Removing Pet Urine Stains from Hardwood Floors

Category Floors
A dog laying on a hardwood floor.
When you have pets accidents happen, even on your beautiful hardwood flooring. This is a guide about removing pet urine stains from hardwood floors.

The best idea for soaking pet urine from the cracks in the wooden floor is to sprinkle baking soda on the boards where needed. Leave it for an hour or two and you will actually see the urine sucked up like a straw. You must repeat this a few times.

By Susan

Read 2 Comments

I'm getting a new puppy and have all hardwood. It is an old house so the hardwood is real wood not the new laminate they have. Will urine cause any stains on the floor? Even if I should get it up quickly? I can't potty train her for another month because she is only 2 months old. Thanks.

By Cindy

Every time that your dog goes into the yard and does the deed, immediately hand her/him a treat. This only takes four or five times. I broke two in a week with this. You can pick up underpads in the incontinence section of discount stores and place them by the door if you don't get there in time, and in a crate so you don't have to wash as much. They have them in pet stores, but the are twice the price.

I pulled up the carpet in my living room today and I had black spots on the floor that smelt like pee. I need a solution to kill the smell take the black spots away.

By Nakita from Morehead City, NC

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I had the same problem. Read online to put peroxide on it and let set over night. .stain was gone next day. .Hope it works for you too.

About 2 months ago we paid a lot to have our hardwood floors refinished. Now I have a black stain on the floor from cat urine. Is there any way of getting the cat urine black stain off the wood floor without ruining the finish? Thank you for any help.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

If the cat is not using the litter box, take it to the vet. It probably has a UTI. If this is an old odor attracting your cat, you must get rid of the odor. I would try Nature's Miracle enzyme cleaner. Spray liberally onto the stain. Keep it wet. At first it may smell worse, but after a few days, it should completely remove the smell and most of the stain. After initial application, wet clean cloth with Nature's Miracle and keep it over the stain. This will help keep the application from drying out. Then, if your floors are oiled instead of polyurethane, it will be an easy fix. If not, you may have to sand and redo that area. You must make sure all urine is gone first! A black light will tell you.

What is the cheapest and most effective way to get human urine and fecal smell out of my hardwood floor?

Nature's Miracle is wonderful. Get it at Amazon or any pet store.

I had a tenant, had being the key word here, with a no pet lease. Three dogs and a cat later, my hardwood floors are a mess. I do not think the animals were let out, it is disgusting. I am hoping for a Nature's Miracle recipe for hardwood floors. Thank you!

By Lillian D.

Well I have to sat there are a lot of products out there I have not tried. This I can tell you; my hardwood floor in the entry room smelled of dog urine even after cleaning the rug and eventually removing the rug. (Not carpet). I tried the white vinegar and baking soda route first. All that did was make a mess. Still a bad odor. Then I ordered a product kit called SCOE 10X. I followed the online directions exactly and applied the product to my wood floor last night. Today I am pleased to say the odor is GONE!! This product is great! And no, I don't have any connection with this company other than being a consumer! Try it! It has a money back guarantee!!

How can pet urine stains be removed from wood floors?

By Terry from Kings Park, NY

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Please tell me more about the peroxide soaked paper towels for pet urine stains. I rent and have an elderly dog with bladder issues and when I pulled up my rug today there is a rather large black stain on the hardwood floors. I need to clean this up before the end of our lease. Please help!

I have oak floors that have been stained by dogs. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could wash the smells out?

By broadway29 from Terrasse Vaudreuil, Quebec

Use Nature's Miracle Urine Destroyer full strength. Pour or spray it directly on the stain. It worked on my hardwood floor. It removed the smell and stain. Do not dilute it. It is sold on line or in pet stores. Nothing else worked for me. Good luck.

I have a pool table on floorboards, but I put felt under the legs to prevent scratches. My cat has peed on it and left a big stain. Can anyone please tell me how to get the stain off? Thank you.

Anonymous

3% peroxide ,put in a spray bottle and let it set about an hour. Repeat over a few days and you should see a difference .

I have a old home and am trying to do work on the floor. It has a whole lot of pet stains. I want to keep the floor. How do I get it out? Please help. No work on them has been done for 25 years.

By Anna M.J

We had a similar problem in a new to us 50 year old house that we only saw on summer days with all doors open. Upon moving in, we found that the previous owner's dog left dark stains that smelled very bad and were all over the house. There were also older stains. After many valiant tries to clean out the stains and odor using all types of cleaners, all failed as the stains and especially the odor had seeped down into the wood. We finally replaced the entire oak floor. We filed against the previous owner who eventually reimbursed the replacement costs. Good Luck!

My oak floor is stained by my dog being sick on floor in the night. It is dark brown in color and the size of a medallion. Can I ever remove this? I have wiped it over and it doesn't budge.

By Sally

Is the oak sealed? If so you can buy wood cleaning products and mix with water. If it's sealed you can also try white wine vinegar with water. If it's not sealed the trick is to use as little water as possible. Water can warp oak.

Also it's important to mop with the grain.

How do I repair pet stains on a wood floor? Is there a way to restain just were the pet stains are?

By Fisher

We had animals the past 27 years and had run into problems with only one house we rented. We used this product called odor be gone , you soak the wood once it drys you paint this other product called kills . This works permanently. They also make odor be gone in a carpet shampoo I still mix some odor be gone into the shampoo to make it stronger it works great . You may have to repeat it a few times but it will work. You do have to treat the wood and replace padding for best results. You can find this at Home Depo , that's where we found it. Good luck Penny Berry.

