Share & Vote
Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Repairing a Singer Sewing Machine

0 0EmailFollow
Singer Sewing Machine

Some problems that you may experience with your sewing machine can be repaired or adjusted at home, others will need to be looked at by a repair person. This is a guide about repairing a Singer sewing machine.

Here are questions related to Repairing a Singer Sewing Machine.

Question: Presser Foot on Singer 1301 Loose

inside of machine

I was trying to change the presser foot and somehow held the up/down lever in the back too high and it came out of place and wouldn't lift the foot at all. So I opened it up and fixed the part that lifts and lowers the foot. When I go to sew, with the presser foot down, my fabric is sliding all over the place. The foot is not grabbing onto nor guiding the fabric along. Now I can easily lift and lower the foot inside its coil, without the lever. And it moves around. It's as if something is missing. Can you help?

By Zenaida [1]

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]08/24/2015

In the photo you've posted it looks as though the feed dogs on the throat plate have dropped - if that has happened, you need to raise the feed dogs - problem should be solved. See page 42 of your user manual for directions to raise/lower the feed dogs, or download this free copy of the manual from Singer's website:

http://www.singerco.com/uploads/dow ... 75cdb66ad76b994456401d50e84af7df.pdf

Also see page 74 for troubleshooting if the feed dogs are in the correct position for sewing.

Otherwise, like the previous poster, I think you will need to take your machine to a qualified repair tech. It looks to me as though there is a bit missing just above the spring section of your presser foot and needle shaft - but I'm not familiar with that particular model, and not all models have a piece (very, very small) where I'm thinking I'm seeing something missing.

Go back in with a mini-torch and look around the interior of the machine particularly the area directly below the shaft to see if you can find loose bits. If you can't then you should assume your machine doesn't feature a part there and now you should take the machine to a tech because something else is wrong in there. Only a tech with tools and access/experience with your Singer model will be able to work out what's wrong at this point.

I'm self taught and do own a Singer service manual but not for that model.

Question: Unable to Change Stitch Length on Sewing Machine

I'm a newbie at sewing and I'm having a problem with my sewing machine. It is a Singer 6215c. It worked great before until last week. It sews, but is somehow stuck on the shortest stitch length. The knob moves, but the machine would only sew with shortest length even with the knob pointed on the longest stitch length.

I have checked the tension, rethreaded several times, checked bobbin, and dusted the areas accessible, but the problem still persists. Thank you.

By Irish Joy R. [1]

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]06/11/2015

First: check your user guide manual to be sure you have ALL of the settings correct. Here's a link to a free download from the Singer website (USA) for the Singer 6215, pay especial attention to page 14 and the troubleshooting page 41:

http://www.singerco.com/uploads/download/1316_6215.pdf

Your machine was built in the early 1980s making it a definite 'vintage' machine with most of the gears made with silicone, rubber, and plastics for the gear 'teeth'. Over time these materials wear down, crumble, and snap off, and it sounds to me as though that is the problem with your vintage Singer.

The previous poster is right - you need to take this to someone with experience and training (a professional or a 'self-taught' repair tech with a sterling reputation). Not only is this a tricky repair, it requires specialised tools and access to parts.

Not all vintage sewing machine parts are 'new-milled', too, and with a vintage machine it's common for a repair tech to have to use 'salvage parts' with unknown sewing hours and conditions - the part may look fab but has been stressed by sewing conditions (too fast seaming, lack of regular maintenance, dusty sewing area, more) - with a salvage part no repair tech worth his or her salt can make a prediction as to the longevity of that part.

Be sure to ask your tech if he/she is using salvage parts on your repair, and make sure he/she does a servicing on it whilst in their workshop - cleaning, oiling, and checking for potential problems. With vintage machines, an annual servicing is the only way to ensure sewing hours reliability.

Once parts begin to break down on a machine it becomes a money pit even if new-milled parts are available, btw. Consider replacing your vintage with a comparable new machine under warranty. A good repair tech will fall in love with your vintage machine but will also tell you about the money pit factor and will recommend a new under warranty machine.

I live in Scotland after 50+years in the US; I teach sewing and do limited vintage machine repairs. When one of my students brings me a vintage machine that has sadly become a money pit I usually recommend the 3321 with the 4-step buttonholer or 3323 with the one-step buttonholer Talent line as these are fairly user-friendly with good features that aren't quickly outgrown, are comparable to your vintage 6215, and reasonably priced. The Confidence line is a step-up but doesn't have the same reliability reputation as the Talent line.

