Removing Silly Putty from Hair

Getting Silly Putty out of hair can be difficult. Before you cut it out, there are other things to try. This is a guide about removing Silly Putty from hair.

July 6, 2013 Flag

I used warm water on a wet rag. I put some Dawn dish soap on it and poured rubbing alcohol on the rag too. I rubbed the Silly Putty; (which was hardened) out in a few minutes. It worked great! The dog didn't complain a bit either.

Source: I used information from this site; and modified the information, making a new "recipe" to see what would happen. It worked great with no harsh toxic chemicals.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments

May 30, 2007 Flag

My Shih Tzu puppy just got my daughter's silly putty stuck in her hair and in her paws! How can I get it out safely?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Normally I would say peanut butter but the dog would be licking it off and you don't want the silly putty ingested. I would strongly advise you to try baby oil.. It should basically work the same way.

* (If I didn't like somebody, I would give their kids silly putty for Christmas, birthday or any excuse I could think of) my bad...

Mayonaise or mineral oil. I fear baby oil might hurt the animal.

Baby oil & mineral oil are basically the same thing. Use any vegetable oil. (ie: corn oil, olive, soybean, etc.)

You can use peanut butter and then take a rag and wipe it out after you work it in real good or you can use Skin So Soft in the green bottle,regular secnt and work it in real good and wipe out,it will also kill flease and smell good

You more than likely have gotten the silly putty out by now. But for future reference to anyone who has this happen. I would use a good hair conditioner to remove the silly putty. Put on a good amount and work it around in the area making sure that it is completely covered. Let it sit for a few miutes. It will not just roll off, but with a little paitence you can remove it. If it were in my dogs hair, I might consider just cutting it out. It will grow back. But for the paws this should be fine.

DeSolvIt can be found in WalMart for this silly putty dilemma and MANY others; I discovered it years ago when (unbeknownst to me) my 4 yr old had lipstick in her pocket--clothes went thru washer AND dryer...Dry Cleaner recommended "pitch the clothes". Tried this biodegradable product: used yrs ago to clean up the Valdez oil spill withOUT hurting environment! Removes gum, grease, etc w/o harsh chemical results. (will need to wash, rinse product out of hair/fabric, etc.)

November 4, 2008 Flag

My granddaughter put Flarp Putty in her hair. How can we remove it safely without pulling her hair out? It's all the way to the scalp.

Brenda from Marion, NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have never heard of Flarp! LOL!

Here is a link here with some suggestions and also the phone number of the company you could call to ask but they wont be open until Weds morn.

http://help.com  do-you-get-flarp

JA-RU (800) 231- 3470

9 a.m. through 5 p.m. ET

Monday through Friday

Some previous ThriftyFun threads on removing SILLY Putty may have some suggestions as well:

http://www.thri  f878690.tip.html

http://www.thri  4329647.tip.html

http://www.thri  f581399.tip.html

Good luck !

I know that you can remove gum from hair with peanut butter so you might try that. I don't know if it will work or not, but it's worth a try.

Try mayo.

We just got back from a b-day party and my daughter had the flarp stuck in her hair. We initially tried olive oil, then powder to try and dry it, but it was still not coming out. Ii poured organic apple cider on it, and it completely dissolved it! Hope this helps.

Hmmm. I put my son in the bath tub and washed his hair with shampoo. The Flarp came right out. No pain. no whining.

April 2, 2010 Flag

Someone please tell me how to get silly putty out of my little sister's hair.

By Lindsey from Kennett, MO

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try some peanut butter or cooking oil. rub it on the hair and then comb until it combs off. Good luck!

I got (super-duper sticky) scar putty in my hair from my Halloween costume and actually found the putty after my shower! I got it out instantly with real mayonnaise and re-washed my hair. :)

April 2, 2010 Flag

My son has put silly putty in his hair, I don't know what is best to break it down to get it out, any ideas?

Kristie from Lakewood, CO

Answers:

Removing Silly Putty from Hair

My dog ended up with silly putty in her fur. I used the hand sanitizer. It worked the best and was the least oily. It was so fast. (04/24/2008)

By Angela

Removing Silly Putty from Hair

How to remove silly putty from African-American hair: (actually it was homemade silly putty, made from Elmer's glue and borax in a science workshop) Short answer: non-acetone nail polish remover (main ingredient is ethyl acetate).

We rubbed the homemade silly putty into pieces of fuzzy cloth and tested the various remedies recommended on the web first. We tried Vaseline, oil, rubbing alcohol, hand sanitizer, and Goo Gone. The ethyl acetate dissolved the stuff like magic, whereas the other methods made a mess.

Procedure:

1. Assign the older brother (responsible for getting the silly putty into the hair) the job of playing cards with the puttied person, in the kitchen with the window a little bit open.

2. Cut a few medium-sized pieces of rag, such as an old T-shirt.
  3. Dampen one of the pieces of cloth.
  4. Run a warm bath.

5. Wrap a rag around the child's hairline as a partial turban to catch drips.
  6. Put on rubber gloves so you don't stain your fingers.
  7. Pour a little nail polish remover on the silly putty. Tell the child it will feel cold, but will not hurt. Massage. Now blot or rub with the dry cloth.

