Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a fairly new Yard Machine riding mower that I'm selling. I haven't used it since September. It's been covered with a tarp against the snow. I tried starting it, and it tries to turn over and then slowly declines to ticking.

I've charged the battery, but it still won't turn over. Could the extreme cold prevent it from starting, or could maybe the spark plug have frozen? Help.

By Tonya from Valparaiso, IN

Riding Mower Won't Start

Well, if you have charged the battery and it still does not start it could be that the gas is no good. Gas should have been drained when you put the mower away in the fall. Some people use a product call Stabil to keep the gas fresh.

Now that gas is blended with ethanol that could also be a problem. Or it could be the gas has water mixed in with it. In any case I think the gas tank, gas lines, and carburetor should be purged of the gas that is in the mower now.

Also, spark plugs don't freeze. (01/04/2010)

By foxrun41

Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Riding Mower
Repairing a MTD Riding Mower
removing riding mower wheel
Removing a Wheel from a Riding Mower
Man Fixing Mower
Mower Won't Start
Craftsman Riding Mower
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start