Selling Crafts Online

Selling crafts online can be an excellent way to earn some extra income. However, navigating the plethora of ways there are to sell your wares is a difficult task. This is a guide to selling crafts online.

August 6, 2011 Flag

To start up selling online, an easy option is to chose a site to post on that already sells. Google the craft your planning to sell and see what sites sell things similar to them. This means people already see and visit these sites for that area of interest. Why reinvent the wheel?

If you hope to go big, you may also want your own site that distinguishes you as a separate business and to post your associated name. This can then be linked to the posts on the aforementioned crafting sites to advertise and sell from.

By lavtoad from OH

A good site to start with, with regard to crafts, is Etsy.com. This site specializes in helping crafters move their products.

If this site appeals to you go to similarsites.com, a search engine for comparing web sites, and do a search on etsy.com through their engine. You will be shown similar sites and a percentage with regard to HOW similar the web site you are considering is to Etsy.

May 29, 2013 Flag

I have found a new craft site for buying and selling crafts. The administrators are a lovely couple, Andrew and Kimberley. There is a warm, cozy community feeling there, like here at ThriftyFun. There is almost immediate help with technical issues. I have had to ask for help several times, being a not too savvy old person. You'll find a forum board for discussions.

I'd love for all of you to have a look since there are many talented crafters here. In this day of internet, sharing this would be a fine addition to your "favorites" list.

Link: http://www.handmadeartists.com

February 26, 2012 Flag

Does anyone sell homemade items online? If so, I need some advice from you. I need to supplement my low income and want to sell online, but don't know how to go about it. Is there a book for beginners or just some advice you can give me as to the cheapest way to get started? I don't have any money to invest in the business. Do I have to sign up for a domain name, or website creation? Does that come free with sites like Etsy? I am in the dark here. Any help would be appreciated.

By Connie J.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There is a website called etsy.com that people use to sell their craft items. Go there and see what you can find out. You can also advertise your items locally. Just be sure that what you make is something that others want and that it is priced right. Also when I see a homemade item that I like I figure out how I can make it for my own use, for about half the price that it is marked.

I have sold on ebay for over 10 years (though not regularly) and etsy (although I have bought more on etsy than I have sold). Etsy and eBay provide you the "website". (You can of course, go pay for and make your own website, but my advice is to start on some of these pre-made websites initially to learn the ropes and see if your items will sell.) Etsy: You pay them to list items (it is cheap, last I knew it was 20 cents an item), and when it sells they take a small percentage (a very fair percentage) of the sale.

It is easy to list things, the pictures are a bit trickier, but they make that fairly easy also. The items also are searchable on the web, which can draw outside traffic. To join etsy, you sign up and provide credit card and then list your items. Joining is free (eBay also). If you don't know much about making your own page on Etsy, you can buy "banners" from other sellers fairly inexpensively. (eBay also) Etsy is easy, pleasant and a wonderful site, both in terms of selling and buying.

On Etsy pictures are very important, so aim to have the best pictures possible. Go on there and study it a few days before you start, is my advice (and what I did years ago)...(study the rules, see what people are selling, etc). Likewise on Ebay. Crafts on Ebay do sell, but in my opinion, it's not the best forum for crafts since ebay specializes more in "new items" (originally it was a site to sell collectables and you still can, but they have gotten radically away from their original format).

Ebay's listing fees are much more expensive (50 cents per item, last I knew) and their end of sale cut is hovering around ten percent and you pay fees to PayPal (which they own) when people pay with credit / debit cards and last I knew that is the only way you can pay on eBay now, whereas on Etsy other methods of payment are accepted. The costs really add up, when you have several items that don't sell.

Also, the great advantage of Etsy over eBay (besides the fact that Etsy's forum is crafts) is the items stay on Etsy 2 or 3 months, and you have about a week on eBay. Study other people's rules before you start and develop some of your own (your refund policy, policy on mailing times, etc.) Rules might seem "funny" but there are reasons for them.

A fair amount of buyers (about 1 in 10 try this) are dishonest and will say they didn't "get something" (or it's broken)...in the mail, when in fact, they did and want you to refund their money and they get something free (Lost in the mail is fairly rare).

Either do confirmation tracking on your items or have a policy regarding this (Ebay has a "not allowed" policy on this. eBay also favors the buyer, no longer allowing for negative feedback by the seller, which is very unfair.)

Answer all emails, be nice to everyone, follow up on everything and be on the ball @ all times. Pack your items well if they are breakable. Insure very expensive / breakable items. Have an attitude of fairness and treat this like a job. Hope this helps.

Anybody can tell you a lot about this, but honestly, just get out there and do it and you will get the hang of it quickly. Both ebay and etsy make listing items very simple. Also, there are tons of other websites for selling. I haven't tried many of them, so don't consider myself too knowledgeable on them, but if you really want to be successful, spread your work out among several sites and get your own website eventually.

People do make and sell "how to do" books on ebay and etsy, just to let you know, I don't know how useful they are. I think some people just make up these booklets without necessarily having sold anything much other than the booklets :).

