Senior Dog Peeing on Rugs

I have a 15 yr old blind Maltese that is peeing on my rugs. Is there a spray or something I can do?

By Laura

Keep the dog on a leash so she has to be with you at all times. Be sure to get her outside plenty of times. At 15 she may be losing bladder control. Once her scent is there to her that's the place to go.

Your dog may need dog diapers. This is probably old age incontinence.

The problem is NOT medical related. Most of the time dogs that were once potty trained (like my maltipoo) can randomly abandon that training out of jealousy or other emotions... That's the situation that I'm experiencing too. It's annoying and nothing seems to work... I want some sort of spray that repels our discourages dogs from peeing on my rugs

Have your dog checked for diabetes if she is urinating a lot more than usual and/or drinking a lot more water. It is easy to treat and they feel much better.

Treating the diabetes does not help with the peeing in the house. My 5 year old malti-poo pees on our good wool area rug regularly despite constant trips to the vet, insulin injections twice/daily and special foods. The peeing inside has gotten worse since the diabetes and the volume of water she drinks and urine she pees is huge. Our vet said not to use the doggie diapers on our female because it would encourage bladder infections.

We had a female Labrador once who lost the ability to properly control her bladder. We had a doggy diaper and everything. Then the vet put her on oestrogen pills. Problem solved.