Do your research and whatever you do, be sure to choose a machine with a top drop-in bobbin for ease of use and virtually jam-proof sewing.

Question: Locking Hand Wheel on Singer Machine

How do I get the handwheel to lock on my Singer sewing machine?

By MrgrtHmpt [1]

Most Recent Answer

By Catherine [7]06/15/2015

Hello! Usually the hand wheel is locked and unlocked by moving its central part. The central part acts like a knob and locks and unlocks the hand wheel when moved from back to front. With some models you may have to first pull the knob to be able to move it and with a new model of sewing machine the hand wheel can't be locked because the hand wheel is not used anymore to wind a bobbin.

Question: Repairing a Singer Sewing Machine

I have a Singer Esteem II and it was sewing fine and then slowed way down as if in slow motion, then stopped. I was able to lift the foot and at that point the needle was up, so I got my project out. But the hand crank was almost impossible to move. I did get it to move a bit, but now the needle is down into the needle plate and will not move at all now. I have re-threaded the bobbin and checked the bobbin area for lint. I have checked the parts of the machine I can get to, to see if lint is the problem.

I took it to a service guy, who said he didn't see anything that looked wrong, and was confident he could oil and clean it and it would be fine, for a mere $90! Well I am a mom of 4, and only paid a $100 for the machine new. He said I should consider buying one of his machines and proceeded into his pitch.

Please, I need this thing to work. I have tried to Google Singer Esteem II hand crank froze, but I am not finding anything. I am hoping some of you crafty, intelligent sewers will have advice for this very frustrated mom.

By sadandneedhelp [1]

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]05/15/2015

After 50 years in the US, I now live in Scotland where I teach total newbies sewing - they frequently bring me vintage machines like yours for refurb-repair. It sounds to me as though you had a very unfortunate experience with a repair tech who should have known immediately the problem is a worn-broken bobbin gear. He acted unethically by not telling you that and instead saying he couldn't find a problem but for $90USD would clean and oil your machine (usually costs around $35-50USD - however, the proper repair, parts and labour plus the servicing would cost you right at $100USD if you'd found an honest repair tech).

Adding to the unethical bit is that he didn't explain to you why he and I and many other repair techs try to steer vintage machine owners to new under warranty machines - here's the reason.

Vintage machines (and yours is) of any make are wonders, gracious beauties that clothed our grans, mums, and children from cradle to wedding, and made our homes more cosy and gracious (oh, the number of tablecloths and napkins I blind hemmed growing up!).

But they were built (from about the mid-late 60s) with more and more and more plastic and silicone parts, and those parts DO dry out and break, dry out and crumble, and dry out and fail. Later rather than sooner those parts do fail even though those machines were built (usually) to last, and when those parts fail it's been harder and harder for repair techs to find 'new-milled' parts - we're stuck using 'salvage parts' with sketchy previous owner histories (meaning we've no real clue what conditions that part laboured under on the machine we/the parts seller salvaged them from). So we can't guarantee the longevity of those parts even if/when we can find them.

A reputable repair tech would have explained this to you, and a reputable tech would have told you it's 99.9% surely the bobbin gear (because trust me, it usually is with the symptoms you describe). And then he/she (I'm a pushing-60yo woman:) would have tried...

To steer you to a new modern under warranty machine for several years of trouble free sewing. Especially because your beautiful (and should be retired) vintage Singer has reached the point of becoming a money pit - once the bobbin gear goes, the machine goes on to have several other parts fail, usually within a year of the bobbin gear 'dying'.

I'm so sorry you had the experience you did because it makes it harder for those of us who are more, em, caring towards our students/repair customers - we're so in love with sewing and our machines we'll go on for pages and hours explaining or trying to help sewers resolve a problem. If money is a factor we'll try to get you sewing by 'duct tape and bubble-gum' or find you a little newer vintage (read inexpensive but working) machine until you can afford a new modern.

The guy you talked to just wanted to get the hours in for his paycheque or get your machine in his workshop to 'clean' (then tell you, 'Oops, it's dead, I'll give you $10 for it' so he could use it for salvage parts), or BONUS (for him): get you to buy one of the machines he's flogging. Not. Cool.

I wish I could give you better news, but I hope at least I've helped you understand that even an ethical repair tech would have charged what seems a large sum - although that price should have included a 'new' bobbin gear, the labour to switch it out, and his/her version of what I'm saying in this reply - and encouraged you to buy a new modern instead of beginning the slide into MoneyPitVille.

