Repairing a Singer Sewing Machine

Some problems that you may experience with your sewing machine can be repaired or adjusted at home, others will need to be looked at by a repair person. This is a guide about repairing a Singer sewing machine.

Singer Sewing Machine
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 4, 2016 Flag

I have a Kenmore 8 sewing machine. The needle will move up and down with the handwheel on the right, but not with the pedal. When I press down the pedal the wheel moves, but the needle does not. I checked the bobbin threading position and also took apart the bobbin area and there was no tangled thread that I could see. The machine zooms like it's working, but the needle is still. Any ideas?
Thanks so much!

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A belt might be broken. Take cover off machine and check that.

Read More Answers...

March 12, 2016 Flag

I got a Singer sewing machine model 7011. It stitches on the top, but gathers on the bottom of the fabric. We changed the bobbin, but nothing changed. What would be the next step? We got it at a garage sale about 10yrs ago.

When thread is bunching underneath the fabric it is usually a problem of tension balance. The upper thread doesn't go down enough. Reduce the tension on the needle thread by putting the tension knob on an average tension level.

There is also a little screw on the bobbin holder that adjust the tension on the bobbin thread you can tighten it with a screw driver. As Grandma J. said dusting, cleaning all parts

of the machine where the threads go through is very important specially the tension disks in your case (these are the disks the tension knob is pressing on) and of course make sure you are using the same kind of thread for the bobbin and to feed the needle.

They can be different in colours but they must be the same type of thread, cotton or polyester and good quality threads made for sewing machine and not thread for hand sewing which are wax coated to make them stronger.

If they are different in type it will be very difficult to balance the tension as for example cotton thread and polyester thread do not have the same elasticity.

Balancing the tension is the tricky part of sewing with a sewing machine even with the most modern machines. Once you have succeeded don't forget that the first thing you should sew is a proper cover made to the shape of your machine that will protect it from dust.

Hope this helps !

Read More Answers...

June 16, 2016 Flag

I am a beginner sewer. I borrowed a machine, a Singer CG 500/550, and somehow the piece that you put the bobbin onto to put thread on the bobbin came unhooked within the machine. I opened the machine up, but have no clue how to connect the piece again. Help?

June 13, 2016 Flag

My Singer 247 won't go into reverse stitching. I took off the knobs, but cannot see why it won't work. Nothing seems broken. I oiled it. Any ideas?

April 6, 2016 Flag

I just bought a Singer 301a. The needle is centre correctly, but my attached presser foot is not. It is shifted to the left so the needle is very close to the right hand side of the foot. This is the case for all the feet. How do I adjust the presser foot bar so they are centred correctly. Otherwise, I see broken needles in my future.

Here's a link to the user guide for your vintage slant needle machine:

http://www.singerco.com/uploads/dow ... 8d6b837d82e1e8bef36ad0d14d6145d0.pdf

And here's a link to the most reliable online parts and repair tech EVER - he is in American Samoa and what he doesn't know about vintage Singers isn't worth worrying about:

tandtrepair.com

Now - what I suspect (I'm a self-taught successful vintage Singer repair tech here in Scotland) is your machine is currently wearing the wrong class feet - probably 66 or 15.

But your machine is a slant needle machine which means your machine needs the specialised slant feet.

Being off by as little as 1mm will cause the problems you describe, and there is that little difference between class 66, 15, and slant needle machine feet. They may all look the same but they are not. Contact a reliable local repair tech - he/she should be able to trade you your class 66 or 15 feet for the slant feet you need - it may cost you a few (insert your local currency name here) but will get your gorgeous vintage slant Singer back to sewing.

Congratulations on the find of a slant, by the way. Lovely machines that make an outstanding stitch. Go to tandrepair.com and have a good long browse about the slants. He also sells parts, manuals (domestic and service), and posts a great lot of very helpful information and links regarding caring for and maintaining these lovely ladies of Singer sewing.

Read More Answers...

May 3, 2016 Flag

I have an original Singer Touch and Sew 720. Until tonight it was in perfect working order. I lifted the presser bar, when I went to lower it again the lever made a click sound and the bar now won't move at all. The lever just wiggles about without any noticeable tension against it. Does anyone know how I access the lever and repair it?
            Thanks in advance.

The plastic gear that lifts and lowers the presser bar has worn and the click you heard was its 'dying gasp'.

This isn't something you can repair at home - take your Touch and Sew to a Singer factory trained repair tech. The Touch and Sew is a tricky machine to work on so you need to be sure you take it to a qualified (ie 'factory trained') tech.

June 6, 2016 Flag

I have a Singer Sewing Machine Model #4220. I tired everything to fix it. What has happened is that the wheel on side of the sewing machine will turn when doing it by hand, but when I push the foot pedal down it will not turn at all. It just makes noise. Can you help me?

Singer Sewing Machine belt
                Singer Sewing Machine Won't Sew

February 24, 2016 Flag

I bought an old Singer 6110 from a yardsale. It plugs in, and the light turns on, but when I press the foot pedal, it doesn't run. The cords and foot pedal seem to be in good shape. I need a little help.

What about my quest to become a self taught tech by searching for tips and information on the Internet? So far I'm not having much luck. Gotta start somewhere :-/

Read More Answers...

