Removing Pet Urine Stains from Hardwood Floors

When you have pets accidents happen, even on your beautiful hardwood flooring. This is a guide about removing pet urine stains from hardwood floors.

November 16, 2013 Flag

The best idea for soaking pet urine from the cracks in the wooden floor is to sprinkle baking soda on the boards where needed. Leave it for an hour or two and you will actually see the urine sucked up like a straw. You must repeat this a few times.

By Susan

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have used baking powder on my wood floor three times but the last time it has made black spotting on the wood what shell I do

July 27, 2009 Flag

I'm getting a new puppy and have all hardwood. It is an old house so the hardwood is real wood not the new laminate they have. Will urine cause any stains on the floor? Even if I should get it up quickly? I can't potty train her for another month because she is only 2 months old. Thanks.

By Cindy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I just wanted to thank everyone for their imput on urine staining hardwood floors. I've had my puppy since the 27th. Today is the 29th and I've already succeeded in her pottying on these puppy pads. She is doing pretty good considering it has only been 3 days. I'm going to eventually put one in a cat litter box without the cat liter and hopefully she will by then know that is where she is to go. I purchased a bell from this company where you can use their paw to pat the bell, then take them outside so they can associate and eventually do it without having to coax them. She is only 1 1/2 pounds and so little right now i just want to keep training her with the pads and then maybe if she gets big enough use the bell. She will only get to be 4 pounds. Anyway, thanks so much for all your responses.

September 13, 2015 Flag

I have a pool table on floorboards, but I put felt under the legs to prevent scratches. My cat has peed on it and left a big stain. Can anyone please tell me how to get the stain off? Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

3% peroxide ,put in a spray bottle and let it set about an hour. Repeat over a few days and you should see a difference .

October 7, 2013 Flag

I pulled up the carpet in my living room today and I had black spots on the floor that smelt like pee. I need a solution to kill the smell take the black spots away.

By Nakita from Morehead City, NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had this when we bought our home too. There is a bottle of cleaning solution that you can buy at Lowes (probably home dept too) I can't remember the name of it, it comes in a black jug. It has a I skull on it and it had "40" in the name. Anyway its a very strong cleaning solution but the smell is very mild, pour it on your floors with very hot water and take a deck scrubbing brush to it as it will take the stickiness and most of the stain up. to get rid of it completely you will have to sand and refinish. your floors.

Just remember to dry your floors quickly with a towel when finished. you don't want your floors absorbing that water.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

July 31, 2013 Flag

About 2 months ago we paid a lot to have our hardwood floors refinished. Now I have a black stain on the floor from cat urine. Is there any way of getting the cat urine black stain off the wood floor without ruining the finish? Thank you for any help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If the cat is not using the litter box, take it to the vet. It probably has a UTI. If this is an old odor attracting your cat, you must get rid of the odor. I would try Nature's Miracle enzyme cleaner. Spray liberally onto the stain. Keep it wet. At first it may smell worse, but after a few days, it should completely remove the smell and most of the stain. After initial application, wet clean cloth with Nature's Miracle and keep it over the stain. This will help keep the application from drying out. Then, if your floors are oiled instead of polyurethane, it will be an easy fix. If not, you may have to sand and redo that area. You must make sure all urine is gone first! A black light will tell you.

March 13, 2015 Flag

I have a old home and am trying to do work on the floor. It has a whole lot of pet stains. I want to keep the floor. How do I get it out? Please help. No work on them has been done for 25 years.

By Anna M.J

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We had a similar problem in a new to us 50 year old house that we only saw on summer days with all doors open. Upon moving in, we found that the previous owner's dog left dark stains that smelled very bad and were all over the house. There were also older stains. After many valiant tries to clean out the stains and odor using all types of cleaners, all failed as the stains and especially the odor had seeped down into the wood. We finally replaced the entire oak floor. We filed against the previous owner who eventually reimbursed the replacement costs. Good Luck!

November 26, 2014 Flag

My oak floor is stained by my dog being sick on floor in the night. It is dark brown in color and the size of a medallion. Can I ever remove this? I have wiped it over and it doesn't budge.