If you decide to avoid money pits and can swing the cost of a new modern with warranty, user guide, and good features you won't outgrow any time soon, I would recommend a top drop-in bobbin Singer (currently around $99-$150 depending on model and store you shop, and if you have the $150 or so I highly recommend the Talent 3323 (one-step buttonhole) or the slightly less expensive Talent 3321 (4-step buttonhole). Janome also make a couple models of 'basic' sewing machines at roughly the same cost.

Question: Top Thread Catching on Bobbin

closeup of bobbinI just bought a new Singer Simple 3229 as my first sewing machine. The thread would jam in the bobbin area very frequently, making it virtually unusable (due to frustration and having to re-sew the area over and over). So, I opened my machine up to see what was happening. I followed the procedure to pull the bobbin thread up, and noticed that the top thread gets caught slightly on the front above the bobbin. Also, the same thread gets caught at the very end just before it would pull the bobbin thread up with it. Is there any way to fix this? I am getting pretty frustrated with it. bobbin

By Jason

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]01/15/2015

May I just add that if you do go for a return-refund, and are looking for a good entry level Singer you won't outgrow too soon, the Talent 3321 is a good one to look at - lots of nice stitches, handles most fabrics well (two layers of medium weight denim but no more than that), and best of all - features the jam proof 'top drop-in' bobbin style. The user guide leaves a lot to be desired for beginners but the Simplicity or Singer sewing step-by-step books are really helpful for sewers of all levels.

Also a good first machines are the simple Janome top drop-ins, again, the user guide is not the greatest.

Don't give up. Sewing is beyond fab for creative outlets and money saving.

Question: Sewing Machine Presser Foot Port Pushed In

I have a Singer sewing machine, model #7463. I took it out of the case today and the port that the presser foot goes into seems to be pushed into the machine. I'm not sure how to take it apart to check the problem.

By Karen Edgar [1]

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]08/16/2015

First of all, here's a link to the US Singer site free download manual:

http://www.singerco.com/uploads/download/546_7463_efs.pdf

I'm going to assume (hope) you didn't try to plug in the machine and turn it on. So unplugged and not in the on mode, try to lift the pressure foot using the lever (located under the machine head, to the right of the pressure foot and attached to the presser foot and needle column. Next, turn the hand wheel towards you to see if the foot lifts enough for you to insert (should be a snap-on insertion method on this model machine) a presser foot.

If the presser foot and needle column doesn't lift using the lever and the hand wheel - something inside the head and machine has either become clogged with thread lint and fuzz - see the manual for guidance clearing a thread choke; or possibly a gear has broken and this isn't a fix to be done by the untrained.

To be honest, clearing lint should be a routine part of your sewing habits - to be done every time you finish a project or at least once a month - so I'd like to think your problem isn't clogging or caught thread bits.

Either way, though, this isn't something you can fix a home if the simple fixes above don't resolve your issue, and a trip to the repair tech is called for.

The Singer Confidence 7463 is a fairly complicated machine and isn't suitable for home DIY repairs. I've worked on a few (I teach sewing and do some repairs and refurbs on my students machines) and they aren't simple machines in my experience. Most sewing machines with the stitch patterns and other features like the ones on the 7463 are best worked on by someone with training, service manuals, and the proper tool kit for working on sewing machines - in other words, a professional.

I live in the UK so can't really give you a ballpark figure on what a repair tech would charge you somewhere else.

Question: Sewing Machine Doesn't Work

Someone dropped my Kenmore Ultra Stitch 12 sewing machine. It was working before this. Now the needle bar, the straight piece that controls the needle going up and down, doesn't move up and down at all.

The hand wheel, the wheel at the end that manually turns to make the needle go up and down, does spin. I opened it up and the larger, outer and the smaller belt also move, but the long horizontal shaft that connects the hand wheel to the needle bar does "not" rotate/move at all.

I've disengaged and re-engaged the hand wheel and made sure the bobbin winding assembly, the button on top that lets one disengage the needle to refill the bobbin, wasn't engaged. So it's not that. Just looking inside doesn't show me anything loose or bent. Any ideas? Please?

By Donna [260]

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]08/02/2015

The only thing you can do is to take your machine to a Kenmore qualified repair tech. Finding and repairing the problem just isn't a home DIY bit of work.