December 28, 2015 Flag

This is a borrowed machine, a Singer Stylist 418. I have a model similar to this but a few years newer. They operate basically the same. My problem is with the bobbin. The needle will not pick up the thread....nothing. The bobbin was almost empty, and the thread caught inside the bobbin area. It would not come out, I pulled it hard and it broke off. I rewound a new bobbin, and the needle, unlike my machine, went up and down during the winding process. Now, it will not pick up the thread. I changed the needle, adjusted the needle, re-threaded the machine several times, the bobbin is in correctly. I took out the bobbin housing and removed the little piece of thread left in the area. Any advice from someone?

Bonnepm, thank-you for your update! The Stylist was (is when still operational:) such a great sewing machine, it was one of the few 'domestic' Singers that made as good a straight stitch as a zig-zag - many machines (not just Singers) do one or the other beautifully but not both - on a zig-zag machine the straight stitch is never really-really-really true straight. But the Stylist line could go from straight (true straight!) to z-z and right back to a true straight. Bliss, really, for home sewers. I loved my 513 so much I kept it going yonks past its use-by date! Finally, though, it became a very real money pit. When that bobbin gear goes everything seems to go.

But wow-wow-wow, to be lent a '49 Featherweight is amazing! All metal gears, it's really hard to 'kill' a pre-60s Singer and a Featherweight to most of us vintage enthusiasts is the pinnacle of Singer sewing machine ingenuity. I don't blame you for wishing it could be yours, I wish I could find one myself:)

Best wishes for a safe delivery of a beautiful healthy baby for your daughter!

Read More Answers...

April 8, 2016 Flag

I just brought a new sewing machine, a Singer Promise 1408. I had been sewing for approximately half an hour then stopped for a few moments and then started again. Only the machine wouldn't go. The spindle is to the left and from what I can see, there's no threads jammed in the bobbin area or inside the machine. What do I do? I urgently need to complete a bag that I am making for tech or I'll get a low level.

I have three days left and this is important or I'll get bad marks and my teacher would be disappointed and I'm going to be disappointed and also annoyed because this awful machine broke and I looked on the internet and I can't find anything useful and I'll get bad marks and it will be absolutely horrible and I'll get bad marks and my fish will die.
                    And I'll get bad marks. Please help.

I strongly suggest you return the machine to the store for an immediate fix or replacement. Why will your fish die?

November 28, 2015 Flag

I have a Singer 600E, I've threaded the bobbin and all that good stuff. But when I push my pedal down my needle won't move, the motor runs, but nothing happens. Is it my pedal?

It most likely is a problem with the bobbin casing. There is probably a piece of thread stuck in it somewhere and if you don't remove every little piece, it will not go. Sometimes, you can find the piece and pull it out, but sometimes, you just have to take it in.

Read More Answers...

March 26, 2016 Flag

I have a Singer 478 Stylist special zig zig sewing machine.The bobbin is not moving at all. I just purchased the machine and it was frozen so I oiled it in all places and it unfroze itself, but the bobbin is not rotating like it should.

It sounds as though the bobbin gear has given up the ghost. This isn't a home repair, so you'll need to take the machine to a repair tech. Be sure to ask if he/she is using a 'salvage part' (not as reliable, please trust me on this) or a 'new-milled' part (not sure if this part is still being milled but the repair tech should know and be able to source the part for you).

If the tech has to use a salvage part, I urge you to consider retiring your machine. Once the bobbin gear goes on a vintage Singer, the machine quickly become a 'money pit' requiring more time on the repair bench than putting in sewing hours. I'm very sad to say as I love vintage Singers so much I own a few service manuals and do limited repair-refurb for my Sewing 101 students over here in Scotland:)

March 18, 2016 Flag

I want to repair a Singer sewing machine, the Fashion Maker Rotomatic model. I am in need of a the lower bet at the base of the machine. Where can I get one? Thanks.

Try this fellow - he specialises in vintage Singer parts and has an excellent reputation in the US. I live in the UK but my American friends, fellow vintage Singer enthusiasts, highly recommend him - he carries just about everything, and can direct to a source if he doesn't stock it:

http://www.tandtrepair.com/

October 24, 2015 Flag

So I was sewing and the thread got bunched up, the bobbin case or basket had moved. I don't know what to do, I'm super new to sewing and I'm not sure what I'm doing. view of bobbin
                            It looks like the basket has tuned just a bit and the whole machine is stuck. I tried to remove the basket, but it won't budge and I don't want to forced anything.

I agree with Frugal Sunnie. It is likely a piece of thread stuck in there. I don't suppose you have a friend who is an experienced sewer who could look at your machine for you? I guess not, or you would have asked her instead of asking for hints online!! If you did, I would have her check it out if you didn't find the thread yourself, before you take it in to get fixed.

Read More Answers...

October 15, 2015 Flag

I have just bought a Singer 99k. I think it's a Simanco 33663. I've given the machine a good cleaning and oil, I'm happy with how it's cleaned up, all seems well apart from the fact the although the bobbin thread gets picked up it is not being incorporated into the stitch or lack thereof.

Answer This QuestionMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 22, 2015 Flag

I got this machine, a Singer 7444, brand new. The problem happened very soon after I got it. When I go to wind a bobbin, my machine makes a terrible grinding noise and the sewing needle will continue to rise and fall, though slowly. It seems like something isn't disengaging.

Load More
                              Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesApril 12, 2013
                              Singer Stitch Sew Quick
                              Singer Stitch Sew Quick Reviews
                              Handy Stitch Sewing Machine
                              Using a Handy Stitch Sewing Machine
                              Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
                              Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
                              vintage sewing machine
                              Removing Foot Pedal from Inside a Singer Sewing Machine Cabinet
                              © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 26, 2016 at 12:15:15 AM on 10.0.0.92 in 517 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.