A couple of more things. Don't hold me to the fees, etc. for eBay, etsy. I basically sell mostly at Christmas and things change in the meantime :). Also, get to know your automated mailing machine @ the post office. This is a wonderful way to mail things, since you can go there at odd times of day or night and mail things. Much better than standing in lines! Study the postal stuff also as you get started (usps.com).

Yes, Etsy is my choice of online venues. Other venues have not held the mark like Etsy, but it is a lot of work, an investment in time and listing fees, plus Etsy takes a cut when you sell.

I think you would be better off checking out online surveys. They pay and if you did this every day it could supplement your income. Clark howard.com and kim komando.com both have great suggestions on their websites for what online jobs work and which to stay away from. If you are a supply seller or vintage seller you might give Etsy.com a go.

Supplies sell really well on Etsy. I hope you find what you are looking for. The handmade movement is taking a firm hold on the online market right now.

October 8, 2012 Flag

I would like to sell my windows online. Should I create a store or website? Please let me know how to go about it.

By mags57

I have seen people have a page on Face Book to sell their crafts. You could give that a try.

Etsy is a good place to get started selling crafts online, they have a very user-friendly set-up and they don't charge a lot for the exposure to customers.

Good luck, I hope you sell tonnes of your windows:)

Why not load a photo of each with a freebie listing in Craigs' List or Kjiji? Find out what your buying attraction is before paying to sell.

October 31, 2014 Flag

I decorated about 20 wine bottles and have given them to people as gifts. I enjoy doing it so much that I have more decorated bottles than people to give them to. I thought of flea markets, or eBay? Is there any advice on where to sell it?

By Chilli Pepper

Perhaps a wine shop would sell your bottles. They would make a great display in their window to attract customers. They would probably sell nicely at a consignment shop, as well.

July 24, 2010 Flag

I am interested in selling my craft items. May I know on which sites I can sell them? Also, I am interested to take class for doll making and craft class for children and ladies (i.e) who want some knowledge of arts items and tanjore paintings and all type of paintings. Can you please give me an idea?

By kavi from Chennai

etsy.com

ebay.com

artfire.com

bigcartel.com

handmadeartists.com

Here's a list of places to sell your crafts online:

http://www.winterberryoriginals.com/where-to-sell-online.html

January 9, 2012 Flag

I have the worlds largest tuna fish, hand crafted using gathered sticks and tree bark. Where can I post it and where can I sell it? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

By blogtwistmystick

How about eBay or Craigslist?

Etsy.com would be good bet - it's supported by and for crafters and artisans.

March 21, 2010 Flag

Does anyone want to sell their craft items? Please let me know of other craft related places where you can sell or buy craft items.

By Gina from Manchester, UK

Etsy.com is the only one I can think of.

July 24, 2010 Flag

Where can I sell my crafts online besides Etsy, and eBay?

By Monique R. from Creighton, SK

Answers:

Selling Crafts Online

blujay.com (reminds me of ebay - all sorts of stuff)

artfire.com (more like etsy)

I feel like I know about a couple other places, but can't think of them right now.

Best of luck. I've kept my etsy shop empty for the past year or so, just too busy with my daughter and life. I found out one of my good friends officially closed her etsy shop over the summer. She said sales were down dramatically in the last year. I think about re-photographing and starting to list items again, but I'm just so busy volunteering at school and I'm not comfortable with our new camera. Sometime I'll get around to it! Hope you find the right venue(s) and you have lots of sales. (10/09/2009)

By mrs.story

Selling Crafts Online

Google etsy, ebay, and when it pulls up a list look for the word similar towards the bottom and hit that. Ruby Lane might be a possibility. (10/09/2009)

By PIKKA

Selling Crafts Online

Try shophandmade.com By NoRulesArt

Selling Crafts Online

I remembered another! lov.li. I haven't visited their site in ages, but it was okay a while back.

(10/11/2009)

By mrs.story

Selling Crafts Online

Why not take a look at Craigslist also. They might have a section for hand/homemade items. The only thing is that people would have to come to you (I think) so that might limit you. (10/15/2009)

By Mom81402

October 8, 2009 Flag

Does any one have any ideas or suggestions about how to sell my crafts online? I don't want to use eBay.

Thanks for your help.

Darlene from MI

Answers:

Selling Crafts Online

Take a peek at freewebs.com

You can set up your own website for free, I have seen other web spots on there where people sell their products. Good luck. Let us know what you use so we can check it out.
(07/17/2006)

By mobo

Selling Crafts Online

This kijiji website is for free classified ads by location, it is completely free.

www.kijiji.ca (07/17/2006)

By Dawn

Selling Crafts Online

Darlene, ETSY is the number one web site to buy and sell handmade items. Check it out at etsy.com (07/18/2006)

By Marnita

Selling Crafts Online

Yes, go to Ebay.com and sign up to sell your crafts online.
Customers just love home made items. (07/19/2006)

By Dorie

A woman with money flying out of her smartphone.
Earning Money Online
Crafts Selling CraftsJuly 20, 2011
Handyman Finding Appliance Manuals Online
Finding Appliance Manuals Online
A woman paying her bills online.
Paying Bills Online
A woman pushing a cart of presents.
Finding Black Friday Deals Online
Three tiny gift bags standing on a laptop keyboard
Selling Items Online
🎄