Question: Singer Quantum L-500 Won't Sew

My machine turns on and all the buttons light up and the machine won't operate. Any suggestions on how to get it to work?

By Sharleen P. [1]

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]07/25/2015

If a 'shock reboot' doesn't get your machine sewing again, it's time to take it to a Singer factory qualified repair tech - it's possible your software or motherboard have failed.

A 'shock reboot' is done by plugging the machine in, turning it on, letting it sit for 90 seconds, then pulling the plug out of the wall socket power point. Don't turn it off at the machine switch - pull the plug out of the wall while the machine is turned on.

Wait five minutes then plug it back in and turn it on - if your software isn't corrupted or the motherboard in fail, the shock reboot will reset the machine to the factory default settings, and you should be able to start sewing again following your user guide to reset your preferred settings.

Some Singer computerised manuals mention the shock reboot in the manual, some do not.

If you're not comfortable doing the shock reboot, simply pack it up and take it to the tech.

Question: Sewing Machine Runs Without Foot Pedal

I am asking on behalf of my mum, she has a Singer Concerto 2 Model 9217 sewing machine. Her sewing machine runs itself! It starts running when she turns it on without touching any buttons, etc. without using the pedal and it is quite fast. So out of safety she has turned it off and not used it since. I have assumed it may be an electrical problem, but I honestly have no idea with sewing machines with how they work, etc. Could anybody please point me to some sort of direction of what this could be or connected with?

By Preet [1]

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]05/27/2015

This is an electrical problem - it could be a faulty connection, a broken-worn-and/or frayed wire in the foot pedal - she may not put any pressure on the foot pedal but if the problem is in the foot pedal wiring, it could easily be transmitting the wrong signal (to operate at a high speed) to the machine; or the problem could be in the machine just behind the connection point (where the foot pedal connects to the machine). There could be a crack in the connection point where the foot pedal and power cords join the machine OR the power point at the mains (wall outlet plug).

It really is not a job for the average home sewer. Most electricians or someone with some electrical skill and training should be able to find and fix the problem but it would be best if you could take the machine to a sewing machine repair technician. A sewing machine repair tech will have the skills, tools, and access to repair parts.

Until you have the machine checked by someone who really understands electricity, please do not run the machine - any user runs a very real risk of injury from the speeding needle and presser foot, or from an electrical shock.

Question: Singer Sewing Machine Jammed

I have a Singer 7364 sewing machine. The needle won't go down when I turn the wheel and it makes a loud 'EERR' sound. When I tried to sew it wouldn't let me. Even to turn the hand wheel round is a problem as it doesn't turn all the way around which doesn't allow the needle to go to the highest level or lowest level.

I've taken the bobbin plate off, as well as the bobbin case, to examine further and when I did look further down under it I saw some pieces of greasy threads jammed in what looks like 2 black metal cogs. I plucked them out, but still I'm having trouble getting it to work. I know it's not the bobbin winder as it's been pushed to the left away from the hand wheel.

I have also tried taking the machine apart. I unscrewed all the necessary screws, but the frames won't budge. Please help!

By jessicacu [1]

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]05/23/2015

I live in Scotland now (but spent 40+years in the US); I teach total newbies how to sew, and I'm do a bit of repair tech work as well. I know, therefore, whereof I speak.

First, I think you may have switched up your model identification numbers as there isn't a Singer 7364 - but there IS a Singer 7463, also called a Confidence. Here's a link to the free user manual download from the Singer USA site:

If your machine is indeed the Confidence 7463, it's not quite a 'vintage' machine but it is coming close to being considered one - and may be one if older than ten years at this point. Singer machines are wonderful, with many (including the Confidence) being considered 'basic+' entry level machines with very reasonable pricing - but these ARE NOT our gran's sewing machines and so will A-become 'vintage' much sooner than in previous build days, and B-wear out much sooner than previous builds.

It is possible to eke more years out of these machines - but to do so the owner-user needs to be scrupulous about annual servicing...no offence but I do have the feeling (mostly from the mention of what you pulled from the 'hook race' area) that servicing hasn't been kept up with on your machine.

Right, it sounds to me as though the bobbin gear has failed, or there is something caught in that area - and no, it's not the 'hook race' area you've cleaned, but deeper into the machine and you REALLY shouldn't have tried to go in there! For starters, you're VERY lucky you didn't get the electrical shock of your life - static build-up has to be discharged and if not done so correctly has the power (pun intended) to cause grievous bodily harm if not death.

