Removing Super Glue from Eyeglasses

Category Miscellaneous
Loctite Super Glue
Super glue is meant to be permanent, so when you get it on something accidentally, it can be frustrating. This is a guide about removing super glue from eyeglasses.

Does anyone know how to remove super glue from plastic eyeglass lens?

By Velma

I doubt very much that you will be able to get the super-glue off because the chemicals in the super-glue will have bonded forever with the plastics in your lenses. I'm sorry because I know how very expenses eyeglasses are (I wear tri-focals).

You can try nail polish remover. The acetate in it melts the super glue, but it might also ruin the lenses. Hospitals use acetate to melt the glue if you glue your fingers together.

I got super glue on my glasses. How can I remove it?

By Dotty

If they are plastic and you can't used acetone all I think of is to leave them in water overnight to see if it will soften the glue enough to get it off without scratching.

I thought about acetone also. That's the only thing I know that works. I would try very little on a cotton swab. Good Luck.

How do I remove super glue from plastic eyeglasses?

Connie

Answers:

Super Glue on Eyeglasses

I would take the glasses to an optics shop and ask them, especially if the lenses are not glass (polycarbonate), are coated, or anything other than plain old glass. If they are glass, I would think acetone would be fine for the lenses; but I would be careful of the frame.

Probably worth the trip to the eyeglasses store, considering the price of glasses. (09/13/2008)

By Jilson

Super Glue on Eyeglasses

I was looking for something on wainscoting, did a search and found this info was on the Bob Vila web site under frequently asked questions:

How do I remove Krazy Glue from glasses, remove Super Glue from prescription lenses?

I would be careful if you have special coatings or plastic lenses as acetone or nail polish remover may damage it, also. Super Glue/Krazy Glue aka cyanoacrylate, may have a chemical reaction with many substances and actually becomes part of it. That is one of the reasons why it works so well.

Here is a how-to on "How Super Glue works". science.howstuffworks.com.

This is a link to the company that makes Super Glue: elfy.com.

And this is how Krazy Glue states to remove it: krazyglue.com.

Sure hope this helps.
(09/16/2008)

By JOAN

Super Glue on Eyeglasses

Read your recommendations. Although had to wince when I put acetone on my eyeglass lens. Three of four swipes with a Q-Tip and it was gone.
Thanks, just saved $150.00 (11/22/2008)

By zamboniz

Super Glue on Eyeglasses

If your glasses lens has become detached from the frame and is marked with super glue, soak the lens in acetate-free nail varnish remover (in UK obtainable at Boots stores @ 1.25 pounds for a bottle) for 24 hours. Then dry off the lens and use a cotton bud soaked in the nail varnish remover to rub the super glue mark. From time to time gently scratch the mark with your fingernail and then resume rubbing with the cotton bud. (03/21/2010)

By Bobo9

How can I remove super glue from my eye glasses?

Janet from Corbin, KY

Answers:

Super Glue on Eyeglasses

You can use acetone nail polish remover. It might remove some coatings from eyeglass lenses. I guess that might be better than having super glue on them, though:) (02/05/2007)

By thriftyboo

Super Glue on Eyeglasses

Yes, I removed glue from my glasses using acetone. I saturated part of a facial tissue with acetone (to the point it was dripping) and put it over the dried glue on the glasses for about 20 minutes. Then I was able to use my fingernail to pry (actually "pop" is a more accurate word) the glue off. I tried to avoid scraping the glasses with my fingernail. It was more a matter of getting the right angle and popping the blobs of glue off. Good luck! (03/03/2007)

By Liz