Share Crafts

Removing Pet Urine Stains from Hardwood Floors

A dog laying on a hardwood floor.

When you have pets accidents happen, even on your beautiful hardwood flooring. This is a guide about removing pet urine stains from hardwood floors.

Solutions: Removing Pet Urine Stains from Hardwood Floors

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Baking Soda For Urine on Wood Floors

The best idea for soaking pet urine from the cracks in the wooden floor is to sprinkle baking soda on the boards where needed. Leave it for an hour or two and you will actually see the urine sucked up like a straw. You must repeat this a few times.

By Susan

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Removing Pet Urine Stains from Hardwood Floors.

Question: Black Stains on Hardwood Floors

Stains on floors.I pulled up the carpet in my living room today and I had black spots on the floor that smelt like pee. I need a solution to kill the smell take the black spots away.

By Nakita from Morehead City, NC

Most Recent Answer

By alexajbolton10/08/2013

I had this when we bought our home too. There is a bottle of cleaning solution that you can buy at Lowes (probably home dept too) I can't remember the name of it, it comes in a black jug. It has a I skull on it and it had "40" in the name. Anyway its a very strong cleaning solution but the smell is very mild, pour it on your floors with very hot water and take a deck scrubbing brush to it as it will take the stickiness and most of the stain up. to get rid of it completely you will have to sand and refinish. your floors.

Just remember to dry your floors quickly with a towel when finished. you don't want your floors absorbing that water.
Hope this helps! Good luck.

Question: Cat Urine Stain on Hardwood Floor

About 2 months ago we paid a lot to have our hardwood floors refinished. Now I have a black stain on the floor from cat urine. Is there any way of getting the cat urine black stain off the wood floor without ruining the finish? Thank you for any help.

Most Recent Answer

By Tina K [1]12/02/2013

If the cat is not using the litter box, take it to the vet. It probably has a uti. If this is an old odor attracting your cat, you must get rid of the odor. I would try Nature's miracle. Spray liberally onto the stain. Keep it wet. At first it may smell worse, but after a few days, it should completely remove the smell and most of the stain. After initial application, wet clean cloth with Nature's miracle and keep it over the stain. This will help keep the application from drying out. Then, if your floors are oiled instead of polyurethane, it will be an easy fix. If not, you may have to sand and redo that area. You must make sure all urine is gone first! A black light will tell you.

Question: Does Dog Urine Stain Hardwood?

I'm getting a new puppy and have all hardwood. It is an old house so the hardwood is real wood not the new laminate they have. Will urine cause any stains on the floor? Even if I should get it up quickly? I can't potty train her for another month because she is only 2 months old. Thanks.

By Cindy

Most Recent Answer

By Amy Crowley [3]08/05/2009

Every time that your dog goes into the yard and does the deed, immediately hand her/him a treat. This only takes four or five times. I broke two in a week with this. You can pick up underpads in the incontinence section of discount stores and place them by the door if you don't get there in time, and in a crate so you don't have to wash as much. They have them in pet stores, but the are twice the price.

Question: Removing Dog Urine Stains on Hardwood

I have two Dachshunds that have made it their business to ruin me. I don't have the money to replace these parquet tiles and knowing the maintenance of my building they will charge me three times what it's really worth. How can you clean up and get out dog urine stains and odors from this type of flooring. I'm desperate! Please someone help!

By Jbgnyc

Most Recent Answer

By Dakota H.02/18/2015

What a snooty answer from someone who doesn't know how notorious Weiner dogs are for this behavior. Geesh.
Try the hydrogen peroxide.. And ignore the rude person. Sorry you got trolled for such a simple thing.

Question: Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

How can pet urine stains be removed from wood floors?

By Terry from Kings Park, NY

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By reneedc 07/09/2011

Please tell me more about the peroxide soaked paper towels for pet urine stains. I rent and have an elderly dog with bladder issues and when I pulled up my rug today there is a rather large black stain on the hardwood floors. I need to clean this up before the end of our lease. Please help!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Question: Dog Urine on Hardwood Floor

I just pulled out the carpeting and padding from our rental house bedrooms and living room and I have tons of large urine spots on the hardwood floor. I'm sick about it. Please help. i don't have any idea where to start.
Looking forward to your reply.

By Mary Ann F.

Most Recent Answer

By C Buckey R.11/11/2014

You mentioned hydrogen peroxide to remove pet stains from wood floors. This does work, but a couple notes; unless you said otherwise you are probably using household 3% solution. You can purchase near 100% peroxide at Home Depot or some such. But be careful, at that strength it will burn you, and you are looking at bleaching the wood. Which means the finish, or any color stain are all dissolved, along with the stain hopefully. The wood will need to be refinished. This is not to detour but FYI.

When I bought my home one floor was heavily stained. I finish floors for a living, so I bleached the whole area, stained it a darker color and refinished the floor. At that point it was unnoticeable. Since, I have re-sanded the area and gone to a natural finish. The few remaining blotches are difficult to distinguish from the natural variation in wood color and grain.

