Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Repairing a Singer Sewing Machine

Some problems that you may experience with your sewing machine can be repaired or adjusted at home, others will need to be looked at by a repair person. This is a guide about repairing a Singer sewing machine.

Singer 6105 Tension Knob Falls Off - fingers holding knob

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Without the ability to properly adjust the tension on your sewing machine stitches can vary and cause unsightly seams that can be too loose or too tight. This is a guide about repairing the tension knob on a Singer sewing machine.

The bobbin winder on a Singer sewing machine.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

The bobbin winder on your machine is an important feature that you really can't do without. This is a guide about repairing the bobbin winder on a Singer sewing machine.

view of bobbin

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

If the bobbin has become stuck on your Singer sewing machine, you may need to have it repaired professionally. This is a guide about bobbin case in singer machine stuck.

A Singer sewing machine.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

If your Singer sewing machine has stopped working, it may need repair from a professional. This is a guide about singer sewing machine won't sew.

February 27, 2017 Flag

I have a Singer 5500 and I'm trying to make buttonholes automatically. My machine won't do it correctly and I have watched so many videos on it (which were not good). It will sew to the top then just start sewing side to side in one place. Help!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Some buttonholers sew that way. They sew the end and one side. You may have to turn the fabric around to complete the buttonhole. Do you have the manual that came with it? You may be able to get it online.

March 13, 2017 Flag

I have just received an old Singer 5528 machine that I have cleaned and oiled, but when I turn the stitch knob to say zig-zag nothing happens. It just sews straight. Can I fix this myself or do I need a professional?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Make sure you have no thread blockage. If you still have the problem, the knob or the piece behind it may be broken and you will need to have it serviced.

March 1, 2017 Flag

I have a Singer 301A sewing machine. What to do if the little arm that's used to open bobbin case (to take out and/or insert bobbin) breaks?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You buy a new one. Many sewing stores carry them. Some Walmart stores even have them for the machines they sell. The last time I bought one it was around $30. Here is one place that sells them online http://www.sing  ocasi301221.html

February 13, 2017 Flag

My Singer sewing machine 6199 has an error code of E7 on it. I've checked everything and I only see that the plastic part on the light has broken and the light got hung down little bit.

Does that affect the sewing machine by locked up?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you so much for you answer! I've already checked the button hole lever and it's not that.

It is the plastic for the light. I've went and bought a super glue and I glued the 2 pieces back together and it works.

February 28, 2017 Flag

I have a model Singer ET-1 sewing machine. The needle won't move when pushing pedal or buttons. It occasionally sounds like it is trying, but can't move. It flashes an exclamation point on the screen. No other error codes. I am able to easily turn the knob and it stitches fine when doing that.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here is the link to the user manual for this machine: https://www.man  Finish-Et-1.html

If this doesn't help you, take it to a repair shop.

February 10, 2017 Flag

I have a Singer 99K (knee controlled) which runs on its own continuously. How do I fix this?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can look on you tube for a bunch of ways to fix it. I just checked and they have a lot.

January 13, 2017 Flag

I have a Singer Esteem sewing machine that recently froze up. The hand wheel does not turn. I have checked for errant threads in the bobbin case as well as the spool threading areas. Any ideas what could be wrong?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is happened to ours have you found out what was wrong with yours . it would be helpful to me to know thank you

January 8, 2017 Flag

I have an old Singer Stylist 413. I was sewing a fleece blanket, heavy weight, and heard a loud squeaky noise, After oiling it, the sound was better. While sewing, the hook timing gear that the bobbin case fits into stopped turning. I tried moving it manually and it is super tight. It basically seized up. The hand wheel turns and the needle goes up and down, the timing gear just isn't turning. Any thoughts?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

http://www.sewi  nger-155819.aspx

it's probebly the solution..

January 2, 2017 Flag

I have Singer sewing machine, model 9111. The fuse went off with a bang! Is there somewhere I can by a new fuse or a new mother board (circuit card)?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you :)

March 12, 2016 Flag

I got a Singer sewing machine model 7011. It stitches on the top, but gathers on the bottom of the fabric. We changed the bobbin, but nothing changed. What would be the next step? We got it at a garage sale about 10yrs ago.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you want to keep this machine, invest in a 'professional' to go over it for you. Sometimes a needle breaks and all pieces don't get removed, to wrong type of thread used, bobbin aged, esp if using metal bobbin. Keeping machine clean is very important, and oiled regularly WHERE it is required. Hope you have the manual for it, OR you can google MANUAL for said machine and model. They are online, some free. I recently updated from my 30 year old machine. Had one from the 1960 prior to that. And yes, they moved to the basement for non-intricate sewing. They can still do tarps, heavy jackets, jean zippers, etc. Taking care of machines is what keeps them going.