We have light stained white oak hardwood floors. We have noticed that our 8-9 year old cat has lately been peeing on our rugs. We also suspect that the cat has been dripping urine on the hard wood floors that appears to be making smudges in various spread out areas. They are not plainly obvious, you see them at a certain angle or certain light. We hope you can recommend a good hardwood floor cleaner that will take care of this or at will at least improve the condition vs. sanding/refinishing,etc., as 2 rooms and a hall and possibly a 3rd room are affected. We are taking the cat to the vet, to find out what's wrong with her. Thank you for your help.

How do I remove dried urine spots from hardwood?

Over several years two male cats peed in a particular place in our living room. Will refinishing the floor ever get rid of the stain/odor? Or, should I use KILZ on the floor and put down new flooring?

By Barb R.

I found a recent cat urine stain on my real hardwood under my carpet. It had turned black, I got some of it off by scrubbing. How do I remove the rest?

BY Laura

Will hydrogen peroxide bleach the timber floor lighter? We have dark mahogany floors. Will hydrogen peroxide also damage the sealant so that we'll have to re-varnish the whole floor? I'm just worried that the spot will still be noticeable if its colour changes.

By Linda AH

I foster dogs and one peed on my hardwood floors. I have used some cleaners and it still doesn't come out.
Any ideas short of sanding and refinishing the floor?

By Liana

How do I get dog urine off a wood floor?

By Mary from High Point, NC

Answers:

I just discovered some black cat urine stains on my hardwood floors (hidden under a box for weeks!). These topnailed, red oak floors were refinished and coated with polyurethane (Varathane) about 25 years ago, so I guess there are gaps or thin areas in the polyurethane that let the urine through. (Despite the fact that this is in an area that gets little foot traffic or wear, and we are a shoe-free household.)

I read the archives here, and so I tried the peroxide soaked paper towels for a day and overnight, without sanding/ removing the polyurethane. Will I have to sand the polyurethane finish off to have any real chance of removing these stains myself?

To those who successfully lightened or removed such stains with peroxide: were your floors finished with polyurethane, with another sealer, or with lacquer or just wax? If you have personal experience with removing stains, I'd appreciate any tips you can offer!

By Dina from CA

Answers:

Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

Try using a Magic Eraser; see if that doesn't do the trick for you! And be sure that the hydrogen peroxide that you are using is NOT the "topical solution" which is simply an extremely watered down version of the real thing that is out on the market now! I found the real thing at Walmart Pharmacy; that's the only place I found it! (09/18/2010)

By MzScarlett

Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

I am one of the people who recommended the peroxide. I use the ones that can be found everywhere and it does the trick. I don't think that you need to get the other one.

Anyway, I think that you will find with repeated applications of the peroxide, it will lighten up a lot more. (09/21/2010)

By kathyj311

Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

Clean+Green: Wood and Tile Cleaner, Odor Eliminator and Stain (10/14/2010)

By MRSCCB

Please help! I have a cat urine stain on hardwood floor that was hidden underneath a box. It has blackened spots on the floor and I don't know how to remove it.

By venajoy

Answers:

Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

I'm sad to say I don't think there is a way to remove the black stain. (07/23/2010)

By Merlene

Dog urine soaked through the carpet. I removed the carpet to refinish the hardwood floors underneath and there are black stains. Help.

By Carolyn

Answers:

Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

Try peroxide or oxi-clean products. (06/10/2010)

By T&T Grandma

How can I remove the dark stain left by pet urine on my hardwood floor?

By Margaret from Niceville, FL

Answers:

Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

I wonder if real mayonnaise would take it out? I have never tried it for removing rings off of tables, so I am not sure if it even works. (04/04/2010)

By Akilah

Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

We had two week old cat urine stains that we finally found on the 90 year old top nailed white oak floor. The same two locations were peed on multiple times, so they were both dark and deep stains. There are lots of things you can try. I read a lot online, and just started trying things. Always test what you try in an obscure location, in case you do not like the result.

First I used Petastic odor and stain remover for cat urine, which is the same formula as Nature's Miracle. After two applications, which were each left there for an hour, there was still a dark stain and odor. After much online research, I decided to try 3 percent hydrogen peroxide, which I put directly on the floor. This lightened it some. I then put on hydrogen peroxide mixed with baking soda, in no particular proportion. This created small oxidation bubbles, and I could see and smell urine being lifted to the surface. I rinsed this clean, and used Petastic again. I rinsed that clean, and let it dry overnight. This morning, the stain is substantially lighter, and looks a little "bleached". It smells a little of urine, and a little of Petastic when I put my nose right next to the stains.

The floor will definitely change quite a bit in the hours after applying peroxide, so you may want to be more patient than me and just put one application on per day.

I'm enclosing a photo of the current state of one stain, prior to any further application or sanding. This was almost black when I started.

I may put some peroxide on the places that are still a little dark, and next we will sand it and put some sealer on it. In a few years, the floors throughout the house will be refinished, so it will be fully addressed then. Hopefully we won't have to replace floor boards, but that is a possibility.

This happened because I was distracted for a week or two and did not provide an optimum litter box experience for my two cats. Always keep the litter box clean! (06/03/2010)

By murrcat

RE: Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

How do you get pet urine stains out of hardwood floor?

How do you remove a dog urine stain from a hardwood floor?

How do I get cat urine and stool stains off of a real wood floor?

How do I get black urine stains, from my dog, off a hardwood floor?

How do I get black urine spots from my dogs out of my hardwood floor?

How do I remove pet urine stains from my hardwood floor?

How can I get pet urine stains up from a hardwood floor?

Can anyone help me with cat urine stains and smell on hardwood floors?

Does anyone know how to remove set in pet stains (urine) from oak hardwood floors?