By Sally

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Is the oak sealed? If so you can buy wood cleaning products and mix with water. If it's sealed you can also try white wine vinegar with water. If it's not sealed the trick is to use as little water as possible. Water can warp oak.

Also it's important to mop with the grain.

November 4, 2014 Flag

How do I repair pet stains on a wood floor? Is there a way to restain just were the pet stains are?

By Fisher

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We had animals the past 27 years and had run into problems with only one house we rented. We used this product called odor be gone , you soak the wood once it drys you paint this other product called kills . This works permanently. They also make odor be gone in a carpet shampoo I still mix some odor be gone into the shampoo to make it stronger it works great . You may have to repeat it a few times but it will work. You do have to treat the wood and replace padding for best results. You can find this at Home Depo , that's where we found it. Good luck Penny Berry.

May 30, 2011 Flag

I had a tenant, had being the key word here, with a no pet lease. Three dogs and a cat later, my hardwood floors are a mess. I do not think the animals were let out, it is disgusting. I am hoping for a Nature's Miracle recipe for hardwood floors. Thank you!

By Lillian D.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had the same problem with a cat. It took a while to realize that the cat was peeing on the rug and that it was soaking into the hardwood underneath. When we lifted the rug, there were black spots in several places. Having removed the rug, the hardwood floors looked nice enough to try to restore, so I tried oxalic acid and other recommended remedies. The spots lighten up some, but in the end the spots never clear up enough to look decent. You will likely need to get the floors sanded and refinished.

January 20, 2011 Flag

How can pet urine stains be removed from wood floors?

By Terry from Kings Park, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes! The peroxide soaked paper towel covered with plastic bags for 6 hours. Did remove black stains on oak wood floor. I have not sanded or poly-ed the wood yet. Will let you know!

August 16, 2011 Flag

I have oak floors that have been stained by dogs. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could wash the smells out?

By broadway29 from Terrasse Vaudreuil, Quebec

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just mop and sanitize it.

January 7, 2016 Flag

We have light stained white oak hardwood floors. We have noticed that our 8-9 year old cat has lately been peeing on our rugs. We also suspect that the cat has been dripping urine on the hard wood floors that appears to be making smudges in various spread out areas. They are not plainly obvious, you see them at a certain angle or certain light. We hope you can recommend a good hardwood floor cleaner that will take care of this or at will at least improve the condition vs. sanding/refinishing,etc., as 2 rooms and a hall and possibly a 3rd room are affected. We are taking the cat to the vet, to find out what's wrong with her. Thank you for your help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 28, 2015 Flag

How do I remove dried urine spots from hardwood?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 15, 2014 Flag

Over several years two male cats peed in a particular place in our living room. Will refinishing the floor ever get rid of the stain/odor? Or, should I use KILZ on the floor and put down new flooring?

By Barb R.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 31, 2014 Flag

I found a recent cat urine stain on my real hardwood under my carpet. It had turned black, I got some of it off by scrubbing. How do I remove the rest?

BY Laura

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 7, 2013 Flag

Will hydrogen peroxide bleach the timber floor lighter? We have dark mahogany floors. Will hydrogen peroxide also damage the sealant so that we'll have to re-varnish the whole floor? I'm just worried that the spot will still be noticeable if its colour changes.

By Linda AH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 7, 2012 Flag

I foster dogs and one peed on my hardwood floors. I have used some cleaners and it still doesn't come out.
Any ideas short of sanding and refinishing the floor?

By Liana

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 20, 2011 Flag

How do I get dog urine off a wood floor?

By Mary from High Point, NC

Answers:

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 5, 2010 Flag

I just discovered some black cat urine stains on my hardwood floors (hidden under a box for weeks!). These topnailed, red oak floors were refinished and coated with polyurethane (Varathane) about 25 years ago, so I guess there are gaps or thin areas in the polyurethane that let the urine through. (Despite the fact that this is in an area that gets little foot traffic or wear, and we are a shoe-free household.)

I read the archives here, and so I tried the peroxide soaked paper towels for a day and overnight, without sanding/ removing the polyurethane. Will I have to sand the polyurethane finish off to have any real chance of removing these stains myself?