December 17, 2016 Flag

Oh yes I still have this machine. I do not sew a great deal, just hem and mend. For some reason my bobbin stops winding after just a small amount of thread is put on it. Any thoughts? I have not had it serviced for a bit. I am just looking for an answer to get through this current need, then service or a new machine perhaps?
Thanks for any help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Could it be a tension problem? Sometimes the threading can cause sticking and pulling. Also I would try letting the machine run as if sewing while bobbin winding, in case the problem is in the switch. Another cause might be in the winder itself; I'd check to see if some thread has been caught on the spindle underneath and out of sight.

November 1, 2016 Flag

I need to remove the back cover of my Singer 3827 so that I can replace the spool holder and pin. I've tried unscrewing the obvious parts on the back cover, but couldn't seem to get the cover off. Is there a trick to this?

Any help appreciated!
Thanks

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Mine has screws on the top and side. See if you can download a manual for your machine. A lot of them are free.

November 6, 2016 Flag

I have a Singer 257 sewing machine. The needle side zig zag looks good. The bobbin side is a straight line--no zig zag. Is this out of time or what? Something simple or not?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Perhaps your bobbin needs to be reversed?

July 23, 2016 Flag

I have a Featherweight sewing machine, circa 1950, Mod#221-1. I don't use it much and then only for hemming slacks, shorts, fixing my flags, etc. It has always worked great. The last time I set it up for use was about 2 weeks ago. I was half way finished with my job when I noticed it was stitching perfectly on top, but the bottom stitching was all bunching up. So I pulled all of the stitching out and was going to start over, but needed more thread on the bobbin. I was just starting the process of filling the bobbin when it just quit functioning. The motor will run fine, but it just won't sew. The belt is looking good and motor is good. I tried to turn the wheel on the right, but can't. However, the sewing arm will slightly move up/down when I try to move the wheel, but it just won't move any further. It is as if something is either broken or has become disconnected, so that it won't function. I would like to try to fix this with some help before I turn it loose on some of the local repair persons. None have very good references and all try to overcharge and have no customer service. I'll take any help you can give me.

BTW: I'm new to sewing and have only used this machine which does nothing but straight stitch. Additionally, this has a lot of sentimental value since it was my grandma's and my mother's before she gave it to me.
Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The Singer Featherweight is an excellent machine! Yours may need grease in some of it's internal gears and oil in all it's other thirsty places. Here is a great blog post about cleaning and lubricating your Featherweight: http://jillybej  atherweight.html

I am also including a link to Dave McCallum's site where you can purchase a very informative DVD and book about restoring, cleaning, and maintaining your Featherweight. http://featherweight221.com/

I truly hope you get your lovely machine back in working order. There's really nothing new that can compare to the vintage sewing machines. I am now the proud "parent" of a Minnesota Model D treadle machine (1912), a Singer 66 Redeye that I am going to convert to a hand crank machine (1911), a Japanese clone of the Singer 15 (circa 1950), and a Kenmore 158 (late 60's early 70's). They each have their own quirks, but each of them sew much better than my modern Singer Curvy (which I am considering selling.)

I truly hope the above listed sites can offer you the assistance you need in order get your lovely little lady up and running again. I hope she brings you many more years of happiness, especially since she belonged to your grandmother and your mother. Family heirlooms such as that should be treasured members of the family as well as functional ones.

God bless,

Lacey

September 19, 2016 Flag

I have a Singer Confidence Quilter machine. I lowered the feed dog to sew on a button and they will not go back up. Help?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Apparently in this model there are no such things as feed dogs that go up. Instead there is a darning place.

"On your Singer, you don't actually raise / lower the feed dog. Instead you attach a "darning plate" (which should have come with the machine) which covers the feed dogs so they do not come in contact with the fabric. See a page from the owner's manual using this link within my web site: http://www.sewv  d_Drop.pdf"

http://www.fixy  ilter_cannot_get

November 4, 2016 Flag

I have a Singer heavy duty sewing machine. The thread got stuck inside the bobbin box and now it's very hard to move the needle up and down. How can I fix this?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had this happen once and it was a bobbin that was just a bit too big. I had to take apart the assemblage from underneath and dig it out. I now use just plastic. If that doesn't help, you may have to take it in but these days, a used one is cheaper than repairs.

Hope that helps.

Load More
Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesApril 12, 2013
Repairing the Bobbin Winder on a Singer Sewing Machine
view of bobbin
Bobbin Case Stuck on a Singer Sewing Machine
A Singer sewing machine.
Singer Sewing Machine Won't Sew
Repairing a Tension Knob on a Singer Sewing Machine
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 23, 2017 at 8:29:45 PM on 10.0.1.182 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.