8. Pick out hair to make sure the putty is all out, and repeat step 7 if needed.
  9. Catch drips as they occur with the damp cloth. But if you are stingy with the nail polish remover, it will not drip down.
  10. Pop child into bath tub. Shampoo twice.

11. Say yes when the older child asks if he should throw the silly putty out, and let him make breakfast for everybody. (04/27/2008)

By Melanie

Removing Silly Putty from Hair

I was getting the breakfast dishes out this morning when I heard my 11 year old daughter scream from her bedroom upstairs. I thought maybe she had seen a spider or something, but when she came down, whimpering, it was because she had green Silly Putty matted in her long hair. Unfortunately, her younger sister, who likes to sleep with her at night, had fallen asleep with it.

Finding this page was a huge lifesaver. We used the Pam cooking spray over the sink with a comb. The only thing I would add, is that it's much more effective to pull the putty out of the hair, than the hair out of the putty. I spent about 15 minutes trying to delicately pull the strands out, and while that worked, it was taking a long time and I had three other kids to get ready to go to school. What really made things happen was when I just dug the comb in (I had to press pretty hard to get it through the putty) and then slowly pulled it down through the hair. The putty came away cleanly in pieces, and we were done in about 5 minutes after that. Good luck. (05/01/2008)

By Guest

Removing Silly Putty from Hair

My son woke up with silly putty in his hair and olive oil took it right out. (05/23/2008)

By Janice

Removing Silly Putty from African American Hair

Good grief. My daughter woke with silly putty in her hair. We are African American and Ginseng oil worked wonders. This web-site was a lifesaver at 6am. (10/23/2008)

Removing Silly Putty from Hair

What's up with kids falling asleep with silly putty? My 5 year old did that tonight. She woke up screaming saying she was stuck to her pillow, and sure enough it was "the putty". She has super curly hair. I used baby oil and a comb. It came out it seconds. (01/29/2009)

By Missy

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 16, 2008 Flag

Kristie from Lakewood, CO

Answers:

Removing Silly Putty from Hair

White vinegar will also break the Silly Putty down. (04/11/2006)

By gcmom7

Removing Silly Putty from Hair

I also encountered glitter silly putty in the hair and tried the cooking spray, mostly because I'm a hair stylist, and figured that oil had to be much better for the hair than alcohol. It worked like a charm! You have to remember to start at the end of the strand and work your way up the hair with a comb and the oil to reduce any chance of the hair breaking.Thanks for the tip! (04/13/2006)

By Katia from RI.

Removing Silly Putty from Hair

I couldn't find any cooking spray so I opted for the rubbing alcohol with my 4 year old. It worked well, I just put a towel over her eyes and had a bowl to dip the comb in. It took about 10 minutes. (04/16/2006)

By Deb

Removing Silly Putty from Hair

The cooking oil worked great. Acts as a lubricant so the Silly Putty won't stick to it. (05/04/2006)

By Jim

Removing Silly Putty from Hair

After using GooGone and olive oil, I found that SKIN-SO-SOFT from Avon worked quickly and easily when my daughter wanted to braid her hair like Rapunzel and somehow thought that Silly Putty would help achieve that special look! (05/14/2006)

By BC

Removing Silly Putty from Hair

Thanks for all the great info. I found that alcohol disolved it but it was still sticky so I put skin so soft on a lice removal comb which worked great since my daughter had her curly hair tangled in a glob of silly putty. I rinsed the comb with hot water with each swipe until it came out clean. (06/23/2006)

By Karin

Removing Silly Putty from Hair

PAM cooking spray, NOT PNUT butter, thats ONLY for gum, PAM COOKING SPRAY took the whole wad out of my 7 yr old's hair in about 5 min. Fine tooth comb and head over sink, spray the pam and watch silly putty dissolve while you comb thru! (07/05/2006)

By SNB

Removing Silly Putty from Hair

Thank you for the information about using cooking spray to remove Silly Putty from hair. My 9-year-old daughter was playing with Silly Putty on the floor, got Silly Putty in her hair, and mashed it in while trying to remove it.

I just used the store-brand cooking spray and a fine-toothed comb to remove the Silly Putty from the hair. It worked! Thanks for this site and thanks to Google for indexing it. (09/02/2006)

By South Jersey Mom

Removing Silly Putty from Hair

Cooking spray took the silly putty right out of my toddlers hair in minutes! Thanks to all! (09/05/2006)

By Andrea

Removing Silly Putty from Hair

Crisco is the bomb. (09/24/2006)

By Tom

Removing Silly Putty from Hair

You can use baby oil. Soak the hair in the oil, work into hair, then comb it out gently with a fine tooth comb. (04/29/2007)

Removing Silly Putty from Hair

1:00 a.m. the phone rings.....My great grandson, 2 yrs old, has a large wad of silly putty in his hair...I went to Google, found you and all the great tips, called his mommy back with the info. I'm sitting with phone in hand waiting to see how the (b)Battle of Silly Putty in Hair(/b) is going... Thank you everyone for your tips! You have probably saved his mommy's sanity! Nana Carol (05/03/2007)