To those who successfully lightened or removed such stains with peroxide: were your floors finished with polyurethane, with another sealer, or with lacquer or just wax? If you have personal experience with removing stains, I'd appreciate any tips you can offer!

By Dina from CA

Answers:

Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

Try using a Magic Eraser; see if that doesn't do the trick for you! And be sure that the hydrogen peroxide that you are using is NOT the "topical solution" which is simply an extremely watered down version of the real thing that is out on the market now! I found the real thing at Walmart Pharmacy; that's the only place I found it! (09/18/2010)

By MzScarlett

Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

I am one of the people who recommended the peroxide. I use the ones that can be found everywhere and it does the trick. I don't think that you need to get the other one.

Anyway, I think that you will find with repeated applications of the peroxide, it will lighten up a lot more. (09/21/2010)

By kathyj311

Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

Clean+Green: Wood and Tile Cleaner, Odor Eliminator and Stain (10/14/2010)

By MRSCCB

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 17, 2010 Flag

Please help! I have a cat urine stain on hardwood floor that was hidden underneath a box. It has blackened spots on the floor and I don't know how to remove it.

By venajoy

Answers:

Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

I'm sad to say I don't think there is a way to remove the black stain. (07/23/2010)

By Merlene

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 17, 2010 Flag

Dog urine soaked through the carpet. I removed the carpet to refinish the hardwood floors underneath and there are black stains. Help.

By Carolyn

Answers:

Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

Try peroxide or oxi-clean products. (06/10/2010)

By T&T Grandma

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 10, 2010 Flag

How can I remove the dark stain left by pet urine on my hardwood floor?

By Margaret from Niceville, FL

Answers:

Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

I wonder if real mayonnaise would take it out? I have never tried it for removing rings off of tables, so I am not sure if it even works. (04/04/2010)

By Akilah

Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

We had two week old cat urine stains that we finally found on the 90 year old top nailed white oak floor. The same two locations were peed on multiple times, so they were both dark and deep stains. There are lots of things you can try. I read a lot online, and just started trying things. Always test what you try in an obscure location, in case you do not like the result.

First I used Petastic odor and stain remover for cat urine, which is the same formula as Nature's Miracle. After two applications, which were each left there for an hour, there was still a dark stain and odor. After much online research, I decided to try 3 percent hydrogen peroxide, which I put directly on the floor. This lightened it some. I then put on hydrogen peroxide mixed with baking soda, in no particular proportion. This created small oxidation bubbles, and I could see and smell urine being lifted to the surface. I rinsed this clean, and used Petastic again. I rinsed that clean, and let it dry overnight. This morning, the stain is substantially lighter, and looks a little "bleached". It smells a little of urine, and a little of Petastic when I put my nose right next to the stains.

The floor will definitely change quite a bit in the hours after applying peroxide, so you may want to be more patient than me and just put one application on per day.

I'm enclosing a photo of the current state of one stain, prior to any further application or sanding. This was almost black when I started.

I may put some peroxide on the places that are still a little dark, and next we will sand it and put some sealer on it. In a few years, the floors throughout the house will be refinished, so it will be fully addressed then. Hopefully we won't have to replace floor boards, but that is a possibility.

This happened because I was distracted for a week or two and did not provide an optimum litter box experience for my two cats. Always keep the litter box clean! (06/03/2010)

By murrcat

RE: Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 3, 2010 Flag

How do you get pet urine stains out of hardwood floor?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 2, 2010 Flag

How do you remove a dog urine stain from a hardwood floor?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 1, 2010 Flag

How do I get cat urine and stool stains off of a real wood floor?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 27, 2009 Flag

How do I get black urine stains, from my dog, off a hardwood floor?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 25, 2009 Flag

How do I get black urine spots from my dogs out of my hardwood floor?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 14, 2009 Flag

How do I remove pet urine stains from my hardwood floor?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 6, 2008 Flag

How can I get pet urine stains up from a hardwood floor?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 18, 2006 Flag

Can anyone help me with cat urine stains and smell on hardwood floors?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsDecember 15, 2012
A kitten sitting on a wood floor.
Cleaning Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors
Red Chair on Hardwood Floor
Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 26, 2017 at 9:28:27 AM on 10.0.2.240 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.