You have created what most repair techs refer to as 'a basket case' meaning it requires a container to carry the machine and all the parts removed in a well intentioned attempt to save some money on repairs.

At the point your machine is now, your ONLY option is to gather up all the bits into a sturdy box and take the machine to a qualified (factory trained, preferably) for repair and putting back together what you've undone.

The repair tech is going to charge you from $50-$125 and this cost will be for the parts and labour to repair the machine+his/her extra efforts for putting your basket case back together correctly - if he/she is feeling generous, the cost MAY include a proper servicing as well but don't count on that generosity.

Be properly apologetic for trying something you're not at all qualified to attempt, and he/she may only charge you an additional $25 for a servicing (cleaning, oiling, checking for your next parts fail). Otherwise you will likely be charged another $40-65 for the servicing - but either way you should pay for that servicing because without a proper servicing that machine is going to break down again and sooner, rather than later.

If he/she attempts to convince you to give up on the machine - ask why, and listen very carefully to everything he/she says. It may be the machine has been abused to the point it cannot be reliably repaired and should be 'retired'.

A new machine comparable to your 7463 will cost you around $200USD - but will come with a warranty and the chance to start with a new machine you will hopefully take for regular servicing - EVERY YEAR.

Question: Singer Sewing Machine Won't Stitch

I have a Singer Merritt, model 4552. It was sewing fine last week. Everything is in place, but it won't stitch at all. I don't know what to do and I have to get this skirt made now. I guess I will have to do it by hand then.

By Yasaman V. [1]

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]04/27/2015

Hoping by now (I'm posting this reply on the 27th of April) you've been able to finish your garment, and have taken your vintage machine to a reliable repair tech - your machine probably has a worn or broken part. Other reasons for your described issue include thread fluff and lint in spots you can't see or reach, broken wires in the connection point for the foot or knee control, and a few other things.

The best person to figure all this out and do the repairs is a sewing machine repair tech - he/she will have the knowledge and tools for the work.

The only thing wrong with electric vintage sewing machines is that the parts do wear out - Singer began using plastics including silicone to form gear teeth (on the bobbin gear for example) and those do wear out eventually. There are other parts on a vintage machine that wear out as well - some vintage Singers as recently as the late 70s - early 80s were using belts inside and those wear out after several years.

Hope your machine is back up and running for you soon!

Question: Singer Sews Stitches Upside Down

I bought a brand new Singer Patchwork. I brought it home and got it out of the box, set it up, and read the manual. Then I grabbed my quilting scraps. I'm ready to test it out, but when I do I notice it sews the stitches on the bottom side of the work rather than the topside. So I rethread and try again, same thing. I run through every notch of tension, same thing. I re-read the manual and there isn't anything indicating that this machine should do this regularly. So are there any other suggestions for this brand new Patchwork machine? I would love more than anything to be able to start using it for quilting =), but am needing to know if the pattern from stitches is going to be on top or bottom. It is pretty important. Thanks in advance if there is help out there.

By Shannon C.

Most Recent Answer

By Dinah Ackerson [2]03/18/2015

Suggest you contact the store where purchased or the manufacturer's customer help site for assistance.

Question: Hand Wheel on Singer Sewing Machine Came Off

The hand wheel of my Singer 7465 sewing machine popped right off and flew across the room. Will I be able to get it back on myself? It looks like it's a bit tricky. Thanks.

By Georgie

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]03/18/2015

Oh yikes! Yes, this is tricky and not a job for the home sewing machine user without training. There are two or three parts to the hand wheel (depends on model year) and aside from the wheel these are very small parts you may not have noticed when the hand wheel flew off.

Too, for the hand wheel to have come off and flown across room there had to have been considerable force from inside the machine, indication a very serious part(s) failure.

Gather up everything you can find from the hand wheel explosion and take it all including the machine to a qualified Singer repair tech - look through your local telephone directory or online search results (using a search term that includes your locale and Singer sewing machine repair); be sure to check only the adverts clearly stating 'qualified' or 'factory authorised', and to telephone or visit to get an estimate that includes a servicing (oiling and cleaning plus a complete check over in addition to repairing the hand wheel crisis).

Please believe me that this is not a job for the home sewer without training. I do vintage repairs here in Scotland for my sewing students, and can promise you there is so much 'tricky' to repairing a sewing machine it's not worth risking the machine to try a home repair.