This was the result starting from deep old heavy pet stains. Lesser stains may be easier to deal with, needing only local light sanding and a little touch up refinish. It stained because, whatever, got through the finish and into the wood grain.

Also, when we tear out a carpet to install wood, oft times pet odor has gotten into the sub-floor (the ply wood or particle board underneath the carpet). I can still smell it after the wood has been lain over the top, the polyurethane may seal the odor in, but you may consider painting KILNS or some other stain cover to seal the sub-floor before wood instillation.

One beauty of wood is that it is durable, with care can last years and years, is low maintenance, and for the most part can always be fixed.
Enjoy cBr

Question: Removing Pet Stains from Hardwood Flooring

I had a tenant, had being the key word here, with a no pet lease. Three dogs and a cat later, my hardwood floors are a mess. I do not think the animals were let out, it is disgusting. I am hoping for a Nature's Miracle recipe for hardwood floors. Thank you!

By Lillian D.

Most Recent Answer

By Gary T06/02/2011

I had the same problem with a cat. It took a while to realize that the cat was peeing on the rug and that it was soaking into the hardwood underneath. When we lifted the rug, there were black spots in several places. Having removed the rug, the hardwood floors looked nice enough to try to restore, so I tried oxalic acid and other recommended remedies. The spots lighten up some, but in the end the spots never clear up enough to look decent. You will likely need to get the floors sanded and refinished.

Question: Removing Urine Stains on Hardwood Floor

I have a old home and am trying to do work on the floor. It has a whole lot of pet stains. I want to keep the floor. How do I get it out? Please help. No work on them has been done for 25 years.

By Anna M.J

Most Recent Answer

By Dinah Ackerson [4]03/13/2015

We had a similar problem in a new to us 50 year old house that we only saw on summer days with all doors open. Upon moving in, we found that the previous owner's dog left dark stains that smelled very bad and were all over the house. There were also older stains. After many valiant tries to clean out the stains and odor using all types of cleaners, all failed as the stains and especially the odor had seeped down into the wood. We finally replaced the entire oak floor. We filed against the previous owner who eventually reimbursed the replacement costs. Good Luck!

Question: Removing a Stain from Oak Floor

My oak floor is stained by my dog being sick on floor in the night. It is dark brown in color and the size of a medallion. Can I ever remove this? I have wiped it over and it doesn't budge.

By Sally

Most Recent Answer

By James Nevin11/27/2014

Is the oak sealed? If so you can buy wood cleaning products and mix with water. If it's sealed you can also try white wine vinegar with water. If it's not sealed the trick is to use as little water as possible. Water can warp oak.

Also it's important to mop with the grain.

Question: Repairing Pet Stains on Wood Floor

How do I repair pet stains on a wood floor? Is there a way to restain just were the pet stains are?

By Fisher

Most Recent Answer

By Louis N Penny B.11/06/2014

We had animals the past 27 years and had run into problems with only one house we rented. We used this product called odor be gone , you soak the wood once it drys you paint this other product called kills . This works permanently. They also make odor be gone in a carpet shampoo I still mix some odor be gone into the shampoo to make it stronger it works great . You may have to repeat it a few times but it will work. You do have to treat the wood and replace padding for best results. You can find this at Home Depo , that's where we found it. Good luck Penny Berry.

Question: Removing Pet Stains and Odor from Hardwood Floors

I have oak floors that have been stained by dogs. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could wash the smells out?

By broadway29 from Terrasse Vaudreuil, Quebec

Most Recent Answer

By edward1956 [1]08/23/2011

Just mop and sanitize it.

Question: Removing Pet Urine Stain on Wood Floor

stain on floor

I have a pool table on floorboards, but I put felt under the legs to prevent scratches. My cat has peed on it and left a big stain. Can anyone please tell me how to get the stain off? Thank you.

By nedkelly77 [1]

Question: Dog Urine Stain on Hardwood Floors

I had a black garbage bag full of clothes on my hardwood floor and I had it there for about a week, while it was there my two dogs were lifting their leg on it and I didn't realize this until I picked the bag up and behold a pretty big dark spot on my hardwood floor. Please can someone tell me how to get this out without having to sand and refinish?

By Sarah

Question: Removing Cat Pee Smell and Black Stain on Floor

Over several years two male cats peed in a particular place in our living room. Will refinishing the floor ever get rid of the stain/odor? Or, should I use KILZ on the floor and put down new flooring?

By Barb R.

Question: Dog Urine Stains and Odor on Hardwood Floor

Our dog was peeing on the area rug in our dining room which went unnoticed for a period of time. When discovered we took the area rug in for cleaning, but found dark stains on the hard wood floor underneath the rug and pad. Any suggestions for removal of spots and smell will be greatly appreciated?

