Removing Pet Urine Stains from Hardwood Floors

When you have pets accidents happen, even on your beautiful hardwood flooring. This is a guide about removing pet urine stains from hardwood floors.

A dog laying on a hardwood floor.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 15, 2014 Flag

I have two Dachshunds that have made it their business to ruin me. I don't have the money to replace these parquet tiles and knowing the maintenance of my building they will charge me three times what it's really worth. How can you clean up and get out dog urine stains and odors from this type of flooring. I'm desperate! Please someone help!

By Jbgnyc

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi joy, I too have tried so many tricks including vinegar water mixture to remove the dog urine stains and odor from the hardwood floor of our 30 year old home. Finally it was my husband who bought me a Hoover FloorMate Cleaner 64oz from the nearby shop here in Canada. It really worked well. You too may try once.

Read More Answers...

July 27, 2009 Flag

I'm getting a new puppy and have all hardwood. It is an old house so the hardwood is real wood not the new laminate they have. Will urine cause any stains on the floor? Even if I should get it up quickly? I can't potty train her for another month because she is only 2 months old. Thanks.

By Cindy

Every time that your dog goes into the yard and does the deed, immediately hand her/him a treat. This only takes four or five times. I broke two in a week with this. You can pick up underpads in the incontinence section of discount stores and place them by the door if you don't get there in time, and in a crate so you don't have to wash as much. They have them in pet stores, but the are twice the price.

Read More Answers...

June 15, 2014 Flag

I just pulled out the carpeting and padding from our rental house bedrooms and living room and I have tons of large urine spots on the hardwood floor. I'm sick about it. Please help. i don't have any idea where to start.
Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks.

By Mary Ann F.

You mentioned hydrogen peroxide to remove pet stains from wood floors. This does work, but a couple notes; unless you said otherwise you are probably using household 3% solution. You can purchase near 100% peroxide at Home Depot or some such. But be careful, at that strength it will burn you, and you are looking at bleaching the wood. Which means the finish, or any color stain are all dissolved, along with the stain hopefully. The wood will need to be refinished. This is not to detour but FYI.

When I bought my home one floor was heavily stained. I finish floors for a living, so I bleached the whole area, stained it a darker color and refinished the floor. At that point it was unnoticeable. Since, I have re-sanded the area and gone to a natural finish. The few remaining blotches are difficult to distinguish from the natural variation in wood color and grain.

This was the result starting from deep old heavy pet stains. Lesser stains may be easier to deal with, needing only local light sanding and a little touch up refinish. It stained because, whatever, got through the finish and into the wood grain.

Also, when we tear out a carpet to install wood, oft times pet odor has gotten into the sub-floor (the ply wood or particle board underneath the carpet). I can still smell it after the wood has been lain over the top, the polyurethane may seal the odor in, but you may consider painting KILNS or some other stain cover to seal the sub-floor before wood instillation.

One beauty of wood is that it is durable, with care can last years and years, is low maintenance, and for the most part can always be fixed.

Enjoy cBr

Read More Answers...

March 13, 2015 Flag

I have a old home and am trying to do work on the floor. It has a whole lot of pet stains. I want to keep the floor. How do I get it out? Please help. No work on them has been done for 25 years.

By Anna M.J

We had a similar problem in a new to us 50 year old house that we only saw on summer days with all doors open. Upon moving in, we found that the previous owner's dog left dark stains that smelled very bad and were all over the house. There were also older stains. After many valiant tries to clean out the stains and odor using all types of cleaners, all failed as the stains and especially the odor had seeped down into the wood. We finally replaced the entire oak floor. We filed against the previous owner who eventually reimbursed the replacement costs. Good Luck!

October 7, 2013 Flag

Stains on floors.I pulled up the carpet in my living room today and I had black spots on the floor that smelt like pee. I need a solution to kill the smell take the black spots away.

By Nakita from Morehead City, NC

I had this when we bought our home too. There is a bottle of cleaning solution that you can buy at Lowes (probably home dept too) I can't remember the name of it, it comes in a black jug. It has a I skull on it and it had "40" in the name. Anyway its a very strong cleaning solution but the smell is very mild, pour it on your floors with very hot water and take a deck scrubbing brush to it as it will take the stickiness and most of the stain up. to get rid of it completely you will have to sand and refinish. your floors.

Just remember to dry your floors quickly with a towel when finished. you don't want your floors absorbing that water.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

July 31, 2013 Flag

About 2 months ago we paid a lot to have our hardwood floors refinished. Now I have a black stain on the floor from cat urine. Is there any way of getting the cat urine black stain off the wood floor without ruining the finish? Thank you for any help.

If the cat is not using the litter box, take it to the vet. It probably has a UTI. If this is an old odor attracting your cat, you must get rid of the odor. I would try Nature's Miracle enzyme cleaner. Spray liberally onto the stain. Keep it wet. At first it may smell worse, but after a few days, it should completely remove the smell and most of the stain. After initial application, wet clean cloth with Nature's Miracle and keep it over the stain. This will help keep the application from drying out. Then, if your floors are oiled instead of polyurethane, it will be an easy fix. If not, you may have to sand and redo that area. You must make sure all urine is gone first! A black light will tell you.

November 26, 2014 Flag

My oak floor is stained by my dog being sick on floor in the night. It is dark brown in color and the size of a medallion. Can I ever remove this? I have wiped it over and it doesn't budge.