Question: Sewing Machine Only Runs Fast

My Singer 237 runs "fast" only. What is the least costly, but effective, way to solve this problem? It works fine other than the non variable speed.
                      The power cord looks to be plugged in to the machine, but cannot be pulled out.

By jmjtucker

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]02/15/2015

Do not try to use this machine! You have a very serious electrical problem - the connections have short-circuited and burnt to the point of fusing the connection to the inside of the machine.

Take your machine to a qualified Singer repair tech, or replace the machine completely - this machine is dangerous and a fire waiting to happen!

Question: Singer 201 Sewing Machine Repair

We purchased a vintage Singer 201. This cute little machine with the potted motor was Singer's darling at one time. Our machine motor runs just fine, when disingaged from the head. You can manually turn the wheel with difficulty. The machine will run efficiently if you turn it over on its side! As soon as my husband tips it back up, it starts to slow then stops like it's catching. Any ideas? I have taken it apart carefully and I can't find a thing wrong with it. Thanks.

By MAW

Most Recent Answer

By Dinah Ackerson [2]01/17/2015

Well, you could take the machine to a repair shop? With rather old machines, there could be many possibilities and who knows what the last owner and repair shop did to "fix" the machine.

Question: Singer 6268 Only Sews in Reverse

photo of sewing machine on manual coverI purchased it used, in unknown condition. It only sews in reverse even when the reverse function is not selected. Any help or hope resolving?

By Diane B.

Most Recent Answer

By Dinah Ackerson [2]12/26/2014

There could be many problems resulting in the machine's current difficulties. If you are interested in keeping the machine, the best plan would be to take the machine to a repair shop. The shop can examine the machine and give you an estimate of the current condition and what can be done to fix the problems (there will probably be an initial exam cost). You can then decide if it is worth the cost to repair.

Question: Noise in Sewing Machine

On a Singer sewing machine 179502, there is a rattle coming from rocker arm that drives the hook assembly. The noise is where the rocker arm connects to the drive shaft from the motor. There is about 1/64" play. Should there be a bushing there to take up slack?

By Bob J.

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]01/06/2015

Can you post a photo of the machine, and another of the area where you think the bushing should be?

This isn't a model I'm familiar with but I know most antique and vintage Singer machines didn't have a bushing near the hook assembly. Is this an industrial machine?

I have a link for a service manual free download for 66 and 99 treadle and hand crank machines I can post for you if that will help you - post me a message (click on my screenname to access the message system) and I'll get the link posted.

Question: Singer 6268 Stopped Sewing

My old Singer 6268 machine died. Does anyone know if the problem is the motherboard and if so, where can I purchase a motherboard?

By Clare

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]02/15/2015

If you haven't already, this machine needs the attention of a qualified Singer repair tech. Replacing the motherboard on a computerised machine isn't something that can be done at home, especially on a vintage computerised machine like the 6268.

Question: Singer 3116 Handwheel Won't Turn

I had to replace a needle in my Singer 3116 today. After properly replacing the needle, the handwheel will not turn "at all" and needle not moving as a result. I opened up my machine to clear out any dust or threads, checked the bobbin, and ran through the trouble-shooting steps in the manual. Still no luck. Now what?

By jlp

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]01/15/2015

I posted an answer to this back in December but I see it's not showing - if you haven't given up on this machine, it's a fairly simple fix for a repair tech - your bobbin gear has 'died'. In the US the repair+a good servicing will cost you around $100, here in the UK around £60.

Question: Machine Locks and Won't Sew

I bought a new bobbin case (verified for the correct one) for my Singer 6104. When I hold it in with my finger it sews fine, but when I put the lever over it that holds it in place it locks up.
                      What is the problem?

By Gloria

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]10/30/2014

The packaging for the new case was labelled incorrectly - take the part back to the shop along with your machine and show them it's not the right one. If you bought the case online, take pictures of the part in the machine, and email the company.

And if you ordered this directly from SingerCo, you need to let them know this part and the lot it came in with is mislabelled. They'll take care of the problem for you but it may take a few weeks - be sure to keep a note of the lot number on the incorrect part so that you can check the next one before you even open the package.

The reason it works when you press on it with your finger but not when the lever is closed is because it's the wrong one - the weight of your finger compensates for the incorrect size but when the lever is closed and the case 'seated', it doesn't really seat. A millimetre difference is enough to cause the problem you're having.

You need to find a Singer trained repair tech in a sewing centre - he/she will be able to source the correct part, and will keep at it until it's right.

