibility.

This happened because I was distracted for a week or two and did not provide an optimum litter box experience for my two cats. Always keep the litter box clean! (06/03/2010)

By murrcat

RE: Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you get pet urine stains out of hardwood floor?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you remove a dog urine stain from a hardwood floor?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I get cat urine and stool stains off of a real wood floor?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I get black urine stains, from my dog, off a hardwood floor?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I get black urine spots from my dogs out of my hardwood floor?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I remove pet urine stains from my hardwood floor?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How can I get pet urine stains up from a hardwood floor?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Can anyone help me with cat urine stains and smell on hardwood floors?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does anyone know how to remove set in pet stains (urine) from oak hardwood floors?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsDecember 15, 2012
A kitten sitting on a wood floor.
Cleaning Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors
Red Chair on Hardwood Floor
Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 30, 2016 at 8:06:52 PM on 10.0.1.252 in 741 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.