By Jacqueline

Question: Using Peroxide to Clean Pet Stain on Wood Floors

Pet urine stain on wood floor.Will hydrogen peroxide bleach the timber floor lighter? We have dark mahogany floors. Will hydrogen peroxide also damage the sealant so that we'll have to re-varnish the whole floor? I'm just worried that the spot will still be noticeable if its colour changes.

By Linda AH

Question: Getting Pee Stains Out of Hardwood Flooring

I foster dogs and one peed on my hardwood floors. I have used some cleaners and it still doesn't come out.
    Any ideas short of sanding and refinishing the floor?

By Liana

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Pet Urine Stains On Hardwood Floors

Does anyone know how to remove set in pet stains (urine) from oak hardwood floors? The stains are dark, almost black. They are in a rental property and may be up to a year old. Thank you.

Urine Stains - Hardwood floors 05/29/2005
    While finding this site, checking with wood flooring stores, and the local PetSmart, We accidentally found a solution to the urine stain problem:

Fill a squirt bottle with full strength Hydrogen Peroxide from the drug store. (The solution is about 3.5% out of the bottle). Squirt the stain and let rest for about 1 minute. You will now be able to easily scrape off the varnish. Apply the solution again liberally. Let it react for at least 2 hours. Depending on how old and how dense the stain, you may have to sand the spot and reapply the peroxide several times. Then it will be necessary of course to refinish the spot.

We have just sanded and refinished a large hardwood floor that has been under a wall to wall carpet for 14 years. Imagine our delight to see blackened urine stains fade away with this process...

By Mary from Denver
    - - 06/07/2005
    they said PEROXIDE, not bleach. Peroxide bleaches your hair, but it's not CHLORINE bleach, which gets your whites clean.
    By la escritora
    - - 06/25/2005
    I gave hydrogen peroxide a try and to my shock it works! It is slow going and I am not finished yet but so far have had good results. :-)
    By Autumn
    - - 10/29/2005
    Tried the hydrogen peroxide. It works! I used it on oak cabinets that the little guy got into and peed in.
    By Ann

Can anyone help me with cat urine stains and smell on hardwood floors? I plan on refinishing them so anything will help.

Ginny from Quincy, MA

RE: Pet Urine Stains On Hardwood Floors

I tried the hydrogen peroxide and covered it with clear plastic wrap to hold the moisture in longer and when I woke up the next morning (approx. 9hrs later), almost all the dark black was gone. Now the stain is a faint green hue. Repeating to see if the rest will come out. (07/02/2006)

By GRL

RE: Pet Urine Stains On Hardwood Floors

Try the urine remover here -

It will remove any staining and kill the odor (07/13/2006)

By ben123

RE: Using bleach/water solution to damp mop old hardwood floor

Can't you use a bleach/water solution to clean/sterilize old hardwood floors, before going over them with a dust mop and liquid gold? (07/14/2006)

By Kia

RE: Pet Urine Stains On Hardwood Floors

We are getting ready to sell our condo, which has the "pre-finished" (meaning not enough varnish to matter) oak floors and we had a couple pet urine stains and a couple places where someone put a damp mop and left it (our son did it-not me!!). I tried just bleach and it helped some, but dark stains along the cracks still showed, so I tried one further step: I poured some hydrogen peroxide on the stain and let it sit for a couple minutes, then I poured full strength bleach over it, combining the two liquids. It REALLY foams! Be careful and don't wear good clothes, or they might get bleached! I left the foamy stuff on for about 5-10 minutes, then took my string mop and mopped most of it off, leaving it slightly damp. It looked better right away, but by the next morning (I did it in the evening), the stains were gone. I don't know if the combination is doing the job, or just one or the other worked, but I'm not complaining. A long time ago, I bought a commercial wood bleaching kit, and it was a solution of lye, which you sprayed on the wood to soften it, and then some strong peroxide, which caused MAJOR foaming, and did the bleaching. I thought that maybe this might work too, being two strong oxidizing solutions. (07/17/2006)

By Susan H

Editor's Note: Mixing bleach and hydrogen peroxide will make toxic chlorine gas and could cause injuries. Please use caution and do research before mixing different cleaners.

How can I get pet urine stains up from a hardwood floor?

How do I remove pet urine stains from my hardwood floor?

Lisa from Rockford

RE: Pet Urine Stains On Hardwood Floors

Regular old cat litter, piled on the stain. I used the clumping kind, you could literally see the litter turn yellow as it soaked it up.

I had to do it a couple of times, but it worked for me. Anything liquid is just going to make the wood wetter, defeating the purpose. (11/07/2008)

By Brooke

Archive: Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

How do I get black urine spots from my dogs out of my hardwood floor?

How do I get black urine stains, from my dog, off a hardwood floor?

How do I get cat urine and stool stains off of a real wood floor?

By Gail from UK

RE: Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

I'd try vinegar and steel wool. Then re-stain that area if necessary. (12/08/2009)

By jtithof

How do you remove a dog urine stain from a hardwood floor?

By Judy