Question: Thread Tangling on Singer Sewing Machine

My Singer sewing machine keeps on tangling up my thread.
                      I have tried everything. Please help!

By Grace from Jackson NJ

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]10/13/2014

You don't give a lot of information in your question - how old and what model is your Singer, for starters.

However, tangling thread often means one of a couple of problems:

Are you using the correct thread, needle size, and settings for your fabric?

Are your feed dogs set correctly for the fabric you're using?

Have you followed your user guide instructions for setting the tension?

Are you taking care to hold the starting threads firmly about six inches back from the starting line whilst making the first few stitches?

If none of that helps, depending on the age of your machine it may mean your bobbin gear has worn to the point where you can still pick it up with the top thread but it won't advance the threads any further. Time for a visit to a qualified repair tech!

Question: Singer Sewing Machine Not Stitching

The stitches knob is stuck, it won't turn.

By Suzy

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]08/25/2014

Take the machine to a sewing centre for a qualified repair tech to fix - your problem could be anything from lint build-up to a broken/worn gear, and as you don't say what model and age your machine is, only a professional with the physical machine in front of him/her can figure out the trouble.

I repair and restore Singers of all ages here in Scotland - a visit to my workshop would start at around £40 and go higher if I needed to find parts to repair your machine. You would get back a clean, serviced and repaired (if needed) fully functional sewing machine, and this is something you can expect from a good repair tech no matter what country and currency - your machine should be serviced including checking for all problems (or ones about to happen)+the original problem sorted too.

Question: Replacement Part for Singer 316G Sewing Machine

I'm looking for a replacement for the metal "arm" that holds the light on my Singer 316G. Any ideas would be appreciated. I have been looking everywhere for a bit now. Thanks.

By peanutrestoration

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]03/17/2014

Have you tried: http://www.tandtrepair.com/

If he doesn't have the part he'll either know where it is, or that the part is simply unavailable anywhere (doubtful, I'd be shocked if he doesn't have it!).

He is extremely reliable, honest, and beyond helpful - no, lol, I'm not him nor am I related in any way - I don't even live in the same country anymore. I just know several vintage Singer sewing machine lovers in the US who couldn't manage without him:)

Question: Singer Featherweight Foot Pedal Intermittent

I have a Singer Featherweight machine that sews a beautiful stitch; however, when I depress the foot pedal, sometimes I have to turn the flywheel to get it going. Then it sews like a dream. Is this a problem with the foot pedal or something else?

By Barb from Rockford, MI

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]03/17/2014

Depending on the age of your particular Featherweight, it sounds like the belt OR gear inside the machine (right next to the handwheel, inside the machine) is slipping.

These belts/gears do wear over time but are easily replaced - the manual for your model will show step-by-step for where your belt is and how to replace it. Having it done professionally shouldn't be terribly expensive but if you do have a repair tech do the work, splash out a bit extra and have the machine serviced at the same time.

Question: Bobbin or Bobbin Case Not Working or Jammed

My friend has a Singer 1030 Creative Fashion sewing machine and the bobbin or case isn't moving at all?

By Christine

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]06/03/2013

I'm including a link to the owner's manual for that machine-your friend should look at page 66 for where and how to clean the bobbing housing. There is probably lint or a piece of thread caught in the area just behind the drop-in. A small paint brush or sewing machine lint brush will fit in there and knock the lint, etc, forward so that it can be removed-refer to the illustration on page 66:

http://www.singerco.com/uploads/dow ... 84202f0a5dff0eca37036c41dc3cb14f.pdf

Be patient, that manual is the slowest loading one I've seen yet on the Singer download page. And then scrolling through it is a pain too, she might want to print it out to make using it a lot easier!

If that doesn't help, then something is wrong inside the machine (usually the bobbin gear) and should be looked at by a technician who understands these vintage Singers.

If the link takes your friend to the 'download page' instead of straight to the pdf, all she has to do is read down the list until she finds her model and the free download link; if it takes her to the search page, just key in '1030' and the download page will come up.

I usually print the manuals out and put them into a three ring binder for easier use.

Question: Repairing a Singer Sewing Machine model 6104

I have a Singer sewing machine, model 6104. I can't sew. I have changed the needle, re-threaded a thousand times, changed thread, and turned the bobbin around. I think I fixed the timing. Now the needle picks up thread and goes around bobbin, but it does not sew. Please help. This is an old simple machine, but will cost me more to repair than a possible new machine.