By Sally

Is the oak sealed? If so you can buy wood cleaning products and mix with water. If it's sealed you can also try white wine vinegar with water. If it's not sealed the trick is to use as little water as possible. Water can warp oak.

Also it's important to mop with the grain.

November 4, 2014 Flag

How do I repair pet stains on a wood floor? Is there a way to restain just were the pet stains are?

By Fisher

We had animals the past 27 years and had run into problems with only one house we rented. We used this product called odor be gone , you soak the wood once it drys you paint this other product called kills . This works permanently. They also make odor be gone in a carpet shampoo I still mix some odor be gone into the shampoo to make it stronger it works great . You may have to repeat it a few times but it will work. You do have to treat the wood and replace padding for best results. You can find this at Home Depo , that's where we found it. Good luck Penny Berry.

January 20, 2011 Flag

How can pet urine stains be removed from wood floors?

By Terry from Kings Park, NY

Please tell me more about the peroxide soaked paper towels for pet urine stains. I rent and have an elderly dog with bladder issues and when I pulled up my rug today there is a rather large black stain on the hardwood floors. I need to clean this up before the end of our lease. Please help!

Read More Answers...

November 16, 2013 Flag

The best idea for soaking pet urine from the cracks in the wooden floor is to sprinkle baking soda on the boards where needed. Leave it for an hour or two and you will actually see the urine sucked up like a straw. You must repeat this a few times.

By Susan

May 30, 2011 Flag

I had a tenant, had being the key word here, with a no pet lease. Three dogs and a cat later, my hardwood floors are a mess. I do not think the animals were let out, it is disgusting. I am hoping for a Nature's Miracle recipe for hardwood floors. Thank you!

By Lillian D.

I had the same problem with a cat. It took a while to realize that the cat was peeing on the rug and that it was soaking into the hardwood underneath. When we lifted the rug, there were black spots in several places. Having removed the rug, the hardwood floors looked nice enough to try to restore, so I tried oxalic acid and other recommended remedies. The spots lighten up some, but in the end the spots never clear up enough to look decent. You will likely need to get the floors sanded and refinished.

Read More Answers...

August 16, 2011 Flag

I have oak floors that have been stained by dogs. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could wash the smells out?

By broadway29 from Terrasse Vaudreuil, Quebec

Just mop and sanitize it.

January 20, 2011 Flag

How do I get dog urine off a wood floor?

By Mary from High Point, NC

Answers:

November 5, 2010 Flag

I just discovered some black cat urine stains on my hardwood floors (hidden under a box for weeks!). These topnailed, red oak floors were refinished and coated with polyurethane (Varathane) about 25 years ago, so I guess there are gaps or thin areas in the polyurethane that let the urine through. (Despite the fact that this is in an area that gets little foot traffic or wear, and we are a shoe-free household.)

I read the archives here, and so I tried the peroxide soaked paper towels for a day and overnight, without sanding/ removing the polyurethane. Will I have to sand the polyurethane finish off to have any real chance of removing these stains myself?

To those who successfully lightened or removed such stains with peroxide: were your floors finished with polyurethane, with another sealer, or with lacquer or just wax? If you have personal experience with removing stains, I'd appreciate any tips you can offer!

By Dina from CA

Answers:

Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

Try using a Magic Eraser; see if that doesn't do the trick for you! And be sure that the hydrogen peroxide that you are using is NOT the "topical solution" which is simply an extremely watered down version of the real thing that is out on the market now! I found the real thing at Walmart Pharmacy; that's the only place I found it! (09/18/2010)

By MzScarlett

Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

I am one of the people who recommended the peroxide. I use the ones that can be found everywhere and it does the trick. I don't think that you need to get the other one.

Anyway, I think that you will find with repeated applications of the peroxide, it will lighten up a lot more. (09/21/2010)

By kathyj311

Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

Clean+Green: Wood and Tile Cleaner, Odor Eliminator and Stain (10/14/2010)

By MRSCCB

September 17, 2010 Flag

Please help! I have a cat urine stain on hardwood floor that was hidden underneath a box. It has blackened spots on the floor and I don't know how to remove it.

By venajoy

Answers:

Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

I'm sad to say I don't think there is a way to remove the black stain. (07/23/2010)

By Merlene

July 17, 2010 Flag

Dog urine soaked through the carpet. I removed the carpet to refinish the hardwood floors underneath and there are black stains. Help.

By Carolyn

Answers:

Pet Urine Stains on Hardwood Floors

Try peroxide or oxi-clean products. (06/10/2010)

By T&T Grandma

June 10, 2010 Flag

How can I remove the dark stain left by pet urine on my hardwood floor?

April 3, 2010 Flag

How do you get pet urine stains out of hardwood floor?

March 2, 2010 Flag

How do you remove a dog urine stain from a hardwood floor?

February 1, 2010 Flag

How do I get cat urine and stool stains off of a real wood floor?

October 27, 2009 Flag

How do I get black urine stains, from my dog, off a hardwood floor?

August 25, 2009 Flag

How do I get black urine spots from my dogs out of my hardwood floor?

January 14, 2009 Flag

How do I remove pet urine stains from my hardwood floor?

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsDecember 15, 2012
A kitten sitting on a wood floor.
Cleaning Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors
Red Chair on Hardwood Floor
Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 26, 2016 at 7:03:50 AM on 10.0.0.77 in 728 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.