By nana carol

RE: Removing Silly Putty from Hair

Removing Silly Putty from Hair

I tried vegetable oil, mazola cooking spray and neither of them worked well. So, I tried HAND SANITIZER (GERMX, PURELL ect.) It came out instantly!! It was a miracle! The cooking spray, was working, slowly and I was still ripping my daughters hair. Just an FYI for all you reading this, that stuff will get almost anything out of everything w/o damage. Gum, paint, sticky stuff from stickers, anything that is gooey. I think it must be the alcohol content in it. It is my Windex....for anyone who has seen the movie Meet the Fockers. (05/19/2007)

By Teresa

8 Simple Steps To Removing Silly Putty From Hair

1. Get over initial panic aroused by screaming child

2. Locate baby oil under sink, buried beneath the curlers and what-nots

3. Add generous amount of baby oil to putty

4. Work oil in hair until putty is soft

5. Take fine tooth comb and slowly comb putty out

6. Bathe child

7. Throw putty in trash

8. Drink a cup of coffee with a shot of Bailey's to calm nerves. We all know that as long as mom is happy, everyone is happy. ;-)
(07/01/2007)

By Angela

Removing Silly Putty from Hair

I had read about skin so soft, and I had a huge bottle of it (and I don't use cooking spray). After a few minutes it started to dissolve the silly putty and I was able to comb it out with one of those black combs that it seems all boys have. Two shampoos to dissolve the oil, and he's back to "normal" and not girly smelling. (07/23/2007)

By Cheli

Removing Silly Putty from Hair

Pink Silly Putty in my 9 year old boys hair-NOT good! The instant hand sanitizer and a fine took comb worked in seconds. The peanut oil did NOT work.
I feel like supermom! (07/24/2007)

By Dee

Removing Silly Putty from Hair

Purell worked like a charm. Worked it in real good then had the little one jump in the shower. Here is a photo of her hair after the purell melted the Silly Putty.

(12/18/2007)

By Jeff

RE: Removing Silly Putty from Hair

Removing Silly Putty from Hair :(

My 10 year old girl put silly putty in her hair! I called my sister (a hair stylist) she said peanut butter should do the job. It saved my life, after I made her take a bath (it was out just getting the oil out) and i used Dawn it worked, after use regular shampoo and conditioner. (12/29/2007)

By Terri

Removing Silly Putty from Hair

Baby oil worked for me! (01/05/2008)

By Chris

Removing Silly Putty from Hair

PAM did the job! I covered my son's mouth and nose so as not to inhale the PAM spray. The blob has huge right at the front of his head at the scalp. I did allow for a bit of tugging and pulling just to remind him to keep silly things away from his head; by the way, he is 12! Thanks for your help. (02/11/2008)

By Christine

Removing Silly Putty from Hair

Thanks so much for the tip on cooking spray! It worked magic in my daughter's hair this morning. She fell asleep playing with silly putty and awoke this morning to it matted to her hair. It started at the roots so I would have had to SHAVE her head in order to get it out! Thanks so much for helping me save my daughters hair and self confidence. (03/05/2008)

By Tonia

Removing Silly Putty from Hair

During nap time in my PreSchool class my own son decided to sneak silly putty and wear it as a hat! I am so thankful for this website! Handsanitzer was all I could get my hands on and it worked like a charm! Your a God send! (03/24/2008)

By Destiny

Removing Silly Putty from Hair

For little ones: Calmly cuddle with yout child in bed or somewhere relaxing. Reassure them that mom will get it out. Gently massage a few drops of baby oil on both underside and top of puddy. it will become soft like chewed chewing gum, but be slick on the hair. Gently work with little sections- stretch it to remove it. The ball of puddy lifts away from skin as you work with it. After it is removed, take a towel and buff excess oil off. (04/05/2008)

By Kate

Removing Silly Putty from Hair

My daughter left a message on my answering machine early one morning. There were only a few minutes before my granddaughter school bus was due to arrive, and she had somehow managed to get silly putty stuck in her hair. I was in making bread, so I washed my hands, and called her back. Much to my relief, my daughter had thought to try cooking oil.It worked like a charm, and my daughter had the silly putty out, washed her hair, and had her at her bus stop in a matter of minutes.

Being a Grandmother of 23 Grandchildren, I would have recommended baby/ cooking oil. However, any sort of pure oil will safely remove silly putty safely from a child's hair. I have never tried/ used Pam, and would not recommend it. It may work, but it is still a spray. Cooking oil is a purer source of oil, and will not hurt the child, should it accidently gets into their eyes. Whatever you decide to use, I wish you all the very best of luck. (04/16/2008)

By Sharmari1

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 11, 2005 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips TipsNovember 23, 2011
red putty egg
Removing Silly Putty Stains from Microfiber
red putty egg
Removing Silly Putty from Carpet
Red plastic egg for Silly Putty. Removing Silly Putty stains from clothing and fabric.
Removing Silly Putty Stains from Clothing and Fabric
red putty egg
Removing Silly Putty from Upholstered Furniture
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 19, 2017 at 5:28:12 AM on 10.0.0.16 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.