By sarayaker from Miami, FL

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]04/16/2013

Did the problem start after you think you fixed the timing? It's entirely possible that you reversed a part when putting the machine back together. Next time, take before pictures, that's always a help to me when I take apart a machine. If it makes you feel any better, reversing parts is easy to do even with before pics-ask me how I know this lol! And interestingly, I learned that on a Singer 6103, the previous model to yours.

At this point you're best off taking the machine to a professional, the repair and a 'tune-up should cost you less than $100USD. The professional will be able to look at the inside of the machine and fix the problem in a very short amount of time, plus he/she will be able check for any other problems and should have new-milled parts for your machine in his/her workshop.

In the meantime, have a look through your machine manual, there may be something in there that will help you. The link should take you to the pdf which is free to download from the Singer Company (be patient, the download takes a while):

http://www.singerco.com/uploads/download/1301_6104.pdf

The Singer 6104 (and the Singer 6103 which I love, it's the only vintage electric machine I'll fool with nowadays) is a really nice vintage machine, very reliable and hard to 'kill'. It makes an incredible straight and zig-zag stitch, just really nice look to the stitches. Usually a vintage zig-zag machine will not sew a perfectly straight line in straight stitch mode but the 6100 series machines were well known for being one of the very few machines that did manage both type of stitches.

The cost to having a professional fix and do the tune-up is well worth it, you have a really great machine that should still be able to give you years of sewing performance.

Please update when you find out what the problem was!

Question: Singer 533 Doesn't Work After Cleaning

I took it apart for cleaning and oiling and after putting it back together I've had a series of problems and I don't know what's wrong! I think I put parts of it together wrong.

The first issue was with the knob on the end that you loosen up to wind a bobbin: normally this turns less than half a turn to loosen it which prevents the needle from moving up and down; then tightened for sew mode and movement of the needle; the first problem was that the needle didn't move when it should so my husband tightened it for me, but then the needle moved even in wind mode.

I got that fixed, and then I couldn't remember how to put together the bobbin casing that I took apart. The pic in my manual wasn't clear; I finally found one on the internet and put it all together, started sewing and my needle broke off; it hit something. I redid the assembly and now by bobbin thread won't catch. I'm not sure how to fix it now.

Any clear pics of order pieces go together in bobbin casing area? Or specific instructions on it? Thanks.

By Jewell

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]10/15/2012

Here's a link for a US based sewing machine genius-he offers a lot of free information, and sells service manuals for vintage sewing machines like yours (I have a 513 made here in the UK and have learned a lot from TNT!):

http://www.tandtrepair.com/index.html

Can't stress enough that when you are cleaning/repairing/refurbishing a vintage machine, especially a Singer, that before pics are a must (ask me how I learned that), and that those before pics are checked for clear 'readability' before taking the physical parts off the machine.

It sounds as though you may have inadvertently gummed up the timing on your 533, TNT should be able to steer you in the right direction though.

This site offers a little free information and a lot of 'for sale' info. I think if I still lived in the US I might consider trying something from him, though, because he seems to know his stuff from reading the free pages:

http://sewmachinerepair.com/

Finally, give this site a look, some of the links are 'dead' but others are still working and there is a ton of info on the whole site, which works from the US as well as the UK-found that out on a visit to my son last year:

http://sewing-machines.blogspot.co.uk/2008/08/singer-online-manuals.html

Question: Repairing a Singer Sewing Machine That Skips Stitches

I have a Singer model 6268 from 1986, it sews a perfect straight stitch, but skips on all others. What could cause this?

By Lachelle from Granby, MO

Most Recent Answer

By mcw [78]09/13/2010

It's well worth the money to have it repaired by an expect. The timing might have to be set. Don't attempt to fix it yourself if you don't know what you're doing.

Question: Bobbin Case Won't Move

I have a Singer Touch & Sew #625. I have set the time (I thought), but in doing that I found the bobbin case won't turn to pick up the top thread. While looking inside the machine, it looks like 2 gears under the handwheel are not engaging. I assume this keeps the bobbin case from turning. Any suggestions?

By Myrene R. [1]

Question: Repairing a Singer 240 Sewing Machine

I have a Singer 240 sewing machine. How could I change the vertical arm, including gear? The gear is borken and I bought a new one, but I don't know how take out the horizontal arm that runs from ban rounder to the arm of the needle system.

By Mala Ga

Solutions: Repairing a Singer Sewing Machine

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!